TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Dreams-From the Eyes of Nara Shikamkaru by Shabuki

[Reviews - 3]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes: I don't own Naruto.....sad, isn't it?
Chapter notes: Kay, enjoy! Thanks for reading!
Love ya, Shaa

This story was written for my new friend at my new school. Her name is Chloe. She draws, like, uber good.
Even though its so short, it took me forever to post....because my computer is so evil....T_T
No one would find me here. That had been so since I was little. I was always escaping my chores. Hey, I just got home from a day training my butt off with Asuma-sensei. I didn’t wanna work more. I’d stay here till the sky got dark and I saw the first shining star in the sky, then I’d trod my way back home to my angry mother who would lecture me on the importance of responsibilities. I’d let it go right over my head, shoo it away, just to do the same thing again tomorrow. That was me, that was my life.

I plopped down in the damp grass and laid back. The scent of spring grass filled my senses. It was a good smell. Then I turned my attention to the clouds. They were pure snow white and fluffy today. That was my favorite kind of cloud. They reminded me of the more pure and happy things in life. I wasn’t really one for happiness and the like, but occasionally it was okay. I mean, it was really rare that the clouds were that shape and color. I yawned loudly. I could feel the cool breeze, the warm summer sun on my face, and the cool green grass beneath me. In the distance I heard the small waterfall on the other side of the large vast field and the birds chirping away on the other side of the hokage monument. Peaceful. They were the perfect conditions for a nap. I plucked a dandelion from the ground and stared at the clouds. I began to pull off the petals one by one, waiting for my eyes to get too heavy to stay open. I hummed quietly to myself as I watched the clouds move slowly over the horizon.

I closed my eyes and ceased my humming. Sleep was almost overcoming me. I lay there, quiet and content, for some amount of time. I was at that point now, where you’re not fully conscious, yet not fully asleep. And then I heard something. It was like a whimper. I could still sort of think in this state, so I assumed it was a dream of some sort. Then I heard it again. It was louder this time, so it woke me of my almost asleep trance. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

No one knew about this place. That was for sure. It was on the other side of the hokage monument. Most people think the only way to get there would be to go over them. A painful process. Troublesome, very troublesome. I found a small crevice in the stone. If I turn myself into a small dog, I can fit through it easily. Then I continue through the dense forest and eventually, I come to my meadow. Its all fresh green grass with dandelions. There is a perfect clear view of the clouds and a small stream that goes under the monuments and feeds the waterfall on the other side. Its like it was made only for me. And I’ve never seen anyone else here. Until that day.

I lazily scanned the meadow and sure enough I saw an orange speck, a distant dot, right by the stream. I knew it was the Uzumaki kid. Well, I knew cause, really now, who else wears vibrant orange? I slowly stood up. Then I realized Naruto was crying. He made a loud sob as I got to my feet. He still hadn’t realized I was there, we were some amount apart still. I slowly made my way toward him, hearing his soft whimpers get louder. But he sobbed less and less as I got near him. I guess he was almost cried out now. I wasn’t far from him now. He whimpered twice more, sniffed, and ceased his crying. He was still breathing heavy when I approached. “Hey,” I said tiredly as I came up behind him. He turned to look, shiny tears creating a stream from his blue eyes. “Shikamaru!” he said surprised, as he quickly wiped away his tears.

I soundlessly sat down beside him. He had his knees pulled up to his chest and his arms wrapped around his legs. I unbuckled my sandals and sat them down beside me. Then I dipped my feet in the cold river water and felt the water beating through my toes. The current was strong today. Now usually I don’t give out advice or listen to people’s problems, but seeing the ever rambunctious Naruto Uzumaki hiding by a stream with tears streaming down his face, I decided to help. Or try to anyway...

“What’s wrong Uzumaki?” I asked rather casually, like I was trying to make a quick conversation cause I was bored. The real meaning of my asking was well and deep beyond that. I was, I must admit, rather curious. Naruto dropped his head. “Do you believe in dreams?” he asked me. What kind of a question is that? I was shocked and I really had nothing to say. Why would the #1 knuckleheaded ninja of Konoha bring up a subject so deep? He saw the confusion on my face when he peeked up at me through his blonde bangs. “I guess I’ll have to tell you the whole story,” said Naruto. There, that was more of the Naruto I knew. Dense as a rock. I nodded to him and he sighed. Then, he began to unbuckle his sandals as well. He pulled the blue cloth through the metal clasps and put his next to mine. He dipped his pale feet into the water.

“Sasuke says dreams are silly. I told my team that my dream was to become hokage. I told them I would stop at nothing to accomplish my dream,” Naruto said. His tears were beginning to build up again. He continued his story. “Then Sasuke smirked and told me I was an idiot. He said that dreams never ever come true and I’m just wasting my time. He said I’m just going to go nowhere if I follow my ‘so-called dreams.’ But I do believe! I believe in dreams! Believe it!” He buried his hand in his palms and sniffed.

I looked up at the sky. At the clouds. Now what was I supposed to say to that? That story was… well… I think the best word to use would be…deep. Deep for Naruto at least. I closed my eyes. I couldn’t believe he would say that….. I realized that me and Naruto were very different….. I was the type of cloud that floated gently along with the wind. He was the type that fought against the wind and caused storms. I found my answer.

“Dreams,” I said, still looking at the clouds, but I could feel him turn his head toward me, “are troublesome.” His expression dropped. “Uchiha’s right. You’ll never get anywhere like that.” His expression dropped lower. “I, on the other hand,” I continued, “believe in plans.” He lifted his head. “Plans?” he repeated. I nodded. “Dreams are something you highly hope to happen. But it never ever does. Plans are the set routes of life that take you where ever you want to go. And all they require is a little brain power and some goals.” I watched him as my lesson went to his head. His dumbfounded look was soon replaced by a grin of pure giddiness. He pulled his feet out of the stream and strapped his shoes back on. “Yes!” he said so happily he almost fell over into the stream. “I have a plan! A plan to become hokage! I’ll map out my plan and live by it everyday. Thank you Shikamaru! Thank you!” He jumped up and began to run back toward the village. He waved and grinned wildly over his shoulder as he ran. I smiled and waved back until he was out of sight.

Then I pulled my feet out of the stream and placed them in the warm grass. I laid down and closed my eyes. Sleep came easy after that.

Today I heard Naruto beat Sasuke in a sparring match. That’s just another step in his plan to hokage.



The end! Yay!


For Chloe, my new friend at my new school.