TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Saya of the Sand by mst88

[Reviews - 9]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Please bare with me if this seems like a slow start to the story
Oh shit, if I’m late she will kill me! Saya’s mind warned, her sandaled feet beat against the dusty ground as she ran in the direction she hoped was civilization. Tamari had warned her not to wander to far from the inn they were staying at but she had done just that, the curiosity to finally see the village she had heard so much about all her life was to much of a draw. She did have to admit that the Hidden Leaf Village was aptly named in her opinion.

“Too many damned trees!” Saya yelled to nobody but herself, out of pure frustration, it seemed like she had wandered around in the woods that were never ending, for hours. At least Saya knew that she was still within the walled perimeter of the village. When the thicket she had been meandering through showed a break in the tree line, Saya instantly headed towards the open field that lay before her, giving a shout of elation. Never in her life had she been so happy to see the white cloud streaked blue sky.

Living in the Land of Wind, there were no problems of not being able to see the sky when out. No matter how high the sand dunes and cliffs soared, the sky was always there. The only thing to obliterate the blue overhead were the sandstorms and you were taught at a young age not to leave your village if there was a hint of them.

Off in the distance, adding to Saya’s joy, she could make out the great stone profiles of the Hokage faces. Once she hit the populous, she would just ask for directions to the inn. Her beige jonin outfit, which wasn’t much different from the Hidden Leafs and the hourglass etching on her metal forehead protector, gave her away as not being from the village. Temari had also warned her to be careful since the failed Sound and Sand invasion was still fresh in the minds of some of these people.

In other words, Saya needed to stay out of trouble. The two were there to help with the planning for the next Chunin exams, a simple peaceful (aka boring) mission. As Saya’s feet jumped up onto a large rock, she used the momentum of her running and a burst of chakra from her feet to get a better view of where she was going; it looked like the village was on the other side of the woods ahead of her.

“Hell yes civilization!” She shouted, doing a front flip off the rock. As her head came around she realized a darkly dressed figure had been lounging with a huge white mass against the large rock.

“What the hell?” A sleepy voice questioned as the figure sat up.

“Sorry!” Saya called over her shoulder as her feet hit the green grass, her stride never faltering as she continued into the trees.

*****************

Running slender fingers threw her windblown auburn hair to put it into some semblance of order, Saya quickly walked along the street with the throng of people that were the citizens of the Hidden Leaf. A person walking in the street would have to be blind not to notice the sand Shinobi that stuck out, her fawn colored uniform did not blend in with the brighter colors of the Leaf. It was convenient that the uniforms of the Shinobi belonging to the village were easy to spot, either the dark blue or the drab green.

Seeing such a blue clothed Shinobi, lounging against the side of a business, a matching blue bandana covering his head, Saya approached confidently.

“Hey, Leaf Shinobi I need your help.” Saya called loudly, the Shinobi in question lifted his head revealing shoulder length brown hair, as his brown eyes searched the sea of people, before his gaze landed on Saya’s beckoning form.

His lips started to curl into a smile around what looked like a stick between them, until Saya noticed his eyes glance up at her forehead, instantly the corners turned down before any emotion disappeared altogether.

Saya was beginning to understand what Temari had meant about running into possible hostilities. Obviously, this Shinobi had been around during the invasion almost three years before, it wasn’t as if she had participated in it or even known it was going to happen. Saya had already been promoted a Chunin during the previous exams and was stationed on the border of the Wind County and Land of Earth.

“What can I do for someone from the Sand?” The man asked his tone might have been welcoming but his body language went from relaxed to formal. “You aren’t lost by chance?”

Placing her hands on her curvy hips, something her uniform couldn’t hide, not that Saya wanted it to either, she gave the fellow Jonin a surprised look. “How did you know that? I’m actually looking for the inn that is near a tea shop, you wouldn’t happen to know of it would you?”

Even thou the Jonin still seemed stiff he let a smile appear. “It happens with visitors to the village all the time.” His ability to talk clearly with the what Saya could now tell was a silver senbon amazed her, causing her to stare at his mouth. “Don’t know of an inn near a tea shop, but there is one across the street from a barbeque, could that be the inn you are staying at?”

Saya gave the Jonin a blank look, she had no idea. Her quandary must have been evident on her face since his smile widened.

“Why don’t I escort you to the inn, that way if it isn’t the correct one, we can try another?” Motioning for her to follow with a jerk of his head, the Jonin shoved his hands in the pockets of his dark blue pants, his posture becoming relaxed as was their pace. Saya could not help but slow down and match it, the Shinobi of the leaf were laidback that was for sure.

As they walked along one of the streets, people called and waved to the Jonin that walked at Saya’s side, he returned the greetings with a nodded, a grin or verbally depending on the age and gender. Saya now understood way Temari did not hesitate to visit the Leaf whenever it was needed, if this Shinobi was any indication of how good-looking their former foes were, Saya was glad for the peace between them.

Too late Saya realized that the man whose profile she had been gazing up at was now looking back down at her, an amused express adorning his face. “I asked what your name was and if this was your first time in the Leaf?”

Saya wasn’t one to blush but even so, she suddenly found the dirt street they were walking along very interesting. “Yes this is my first visit and my name is Saya.”

“Well Saya of the Sand, I’m Genma and I welcome you to the Hidden Leaf Village.”

The faint smell of barbeque appeared on the breeze, clueing Saya in that they were getting close to where she hoped the inn was at, not that she wasn’t enjoying Genma’s company, quite the opposite. Once she divulged that she was at the Hidden Leaf to begin the planning for the next Chunin examines, Genma had confirmed Saya’s suspicions that he was in fact a fellow Jonin.

“So is anything familiar Saya?” Genma asked as they stopped in an intersection, the number of people seemed just as high on this street as the one they had just come from.

Do these people not have homes?

The smell of barbeque from the restaurant at the corner was making Saya hungry since she had left after dawn broke for her exploration. As she scanned the buildings, the crowd of people parted for just a second and her eyes found a pair of narrowed teal ones famed by blond bangs and a black clothed forehead protector. Temari’s hands were crossed over a long black dress.

“Yeah, it’s looking very familiar Genma.” Saya gave a heavy sigh, Temari did not look happy at all.

Seeing the very familiar kunoichi, Genma clicked his tongue in understanding.

“Please tell me she wasn’t causing any trouble?” Tamari asked in a flat tone, hands moving to her hips as if expecting bad news. “You weren’t were you Saya?”

Saya thought she heard a chuckle coming from Genma’s direction, is this guy serious. “No Temari, I was not causing any trouble, as promised. I‘m not some fresh faced Genin.” Of course confessing the real reason she was late would certainly make her look just like one.

Who the hell gets lost in a village because of the trees? The best course of action was to stay quiet --

“Saya wasn’t causing any problems Temari, she just lost her way. I was just escorting her to the correct inn.”

Somebody sink a kunai into my chest please!

Saya watched as Tamari’s thin blond eyebrows arched before a glare appeared to draw them back down. The look clearly screamed that they would talk about how she got lost when she was ordered to stay close to the inn, later, which was interpreted to, as soon as they were alone.

“Hey Temari, are you both ready to head to the Hokages office?” A male voice asked, drawing three sets of eyes to the street running in front of the barbeque restaurant.

“Hey Shikamaru, you’re up early.” Genma greeted a black outfitted, pony tailed man with a friendly smile.

Hearing the familiar name, Saya glanced at Temari with her own arched eyebrow, so this was the slacker genius she had heard about from her friend. Saya could easily see why Temari’s face would flush whenever she talked about one Shikamaru Nara.

Temari gave Saya a death glare that she happily returned; giving the woman her own look, oh yes, they would talk about this later.

“If you two have an appointment with the Hokage then you don’t want keep her waiting.” Genma seemed to be giving them a warning as he gave a small wave. “Hey Saya,” She turned to look at the grinning man, the senbon now being held in between his fingers as he walked backwards away from them. “Try not to get lost again or if you do just give me a holler.” Giving a wink, he was soon lost in the crowd of people.

“Genma is right; we don’t want to keep the Hokage waiting, man that would be a drag if she got pissed this early.” Shikamaru motioned down the street that was to lead them to the leader of the most powerful village of the five nations.
Chapter end notes: Can I just say I am scared to read the final chap of the manga, I've heard things, frightening things about some old/new characters.