TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Tired of Tears by Swords_and_Bandages

[Reviews - 3]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, or the song I'm using here.

My second songfic. The song is "So Sick" by Ne-Yo. Hope you can enjoy it. I'm truly sorry if this seems a little too OOC.

For now, this is a standalone fic. I might incorporate it into a future story of mine, but I can't say for certain at this point.
Mmmm, mmm, yeah…
Do do do do do do do-do
Hmm yeah…



The radio-clock on the nightstand sang out as it hit 7:00. Shikamaru lay still in bed, making no effort to stop the singing. He didn’t feel like it.

In fact, he didn’t feel like doing anything. He hadn’t even been out of his room in a long time. Nothing was worth doing anymore. But it wasn’t because he was lazy.

His phone rang. He paid no attention.

The answering machine turned on.

“Hi, you’ve reached Ino and Shikamaru …”


Gotta change my answering machine
Now that I’m alone
’Cause right now it says that we
Can’t come to the phone



That voice. The only reason he cared, now gone. Out of his life. He would never hear that voice again. Never hear her laugh, pout, argue, fuss… never again. He didn’t wish to, either. It brought back too much. But he couldn’t bring himself to change that message. She wasn’t here, but such an act gave the truth a finality he could not accept. But he couldn’t deny it, either… she was gone, and she wasn’t coming back.

“…We can’t come to the phone right now, so leave your name and number, and we’ll get back to you!”


And I know it makes no sense
’Cause you walked out the door
But it’s the only way I hear your voice anymore



“Shikamaru, I have to tell you something…”

“…yes?”

“I…”

“Ino…”

“I-I don’t think this is working out.”

“Ino… why?”

“I’m sorry, Shikamaru… but we’re just too different.”

“But, what about…”

“I’m really, really sorry, Shika. But it’s like you never pay attention to me anymore.”

“That’s not true. Ino, I…”

“Shika, it’s so obvious… you’ve got other things on your mind.”

“Ino, please stay. Please.”

“I can’t, Shika. I’m sorry…”

“*sigh*… so this is it?”

“I guess…”

“……”

“Goodbye, Shikamaru.”


(It’s ridiculous)
It’s been months
For some reason I just
(Can’t get over us)
And I’m stronger than this



That was the end of it. She walked out of the door, and he never saw her again.

The first day had ground by slowly. He felt… all right. To be frank, he didn’t feel anything. He went about his business at home, and lethargy began to set in, but he didn’t break down or anything. Not until 3 days had passed did the fact sink in that she was gone. Memories surged into his head, taking away what little remained that held the shell of a man together. He crumbled to pieces.


(Enough is enough)
No more walking ‘round
With my head down
I’m so over being blue
Crying over you



Shikamaru sighed, shaking his head. He felt pathetic.

His vision blurred. Tears streaked down the corners of his eyes.

Why did he even cry anymore?

Honestly speaking, this was getting absurd. He’d thought he could handle something like this.

Yet apparently he couldn’t. Coping with loss was actually easier than it appeared, some have declared. Sure. Even if this pain wouldn’t last forever, every moment was like an eternity, weighing on his psyche.

The radio kept playing, broadcasting the doleful ballad. It just made him feel even worse. But he couldn’t turn it off.


And I’m so sick of love songs
So tired of tears
So done with wishing
You were still here
Said I’m so sick of love songs
So sad and slow
So why can’t I turn off the radio?



Why was he doing this? Why? Why didn’t it stop hurting? Why couldn’t he move on?

No one answered him as he turned his head to look out of the window. Snow fell from a sky of dismal grey. Shikamaru sighed again, his emotions at the bluest hue. And though it was warm inside, he felt cold without her.


Gotta fix that calendar I have
That’s marked July 15th
Because since there’s no more you
There’s no more anniversary
I’m so fed up with my thoughts of you
And your memory
And now every song reminds me
Of what used to be



Shikamaru remembered. That one sweet summer night. The promise.

“Ino, I’ve got something for you…”

“What is it, Shika?”

“……”

“What is it? Tell me!”

“I… uh…”

“Come on and say it, Shikamaru.”

“Um…”

“What’s that you got behind your back?”

“Ino… will you marry me?”

“… Oh, my, goodness.”

“Ino?”


That’s the reason I’m so sick of love songs
So tired of tears
So done with wishing
You were still here
Said I’m so sick of love songs
So sad and slow
So why can’t I turn off the radio?



Momentary pause.

Immediately, she hugged him close. After a long embrace, she let him go, looking into his eyes. Her own eyes were as clear as the blue sky.

“How can I ever say no, Shikamaru?”

“Um…”

“When will it be?”

“One year. Exactly. I’ll marry you on this date next year.”

“Hmm…”

“I love you, Ino.”

“I love you too, Shikamaru.”

(Leave me alone)
Leave me alone
(Stupid love songs)
Hey, don’t make me think about her smile
Or having my first child
Let it go
Turning off the radio



That night, overtaken by passion, they made sweet love. How nice were things then. No matter how hard he’d try, Shikamaru would never forget it.

This was just too much to bear. He still missed her.

That voice. The meaning of his life, now the bane of his existence. A gift, now a curse. He still remembered how nice it was to hear her speak.

That mouth, whose words enticed him so easily and drew him into a web of pleasure. She was sweeter than honey. He was addicted.

Those lips, blessing him with a touch of heaven each time they kissed.

Everything. No more. Now it was winter, the landscape barren of livery, his heart devoid of joy.


’Cause I’m so sick of love songs
So tired of tears
So done with wishing
She was still here
Said I’m so sick of love songs
So sad and slow
So why can’t I turn off the radio?
(Why can’t I turn off the radio?)



He had to stop this. He couldn’t keep on hurting.

It was time to move on.

Shikamaru forced himself from the bed amid his shambled emotions. A part of him wanted to fall back, and cry his heart out into the pillow. The other part led him outside, where the snow would numb his misery.

Conflicted, he slammed against the wall. Why couldn’t he just let it all go?


Said I’m so sick of love songs
So tired of tears
So done with wishing
She was still here
Said I’m so sick of love songs
So sad and slow
So why can’t I turn off the radio?
(Why can’t I turn off the radio?)



His tore his hands through his hair. The music continued playing as he staggered through the room, as if seized upon by forces of his own mind. Falling down at the windowsill, he gazed at the sky with eyes reddened from weeping; from a tender throat, he softly uttered one word.

“Why?”


And I’m so sick of love songs
So tired of tears
So done with wishing
You were still here
Said I’m so sick of love songs
So sad and slow
Why can’t I turn off the radio?
(Why can’t I turn off the radio?)
Why can’t I turn off the radio?