TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Sleeping Rose by SerpentatSunset

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was already night. Above her, the trees lashed around over her head. Misaki's hair blew around in the wind as she looked over the edge of the cliff.

If she slipped and fell, or was pushed, she would do so on ragged rocks that waited for anyone at the bottom.

Eventually, she realized that she wasn't alone. Behind her, she noticed that Kabuto was picking flowers. It was so unlike Kabuto.

"They're gorgeous," she stated.

Unable to help herself, she bent down and sniffed one.

"But, Kabuto, why are they all white?"

"They're funerary flowers," he explained without batting an eyelash.

"For who? Who died?"

Kabuto turned to stare her dead in the eyes.

"You."

Misaki awoke long before dawn. She was ready and sitting on the edge of her bed.

The adrenaline was already pumping in her veins and the day hadn't even started yet. In fact, it had had just began. She had no idea what to expect.

All of a sudden, Misaki heard a knock at the door. The digital clock read 7:28. He was early. Of course, that was not surprising.

With dread uncurling inside her, she unlocked the door. Her visitor was masked. He wore gray fatigues and a weapon was holstered on his back. Warily, she stepped back.

"Morino Misaki, ma'am?"

"That's me. Where are we going?" Once again, curiosity had overcome her fear.

"You'll find out."

His expression was unreadable beneath the mask as they walked to a faraway training room. Ibiki was already waiting. As silently as he arrived, he was gone.

Misaki seized a lock of her hair and began to twirl it she was nervous. Though they were related by blood, could their feelings ever be interrelated. Could they even begin to understand each other?

It would take time, she decided.

"Who was that person?"

"A member of ANBU."

"ANBU? What's that?"

"Our Special Assassination and Tactical Squad. I'm head of the T & I department."

Didn't he have an actual name? But Misaki thought it best not to push it. In any case, she had never heard of them.

"What do you do there?"

Ibiki smiled thinly. "I torture and interrogate people."

Misaki's mouth dropped open. "Do you like doing that?"

"There are criminal threats to the village. Do you understand?" Ibiki was growing irritated.

"Of course," she lied.

She tried to. Then again, she was sure that her judgment was distorted from living with them.

A sense of foreboding bit at her anyway. Could she be considered a threat the village? How would Ibiki react?

"My turn to ask questions. What kind of chakra do you have?"

"I have an earth nature."

Misaki was sure that the information was true. Kabuto had tested her twice.

"It figures. So, why don't you show me what you got?"

She was surprised. "You want me to fight you?"

Misaki eyed his tall stocky frame. This battle would be over fast. She was barely one hundred sixteen pounds and he was at least two hundred. Misaki would barely last a minute.

"All right start."

Misaki wondered if he was going to easy on her.

She wasn't surprised when he blocked every one of her hits if her strikes even made an impact. All he had to do was get serious and it was over. His eyes never left hers.

Out of desperation, she used the first jutsu she had ever been taught for a diversion.

"Earth Style: Hidden Lily!"

After the purple petals enveloped her, Ibiki just...stopped. Confused, Misaki broke the jutsu.

Had she won?

"What was that?" Ibiki asked.

Misaki was confused. "My jutsu."

She had just perfected it, and it was useless. Misaki wasn't quite sure about the mechanics of how fights worked. She had been helpless when Kabuto turned on her.

"That disappearing into a flower trick worthless. It 's more a detriment than a help, except maybe for camouflage. Moves need to be useful on the battlefield and not just for show."

Misaki cringed at the harsh assessment. She was giving it all she had.

Was she really that weak? Had Kabuto even prepared her adequately.

"Can I make a suggestion? it's a justu that I picked up."

"Okay."

Misaki saw no harm in that.

After Ibiki walked her through on the hand signs, Misaki tried it for herself.

"Earth Style: Punishing Pink Petals!"

The hot pink petals flew upwards and transformed into senbon that crashed to the earth on impact. Though they were wickedly sharp, Misaki was overjoyed that she was capable of doing it.

In the future, Misaki knew that she would be expected to hurt people. Maybe she could be like Sakura and heal people, but that was a luxury that she couldn't afford right now. She never had the nerve to ask Kabuto.

"Might I suggest Genjutsu at some point in the future? You could be a good fit for it."

Genjustu, the illusion techniques. Misaki herself had no interest in them. She pondered what her true role would be as a ninja.

As the minutes progressed, Ibiki seemed to enjoy teaching her and perfecting her techniques. He had regard for her as a student, but not a family member.

Misaki warned herself not to expect miracles. Yet, all in all, the morning had gone well.

"That's all for now. Now, I have an appointment."

Maybe it was her imagination, but she could have sworn she saw a glimpse of anticipation in his demeanor. Misaki hoped that it wasn't what she thought what that meant. If so, someone was going to have an awful day.

Was Ibiki as as cruel as the pale man?

Yet, As Ibiki left, it struck her to say something.

"Thank you, ojisan."

Misaki was rewarded by the odd expression that moved over his face.

If only he knew that he was only making her more powerful for Orochimaru.

Suddenly, she was struck by guilt. It prodded at her by the hour.

Misaki wondered how long this would last. The uncertainty hung over her as thick as a cloud.

"We're not seriously taking on Ibiki, are we?"

Orochimaru's eyes flicked to him. "No, Kabuto-kun, we must be more subtle than that. Don't you know me by now? We'll have the entire ANBU force after us."

Ibiki was a lumbering bear after a snake. All Orochimaru had to do was remain out of sight hidden in the brush. How Ibiki would love to get his hands on him. As for Orochimaru himself, he didn't think of the man much. But, he bet that Ibiki's niece thought of him often.

"So, when do I have to go back?"

"When her petals open a bit wider. Misaki should gain the others' trust a bit more, don't you think?"

It amused Orochimaru to see when Kabuto tried to follow his train of thought. He was sure that Kabutro understood the delay.

The equation was simple enough. More trust, more information.