TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


The Marriage of Hyuuga Hinata by systemman

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: The characters of Naruto belong to Kishimoto Masashi. This story is written without permission, for fan purposes only. Do not reproduce without permission.

Summary: Uzumaki Hinata recalls how she almost married a man with a different last name


The Betrothal



The sun rose slowly over the eastern side of the mountain, its rays barely cresting the top signaling a new spring day. As the sun rose higher the mountain's shadow pulled back revealing The Village Hidden in the Leaves, Konohagakure no Sato. The village had a large tower which dominated the center and it in turn was surrounded by smaller buildings which radiated outward in a circle. As the circle spread further out the smaller buildings seemed to be surrounded by small homes and then larger homes. These homes, surrounded by land in gated areas, were the clan estates. If one were to look further pass the estates they would see the thirty foot tall wall that encircled the village and then merge with the mountain at each end. This wall had three openings appropriately called The North, The South and The West Gates. Looking even further one would see a giant forest spanning hundreds of square miles with very few roads passing through it and thus giving the village it name.
 
 
As the rays of the rising sun started to creep across the clan estates most people were already up and the direct sunlight only signified that the morning was half over. However on one estate the sunlight filled a room where its occupant was still in bed. Uzumaki Hinata had just heard a romantic song on the radio which made her think about how she almost didn't become a Uzumaki. As she sat up in the bed she shared with Uzumaki Naruto, with a pillow in her lap, she thought about the events that led up to her marriage. It all began one fateful spring day.
 
 
Hinata had awoken that day feeling great. As she lay in her bed, she thought about her last date with Naruto-kun just two days ago. He was to leave on a mission yesterday morning so they had decided to just enjoy each others company the night before. For the last two years they had been seeing each other whenever they had any free time. They were getting closer and closer with each date and Naruto was actually taking the time to learn about her. As far as Hinata was concerned, he had been very attentive to her needs. Well in truth, he had been as attentive as a teenage boy could be but from the stories Hinata had heard from the other kunoichis about their boyfriends, Naruto was at the top of the list.
 
 
Some of their dates had been simple picnics and some were just a movie and a walk around Konoha. There were a few at Hinata's favorite restaurants and numerous more at Ichiraku. Most just ended with a kiss goodnight but some had ended with a hot and heavy make out session lately. Naruto had always been sure he never moved faster than Hinata was ready to allow. His first attempts to caress her tenderly really felt like he was pawing her but over time he learned how she responded. He actually became quite skilled at making her feel good especially when he found the sweet spot behind her right ear.
 
 
And for her part she had almost kept her promise about letting him see her body. One day Naruto had promised to take Hinata swimming and so when she met him outside of Konoha's North Gate with the food, she expected that he would head toward the river that flowed in that direction. However Naruto started to head towards the base of the Hokage Mountain that was outside the walls.
 
When Hinata had inquired as to where they were going, Naruto just grinned and said “It's a surprise.”
 
 
After reaching the base of the mountain Naruto grabbed Hinata's hand and started moving along the cliff side until he reached an opening hidden behind some foliage. Naruto grab a stick that looked like it had been burned before and using a katon jutsu, created a torch to see into the dark opening. The opening led to a tunnel which in turn led to a grotto within the mountain. Naruto use his torch to light a few torches that were along the wall and the glow from the torches seemed to bounce off the walls producing more light than the torches themselves.
 
 
Naruto turned to Hinata saying “I found this while exploring outside the walls when I was little. How do you like it?”
 
 
Hinata replied “It's beautiful, Naruto-kun.”
 
 
As Hinata walked around the grotto she noticed steam rising from the water.
 
 
“Is that water heated, Naruto-kun?” she asked.
 
 
Naruto nodded saying “Yep, it seems to be fed by a hot water spring just like an onsen.”
 
 
Hinata reached down and felt the water's temperature realizing it was indeed hot but not unbearable. Then Naruto stripped down to his swimming trunks and eased himself into the water.
 
When he was settled he said “Come on in, Hinata. It feels great!”
 
 
Hinata, in turn, stripped down to her one piece bathing suit and slipped into the water. “Naruto-kun was right, the water feels great” she thought. She could feel her muscles relaxing from the heat of the liquid. They both had a great time there and returned as often as they could.
 
 
One time in particular, on Naruto's birthday, Hinata decided to give him a treat. They had just reached the grotto and spread out the food. Naruto stripped to his trunks as usual and got into the water. When Hinata started to undress Naruto's eyes could not turn away. She had borrowed a bikini from Ino which Hinata would never buy herself. As far as Naruto was concern it was nothing more than two pieces of strings with patches of materials attached. The bikini's bra was so skimpy if she moved the material on either breast to the right more skin showed on the left. It seemed the material just covered her nipples and a little bit of skin on either side. And when he looked at the bikini bottom he was stunned that only the front was covered. After undressing, Hinata stood there looking nervous as though she was about to be fed to a wild beast.
 
 
Hinata finally found the courage to ask “Do you like it?”
 
 
Naruto just stared.
 
 
Hinata asked again “Naruto-kun, do you like it?”
 
 
Naruto regained his senses and softly said “You're beautiful.”
 
 
Hinata slowly slipped into the water opposite Naruto but the frighten look remained in her eyes. When Naruto moved closer and tried to put his arm around her, Hinata flinched and moved away a few inches. Surprised, Naruto tried again and Hinata didn't move away this time but she did flinch again.
 
 
Naruto slowly moved back to his original position and calmly asked “Hinata, why did you wear that suit?”
 
 
Hinata looked down and said softly “I promised you I would let you see my body and it has been a year and a half since I made that promise.”
 
 
“Hinata, you didn't have to wear that suit if you didn't feel comfortable” Naruto said.
 
 
Still looking down Hinata replied “I know but you have been so good to me by not pressuring me I thought it was the least I could do for you.”
 
 
Naruto said “Hinata, if it means I can touch you, I would rather you wore the old hoodie outfit you wore when you were twelve than this swim suit. Now why don't you go put your clothes back on and then we can cuddle up by the pool and eat our lunch.”
 
 
Hinata looked up at Naruto and asked “Really?”
 
 
Naruto just smiled and answered “Really.”
 
 
Hinata smiled and rose from the water to put on her clothes while Naruto moved out of the water and laid down on the blanket.
 
 
When Hinata had finished dressing she saw Naruto lying there still wearing his trunks so she asked “Aren't you going to get dressed?”
 
 
Naruto replied “What? And deprive you of the chance to admire this gorgeous body?”
 
 
Hinata just giggled and then sat down next to Naruto. She opened the bento boxes she had prepared and then poured a bowl of ramen from the flask she had brought.
 
 
After breaking the disposable chopsticks apart, she started feeding Naruto and said “I love you.”
 
 
Naruto grinned and after swallowing said “I know.”
 
 
It was moments like this that made Hinata realize how lucky she was to have Naruto's love.


Realizing that she had spent too much time daydreaming, Hinata rose from her bed and headed to her bathroom to wash up. After finishing her morning routine she dressed for training and, grabbing her schedule for the day, left her room. While walking to the dojo she met Neji in the corridor heading her way.


She stopped and said “Morning, Neji nii-chan. This is my schedule for today” while handing him the scroll.


Neji took the scroll and said “Hinata-sama, your father would like to see you after your lessons on protocols.”


Hinata replied “Thank-you, Neji nii-chan” and then continued on her way to the dojo.


Normally a summons from her father would fill Hinata with apprehension however she was feeling too good to let anything bring her down. So after completing her Gentle Fist exercises and the lessons on proper political decorum she found herself standing in the anteroom outside her father’s office. She lightly rapped on the door frame and waited for his reply. When she heard the command to ‘enter’ she carefully slid open the door and stepping inside slid it closed behind her.


She walked the few feet to the front of his desk where Hiashi was scanning the daily reports and she said “You wish to see me, Father?”


Hiashi did not respond for fifteen seconds as he perused the documents and then putting them down he looked at Hinata and replied “Yes, since you are approaching your twenty-first year, the Council of Elders and I have decided it is time for you to get married. I have been going over a list of potential candidates and have chosen Kajou Nori as your future husband.”


Hinata was stunned. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing.


She was so shocked she couldn’t respond so Hiashi continued “He comes from a good family and he should make you happy. He will be arriving tomorrow so I expect you to clear your appointments so that you may meet him properly.”


Hinata finally regained her senses and replied “Father, I don’t want to get married now” and added in her head “unless it’s to Naruto-kun.”


“Hinata, the tradition of this clan is that the heirs be married by their twenty-first year to ensure a future heir. If I decide to select you over your sister then it is necessary that you have a husband” Hiashi stated.


“But Father, I don’t want to marry someone I don’t know. How could you do this to me?” Hinata asked.


Hiashi stood up from his desk and though he didn’t raise his voice his tone was hard saying “Hinata, this decision is for the good of the clan and you.” “As clan leader and your father, you will do as I say. Do not make me regret my decision” Hiashi finished.


With that Hiashi turned and walked over to the window behind his desk and while looking outside he said “Now go.”


Hinata was shocked. She was mad. She was frustrated. But mostly she was hurt as she couldn’t believe her father would do that to her. Turning she ran from the room not even bothering to close the door and headed for the dojo. There she stopped to catch her breath and then, more relaxed, she stepped up to the practice dummy and started hitting it. She began with the Gentle Fist taijutsu but as time went on she stopped pushing chakra out of her hands and just continued striking the dummy. She was taking out all of her frustration, anger and hurt on the practice dummy and then in one final blow she forced out all the chakra she could gather into her target. The blow was worthy of Tsunade as the practice dummy shattered into many pieces. Exhausted Hinata sat down and wondered why, why did this have to happen to her? Didn’t her father love her? She knew that somewhere inside he had to love her. Then she made a decision, if the clan leader wanted her to meet this ‘man’ then she would meet him. She would meet him and tell him, in no uncertain terms, that she was not interested. With that decision in mind she got up, went to her room to shower and change and then spent the rest of the day in the Village.


As Hiashi watched the gardens from his office window he thought about the meeting last week which led to his decision. Hiashi was sitting at his desk going over the financial reports of the present month compared to a year ago when he heard someone knocking at his door.


Looking up briefly he said “Enter” and returned his attention to the papers before him.


When the door opened Hyuuga Zinan entered saying “Hiashi-sama” and after sliding the door shut made himself comfortable in an office chair.


At age sixty-five, Zinan wasn’t obese but his present waist line showed that he enjoyed good food and good alcohol. He had a jovial countenance which put people at ease and that ability made him a good negotiator. However Hiashi knew that behind his outward façade Zinan was cold and calculating. Hiashi also knew Zinan felt that the Clan leadership should have gone through his family line. Hiashi’s grandfather had barely won the elections for Clan leadership against Zinan’s father when the previous leader had died without leaving an heir. There were rumors about the unusual circumstances involved with the death but none that could be substantiated.


As Hiashi continued his work, Zinan spoke “I hear the financial reports are out and that we are doing better than last year”.


Hiashi gave a noncommittal answer “The numbers are within projections”.


“Well,” Zinan continued, “as I hear it if all goes well we will have a record year.”


Hiashi looked up and said “Zinan-san, we both know that you didn’t come here to talk about the financial reports. What is it that I can do for you?”


“Hiashi-sama,” Zinan said feigning a slight offense, “we haven’t talked outside of the Council in a while and I just wanted to do some catching up.”


Hiashi looked at Zinan and then returned to his paperwork.


“How is the family? I hear that Hanabi is a Chuunin now and Hinata is a Jounin. You must be very proud?” Zinan continued.


“They have met my expectations” Hiashi replied while continuing his paperwork.


“Yes, Hinata has grown into a fine young woman and as I understand she is into her twentieth year?” Zinan inquired.


Though Hiashi showed no outward sign of acknowledgement, he thought “Now we come to the real reason you are here, Zinan”.


Hiashi continued doing his paperwork while answering “Yes, she is.”


“As I understand it she has been getting proposals since she was sixteen with the numbers increasing every year and she has yet to reply to any” Zinan said.


Hiashi looked up from his paperwork and said “Are you in the habit of reading personal communiqués, Zinan-san?”


Zinan chuckled and then replied “Hiashi-sama, we are all related one way or another and gossip flies around here faster than the Yellow Flash. All I am saying is that there have been a lot of good offers from both within and outside the clan.”


Hiashi said “Like your grandson, Toshi?”


Zinan replied a little more seriously “Why not? I’m not ashamed to say my Toshi would make a great husband for Hinata. He’s a good boy with a strong will and he could help her make the tough decisions she doesn’t have the stomach to make.”


“I see” Hiashi said and then returned his attention to his paperwork.


Zinan didn’t like the way thing were moving so he said “Well, he’s a whole lot better than that rabble she hangs out with in the village, especially that Kyuubi brat. If she were my daughter I would forbade her to ever be around that thing.”


Hiashi continued writing and replied “Until her betrothal, my daughter may associate with anyone she pleases.”


“The word on the street is that those two are always in the company of one another. I, myself, don’t want to see the great Hyuuga Clan contaminated by that creature” Zinan argued.


Hiashi ignored the comment, closed the present file and opened another one.


Seeing this argument getting him nowhere Zinan decided on different tack and said “Well it wouldn’t be so bad if Hinata were placed in the branch family and then we could control the jinchuuriki through her. Of course she would have to be fixed as we can’t have that demon’s spawn tainting the bloodline.”


At that Hiashi placed his ink brush back in its stand and staring directly into Zinan’s eyes said “This conversation is ended.”


Anger rising, Zinan said “You would do well to heed my advice, Hiashi.”


Hiashi’s stare harden as he glared at Zinan. Realizing his social mistake Zinan replied “Hiashi-sama” though both men knew there was no respect behind it.


While rising from the chair Zinan said “There are a lot of proposals before the Council regarding the changes you want to implement. Now, I can be a friend or a foe, Hiashi-sama. It’s your choice.”


As Zinan left the office, Hiashi knew that that threat was the least of his worries. In truth, collectively, the Council of Elders always kept ‘the Good of the Clan’ utmost in their minds. Any proposal carefully wrapped in the blanket of being ‘Good for the Clan’ was usually assured passage; and if the individual behind the proposal were to gain personally from the proposal this was acceptable if the Clan received the overall benefit. What worried Hiashi was that after Hinata entered her twenty-first year the choice of husband moved to the Council with little input from him as to whom they would choose. He might very well end up being related to Zinan anyway. Hiashi decided he needed to go through the proposals and find a candidate that would help him achieve his goals.


The carriage that pulled up to the Hyuuga estates’ main gate the next day was somewhat ornate. Its physical appearance was that of an eight foot long by eight foot wide by eight foot tall cottage on two wheels. The right, left and back sides sported small windows with purple bamboo curtains covering them. The front side was missing but was also covered by a large bamboo curtain of the same color. The roof had railings along the edges to prevent any luggage that was situated on top from falling off. Suspended from the bottom of the railing were small four inch long dragons in a pattern of head to head and tail to tail. Each outside wall was colored a pale blue, with a painting of a purple dragon with red highlights running along the edge such that it looked at if it would eat its own tail. The two wheels had a diameter of six feet giving the whole carriage a height of eleven feet from ground to roof. Instead of being pulled by oxen as was customary, this carriage was attached to two black horses. On the back of the carriage were two burly guards, who looked like weight lifters, standing on small platforms just high enough to see over the luggage that was on the roof. The driver was of standard build but his arms showed evidence that driving the carriage was his regular duty.


One of the Hyuuga guards approached the driver and asked “What is your business at the Hyuuga estates?”


The driver handed some papers to the guard and replied “Kajou Nori to see Hyuuga Hiashi.”


The guard looked over the papers and then lifted the front curtain to see inside the carriage. After replacing the curtains he looked at the men on the back of the carriage and then handed the papers back to the driver and said “You are expected. Please follow the path to the front entrance where you will be greeted.”


The driver nodded and then once the gate was opened he followed his instructions.


When the carriage reached the front of the Main House, a Hyuuga servant came out, bowed and said “Kajou Nori-san, I am here to escort you to Hyuuga Hiashi-sama.”


The front bamboo curtain rose and out stepped a tall slender man with shoulder length black hair that looked wet without actually being wet. There was a part on the left side and the hair was combed such that the right side fell just above the right eye. His face had enough of a feminine touch such that if he were a kabuki actor he could easily play the female roles. He wore a dark navy blue kimono with gold designs which seemed to mimic waves on a sea that wrapped around to the back of the kimono where a golden dragon was pictured flying above the sea.


When he was firmly on the ground he said in a lilting voice “Jubei, bring the items I brought.”


The driver tied the horses’ reins to the carriage and grabbed a bundle from the top of the carriage. Once the driver was next to him, Nori said “I am ready” and then followed the servant into the manor.


The servant led Nori to the anteroom outside of Hiashi’s office and then said “Please be seated, Kajou-san. Hyuuga Hiashi-sama will see you momentarily. May I get you something while you are waiting?”


Nori replied “No, thank you” and then sat down while his man-servant stood.


The servant gave a polite bow and then left.


A few moments later the door opened and in walked Hiashi with his arms folded inside his kimono sleeves saying “Kajou Nori, exactly on time. It is good to finally meet you.”


Nori stood and bowed saying “Hyuuga Hiashi-sama, the pleasure is all mine. I am grateful that you are allowing me to court your daughter.”


Hiashi replied “Though I am pleased, you still have to convince the Council of Elders. May I see your ancestry papers?”


Nori reached behind his back to his servant and Jubei immediately placed a scroll in Nori’s palm.


Nori gave the scroll to Hiashi while asking “Will I be able to see Hinata-chan now?”


Hiashi scanned the document for a minute and then rerolled it and handed it back to Nori saying “Not until the Council has approved of your offer. It will be another ten minutes before the Council is seated and at that time a servant will escort you to the chamber. I must leave you now, so good luck.”


Again Nori bowed and said “Thank you, Hyuuga-sama”.


When Hiashi had left Nori just sat back down and quietly waited.


Ten minutes later a servant entered the room and said “Will you please follow me, Kajou-san?”


Nori rose and followed the servant down a long corridor with Jubei close behind him. The trip ended at a set of double doors guarded by two men. One of the guards opened the door and the servant motioned for Nori to enter. After Nori and Jubei had entered the room the guard closed the door and returned to his position while the servant left to continue his duties.


Kajou Nori stood in a large room facing a long banister in the shape of a semi-circle curved towards him. The banister was high enough such that anyone sitting behind it would have the advantage of looking down on anyone in front of it. Behind the banister sat the twelve members of the Council of Elders in a line along the banister.


Nori looked from one end to the other and then, centering his attention on the middle seats, said ”Elders of the Hyuuga Clan, I, Kajou Nori of the Wave Country, stand before you to request the honor of courting your Hyuuga Hinata. I have brought evidence of my ancestry and an accounting of my family’s holding.”


While Nori was saying this Jubei presented a scroll to each member and Nori continued “As you can see my grandfather came from humble beginnings but he was a shrewd businessman. He was able to take the money he made as an author and parlay it into the estate you see there. Unfortunately he and my father died protecting our home and so I am the sole inheritor.”


The assets described on the scroll were indeed impressive. All totaled they equaled to about one third of the Hyuuga estate however there was one item that stood out. It seemed that Kajou Nori was in possession of land residing in the timberlands of the Wave Country. With the exception of a few geniuses the carpenters of the Wave Country were on par with everyone else; however the wood they used was the finest of the Five Great Elemental Countries. Because of the climate and moisture of the Wave Country, the trees grown there were excellent for ship building and bridge construction. When built to the same standards, bridges and ships constructed from Wave Country timber lasted twice as long as any other bridge or ship. This quality allowed carpenters from the Wave Country to charge premium prices for their wares. The Hyuuga Clan has been trying to obtain property rights for these timbers for a long time however eighty-five percent of the land was owned by a few families and the other fifteen percent was owned by the local government.


This fact was not lost on any of the members of the Council of Elders especially Hyuuga Zinan. Zinan knew that if they allowed Kajou Nori to marry Hinata then Kajou’s property would become Hyuuga property as Kajou Nori would be marrying into the Hyuuga Clan. Now this marriage would obviously interfere with his plan to marry his grandson to Hinata but for a chance to own land rights in the Wave Country forest he was willing to alter his plans. Since Hiashi hadn’t chosen which daughter was going to be clan leader, he could petition the Council that Hinata be placed into the branch family after her marriage to Kajou Nori. Then he could work on trying to marry Hanabi to his grandson. Since most of the members of the Council were aware of his intentions to marry Toshi to Hinata, this ‘ultimate sacrifice for the Good of the Clan’ would give him more leverage at a later date.


While the Council members went over the scrolls Nori had provided, Nori continued “The Hyuuga Clan is renowned for its business acumen and to be allowed an opportunity to even be considered as a member is an honor in itself.”


Then Nori signaled his man-servant and Jubei presented a small box to each Council member.


“Now may I present to the Council a small gift of appreciation for this opportunity? This little token is yours no matter what decision you arrive at concerning my petition of betrothal” he added.


Inside each box was a simple ring with an opal gem on top and the Hyuuga Clan symbol on both sides.


Nori concluded with “I am really looking forward to joining such an illustrious clan.”


Seizing the opportunity Zinan stood and said “This young man’s accounting of his lineage is indeed impressive and his declarations seem sincere so I move that we allow Kajou Nori the opportunity to court our Hyuuga Hinata.”


There was a low murmur among the remaining Elders and then one by one each held up his right hand signaling their agreement.


Then Zinan addressed Nori saying “The Council has accepted your petition of betrothal and look forward to your upcoming marriage to Hyuuga Hinata.”


Nori smiled, gave a deep bow while saying ”Thank you, esteemed gentlemen” and then he and Jubei were escorted out of the chambers.


The branch family servant came to Hinata’s room and softly rapped on the door.


When Hinata answered, the servant quietly said “Hinata-sama, there is a gentleman waiting for you in your father’s office anteroom.”


Hinata replied “Thank you, Aiko” then left her room and headed for the anteroom.


When Hinata reached the door to the anteroom she took a deep breath to calm her anger and then entered. Hinata was taken aback when she first saw her ‘betrothed’.


She thought “You have got to be kidding? He looks like a woman dressed as a man.”


She regained her resolve and sat down in a chair opposite where Nori sat with a small table between them.


Nori smiled when Hinata had entered the room and when she sat down he said “Hinata-chan, it is so good to finally meet you. Your father has told me so much about you that I feel as if I already know you.”


Hinata thought “Hinata-chan? He doesn’t even know me and he’s calling me ‘Hinata-chan’.”


Maintaining her calm Hinata politely replied “Kajou-san”.


Nori said “Please Hinata-chan call me ‘Nori-kun’ or at least ‘Nori’ since we will be getting married.”


Hinata stood up and politely said “Kajou-san, I am sorry my father has enticed you to come here with a promise of marriage however I have no intentions of getting married at this time.”


Nori replied “At this time? So you are thinking of marriage. Maybe, if you got to know me, you might change your mind.”


“I’m sorry, Kajou-san, but this conversation is over” Hinata replied.


As Hinata moved for the door, Nori said “I’m really not that bad of a person if you would just give me a chance. I’ll tell you what just give me four weeks. If I can’t convince you that I am worthy of consideration then I will break the contract myself and take all the blame.”


Hinata listened while Nori pled his case and then replied “No, thank you.”


Nori decided he would give it one more try so he said “Look, if you don’t at least give me a chance, your father will just find someone else to marry you. With me, you already know what you got. If you reject me your father may find someone better but I doubt it so that means the next one will be worse. This way your father won’t be bothering you for at least four weeks.”


Hinata paused, thinking “He has a point. I can handle him and I don’t need anymore stress in my life right now.”


Hinata turned to Nori and said “On one condition. You only get my daytime. My nights are my own.”


Nori replied “Deal, Hinata-chan”.


Then Hinata added “Also, don’t ever call me ‘Hinata-chan’ again.”


Nori replied “Deal, Hinata-ch… Hinata”.


“Now for my condition” Nori added.


Hinata stared at him suspiciously as he said “We start today, beginning with a tour of your lovely village.”


Hinata thought about it for a while and replied “Okay, just let me inform my father and bodyguard.”


After leaving the room and finding Aiko, Hinata told her to tell Neji and her father that she would be escorting Kajou Nori around Konoha today.


When she returned to the room she said “Everything is set. We may leave now, Kajou-san.”


Nori rose from his seat and pleaded “Please Hinata, ‘Nori’.”


Hinata looked at him a while and then said “Nori-san.”


Nori gathered his things and when he was ready Hinata led him through the mansion to the front door. Outside Nori stepped up to his carriage and opened the curtain for Hinata saying “May I help you into the carriage?”


With suspicion still on her face Hinata asked “Why are we going in your carriage?”


“Hinata, please, I came straight to your home as soon as I arrived in Konoha. I haven’t had a chance to check into my hotel yet. I only wanted to ride to the hotel and then we can start the tour from there” Nori replied.


Hinata looked at the carriage figuring out her exit points, glanced at the guards and deciding she could defeat them replied “Fine”.


Hinata entered the carriage without Nori’s help and sat on the right side seat which allowed easy access to the front curtain. Nori entered next, sitting on the left side, opposite Hinata and then tapped on the roof and yelled “Jubei, we’re ready.”


The carriage moved slowly out of the Hyuuga estates and headed for Konoha’s finest, the Ho-oo (Phoenix) Hotel. Hinata could feel Neji’s chakra as he followed from a distance. Once the carriage reached the hotel, Nori checked in and had his luggage sent up to his room. Then he and Hinata headed out to tour the village with one of his bodyguards following thirty yards behind. Hinata looked back at the bodyguard and then at Nori.


Nori replied “You have your protectors, I have mine.”


Hinata accepted that answer then turned her head forward and started pointing out the different areas while they headed towards the business district. As they walked around Nori noticed a flower shop and said “I would like to visit that store” while indicating the Yamanaka Flower Shop.


When they entered the shop a small bell rang out and a voice followed with the greeting “Welcome to the Yamanaka Flower Shop. May I help you?”


The owner of the voice was Yamanaka Ino who was standing behind the counter. She didn’t recognize the man but when she saw Hinata Ino called out “Hey, Hinata. What brings you here?”


Hinata walked up to the counter and replied “Hello Ino. This is Kajou Nori. He is a businessman from the Wave Country who is visiting Konoha. I am escorting him around the village.”


Nori smiled, giving a polite bow, and said “Yamanaka-san, you have a lovely shop here. Do you own it?”


Ino gave a wide smile and replied “It’s a family owned shop.”


Looking around Nori said “Lovely, do you mind if I look around?”


Ino replied “No, please do. And if I can help you with anything, please, let me know.”


As Nori moved through the shop checking out all the different displays Ino leaned forward on the counter using her elbows as support and whispered “Not bad, Hinata. He’s a pretty good looker.”


Hinata looked aghast at Ino and said “Ino!”


Ino looked back incredulously and said “What?! He has a pretty face. What wrong with admitting it?”


Hinata replied “What about you and Chouji?”


Ino answered “Chouji and I are good. I am perfectly happy with the ‘butterfly’ I have in my garden but that doesn’t mean I am going to ignore all the other ‘butterflies’ flittering around me. Not all of us have tunnel vision like you.”


Hinata thought about what Ino said and was going to respond when Nori returned and said “All the flowers here are lovely especially the edelweiss. They stand for courage and power, don’t they?”


Ino brighten and replied “Yes they do. I see you know your flowers.”


Nori answered “Well, I do a little gardening every once and a while. Do you deliver outside the village?”


Ino replied “Yes, we do. However the further the delivery the more it cost because of special handling. You see, we guarantee all our flowers to be fresh?”


“Can you deliver to the Wave Country” he asked.


Ino replied “Yes, that’s possible.”


“Well, when I finish my business in Konoha I may have an order for you.” Nori said.


Turning to Hinata, Nori said “I am ready to leave now.”


Hinata nodded and said “Goodbye Ino. Maybe I will drop by later.”


Ino waved as Hinata and Nori left the shop saying “Come back, again.”


As Hinata and Nori moved back among the village crowd Nori’s bodyguard started following them as well as Neji. While walking among the many food vendors Hinata caught sight of Aburame Shino.


Hinata brighten and called out “Shino-kun!”


Shino turned around and noticing Hinata replied “Hinata, it is good to see you again.”


Hinata said “I know. I am sorry but I have been busy the last two weeks.”


Hinata noticed Shino’s attention on Nori and said “Oh, excuse me. Shino, this is Kajou Nori, a businessman visiting Konoha. Kajou Nori, this is Aburame Shino, one of my teammates.”


Nori and Shino exchanged polite bows and then Shino stiffened slightly as his Kikaich? bugs started getting agitated. His bugs were informing him that they felt a strong source of chakra around but didn’t feel threaten by it.


Shino asked “Kajou-san, by any chance, are you a shin obi?”


Nori looked surprised and answered “My father and my grandfather were shin obi who died defending our home; how did you know?”


“My bugs informed me of your chakra level” Shino replied.


“Your bugs?” Nori asked.


Hinata answered “Shino-kun is a member of the Aburame Clan and they use bugs in many of their family jutsu techniques.”


Nori said “Oh, if you don’t mind, may I see them?” and started searching the ground.


Shino just raised his left arm with his palm up and then a small trail of insects exited his sleeve and pooled in his hand. When Nori finally noticed Shino’s hand he said “Oh… I see”.


Then Nori asked “Are you the same Aburame Clan that handles the crop pollinations for growers?”


Shino replied “Yes, there are some sects of our clan that handles pollination, honey production, and pest removal.”


“I thought so” Nori said “Your clan is known even in the Wave Country.”


“Thank you, Kajou-san.” Shino said and then turning to Hinata continued “I am sorry but I must be going. Let’s get together with Kiba and have dinner this week.”


Hinata smiled and said “Yes, I would love that.”


Then Shino gave a polite bow to Nori and walked away.


Nori said “I like him. His bugs are a little creepy but I really like him.”


Hinata’s smiled slowly faded as Shino disappeared and then, without looking at Nori, said “Let’s go.”


As Hinata continued the tour of Konoha she heard a familiar voice call her name, a voice that belonged to someone she thought was out of the village for a few more days. As she turned around she saw the one person that matters the most to her coming towards her and Nori.


As Naruto stopped in front of her, Hinata exclaimed “Naruto-kun, I thought you were out on a mission. What happened?”


Naruto chuckled while placing his right hand behind his head and said “Well, it ended early. It seems the missing Nin me and my team were sent to capture was dumb enough to pick on someone else who was stronger than him and ended up getting killed. Tsunade baa-chan had to refund the client’s money so we didn’t get paid but that doesn’t mean I can’t treat you lunch, if you’re free?”


Hinata noticed Naruto glancing from her to Nori and back with a questioning look in his eyes. Hinata regained her composure from her initial shock and replied “Oh, I’m sorry. Naruto-kun, this is Kajou Nori. I am escorting him around the village. Kajou Nori, this is Uzumaki Naruto my…..”


But before Hinata could finish the introduction Nori stepped up and said “Hi, it’s good to meet a close friend of my fiancé.”


It was at this point that all time stopped for Hinata as she told herself she did not just hear Nori make that statement. However the look on Naruto’s face told her that Nori did indeed say what she thought he said.


As Nori looked back and forth between Naruto and Hinata he said “Oh, I am sorry. I thought you were a close friend because she called you ‘Naruto-kun’.”


The deafening silence was replaced by a growing killing intent coming from Naruto as he slowly turned to Hinata and yelled “WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT?”


Hinata grabbed Naruto by his right arm and pulled him away from Nori then placing her hand on his chest quietly said “Naruto-kun, please calm down.”


Without taking his eyes off Nori, Naruto repeated through clenched teeth “What the hell is he talking about?”


Hinata looked up at Naruto with pleading eyes and said “I can’t explain now but I will tonight, at dinner. If you love me, please, just trust me.”


At that statement Naruto turned his eyes toward Hinata’s face and seeing the hope in her eyes, slowly calmed down and said “Ok, I’ll wait until dinner.”


Naruto continued “I meet you at Ichiraku at seven” and then, after glaring once more at Nori, walked away.


Hinata was livid! When she turned from the direction Naruto had taken she steeled her eyes and walked towards Nori seething. Because of Hinata’s upbringing in the Hyuuga clan she would never utter any profanities out loud but in her mind she had free reign and so she yelled every single curse word she had ever had the displeasure of hearing Mitarashi Anko say.


“What was that all about?” she asked Nori as she approached him.


Nori just gave a shy smile and said, “Well, you didn’t mention it to anyone we met before so I just thought I would be upfront about it.”


Hinata looked Nori straight in the eyes and said “Look, I agreed to give you a chance but when I introduce you to anyone in Konoha I will do it my way or the deal is off. Do you understand?!”


Nori just gave a sheepish smile and said “I understand.”


With that answer Hinata released the tension in her body then closing her eyes and gripping the bridge of her nose said “Today’s tour is over. I have a headache and now I just want to go home and lay down.”


Nori was understanding, surprisingly, and said “That’s ok since I have some correspondences I need to catch up on. Shall I come by in the morning, maybe around ten?”


Hinata, lost in thought and worry, just muttered “That’s fine” and walked off leaving Nori where he stood.


Hinata was really worried about what she would tell Naruto. Obviously she was going to tell him the truth but all her experience living as a Hyuuga had taught Hinata that even the truth, if not properly worded, won’t get the results one expects.


When Hinata arrived at Ichiraku that evening she saw Naruto outside pacing back and forth. She knew that if she wanted a favorable outcome to her explanation she needed Naruto to be inside the restaurant. Hyuuga training had taught her that if you want a favorable outcome to a negotiation then meet your opponent in a setting that they feel relaxed and comfortable around.


When Hinata reached Naruto he said “Okay Hinata, what was he talking about?”


“Good, he has calmed down some” she thought and then she said “Naruto-kun, lets go inside, sit down and I will explain everything.”


Naruto thought for a second and then said “Okay.”


When inside Hinata made sure they took a booth instead of sitting at the counter and waited until their order was taken before starting.


“Now Naruto-kun, the Council of Elders and my father believe it is time for me to get married” she said.


Naruto shouted “What?!!”


Hinata immediately pleaded “Shh, keep your voice down, please Naruto-kun?”


Naruto saw the anxious look in her eyes and decided to quiet down so he whispered loudly “So what does that have to do with him?”


Hinata swallowed and answered “He is the man my father decided on.”


“Well, you told them to go to hell, didn’t you?” Naruto asked.


“Of course I told Nori-san, though I didn’t use those words, but he brought up a good point. If I just outright reject him, Father will just find another suitor for me” Hinata replied.


Naruto asked “So, what wrong with that?”


“Naruto-kun, we need to find a way to stop them once and for all. If they think I am allowing Nori-san to court me for the next four weeks then they will back off and give us time to formulate a plan” Hinata explained.


Naruto said incredulously “Four weeks?” and then crossed his arms saying “Well, I don’t like it.”


Hinata moved closer to Naruto and said “I am treating this as if it were a mission from Tsunade-sama to escort a dignitary around Konoha. It is only during the daytime. At night whenever you are free we can get together and cuddle up.”


Naruto kept his arms crossed and said “I still don’t like it.”


Then he quickly added “The Nori part, I like the cuddling part.”


At this point Hinata unleashed her secret weapon, the puppy dog eyes, and said “Please Naruto-kun?”


That did it. Naruto knew he was whipped and so he said “Oh, all right but I expect some serious comforting for the next four weeks.”


Hinata smiled and said “Deal”, kissed Naruto and then they both settled down to eat.


The next two weeks went just as Hinata had said. Nori would arrive at the estates exactly at ten in the morning and Hinata would spend the whole day showing him around the village. She took him to the shopping district, she took him to the business district and she took him to the cultural center. All the while she kept her personal life out of the conversations. While they were eating it became a little harder to do because she couldn’t change the subject as easily. Nori would asked about the things she liked to do or the places she liked to go and Hinata would either give a non-committal answer or try to change the subject. Nori tried his best to make her laugh. He would tell her jokes, he tried making up riddles and he even tried singing to her. One time he attempted to show off by balancing on the railing of a small bridge but toppled over into the small stream below. However Hinata never showed any signs of being impressed.


When evening came they would come back to the estates where she would bid Nori goodbye and then sneak out to join Naruto if he was free that night. Most of the time they just stayed in his apartment keeping a low profile but once they were able to meet at the grotto. A couple of nights Hiashi invited Nori to stay for dinner so that the rest of the Main branch could meet him. Luckily Naruto was on assignment those nights and Hinata was able to avoid any trouble. At the end of the second week Nori dropped a bombshell.


Just as they arrived at the estate front door Nori said “Hinata, I have to leave in a couple of days to go to Suna for the next two weeks and your father has already given his permission for you to attend.”


Hinata was stunned.


She looked at him and said “My father gave his permission? What about me?! Nobody asked me if I wanted to go?!”


Nori chuckled and said “I already assumed you would go. You promised you would give me four weeks and so if I have to go to Suna on business naturally you would come. Besides, you don’t seem comfortable walking around Konoha with me. I know that I can get to know you better if you were away from this village and your friends.”


Hinata stood silent for a while and then said “Fine. I’ll go to Suna.”


Nori replied “Good. We will be leaving at dawn in two days. Good night, Hinata.”


Hinata entered the mansion and closed the door behind her. As she walked to her room all she could think about was how she was going to explain this to Naruto-kun. Hinata entered her room, change her clothes, waited about an hour for the household to settle down for the night then sneaked off the estates and headed for Naruto’s apartment. When she got there she rapped lightly on the door and waited for him to answer. When Naruto opened the door, he saw that it was Hinata, let her inside and then embraced and kissed her.


After pulling back he said “Hinata, you got here just in time. There‘s an action movie playing at the theater tonight and I was thinking we could sneak out to see it. The last time was your choice and that chick flick wasn’t too bad but this movie got explosions and chases and….”


Naruto was silenced when Hinata put her hand to his mouth.


Then she said “I have to go to Suna for two weeks in two days.”


Naruto looked at her in confusion and asked “Why?”


Hinata sighed and said “Nori is going to Suna on business.”


Naruto retorted “So let the bastard go. What does that have to do with you?”


“I have to go with him because I promised to give him four weeks” she replied.


“So, he gets to spend two weeks alone with you in Suna while I sit here all alone. Is that it?” he said in anger.


Hinata looked at him and said “Naruto-kun, please. I gave my word and if anyone understands what it means to give one’s word it should be you.”


Naruto gave an exasperated sigh and said “I know, but I’ll be missing you for two whole weeks.”


Hinata replied “I know…I know.”


Then Naruto added “But Hinata, the Jounin vote for Hokage is next week and I wanted you with me when I win.”


Again all Hinata could say was “I know…I know”, her voice soft and full of pain.


Naruto could see in Hinata’s eyes that she was on the verge of tears so he relented and said “Its okay, Hinata, I understand. But you owe me big, so tomorrow night we are having dinner outside in the forest by the stream, okay?”


Hinata smiled while looking at him and just nodded her head in agreement.


Then Naruto added “And I want enough lovin’ to last me two weeks, got it?”


Hinata beamed brightly and answered “I’ll give you enough to last a month.”


Naruto kissed her nose and said “Good. Now let’s go see that movie. I heard it was really loud…..”


Hinata just let Naruto drone on about the movie happy that they were still together.