TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Naruto: Skipping the Rift by N1nj45tyl3

[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

In case anyone was wondering this fic is based off the manga, not any of the filler episodes. Also just for note, this fic also takes into consideration that Naruto defeated Akatsuki some how, but has not yet defeated Sasuke and Orochimaru. Itachi is still alive and Sasuke is still huting him, so appearances by those two is still possible.

All Deaths are final.
2: Partners


She was up and armed before the intruder got with range of her camp. She had hidden herself in the only place she could, behind the giant tree that she had taken refuge in only a few hours prior. The intruder came the brush, and she saw him. A tall limber man with light grey hair hidden beneath a straw traveler’s hat. On his back he carried a plain looking longsword and heavy looking burlap bag.
“LUCKY!” The stranger cheered, running up next to the still burning campfire. “Gods smile down upon Kunio today!” The stranger, Kunio, rushed to the still burning campfire and began to empty his burlap bag.
Hinata waited until she was sure the intruder did not sense her presence before she took a step to remove herself from the place.
“You don’t have to leave so soon. Have some tea with me.” Hinata’s pale white eyes flashed open. Had he spotted her earlier? “Listen, you’re too tense. Anyone could hear your heart beating as loud as it is.”
“So how long have you been following me?” Hinata wasn’t much for confrontations, but the situation didn’t call for being skittish. She had to stay on her toes, but then again the stranger seemed okay. She’d watched him fix a tea kettle above the campfire and was sure that he posed no threat…
“Following you? Well I suppose you can say that.” Kunio gave her a hearty smile, though he could see her face behind the mask she was wearing. “Actually I’m looking for someone in particular.”
Hinata still approached the campfire cautiously, wary of any traps Kunio might’ve set. Her Byakugan was working overtime. She silently took a seat across from him, curious at what exactly this intruder wanted.
“Not going to take the mask off?” Kunio said, laughing surprisingly.
“Should I?” If anything Hinata was glad that she was wearing the fox shaped Anbu mask. It somehow boosted her self confidence knowing that no one would be able to see the expression behind the mask. It gave her the greatest security a shy person like her could ever want.
“No, you don’t have to, but its really creepy talking to a fox.” Kunio scratched the back of his head as he laughed heartedly. “But you’re a ninja so it makes sense that you’d hide your identity.”
Hinata stayed silent, for fear of given away too much information.
“So where you headed if you don’t mind me asking?” Again, Hinata stay silent, avoiding his question. “Well, um I’m headed to place where people like me can be free.”
“I thought you were looking for someone.”
“Oh, I am. I’m looking for the guy who’ll lead me there. He’s an old friend and he invited me to join him at this place.”
“And what kind’ve place would this be?”
“A place for Nukenin like us.”
“Like us?” Hinata was taken a back. How did he know she was a runaway ninja?
“Yeah, like us. Look, there’s no way a member of an Anbu squad is going to be hanging out in the woods all by their lonesome. You seemed to be hiding from something, or someone and it leads me to believe that you’re just like me. You’re trying to escape whatever fate has in store for you.”
At this, Hinata solemn pulled off her mask, allowing Kunio to gaze upon the young features of her face.
“Yahoo! A hot babe! Kunio’s lucky!” Hinata’s face turned bright red. “Oh, sorry, I was just happy to have a female companion instead of guy. You know it kinda gets boring with guys around you know?” Hinata continued to blush, and Kunio continued to talk. For some reason she felt at ease with Kunio, though she wished he was Naruto instead. She sat and had tea with him until the sun rose the next morning.

Akamaru lead the team to the abandoned cave. There were definite signs of someone camping there at least two days prior. They were definitely closing in on their target…though Sakura honestly did not wish to think of the young Hyuuga heir as a target.
“Will we be able to catch up with her? She’s not too far ahead is she?” Kurono was inexplicably worried. Sakura could perfectly understand his feelings. Not long ago, just as she and Naruto searched desperately for Sasuke, wanting to bring him back was the driving force behind her life for the last few years. And now this time, they certainly would not fail. And if things did come to a fight, there would be no way that anyone in the group would try to kill her. The Fifth knew better. This was purely a retrieval mission.
“Yeah, don’t worry. With Akamaru’s nose leading us we should catch up in no time.” Kiba flash a smile reminiscent of Lee. “Let’s move while we still have time.”

Kunio spotted the village before she did.
“Ah,” He raised his hand to shield his eyes from the noonday sun. “Seems we might actually have a chance to relax a bit.” He looked over his shoulder at his traveling companion, waiting for an answer. She meekly stared at him with those big white blank eyes of hers. “Ah come on buddy, you got nothing to worry about. If things get hairy then I’ll use my ultimate unstoppable ninjutsu to take care of whoever thinks they’re strong enough to mess with us!”
At that his companion smiled. Little did he know it was because he had suddenly reminded her of a certain someone whom she desperately wished she could see at this very moment.
The runaways entered the cozy village together without drawing much attention to themselves. Near the center of town was a small transient-inn, and the two weary travelers took refuge there, taking seats in the far back corner of the inn’s lower restaurant.
“Ohaiyo!” Chirped a greeting from a young red haired girl. “I’m Miaka I’ll be your server today.”
“Yo!” Kunio waved at the bubbly young waitress. “I’ll have a order of vegetable tempura, and …” He stared at his menu for a second. The looks he was giving gave the impression he was fully concentrating on his selection. “Combo number fifteen, and thirty seven.”
The eyes of the young waitress popped open for a brief second before casually turning to Kunio’s traveling companion.
“And you miss? What will you have?”
“Onigiri and green tea please.” The soft, wary voice responded.
“Coming right up.” Miaka, the waitress, skipped away, leaving the two travelers in silence.
“So, partner.” Kunio began.
“I-I’m not you’re partner…” Hinata interrupted. Her voice did not raise above a soft whisper, but it was just enough for Kunio to pause. “I’m not even sure why I’m going with you.”
“Ah, well that’s fine then chummy.” Kunio chuckled, though he was the only one who found the situation remotely humorous. “But let’s just make the best of our current situation eh? It’s not everyday people like us are able to get together and actually rest. Cause you know, days like today will be easy. Well, at least until me link up with my partner. After that…ooh yeah, freedom babe. No more running.”
Hinata wasn’t paying Kunio any attention. She quietly donned her Anbu mask, activated her kekkei genkai, searched the surrounding area for any signs of a Konoha hunter-nin, or the like. After she was confident there wasn’t any adherent danger nearby, she removed her mask, allowing a longing filled sigh escape her lips.
“Ah whats wrong partner don’t feel down.” Kunio smacked her hard on her shoulder from across the table. “You got Kunio at your side, cheer up, nothing’s going to go wrong while I’m around.” He let out a hearty laugh.
Hinata allowed herself to smile, thinking that maybe having an accomplice to watch out for her wouldn’t be so bad. But she still hardly knew the man and had to keep a respectful (read cautious) distance from him.
Maika brought their order not long after, and the duo ate in partial silence. Kunio tore through his order in record time, even ordering seconds as he waiting for his partner to finish her humble meal. By the time Kunio’s second order came, the tiny restaurant was packed with people. Traveler’s and workers on lunch break with their comrades. The place was starting to get too crowded for Hinata’s tastes. Kunio seemingly read his partners mind and raised his hand for the waitress to pay for food and a room for the night.
While waiting for their tab to be brought to them, Hinata allowed her mind to wander freely. Memories of her village and loved ones flashed in her mind. Her heart warmed at the thought of being able to see everyone again, then quickly sadden when she realized that it wouldn’t be simply that easy. By running away she had essentially signed her own death warrant, however if what Kunio had said was true, and there was a safe haven for runaway’s like her, then maybe traveling with him would work itself out somehow. Besides, she had a very good reason to not return to Konoha. Well, two very good reasons…
“Hands off!” Maika’s cry tore through the tiny restaurant, snatching Hinata free from her dream world. The young waitress was trapped between two scary looking thugs. Each thug was very well muscled, for their size. The one blocking Hinata’s view of the waitress was about six foot two, wore a red cloth vest with a pair of black leggings with a giant dagger tucked away under his belt.
Hinata rose to her feet without a word, dropping a few coins on the table as she made her way towards the scene. Surprisingly Kunio threw his arm in her way, stopping her from moving any further.
“It’s best to not get involved. Don’t want to be drawing any unwanted attention to ourselves right?” Kunio gave her a wink, but the look on his face was serious. Hinata knew he was right, keep a lower profile than normal would increase her chances of escaping whoever was trying to trail them by at least eighty percent. But then again, she had spent most of her life watching a certain someone, and although she had very little contact with him, some of his personality traits had nonetheless rubbed off on her.
“I can’t stand by while injustice happens.” She slid the fox-shaped mask over her face. “That’s my way of the ninja.” She pushed past Kunio’s arm, mustering up enough courage as she could, partially imagining that she, was him instead of the cowardly, useless heir to the Hyuuga clan.
“Oh come on babe, you’ll have a great time if you hang out with us.”
“I-I don’t think she wants that.” Hinata’s voice again was nothing above a whisper, but made the two thugs stop their harassment of the waitress.
“Oh, and who are you kid?” The first thug leaned his face into Hinata’s mask, and luckily for her, he could not see the nervous look on her face.
“No one special.” She replied.
“Damn right,” The thug wiped a meaty hand across his face. “Now you really don’t know who you’re messing with, since I haven’t seen anyone around here dumb enough to walk around here with a child’s mask on their face, I’ll forgive this intrusion on my business. No you go run along and go chase a ball or something. Grown ups are talking here.”
“I…” She began, but the thug pointed a huge finger into her face.
“Hey, kid I thought I told you to get lost.” Hinata stood her ground, her emotions hidden behind the mask covering her face. When the thug realized the masked brat wasn’t going to leave him alone he drew the giant dagger from his belt and pointed it at her neck. “Listen brat I’ll give you till the count of three before I put this here dagger into that thick skull of yours.”
Hinata didn’t move.
“One,” The giant began to count. His partner stepped around the waitress and behind Hinata, his knife drawn and ready to assist his fellow thug if need be. “Two!”
She activated her Byakugan, and the color of the world fading away and melting into a pale white. She could see his chakra circulating through out his body.
“THREE!” The thug’s arm came down faster than she had expected. However his movement was still slow and predictable. She ducked under his arm, using her right arm to parry his strike, she lightly pressed her index finger to the chakra point just under his armpit. She then snaked around the giants body, and planted a hard knife-hand chop to the back of his neck. He fell to the ground without making a single noise.
“Aniki!” The second thug moved to attack, but was suddenly stopped by the sword being pressed against his neck.
“I don’t think so son.” Kunio spoke grimly. “I think you should just peel your partner there off the floor and go home.” Kunio pressed the sharp end of his blade harder against the thug’s neck as if enforcing his point.
“The Metaru sento-teki won’t forget, nor forgive this.” The thug warned as he lifted his unconscious comrade up onto his giant shoulders.
“Yeah, but I’ll be long gone before you can get revenge, so just let it go.” Kunio sheathed his sword, watching the thug hurry away.
“Nice technique.” Kunio said, slapping his partner hard on her shoulder.
“Thanks,” Hinata rubbed her shoulder. Turning to the rescued waitress she removed her Anbu mask. “Thanks for the meal.”
“Please, my god you must stay.” Maika’s face was unusually panic instead of relieved as most victims usually were. “They’ll be back, and they’ll probably bring more of their goons here. I’ll loose my job!”
“Well, then I guess we gotta go then.” Kunio said, placing his straw travelers hat over his head.
“Leave? But…but…” Maika began to protest.
“Don’t worry kid.” Kunio placed a hand on her head and smiled. “It’s better to meet the Army head on, than to wait for a counter attack.” He calmly walked out into the dusty streets of the small village, pausing briefly to glance over his shoulder.
“You’re not gonna let ol Kunio here clean up the mess you made are you?” He said jokingly to his partner, then took off in the direction the two thugs had run off.
“Sorry for the mess.” Hinata turned and bowed to Miaka, and then hurried off after her partner.