TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Against All Odds by KidShift

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Emotionless."

The sting of the word was an obvious proof that it wasn't true. The people of his stupid village really had to lighten up; he couldn't even call the fifth Hokage grandmother without causing a damn riot. But seeing as how as soon as the Godaime left him, trusting that Naruto would be able to make it home by himself, he'd gone off for ramen, it was partially his fault.

However, though Naruto really couldn't figure out how it was any of the man's damn business, he'd taken offense to the fact that Naruto called Tsunade his "obaa-chan," which was a term of endearment meaning grandmother. How offensive could it be; the woman was ancient!

The truth of the matter was that besides Team 7 (which was really just him, Sakura, and Kakashi), Iruka, his "ojii-san"- the third Hokage, and, though he would never admit it, Tsunade were his only family. And not even the real kind, where you had someone to go home to at the end of the day, or after a tough mission. Though these were the people closest to Naruto, he accepted the fact that he would never have real family.

However, he still loved them; they were his precious people, to put it simply. And love was definitely an emotion. So the fact that he'd been called emotionless tipped Naruto over the edge, because it was like saying that he didn't care for the people closest to him.

"Hey, buddy, I don't know who the hell you think I am, but-" Naruto started in towards a civilian who'd stopped him in the middle of crowd to tell him that he was a monster with no feelings. And since he was on his way to Ichiraku, he hadn't had any Ramen all day- this guy was in for some trouble.

People gathered around, and bodies were bumping against him and brushing his sides, trying to get a good view of the action.

"YOU MONSTER! YOU KILLED MY WIFE! NOBODY WANTS YOU HERE!"

The words lashed out like whips, leaving painful red marks on Naruto's heart. Though he knew what this man was saying wasn't completely true, he felt the urge to break down bawling in the center of the street.

He figured that the smartest thing to do would be to walk away. If it came to Naruto having to defend himself and someone got hurt, it would just be more damn proof that he was the monster he was accused of being. He just wanted a piping hot bowl of Miso, seeing as it had been really cold lately. Though he enjoyed ramen, probably more than was healthy, it wasn't like his love for ramen was his only emotion.

Nobody understood him, or realized that he had feelings, like a regular person. They just didn't understand that he had feelings deeper than that of a bowl of broth filled with noodles.

Feelings deeper than ramen? It was absurd, but in a way, ramen was all that defined Naruto. But with a heart so hard- with a resentment of his neighbors so strong- he never really expressed his feelings. And there were a lot.

Naruto clopped his sandals on the stone streets like horseshoes, exaggerating every movement to keep himself warm. He was wearing his usual orange jumpsuit, complete with hitai-ite. Naruto moved his hand up to his forehead to adjust it, but it wasn't there. He turned around frantically, scanning the ground all around him to see if he'd dropped it somewhere nearby.

He hadn't. Naruto thought back, and realized that it'd been more than likely been bumped off of him during the commotion with the abrasive civilian. Naruto looked up to the gray, murky sky, and then to the shadows it cast on all of the village. What a horrible day.

Of course he could get a new one, but the one that he had was special. Naruto reminisced, thought his life hadn't been that long, remembering the day Iruka-sensei took his own hitai-ite and tied it to Naruto's head.

Though he felt like crying, and probably was crying on the inside, he smiled at the thought of that day. So much had happened since then; his ojii-san's death during his battle with Orochimaru, Tsunade becoming Hokage, and Sasuke leaving the village for who knew how long.

He trudged on through what was looking to be a nasty storm, but at the time had only been a light mist, seeking rejuvenation at Ichiraku's Ramen. Before he reached the bright stand- a beacon of light on the foggy streets- he heard footsteps behind him.

Naruto whipped around with a sudden urgency, hoping the man from earlier had come back for an ass-kicking.

"Listen, pal, I'll fight you if it means proving that I-"

Naruto was met with milky eyes; pools of lavender that looked like the moon that was ever so absent in the sky.

"Y-you forgot this... back there..." She held up his headband, the light of the ramen stand glistening off of the polished metal.

"HINATAAA! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!" Naruto's words left his mouth so quickly that his lips were a blur as he shouted his thanks over and over. Before he realized what he was doing, he grabbed Hinata, and gave her a bone-crushing hug. However, it only seemed like the tighter he squeezed, the more red Hinata's face became.

By some miracle, Hinata didn't faint.

That being said, she was slightly dizzy, and not to mention lightheaded.

Naruto set her down, and put on his hitai-ite. He flashed his signature goofy grin, and gave her the thumbs up he was so "famous" for.

"So, Hinata. What are you doing out so late?" Naruto put his hands behind his back as they walked to the ramen stand. Naruto didn't know Hinata personally, but they were friends, and he knew her family history well enough to know that being out as late as it was probably wasn't permitted.

"Uhm... it's... c-complicated. M-my father and I... he... uhm..."

Hinata struggled to explain that her father had renounced her as heiress of the Hyuuga clan as they reached Ichiraku's Ramen. Naruto ducked under the cloth that draped down over the entrance to the stand, and sat down on one of the comfortable, familiar stools. Hesitantly, Hinata joined him.

"Spit it out, Hinata. What happened with you and your dad? Why aren't you at home?" Ayame came and took their orders, greeting Naruto fondly.

Hinata took a deep breath, and tried as hard as she possibly could to look Naruto in the eyes.

"My father disowned me, Naruto. I have no home."