TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Memories by prettypup

[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: This is for the anniversary challenge! This story is more dramatic than my other stories, but give it a try, I'm pretty good at the drama!
The sun had risen late on that dark January day. It was winter in Sunagakure, but still just as warm and dry as always. Gaara went to the small window in his room to watch the sun rise and the long night end. Gaara did this almost every morning, but it was a special morning for Gaara today. It was Gaara's 13th birthday, but it was also the 13th anniversary of the death of his mother, Karuru. All morning, memories had been haunting him. The anguished screams of his mother, the roar of the demon Shukaka, the tears of his siblings and uncle...

Gaara's birthday was never really a time to celebrate. Infact, at some times it had been the worst day of the year. As Gaara's eyes stared blankly into the bright yellow sun, he remembered...

* * * *

Gaara couldn't remember every thing that happened on the day he was born, as most people can't, but he new it was not like most births. From the moment he took his first breath he was a killer. The demon inside him had already destroyed his mother and many of the medics and midwives with her. A ninja who had been assigned to bring Gaara to the Kazekage had also been literally torn limb from limb by the vicious Shukaka. Noone hugged or held Gaara like any other baby. To nearly everybody in the village, Gaara wasn't just any other baby. He was a monster.

* * * *

On Gaara's fifth birthday, Gaara asked his father why he didn't get a party or gifts like the other children. And the Kazakage had coldly replied, "Because noone cares about your birthday."
That was right. Noone cared how old Gaara was. Noone cared what Gaara wanted or how Gaara felt. As far as anyone knew, Gaara, like other monsters, didn't have any feelings. Gaara was only worth as much as he could work for the Kazekage. That was his only use. Gaara went to his uncle's house that day feeling more worthless and ignored that usual, but as he climbed the stairs to his room, he found something on the pillow of his bed. From Yashamaru, the little card on the box said. Gaara opened it up to find a brand new little teddy bear. It was the nicest present anyone had ever given him. It was the ONLY present anyone had ever given him. Gaara hugged his teddy bear close and ended the day feeling slightly loved.

* * * *

Two years later, Gaara spent his birthday silent and alone, besides the worn teddy bear he held underneath his arm. It wasn't long after Yashamaru had died. More specifically, killed. "Killed by me." Gaara thought. He looked at the threadbare teddy bear next to him. "I never thanked Yashamaru for that teddy bear, did I..," his said quietly to himself. Downstairs, he heard Temari and Kankurou talking and playing. They had a normal life. And in about four months, when Kankurou will turn nine years old, he would have a party, and gifts. He would have a cake, and candles to blow out. But today was Gaara's birthday, and nothing special was happening. Gaara was all alone in his room, stuck with the grief and the memories...

* * * *

Probably the worst birthday of all had been Gaara's tenth. Once again, he was lonely. He didn't even have his teddy bear to keep him company anymore and the memories haunted him more than ever. They were deep and painful, sinking in like knife cutting through flesh. Gaara couldn't take it anymore. He had to end this somehow. He had to kill...

Gaara decided he didn't care what would happen to him afterward, and he didn't care if people would just hate him more if he did it, but he was going to kill everyone. Everyone in the village. He would destroy the entire village and then run away, away from the pain and the memories. But when Gaara stepped outside and as he approached his young sister Temari to make his first kill, he could have sworn he heard the voice of his mother scream, "Please don't kill my child!" Gaara froze in his tracks and shuddered. It was definitely not his imagination. The voice was coming from inside him, from inside his sand. Temari turned to see her youngest brother running back towards the house, followed by a trail of sand. Gaara never attempted to murder Temari or Kankuro again.

* * * *
And now it was Gaara's thirteenth birthday and the memories once again soaked in. The sun was high in the sky now and he could see from the window he had looked out of so many times that the village was beginning to stir with action. People were greeting eachother in the streets and entering stores and doing jobs. Noone knew it was Gaara's birthday and noone cared. And just as Gaara was about to go downstairs to eat breakfast, he heard a light knock on his bedroom door.

When he opened it, he saw his brother and sister standing in the doorway. They both had smiles on their face and Kankuro was holding something. Gaara saw that it was tray of cupcakes. Gaara stared in confusion and listened in awe as Temari said in a unusually sweet voice, "Happy Birthday Gaara!" Gaara couldn't believe this. He had never had a birthday celebration in his life. So this wasn't much of a celebration. Times were hard for the Kazekage's children after he had died, so their were only four cupcakes on the tray, probably from an old leftover bag of cupcake mix, and Temari wasn't a great cook, so the cupcakes were probably dry, but it was always the thought that counts and even a bit of aknowledgement on his birthday was enough. Kankuro placed the tray on a small table in Gaara's room and said, "Yeah, happy birthday Gaara." This was Kankuro, the same brother he had threatened to kill in the Forest of Death. "Try a cupcake!" Temari added cheerfully. This was Temari, the same sister he had mercilessly smacked away from him when she had tryed to help him before his vicious fight with Sasuke Uchiha. Gaara almost wanted to cry. "C'mon Gaara try one, I made them myself." Temari said a bit sarcastically. Gaara picked up a cupcake and took a small bite. Hey its not that bad, Gaara thought. As Gaara finished his cupcakes he felt almost like a normal kid, having a normal birthday. At that moment, Gaara made a decision. He didn't have to be constantly depressed or haunted anymore. He could start a new life and now his siblings could love him. So Gaara took all his memories and let them go, leaving the past and all its sadness behind, feeling loved once again.