TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Even Flowers Have Thorns by NinjaRace

[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: All of your support spurs me to create bigger better stores, thank you for all your reviews.
Chapter 1-The Man Who Sees Darkness

The sky split open, explosions tremored the ground knocking Mai into a destroyed edifice. “Out of breath and out of luck, how the hell did I get into this mess” Mai vaulted herself shockingly upright only to view the ruinous world condemned.
Fiery ash rained from the red sky. Bodies of heroes, innocent children and criminals alike were converged in the same trash heap. Among them, Naruto the hero of the hidden leaf, his will of fire distinguished by a great evil.

“I can’t stall them for much longer!” screamed Shikamaru, his veins gorged in agony. There was one thousand ninja, and ferocious beast thwarted by the shadow possession jutsu.
Ino answered his cry for help “Mind wave Jutsu!” rocks, boulders, ash, a hurricane of debris.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Yay! I can't believe I get to meet my squad leader today!” Mai thought to herself, tying her soft pink headband around her waist.

Even she couldn’t bottle the joy of becoming a Genin, for a few seconds it was like the past didn't matter. She dashed out the door jumping between rooftops; the sky was a majesty of blue.

Touching ground she bolted leaving a trail of dust. She was almost there, the feeling of the morning wind against her visage was just the best. Suddenly it all went black like a lightning bolt flashed before her eyes, pain welled in her forehead.

Ino stood by a tree, foot outstretched“Are you OK?” she said.

No she was not OK but she certainly wasn’t going to let Ino win “just fine” she shot back with a kindled glare in her eyes.

Ino stood tall and beautiful the type of female that all others hoped to aspire to. Her golden hair had a single wisp bobbing in front of her eyes; the rest was pulled back neatly forming a waterfall of hair in the back.

A blue bird drifted down landing on one of the many green trees that surrounded the group. It seemed particularly interested in Mai, cocking its head to the side it let out a weak chirp as if to say hi.

Mai was oblivious to his greeting she was too busy sinking in her own emotions; there was so much insecurity and fear. She felt that she might slink down on a tree or crawl into a nearby hole until she felt better. But if she did run away at this point she certainly would not become an excellent ninja, her fate would be sealed as a coward. The stress made her itchy.

“Scratchy-Scratchy Mai” Ino teased, a hand gently held near her face. Shikamaru was sitting nearby watching the show; He had a rough green vest and jet black hair.

To think I got stuck with two girls, how am I ever going to get a break from their mood swings? The more he thought about it the more he frowned.

It’s going to be such a drag if that Mai girl, with all her clumsiness gets the whole squad killed, his head snapped to the right, his train of thought ripped off the tracks by a loud noise.

There was a man existing amongst the smoke, the more it cleared the more fear choked them. A man tall and white skinned like he had never been touched by the ever reaching sun, his hair was darker than the most secluded shadow and just as fleeting.

A black coat the buttons undone, hung from his tall muscular body, but perhaps it was most peculiar, his eyes, both shut like a locked box with a scar running through them both.

“Would you look at this guy” Said Shikamaru with a hint of superiority.

“Got his own style and everything” there was no denying his coolness.

“You must be Shikamaru” rumbled a voice so deep it almost knocked Shikamaru off his tree stump.

“I believe there was to be two young female ninja here as well.” His head rotated like an electronic scanner. Mai was caught red-handed; her finger pushing upward on Ino’s nose and her foot rammed up against Ino’s diaphragm. Drool breached the side of Ino’s mouth as she coughed sheepishly.

Mai assumed a position like a soldier lining up in front of a general. Ino free to wander just drifted up to this shady character, circling him like an innocent vulture.

He completely kept his cool, motioning for them all to take a seat.
“You’ll answer to me from now on, that is all” He turned to leave, his weight shifted and his feet treaded lightly over the dust.

Ino stood up quickly, eyes wide and arms waving frantically “Wait that’s it!?”

He said nothing, he didn’t even flinch. Mai sat down touting a pouty, let-down face.

“Hey buddy shouldn’t we at least get to know each other! I mean, a Jounin is supposed to-“ said Shikamaru.

He was talking to the air; a man was no longer standing there. Shikamaru jammed his hands in his pocket roughly and looked down frustrated. Mai stayed on the bench like a lost puppy waiting for its master. A soft hand warmed Shikamaru’s neck

“Hey, it’s OK, we don’t need a squad leader to get to know one another.” Ino circled around so he could get a better look, arms gently crossed behind her back, cheeks lightly painted the color of red apples. Shikamaru grunted, his eyes averting from the stunning girl.

Mai walked up to the others taking a deep breath “I’m Mai, and I’m gonna surpass all of you” the tiny words barely reached their ears.

“Don’t mind her” said Ino stroking Shikamaru’s hair. She was grinning as she thought ,this guys worth something, if I could seduce the guy in my squad Mai will be all alone.

He was unfazed, he casually replied to Mai “nice to know you’re motivated, pretty much the opposite of me” Mai just shrunk back down, suddenly feeling the burden of being the center of attention.

Ino crossed her snow white arms “I’ll show everybody that even a cutie like me can get respect.”

Shikamaru pretended to cough and muttered “dreamer” with a playful grin.

He held his arms out and shrugged “ girls should be traditional and submissive, anything else just seems out of place” his comment was followed by a brief silence, broken by the sound of crackling knuckles. His tortured scream rung out as the girl had some playtime.

Strongly the wind blew, shaking trees, setting leaves free to travel. There was someone watching them.

His coat moved with the breath of air, his eyes still hiding beneath his scarred eyelids. He saw darkness yes, but he also saw light. A peculiar occurrence, a smile on his face, and that was all.
Chapter end notes: Buckle your seatbelt, the ride is just beginning!