TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Strange New World by Hiei Urameshi

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Naruto; they both have their respected creators.

Note: The fanfic is set before the Chuunin exams. Therefore it is AU to most of the anime. This is the first time I have written a Naruto fic, so please leave feedback as to what I am doing wrong.
“Why did you have to try and show off, idiot?” The short swordsman asked the taller one. “You knew that he could reflect attacks.” He replaced the bandaging over the strange dragon tattoo and over the line on his forehead. “What made you think that your Jigen Tou would be any different, fool?” Offering a hand to his other companions, he stared as the taller swordsman until he rose to his feet. He looked at the redhead once he was sure that the other was up. “How do we get home, Kurama?” He asked. The one named Kurama looked into the distance, his emerald eyes closed in concentration. “Don’t hold any theories you have back either, fox-boy, I know what you are like when you try to cover things up.”

“I do not know, Hiei.” Kurama eventually said. “It is likely that this is not even the same world we left.” His eyes opened, fixing on his, as yet, unmentioned allies. “Because we were caught in a reflected Jigen Tou blast I suspect that it is most likely the case. I cannot detect the presence of our families in the near area. Not to mention that this is thick forest, while Tokyo is a built up city.” His eyes set on the black haired teen. “Yusuke, I suggest a vote of caution. We do not know where we are, nor if the area is safe or not. I also suggest that we keep a tight rein on our power until we know more about where we are.” The teen, named Yusuke, nodded. “Kuwabara?” The large orange-haired teen nodded. “Good, at least we can rest easy for a while. Hiei, could you…” Kurama looked for the short, red-eyed demon and couldn’t see him. “Where has he gone off to?”

Hiei leaped from tree to tree, the wood here felt totally different. It was more… alive than the woods in the Ningenkai he knew. It didn’t take long to locate food, there was a stream full of glistening fish for him to take back to the others, and he quickly caught a dozen before heading back. Laying the fish on the ground in front of the others he built a fire, before lighting it, to allow the fish to cook. “I saw a village in the distance but nobody near by, but that isn’t saying that we are totally alone.” He said as he skewered the fish onto sticks. “Even a fire as small as this can catch attention of somebody passing by.”

The three Genins from group 7, the pink-haired Sakura, the black haired Sasuke and the blond haired Naruto, waited on the bridge, when suddenly their teacher appeared. “Sorry for being late, but a beautiful woman needed help to put out a fire in her home.” He said, prompting the usual ‘Liar’ response from Naruto and Sakura. “Anyway, I have got your new mission. We are to go and investigate the instance of a small fire in the forest outside. One of the night watchmen saw it being lit upstream of the village.” The three trainees nodded, Naruto having to force himself not to complain. He hated the easy missions like this. “Now for all we know it could be traders, but they are close enough to the village that it warrants investigation.”

Naruto wanted to scream and shout. This was surely a D-class mission, and would likely be a boring ‘Follow the strangers out of the area, or find out what they were after’ mission. Secretly Naruto wished that they would be hostile, wanting to fight. Then he would save the day, thereby proving to everybody who the best ninja was. He also realised that a mission such as this had to be done for him to become Hokage of Konoha. Kakashi could clearly see the cogs of recognition beginning to turn in Naruto’s head. Since he had seen the dawning of recognition in the young Genin, he felt that he was ready for anything that Naruto could throw at him. “Can we go now, Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto asked excitedly. “Please, Kakashi-sensei!”

Sasuke could only watch as his blond teammate made a fool of himself. He knew that Naruto would want to rush things, however he desired more information. “Kakashi-sensei, how much more can you tell us about the mission?” He asked. “Surely one of the other teams would be of better use than us. This seems to be a simple reconnaissance mission after all. A mission with a low possibility of an encounter with enemies that could do damage.” Sasuke looked directly at Kakashi, as though trying to pull the answers out of the Jounin. ‘I can’t help but feel that the Hokage sent Kakashi to check it out, and not us as a team. I have a strong suspicion that something is being held back, and that the mission isn’t as straightforward as it first seems.’

“There is one more thing. A large amount of energy was felt from the forest before the fire was seen to be burning, and there is a possibility that the fire was the result. Part of our mission is to determine what caused the energy release.” Kakashi said as he led his group towards the forest. “This should take less than a day to complete, and it gives the team another mission point. Once we are in the forest, be on your guard. We do not know what we may find.” Kakashi said, running into the forest, closely followed by his subordinates. Moving silently through the forest, Kakashi almost missed the fact that another was watching them, a child no older than the Genins that made up his team. The child was sitting quietly in a tree, but before Kakashi could get a better look, the boy started running through the trees as though he was on flat ground, and soon a second and a third followed. However a fourth hurried along in the undergrowth, making some noise. Obviously this ninja wasn’t much good.

“What do we do, Kakashi-sensei?” Sakura asked, sliding to a halt on a moss-covered stump. “They have gone in two different directions.”

“Sakura, follow the one on foot. The three of us shall take the ones that fled through the trees.” Sakura nodded and disappeared, following the one that had been fool enough to disappear that way. “Sasuke, take the smaller one in their group. I believe that he could be the most troublesome of the group. Try to defeat him by any means necessary.” Kakashi then turned his attention to Naruto. “Get the other dark haired one, Naruto. I think he would be more suited to your tastes than the third one. I have no doubt that he is the more experienced of the group, and I think that it was his idea that they hide in the trees and undergrowth, and to split up, decreasing the number that they would have to fight.” He raised his hand to stop Naruto complaining. “We want them alive, Naruto-san, not dead. Also I want to take back my team alive. That is why I have chosen you to take on the ones that you will do best against.” Naruto sighed. He wanted the small troublesome one. “Now let’s catch them.” The two Genins nodded and followed their Jounin into the race to get the ninjas.

“They noticed Kuwabara. That idiot should have stayed still.” Hiei said as he moved from tree to tree. “He should have listened to you, Kurama, however he did us a favour by evening up the numbers.” Hiei then turned his attention to what lay ahead. “Before us is a glade, a perfect arena for you, fox. Further in the distance is open grassland. It is a perfect place for Yusuke and myself. We should have no problem facing them there.” When they came to the wide glade, Yusuke and Hiei leaped over, leaving Kurama in the ‘arena’.

Kakashi noticed the glade, and that only two jumped over to the other side. His opponent must be awaiting his arrival in the glade. Jumping down, Kakashi came face-to-face with a feminine, red-haired, young man. He looked no older than his subordinates. However the look in the emerald eyes made Kakashi rethink the boy’s age. The mind was far more mature than the body let on. “Who are you?” Kakashi asked, watching as the boy reached behind his ear, bringing out a single red rose. That act alone surprised Kakashi, however that wasn’t the only surprise that the boy had in store, as a moment later, that beautiful rose became a thorny whip.

“My name is Minamino Shuichi.” Kurama said quietly. “However, to my friends I am known as Kurama.” His left hand twitched slightly as he allowed his youki to extend into the surrounding area, asking the plants to aid him in the match. “I would also like to warn you, that since you have followed me here, that it will be difficult for you to escape.” Then, as if to prove its ‘master’ right, the grass twined around Kakashi’s ankles, forming a light hold on his feet. The sudden sensation made Kakashi jump back. “You need more distance than that, my friend.” Kurama said, however instead of looking too phased by Kurama’s attack, Kakashi started forming a seal. Kurama was confused, why was the man making such movements, and in curiosity, he remained motionless, studying Kakashi’s hands.

Kakashi was surprised that his opponent was allowing him to perform a seal that could remove his slight advantage. A moment later and the seal was complete. Slamming his palm against the ground, the vegetation started to wither and burn, making Kurama’s eyes widen. How could a few hand movements cause such devastation? Kakashi could see the shock in Kurama’s eyes and realised that the stranger knew nothing about the techniques that he could utilise. Normally Konoha’s Copy Ninja would end the fight there and then, by either disappearing or killing his opponent, however he was compelled to stay. A few more ninjas for Konoha wouldn’t hurt, especially a plant user such as this child. He felt as though he had to encourage him to join Konoha, along with his friends if possible. “Shuichi, was it?” He asked as Kurama prepared to attack once more. “I am most impressed by your plant based jutsu, it is something that I have never come across much in the past, and I believe that Konoha could help you improve your current abilities, and also learn new ones if you wish.” Kakashi easily avoided the whiplash, before revealing his Sharingan eye. Only then did he see Kurama flicking something in his direction, which he avoided with ease.

“What is wrong with your eye?” Kurama asked, keeping his distance. He was still unaware of most of Kakashi’s possible attacks, but once more curiosity struck him. “Why do you keep it covered? Why is it red?” Seeing Kurama’s curiosity, Kakashi smiled under his mask. Indeed this was no ninja, nor was he from a hidden village. If he were, he wouldn’t need to ask such a question. Even if he didn’t know about Kakashi, he would have known about the Uchiha Clan, one of the Kekkei Genkai, or Bloodline Limit, Clans of Konoha, the very family from whom he received his left eye.

“This eye allows me to see things that others may miss, and copy techniques that I witness only once.” Kakashi said. He was now sure that he could get this fellow to join the Hidden Village of the Leaf, and also get him to encourage his companions to do so too. “I have mastered over a thousand techniques, and many that would leave you in pain, should I decide to use them.” Kurama smiled slightly.

“You have quite a talent.” Kurama said, changing his whip back into a rose. “I have never before seen such a sight, however it does seem similar to Hiei’s Jagan Eye in some aspects.” This time it was Kakashi’s turn to be curious. “Hiei was the shortest of the pair that your two boys went after.” The emeralds glittered. “I am the second weakest in our small group, after the one you sent your girl after. However I am by far the most intelligent.” Kakashi looked shocked; his Genins were chasing two powerful fighters. “However, it doesn’t mean that they cannot be defeated. I am sure that your boys shall find a way, Kakashi-san.” The intake of breath was the only sign of surprise that Kurama received. “Do not be so surprised. I have very good hearing. You are Kakashi, your girl is Sakura, and your two boys are Sasuke and Naruto.” Kurama placed his palm against the ground, making the flora grow once more. “As I said I am the most intelligent of my group, and I know a… favourable situation when I see one. Joining this village of yours could be the best thing that we could do as a group. We would have a place of safety, and a place where we could learn. Now, shall we catch up with the others?” All Kakashi did was give a single nod, and they disappeared in the same direction as Yusuke, Hiei, Sasuke and Naruto had.

Arriving at the ‘battle field’, Yusuke looked at Hiei before their chasers arrived. “Watch yourself, Hiei, they could be dangerous.” Yusuke said as Naruto and Sasuke arrived on the scene, watching as the blond faced him. “It looks like they have already picked whom they shall face.” He then leaped away from Hiei, Naruto following closely behind. Facing off against Naruto, Yusuke could get a good look at his opponent. It was obvious that he was younger than Yusuke was, yet there was something in Yusuke’s mind, telling him not to get over confident about an easy win. Overall the thought of fighting the youth excited him, and Hiei, who snickered, didn’t miss the sight laid out before him.

“What is so funny?” Sasuke asked, drawing Hiei’s attention to him, garnering a lofty look from the half Koorime, making his smirk widen. The view angered Sasuke more. “Tell me!”

“Yusuke is looking forward to fighting your friend. I have seen this look in his eye a few times in the past, most often when he is anticipating a good fight.” Hiei fully faced Sasuke, his crimson eyes, and meeting Sasuke’s onyx gaze. The Uchiha could only stare at Hiei, who seemed to possess Sharingan eyes of his own. “What are you staring at?” Hiei asked, and when he got no answer, he took up a fighting stance. Sasuke’s gaze felt threatening to him. In response to Hiei, Sasuke activated his own Sharingan eyes. “You want to fight too, that is good.” Hiei said, hand on his katana, however his attention was drawn to Yusuke, hearing him fire his Shotgun, leaving Hiei partially open to attack. He could see many identical blonds flying backwards, and one-by-one they disappeared.

Seeing his opponent was distracted, Sasuke started forming a seal, the one for his fireball technique. Once complete, Sasuke blew through the created seal, forming his attack, that of a searing hot flame, that could possibly cause a lot of damage, however it seemed to just wash over Hiei’s form. There was a bright flash and suddenly the flames disappeared, leaving Hiei unharmed, unharmed, and angry. “So you like using fire.” Hiei said quietly, as his left hand moved to his right arm, tugging at the seal. Slowly the bandage unwrapped to reveal his dragon tattoo. “Lets see how you handle a real flame.” He then started summoning the Dragon of the Darkness Flame.

Both Yusuke and Kurama could feel the familiar feeling of dread as they felt the dragon being summoned by their Jaganshi ally. “Shit!” Yusuke shouted, as he ran towards Sasuke, only to be blocked by Naruto. “Get out of my way!” Yusuke shouted as he pushed Naruto roughly to the side. “Stay out of it unless you really want to see your friend die.” Yusuke then continued unhindered, and stood between Sasuke and Hiei, trusting that the ninja behind him wouldn’t stab him in the back with a kunai. “Hiei, stop this now!” Yusuke shouted. He had a good idea that he could handle the Dragon, having seen Bui do so in the Dark Tournament, but could he really take a pumped-up Hiei? Personally he didn’t want to find out.

Kurama’s eyes widened, surely Hiei wasn’t prepared to use his favoured attack, and on a human no less. He glanced at Kakashi, who seemed almost oblivious to what was happening. “We need to hurry, I only hope that we aren’t too late!” Kurama said as he quickened the pace through the forest. “If Hiei uses the dragon, your student will be devoured for sure!”

With the quickened pace, the pair soon reached the edge of the woods, and to Kurama’s relief, Hiei hadn’t used his dragon after all. Instead he supported a circular burn on his arm, where Yusuke’s Spirit Gun had connected with the apparition’s flesh. “Yusuke, I am glad that you managed to stop Hiei from using his dragon. Who knows what would have happened if he had been allowed to do so.” He looked at Hiei and smiled. “Now, now Hiei, we cannot go around killing people.” Kurama told the seething apparition. “Especially since it would be favourable for us to work with them rather than fight against a village of skilled fighters.” He looked at Kakashi. “This man is the leader of the group that was sent to investigate us. Not only that but we could have a place to stay and learn about out surroundings, and abilities that we wouldn’t normally learn otherwise.”

After some persuasion, Hiei agreed not to try to kill Sasuke, and that allowed the others to set off to find out where Kuwabara was. Eventually, after some tracking, they found him pinned to the stump of a tree with Sakura standing over him. “Good work, Sakura-san.” Kakashi said, releasing Kuwabara from the Shurikens pinning him where he was. “We are taking them back to Konoha. Before we do more, I have something to discus with the Third Hokage.” Sakura sidled over to Sasuke.

“Did you do well in your fight, Sasuke-kun?” She asked him. “I bet you did better than Naruto.” Sasuke pulled away from her. He wondered why she was so clingy to him, and the problem wasn’t only her, but the other girls too. He hated it when they were all over him, especially as he showed no interest in them either. The spectacle made Kurama laugh, as it was so obvious that Sasuke did not welcome Sakura’s advances at all.

“Now, children, lets get back to Konoha.” Kakashi said, trying to lighten the situation. “We need to speak to the Hokage, after all, he is the one that we have to convince if you are to join the Village.” The group nodded as the followed Kakashi back to Konoha. He led them to the Hokage’s office and knocked on the door, when one of the Hokage’s attendants, Kakashi asked if he could speak to the Hokage in person, and when invited in, he brought his group along with the visitors in too.

“Hokage-sama.” He said bowing low, the others following in the same manner. “May I present those that were in the forest when we arrived there. These are four strong individuals, which do not seem to have any Ninja training, and yet have very strong Bloodline Limits. Or at least those three do.” He pointed to Yusuke, Hiei and Kurama. “The fourth I do not know enough about. However I challenged the redhead to a battle and found something that surprised me. His Bloodline capability is to control plant life.” There seemed to be a glimmer in the old man’s eyes. “This is something that we haven’t experienced in the village since the First Hokage, if I am not mistaken. Not to mention that we seem to have another that has abilities akin to the Sharingan-using Uchiha Clan.” Again interest was shown. “Hokage-sama, I humbly request that these youths be adopted into Konoha, and possibly into families that so wish to take them in. I will accept full responsibility for their actions.”

The Hokage took his time to consider what lay before him. He knew that the boys could be spies, yet he also thought that it was possible for them to be genuine. Eventually he raised his head, looking at Kakashi. “Very well, Kakashi-san, you shall have your wish. Also they will be placed under your care once they graduate the academy, even if you have another team with you at the time, you will have to find some way for the two groups to get along.” Kakashi nodded. “You accept that challenge then. Very well, have them join Umino Iruka’s Academy class. Have him run through everything that they missed out on before that. I want to see how quickly they learn.”

“I understand, Hokage-sama.” Kakashi said, having a nagging suspicion that the boys, at least one of them anyway, would be graduating quickly under Iruka’s tutelage. “I shall introduce them to Iruka-san just now, and then see about getting them beds, even for a night.” With that Kakashi led the group from the room and into the street. “Iruka is a very good teacher, even if he is still a Chuunin and not a Jounin as I am. Of course we do need to find beds for you, at least for tonight.”

“Kakashi-sensei, I could take two of them.” Sasuke said looking at Hiei and Yusuke. “Probably Hiei-san and Yusuke-san would be better than Shuichi-san and Kazuma-san.” He looked directly at Hiei. “Hiei could pass for an Uchiha clan member by the colour of his eyes, and as long as his ability to copy matches up to an Uchida child’s then there would be very little to complain about.”

“I want Yusuke with me.” Naruto said, objecting to Sasuke’s proposal. “After all, there is certain techniques that I would like to try and learn if he would show me.” He smiled at Yusuke. ‘I want to defeat Sasuke. He could help me do so.’ Naruto thought as he saw Yusuke nod. ‘Yes, one point to me!’

“I am sure that I could get my mother to take in Shuichi-san.” Sakura said, not wanting to be left out. She hoped that her taking in Kurama would make Sasuke jealous, however it didn’t seem to work. ‘Maybe I could sell you to Ino if you are so great with plants.’ She thought, making ‘Inner Sakura’ laugh and jump. “I shall ask mother if we have room to take you in once you are enrolled as Kakashi-sensei has said.” That just left Kuwabara without a roof over his head.

“I shall ask one of the other families if they will take in Kazuma.” Kakashi said as he led them to the Academy. “Although I am glad that you have all decided to take on one of them each, what was more than what I expected of you. Come along.” Entering the Academy he took them to Iruka’s class. Knocking on the door, he got the quick response that he expected from Iruka.

“Kakashi-san, to what do I owe the pleasure?” Iruka said blushing slightly. It wasn’t often that he saw the slightly older Jounin, but when he did, it always seemed to have the same effect.

“Ahh, Iruka-san, it seems that you shall have four more students in your class starting tomorrow.” Kakashi said as he invited Iruka out into the corridor. “Iruka-san, this is Urameshi Yusuke, Minamino Shuichi, Kuwabara Kazuma and …”

“Uchiha Hiei.” Sasuke said finishing, ignoring the glares he was getting. “He is from one of the more distant branches of the family; however the family’s Bloodline Limit is as strong as the Konoha, or is said to be. The family is born with Sharingan eyes, and don’t have to earn them out of a life-and-death situation. In fact we are both the last of our respective branches.” Sasuke only hoped that he could keep the secret just that, a secret. Iruka seemed to take to the lie, nodding when Sasuke explained the situation.

“I see, very well they can join the class tomorrow.” Iruka said as he took out his class roster, adding their names to the bottom of the roster. “I guess that they do not have experience in using anything but their own Bloodline Limits, so I shall have to bring them up to scratch before taking the class I have any further.” He looked the boys over. “I just hope that they can keep up with the training that they have to go through.”

“I am sure that we can, Iruka-sensei.” Yusuke said as he looked his new teacher up and down, already trying to figure out what pranks to play, and how easy it would be to skip classes. “We are all quick on the uptake, and I am sure that we can pick things up from those that we stay with too.” He looked at Naruto. ‘I am sure that Naruto will know what pranks to play on him, after all he was once a student at one point too.’

Once all the relevant forms were filled out and signed by the new students, they were free to go and dream of what was soon to be, and to find out where their new homes were, and to get to know their new families, little knowing what lay ahead of them in the coming days and weeks.