TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Can't Hold a Smile by seizansha

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: If you would have granted your Great Hero’s dying wish his own son would not be so scarred, so starved for love and affection that he would leave this wretched place the first chance he has.
Disclaimer: it’s Masashi Kishimoto's universe, I'm only playing in it.
AN: my Kyuubi’s not so dormant right now, and nowhere near as angry. But I think things would be different if he’d always been there, awake.

--

It’s taken five and a half years of rumormongers and false trails, avengers and backtracking; but she finally found him. In the most unlikely place.

The sky rabbit was almost out its hole[1] when she found him on the target field – letting three baby ninja beat him into the ground.

“This is what you get for trying to steal others’ shuriken,” one roared as he kicked him in the stomach.

Another drew a kunai, “If you want one so bad here,” he snapped it right into his arm, “have mine, demon.”

“Master…” she whispered, watching the blood flow, the tiny hand try to cover the wound. “ Why…”

The loud crack was the last straw. Killing intent flared across the field as she changed to human form, stepping out of the shadows. “Do not touch him again,” her whisper hit like an avalanche.

Squealing and crying, they tumbled over themselves as they scrambled away.

Her heart broke at the sight of him. A six year old human male; spiky blonde hair matted with dirt and blood, his right eye bruised and swelling, that chubby hand getting cut as it curled around the blade in his right arm, his left leg bending where it shouldn’t.

“Mast—“ she stopped as she realized it.

There were two scents, two chakras. And somehow the boy’s was overpowering her master’s.

“So it is true,” she whispered before kneeling beside him. Reaching out to help him up, she wasn’t surprised to watch him flinch. “Don’t worry little one, I won’t hurt you. They’re not coming back.”

He sniffled, trying to wipe his nose, his eyes without letting go of his arm. “May-maybe not… but-but their moms and d-dads will,” he choked out.

She smiled softly as she wiped his cheeks with her sleeves, “You just leave them to me. Let’s get you cleaned up.” Tearing the bottom hem off her dress, she put it in his hand before grabbing his arm between the knife and his shoulder, “Press it in as soon as I pull it out, alright?”

He nodded, barely getting it there before passing out against her. Holding it down with him, she took advantage of the chance. ‘Master. Master, can you hear me?’

‘Hisoka?’
the whisper echoed through her, ‘Come inside Hisoka.’

Slipping in effortlessly, she waded through the hallway, simultaneously angered and relieved at the jail appearance. Following his chakra, she stopped at the sight of the boy standing just outside the room he was sealed within. He turned to her, confusion bright in those so-blue eyes, “So you’re Hisoka?” she nodded, “And you know him?” he turned back to the doorway.

“Yes. He has been my sensei for many, many years now. He’s a very dear friend of mine,” she answered as she stood beside him.

He suddenly turned away. “So he’s the one you’re helping, not me.”

“No Naruto,” that gruff voice boomed from the doorway. “She would not have stepped in if it was my fight.”

“No pup so small should be beaten so badly,” she softly placed her hand on his shoulder.

He huffed but his voice wavered, “I’ve had worse.”

“It’s true Hisoka,” the Kyuubi added, “I’ve pulled him away from Death many times now.” His sigh burned through the air around them, “You realize they’re only going to get worse now that you’re in the Academy, Kit. They’ll use your excuse against you – you’re out to prove yourself so you’re picking fights. You’ll be kicked out in no time.”

He spun back around, “It’s all because of you!!”

“And I would take revenge on each and every one of them if it wouldn’t kill us both,” the water boiled out the doorway, “I hate this situation more than you do Kit, but Death’s our only way out!”

“NO!!” he snapped back, “I’m gonna prove I’m not you! I’m gonna be Hokage and show them all I wanna do is help everyone, to protect them all even after everything they’ve done to me! I’m gonna be the most famous Kage ever! The whole world’s gonna know my name!” He kicked water at the doorway, “I want people to see ME not YOU!!”

Hisoka smiled sadly, “Is that what you really want Naruto?”

He turned to her with tears in his eyes, “Yeah! I… I want…… I want someone, anyone to care.”

She stepped closer, wiping his eyes. “I care. I wouldn’t have stopped them if I didn’t.” She turned to the doorway with his face still in her hands, “I wouldn’t say this in front of you if I didn’t. Danger approaches Master.”

The whole building vibrated with his hum, “So it really does exist…”

“I couldn’t find all the others, thankfully Yonbi’s still in his cage. There’s rumors Ichibi’s been transferred into a human again. Hachibi still runs amok and Sanbi has been sighted recently.” She turned back to Naruto, “Even if they are still free, it’s not safe for any of you.”

That desert wind blew over them again, “No, it’s even worse. I’m sorry Kit, we have to leave.”

“NO!” he stamped his foot, splashing them both.

Flames licked the doorway, “Damn it brat, weren’t you even listening! This shithole has never faced the kind of danger you’re in! No one here is capable of teaching you what you need to survive. Do you honestly think they’ll teach you anything really useful?! They’re terrified I’ll use it against them. We can show you things this place has never even dreamed of, could never wrap their narrow little minds around. If you wanna keep living you have to leave!!”

“No!” he swung at the flames, “I’m gon—“

“If you wanna be a blasted Kage so badly, I’ll make you your own damn village!” the fires died down, “If you really want to protect all the bastards that hate you, have almost killed you so many times already the best thing to do is leave!”

The tears dripping off his chin sizzled in the water as she pulled him close, “Don’t worry, you won’t be alone anymore. I’ll be with you every step of the way.”
Hisoka paused as she pulled back, pulling them out of his mind. Ignoring the jounin across the field, she cupped his cheek and smiled softly, “I’ll love you like my own pup.”

Those watery blue eyes widened briefly before it all came crashing back, making him droop.

“Naruto what—“ Iruka called out across the range; both he and the silver-haired jounin stopping at the sight of her. Fine moonlight hair flowed down the back of a basic kunoichi fighting dress. Simple basic blue, stiff collared with sleeves about eight inches too long; the skirt stopped a few inches above her knees, the slit in the side revealing about an inch or two of fishnet. She just knelt there, surprisingly barefoot, watching the little boy.

They both gasped when they saw him. The bruise and swelling around his eye was fading. He was holding a blue and black cloth tightly to his arm, the blood running downward, dripping off his fingers. His far leg was buckling below his knee, his toes pointing towards them were the only part touching the ground. Slowly turning his foot towards her, they were shocked at the slight pops, the whimpers as he stood there, his leg straightening out, shifting his weight back and forth. Realizing something else was splattering the ground, Iruka whispered, “Naruto…”

As if he’d heard him, the little boy looked up into icy blue cat-slit eyes, moonlight glistening on his face as he turned to them, the rivers of tears emphasizing that the black eye was now sickly green. He tried to smile, his lips quivering before he turned back to her, “I… I wanna go home.”

“Naruto!” the other jounin called out, putting Iruka back on edge.

The woman was smiling softly at him, drying his eyes as she stood, a sudden swaying motion behind her putting both men on high alert, kunai instantly in each hand. She only stepped closer, taking him in her arms as five tails fanned out, flowing, dancing behind her. “Sleep little one, you’re safe now,” she whispered as she pressed his head to her shoulder, turning to face the shinobi.

Gone was the kind, caring woman. Tails writhing behind her only heightened the anger and disgust feeding the blue flames in those demonic eyes. That soft voice had gone as cold and lifeless as the grave. “You bare witness. This is his own choice, no tricks. It is your fault, the blame of this entire village. If you would have granted your Great Hero’s dying wish his own son would not be so scarred, so starved for love and affection that he would leave this wretched place the first chance he has. Now he will have a life, a real home.”

Turning to the forest, she looked back over his head, his eyelids drooping, “As for the future of this place, I leave it in his hands.”

They vanished with the last syllable.

“His own son…” Iruka whispered, turning to the other.

He just stared. “Sensei…”

--------------
[1] ‘sky rabbit’ – it’s not the ‘man on the moon’ in Japan, it’s a rabbit; head on, the man’s eyes are the rabbit’s ears. So ‘almost out its hole’ is it’s almost a full moon.
Chapter end notes: I just wanna say it’s not all of them.