TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Path of my Brothers by TeamWorkIsKey

[Reviews - 37]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: A/N: Alright, obviously, I'm not going to write out all the of the fights in the Chunin exams because we all know that would be a horrible, horrible idea. That being said, I'm going to try an paraphrase them as best I can. If you want to see the canon fights check them out online! I won't change any of the pairings because that could get messy. I'm really only changing the order by inserting my characters.

Disclaimer: Naruto is the property of Masashi Kishimoto! His original characters are his, while my original characters are mine!
Ayako still stood by Sachida’s unconscious side and watched the medics -who were dressed in all white- prepare to whisk him away. They hustled in once Hayate deemed her the winner and immediately performed a quick check to make sure it was safe to maneuver him onto the stretcher currently being rolled out. It was, of course. After all, she didn’t do too much damage to the boy. The most that happened was when she launched him into the railing and at the very end.

She couldn’t stop herself from giggling at that part, though. He held his head so high, if it rained, he’d be the first one to know, and yet, there he was, lying on the ground because he got a little scared of an icicle. His pride was surely knocked down to his feet.

As the medics were poking and grabbing Sachida, he stirred awake.

Blinking a few times, he glanced at the people around him. Shock easily washed over his face as he soaked up the scene. “What?! I lost?!” he exclaimed and became hysterical. He tried to struggle, but because his head was the only part of his body he could move, it just shook back and forth.

Ayako grinned at the sight. Such a sore loser… “Obviously,” she replied, nonchalantly.

Sachida caught sight of her. “How did you beat me?!” He demanded to know as the medics lifted the stretcher and began to make their exit.

She let out a disappointed sigh and walked beside him. “I told you. You’re the type of person who is fooled easily by appearances and thinks your strength can make up for it, even though it can’t.”

“What do you mean?” An eyebrow raised on his pouting face. He wasn’t understanding what she meant by saying pure physique wasn’t enough to win. That’s all he’s ever known because, as it turns out, he really wasn’t the smartest cookie in the cookie jar.

“Didn’t you pay attention to the motto on the wall when you entered this building? If you want to be a successful shinobi, you’ve got to have both the mind and the body to do so. I did, but what about you?”

The boy opened his mouth to speak, but then shut it and looked away.

“Yeah that’s right,” Ayako continued calmly. “You only had body. You have to understand that sheer force isn’t always going to win. You need a strategy to back it up. Otherwise, your opponent will see right through it and you’ll end up like you are right now.”

Not another word was said by him, and he looked away like he was defeated for a second time. The Genin chatting above and shoes tapping the floor as they got closer to the doorway filled the space between them for a moment.

“You’re not the only one who thought I was weak, you know.” Ayako broke the silence, capturing his full attention, and yet again, he saw a softer side flush over her. “My clan used to think the same, which is funny because you said they’d be proud of me for my Sharingan.” Oddly, she smiled and chuckled at that. “Probably not. They believed I’d never even become a shinobi, but look at where I am. All because of that boy up there.” Pointing at the center of the balcony, he followed with his eyes. “See the one standing next to the loudmouth? Yeah, he’s my twin brother, and he’s the reason why I worked so hard for five years. He’s the reason why I proved you wrong. He’s the reason why I’m strong. Do you have someone like that?”

His eyes bulged at the question and for once he was speechless.

By now they made it to the entrance. Ayako planted her feet on the line that separated the hallway and the room while the medics kept going. When they were completely out of sight, she headed up the stairs to rejoin her team without his answer. Not like she was expecting one, anyhow.

However, he did reply. It just wasn’t loud or close enough for her to catch it. Still, he mustered up the nerve to say, “Yeah… I do…” And an image of his five younger siblings flashed in his mind. It was then he realized how stupid he was for judging a book by it’s cover.

He hadn’t fought a princess, he fought a warrior.

Ayako strode on the elevated platform with pride in each step as she passed the various teams. First was Kabuto’s who ignored her presence. Then Team Eight who gave her grins, except Shino of course. Next was Team Gai where she received thumbs up from Lee, Ten Ten, and Gai sensei, and nothing from Neji. After them she met Team Seven and her own, stopping in between the two.

“That was awesome, Ayako!” Naruto chanted, punching his fist in the air.

“Yeah, congratulations!” Sakura added.

“It was pretty impressive,” Sasuke admitted, casually, keeping his cool guy attitude up without a struggle.

“Great work. I actually thought he was going to pee his pants when you had him.” Etsuyo giggled at the thought.

“That would’ve made things even better,” Yumika commented. “Good job.”

Ayako smiled widely. The praise built up her confidence and she could feel it wiggle around in her, tickling her skin. “Oh, thanks you g-“ Suddenly she winced, interrupted by a pain jolting through her left leg. It gave out from under her causing her to lose balance and fall sideways.

Sasuke moved quickly and wrapped his arms around her waist, lifting her back on her feet. She grasped onto his arms, tightly. By his support, she remained upright.

Nishiya rushed to her aid. “Here, let me heal you,” the woman offered. Lifting up her left hand, green chakra flowed out of it. She kneeled down and placed it over the cut inflicted by Sachida’s Tanto.

Ayako glanced down and noticed, for the first time, how much she bled. Crimson trickled from the slash almost down to her knee. The sight made a bead of sweat drop on her forehead. I had no idea it was that bad... she thought and supposed she was so focused on her fight, she forgot it was there.

Deep inside, her tissue began to connect together again, closing the wound.

“It’s not very deep,” Nishiya informed. “And it didn’t rip open more when you fought, which is very good. I don’t think it’ll scar.”

The girl merely nodded and leaned against her brother, waiting until her sensei was done.

She finished by wiping off the blood and carefully wrapping her leg up with some medical tape. Standing up she asked,

“Anything else need to be taken care of.”

“Well, considering I got kicked and punched around like a practice dummy I’d say yes...but it’s nothing I can’t handle.” Ayako replied honestly with a smile, pulling her brother’s arms away.

“Alright then. Despite the fact you didn’t have access to your element until the end, you did fine today. You held your ground well with taijutsu.” Nishiya patted her head gently.

“Thanks sensei.”

“Wait a second,” Sakura started. “What do you mean she didn’t have access to her element, Nishiya sensei? Couldn’t she have done a water style jutsu and used that?”

“It doesn’t work for us that way,” Etsuyo answered quickly for her. The whole team looked at the girl who rocked back and forth on her heels and stood next to Yumika. “In order for us to use our nature, they have to be around or close by because our chakra kind of... expects them to be there. So, as if it has a choice, it chooses not to create it like ninjutsu.”

“I mentioned a while ago our chakra becomes absorbed,” Ayako continued on for her, referencing back to the time she gave Team Seven the lesson on the Children of Mother Nature. “That means, it doesn’t change form… well it can with other elements, just not our specific one.”

“Luckily there’s always air around for me to move,” Yumika muttered with a shrug.

“Dirt is everywhere,” Nishiya added.

Etsuyo pointed up a finger. “And I can use my body heat if necessary.”

Ayako crossed her arms, rolled her eyes, and grumbled at her teammates. “I’m usually the sitting duck.”

They jokingly laughed at her frowning in jealousy, even though it was never a big deal if she was in that situation. Regardless of the handicap, she’d find a way to lend a hand. Those were the traits which made her a good kunoichi.

“I believe it’s time this conversation ended,” Kakashi intervened. “They’re choosing the next two opponents.”

All six Genin looked back to Hayate who stood in the center of the room. “It’s time to choose who will face off in the second match.”

The room fell silent as the panel flashed yellow. Once again, names shuffled frantically for a good chunk of time until two names appeared clearly. Some stared eagerly while others remained calm until the panel did in fact stop and it was set.

Sasuke Uchiha vs. Yoroi Akado!

“Hn… they don’t waste any time.” He turned to his left and headed for the stairs, though he was stopped by Kakashi for a second.

Ayako beamed with excitement at the sight of her brother’s name. She was finally given the chance to see what he could do and the skills he’s learned. All these years while she busted her butt training, he for sure had done the same and now was the time for him to show her how much stronger he has become.

But that enthusiasm grew cold at the thought of strength… at the thought of power.

The words of Orochimaru rang in her ear, though they were said in Sakura’s voice. ”I just gave him a little parting gift. In time, Sasuke will seek me out for more power.”

I almost forgot about the mark… Ayako remembered, biting her lip, eyes on Sasuke filled with apprehension as he stood across from his opponent, hand holding his neck. If it takes over again, what will he do?

Sasuke and Yoroi were face to face. Eying one another up and down in disgust, thinking the other had no chance at winning.

“If there are no objections, let the second match begin.” Hayate stepped back.

The fight looked like it could go either way from the beginning.

At first it seemed as though Sasuke had the upper hand until his mark started acting up again, causing waves of pain to shoot from his body. Taking advantage of his stumbling, Yoroi appeared quickly above him and punched down. But Sasuke easily dodged it by rolling over to the side and making his opponent fall, holding him in a lock.

He has him already! Ayako cheered in her mind. Her smile grew every second as she watched her brother. It quickly fell when Yoroi flipped his hand over and grabbed onto Sasuke’s shirt. With chakra erupting from his hand, Sasuke began to weaken as his opponents hand easily slipped from his grasp and smashed hard down onto his chest.

Now Yoroi had the upper hand. He flipped away for a moment but then charged forward, his right hand extended in front of him with chakra continuously flowing around. He latched onto Sasuke’s head, pinning him back to the ground.

Ayako listened painfully as he yelled out. She clenched onto the railing for dear life waiting for the tables to turn back in his favor. Not only was she doing that, she was desperately fighting the urge to jump down there and help him out because by the looks of things, she believed it wasn’t going to end the way she wanted it to.

Sasuke held onto the boy’s arm until chunks of his strength drained out with every second, and he couldn’t grasp on any longer. His hand slipped off and landed on the ground.

However, after a few moments, something ran through his body. A sudden wave of energy allowed him to make a fist and kick Yoroi away.

“Get off me!” Sasuke shouted while his opponent flew off of him. Immediately he tried to stand, swaying as he did so.

Yoroi got up on his feet quickly and charged at him again, swinging his hands. As best as he could, Sasuke dodged every strike, yet with another little touch, he was weakened even more. He shuffled forward, walking around Yoroi to get away. His breathing grew rapidly as he turned around, having a lost look on his face.

From the corner of her eye, Ayako noticed Naruto shake with irritation as he watched his teammate struggle.

“Hey Sasuke!”he hollered below, leaning half his body over the railing. “Come on, man! What was that?! And you call yourself an Uchiha?! You’re gonna let this goon walk all over you! Come on, stop messing around and get it in gear!”

That irked Ayako enough for her to finally speak during the match. “Naruto!” A twitching hand latched onto the front of his orange jacket. “If your yelling annoyed and distracted me while I fought, how do you think it’ll affect Sasuke?!”

He tried to think of a good answer, despite the fact her raging appearance scared him a bit, but before he could actually say anything, Yumika spoke up.

“Actually Ayako…it looks like it helped.”

A small gasp escaped her lips as she pushed Naruto away and snapped her attention back to the ground.

It was true. Sasuke was successfully moving away from Yoroi’s attacks with some ease. With one last swing, Sasuke disappeared for a split second and reappeared below. He kicked his chin, knocking him high in the air. Blood spattered out from behind the cloth that covered the bottom half of Yoroi’s face.

Sasuke followed close after him, leaping from the ground. He appeared underneath Yoroi and they both flew through the air.

Ayako smiled, amazed at the sight before her...though it didn’t last for long. Her smile faded once she saw her brother writhe in mid-air from the burning, fiery red mark that began to spread and creep up his neck, and crawl over his face. Oh no! Not again! She stared aghast, clasping her hands to her mouth and bracing herself for the worst.

“Is that the mark?” Etsuyo whispered quietly so no one else would hear.

Hesitatingly, Ayako nodded not taking her eyes off of her brother. The image of him engulfed with the dark, purple chakra swirled in her mind. Fear ran through her body as she remembered how ruthless he became in that state. At this rate, that thing will take over for sure… I wouldn’t be surprised if he killed Yoroi without a second thought.

She stopped breathing while she waited for the nightmare.

...But it never came.

Ayako exhaled sharply when the mark receded back to its origin and Sasuke was back to normal.

Sasuke took action and twisted in the air and kicked Yoroi, then punched him and maneuvered his way so he ended up above. With another smack of his arm, Yoroi shot downward.

“I’m not done yet!” Sasuke roared, swinging his foot around and brought it down hard on Yoroi’s stomach. “Lion’s Barrage!” Blood erupted from his draped mouth.

Her brother rolled backwards and ended up face down on his stomach. At that moment, both candidates looked unconscious.

No one said a word about the baffling scene. If neither of them remain standing, does that mean it’s a draw?

That question was answered when Sasuke shakily sat up, breathing hard and wiping his mouth.

Hayate wandered over to Yoroi’s body to see if he was at all conscious. He wasn’t. “I’m declaring this match over. As the winner of this preliminary round, Sasuke Uchiha moves onto the finals.”

“Way to go!” Naruto shrieked.

“He did it!” Ayako cheered happily, jumping up and down.

“See, my words of advice helped him out!” Naruto turned on Ayako.

“Yeah right!” she playfully argued. “He probably wanted to ended it so words would stop coming out of your loud mouth.” He spun around and grumbled in response to her harsh words. She grinned proudly, glancing at her beat twin. It certainly was odd to admit that the knucklehead may have lent a game changing hand in his match. Of course, she’d never say it aloud, nonetheless thank him for it.

Supposing his injuries were concerning enough, Nishiya leaped down to check on Yoroi.

At least you finished it without that mark. Ayako felt a little relieved, even so, the fear in her mind still lurked around. As long as that mark was still there, she will always feel uneasy whenever he battles.

Suddenly, Kakashi appeared out of a puff of smoke behind Sasuke. He kept him from falling backwards by having him lean on his knee. They exchanged a few words, all kept between them except her brother complaint. “I want to see who gets to go onto the finals!”

She realized then that he was being taken.

As he got up without another protest, the two began to walk away.

Ayako couldn’t suppress the idea of standing by and no knowing what was going to happen next, so she gave in to her urge, jumped over the railing and ran to Kakashi and Sasuke.

“Kakashi sensei!” she called getting closer to them. “You’re going to do something about that mark aren’t you? Do-do you think I could come along…?”

“How do you know-“

She interrupted him. “Sakura told me everything when I ran into your team in the forest.”

“Ayako, you don’t need to come,” Sasuke said sharply.

“Yes I do!” she shot back. “I just want to make sure you’re going to be alright. Is that too much to ask?” He didn’t answer and only turned away with an almost angry look on his face. She couldn’t help but wonder why that was his expression.

Ayako looked back at Kakashi and saw his gaze was directed behind them. She followed it to see he was exchanging looks with Nishiya who helping the other medics with Yoroi. He was basically asking for permission with his eyes.

*Flashback*

It was early in the morning on the fifth day. All the Jonin of the teams who made it to the tower with the scrolls were gathered in the main room where the preliminaries would be held. The ones from outside the village kept to themselves while those from Konoha grouped together… not including the senseis of Team Shizen and Team Seven. Those two conversed a good distance away.

Nishiya pulled Kakashi aside to discuss an important matter.

“Kakashi,” she spoke quietly. “I was informed about what happened with Sasuke, and I wanted to let you know, I can take care of it as soon as he arrives. That is, if you’d like me to. If I can get a good look at it, I can probably find a way to seal it.”

Usually she wouldn’t bother aiding a man she barely knew or even liked for that matter, but due to the fact it dealt with the relative of her student who was his student, she made an exception.

Surprisingly, he shrugged. “Don’t worry about it. I already know what to do if it gets out of hand.”

“Are you sure?” She rose an eyebrow.

“Positive.”

Honestly, she was ready to take on the challenge. Nevertheless, she trusted him. “Okay, then. Feel free to take Sasuke away whenever you see fit. I won’t intervene and I’ll make sure no one else does either.”


Nishiya blinked a few times, switching from her student to him, and then nodded once.

“Alright, Ayako…let's go.”

All three of them left the room in silence and headed for a place only Kakashi knew about. What was going to happen next, Ayako couldn't have ever imagined.
Chapter end notes: A/N: Tapped into Ayako's thoughts as usual. Next chapter should come out either tonight or tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling. It should be a good one to considering what will be in store. You can probably guess. ;) Thanks for reading! Hope to see a lovely review from you.

P.S. Have any of you seen the sketches for the next and last Naruto Movie? Oh my gosh I'm so excited!... but I didn't think Sakura would be in it because I actually thought she'd end up dying. :P Oops...

Anyways... see ya soon!