TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Dreams by midnight

[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: This is my first fic... published that is. Hope you love it as much as I do... please bring your own tissues when the other chapters are uploaded. ^ ^;

Disclaimer: Naruto and Co. are not mine.... damnation.


++++++ time change (past/present)
------------ scene change
xxxxxxx begining/end chapter
October 8th

The battles ferocious sights and sounds would never escape my memory. Open graves, sick beds wherever you could find them. Most of the injured were unattended, and if they were looked after, they would just bring themselves back out to the battlefield when suitured. Our Hokage for three years hasn't slept more than 24 hours of the 186 we've been out here.

His dedication and love for the village and allies is what fuels him. Among other things. Gaara-sama himself had confided in me that even he's getting exhausted. Yet, I don't think Naruto knows just how bad this war is. To date, this war is the largest, longest lasting battle ever known in Shinobi history. Sasuke must've been able to get ahold of the missing-nin's and more allies.



October 9th

Naruto-sama is trying to get ahold of Sasuke so they can work out an agreement between the two for a one on one battle.

I'm still concerned that he really isn't Sasuke. Sakura-san has told me about Orochimaru's ability to change bodies. Regardless, I'm not sure Naruto can win agianst him. Then again, our Hokage is the number one ninja at surprising people.


October 9th, late Evening

It's confirmed, Naruto-sama is facing off with Sasuke near the boarder of Fire Country tomorrow. Strange how Naruto seemed depressed, something must be up. They've agreed to meet at noon.

P.S. It's near a waterfall, I'm hesitant on my own ability to fight on water.

*.*.*.*


Rain poured down relentlessly, as if the heavens themselves were weaping the loss of the fighters over the week. Two people stood on eather side of the river before it dropped to the exposed rocks below. Two statues, the Shodaime and Nidaime stand facing eachother with the sign for chakra meeting at their hearts. A historical place for historical times. The leader of Fire country and the leader of Sound country stand facing eachother. Arms dropped at their sides, a non-threatening stance. No weapons drawn, infact Naruto didn't appear to have any on him. Not strange concidering Naruto was pro-efficient with hand to hand combat. The only strange thing was, Sasuke didn't have any either. A person who has done nothing but train with the metal tools. Both armies stand against eachother. Each certain his leader would conquer, and the opposing land and enemies will be under their control.

Blue eyes search for the long gone black irises. Those eyes, as deep and dark as the wearers soul, appeared sunflower yellow with the whites substituted for black. A permenant transformation not even the Fourth could seal. Sasuke's hair sat high on his head, spiking and drooping to the middle of his back. Naruto with his hair in a mullet fashion, which seemed to fit him, was tied low on his back. Sasuke stood only a few inches taller, while Naruto had the muscle to cover his average height.

"Naruto-kun." Sasuke drawled out in his master's style. "What took you so long to wish for this fight? I thought I knew you better than that."

Sasuke growled out, hoping to get a rise out of the obviously stoic Kage. The traitor's eyebrows fuddled together. Only for a moment. Then, a sickening grin:

"Why, I thought you would have shown up alone. Like the way you always were. Infact, I'm suprised they let a demon like you take the Hokage's seat."

Still, nothing out of the young adult.

A stray wind picked up as the voices of crickets and birds stopped. For fear of causing a spark to the high friction being created off of the two's chakra signitures. The byakuugan users were cautioned to keep their genki kekkei de-activated while the two engaged each other. Problem was, there was no physical fighting. Only staring each other down and throwing their presence towards the other person. Naruto's calm face against Sasuke's contorted grin. One moment they were standing right infront of their right hand man and secretary, the next, a huge splash caused by nothing. But the two were gone.

Lightning could be heard in the distance, heavier clouds rolled in uncharacteristically. Both parties knew that who ever lost, would no longer be in physical existance. Their bodies would be decimated, destroyed, pulverized into nothing. The victor will rightfully be able to brag and be cocky, because it's the Champion, against The Prodigy.

The battle of the century, had begun.

*****

Sasuke woke up with a start. His chambers were in a state of horror. If only his mother would have taught him to clean up more often. Life in Konoha was sure slow. Even after coming back. Things really were different. Quiet. He should go visit Naruto, he always could cheer him up, he was able to handle the day better after visiting his old friend. After all, Naruto survived through the wispers and glares. Now they walk it together.

---

Sasuke made it to his blond companions apartment building without being looked at strangely. Infact, someone actually asked how he had been holding up. He thought it was a strange question but he answered it like he did the other times.

"I'm fine, I'm going to go train with Naruto now." Then that look. He get's that everytime he mentions Naruto's name. Disdain.

He arrived at flat number 25. He jiggled the door handle and found that it was locked. No problem, the dobe was probably sleeping. He'd been sleeping in later and later these days. Maybe it was because he resigned his Hokage seat.

After a few simple jutsu manuvers Sasuke was in. The livingroom was still bare. Only the couch and tv that Sasuke had bought for him was there. The dry stock of food was untouched, but of course, the man doesn't eat anything but ramen. And he had treated him to a bowl or two at Ichiraku a couple days ago.

Shrugging his shoulders, Sasuke made it down the hall to Naruto's bedroom. The room had been reletively untouched, except for the clothes that had been picked up and were now thrown everywhere. He rolled his eyes and a lopsided grin appeared on his face.

"Oi, Dobe." He yelled, "Wake up, I wanna train."

Nothing, he must've been tired from last night. All that drinking must have gotten to him. They were at an age where even the fitest of ninja begin to expire.

The sheets rollled and moaned something unintelligable.

"C'mon baka, I don't want to spend the whole day in your stinky room trying to get you to come out and train. Hurry up."

"That's because you don't clean it for me anymore. Sakura stopped coming by months ago." Naruto sat up and stretched. "Besides, someone has to take care of the retired Hokage."

Sasuke rolled his eyes again and picked up a clean looking shirt and threw it at his best friends head only to miss.

"Hurry up and I'll pay for brunch. It's still early." With that, Sasuke left the bedroom for Naruto to get clean.

Half an hour later Naruto came barraling out of his room. Dressed in a low set of black cargo pants and a sleeveless black T. His attair seemed to be black nowadays.

Sasuke looked at him and got up from his chair and empty cup of tea.

"Took you long enough, dobe." Sasuke said in a low manner trying to let Naruto know everything he wanted to say through those words.

"I was having troubles with the zipper. " Naruto lied. Sasuke didn't really care if Naruto took forever to come out. Thing is, he'd wait three eternities and beyond for his friend. Afterall, the blond waited for him.

----

The two sat breathless against each other. Gasping for air and waiting for their bodies to feel better to stand up again. Both their faces were red from the droping temperatures affect on their bodies tempurature system. The cold air feeling as a relief to their too-hot faces.

They sat there for the whole afternoon. Just stairing up in the sky, watching through the trees of the birds and other creatures that passed their view. A pleasent conversation for a pleasent time.

"Sasuke?" Naruto asked silently. The trees wispered to them their secrets, their limbs creaking and rubbing agianst each other. A sound that Sasuke will always enjoy.

"Ne, are you glad you came back?"

Sasuke's eyes tore open, wondering where that came from. He had thought that they agreed they wouldn't be talking about those times anymore. It had been about three years in another week since the huge battle.

He took his time answering Naruto's question, besides, he asked it everyday. Everyday it was the same answer.

"Hai."

"You like me, don't you?"

"Always have."

"So why did you fight me all those years?" Naruto turned to face Sasuke.

The dark haired man stared down into his hands. Searching for the right answer to this one. The one that he never seemed to know. Sasuke stood up and began walking towards town.

"Your hungry aren't you?" He turned around. "C'mon, I'll buy you lunch before your missions or whatever you do these days."

A smile.

*****

The water errupted with a roar. Sakura took a step back to avoid the larger spray of water. She knew that Naruto was strong, but not this strong. As the water came crashing down on the two forms, everyone could see that their dominant fist was caught midair. Both had tried to puch eachother, and both had caught the other.

"You said you thought you knew me better than 'that'. Well Sasuke your wrong." their fists were released and they each took a leap back to face eachother again. This time, in their preferred stance. Naruto took a long sigh before leaping toward his opponent. "YOU NEVER KNEW ME AT ALL!!"

****

Sasuke woke up again, this time sweating with unearened exhaustion. It must've only been midnight and his nightmares were consuming him again. He rubbed his face and sat there thinking of who would have all the answers for him at this time of night. Shikamaru would be asleep and too dangerous to wake up. Neji, the new Hokage, was purely out of the question. Sakura was with Lee, and he didn't want to chance walking in on their private lives. It didn't take him any longer than it did for him to create his summoning no jutsu. One name passed through his mind before he was out the door.

Naruto.

---

Sasuke banged on the door repeatedly on flat number 25. That damn dobe wasn't answering his door anymore. He leaped ontop of the roof and ran to Naruto's window. There, he snuck in and proceeded to wake up his blond companion.

"Naruto, Naruto wake up!" the cursed man spoke with urgency. Slowly Naruto sat up from his sheets wearing the same black outfit as yesterday's training session.

"Whuss tha' matter Sasu..." The blond mullet of a man asked his waker.

Naruto took the time to look at his friend before really getting concerned. Sasuke was wearing nothing but his boxers and a dark grey T-shirt, which appeared to be thouroughly soaked with persperation. His long hair was in a rat's nest while his bangs were stuck to his face. Sasuke's usually well hidden summoning tattoo was uncovered in the dying day.

"What happened to you Sasuke?" He asked just as urgently while pulling back the covers and inviting his friend to sit on the bed.

"It was the dreams again." Sasuke's readless black eyes looked squarely into the dialated blue. "It's the war. I can't get it outta my head. It's like the memories are stuck there and I can't get them out."

Naruto considered this for a moment. He's had nightmares before but nothing that would go away. Sasuke sat down on Naruto's bed exhausted. He had no idea that confessing that he still thinks about the war would be this hard. Because, there had been an unspoken law that when Sasuke came back, no one would speak of the war again.

"Why don't you go see Neji?" Naruto asked obliviously.

"WHAT? And have me committed are you insane?" Sasuke yelled rightously. Eversince he woke up from blood loss on that day, Neji had never treated him the same. Of course, it was expected but this was different.

"Okay okay, bad idea." Naruto bit his lip childishly, looking down and around, trying to avoid eye contact. After a moment he opened up the covers. "You can stay here untill you can talk to Sakura or 'Maru in the morning."

Sasuke considered his options. It was either going back to his lonely apartment, or spending the night in another man's bed. Sasuke hesitated and took a step to the open window.

"Nah, that's okay. I'll just go back home." Just as Sasuke was ready to jump out the window to swing up on the roof and head back to his house. Naruto interrupted.

"Well," Naruto paused to wait and see if Sasuke would listen. "maybe it's because, you haven't said your appologies to everyone yet. There's still a coupla people you haven't talked to. It might be just guilt."

Sasuke relaxed as Naruto offered his wisdom.

"Don't worry about it. Okay?" With that, Sasuke was out the window and hoping on moon slicked roof tiles to his apartment.

end chap 1
xxxxxxxxxxxx