TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Dying Friendship by doodlelover

[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Long calloused fingers traced the outline of a finely painted mask. Orange swirls covered the place were the cheeks would be under it. It was his own special mask, made just for him. The demon of the village. The monster. The most powerful ninja next to the Hokage, the fire shadow. The reason it was so different was because it was not a wolf or a phoenix that it was modeled after, no. It was the same thing that had made him a monster in the first place. A fox. Red, white, and black mixed perfectly on the thing that he had sworn to abide by no matter what. No matter what the circumstances he had to live up to that mask and do what he had sworn to do as long as he wore it. He was a hunter. A killer. An assassin whose only purpose was to hunt down fellow shinobi and take their lives.




For that was the ANBU way of life.




To kill in cold blood. To kill whoever your leader told you to. Even if it was a child. An elderly. Or your best friend. You are a hunter and that was what you were told to do. So you did it. No questions asked.




Most of the ANBU had thrown away and crushed their hearts and emotions as soon as they had to kill their first child. But some choose to keep them. And slowly those were the ones who rotted. A shinobi was a tool and to be a tool you had to throw away the things that meant most to you, otherwise you would fail and lose what you hold dear forever. It was just better that way. Things would get done without any complications and in return you wouldn't have to deal with losing something.




But for others it was too late. The ones that had selfishly choose to keep their emotions would have to kill the ones that meant most and see them die in front of them. To see the last glimmer of their life fade away, like it was never there to begin with. That was why you threw away your emotions. For if you didn't you will become the most feared weapon. And for some it was a good thing. Because that meant that you could fulfill any task without second thought. Sell your soul and become a killing machine. That was one way it could go, the other was a fate much worse. For some it was too much to bear to lose everything that had meant everything to you once. For some it was simply too much to bear. So they choose not to bear it, and end it before it got to hard to suppress. That was the end for those who were weak.




But seeing as he was a demon, he was different. He could go on and keep his emotions even if he had to see his own special people die in front of him. Even if he was the one that was to kill them. He would not break. He would not succumb to the raging emotions and the will to die. He would not become a tool to be used as this village wishes. No matter what was thrown at him he would still be himself and strive to protect the ones that were still left for him. No matter what he would not become the monster that this village portrayed him to be. He would prove them wrong. He was just to stubborn to give in and give up his own dream.




But he had given up his dream before. So why not lose it again?




The reason for that is because that dream was not totally gone yet. No. Just the reason for that dream was gone. And even that he would gain back someday. He had made a promise that he couldn't take back and would fulfill that promise someday. Even if he had to give his life for that promise. That was his way of the ninja after all.




So why was he the one thing that he promised he would never become? The village had always predicted that he would become a cold blooded murderer, and here he was, something that he had sworn not to become. He was a killer. And a good one at that. There were not many that could confront him and live. At least not anymore. There was a time when he was the failure that people thought he was. He was obnoxious, loud, and annoying. Lets not even begin to mention the love of ramen he had. He practically worshiped the stuff. Although he still did, it was slightly less now. And he was still loud and obnoxious when not doing his job, but there was just something that was slightly fake about it. Like it was an unwanted chore. But he refused to give up the fire that was him. Because that would be like becoming a full fledged shinobi. And he just wouldn't do that. As long as he wasn't completely a tool to be used, he would not be going back on that one promise that he had made. No, two promises. The promises he had made to his teammates. The promise that he made to the person he was going to kill.




He dreaded the day he would have to be doing this, but it had come all too soon. This was the reason he had made the promise never to become an ANBU. Because the person he had made it to said he would become that killer and have to take his life one day. And that day had come. As much as he told himself it would never come and never happen, it had and all he could do was go through with the mission as always. Emotionless and perfect. For this was the day one of his former dreams would come true. Even though it was in a completely different way than he would have ever thought possible. This was the day he would overcome his rival. The day he would kill his best friend.




Sasuke.




Uchiha Sasuke. Brother to mass murderer Uchiha Itachi. One of the last Uchiha, and a murderer himself as of two days ago.




Yesterday he had been brought into the Hokage's office to receive another mission. After he did said mission he would strive to reach another of his dreams. But only if he pulled off this mission with perfection, and only then would he become what he had always wanted to be.




To be Hokage was his dream.




He couldn't even remember anymore when he had said that was what he would be. The only thing he could remember was that every time he looked at the Hokages robes or at the faces of the other past Hokages was that he told himself that was what he would be someday. And finally have the respect he deserved. They would love him, look up to him, and admire him. Just like they did to the one person he had always wanted to be. That bastard of a man that had always taken what he had always wanted for granted. He had it yet threw it away as nothing. Something disposable and meaningless. Just as their friendship had supposedly been. Nothing, nothing at all.




He could still vaguely feel the sensation of his lung being punctured by a strike to his chest. A hit that had been meant for his heart. To kill him and leave him there, just like he had the village. And why had he done it? To get revenge. Revenge on the one person he felt so horribly toward that he would kill his best friend to get it. But Uchiha were like that, always going to the furthest of their limits to see how powerful they could be. And thats how Sasuke had gotten himself into this predicament.




He was blinded so badly by revenge that he killed an entire village just to get it.




His feet touched ground and he searched around for that familiar presence. He sent a false signal for the other half of the team to head in the opposite direction. Away from Sasuke. And now he was alone, to deal with the traitor by himself. He looked around and was dimly aware of approaching footsteps. He could feel the light vibration of shoes touching ground, of cloth brushing cloth, hair mingling with wind. He opened his eyes and for the one brief second that the wind tussled his hair, his piercing blue eyes were met with deep onyx. He however refused to be sucked into the deep illusion that those eyes would bring, and looked away. He watched as the feet he was watching came closer, almost no space at all between them.




His eyes averted to the hand that was brought up to touch the outside of his mask. He quickly stepped back, hand resting at the small sword at his side. He schooled his features, making sure that he showed no emotion, even though his face couldn't be seen he knew the other could tell what expression he held. He noted that the other was still slightly taller than him. About three inches at most. His face was no longer rounded and soft, but held a strong gaze and was defined perfectly. His skin was still pale and it contrasted nicely with the deep shade of the shoulder length blue-black hair. What saddened him was that he still wore the infernal robes that of Orochimaru. The white obi that he wore was open, giving him a view of the toned muscles that lay beneath. He himself was not lacking, but it made him feel slightly inferior to see the pale chest of the other.




That brought him to his eyes. The same eyes that were traveling up and down his own body as well. He was observing his every move, every look, every motion. Those eyes were still dark, still emotionless. They held no trace of what he once was. What he used to be before all of this, before Itachi, before Orochimaru. Before that battle they had at The Valley of the End. They were dead an listless. Empty and dark. Much like his personality is now. His eyes reflect what he is thinking, and what he knows I'm thinking too. We know this will end it. And one of us will die today.




"Sasuke."




He doesn't say anything. Just leaps and makes the first attack, his own blade clashing against that of his own. And they go on like that. Blocking and attacking. Wounding and getting wounded. Punching and kicking. They go on and on, spreading their own blood, letting it clash against the cold ground. They cause bruises and gashes. Fighting for their own lives and will to live and go on for their own dreams. One to kill and the other to protect. Opposites trying to push the other away other than attract it. Trying to end that ceaseless pulling that draws them together. Wills them to seek each other out and stand still. They wont have it. It must end. Their own goals cannot be met when the other is in the way. They have to get rid of their one obstacle that refuses to be moved.




But the harder one tries. The harder the other pushes back.




And then Naruto stops. Caught off guard by a meaningless question.




"A fox?"




"Yes, a fox."




"So even with your rank as an ANBU, they still treat you that way, hm?"




"And your point?"




"I was right."




He glared, "Right about what?"




"That even if you became the most feared ninja there was, they wouldn't accept you. It would only turn you into what you are now. A slave to that pitiful village."




"And what's your point?"




"My point is that you didn't listen to me. You disobeyed."




"I can do what I want. I joined ANBU so I could get stronger. The same thing that you did."




"No, it's not the same."




"How is what I did, any different than what you did to get power?"




He blinked and the figure was gone. He gasps when unexpected arms cling around his waist. He feels warm breath on his cheek and the warmth of another body starts to seep through his uniform. But he stays still. Even as strong calloused hands pull away his mask to reveal his blue eyes and tanned whiskered cheeks, he doesn't move. He watches his fox mask fall to the ground and its eyes stare up mockingly at him. For the first time since he joined ANBU someone was able to see his face. To be able to watch the emotions play in his eyes and see as expressions cross through. That was why he refused to take it off in front of anyone. Because they could see what he was truly feeling through his deceitful eyes. His eyes that never hid what he felt when the rest of his face did. That was why he kept them hidden behind that mask. But not now. Right now they could plainly see the regret and pain displayed in his eyes. That, along with anger and hatred.




"Oh, it's very different, Naruto. Very different."




"How so?"




"You still had something to work towards. And yet, you threw that all away."




"You did the same." he takes a sharp intake of breath when the arms around his waist tighten their grip.




"Yes, but I was already doomed to this fate."




"Really..."




"I was, but you weren't."




"What would you know? You're just a traitor. Now get off of me."




"Sorry but I can't do that. Not until you tell me why you disobeyed."




"I do not follow the orders of someone lower than me. Especially those of a traitor." a low chuckle was his reply.



"Since when have I become lower than you, Uzumaki?" Naruto stopped the hands that were beginning to trail lower down his sides.



"The day you tried to kill me." another low chuckle, and by that time the blond had spun around and lodged his katana deep into the body of the other one. He was not surprised when the body disappeared. His eyes searched the area and he almost missed the scent of the other but soon recovered by blocking a kick to his side, but not before it sent him crashing into the bark of a tree.



"You were and still are lower than me." he barely heard the words before he started to hack up a crimson liquid. He looked up and he felt the stain of blood in his mouth. Sasuke stood before him, looking down at him with unreadable eyes.



"Look at you now Naruto, an empty shell, only useful to those who wish to use you."



"You're right. And the ones who wish to use me," he stands up. "Have commanded me to kill you." he held out his katana pointing the edge to his opponent. "Now you shall die, Sasuke." He thrust his katana forward, only missing the dark-haired man by an inch. There blades clashed together and the force was so brutal that it almost sent both fighters backward. He noted the sparks flying off of the other blade. What he had not expected was the other to throw his sword to knock his own out of his reach. He looks up with only a weak flare of determination in his dimming eyes.



With no other forms of fighting left and only a bit of his chakra remaining, a ball of what seemed to be swirling wind appeared in his hand. At that same moment a ball of electricity was already forming in the others palm. Everything calmed and for what was only a few mere seconds stretched out for eternity. They stared, until finally there was movement, and both were coming forward, no sound emitting anywhere. The masses of energy clashed, lightning and wind swirling everywhere, the two blues mixing together to create a portrait. Dirt kicked up and a swirling typhoon of leaves swirled around the two creating a thick mass that not even the most skilled Byakugan user could even hope to see through. The forest pulsed and the leaves were swallowed out by a drowning light that engulfed the area, until nothing else could be seen except endless white.



A pair of eyes blinked and fluttered open slowly. Large cerulean eyes that looked to be made of glass were revealed. More of the creature was revealed, and slowly a smile spread across it's features. Whiskered cheeks were caressed by a gentle smile, and the deep eyes were narrowed by it. A gentle and serene look washed over and it was calm.



Almost at the same time that bright blue eyes were open, equally stunning onyx were revealed. They blinked, and then a smile was brought to it's face as well. The two stayed like that, eyes locked onto each other and smiles showed. The moment was so serene and silent, that if one was foolish enough to believe, sad and soft music was played through the small amount of time. And as the light faded and the two small figures darkened and vanished, so did the music.




The white was cleared and yet it was still silent, alone in the settling dust if you looked closely you could make up two figures close together, almost too close. Everything settled finally and getting a once again clear view you could make out the shinobi.



Naruto's head was buried into a broad shoulder, unconsciously he inhaled the musky scent that was mixed with blood. His right hand felt oddly comfortable, like somehow it belonged where it was. It was warm and cluttered, and he barely felt the wetness soaking into his arm. He clutched his blood soaked hand, and smiled lightly into the persons shoulder. He only felt the slight tingle of pain now, his body was too numb to care anymore. He did however, notice that his body was losing warmth, becoming more cold by the second.



Naruto knew he couldn't remove his arm from the others chest, as Sasuke couldn't remove his own arm from Naruto's chest.



A trickle of blood left his mouth and he shuddered. He lifted his head as much as he could to look at Sasuke to see if he was dead yet. In fact he wasn't and he was oddly relieved. Naruto's forehead rested on the others and he kept his smile in place. Even though his eyes were dimming, he could see a flash of light in his dark eyes.



"Hey Sasuke....."



"Hm...?"



"Thank you..."



And Sasuke was smiling too.






~Owari~





Happy Valetines Day. And make sure to have a better one than Sasuke-san and Naruto-neechan, ne?


I attempted to use present tense here but failed.... So don't be too harsh...I know it has many mistakes and mixed emotions but that's because I started to work on it about a month ago...and then decided I wanted to end it this way. Gomenasai.


And thanks to all of you who have reviewed any of my other stories recently. I will reply to you soon....if TONFA lets me reply...lately it's been messing up so I haven't been able to get back to you. But I will! ^^


Hope all your love wishes come true. 'Cause mine did.





~lemon