You Found Me by inuyashas_only_1
Summary:

(Takes place in present day.) Fraternal twins Naruto and Sakura are new to Konoha High, but already they're fitting in without problems.

Well, maybe a few problems.

There's Sasuke, Naruto's chemistry partner. Naruto absolutely despises this guy...but why is it that whenever Sasuke gets near, his heart starts pounding?

Sakura's got some problems of her own. Her assistant teacher, Kenshin Arisaka, is acting strangely around her... almost as if he's in love with her. Sakura thinks this is absolutely ridiculous, but the thought is at the back of her mind...and it's bugging the heck out of her. Will Kenshin's quiet affections melt her heart?

A possible queer. A possible lolita.

The fun's just getting started.


Categories: Alternate Universe & Crossovers > High School Fics, Het Romance > Fluff, General Fiction > Naruto Shippuuden, Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance > Top Pairings > Sasuke and Naruto Characters: All
Genres: Romance
Warnings: OOC, Yaoi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 45955 Read: 49293 Published: 05/05/09 Updated: 18/07/09
Story Notes:

Hi! It's me...

Okay, this is my first yaoi. I'm not really a yaoi fan, to tell you the truth: I'm a die-hard NaruSaku fan. But don't prejedge me, wise guys-- I'm up for the challenge!

The only yaoi pairingĀ I like is KuroFai from "Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle." Great pairing. Canon, actually, and my One True Pairing!!!!!! Besides Sakura and Syaoran. Does anyone else like Tsubasa?

Okay, each chapter will be written in a different character's point of view. It will most likely alternate between Naruto and Sakura.

I think that's it... oh yeah. Criticism is appreciated, as is compliments. Suggestions are always taken seriously. Also, I'm working harder on adding more detail.

Thnks, everyone!!!!!

1. New Students (Wow, what a boring title...) by inuyashas_only_1

2. The Arisaka Fan Club by inuyashas_only_1

3. Fair by inuyashas_only_1

4. What I've Done by inuyashas_only_1

5. One Glass of Wine by inuyashas_only_1

6. Naruto's Guilt by inuyashas_only_1

7. Tripping, Breaking Your Nose, and Wondering What Happened by inuyashas_only_1

8. Naruto and Sasuke by inuyashas_only_1

9. Truth by inuyashas_only_1

10. The Warmth That Slipped From His Palm (aka Every Second Counts When I Am With You) by inuyashas_only_1

11. Just Her Teacher by inuyashas_only_1

12. Phone Call by inuyashas_only_1

13. Snow Cones and Stalkers by inuyashas_only_1

14. Sasuke, the Strategist by inuyashas_only_1

15. I Love Her by inuyashas_only_1

16. The Dress by inuyashas_only_1

17. It Gives Me Thrills to Wind You Up. by inuyashas_only_1

18. To Leave Behind, or to Be Left Behind by inuyashas_only_1

19. Closer Than Being Next to Me... by inuyashas_only_1

20. Throughly On Top of the World by inuyashas_only_1

21. She Turns Me Inside-Out by inuyashas_only_1

22. You're The Only Reason by inuyashas_only_1

23. Wonderful Tonight by inuyashas_only_1

24. Heaven by inuyashas_only_1

25. Kenshin by inuyashas_only_1

26. I'm Sorry by inuyashas_only_1

27. Only Sasuke by inuyashas_only_1

28. Soulmates by inuyashas_only_1

29. Epilogue by inuyashas_only_1

New Students (Wow, what a boring title...) by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Read and Review!!!!!!

 

NARUTO  

I disliked it already.

 

It was ridiculously green. I knew that Konoha had a lot of forests, but I never expected this many.

 

My twin sister, Sakura, was asleep, her head on my shoulder and her arm tucked in mine. We’d always had a close relationship—but maybe that was typical of twins. Her breathing was shallow but steady, and I gently squeezed her hand, putting my arm around her shoulders.

 

I looked out the car window again, staring at the passing landscape. I knew that Sakura would like it, no matter how much I didn’t. I preferred the urban landscape of our old home, but I knew she would appreciate all the trees around the city of Konoha.

 

I sighed. I thought it was senseless to switch schools during the third quarter, but our parents had “urgent business” that required them to move immediately. They were always being relocated by their company. Sakura and I were used to it by now, but it was getting old. However, our parents promised that we would not be moving again until we finished high school.

 

Which would be here at Konoha public high.

 

That was a little less than three years away—I was a sophomore right now. I guess it was better than moving again once I had made friends here, but I wasn’t too fond of the town already. This situation could go either way for me.

 

Sakura stirred. I looked down at her. “Awake, sleepyhead?” I asked her quietly.

 

She nodded drowsily. “Are we there yet?”

 

“Yeah, but it’ll take a little longer to get to the house,” I answered. “Right, Iruka?”

 

“Yes,” said our driver, Iruka.

 

Sakura sighed. “In that case,” she said, and snuggled up against me again. “I’m going back to sleep. You’re warm, Naruto.”

 

“You’re too warm, Sis,” I complained, though I didn’t really mind.

 

“Just roll down the window, idiot…” she said before drifting off to sleep. I could feel her settle against me as she snoozed.

 

I commenced looking out the window. Tomorrow, we’d be starting at Konoha High. I thought that starting tomorrow was dumb too, seeing as how today was Thursday. But Sakura could look at it logically: it gave us a day to get used to the school, then a weekend to explore the town. I guess that made sense.

 

Knowing Sakura, she would make friends right away. She was charismatic, smart, and made friends easily. She would probably find a boyfriend in no time, too.

 That brought me back to something that she’d said. “Naruto, you’re almost sixteen and you’ve shown no interest in girls. Here’s your chance to start fresh! Get a girlfriend—I shouldn’t be the only girl in your life.” 

“Maybe I’d prefer that,” I said under my breath. I couldn’t really think of girls romantically. If they weren’t friends, they were nothing—not romantic interests of any sort. Girls terrified me. They expect so much of guys, think that everyone has to be able to read their minds and emotions, and go through moods like sticks of gum-- way too fast.

 

“Here we are,” said Iruka, pulling into a driveway. I stared at the house. It was gorgeous, with a spacious lawn, a fountain, and a large balcony in the front.

 

“Wow, Mom and Dad really scored with this one…” I said, opening the car door. I pulled my sister onto my back, her arms draping over my shoulders and her head against my neck. Stepping out into the warm spring air, I stared at the house. The sun was hitting it just right, and it looked beautiful.

 

“Wow,” murmured Sakura’s voice. She must’ve woken up.

 

“Seriously,” I agreed. “Let’s go inside. Mom and Dad went ahead and set everything up ahead of time.”

 

I carried her on my back into the house, setting her down gently. Everything was really nice: the leather furniture, the oriental rugs, the marble tables and wrought iron chairs…

 

“It’s very stylish,” Sakura observed. “I like it.”

 

“Yeah. It’s not half bad,” I agreed. “Not half bad at all.”

  

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

 

“Naruto, that’s not flying with me.”

 

“Oooh, but I’m so sick,” I moaned, pulling the covers up to my face.

 

Sakura glared at me. “Naruto. Uzumaki. You. Are. Going. To. Be. Late!”

 

I sighed. “Pleeeeeeeease, Sakura? Just for today? Please let me skip today…I don’t wanna go to school…”

 

“How old are you? Ten? Get up, Naruto!” Sakura grabbed my ankles and yanked. I flew from the bed and hit the floor, yelping.

 

“Sakura!” I cried. “You’re so mean to me but I’m so good to you!”

 

“You should be thanking me! I’m saving your butt here,” she almost growled.

 

I glared at my sister, pouting. She was dressed wonderfully, I noticed: a simple green tunic over a pair of light colored jeans.

 

“Narutooooooooo,” she said, and I could hear the severe annoyance creeping into her voice. I knew one thing for sure: I could not mess with my sister in the morning. She became the demon lord when she woke up.

 

“I’m up, I’m up!” I cried, saving myself from a black eye.

 

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

 

The first class Sakura and I had was like any other when we went to a new school—we were bombarded with questions.

 

“You’re twins?! You look so different!”

 

“Yeah,” I said, putting my hand behind my neck. “Um, we’re fraternal. But I suppose you guessed that…”

 

“Sakura, you’re so cute—can I have your number?”

 

“Um, I think I’d like to get used to things before I start going out or anything,” said Sakura awkwardly, smiling.

 

“Naruto, what’s your schedule?”

 

“Uh, first period math, second history, third Spanish, fourth gym, fifth chemistry, sixth literature and seventh art,” I said.

 

“And your schedule, Sakura?”

 

“Um, first period math, second art, third health, fourth biology, fifth history, sixth Spanish, and seventh literature,” Sakura replied, looking at her schedule.

 

And on and on like that. I was exhausted within the first ten minutes.

 

Finally, class started. I wasn’t too far behind, but I did have to learn a few formulas. Sakura, naturally, was easily recognized as the top student.

 

I stared at all the students in my class. I had learned the names of a few already. The guy in front of me was Lee, an enthusiastic sort of guy who wore a green tee shirt and a pair of black shorts. He had a black bowl cut and bushy eyebrows. I caught him staring at my sister.

 

The very first desk was occupied by a quiet sort of guy named Neji who kept his hair long. It was a dark shade of brown, and he had it loose and flowing. He was wearing a beige colored polo and some jeans that I wanted to buy, having seen them in my favorite store two weeks ago.

 

Behind him was his girlfriend Tenten. She wore a simple white shirt that had a flower up on the high collar and gauchos for pants. Her brown hair was tied up in two buns on top of her head. She was absentmindedly tapping her pencil on her lip, staring up at the white board and leaning forward in her seat.

 

A few seats away was Ino. With long blond hair the fell over her right eye, she had the look of the good-girl-with-an-attitude. She was tall and skinny like a model and dressed like one too—a silk top that was the color of grapes and a pair of skinny black jeans.

 

Two seats behind her was Shikamaru, the laziest person I’d ever seen in my life. He had brown hair he kept in a ponytail and a scowl on his face. He was leaning his chair back as far as it could go without him falling over. He wore a dark green jacket over a black tee-shirt and black shorts.

 

Shikamaru’s girlfriend was Temari. She had that cool sophistication and beauty that made you back away from her. With sandy colored hair that she kept in pigtails and evergreen colored eyes, you would think she was cute. Not the case—her eyes flashed dangerously and her hair was not…cute. She wore a black shirt and skinny jeans with a red belt. She was sitting in a rather cocky and confident position, with one leg drawn up and her hand against the side of her face.

 Kiba and Hinata were different. They sat next to each other in the back of the room. Kiba was muscular and sort of rugged, with messy brown hair and brown eyes the same color. He wore a plain black tee and some jean shorts complete with Air Jordans. He had a smirk on his face that clearly said, I’m bored but I’ve got a hot girlfriend to keep me company! Aren’t you jealous? 

Hinata was a cripplingly shy sort of girl who had long black hair, fair skin, and pale colored eyes. She wore a lavender sundress and a pair of sandals. She was nervously twirling a strand of hair around her finger. She looked a lot like Neji, and after a moment I put it together that they were related.

 

There was also Choji, a chubby boy who was actually eating chips in class. He had brown hair and wore a simple ensemble: white tee shirt and shorts.

 

Next to him, however, was Sai. Sai was pale and had dark hair, wearing a gray tee shirt and plaid shorts. He had a sort of smile on his face that made you instantly suspicious, but everyone treated him like a close friend, so I wasn’t too worried.

 

At long last, first period was over. I said goodbye to my sister, who was headed to art, and went to my next class, history.

 

Shikamaru caught up to me and said, “We have history together, so Temari and I will walk you to class. It’s on the other side of the building, so you’ll probably get lost the first couple days. And,” he added, looking over his shoulder, “Lee’s got art next, and he’ll be courteous enough to show your sister there.”

 

“Thanks,” I said, honestly grateful. “I really owe you guys one.”

 

“It’s no problem,” said Temari, giving me a smile I didn’t think I’d see on a face as cool and aloof as hers. “It’s probably kind of intimidating to go to a new school at nearly the end of the year, right? Naruto, you and your sister are welcome into our clique. You’ve met most of us…all that’s left is for you to meet Sasuke.”

 

“Sasuke?” I asked. “Who’s he?”

 

“Speak of the devil,” said Temari, her eyes narrowing and a grin growing across her face. “It’s the bastard himself.”

 

I looked to where her eyes were staring. I was instantly stunned.

 

He stood there, staring at us. He was obviously very proud and confident of himself, and his pale face had a bit of a smirk on it. His dark eyes were like pools of black paint. He was tall and dark, wearing a pair of black jeans and a blue shirt. His hair was black as night, and he grinned at us in almost a dark way as we neared.

 

“Hey. Temari, Shikamaru,” he said as the two neared. His eyes gave me a once-over. “Who’s this?”

 

“Naruto Uzumaki, a new student,” said Temari, going up to Sasuke and shoving a book into his hands. “Here’s your textbook back—thanks for letting me borrow it.”

 

Sasuke nodded, then turned to Shikamaru. “We’re at your place tonight, right? After the festival?”

 

Shikamaru nodded. “Thanks for blowing the secret.” He turned to me. “You and your sister can come with us tonight. There’s a big festival in the town. We were going to surprise you or your first day officially here, but Sasuke blew it.”

 

“I-It’s okay,” I said quickly. “We’d love to come. Thanks for inviting us. I’ll text Sakura in a minute to let her know…”

 

But suddenly Sasuke was right up in my face, examining me. I blinked, then stiffened, surprised at the sudden intrusion of space. He smelled kind of nice…like no cologne I’d ever smelled. It was kind of…cool.

 

“Sorry about this, but you look like quite the moron,” said Sasuke, leaning back again, now frowning. “I’m gonna guess that your sister got the brains, right?”

 

I was stunned. “Um…what?”

 

“Oh, and she probably got the looks too, right?” Sasuke said blatantly.

 

“Jeez, Sasuke, way to be friendly!” chided Temari, grabbing Sasuke’s shoulder. She looked at me. “Sorry, he’s really…blunt. And rude.”

 

“I can tell,” I said, miffed. “Thanks, it’s nice to meet you too.”

 

Sasuke gave me a smile that said, “I don’t like you.” But he simply said to me, “See you in class…dobe.”

 

I scowled, angry. Who was he to talk to me like that? He didn’t even know me.

 

I decided that I really, really didn’t like this guy.

 

 

End Notes:
Yay me!
The Arisaka Fan Club by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:

We're reading Shakespeare in English class right now. I've played Helena the lover and Titania the Fairy Queen so far.

This chapter was a lot of fun to write... <3

Sorry that the text is so small... I don't quite know what happened...

SAKURA 

I sat down next to my brother at lunch later on. We were sitting with some classmates of ours which we had been making friends with: Shikamaru, Temari, Neji, Tenten, Choji, Ino, Sai, Kiba, Hinata, Lee, and another guy named Sasuke whom I hadn’t spoken to yet. I noticed that every so often, my brother would look over and glare at this guy.

 

“Hey, Sis,” said Naruto as I sat. “How’s the first day going?”

 

“Fine, I suppose,” I answered. “A little disorienting.”

 

“So, Sakura,” said Temari, popping a grape into her mouth. “We’re all going to a festival tonight and then heading over to Shikamaru’s place. You wanna come?”

 

“Sure, sounds fun,” I said. “What time?”

 

“Four-thirty,” said Tenten. “It’s gonna be a blast—the whole town goes every year. Of course, we all started hanging out about three, four years ago, so it only became a tradition for the gang a little while ago, but we’ve been going since we were little.”

 

Neji nodded, then took some of the food off her lunch tray, popping it in his mouth. She rolled her eyes but grinned at him, also snatching a carrot.

 

“Sakura,” said Ino, leaning forward with her hands on her face, “have you been to literature class yet?”

 

Instantly, all the girls at our table turned their heads eagerly and the guys, save Naruto, rolled their eyes and sighed.

 

“Here we go again,” said Shikamaru. “I really don’t get you guys…”

 

Confused, I shook my head. “No. I have it later…”

 

The girls all looked at each other and grinned, giggling almost mischievously.

 

“W-What?” I asked. “What’s so funny?”

 

“Just you wait until you meet Arisaka-sensei,” sighed Hinata in her quiet voice.

 

“Yeah, he’s so dreamy,” said Ino, earning a round of guffaws from the other girls.

 

“Who says dreamy any more?” cried Temari, putting a hand over her eyes and leaning back in her chair. “Gawd, Ino, can you get any dorkier?”

 

“Arisaka-sensei?” I asked, confused. “Who?”

 

The girls suddenly jerked their heads toward the door. I heard murmurs all throughout the lunch room.

 

I turned my head and at the doorway to the cafeteria there was a young man, maybe about twenty-two or twenty-three. He had dark curls of hair that hung down on his face a little, a tall, lean frame, and dark gray eyes. Calming, mysterious, but the gentlest eyes I’d ever seen.

 

“Like the sea after a storm,” I said thoughtfully.

 

“What was that?” asked Ino.

 

I went red. “Oh, I was just thinking that his eyes are like the sea after a storm. After the storm has passed, I mean.”

 

“That’s so poetic,” said Hinata.

 

“Ah, it’s not mine, it’s from a movie, I think,” I said hastily. “I wish I was that creative, ha ha ha!”

 

“Oh look,” said Temari, a half-smirk, half-scowl on her face. “It’s the groupies.”

 

“Oh, I adore those girls,” sneered Ino. “Honestly…”

 

“Hmm?” I questioned, turning to look. A group of girls had flocked to Arisaka-sensei. They were so scantily clad that they could’ve made a thug blush.

 

“Holy crap,” said Naruto, looking them over with a sweep of his clear blue eyes. “Do you have no dress code here? They dress like freaking prostitutes!”

 

“Ridiculous as it seems, they dress that way to get Sensei’s attention,” said Tenten. Neji had draped his arm around her shoulder and she was leaning into him, relaxing.

 

“Ah, I see!” I said, snapping. “His fan club!”

 

“Bingo,” said Kiba.

 

“Ding ding ding!” said Shikamaru. “Hot for teacher, aren’t they?”

 

“Yeah, I can tell,” I said, bemused. “What exactly is the, erm, purpose of this fan club?”

 

Choji told me, “It’s pretty simple: they’re there to make sure no girl gets too close to Sensei.”

 

“I get it!” I exclaimed. “Wow, that’s ridiculous.”

 

“They’ve been around since, what, the beginning of this year?” mused Lee. “They’re crazy defensive, too—they torment and ostracize any girl who gets even a little bit of special attention from Sensei.”

 

My eyes went wide. “Really? That’s awful. And Sensei just puts up with this?”

 

“He just grins and bears it. Sensei’s a great guy, but he has one weakness: he can’t say no,” explained Temari. “He’s such a pushover. I mean, if someone asked him if he’d marry her, he’d say yes just so he wouldn’t hurt her feelings.”

 

“Eh?! Then why on earth hasn’t someone taken advantage of this?!” I cried.

 

Sai was the one who answered bluntly. “Because the Arisaka fan club would make their life a living hell.”

 

I blinked. “They’re that harsh?” I said, surprised.

 

Sasuke spoke to me for the first time. “See that girl over there?” he asked, pointing subtly to a rather normal looking girl with long dark hair and glasses, wearing a pink polo and jeans. “That’s Karin. Her family is good friends with Sensei’s family, so she and Sensei got along well. Innocent, friendly relationship.”

 

At this point, everyone sighed, shaking their heads.

 

“Poor, poor Karin,” continued Sasuke. “Those girls tore her apart. They bullied her, and bullied everyone else into ignoring Karin. They couldn’t stand that she was treated better than they were. I mean, the two were like siblings, but because of that, the fan club were pure evil to her.”

 

I shuddered. “Girls can be vicious, can’t we?”

 

Naruto said dryly, “Yet another reason I will never date a girl…”

 

“Ha! You and Sasuke both,” said Ino.

 

“Yeah, the raven can’t stand girls. Other than us, of course—but we’re just his friends,” explained Temari, who was retying a ponytail. “Ain’t that right, Sasuke?”

 

“Damn straight,” Sasuke answered. He looked at Naruto and smirked. “Kind of surprising, actually. That we have something in common, that is.”

 

Naruto almost snarled. “And here I thought you were quite the playboy.”

 

There was practically a crackle of electricity as the two boys glared at each other. I sighed. Trust my brother to start picking fights his first day here.

 

♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥          ♥

 

By the time seventh period rolled around, I was kind of nervous. The last thing I wanted was to be noticed in any way by this teacher, and naturally as the new student I would receive smiles and get called on more than the other students.

 

I walked into the classroom almost apprehensively. I looked around to see if I knew anyone.

 

“Sakura—you’re in my class?” said a surprised voice behind me. I turned around to see Tenten standing there, books in her arms.

 

I could’ve hugged her. “Thank goodness you’re in my class—I’m so scared of the fan club!”

 

“You lucked out,” said Tenten. “There aren’t any fan club girls in seventh period, believe it or not. This is the only period, though. The rest have at least one fan clubber in here.”

 

“Okay, guys, take a seat,” said an old man coming in. He had longish white hair and wore a red argyle sweater vest over a green shirt, khakis, and a pair of loafers.

 

“Eh? I thought Arisaka-sensei was the literature teacher,” I said.

 

“Jiraya-sensei is, actually,” explained Tenten. “But Arisaka-sensei is the assistant teacher. He’s only twenty-two.”

 

“Oh…” I said, “I didn’t realize.”

 

“Come sit by me,” said Tenten, grabbing my sleeve and pulling me over to the back corner of the room, by the window. “The window seat’s the best—it’s really pretty.”

 

“Yeah,” I said, looking out at the leafy landscape. “I really like Konoha.”

 

“Good—Naruto said you’re staying until graduation.”

 

“Yeah, actually.”

 

“Okay,” said Jiraya-sensei, “please pull out your Midsummer Night’s Dream copies and open to page 35. I’ll need someone to play Helena, Demitrius, Oberon, and Puck—hold up.”

 

I looked up from my book to find he was staring at me. “Ah, yes. You must be Sakura Uzumaki, correct?”

 

“Yes,” I said. “That’s me.”

 

“Yes, I had your brother last class. Great boy—good actor too. Nice to have you, and welcome to Konoha. Now, why don’t you say the lines of Helena?” the kindly sensei asked, smiling at me.

 

I just nodded. How could I refuse?

 

I glanced over Helena’s lines.

 

I paled.

 

I whipped my head around to look at Tenten. “I-Is this girl really that desperate?!” I said in a frantic whisper.

 

Tenten nodded. “That girl has no sense of self-worth.”

 

“Okay, I need a Puck, an Oberon, and a Demetrius, please! Volunteers or victims, class?” asked Jiraya-sensei. He looked around. Seeing no volunteers, he went with victims.

 

“Congratulations, Momoshiro, you are now Oberon. Ah, yes, Haku—thank you, you are now Puck. And as for Demetrius—”

 

“Sorry I’m late,” said a voice, and Arisaka-sensei walked in.

 

I felt my eyes draw near to him entirely on their own. I could see now why the fan club was so very obsessed with him—even the way he walked reflected a grace and gentle demeanor. He glanced around and gave me a smile, recognizing that I was not a student he knew.

 

That smile sent shivers up and down my spine for some unknown reason. They weren’t unpleasant, but something about it made me feel angry. It could of very well been because I didn’t want to feel so elated when I saw that smile.

 

I tried to make it less appealing—it didn’t work. Frustrated with myself for being attracted to that stupid smile, I looked away.  

 

“Kenshin, why don’t you play Demetrius?” asked Jiraya-sensei. “You do have that nice voice.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t want a student to?” asked Arisaka-sensei.

 

“Go right ahead—I rather like hearing you recite. The young lady playing Helena is in the green back there. Sakura Uzumaki is her name, and she is a new student here.”

 

“Welcome to Konoha,” said Arisaka-sensei, giving me that infuriating smile. I couldn’t stand it! How could that smile send my heart fluttering?! I hated it—feeling so insecure all of the sudden.

 

“Take it from the top. That’s you, Oberon,” said Jiraya-sensei.

 

Momoshiro, who was playing Oberon, began to read. “Well, go thy way…”

 

I read along in the book, stumbling over the Shakespearean English a few times. I liked Shakespeare, but it could get difficult sometimes. I preferred his sonnets to his plays.

 

Finally, it was Arisaka-sensei’s turn. He began.

 

 “I love thee not, therefore pursue me not.
    Where is Lysander and fair Hermia?
    The one I'll slay, the other slayeth me.
    Thou told'st me they were stolen unto this wood;
    And here am I, and wode within this wood,
    Because I cannot meet my Hermia.
    Hence, get thee gone, and follow me no more.”
 

Argh. Shoot. This sucked big time—here came Helena’s lines. Taking a deep breath, I recited the desperate pleas of this girl with the unrequited love: 

“You draw me, you hard-hearted adamant;
    But yet you draw not iron, for my heart
    Is true as steel: leave you your power to draw,
    And I shall have no power to follow you.”
 

Ah, I was so glad that the fan club was not there. How horrifying that would be if they caught me professing love to Arisaka-sensei, play or not. 

Tenten was hiding a smirk behind her hand. 

By the time I’d finished reciting the lines of Helena, my face was beet red. I could’ve run out of the classroom right then and there. How many times had I told him that I loved him? I knew it was a play, but I was paranoid. 

I looked up and glared at the Demetrius I’d just told to please ravish me. 

Arisaka-sensei just smiled. 

How I hated that man.

 

End Notes:
How'd you like it? Please review!
Fair by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Ahh, what an enjoyable chapter. This was fun. Especially the interaction between Naruto and Sasuke. Fun, fun, fun.
NARUTO

That night, Sakura and I were both infuriated.

"That stupid...stupid...STUPID!" I complained to her.

"You think that YOU have it bad?" she demanded. "I've mortified myself in front of that stupid literature teacher, who I now officially HATE."

"Yeah?! Well that idiot Sasuke Uchiha is my CHEMISTRY PARTNER! We're dissecting a freaking RAT together! I hate his freaking guts!"

"Oh, well, aren't you to be pitied," said Sakura, almost maliciously. "That just sucks, doesn't it?"

"Yeah, actually!" I cried angrily. "But how you you know? Oh, right-- YOU DON'T."

"You know what? Shut up. JUST SHUT UP, NARUTO!" she shrieked. "I am in SUCH a bad mood that it is your DEATH if you try to cross me!"

"Why don't YOU shut up, Sakura?!" I demanded furiously. "YOU don't have anything to worry about. You'll get over it soon enough!"

"And YOU won't, Naruto?!"

"Sure, if you say so-- it's so nice to hear that we agree on something!" I snarled.

Her green eyes blazed and she shrieked, tackling me to the ground.

"FINE! FINE! IS THAT HOW YOU WANT IT?! THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET, YOU STUPID! FREAKING! MORON!" she screamed, biting into my shoulder.

"OWWW!" I roared. "GET OFFA ME!" I wrapped my hands around her arms and threw her off of me, but she came right back at me, swinging a fist. It collided with me jaw, sending me flying backward.

"NARUTO! WHY DON'T YOU PITY ME FOR ONCE?! I'M ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT YOU-- ALWAYS WONDERING IF YOU'LL EVER FIND SOMEONE YOU'RE GONNA FALL FOR, INSTEAD OF TAGGING ALONG WITH ME ALL THE TIME!"

"Oh, I get it now! Is THAT how it is?" I demanded, stung. "You wanna get rid of me! I see! It makes perfect sense now-- all the urging to get a girlfriend, saying how I shouldn't be with you forever--"

"NO!" Sakura screamed, tears filling her eyes. She came at me again, but instead of hitting me, she launched herself at me and fell on top of me in a hug. "I'm just worried that you'll be sad or lonely. You make me lose sleep worrying about you," she said sadly. She looked up at me with eyes that were like a fawn's.

I melted. Sakura's ace in the hole was that she could look so sad and cute that I just wanted to do anything for her. I couldn't stay mad at her now-- instantly, all the angry feelings and bitterness inside just faded.

"Sorry," I told her, putting my arms around her. "Sorry, Sis. I shouldn't have gotten so mad at you...I know your life is kind of bad right now, but I'm just so upset that I can't see past my own problems."

"Shut up. I'm the one who should be sorry. I'll probably get over it quick, just like you said," Sakura told me, but I knew her a lot better-- she would stew over it for months. She wasn't the type to hold grudges, but she was the type who let embarrassment stay with her.

I lifted her, standing up. "We gotta get ready for that fair or carnival or whatever. Temari's picking us up," I told her.

"Thanks," she said, feet gently touching the floor. "What do you think i should wear?"

I sighed in exasperation. "I'm not good at this kind of thing..."

"What else are mend good for?" she demanded. "Come on-- I'll show you three outfits and you pick what looks bet on me."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

I follwed her into her room and she promptly started tearing the contents of her closet out. "Let me see..." she muttered, searching through.

"Um-- I don't think you should throw your stuff around," I said.

"Hush, I'm thinking."

"Sure, sure," I said. I sat down on her bed and rolled over to her iHome on her nightstand. I turned it and turned it up. "Where I Stood" by Missy Higgins began playing.

"Ooh, I like this song," Sakura said. She turned to me and held up an outfit. "Okay-- first thing."

It was a spring green colored shirt, with quarter sleeves and a pair of khakis. "I'd wear it with my Birkenstocks," she told me.

"Um, I like it-- what's next?"

She threw those clothes to the side and held up another shirt-- a peasant shirt with a bodice and jean capris. "Isn't this shirt awesome? I got it on sale, too," she said. "I'd wear my boots with this one."

"Okay...next."

"Last but not least-- this." She held up a pair of embroidered jeans and a simple white polo. "Sneakers with this one."

I considered. "You look best in the first outfit, you'd catch admiring eyes with the second outfit, but I like you in the last one."

She blinked in surprise. "You don't say." She hesitated, then said, "Get out. I'm getting changed."

I exited, going into my room to put on some fresh clothes as well-- and matching Sakura to make her a little peeved-- a white cotton tee and jeans.

Sakura finally bounced into my room. "Taa-daa!" she said, then noticed my outfit. "Eh?! Are matching me? That's not funny."

"I think it is," I said, winking. "Grab your wallet."

She huffed, but nodded. "I'm not paying for you."

"I'm not asking you to."

"Whatever--"

A loud honk from outside.

"That must be Temari," I said. "You go ahead-- I'll tell Iruka that we're leaving. Don't leave without me."

"We won't," she said, rolling her eyes and smiling. "Be fast."

"Sure thing," I said, running down the stairs and onto the porch. "Hey, Iruka?"

Iruka turned around. "Yes, Naruto?"

"Sakura and I are going out with friends," I told him. I saw his eyes widen.

"You're quick at befriending people, aren't you?" he said, his eyebrows raised. "Well, then. Have fun. Take care of your sister and come back at a reasonable time."

"Yessir," I told him. "Catch you later, Iruka."

"Bye, Naruto. Oh! Your parents are coming home from Canada this Sunday. They'll only be able to stay for a day, though."

"It's fine, I'm used to it," I said. "Cool that they're coming back though. Okay, Temari's honking at me again; I've got to go."

"Bye," Iruka said. "Have fun."

"Thanks!" I called, running outside. Parked in our driveway was a sleek black Jaguar.

I went over to it, whistling. Temari rolled down the tined window, peeking out at me with a grin on her sunglasses-adorned face. "You like?" she said.

"Oh yes," I said, opening the back door and sliding in next to my sister. "Holy crap, Temari. This is nice."

"Isn't it?" she purred, grinning and squirming around excitedly. "Shikamaru likes it too."

"True, true," the spoken of said from the passenger seat. "Howdy, Naruto."

"Hey, Shikamaru."

"So we're meeting up with the others at the fair, right?" said Temari, backing out of the driveway and glancing out of the rearview mirror. "Nice outfits, by the way. Was that intentional?"

"No, he's just trying to bother me," said Sakura, a little peeved.

"Ha ha," said Temari, chuckling. "My brothers do that to me. I don't think you have any classes with them, and they hang out with a different crowd, so you probably won't recognize when you meet them tonight. Well, one of them-- Kankuro's got a cold."

"What are their names?" asked Sakura.

"Kankuro and Gaara. All three of us are fraternal triplets. Those idiots bug the hell out of me."

"Brothers," said Sakura in a tone I knew all too well.

"Don't I know it."

"Do you have any siblings, Shikamaru?" I asked.

"No. And I'm glad about it, too," said Shikamaru. "Siblings are such a drag."

"So true," I said seriously, earning me a look from Sakura that I could practically fell electrocuting me. "Kidding, I'm kidding, Sis..."

"Yeah, you tell him, Sakura," said Temari, looking in the rearview mirror again. "Jeez, you guys live in a nice neighborhood. What do your parents do?"

"That's rude, Temari," said Shikamaru.

"Oops, I probably should've thought about that," said Temari apologetically.

"No, no, it's all good," Sakura said.

"They're spies for the Soviet Union," I said, my face unchanging.

Temari and Shikamaru both turned in their seats to give me looks that said "You've gotta be kidding me."

"Naruto, stop it," said Sakura, pinching my arm. "Our parents are doctors that work internationally."

"Oh, that would explain it," Temari said knowingly. "You guys look like you're rolling in it."

"Temari, you're being rude again," said Shikamaru in a bored tone.

"Gah! I'm so sorry, you guys...my tongue gets the better of me sometimes..." Temari said, once again apologetic.

"Don't sweat it," Sakura and I said concurrently, then glared at each other. "Quit copying me-- THERE YOU GO AGAIN!" we cried at the same time, then burst out laughing.

"My brothers and I aren't anything like you two," said Temari in amazement. "Was that planned?"

"It never is!" Sakrua and I said at the same time again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Temari! Shikamaru! Naruto, Sakura!" called Tenten when she saw us at the fair.

"Hey!" Temari called, sliding her sunglasses up onto her head. We all walked over to the gang. There was a boy there with clay read hair and dark eyes that I guessed was Gaara, Temari's brother.

I looked through the faces of the people of our group and instantly saw Sasuke. I felt my eyes narrow into a tiny glare.

My sister nudged me. I looked her way and she gave me a questioning look that asked me what was going on between me and Sasuke.

"Nothing," I mouthed. She hesitated, still staring at me, then turned her leaf green eyes away from me.

"Okay, where to first? Food or rides?" asked Kiba. "My big sister said that there's some good funnel cake!"

"Food!" said Choji instantly.

"But won't that make you want to get sick? All these rides are twirly rides," said Ino.

"I'm with Ino," agreed Sai. "You might get sick."

"I don't have a preference," I said.

"Rides first," said Shikamaru.

"That seems the most logical," said Lee.

"We should pair up," suggested Tenten. "Then we meet back at some point to get food."

"Okay, let's pair off!" said Temari. "Me and Shikamaru, Kiba and Hinata, Lee and Choji, Sai and Gaara, Neji and Tenten, Sakura and Ino, and last but not least, Sasuke and Naruto."

My stomach dropped. No way. No way!

But I didn't verbalize my discontentment. That would just make me look like a jerk.

Sasuke did, however.

"Nuh-uh! I hafta be with the dobe?" he complained.

"Shut up and deal with it," I said quietly and crankily. "I'm not too keen on you either."

He threw me a dirty look, then sighed. "Whatever."

"Okay, great! Meet back here at six-- we'll eat then, and head back to Shikamaru's place," said Temari. I wondered vaguely in the back of my mind if she was the unofficial leader of the group. (She was actually just the favorite character of the author of this fanfic.)

"Let's go!" Ino and Sakura squealed, running off in the direction of some games. I stared after my sister wistfully, wishing I could be with her rather than with this... this...teme.

I blinked. Teme? Where on earth did "teme" come from?

I brushed it off, then turned to Sasuke. "Look," I said, "I don't like you."

"The feeling's mutual," said Sasuke.

"But whether or not I'm with you or without, I'm gonna try and have fun. I don't want you ruining my first night here in this town so you better cooperate, got it?"

Sasuke peered at me from the corner of his eye. "Fine by me...dobe."

I exploded. "STOP CALLING ME THAT, TEME!"

Sasuke blinked, raising his eyebrows. "Um...what was that you called me?"

I could've kicked myself. I turned red. Why on earth had I called him that? It sounded kind of childish, though the meaning behind it wasn't.

"Don't worry about it," I muttered angrily. "J-Just forget it."

"No, you can keep calling me it," Sasuke smirked. "I don't mind. It just gives me another reason to call you 'dobe'."

I exploded once again. "WHAT WAS THE FIRST REASON?!"

Sasuke's eyes widened and he started laughing. "God, what a temper!"

I was flushing furiously. "What is your problem?! Can we just go?!"

"What's stopping you?"

"ARRRGH! STOP MESSING WITH ME! I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE TOY AROUND WITH ME!"

"You're the one insisting that I'm toying around with you."

"GRR! QUIT PLAYING MIND GAMES!"

"You're the one playing mind games-- with yourself. You seem to think I'm doing things that, frankly, I'm not." Sasuke leaned in to say quietly, "It's not good for your self-esteem when you delude yourself, dobe."

"ARRRRRRRRGH!" I roared. "YOU'RE MAKING ME SOOO ANGRY!"

"You're making yourself angry-- I'm not doing anything...you're just accusing me," Sasuke said breezily, examining his hand. I noticed it had a small scar on the back, as if he's gotten cut.

I exhaled heavily. "You know what? You know what, I just wanna have a good time, and you're stopping me--"

"I'm not stopping you."

"YES YOU ARE!"

"No I'm not."

"OH MY GOSH, YES YOU ARE!"

"What am I doing to stop you?" he asked, in that infuriatingly collected voice.

I fumed. I was beyond angry. "You, mister, are just walking to your Eminem death if you keep prodding me like this."

Sasuke burst out laughing. "You mean your eminent death if I keep provoking you like this? Tell me how I'm provoking you."

I began angrily, "Well, you--" But realized I had no definite argument against him.

I gasped in anger.

He'd won.

"I hate you," I snarled.

"Good," said Sasuke brightly. "That's exactly what I was going for." He flicked me off. "Dobe."

I inhaled sharply. "You wanna knock it off?!" I demanded, trying to keep my cool and not succeeding. "What can I do to get you to stop bothering me?!"

"Hmm..." said Sasuke, putting a hand on his chin and crossing his arms, thinking. "I'm afraid the only way that's gonna happen is if I fell in love with you, and that for sure ain't happening. I'm straight, thankyouverymuch."

I growled. "I wouldn't fall for you if you were the last person on earth-- or a girl."

Sasuke looked at me out of the corner of his eye and grinned. "Thank goodness. You just gave me a better night of sleep and probably added a year to my life."

"You are so annoying," I huffed. "Give it a rest."

"You should give it a rest too, dobe."

"Look, teme-- and I'm not afraid to call you that!-- I don't think it's worth either of our efforts to be on bad terms."

"I suppose you're right," he relented. Then he promptly switched tracks. "Great idea! Let's be on worse terms. I mean, I hate you and you hate me-- why change what nature's already mapped out?"

I slapped a hand to my forehead. "Here we go again..."

"What on earth do you mean? I believe you mean here you go again-- I haven't changed as far as I know. You're the one making peace treaties that I frankly don't wanna sign."

I turned to him wearily and gave the best glare my sucked energy would allow. "God...even looking at you makes me exhausted..."

"Then quit looking at me-- I'd prefer it if you don't, dobe."

I just sighed. "I give up..."
End Notes:
Naruto and Sasuke's relationship is like walking onto a minefield-- will these two ever get along?

Next chapter: Sakura and Ino run into a certain literature teacher at the fair...
What I've Done by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:

I'm having a lot of fun dreaming up new chapters for Sakura and Kenshin. They make a nice pair-- six years age difference is kinda cool too. My auntie and uncle are 13 years apart. Age doesn't matter when you're in love!

This is how I imagine Kenshin Arisaka (minus the funky outfit, naturally):

http://srv0110-05.oak1.imeem.com/g/p/095a4c1ab46e1e0845bc9c1cb187a8ec_web.png

http://media.photobucket.com/image/aram%20merupuri/Akasari01/aram2.jpg

 

 

 

SAKURA

You would be alarmed as well if the boy selling cotton candy to you knew everything about you.

"Cotton candy is the best thing in the world," Ino said, putting some in her mouth. "MMMMMM!"

"You're like a little kid," I laughed. I handed two dollars to the boy behind the booth and took my fluffy treat. "Thanks."

We started walking away, but the boy grabbed my arm. "Um...Sakura...I really like you. Will you go out with me?" he asked, blushing beet red. He had sandy blond hair, glasses, and a pointed, angular face like a weasel's.

I almost dropped my cotton candy. "Uh...?!"

"Oh, please..." Ino muttered, rolling her eyes.

"I'm really, really sorry...but I don't even know you," I said apologetically. "Who are you, exactly?"

"Just ignore him, Sakura," said Ino dryly. "That's Ryu Takashi. Creep. Look, Ryu," she said to him, "you don't know a thing about her--"

 "I do! You're Sakura Haruno, age sixteen," he said quickly.

"Who doesn't know that? She's got celebrity status from being new," began Ino, but Ryu cut her off.

"You're five foot nine, one hundred and ten pounds, your shoe size is eight, and your bust waist and hip size is 38, 24, 35."

I actually did drop my cotton candy at the point. "Uh...!"

"You hate math but are really good at it. You're secretly a history buff. You like guys who can play any instrument except guitar. You like European metal and foreign films. You don't like romantic comedies, though. Your favorite food is steak, and you hate tofu and things that are too salty. When you go out to eat, you often ask the waiter to make your food 'as hot as humanly possible.' You once shocked yourself when you put a wire into a socket. You like sweets but won't eat candy or coconut, because you're allergic to coconut. You never watch a movie without a snack, and you do your homework as soon as you get home. You like to read, but you don't have a favorite book. Your favorite song is 'She Is My Sin' by Nightwish, but you hate the song 'Moon River' because you think it's stupid. You like the movie 'Bella' and any movie that can make you cry. You're secretly afraid of dark, cramped spaces and strangers. You're interested in becoming a doctor and your lifelong dream is to cook the perfect batch of cookies!"

I stared, stunned.

"...Holy crap," I finally said. "Are you stalking me?"

"We're leaving. Now," said Ino fiercely, yanking on my arm. "Let's go, Sakura."

"H-How did he know all that?!" I demanded, terrified.

"He's a freak. He can get anything he wants because his family is powerful."

"That's really weir--" I slammed into someone unexpectedly.

"I-I'm sorry," I began, to look into the face of Kenshin Arisaka.

ACK.

"Ah, Sakura, Ino. Hello," said Sensei with that smile that made me cringe.

"Hey, Sensei," said Ino.

"Sakura, are you okay?" asked Sensei, looking at me curiously.

"I-I was," I said bitterly. "Now I'm a bit freaked."

Why am I telling him? I wondered vaguely.

"Can I guess? Yoiu ran into Ryu, right?" he said, running a hand through his hair. "You've got that look about you. That 'Holy crap' look."

I almost laughed, but didn't. "Yup."

Sensei exhaled. Then he turned to Ino. "Can I borrow her?"

Ino blinked. "...Sure?"

"Great," said Sensei. He grabbed my hand.

"Huh?" I cried. "Uh, Sensei--!"

"Come on, I want you to see something," he said, grinning and taking me to the Ferris Wheel.

Stunned, I followed him in and waited. Finally, the ride started and we rose into the air. We stopped, lingering at the top.

"Look," said Sensei, pointing out the window.

I gasped.

Outside, there was the beautiful stretch of Konoha, and just outside, and ocean I'd never even noticed. The setting sun reflected fiery red off of it, the moving water contorting it.

"...Beautiful! It's beautiful, Sensei!" I breathed.

"I thought you might like it. Think of it as...as my apology."

I turned to look at him, surprised. "What do you mean?"

"I embarrassed you today, didn't I? Having to read as Demetrius."

I looked away, turning pink. "It's okay."

He sighed. "And I was certain we would get along so well, then Jiraiya screwed it up. Sorry."

"It's okay," I repeated. "Honestly." I smiled at him. "Th...Thank you."

"I hope we can be friends," he said, sticking out his hand.

I paused. "Sure." We shook on it.

End Notes:
Yay. <3
One Glass of Wine by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
The stuff about the wine is true, y'all.
NARUTO

Eventually, our group found our way back together and we headed over to Shikamaru's house.

Temari and Shikamaru were chatting in the front seats, and I was silent in the back, still brooding over my incident with Sasuke.

My sister, however, was glowing.

I leaned in and whispered in her ear, "What's with that aura? You're crushing me with it."

She rolled her eyes but continued to smile. "I made up with Arisaka-sensei. You know, he's really not a bad guy."

I blinked in surprise. "Really. Now how did this all come across?"

"Well...it just did."

"Keeping secrets? Well, fine," I said. "I'm just your beloved brother."

"Exactly. Why should I tell you anything?" she said, smirking a little.

"Ouchies," I said in reply.

"What're you two talking about?" asked Temari, glancing back in her rearview mirror at us.

"She's just telling me about her crush on Arisaka-sensei," I said, just to be mean.

"NARUTO!" Sakura fumed. "Temari, don't listen to him. It's just that Arisaka-sensei and I got off on bad terms today and I got over it. It was childish and immature of me, and I was the one in the wrong. That's all!"

"Why would I believe your stupid brother?" asked Temari. I feigned stabbing myself in the heart. "Anyway, you don't seem like the type to ever go for older guys."

"I know, seriously. I've never even had a crush on an older actor," said Sakura. "To be honest, guys my age are more my style."

"Since when?" I asked.

"Since forever."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Should I have?"

"Yes!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm your twin brother, that's why!"

"This conversation is going nowhere fast," said my sister, peeved. "You're wasting my time. You're really pissing me off, Naruto."

I crossed my arms, shutting my eyes in mock frustration. Silent, I sat there.

After a moment, though, I cautiously opened my eye a fraction of a nanometer to peer at my sister. She was looking at me with a bit of a silly grin on her face.

"Sis," I teased, opening my eyes and pushing her a little.

"Shut up, Naruto," she giggled, leaning against me and pushing me with her side. "You're such a moron."

"I love you too."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Why were you glaring at Sasuke?" Sakura whispered to me as we looked over Shikamaru's lawn. There was a lake beyond a hill, and he and Neji were fishing in it. She and I stood on the balcony, watching the sun go down. "Naruto..."

"The guy just makes me angry," I said coolly.

Sakura exhaled, not in frustration. "You make me wonder, Naruto," she said, taking a sip of her soda, "about how the world looks through your eyes. I don't understand you. What happened to make you so angry with him?"

"He and I just don't click, y'know?"

Her green eyes flicked toward me, then quickly away back at Neji and Shikamaru. Tenten walked down the path to the lake and put a hand on Neji's shoulder, saying something to him. He looked at her, then gave the fishing pole to her. Standing behind her, he wrapped his hands around hers and pulled her arms back. He then let go, and Tenten threw her arms forward. The fishing wire soared through the air, invisible for a second, then sent ripples across the water. Tenten's laughter echoed through the evening.

"I...I'm glad we made friends so quickly," Sakura said quietly. "We're very lucky, Naruto."

I turned my head briefly to look at her, then put my arm around her shoulders and put my cheek on her head. "Sure."

"Twincest!" said a voice from the balcony doorway.

Sakura and I both growled angrily, turning our heads.

"WE'RE CODEPENDENT, THAT'S ALL!" we both yelled simultaneously.

"Kidding, kidding," said Temari, chuckling as she stood in the doorway. "Codependent is a word used mostly in relationships, isn't it? Whatever-- are you guys having a good time?"

"Yes," we said at the same time. "Thanks."

"It's so funny how you two say things at the same time. It's like you can--"

"Read each other's minds?" we said again, concurrently. We looked at each other and shrugged. "It's a gift."

Temari grinned, then walked to the balcony as well, looking out. The sun had almost completely set. Shikamaru had left the lake, but Neji and Tenten were dancing without music down there, two dark profiles with their arms around each other, the lake red with the sun in the background.

"Out of all of us, those two have been in love the longest. They've had a thing for each other since they were thirteen, and it took them until they were fifteen to get together, but I've never seen a couple so happy. Don't get me wrong, Shikamaru and I get along just fine. We're just so different, and sometimes we don't see eye to eye, but if love isn't rough, it isn't fun. And Kiba and Hinata, well, they get along well too. It's just that she's so shy, so it's like they can't get anywhere in their relationship. He's so outgoing, so he's encouraging her to try new things, like traveling and boating and skydiving, but she just trembles in fear and says no. Kiba's a saint to stay with her even though they're polar opposites. I mean, Shikamaru and I are different too, but we're mutually on the same level with trying new things. If he suggests something, I'll go along with it and vice-versa. We went fly-fishing the other day at his suggestion. Frustrating, but a new and interesting experience. Relationships have to be open and willing like that. That's why Neji and Tenten are so wonderful-- they're on the same wavelength with everything, and so willing to ride the next wave. It's beautiful, their synchronicity and enthusiasm. And they just get along so well, balancing each other out. Tenten loves him more than anything, and he would give his life for her happiness. It makes me wish all relationships were like that," Temari said in a soft voice.

Sakura and I looked at Tenten and Neji in a new light. "That's great," I murmured,

Sakura looked out past the lake and saw another house. "Who lives in that big house over there?" she questioned, taking a sip of her soda.

"Arisaka-sensei," said Temari simply, causing Sakura to choke and spew her drink everywhere.

"What?!" she demanded, coughing. "Are you serious?!"

Temari, her chin in her hand, looked at Sakura from the corner of her eye. "I knew that there was something going on. I could sense it."

"B-But just earlier you insisted that you wouldn't believe Naruto when he said all that stuff about me and Arisaka-sensei!" Sakura cried.

"I said I wouldn't believe Naruto, but I never said anything about not believing my intuition," Temari said mildly, looking at her nails. She took a sip of her drink, which I hadn't noticed that she'd had. It was...

"Wine?" I asked.

She looked over at me. "You want a sip? I drink one glass every day. Moderate wine drinkers have narrower waists, which is kinda what I'm going for, in addition to the health benefits."

"Health benefits?" I questioned, taking the glass from her hand and sipping. It was warm and bitter, but in a nice way that made my tongue tingle.

"Yeah. It's good for your bones, circulartory system, and immune system. And I also just like the taste," she said, winking. "But no more than one glass."

"I'd love to start on that regiment!" I said enthusiastically.

"Naruto...!" my sister growled. "You wouldn't do it for the health benefits!"

"Oops. You caught me, Sis," I said guiltily.

She turned her back to me, crossing her arms. "Gosh. I'm trying so hard to look out for you..."

"Awwwww, really, Sis?" I gushed, throwing my arms around her and rubbing my cheek against her hair. "I love you so much! You're so cute when you worry! Oh, I'm just the doting older twin brother, aren't I?"

"Twincest--" Temari began, but we cut her off angrily.

"WE'RE CODEPENDENT, THAT'S ALL!" we shouted. "GET IT STRAIGHT!"

"You never cease to make me laugh, " she said with a chuckle.

End Notes:
"WE'RE CODEPENDENT!" is my favorite part of this chapter.
Does anyone know about Vic Mignogna? Oh, I love that guy! I love his music in addition to acting. If you don't know what I'm talking about, ignore me.
But I just put the songs "Guilty Beauty Love", "Brothers", and "White Night True Light" on my iPod and I can't get enough of them, I swear. He's such a genius at singing, and his voice is so awesome!
Here are those three songs (it's him singing, obviously):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YntqC_LvkL8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLy04NnUnlA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zxe3UyzBZM
Naruto's Guilt by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea or not. Oh well-- we'll see how this goes over. It's quite dramatic, isn't it?

SAKURA 

I didn't realize that on Monday when I volunteered to take folders to the science lab what exactly I was getting into.

Our biology teacher was Orochimaru-sensei. He's... ah... um... well, he's very enthusiastic about... um... biology. Particularly dissections. Like the rat dissection we were doing this quarter.

It didn't take me long to start smelling the perservatives from down the hallway in the science hallway. It was a strong scent that made my gag reflex get going and choked me.

My brother was in this class right now, I realized. I smiled. At least I'd get to see him. Knowing Naruto, he'd be going at that rat, not enthusiastically, but gallantly, and trying to do his best.

Ah, how wrong I was for hoping.

I entered the science lab. My brother, Sasuke, and Ino were the only ones in there-- the rest of the class had finished, and were in the other room, waiting for the bell to ring and finishing up their drawing of the digestive system. I cleared my throat, tugging gently on the corner of Orochimaru-sensei's lab coat. "Orochimaru-sensei, these folders are from Kurenai-sensei," I said, holding them out to him.

"Ah, yes," he said in his extremely serpentine voice. Sensei wasn't a bad guy, but he scared the crap out of me.

"Miss History," he said (all the teachers called Kurenai-sensei, the history teacher, "Miss History"), "took you long enough to get these to me--"

He was suddenly cut off by a very familiar voice.

"Shut up, will ya, teme?!"

I froze, paling. Oh, crap. I knew that voice.

Peeking cautiously around Orochimaru-sensei, almost afraid to look but knowing I couldn't avoid it, I took in the scene in front of me, blanching.

Naruto was holding a pair of fur-covered scissors at his lab partner, who I recognized as Sasuke Uchiha. The raven, however angry his partner was, was keeping a very cool face.

"Nngh...!" I groaned. Naruto, don't do anything stupid, I'm begging you...

"What's the probem, Uchiha? Uzumaki?" asked Orochimaru-sensei.

I caught the eye of Ino, who was sitting near me on my right. She gave me a wide-eyed look, questioning me as to what the problem was.

I shrugged helplessly. The color that had drained from my face was now rushing back as I flushed in embarrassment for my brother.

"Mature as always, aren't you, dobe?" asked Sasuke, flicking something off his leather jacket.

I flinched. Don't tease him.

"Shut up! You take back what you said!" demanded my brother, eyes fierce. "Take it back!"

"Why should I?" asked Sasuke, narrowing his dark eyes.

"I'll never forgive you," said Naruto, tears in his voice. I was stunned and scared. What could Sasuke have said to have made him so upset.

Without thinking, I cried out, "Naruto!" and ran over to him, wrapping my arms around him. "Hey, hey, calm down," I said soothingly, looking at his face. He was shaking with anger.

My heart stopped. Only one thing could've made him this angry.

But...how did Sasuke know about it? How had he seen it? I couldn't remember ever leaving it out in the open-- that would cause Naruto so much pain.

"Naruto, Naruto," I asked desperately, "did he ask about that?"

Naruto just nodded, his lips tight. I could tell that he was extremely upset. Turning to Sasuke, I pleaded quietly, "Please, Sasuke, I beg of you-- don't hurt my brother like this."

Something flickered in Sasuke's eyes. The expression on his face turned to one of sorrow. Then, he shocked me by saying, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry...both of you."

I swallowed. "I-It's okay. Just...just don't do it again. It's a...it's a topic that we're very sensitive about."

"I apologize," said Sasuke sincerely, his face sad. "I've...been cruel."

"Don't think any more of it," I said quietly. "Naruto? I'm going back to class now. Will...will you be all right?"

He nodded silently. I gave him a comforting smile, then whispered subtly, "There's no use protecting me from words. What's done is done, so stop worrying."

"I can't do that," he whispered back. "Your pain is my pain, Sis."

My throat closed up, but I did not cry. "I'll see you after school, Naruto," I said, walking away quickly.

But before I went, I looked over my shoulder. Naruto sat there, hurt, and Sasuke stared, helpless. Finally, the dark-haired raven took Naruto's paper and said, "...Naruto. You forgot to label the left and right lungs." He wrote something down on the paper. "Try to get on task, Naruto."

My brother, if he was as surprised as I was, didn't show it. He just said, "Thanks...Sasuke."

I smiled a little.

My brother's enemy had just acknowledged by his first name.

And my brother, in turn, had acknowledged him similarly. It was a big step for him, especially since Sasuke had asked about the one thing Naruto could never forgive himself for: the scar that stretched across my back.

End Notes:

There-- that's the latest chapter. Well? What did you think? Good? Bad?

Yeah, so I was watching BLEACH the other day, and I saw that little ending to the song "My Pace" by SunSet Swish.

1. I am now addicted to that song, even though the English in it sounds like, instead of "All fails", it's "Orphaaaans", and "Keep my pace" sounds like "kick my face."

2. I am going to learn to do that little dance that the bount dolls do! I will get two of my friends together and we will do that dance!!!! I swear we will!

Here's the ending, it's so precious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klm-z-kR0uE&feature=related

Me and my friend Hannah (ChicagoIsCalling7)Ā are using "kick my face" as our new catchphrase.

Kick my face, everyone! ;D

Tripping, Breaking Your Nose, and Wondering What Happened by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
From Arisaka-sensei's POV.
KENSHIN

My doorbell rang that afternoon after I'd come home from school. I happened to be lounging on the couch and grading papers when it rang.

"Coming!" I called. It echoed through the enormous, empty house. Not for the first time, I wondered vaguely why my parents would buy an enormous house for a single man living alone, in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Konoha, right on a lake, knowing that I was terrified of water. Worse, the house on the lake wasn't actually on the lake, it was seated on a huge hill. My other pathological fear: heights.

I opened the large oak door to see Shikamaru Nara, a student of mine, standing there with his girlfriend, Temari.

"Oh, hello," I said to my neighbor who lived across the lake, "What's up, Shikamaru, Temari?"

"We wanted to give you this, Sensei," said Temari, only to earn a dirty look from Shikamaru. "Okay, fine, I wanted to give it to you. Shikamaru said I shouldn't give something 'that disgusting' even to a stray animal, but I think it turned out okay... I hope." She nervously handed me a warm mound of something wrapped in tinfoil.

I smiled. "I'm sure it's incredible. What is it, Temari?"

"Banana bread," she said. I could tell she was starting to think it was a bad idea. "Um, Sensei, never mind-- it's probably d--"

"Delicious? I'm sure it is. Please, you two, come have a bite with me," I invited. "Can you stay for a minute?"

"Sure," said Shikamaru. The two stepped inside and I led them to the kitchen.

"Sensei, you live alone, right?" asked Temari. "Don't you ever get lonely?"

"Of course," I answered honestly. "That's why it's so nice when students come to visit." I turned and smiled at them.

Temari and Shikamaru grinned. Shikamaru asked, "You've lived across the lake from me for four years, and I've never once seen a student visit. What do you mean?"

"To be honest with you," I said, a little embarrassed, "two have come in through the window, six have snuck in, and thirty-seven I've had to turn down because they wanted me to do things to them that would get me fired."

"So, are you saying--"

"Yeah, I actually only like it when normal students come to visit," I said, chuckling bashfully and rubbing the back of my neck. "But it adds a little excitement, but not in a good way. More in a 'OMIGOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY CLOSET' way."

I set the bread down on the cutting board and unwrapped the tinfoil. Overall, the bread looked okay, and it was only slightly burnt on the bottom. I sliced a piece for myself and Temari, then asked Shikamaru, "Reluctant boyfriend-- would you like a piece of banana bread?"

"No, it's okay," he said. "I''ve danced with death eating that bread."

"If you say so," I said, putting the two slices on saucers and coming over to the table, where the two had taken a seat.

I gave Temari her slice and said, "Enjoy." Then, I took a bite out of mine.

I could tell what Shikamaru meant right away. My eyes watered and I almost choked. But I swallowed, smiled at my student who was anxiously awaiting my response, and said, "Temari, would you mind making me some more bread? I will gladly eat anything you make for me."

Her face softened in relief. "Thank you, Sensei," she said. "Cookies are next."

I smiled again, and finished up my slice. Then, I went and got three more, then the rest of the loaf, devouring them without even flinching. I knew how important this was to her-- I couldn't let her down. With each slice I ate, I could see her getting happier and happier.

"Aren't you gonna try a bite of yours, Temari?" I questioned, hoping secretly she would say no.

"Sure," she said. "It must be okay..." She lifted the bread to her mouth--

--only to have it snatched away by Shikamaru and stuffed in his mouth. He chewed, swallowed quickly and said, "I wanted it. I'd thrown the last piece away, but I'm still hungry."

Temari's eyes were soft when she whispered, "Thank you."

I smiled and closed my eyes, knowing that Temari had made it with Shikamaru in mind. With that fact, and the addition of knowing how much love was put into that loaf of bread, it suddenly tasted a whole lot better.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Thanks for coming, you two," I said. "Can you get home okay?"

We stood in the back doorway of my patio, just by the hill on the lake. Temari and Shikamaru nodded, the former saying that they had the boat and the latter saying that it was only a short row.

As they were leaving, I grabbed Shikamaru's shoulder, leaned in, and murmured in his ear, "I bet you ate every last bite of that piece that you said you threw away, didn't you?"

He looked back at me and winked. "I won't lie to her; it sucked. That doesn't mean I won't eat anything my girlfriend makes me."

I smiled and jostled his shoulder a little. "Good boy," I said quietly. "Keep her around-- I promise good will come of it."

"I'm asking her to marry me in a couple of years," he said in a low voice. "I won't have anyone else."

"Go for it," I said, then sent him off with a light whack to the back of his head.

I exhaled in satisfaction as Shikamaru held Temari's hand to balance her as they went down the hill, then watched them row across the lake, making sure they were safe in going back to Shikamaru's house. Then, I went back inside, cleaning up the bread crumbs from the table and the floor.

That's when I noticed that someone had dropped a black leather wallet. It looked a little feminine, so I assumed it was Temari's. Just to make sure, though, to know who I would give it to the next day at school, I glanced inside for an ID of some sort.

Sure enough, there was Temari's smiling face looking at me from her driver's license. But something else caught my eye.

It was a huge mass of wallet-sized photos, all of them of students I knew. There were older photos near the beginning, such as Temari with Shikamaru in the summer of last year; Kiba Inuzuka and Hinata Hyuga standing with Temari; Neji Hyuga, Shikamaru, and Temari standing by the lake; and several others of their gang. Soon I found the most recent ones at the bottom. They were all from this school year. I saw Tenten and Ino, wearing coats, hats, scarves, and mittens, holding steaming hot chocolates outside of a fast food joint, looking up at the camera and smiling through the flurries of snow; Sai standing on a frozen pond and waving; Choji and Shikamaru, their arms over their stomachs, laughing about a maid costume that Rock Lee was sporting, posing in a seductive way; Rock Lee watering a cherry blossom tree in his yard; Tenten, having her cheek kissed by Neji, standing in the rain; and then, a large group picture.

I smiled to see them having such fun. It made me want to be a kid again. I continued to look.

The bottom five, I could tell, were the newest. The first was of Sakura and Naruto Uzumaki, the newcomer twins. Sakura had her arms wrapped around her brother's neck, and he was giving the camera a cheeky grin, a wink, and a peace sign.

I laughed, shaking my head.

The next one was of Naruto, Shikamaru, Neji, Choji, Sai, Lee, and Kiba. They were all at the fair, I noted.

The next picture was similar, only more intimate-- it was Sakura, in the middle of all the girls, their arms around each others' shoulders and waists.

The final two pictures were of the twins, separately. There was Naruto, a surprisingly gentle look on his face, just smiling. It was a side, a quiet side, that I bet he rarely showed anyone but those closest to him.

The last one was a candid shot of Sakura. She was laughing, her face an expression of pure bliss. Her eyes were shut, her face was flushed, and her hair swirled around her face.

I was captivated. There was such emotion in the picture. What could she have been laughing so joyfully about?

It was...beautiful.

I halted myself instantly.

Stop, I chided myself. She's your student. Get a grip, would you, Kenshin?!

But my eyes wandered back to the picture and I couldn't help but smile. This girl, this beautiful, lovely, breath-taking, wonderful girl, had somehow caught my attention. I didn't know how.

Suddenly, the phone rang. I walked over to it, holding the picture in my hand still, and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Sensei, I left my wallet at your house!" cried Temari's voice. "Could you bring it to me at school tomorrow?!"

"Of course, Temari," I said slowly, still looking at the picture.

"...Sensei, you there?"

"Oh, yeah, yeah. It's just, I saw these pictures in your wallet..." I said, pausing after a second.

"...She's pretty, isn't she?" said Temari after a moment.

I gasped. That perceptive child knew exactly which picture I was looking at.

"...Sensei, it's okay. Well, it's not okay, actually, because you're a teacher and she's your student. But, you like her, don't you, Sensei?"

"...Kind of," I said after a moment. "I...I don't know what to do, Temari. I just...I don't know. Something in the way she looks, acts, speaks, moves...everything about her is sucking me in."

"She's that kind of girl. I don't blame you, we all liked her right away." Temari's voice was starting to betray a smile in it.

"But...never mind." I was sort of ashamed-- confessing all this to a student, not to mention the friend of Sakura.

There was a moment's silence over the phone. Then, Temari said, "Sensei, I want you to have that picture."

I immediately protested, "No! I can't do that--"

"Sensei, that's an order."

I was a bit surprised at the authoritative tone in her voice, but then again, she seemed like an older sister figure: a guiding light, stern when she had to be, fierce to those who put down her loved ones, and secretly very gentle to those she cared for.

"...Thank you," I said quietly. "Good night, Temari. See you at school tomorrow."

"Good night," she said, hanging up. Slowly, I hung the phone up in its cradle and looked down at the picture again, conflicting emotions swirling around inside of me.

On one hand, there was a sort of attraction to her that I couldn't explain. I'd only known her for a few days, however, I could see the goodness in her, the positive attitude, the gentleness, and the kind of heart I liked. And, when we were on the ferris wheel together, she just seemed so gentle and kind-- I could sense this vulnerability and shyness from her, and I...I wanted to protect that. I wanted to hold that weak, small, blushing girl and tell her that she was safe.

On the other hand, there was the simple fact that I was her teacher. These illicit feelings I had would only bring sorrow to the both of us. I was nothing but her teacher, someone who she saw once a day, learned a lesson from, then forgot about on her way home. Not to mention, it was illegal. I could get in serious trouble.

But, at that moment, none of that mattered. I just felt the way I did. Whether or not it was temporary or long-term, I liked her, more than I could sense.

But one-sided emotions were cruel. They only flung the recipient around until they were weary and full of bitterness and contempt toward the other person. I didn't want to put her through that.

I vowed to myself silently that I would squash the feelings I had for this girl.

They're irrational, anyway, I tried to reassure myself. They're absolutely ridiculous. There's no logic to them.

But something hit me like a bolt of lightning. It was exactly what I was teaching in my class.

'Reason and love keep little company together these days.'

A Midsummer Night's Dream. Act three. Scene one. Line 132.

"The meaning of this line, class," I had explained on Thursday, the day before Sakura Uzumaki entered my life, "is that there is no rhyme or reason to love. Love isn't on purpose. 'Falling' in love is more like 'tripping, breaking your nose, and wondering what happened' into love. You never know who you'll fall in love with, or why, just that...well, you did."

I burst out laughing. "Good Lord. I've really made an example of myself, haven't I?"
End Notes:
Please comment-- how did I do with this? Should I change it?
Naruto and Sasuke by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
:)
This is the chapter you SasuNaru fans have been waiting for...just kidding. But it's still SasuNaru.
NARUTO

The next day at lunch, Tenten slammed her fist down on the table and leaned in, saying dramatically, "You know what time of year it is, right?"

Ino then slammed her hand down and leaned in as well, also saying very theatrically, "It's that time of year that everyone looks forward to."

Kiba leaned back in his seat and put his hands behind his head, saying, "The time where guys are proud to call their girlfriends their girlfriends."

Choji added, popping a few chips in his mouth, "And the time when those who don't have girlfriends woo the girls of their choice."

"And it's the chance to look our very best, and get the best tan of the year," Temari said, grinning and can-can kicking an already tan leg into the air.

"And the time of year when you can relax for a whole five days without going to school," said Shikamaru, eating a disgusting-looking piece of bread.

"So...do you two know what time of year it it?" asked Lee, turning to me and Sakura expectantly.

"...Spring break?" asked Sakura, unsure.

"Good guess, but not quite. Here in Konoha, this takes the place of spring break: it's the school field trip to the beach!" said Tenten excitedly, her hands clenching into fists and shaking up and down.

I blinked. "Eh?"

"This is the time of year when the school goes to different places for a week-long field trip!" said Hinata. "It's so much fun, and you get to hang out with your friends! This year we're going to Konoha beach and staying in a hotel."

Sakura and I looked at each other. I was pretty psyched, but instantly I saw the sudden fear in her eyes.

Sakura hated wearing swim suits. Bikinis were the absolute worst. She always ended up wearing what looked like a surfing suit, in a bikini form. It covered the top half of her back, and then had a bikini bottom. It was difficult to describe, but it looked good on her.

She didn't think it did. She wanted to wear a bikini, I knew that. But she was too self conscious of the pink line that had carved its way across her upper back.

I looked away, guilty, and said, "O-Our old school never did stuff like that."

"Really? Well, it's gonna be a blast, just you wait and see," promised Kiba. I looked up and smiled. Next to him, Ino was staring at me.

I questioned her with my eyes, asking what she was staring at me for, silently.

She merely said, "Oh! I have to give something to the office. Will someone come with me?"

"Sure," I said, getting up. "I need to stop at my locker any way."

"See you in a few," Ino said, and the friends at our table waved.

Ino didn't say anything to me, even as we had left the cafeteria, and continued to stay taciturn even as we walked. When we finally got into the freshman locker area, she turned to me, asking, "Naruto, I've been meaning to bring something up with you: what happened in the science lab the other day?"

I froze. "Uh...nothing, really. Ino, it's not a big deal."

"It is! You hurt Sakura-- she was upset about it, I could tell," Ino protested, almost glaring at me. "What did you do?!"

"Nothing, okay? Sasuke and I just got into a fight," I said, hesitatingly and wondering if I should give details.

She waited sarcastically, drumming her fingers on her crossed arms.

I exhaled, giving in.

"There's a scar that stretches from Sakura's right shoulder to the other side of her back," I said.

Ino's fingers stopped drumming and she stared. "...What?"

"It's there, causing her shame, because of me," I continued, closing my eyes.

Stunned silence from Ino. I could almost hear her surprise, shocked into being completely dumbstruck. It was like, "!!!"

I swallowed quietly. "It's because...when we were kids, I did something stupid, and I had no idea it would cause her such humiliation and disgrace at the flaw on her back. Sakura...she has a lot of pride, and she takes pride in always trying to put out her best self, best appearance, best personality. But... I ruined that for her."

"What happened?" asked Ino quietly, appalled.

"We were ten, and we were fighting. It was the worst fight of our lives, and I only remember a little bit of what it was about. I...cut her. I don't know now why I acted so rashly, but I was so angry, I just wanted to do something about it. I grabbed the sword from the fireplace mantle, and was about to just swing it down to stab it into the floor, but I slipped. It carved straight across her back, and the next thing I knew, she was on the ground and she was screaming for me to call someone." I heaved a long, weary sigh. "At first, all I could do was scream apologies at her. 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry,' I kept repeating, but she shrieked that if I didn't call an ambulance, then she was going to die. She was the only one grasping the situation totally clearly, and I, the one at fault, wasn't doing anything to save her."

Ino's eyes were enormous as she stared at me, mouth hanging open slightly. "Naruto, you..."

"I know, I know, I did something awful--"

"...you carried that guilt all this time?"

That was not what I was expecting. Surprised, I just nodded.

"Naruto...does Sakura forgive you for what happened?"

I nodded. "She...forgave me a long time ago."

"Then Naruto, please forgive yourself," said Ino, looking at me with sad eyes.

I grimaced. "Ino, that's a lot simpler than it sounds. My sister is the most important person in the world to me, and the fact that I hurt her so gravely hurts me just as much. My stupid actions had repercussions I would never have dreamed of, and now, I have ruined her life! She wants to be a normal girl who can wear bikinis and tank tops and strapless dresses and backless shirts, but she can't, all because of me! If I could somehow pay the price for her happiness and take the scars for her, I would!"

I pulled up my pant leg a little, revealing a series of scratches. "I've taken so many other injuries for her! This is from out trip to India, when a monkey scratched my because I put myself in front of her. Nothing big, but it's left a scar there."

I pulled up my sleeve a little, revealing my shoulder, which had a large shiny splotch on it. "A burn that she would have gotten if I hadn't stood in her way!"

Ino was biting her lip.

"And look at this! Another example!" I stick out my tongue. There were teeth marks in it. "I bit my tongue straight through one time when I caught her as she fell from a tree I broke my wrist, foot, leg, and jaw, too! Ino, all of these things I don't care about, they're just blemishes I have to live with, for my sister's sake." I felt my eyes were filling up a little. I stood, my back facing Ino, and looked out the window, the back of my hand wiping away a stray tear on my cheek.

"But, dammit! I couldn't take that fall that she would've have most wanted to be freed from! It's lonely to know that she's suffering on her own! It's so damn lonely!" I cried through clenched teeth.

Ino exhaled and slowly walked back to the cafeteria. "I'm so sorry, Naruto."

I just covered my eyes with my hand and hung my head, the tears spilling out silently. I didn't move. I didn't shake, or stir, or even breathe.

"Dobe," said a voice, coming out of nowhere.

I quickly turned angrily, looking over my shoulder behind me.

Sasuke Uchiha stood there, his hands in his pockets, gazing at me quietly, and rocking back and forth on his heels. One eyebrow was raised as he stared, his chin dropped ever so slightly.

"Dobe, are you coming back to lunch?" he asked me. "Your sister's worried about'ya."

I sighed, shaking my head. "Tell her...I'm...I'm ditching the rest of the day, okay?"

Sasuke was quiet for a second, then said something completely unexpected. "Dobe, if I tell her, would you let me come?"

"Eh?! Are you serious, teme?!" I asked, scoffing. "You're kidding, right?"

Sasuke looked up at me, his chin even lower than before. It was sort of cute, almost like a girl pleading with her boyfriend to buy her a diamond necklace.

"Please, dobe?"

I scowled. "You're driving."

Sasuke grinned in that devious way that made me almost shiver. I loved and hated that smile.

"Be right back," he said, walking off.

It was only after he was gone that I mentally slapped myself. "Idiot!" I hissed. "What the hell?! You're letting that jerk come with you? He'll ruin your whole time!"

Sasuke came jogging back, the silver dog tags around his neck clinking against the tight black tee that he wore. I couldn't help but notice that it looked good on him, the cotton close-fitting enough to show that he had hard abs and muscular shoulders.

I wanted to reach out and touch those shoulders.

I immediately mentally slapped myself again, much harder this time. "Get a grip," I muttered under my breath.

Sasuke was grinning again. "You should've seen the look on your sister's face when I whispered in her ear that you and I were skipping. She gave me this half-horrified, half-cracking up sort of glare that looks totally like an expression you'd have on your face!" he cried, and I could hear laughter in the back reaches of his voice.

"And? What did everyone else think?" I asked, a little sardonically. "I mean, you told them 'Naruto and I are skipping', right?"

"Oh no, I'd never be that obvious, dobe. I just used flash language with them," he said, coming to a stop in front of me. "I've gotta teach you and your sister our flash language."

"Flash language?" I asked, as we headed toward the door.

"Yeah, you know," he said, opening it. We ran into the parking lot, and he pointed a little ways off a black Saturn Sky.

"No, I don't," I said, getting into the passenger seat and buckling my seatbelt. He swung his way into the front seat and slammed the door.

"Flash language is basically code used between friends that says one thing but means another. For instance, when I told everyone we were ditching, I merely had to tell them, 'I'm going racing with dobe' because whenever I'd skip school, I'd be motorcycle racing with my brother, Itachi. Ha, that just became our signal."

I blinked in surprise. "Sure, okay."

Sasuke gave me that grin and then started the car. When he did, the CD player lit up and the music started playing.

Sasuke quickly turned it off, but not before I had heard it.

"...Piano music?" I asked, stunned. "George Winston, no less!"

To my intense surprise, a flush of color rushed up to Sasuke's pale cheeks and his hands gripped the steering wheel a little harder.

"...I love the piano," he said quietly, as we pulled out of the school parking lot.

I smiled. "You and my sister both. She has the craziest taste in music: she loves piano, all the new age and classical stuff, and then she loves heavy metal. I don't know where she gets it from-- I myself and just your average rock-and-roll fan."

Sasuke glanced over at me, his dark eyes flicking in my direction, and then back at the road. "Your sister is a nice girl."

I smiled again. "Isn't she? Sometimes I think--"

"You're nice too, Naruto," he continued, making me halt mid-sentence.

I stared at the glove box for a second, then looked over at him. "I wasn't really expecting that," I said after a moment.

He looked over at me as well, then burst out laughing. "Never have expectations when it comes to me, dobe." He smiled, still chuckling.

I shook my head. This guy...he had me on the edge, wondering what he was going to say next.

"So, dobe...what did you tell Ino?"

I said quietly, "I told her the story about what you asked me the other day."

"Ah. You wanna tell me about it?" He never took his eyes off the road.

Softly, I told him the same exact thing that I told Ino.

He was quiet for a second,then asked a perfectly logical question: "What were doing with a sword lying on the mantle?"

I blinked, once again surprised by his unexpectedness. "Uh...I guess it's there for decoration. You know how that kind of thing is."

"Ah, okay," he said, nodding. Without my noticing, he had pulled into a parking lot to a lakeside park. There was no one there.

I got out of the car and walked over to the swing set, getting on and pumping my legs to make myself swing. Sasuke followed and just sat on the swing.

"So," I said, dragging my feet to come face to face with him, "how did you know about my sister's scar in the first place?"

"I saw it. I didn't mean to, to be honest, but I did. It was the shirt she was wearing. She probably didn't know it, but to someone who knows what scars look like, it was obvious. To anyone else, it might've looked like some weird sunburn." He held up his hand, where that small scar going across it was. "You wanna know what happened with this? I tried to climb over a barbed-wire fence. Pretty stupid of me, huh?"

"No, I've tried doing that before, too," I said. "But, why did you ask me about it during class?"

"Because...I knew it would make you talk. And...I wanted to talk to you."

I was silent. Then, I started to laugh.

"Ha ha ha! Really?!" I demanded, laughing until I shook. "See, it's the strangest thing-- I can't stand you!"

"That's awfully nice of you to say," Sasuke muttered, kicking some mulch with his foot.

"No, no, don't get me wrong-- I only disliked you because I thought you disliked me," I explained.

"I did," he confessed. "But...I realized you're not that bad. You kinda remind me of my brother."

"Well, if that's a compliment, thank you," I said, still chuckling. "You're not that bad yourself, but we got started out on the wrong foot, I think."

Sasuke was still staring at the ground, the toe of his shoe making markings on the mulch. "You wanna start over?"

I exhaled, smiling. "Hi. I'm Naruto Uzumaki and I'm gonna be the weirdest guy you'll ever know."

"Hey, I'm Sasuke Uchiha...and I think you're a dobe."
End Notes:
The last line and "I wanted to talk to you" are my favorite lines.
Truth by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
There's a reason I chose the name "Kenshin." You'll see... :)
Also, parents can either be a help or a hinderance to a story. They're hard for me to work with... *sweatdrop*
Also, sorry about how thoughts aren't italicized or anything...my computer's being a jerk...
SAKURA

I was the first one in Jiraya-sensei's classroom that afternoon. It was the last class of the day, so I was eager to get it over with.

No one else was in the classroom. I assumed that Jiraya-sensei was making copies of the quiz we were taking today or something, so i sat down and waited quietly.

That's when that boy came in. The one who knew so much about me.

"S-Sakura!" he cried, a flush coming up to his cheeks.

I smiled awkwardly. "Uh, hi...sorry, I've forgotten your name..."

"R-Ryu! Ryu Takashi!" he cried. "I really like you!"

"Ah, yes, now I remember you..." I said, disliking this situation. I knew by now that everyone came into their last period class at the very last minute, seconds before the bell rang. It was routine for these students. I glanced at the clock.

Geh. I still had another four minutes with this guy.

"W-Would you like a back massage?" asked Ryu, suddenly standing next to me.

I stood, abruptly, and backed off a little. "Uh, thanks but I'll pass," I said, a little nervously.

"But-- you love back massages, don't you?" he said, putting his hands on the desk and leaning forward to look at me straight in the face.

"I-- uh," I stuttered, unsure of what to say. He was right, of course, but how he knew was a mystery to me.

"Don't you?" he questioned again.

My back was pressed against the wall now. I didn't like this. Not one bit.

"I do, but--" I began, only to see him reach out at me.

I flinched, closing my eyes.

"Hey, Takashi," said a familiar voice. "I don't think you should be doing that."

"S-Sensei!" Ryu said, almost angrily.

I opened my eyes. Arisaka-sensei stood there, scowling, his arms crossed.

"If you're going to pursue Miss Uzumaki, then I suggest you do it some other time, not before class," Sensei said darkly, tugging on the back of Ryu's shirt and pulling him away from me.

"Whatever," muttered Ryu, heading out into the hallway, his face red.

I exhaled slowly, then walked back to my seat.

"Are you all right?" asked Arisaka-sensei.

"Oh-- yeah, I'm just fine," I said, smiling. But I could tell that it was an uneasy smile, especially from the look of concern on his face.

Wait-- the look of concern? Why does he care? He must see this every day-- we're high school students after all, hormones running wild... I wondered. I pushed the idea of jealousy from my mind and thought, It must've just annoyed him.

"Really, Sensei, please don't get worked up over it," I said.

He just looked at me, then smiled that smile. That smile that I couldn't stand.

Why do you dislike that smile anyway? It seems perfectly harmless, I asked myself. Most of the girls in the school have fallen in love with that smile.

I couldn't figure it out. It was gentle and kind, but there was something too innocent about it. It was like he was hiding something.

"You smile like that, but I can't tell what you're thinking," I said to him.

He looked over his shoulder at me, surprised. "Huh?"

"Change it!" I teased. "I don't wish to ever see it again, that ambiguous smile of yours."

"And how would you like me to accomplish that, Princess?" he asked me, grinning.

I felt my face get warm. He'd called me "Princess."

Why are you getting so worked up over that, you silly girl? I rebuked myself. He's kidding around. You don't like him. You're different from other girls.

I just smiled, trying to recover. "No-- a good princess would let her subjects smile however they wanted, because she would want those smiles to be because they were happy, right?"

Sensei nodded. "That sounds like a good princess to me."

I looked down at my desk, shy for no reason.

That's about when the crowd started flooding in, just as the bell rang.

Tenten sat down next to me, and suddenly leaned in, whispering, "He called you 'Princess.' Princess Sakura."

I blushed madly, my head jerking up and whipping around to look at her.

She dimpled at me. "You sly dog. You're lucky there are no fan girls in this class."

"Ah...ah...um...uh...!"

"Oh, come on. It was kind of cute. I'm jealous-- I've always wanted a guy to call me 'Princess.' Neji only calls me 'Tenten' or 'Tenten, honey'. Sometimes, he calls me 'Goddess,' but that's only on very special occasions or when he wants to see me blush."

"Shut up," I whispered, embarrassed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Neji, do you really call Tenten 'Goddess'?" I asked him after class. Our lockers were right next to each other's.

"Aw man, did she tell you that?" he said. "...Yeah. But only on special occasions or when I want to see her blush."

So it's true, I thought. "That's kinda cute."

"Whatever," he replied, his face starting to turn red. He grabbed his backpack and walked away quickly. I was surprised. This was extraordinarily out of character for him. I grabbed my backpack as well and followed him, curious.

"Wow...you're a different kind of guy when it comes to Tenten, aren't you?" I asked, leaning forward to see his face.

He was staring straight ahead, his pale eyes fixed straight. "Maybe."

"You're not being honest with me."

"Okay, yes."

"Ha ha ha! I knew it."

"Aren't you hitching a ride with Temari?" he asked, embarrassed.

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" I asked, going into teasing mode.

"Maybe."

"You're not being honest with me!"

"Yeah, I am trying to get rid of you, and if I have to carry you to Temari myself, then so help me, I will," he told me seriously, but I could see him hiding a smile.

"It's a good thing we're headed to the same parking lot," I said, grinning evilly. "We get to walk there together! Now, let's talk about Tenten..."

"Lord, give me strength," was all Neji said.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Temari and I ended up going to Shikamaru's house to study.

Oh, did I say to study? I meant to "study."

"Are you serious? I would never go to Shikamaru's house to study!" Temari said, scoffing. "Are you serious?"

"Ah, would you rather not have me there, then?" I asked, feeling uncomfortable.

"Get your mind out of the gutter. Normal couples say that they're 'studying' and are doing something slutty. Shikamaru and I are above all that." Temari sounded rather proud of herself.

"You sound like a married woman," I observed.

"I feel like a married woman, with all the time I spend with that idiot."

She pulled into Shikamaru's driveway. I noticed that he had gotten home before his girlfriend had.

"You...didn't leave at the same time?" I asked.

"He had a dentist's appointment," she explained, parking and unbuckling her seatbelt.

"Oh," I said, getting out as well.

While I would have rang the doorbell at my boyfriend's house, no matter how close we were, Temari just marched right in like it was her house.

"Hello, Temari," said a woman who was standing near the door, putting on a pair of heels, without even blinking.

"Hey, Mrs. Nara," said Temari. "Headed out?"

"Yes. I've got a meeting," said Mrs. Nara. She then noticed me, and gave me a once-over. "Your friend, Temari?"

"And Shikamaru's," said Temari. "This is Sakura Uzumaki."

"How do you do," I said, holding out my hand.

Mrs. Nara shook it. I noticed what a firm grip she had. With her other hand, she suddenly held my face, turning it one way and then the other.

"You're very pretty," she said after a moment. "What nice cheekbones. Your color is very fair...and how do maintain such clear skin?" She didn't give me time to answer as she moved on. "Eyes are a nice shade of green-- they're a lot like my husband's. Let's see...good nose, too. I'll guess it's your favorite part of your face? Lips are full, that's good. Your hair...you should wear it up sometime, I think that would look nice. Yes, you'll do."

Do for what? I wondered, feeling a little uncomfortable.

Mrs. Nara's stern face finally softened a little in a smile. "Yes, then. Well, I must go. I'll be home at ten-thirty; if you're still around I'll tell you about it. My husband gets home at eight tonight, not nine, and there's a ham in the fridge if you'd like to stay for dinner. Make sure Shikamaru doesn't do anything stupid."

With that, she walked out the door, giving us a quick wave goodbye.

"Shikamaru! I'm here!" Temari called. "Where are you?"

No answer.

Temari crossed her arms, thinking. "Hmm. He's probably out on the lake...okay, come on."

I followed her down a stairway that led to a glass French door. She opened it and we stepped out onto the porch where the pool was.

"Shikamaaaaaaruuuuuuu!" she called.

"Temari! Down at the lake!" Shikamaru's voice came.

She and I walked down a hill to the lake, where Shikamaru was in a boat, fishing.

"Hey, Shikamaru! I brought Sakura!" Temari yelled, gesturing toward me. I waved.

"Here I come!" Shikamaru started to row back to us. Temari shrugged her backpack from her shoulders and pulled from it a tinfoil-wrapped package.

"What's that?" I asked.

"I'm dropping off some cookies at Arisaka-sensei's house," she said.

"...Did I hear you correctly?" I asked, the flush rising to my face again.

Shikamaru and the boat were at the shore now, and Temari got in. She turned back to look at me. "You coming?"

She was serious. I felt a little shy, but my curiosity was overpowering. I wasn't sure why I cared, but I wanted to see what the environment that he lived in was.

I slapped my cheeks to rid myself of the blush. "Get a grip, Sakura," I whispered to myself.

I got in the boat, and Shikamaru rowed us across. Clouds were gathering overhead, and it was abnormally dark for 3:30. I realized that it was going to be the first storm Naruto and I had seen here in Konoha.

The first thing I noticed about Sensei's house was that it was huge. Absolutely enormous.

"Does he live alone?" I asked.

Temari nodded. "He doesn't let on much, but I think he's very sad being in that house all alone."

I felt a pang of sadness. Something inside me wanted Sensei to be happy.

I instantly felt ridiculous. What? That's like a child's sentiment.

Shikamaru tied the boat to a tree stump, then lifted his girlfriend out of the boat. It was kind of cute, and I felt embarrassed suddenly for intruding. Was I intruding?

Shikamaru held out a hand to me, but I declined politely and just jumped out.

We walked up the hill to Sensei's house. My eye was drawn to a light that suddenly went on, more noticeable because of the dark sky.

Sensei was standing at the window, which was closed. He opened it a little bit, and then drew back from it.

I realized with a bit of surprise that I did the same thing right before a storm: letting the smell and the feel of the rainy air in through an open window.

We reached Sensei's front door and Temari rang the doorbell. Without thinking, I asked, "Wait-- isn't it illegal for students to go in teacher's houses or something?"

"...No..." said Temari slowly, thinking about it. "I don't think so. I mean, we're not doing anything suspicious. Now, if I were in a relationship with Sensei, which I'm not, and I were sneaking in through his window to make out with my teacher-boyfriend, which I'm now, then it would be illegal."

The door opened and Sensei stood there, wearing...normal clothes. Well-- normal jeans. His shirt was off, revealing a nicely sculpted stomach. I blushed.

"Oh, sorry, guys. I thought you were my older brother-- he's coming to stay with me for a while," Sensei said, blushing and quickly pulling on a gray tee shirt. "Come on in."

"Thanks," said Shikamaru, while Temari said, "It's fine, Shikamaru takes his shirt off all the time. I'm used to it."

I thought suddenly that Temari might've been implying something, but I quickly dashed the thought from my mind, knowing she most likely meant nothing.

I stepped inside, marveling at the beautiful house. Everything looked polished to a perfect shine, like no one really lived there.

He's...tidy, I thought.

"So, we have Temari, Shikamaru and...Princess?" said Sensei, ending the sentence with a surprised tone. "Now, I wasn't expecting being graced by the presence of her ladyship. What gives?"

I blushed furiously and looked to the side, mumbling, "I tagged along." Why I was embarrassed, I wasn't entirely sure.

"It's an honor, Princess," he said, smiling that stupid smile.

It's not stupid, a sudden voice in my head told me, point-blank.

Temari's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Sensei, I made you cookies this time," she said, holding out the tinfoil package.

Sensei gently unwrapped them, smiled, and popped one in his mouth. He chewed, swallowed, and grinned. "Delicious! Mind if I eat the rest? Or would you like one?"

"No thanks, I ate some Chinese food at school earlier and I'm still full from that," Temari said. I, however, reached over and took one, taking a bite.

My eyes watered, and my tongue almost exploded in protest. It was awful. I had no idea cooking could be this bad.

That's when I realized something. I realized how kind my English teacher was. He willingly ate this stuff.

Something about that made my heart swell and a warm feeling rise inside of me. I ate the cookie, then grabbed another. "Would you mind making me some more?" I asked Temari. I couldn't let her down. Not after everything she'd done for me.

She nodded, her face melting into a soft smile.

I chuckled. "It warms the heart to watch someone eating your cooking, doesn't it?" I asked her. "When I was young, I would make cookies just so I could watch Naruto stuff himself silly."

I happened to glance over at Sensei just then.

The look on his face stopped me in my tracks.

I couldn't describe it, even to myself in my mind. This unfathomable expression... kind and gentle. His eyes were soft and sad, and full of an emotion I just couldn't recognize. He said quietly, "Good...aren't they?"

He knew. He knew that I'd lied to Temari about the cookies. He knew what I was thinking, that I had to save her pride and feelings. Just as I knew that he had saved them. But something on his face told me that he wasn't lying...he was enjoying them. He liked something about them.

I realized that the love and time and effort Temari put into these made the cookies taste a whole lot better. While they were still awful, it made it worth it to eat them.

Sensei must have realized my revelation, because he exhaled softly and looked down at the cookies, taking yet another.

I just looked away, my face turning red. I couldn't get ahold on myself, and I noticed that my heart was pounding so hard I could feel it in my ears and temples.

I was provided a nice distraction at that moment: there was a bright flash and then a loud boom. It shook the windows, causing us all to jump in surprise.

Yet another distraction: there was a loud knock at the door.

"That must be my brother," said Sensei, rushing to the door.

I quickly turned away from Temari and Shikamaru, hiding my blush by looking out the window. It was pouring down rain so hard that I could barely see outside for all the water streaming down the window.

I both hoped and desperately wished that Princess wasn't my new nickname.

"Oh! Yuki, glad you made it okay," Kenshin's voice came from around the corner.

"Naturally," said another voice. There were footsteps, and then the two walked back to us.

I was completely blown away by how alike they looked. It was like someone had taken Sensei and made him five years older.

Yuki Arisaka had the same brown hair as his younger brother, curling around his face and swept into a graceful ponytail. He had deep gray eyes that looked at the three of us as we stood, staring. He was a little taller than Kenshin, and he carried himself like a prince.

That was the difference, I realized. Yuki had a regality that his brother, while he had it, didn't act upon. There was the natural grace they shared, but Yuki used it to the maximum-- his motions and gait sweeping and flowing with ease.

"Who are these young ones?" asked Yuki.

"My students just came over to drop something off. This is Shikamaru Nara-- he lives right across the lake from me," Sensei said. "This is his girlfriend Temari, and this is another student of mine, Sakura Uzumaki."

"Nice to meet all of you," Yuki said.

"You guys, this is my brother Nobuyuki," said Sensei.

"Nobuyuki? I thought your name was just Yuki," I said without thinking.

"No-- my brother and I were named for truth because our mother values that above all things. 'Nobuyuki' means 'truth and happiness'," said Yuki, looking over at me.

"Then, what does Kenshin mean?" asked Temari.

I had to admit, I was also curious.

Sensei turned a little red as he looked away from us and put a hand on the back of his neck bashfully. "It's nothing, really--"

"Modest truth," his brother interrupted. "Kenshin's name means 'modest truth.' Fits him, doesn't it?"

Sensei's cheeks were red and he continued staring away from us. "Shut up, Yuki," he muttered. "I'm embarrassed about it, so stop talking."

"Why be humiliated? I...I like it!" I burst out, then instantly recoiled in shame. Why had I said something so ridiculous?!

Sensei looked over at me with a surprised look. Then he smiled. "It's times like that when I fell proud of my name. Thank you...Sakura."

I felt the back of my hand sort of cover my mouth as I looked down, angry with myself for being so embarrassed and furious with myself for blushing. "Temari, Shikamaru... I'm ready to go back," I muttered.

"It's raining," said Temari incredulously. "You wanna row back across the lake in that?!"

"If you're not, I am," I said, quickly going outside. I looked back over my shoulder and saw that Sensei had a surprised and hurt look on his face. It made my chest ache.

The rain pelted on me, so intense that it could have been that I was being hit with tiny weights instead. I ran down to the boat, almost slipping, and got in. Temari and Shikamaru followed, Temari now wearing Shikamaru's hoodie.

I felt bad. I felt bad for rushing out like that. I didn't want Sensei to have that expression on his face. Now he did, and it was al my fault.

I didn't know why I was crying, either. But I felt so sad...and at the same time, so happy. Sensei's face kept flashing through my mind and so did his words, along with that smile I hated and the look of sadness that crossed his face as I left without warning.

At least there was rain to hide my tears. I thanked the rain for at least saving that little bit of pride I still had left. I didn't want Shikamaru and Temari to see that I was upset.

Sensei smiled at me in my mind.

I covered my eyes with my hand.

Stop making that face at me, Sensei...
End Notes:
Does anyone read Tsubasa Chronicles? Or watch it? Or both? Because I totally need to rant at someone all about KuroFai and Kruogane and Clone Syaoran and Real Syaoran and Fai and Yui and how Yui is Fai and Fai isn't really Fai!!!!! And I need to tell someone about Sakura going into the dreams and how I hate the way the whole story is turning out!!!
ARRRRRRRRAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
That reminds me, has anyone seen my AMVs?
I have two Inuyasha ones and a Bleach one. Anyone like Inuyasha and Bleach? I do-- i love them. I really like the music in Inuyasha...
But the music in Tsubasa Chronicles is sooooo good! And it's a female composer-- you don't get that many nowadays.
I'll probably be posting a page up on my blog with all the Tsubasa music... oh, that's right, you can visit my blog, it's got a ton of anime/manga stuff and a SasuNaru page. (Yes, believe it or not.)
Here's the link:
animemangafangirl.wordpress.com
And for my AMVs, if you want to watch them, type in "ebeandzero" (without the quotes, obviously) and you'll see...four things pop up? I think it's four-- three videos and a playlist. Yeah, the videos are mine. Enjoy!!!!!!!
Don't forget to review this chapter!
The Warmth That Slipped From His Palm (aka Every Second Counts When I Am With You) by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
I'm throwing you guys a curveball! By the way...the song used in here is "Every Little Counts" by New Order. It became famous because the singer starts cracking up when he's singing. Listen to the song-- it's good. And it's a pretty good SasuNaru song.
Kisses,
Sarah-hime
NARUTO

"...I don't think I understand where we are," I said. I glanced at my watch. It was about 4-- I would've gotten out of school an hour ago.

All day Sasuke had led me on a wild goose chase doing the most random of things-- stuffing me full of various foods from different restaurants until I felt ill, then taking me to a lake, here he rowed and waited to see if I'd get motion sick, and now we were at...

"What is this?" I questioned, glancing over at the raven-haired boy who stood beside me. We stood in front of what appeared to be a street-corner high-end pub or bar. The neon-lit sign read "Meroko's: Open Mon.-Thurs. from 10-10, Fri., Sat. Sun. from 12-12."

"You'll see," he said, pulling me inside a back door of the building.

"W-- Sasuke!" I cried as he just grabbed my sleeve and pulled me inside.

"Sasuke, you're here! The crowd is waiting for you," said a woman as soon as we got in. "Who's the little blond?"

"My friend Naruto," Sasuke replied before I could answer.

I was his friend?

"Well, whatever. Okay, you'll just have to wear what you've got on...they love you so much, they're not gonna care," she said, looking at Sasuke up and down. She straightened his shirt a little and mussed his hair.

"Thank you, Meroko," he said. He looked at me, then asked Meroko, "Will you put him at a table? If he gets anything, you can put in on my tab, mm'kay?"

"Sure thing. You're on in five," Meroko said to him, tucking a red lock behind her ear. "God, Sasuke, can't you come earlier? I'm always terrified that you're not gonna show up!" she fussed, putting her face in her hands. "I'm your freaking manager. Can't you be a little nicer to me?!"

"Meroko, you know you're like my sister...I live to make you stressed." Sasuke rubbed her head affectionately.

"I'm gonna fire you someday. Scratch that. You bring in too many customers." Meroko wilted, then straightened her black top.

Sasuke's manager reminded me of my sister: a little fussy, with light red hair in a short, choppy hairstyle, dark green eyes and a tall, slender frame. She had a splattering of freckles across her nose and wore half-rim glasses. She wore a black top that I knew my sister would really like: it was black and had a little lace peeking out at the V-neck.

"Where did you get that top?" I asked. "My sister would really like that."

Meroko blinked in surprise, then said, "I got it at Keiko's."

I branded the name into my mind, wanting to go there to get that shirt for Sis. It would be her birthday present.

With surprise, I realized that was ten days away.

"Okay, come on...what's your name?" Meroko asked me.

"N-Naruto," I said after a moment.

Meroko smiled at me. "Okay, Naruto, I'll get you a good seat, okay? And first order's on the house."

"Thanks," I said, wondering what she meant by drink. How old did she think I was? And who drank at 4 in the afternoon?

"I realize that you're underage," she said, as if she read my mind. "Hey, I have a liquor license on this place, so if you drink anything, I'll get in trouble. So I'll give you a nonalcoholic martini. That sound good to you?"

"Sure thing," I said, sitting down at the table that she led me to. It was a two person table, lit by a candle. The whole place was sort of dimly-lit, and had a really nice feel to it.

I suddenly heard applauding, and Sasuke stepped onto the stage that was in front of me.

I was stunned. What?! What was he doing?!

I heard a bass guitar and cymbals, and suddenly, Sasuke started singing, in a soft sort of voice that went nicely with the quiet atmosphere of the song.

"Every second counts, when I am with you," he began, and I almost groaned aloud. A love song singer in a bar? I absentmindedly starting twisting a fork between my fingers, sinking into boredom.

"I think you are a pig, you should be in a zoo," Sasuke suddenly sang, and I dropped the fork.

Sasuke looked down from the microphone at me and winked, grinning and sort of giggling softly when he sang. I never realized how beautiful his voice was.

Meroko appeared with my drink, and whispered, "Do you see why I keep that punk around? He sings like I've never heard."

I nodded, and stared, transfixed up at him.

"Every second counts, when I am with you."

A cello suddenly started playing. It had a nice, staccato sort of sound. Sasuke started bobbing his head slightly, and tapping his foot quietly.

"Every little counts, when I am with you. You make me feel so good, I never felt so new. I saw you long ago, though you never let it show..."

I sipped my apple martini (nonalcoholic-- thank you, Meroko) and stared up at the boy on stage that I, once upon a time, couldn't stand. Now, I could bear him-- he wasn't so bad, and was constantly surprising me.

"Every second counts, when I am with you. Even though you're stupid, I still follow you." Sasuke looked down at me as he was singing, making a strange warmness rise to my face. "The smile on your face, it always stays in place. Every second counts, when I am with you. Every second counts, when I am with you. Every second counts..." The music went on a little bit, and then finally came to a close.

I exhaled, laughing quietly, then applauded with the rest of the crowd. Sasuke gave a little bow, stepping back from the mic, and grinned in his little-devil way.

He finally sauntered back up to the mic and said, "Thanks, guys. Hey, I can see the usual faces out there...thanks for coming back and seeing a punk kid like me. I can't believe you can bear to listen to me..." He rubbed the back of his neck a little bashfully and laughed.

The crowd chuckled, and I knew instantly: they came here for Sasuke.

I shook my head in amazement. Would he never cease to amaze me? This had come as quite a shock-- what was next? Was Sasuke also an undercover agent working for the CIA?

Sasuke said, "I'm gonna have a drink with me friend, then I'll be back up for a couple more songs."

His friend. He'd called me his friend again.

Sasuke hopped down from stage in a very professional and still "punk kid" way, and then pulled the chair back from the table, plonking down in the seat.

"So, dobe? What's the verdict?" he asked me, waving at Meroko. She started preparing a drink.

"Uh...I'm stunned?" I said, laughing a little, and sipping my drink. "You're crazy-- in the evening you're singing goofy-sounding love songs-- if you can call them that-- in a nice bar, and at school you're just a troublemaker who's breaking girls' hearts. Living a double-life is dangerous!"

He laughed. "You say the stupidest things sometimes. I chose to share this secret with you, so don't go flaunting it and telling everyone."

I nodded. "I'll take it to the grave, teme."

"Still calling me that?"

"You're still calling me dobe!" I cried, grinning.

"Aw, come on, Naruto-- I say it outta love!"

"You're too kind, teme," I said, then mentally stopped myself. What was I doing? I checked my drink. No alcohol...

So why was I flirting with him?

No, I wasn't "flirting" with him. No, I wasn't. I was not. I absolutely was not. I was just...joking around with him. Right? Right. Right!

"Naruto? You suddenly got all quiet," Sasuke said.

"Sorry, just lost in thought," I said, smiling easily.

Sasuke was tapping his fingers anxiously. "Where's myyyyy drink?" he complained. "Mero's taking so long..."

I wondered suddenly if he was lying about how he didn't like girls. He and "Mero" seemed to get along well enough...

Once again, I mentally halted myself. What the hell, Naruto?! Are you jealous? No, you're not!

My hand was on the stem of my martini glass when Sasuke suddenly wrapped his hand around it. "Hey, gimme some of yours," he said, not even noticing the way is hand closed gently around mine, the way his skin felt warm, the way my hand fit snugly under his grip.

Or, at least, he didn't notice it the way I did.

I looked down. My face was red, but I didn't know why.

Sasuke, his hand still around mine, took a gulp from the glass.

"Hey, you don't gulp martinis," I said. "You sip them."

Sasuke's dark eyes looked at me over the rim of the cup. "Are you telling me how to drink, dobe?"

A thought suddenly flew randomly through my mind. It was so strange that I didn't even have time to ponder where the hell it came from, or punish myself for thinking something so strange.

He looks sexy, I thought.

"And if I am?" I asked, still mentally reeling from the last thought, and even more freaked that now that I looked again, it was undeniably true.

Sasuke continued looking at me from over the rim of the glass, then slowly lowered it, his hand still wrapped around mine. I kind of wanted him to let it go, and at the same time, I liked that feeling of warmth, that feeling that I got that sent pleasant, excited shivers up my spine.

"That's no good, is it?" said Sasuke in a low sort of voice. "That's not good at all. I don't let anyone tell me what to do, dobe. And don't you forget it, okay?"

"Sure thing," I said, rolling my eyes, but inside my heart was pounding insanely, and my insides were shaking and throbbing and twisting, but not in a bad way.

Who was this boy, to make me get this reaction?

Why did he have this affect on me?

Most importantly...how did I get rid of it? I didn't want it-- that crazy adrenaline rush was making me insecure.

Sasuke finally pulled his hand away, and without thinking, I reached out and grabbed it, so that his fingers wrapped around my wrist, my palm pressed against his.

Thinking quickly, I shook his hand. "This will probably be the closest I get to shaking hands with a celebrity," I joked.

Sasuke chuckled and shook my hand. "I don't know, dobe. Someday you're gonna fall i love with some girl and she's gonna be more like a celebrity to you than anyone else, y'know? At least, that's what my brother said about his wife."

"Ha ha, maybe," I forced, smiling a little tightly. I don't know why, but at that moment, that last thing I wanted was a wife.

Sasuke pulled his hand from mine and said, "Well, my faithful fan, I have another song to sing. If Mero brings my drink when I'm singing, give her a message: took her long enough."

"Sure, sure thing," I said, smiling. Sasuke got up on stage again and I stared up at him, feeling a little wistful.

I didn't want a wife, like Sasuke said I would someday. I knew that-- girls had never caught my attention. Expect my sister-- she was the girl I'd ever need, and she was just Sis.

I squeezed my hand shut.

What I did want was a hand like his to hold mine. And I hated myself for thinking it.
End Notes:
I want reviews for this chapter-- my friend ChicagoIsCalling7 says that I can think up scenes that make SasuNaru fangirls like herself squeal, but WHERE ARE THE SASUNARU FANGIRLS TO LET ME KNOW?
Please tell me what you think! It would mean a lot to me!!!!
Also, feel free to check out my profile-- I talk about music. Any metal or hard rock fans out there? You might like the music I suggest.
By the way, the song used in here, the one Sasuke sings (I'e mentioned this in the chapter notes but not everyone reads those) is called "Every Little Counts" by New Order. It became famous because the singer cracks up when he sings, "I think you are a pig, you should be in a zoo."
Read, review, enjoy!
Kisses,
Sarah-hime
Just Her Teacher by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
I really like dramatic moments, don't I? Was this chapter bad?
What do you think sunshine smells like?
KENSHIN

My brother was staring at me as we ate dinner. I finally glanced up at him, fork halfway to my mouth.

"Yeah, Yuki?" I asked.

"You were watching the one in the green the whole time," he told me plainly.

"...Hmm? What do you mean?" I questioned, fearing that he'd guessed.

"You've got your eye on that one you called Sakura," he said easily.

Damn. He'd seen right through me.

I sighed. "Yuki..."

"Kenshin, it's your own damn fault for screwing up. Your student, Yuki? God, you are stupid. I bet death won't even cure your stupidity."

"You're probably right," I groaned, my face in my hands. "Aw man. I'm in it deep, aren't I?"

"Oh, yes," said my brother. "But...you really like her, don't you? I could tell."

I looked up at him and nodded, my lips tight. "I do like her. But I'm confused. I don't know if these are real feelings. It seems too soon to tell."

"How long have you known her?"

"A couple of days. She's a new student."

Yuki was silent for a second. "I've never actually told you how Misaki and I met, have I?"

Confused, I shook my head. "...Nooooo..." I said slowly.

"Misaki and I just happened to be on the same bus. That's how we met. You remember when I took that trip a few years ago, and how I'd left with my friends and came back with Misaki?"

I nodded.

"Here's how it happened. I'm on a bus in the city, and I'm with my friends. I just happen to look around the bus, and I make eye contact with the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen in my life. And I couldn't look away. I just couldn't look away from that beautiful face, those soft brown eyes, and that hesitant smile that questioned me and captivated me. Finally, I walk over to her, and we don't say anything, and we just stare at each other. After a moment, she asked me, 'Do you speak English?' And I was so relieved to answer 'Yes.' After that, we started talking. We found out we were from different places-- I was from Konoha and she was from Suna-- but we had the same birthday. We loved that-- it was something that linked us by an unseen bond, and it always had been. We'd been connected forever, and we hadn't even known it. Anyway, we talked, and the more we talked, the more I wanted to hear her voice. The more I looked at her, the more I wanted to touch her hair, her high cheekbones, the freckles across her nose. The more she smiled at me, the more I wanted to put my arm around her. The more she looked at me, the more confident I felt-- confident that I loved her. But I thought, 'Is this too soon? I've only just met her.' But I should never have doubted. I loved Misaki then, after I'd known her for a few minutes, and I love her now, after I've been married to the girl I met on the bus four years ago."

"You knew? As soon as you met her? What? That's crazy!" I exclaimed, shocked.

"Mom and Dad knew that I loved her the minute they saw me come back with my arm around her. Dad came out and asked, 'So-- have you asked her to marry you yet?' You weren't there-- you were in college still. All you found out about is that I got a girlfriend and couldn't stand how much I adored her," Yuki told me. "And then we got married."

"And Misaki? I mean, you were what, twenty-two at the time, right? And she was twenty-one? Did she feel the same way about you right away?" I questioned, intrigued.

"No-- it took her a few days to even develop something of a crush on me, she said. She just was excited to have met a cute guy." Yuki chuckled.

I laughed as well. "...So, you're saying that it doesn't matter how long you've known a person, right?"

"Sure-- it can be love after a few minutes or a few years," Yuki told me, smiling.

"But-- what if you're not sure?" I asked, feeling, at the moment, very unsure.

"If se's ever done anything that makes you think, 'That's cute,' or 'That's pretty', then it's merely infatuation. You have to know," Yuki said, not giving me a very clear explanation.

"...How do I know?" I asked him. "I mean, I do think that she's pretty and cute, but... she's so kind. It's almost healing. She radiates a quiet aura of gentleness and it shows in her eyes and her smile and the way that she interacts with those around her. But I feel like she can send me flying in all different directions-- kind words from her and smiles make me happy and I feel as if I can fly, but if she's curt or cold with me, then it can send me spiraling into doubt. How she was just a little while ago-- when she walked away from me-- my heart hurt so much I couldn't speak. I..."

That's when I figured it out.

"...I love her," I said simply. "I love her."

Yuki smiled at me gently, his eyes soft. "See? You've made your own answer."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I'll be giving back the quizzes now," I said, holding up the stack of papers the next day during my last period class. "There were good grades, and there were grades that people are going to be surprised about...guys, are you listening to me?"

"No, I find that they're quite enraptured by me," said Yuki, sitting behind Jiraya-sensei's desk and grinning. My whole class was staring at him.

"Aw man," I muttered. "Yuuuuukiiiiiiiiiii! Stop distracting my students!"

"If they want to admire me, how can I say no?" chuckled Yuki, posing a little.

"You stupid narcissist!" I complained. "GAH! Class, attention here, please, or I'm doubling your homework load!"

Slowly, the class turned their heads back toward me. I sighed and started handing papers back.

I finally got to Sakura's paper-- a 93. "Not bad, but I can see you getting a 100 next time," I said, placing the paper on her desk, not looking at her.

In fact, I didn't look at her the whole class. Not to make her angry or upset-- why would she be anyway?-- but for me. I didn't want to look at her. I didn't want to see her.

I was afraid I'd lose it in class. I knew I would do something completely insane.

Now, normally, I'm a pretty calm sort of guy-- I rarely let my emotions show, but I like to smile a lot and keep a happy face on. I hate getting upset or angry-- because it makes the people around me feel bad too. So I keep on smiling, because it makes me happy to know that other people smile then as well.

And I knew I'd want to smile at her. And then she'd tell me that she couldn't stand that smile, and that I should change it...because she couldn't tell what I was thinking.

But somehow, I knew. If I gave in and smiled at her, she would know. She would know how I felt.

I would keep it up for as long as it took-- for the last three months of school, if it meant that.

I made it through the whole class without looking at her. The bell finally rung, and the last students of the day left. I sighed with relief and started packing my things. Jiraya-sensei wasn't here due to an injury that would leave him bedridden for a while-- he'd broken a hip after tripping down the stairs. I was in charge of the class for a while.

"You were ignoring her," Yuki said knowingly. "I saw you. You can't fool me, little brother."

"I don't care," I said, slamming a textbook shut.

"You should. The expression on her face... wasn't normal, Kenshin."

I halted. "...What do you mean?"

"I saw it. The expression on her face is one that no man would ever want to see on the face of the girl he loves," Yuki said darkly. "The one that they never want to show, no matter how sad they feel."

I turned to look at him, my eyes blazing.

"That crying face could break your heart."

I was stone-still for a second, my eyes going wide. "She was...crying...?"

Yuki nodded, closing his eyes. "I can still see it. It's branded into my mind. Just sitting there, watching you. I bet this is the first time that you've ever outwardly been cold to her, right?"

"I...I..." I stammered, appalled at myself. Without thinking, I ran out into the hall.

The halls were emptying fast. I looked around, my eyes darting frantically.

Finally, I saw her-- her white shirt with a rose on it caught my eye. I ran forward and grabbed her shoulder, panting.

Time seemed to slow down, the noise around me getting dim. I heard her quiet gasp, felt her weight change as she was yanked back by my hand. I felt her trembling shoulder, soft and slender and small. I could smell the shampoo on her hair, and I could smell her natural scent, like honeysuckle and sunshine.

She smells like sunshine...

For a second, I closed my eyes and absorbed the feelings surrounding us-- hesitancy, eagerness, quiet surprise, and that feeling of sadness I had know that I could never be with her, but here she was, so close to me, right here in my grasp.

"Sakura," I said, and the world returned to normal.

She turned around and looked at me. It pained me to see that her eyes were red.

"Sensei? What is it?" she asked, looking guarded and almost nervous.

"...You left something in my classroom," I lied randomly.

"Oh," she said, surprised. "Okay." She followed me back into the classroom, and when I was there, I turned around to face her.

"Were you crying?" I asked.

She blinked in surprise, and then took a step back, embarrassed. "I didn't think anyone noticed."

"Why?"

It took her a long time to answer that one. "...Because I was surprised. And kind of hurt. But mostly surprised."

"Why?" I asked again.

She looked up at me and smiled in a tight, sad sort of way. "Because you were sort of cold, Sensei. Ha ha ha, it may seem silly, but I've never seen you like that! It was probably nothing, though, right? Just me being silly, right?"

I bit my lip. I was the worst person in the world. I hated myself more than anything right then. I couldn't stand it.

Sakura finally just said, "...Well, I'll see you tomorrow, Sensei..." She began to walk out of the room, but once again, I stopped her, this time grabbing her hand.

"Wait," I said, my voice more desperate than I'd hoped.

Sakura hesitated, then looked over her shoulder at me and gave me a wry sort of smile. "Sensei?"

"W...Would you mind...would you mind...helping me out? I was meaning to ask a student today if they'd help me with papers and organizing and stuff, but I never got around to it."

Sakura looked a little surprised, then said, "Sure, Sensei."

This sudden, overwhelming desire overcame me. I wanted her to say my name. I wanted her to call me "Kenshin."

But, this was impossible, of course. I would've never called my teachers by their first names when I was in school.

Grateful for the excuse to keep her, I smiled and said, "Thank you...Princess."

She instantly looked away from me.

Oh, no! Had I made her mad? Did she not like the nickname? It was just a silly nickname...

"Sorry. It's a joke--" I began, but she cut me off.

"No, Sensei. I...I like it. That's why I'm so embarrassed!" she confessed, and I could hear the tone of her voice telling me that it was true.

I started to laugh. "Ha ha ha! That's really cute," I blurted out without thinking. "Oh, sorry, Princess. I shouldn't be saying that."

I mentally scolded myself. Stop it, I thought. You're a teacher. Be more cautious.

Remember, Kenshin-- no matter how much you like her, there's no way you can be with her.
End Notes:
The story of how Yuki met Misaki is actually the story of how my cousin Jackie met her husband, David.
Phone Call by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Was this a pointless sort of chapter...? >_
SAKURA

"Your face is red," Naruto said when I got home.

"Is it?" I asked, putting my hans to my cheeks. Yes, they were hot. I just slapped them a little and decided not to worry about it.

"What do you want for dinner?" asked Iruka, sitting at the computer.

I thought for a minute. "...Chinese?"

"Naruto?"

"Whatever Sis wants," Naruto murmured absentmindedly, flipping through the pages of a book.

"Chinese it is, then. What do you want?" Iruka asked us.

"Beef and broccoli. It's dinner special hour at that one Wok in town, right? I want the egg roll, white rice, and extra soy sauce," I said.

"I want the Emperor Tso special," said Naruto, finding the page in his book that he wanted.

"Okay...I'll be right back," said Iruka. "Your parents called, by the way."

Naruto and I both shot for the phone at the same time, fighting over it for a second, then both punching speakerphone.

I dialed Mom and Dad's cell number. The phone rang for a second, then a click.

"Hello?"

"Mom!" Naruto and I broth cried. I felt a rush of happiness. I'd forgotten just how much I missed Mom and Dad.

"Naruto! Sakura!" Mom's voice was ecstatic. "I've missed you both! I'm sorry that your father and I couldn't make it last week-- business came up, and--"

"Mom, it's okay," Naruto said. "Dad, how's Dad?"

"I'm right here! I'm good, thanks!" Dad's voice called, and I felt a pang of longing for the parents I missed.

"We've missed you," I said.

"We're sorry, honey," said Mom. "How are things there? Do you like the house? Have you made any friends?"

"Yes! We made some great friends!" Naruto said, his face lighting up. "I haven't met nicer people in my life, ha ha ha!"

"Mom, Dad, when are you coming back?" I asked.

"Not for a while-- but we'll be there for summer, I promise you," Mom said. "Oh, honey, we miss you both so much..."

"We miss you too..." Naruto said, smiling a little wistfully. "We miss you too."

"All right, we have to go," Mom said.

"Bye!" Naruto and I said at the same time.

"Bye, my darlings," said Mom, and Dad called, "Bye, kids!"

There was a click and she was gone.
End Notes:
I've never actually been separated from both my parents for long periods of time before-- maybe one or the other, so I can't imagine how Naruto and Sakura must feel. I tried my best.
Snow Cones and Stalkers by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
A SasuNaru moment-- this one's for ChicagoIsCalling7 and iheartnotebooks123. Love you two, and thank you!
I know that there are more readers that give awesome reviews...and there's one in particular that I'm dedicating a KenSaku moment to. :) Because I am the wonderful Sarah-hime!
NARUTO

"Sand, sun, and the beach!" Temari cried, throwing her arms around Shikamaru. "And Shikamaru! I couldn't want anything else!"

"Thanks, Temari, but you're making me blush," Shikamaru said, laughing, his face turning red.

Temari was wearing a blood red bikini, her hair down from its usual pigtails and now just loose and flowing. Shikamaru wore a pair of trunks that were dark green, a tee shirt on as well. He took it off and stretched his arms. "It's so nice outside."

"It really is, isn't it?" said Hinata in her shy voice, wearing a lavender whole piece and a wide-brimmed hat, which she held onto with one hand.

Kiba wrapped an arm around her waist, nodding. "You wanna lie in the sun for a while? I'm not ready for a swim yet."

She nodded softly, taking her hand down from her hat to grasp her boyfriend's. The hat flew from her head.

She gasped in surprise and reached out to grab it, but Neji caught it deftly between two fingers as he was walking toward us. He put the hat back on Hinata's head and said, "Be more careful, Cousin."

"Y-Yes!" she said.

"Whoa, nice suit!" said Kiba, admiring Neji's black trunks. He added, "Like mine? I got them because I liked the flames!"

"Yes, they're very like you," said Neji a little sardonically, grinning, and glancing down at Kiba's flaming swimsuit.

"Hey, you guys! I found a spot!" Tenten called, waving her arm and pointing. She wore a white bikini and had a huge red flower behind her ear. I recognized it; Neji had grabbed it for her and gently tucked it behind her ear. Like, Temari, her hair was loose and free form the two buns she always kept it in.

"Tenten, do you have my towel with you?" asked Ino, wearing a plum-colored tankini, her hair wrapped in a messy bun on top of her head. "I can't find it."

"Here it is, Ino," said Sai, holding it up. He was wearing a black swimsuit similar to Neji's.

"Where's the snack shack?" asked Choji, he and Lee both dark green suits, but Lee's was solid green and Choji's had Hawaiian flowers.

I frowned. "Has anyone seen my sister?"

"Here...here I am!" Sakura called from behind me. I turned around. What I saw stunned me.

Sakura was wearing a bikini.

It was adorable, too. Red with little white flowers all over it. But it surprised me because the back was completely open.

"S-Sakura...!" I cried, shocked, running over to her. When I reached her, I said in a low voice, "But, your scar--"

"It's okay...I trust these guys," she said softly, subconsciously reaching for her back in an almost humiliated way.

I grabbed her hand and looked at her warningly. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, Naruto."

I sighed and we walked back to our friends together. My sister walked with pride.

Hinata was the only one to ask when she saw. "Oh, Sakura, did you hurt your back?" she questioned softly.

"Hmm? Oh, it's a scar from when I was a little kid," Sakura said. "It's nothing really."

"Oh, I have a scar on my tongue!" Tenten cried, sticking out her tongue. There were two very deep teeth marks on it. "I bith fwoo it wen I wuz wittle," she said, speaking with it sticking out.

"You bit through it?!" I cried, shuddering. "Nasty!"

"I know, right?" she said, laughing.

"You guys wanna get in the water?" asked Lee, his face shining with excitement.

"But it's so cold," Ino complained. "...Aww, fine." She and Lee headed down to the water, and Sai and Choji tagged along.

Kiba and Hinata set up an umbrella and towels, then lay down and sunbathed.

"Sakura, Tenten, there's a cave over there-- you wanna go check it out?" Temari asked, pointing to a large cave over on the other side of the beach, with an opening and a cliff high over the water.

"Be careful," I told my sister as she ran off with her friends.

"It's okay, Naruto," called Tenten over her shoulder, "Arisaka-sensei's supervising over there to make sure no one does anything stupid."

And then, I was all alone.

"Hey, dobe!"

Well, not all alone. I turned around to see Sasuke, still wearing a gray tee shirt with his blue trunks.

"Did everyone else desert you?" asked Sasuke, looking around.

I nodded. "Even my sister."

"Aww, poor boy," said Sasuke in a mock-pity voice. "Well, you've got me, dobe."

"Thanks, teme," I said. "Hey...you wanna get something to eat? I feel kind of hungry all of the sudden."

"Sure," he said, "let me just put my shirt somewhere." He then took off his shirt.

I felt myself staring at the curve of his back, his broad shoulders, the way his hair lightly brushed his neck...

Snap out of it, Naruto. You're getting weird again, I admonished myself.

Sasuke turned and said, "What do you want to eat?"

"Um...a snow cone?" I said.

"Is that a question or an answer?" teased Sasuke, smiling. It made my heart thud, for no particular reason.

I pointed to a wooden shack and said, "Let's see if they have any over there."

Sasuke nodded and we both started walking toward the wooden structure. I was staring at him from the corner of my eye, a warm feeling blossoming in my chest. I didn't realize it before, but Sasuke wasn't a bad guy. His greeting to me when we first met was probably how he treated most people; but I'd foolishly taken it the wrong way.

"Sasuke," I said, unconsciously reaching out and touching his wrist. Startled with myself, I quickly started to pull away, but Sasuke's hand grabbed my wrist and he turned around, smiling gently and asked, "Nn? What's up, dobe?"

How strange he was, for making my heart pound and my whole body electrified. "You can let go," I whispered.

"Hmm? Sorry, it was a reflex," he said, almost bemused. "Jeez, I'm sorry. That was totally my bad. So what is it you want to say?"

I felt a little flustered for a second, then said, "Let's do something fun while we're here, okay?"

Sasuke laughed. "Are you asking me out?"

"Sorry to disappoint," I said wryly. "It's just that I wanted to repay you back for taking me to that place where you sang. Meroko's."

That reminded me.

"Hey...are you crushing on your manager?" I asked.

Sasuke's jaw dropped. Then he guffawed. "Are you serious, dobe?! Meroko's just like a big sister to me," he said, his whole body shaking with laughter. "And, she's like thirty or something! Way too old for me!"

"Eh?! She looks so young!" I exclaimed. "That's crazy!"

"I know-- she still looks twenty-something, right?"

We arrived at the snack shack and I ordered a wild cherry snow cone, and Sasuke got a lime snow cone.

"Hey, gimme a bit of yours," he said, reaching with his spoon. I yanked my snow cone away from him.

"No," I said sternly. "You already drank my martini before. I'm not sharing anything else."

"Fine, fine," Sasuke grumbled, but I could tell he hadn't given up yet. "I'll get some soon enough."

I heard shrieking from the other side of the beach. On a reflex, I turned to the sound, praying it wasn't my sister. It wasn't; it was some girls getting splashed by some boys. One of the girls tripped and was suddenly caught by another boy. She shyly tucked her hands in front of her and looked up at him with doe eyes. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and inquired about her. She pointed at her ankle and he promptly lifted her, carrying her to a towel under an umbrella.

"Wow...I just realized that this isn't so much a field trip as it is a mating season," I told Sasuke, who I thought was next to me.

But he wasn't. He was behind me.

I felt his arms slip past my shoulders, as if he was hugging me from behind.

Then his spoon dug into my snow cone. He shoveled some up and stuck the spoon in his mouth. He pulled it out after a second, and his breath was cold.

"Gotcha," he said, his voice teasing, in my ear.

I stiffened, suddenly very, very keenly aware of how close he was. I felt his biceps on my shoulders and his cheek only a breath away from mine. His skin was warm, covered with a thin sheen of sweat and sun lotion.

My face turned as red as the snow cone I was holding, and my hands were sort of shaking. "Hey," I said, trying to recover, "now I get some of yours."

"Only fair," he said, pulling away. Like before, when his hand was on mine at Meroko's, I was both relieved and upset.

I stuck my spoon in his snow cone and ate a little bit, feeling the cold on my tongue and tasting the lime.

"Thanks," I muttered, embarrassed, pleased, upset, and nerve-wracked.

Sasuke suddenly looked beyond me, at the cave. "Hey, I see your sister," he said. "I think she's taking pictures with Temari and Tenten."

I nodded, spooning more of the cold treat into my mouth.

"You know someone's stalking your sister," Sasuke said, causing my to choke and almost swallow my spoon.

"WHAT?!" I demanded, coughing.

He looked amused as he pounded my back. "Choking is unmanly," he told me.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT A STALKER?!"

"You know Ryu Takashi?" asked Sasuke.

I shook my head.

"Real weird guy, but he's got money and power, and he isn't afraid to use it to get whatever he pleases," Sasuke said, frowning. "I heard one time, with the last girl he was stalking, when she humiliated him after he proposed by saying no--"

"He proposed to her?!"

"Yeah. Anyway, I heard that her father worked for his family's company and he had them kicked out of Konoha. They fired her parents, stole a lot of money from them or something, then made sure they couldn't get help. He's brutal that way-- and spoiled."

I stared in horror. "Oh my God. Sis! What's gonna happen to Sis?!"

Sasuke shrugged. "But Ryu's got a pattern. He first springs a scare on them by letting them know he has information on them, and then he tries to win them over. He does this in bad ways, too-- like getting them into dangerous situations, then 'saving' them. Like with that girl I was talking about, he sent thugs after her so that he could arrive in the nick of time to 'protect' her. They were hired of course, but she didn't know that. If he can't win them over with his 'manliness' it turns into force. And he stoops to anything. He's in your sister's group, right? I bet he paid someone to put him in there."

"What stage would he be in right now?" I asked nervously, staring up at my sister, who I noticed was standing at the very edge of the cliffside, posing with Tenten while Temari took pictures. Sis was laughing happily, throwing her head back, her arm around Tenten and Tenten hugging her goofily.

"Um...the dangerous situation stage?"

"Shit," I breathed.

"What?" asked Sasuke, his brow furrowing.

"Do you see where's she's standing?" I said, my voice strained from worry. "Think about it. This field trip is, for the students, a chance to sort of show off, you know? Find girlfriends or boyfriends, or deepen relationships or whatever. When you look at where she's standing, there's gotta be several ways for her to fall off, right?"

"...You don't think..." Sasuke began darkly, his hand on his hip.

"Yes, I do." I nodded, anger flaring up. "She could be in trouble."

At that moment, I saw Ryu. He was watching my sister. I didn't like the look on his face, either. It looked sly, like he had something in store for her. His eyes flickered down her her ankles.

"No-- he's not gonna---" I gasped, my teeth clenching. "Dammit-- I'm too far away for her to hear me...I don't think I can make it in time...!"

"Naruto, it may be okay," Sasuke said. "Arisaka-sensei's up there. Do you think he'd try anything really dangerous with a teacher up there?"

I hesitated, then shook my head. "But...I think he's got something planned. I saw him looking at her ankles. Do you think he's gonna trip her?"

"No, that's too obvious," Sasuke muttered, watching them with his hawkish eyes.

I stepped forward, my fists tightly clenched.

"If anything happens to my sister, I swear I'm gonna slaughter that guy," I vowed.
End Notes:
That snow cone moment has happened to me before. I reacted differently than Naruto, though-- I ended up punching my friend. He just laughed and said, "I told you I'd get your snow cone!"
Sasuke, the Strategist by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
The first chapter from Sasuke's point of view. I want to make him smart-- thinking things through in a matter of seconds. That's the kind of person I think he is, and that's the kind of person I wish I could be.
Also, I think he cares about Sakura more than most people can tell. Because she's the precious sister of his Naruto.
There, i said it. "HIS Naruto."
And anything that's important to Naruto is important to Sasuke. Or something to that effect.
SASUKE

Naruto was shaking with silent rage in front of me. All I could do was stare at him. I'd never seen him this furious before.

I looked back up at his sister on the cliff, quickly analyzing the situation.

There were a few possibilities of what Ryu cold be planning, logically, with the space and resource available. No doubt he would take advantage of the fact that she was on the cliff, right over the water, and with no one there to save her easily. Obviously, after he pulled off what he wanted to, he would make his move, diving in to save her.

I doubted that Arisaka-sensei would get there before Ryu, and neither would the other students, so that left no one but Ryu.

But on the other hand, I saw how much Arisaka-sensei noticed Sakura Uzumaki. I didn't blame him, but I wouldn't tell Naruto that, of course.

I refocused. Option one: pushing. No...that was too obvious.

Option two: tripping. Nah, that wouldn't work either. Also very obvious.

But what if Sakura tripped on her own? That wasn't nearly as obvious, but how could he pull that off?

I remembered what Naruto had said. He'd seen Ryu staring at her ankles.

Staring at her ankles.

Staring at her ankles...

Ankles...

I figured it out.

"Dammit! Naruto, he's gonna--!"

At that moment, Sakura fell from the cliff.
I Love Her by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
This chapter is dedicated to Miki Everless, who says that the love between Sakura and Kenshin is "addicting." Thank you, Miki! This one's for you!
KENSHIN

I saw what happened. I knew that the Ryu kid had a thing for Sakura. I knew that he was staring at her. I knew that he was plotting something, but I didn't know what.

I saw him throwing the rock up and down in one hand. He didn't know I was watching him.

I was thinking. What could he be doing? What was he planning?

I figured it out a second too late. "No--" I began, just as he threw the rock with uncanny precision at Sakura's ankle.

She gasped in pain and stumbled backward.

Right off the cliff.

I didn't hesitate. I ripped off my shirt and ran for the edge, just as I heard Ryu yell, "I'll save Sakura!"

I forgot about my fear of heights. I forgot about my phobia of water. All I could think about was that someone had put my precious one in danger, and now I had to save her.

I rushed past Temari and Tenten, who were standing in silent shock. My feet lingered on the edge for only a second before I dived off.

She hit the water before I could reach her. I saw for only a split second the way her eyes widened in pain before she passed out.

I clenched my teeth and hit the water, cutting through it. I opened my eyes, looking for her. I saw her and kicked toward her, mentally cursing myself for not reaching her in time.

I finally reached her and gently wrapped her arms around her, kicking to the surface of the water.

I finally emerged, taking in a gulp of air and swimming with one arm until I reached water shallow enough to walk in.

Her friends and brother were gathered nearby, eyes wide. I felt her shiver, then she coughed up water.

"Hey! You okay?!" I demanded as she hacked, her body wracking.

"I-I'm fine, Naruto," she said, and I realized she didn't think it was me, she thought I was her brother. "Put me down, Naru...Sensei!" she cried when she looked up at me.

"Ah, yeah," I said. "You okay, Princess?"

"Yes, I'm fine," she said, looking away, embarrassed. "You can put me down."

I did, and she took off like a bullet toward her friends. I was hurt and relieved at the same time.

"Jeez, what the hell happened?!" demanded Shikamaru. "I saw you with Temari and Tenten and then you just fell off!"

"No, it wasn't that," snarled her brother, putting a towel on her shoulders.

Sasuke, however, put a hand on Naruto's shoulder and shook his head. I figured it out after a moment; Sasuke and Naruto witnessed what happened and how Ryu had forced her to fall off.

That memory brought up an evil, twisting rage in my chest. I whipped around, looking for that weasel boy who would use dangerous methods to win over the girl he likes.

I finally found him, watching Sakura from a distance, peeking out form behind a big rock. I went up behind him and clamped a hand down on his shoulder, saying in his ear, "You should try to impress her without putting her in danger."

He emitted a squeak, turning to look at me. He floundered for a second, then said childishly, "You're f-fired!"

"You can't fire me," I scoffed coldly. I was just too pissed to be polite.

"I can!" he protested. "My dad owns the biggest--"

"I frankly don't care who your dad is," I said, crossing my arms. "The only one who can fire me is Tsunade-sensei, because she is the principle. I don't recall your father being the principle at any point...?"

Ryu squirmed. He knew I was right, but the foolish, spoiled brat didn't want to admit it.

"Look," I said, leaning in. "You may think that you're powerful, kid, but you're not. And if you think that power will win her over, it won't. So..."

And then I said the unthinkable.

"So back off-- she's taken."

I mentally slapped myself. What the hell was that?! I was claiming possession?! Why?! She was far from mine-- Ryu had a better chance with her than I did.

Ryu stared at me, stunned. "Who? Who is it?!"

I thought fast. "That is none of your business."

He snarled angrily. "It doesn't matter. The room arrangements..." he muttered, stalking off.

I turned around, walking away. It wasn't until he was far from me that I thought about what he said.

I whirled around. "Waitaminit! What do you mean, room arrangements?!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The first evening of the field trip, and I was already punished with roll call duty and patrol duty. I was exhausted after going from door to door.

I knocked on the hotel room door. "Group 29, is everyone present?"

"Yes!" the girls cried, their giggles loud and music blaring.

"Lights out at 11:30," I told them.

"Yes, sensei!"

I looked over the attendance sheet, thankful to be done. I headed back to the room that the teachers were in. As I went in, I heard a few familiar names.

"Did you hear what Ryu Takashi asked us to do?" Kurenai asked her boyfriend, Azuma.

"No, what?" he asked, lighting a cigarette.

"He offered the school a bribe of ten million to get his room assignment changed," Kurenai said, taking a sip from her cup.

"Really?!" demanded Azuma. "And why didn't they let him?"

"Because he wanted a room with Sakura Uzumaki," Kurenai said, frowning in distaste.

"You're kidding. She's his next victim?" Azuma sighed.

Kurenai nodded, sighing as well. "I feel bad for her. That poor girl's going to break."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One very unlucky teacher would get to have patrol duty-- wandering the halls in the middle of the night to make sure students weren't sneaking out.

That teacher was me.

At 2:30, I was almost asleep and wandering aimlessly, not caring if a student snuck out or not. But I heard a door creak open and a black-clad figure snuck out.

Grinning a little, I started to tail this person.

They walked very slowly, so I caught up with them quickly. I was right behind this person now. I was dark, so I couldn't see them, but I could tell that it was a girl.

I decided to play a prank. It was not very professional or teacher-like of me, so I felt bad, but only a little bit.

I grabbed her wrists with one hand and clapped my other hand over her mouth just as she started to scream. I quickly rounded a corner and looked to see who it was.

It was Sakura.

My mind knew only two things right then:

1) Dammit, I was royally screwed.

2) Dammit, she looks adorable.

"Students are not to be wandering the halls at night," I said in a low voice, smiling a little. "Can I inquire as to why you are, Princess?" I took my hand from her mouth and she sighed.

"I couldn't sleep," she finally said, pouting a little.

I smiled in amusement. "So you decided to make my job harder?" I realized I was still holding her wrists.

"I suppose," she said, smiling.

I don't think I wanted to let go.

"Where were you planning on going?" I questioned.

"Just wandering around."

I hesitated, then did something very stupid. "Can I come with you?"

Her jaw dropped. "Are you serious, Sensei?"

"Dead serious. God, I am so bored. I'm still a kid, Princess-- I'm twenty-two. Are you expecting me to be a mature adult quite yet?" I said, laughing quietly.

"You can be kind of childish," she giggled.

I peered out from the corner, looking around to make sure no one was around.

I looked back at her and grinned, then tugged at her hand. We took off running as quietly as we could down the hall, constantly glancing around to make sure no teachers came around.

At one point, a fuzzy bathrobe-clad teacher came out just as Sakura and I were running at them. We halted in our tracks and frantically looked around for somewhere to hide.

I finally decided the corner we'd arrived at was the best place, and I grabbed her, tugging her toward me.

It was probably the only chance I would have to do this, and now I'd have a valid reason to do it. What I'd wanted to do for so long.

I wrapped an arm around her waist and another around her torso. I whispered, "Don't move, be quiet," and silently, I reveled in the fact that I finally got to hold her.

She was breathing softly. Her heart was pounding; I could feel it against my arm. She was leaning back against me, and her hands were on my arm.

I loved her so much.

I noticed that there was a tiny birthmark on her shoulder, which was showing a little. It was in a vague shape, but it looked sort of like a heart. It took all my will power to not kiss it, and not kiss the rest of her too. I could smell her-- sunshine and honeysuckle, just like the other day. I loved her. I loved her more than anything.

We both peeked around the corner to see that the fuzzy bathrobe-clad teacher was Orochimaru-sensei. We looked at each other and almost burst out laughing. I had to cover her mouth to stifle her giggles.

"Shh, shh," I said, having trouble concealing my own laughter.

"Omigawd, he's wearing a pink bathrobe," she said in a whisper, quivering with laughter.

"Shh," I repeated. "He's gonna hear you, Princess."

"S-Sorry, it's just so funny," she said quietly, grinning at me.

There was a growing need to be beside her, but I knew I couldn't indulge myself. Why was I torturing myself with her?

I closed my eyes, leaning my head back, and smiled.

I was torturing myself because it was the best thing I'd ever felt.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

After running around and acting like idiots for at least an hour, we went down to the 24-hour kitchen.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Just some fruit. I like oranges and watermelon," she said.

I went in and got two oranges and a banana for myself.

I tossed the oranges to her, both of which she deftly caught. We sat down, our backs against the wall, and ate.

Sakura murmured, "That was the most fun I've had in a long time."

"Me too," I told her honestly. "I don't get to have fun much anymore. I mean, with all my duties as a teacher..."

Sakura remained silent. Finally, she spoke. "...Sensei, I wanted to thank you. I was rude earlier-- I didn't express my gratitude. And you saved me. I owe you."

I turned to look at her. There were tears in her eyes. "I was scared, and then, just for a second, I saw you reach your hand out at me as I fell. And even though I was absolutely terrified, I felt so relieved and happy to see you."

I hoped she couldn't hear how loud my heart was beating.

She started crying. "Still, I was scared. This rock just hit my leg, and then I was falling, and..."

She broke off when I leaned in and kissed her gently on the head.

"My grandma used to do that to me whenever I'd cry," I said. "Do you feel better?"

She looked at me, her green eyes wide with surprise. And that's when I realized what I'd just done.

"Sorry-- it's a force of habit," I said, quickly standing up. I cleared my throat, my face burning. "You...you should go back to your room now. If you're caught, just say I already reprimanded you and sent you back to your room."

She nodded, and, looking away from me, she ran off.

I put a hand to my face. "Kenshin, what are you doing?" I asked myself. "She's your student. You can't do that."

But then I smiled and laughed, sliding down the wall. "But...she smelled nice."
The Dress by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
I liked this chapter-- especially the two fan girls. Ha ha, they are so wonderfully stupid.
SAKURA

As soon as I was out of Sensei's sight, I stopped, putting a hand to my pounding heart.

What on earth was that? I didn't know. I was unsure about everything then. I forgot how to think, I forgot how to breathe, hell, I forgot my own name.

I went back to the room as quickly and silently as I could, not wanting to wake Temari when I went in.

All the students were assigned with one other person to a room. Our class took up half the hotel.

I crawled quietly into bed, glancing at Temari, who was sleeping on her stomach, face flat against the pillow. For a second, I wondered if that would suffocate her, but dispelled the thought from my mind...my adrenaline rush was wearing off, leaving me exhausted and barely able to keep my eyes open.

I fell asleep with the feeling of Sensei's warmth. I was smiling as I drifted off.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"And how was your late-night rendezvous?" asked Temari as she woke up. I had woken up a bit before her and now wore some normal clothes-- a lacy white tank top that Naruto had bought me last year and a pair of jean shorts.

I blushed. "Sorry-- did I wake you up?"

"Nah, I was already awake," she told me, hopping out of bed and going over to her suitcase. She went into the bathroom and got dressed while I waited.

"Hurry up," I said after a minute, "the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet closes at nine."

"What time is it now?" she asked, her voice muffled.

I looked at the clock. "...Eight-thirty."

"Coming, coming," she said, emerging wearing a rose-colored top and jeans. "Let's go."

We headed downstairs together, passing other students that were emerging in pajamas, swimsuits, and regular clothes like Temari and I.

I saw my brother and Sasuke walking a little ways ahead of us, so I mischievously ran up to my brother and yelled, "Prepare yourself, Naruto!"

I flew at him, about to land a kick on his head. He turned and gasped, putting up his arms, but without warning, Sasuke reached out and caught me, an arm under my knees and an arm on my back.

"That's not nice to ambush your brother," he said teasingly, and I felt my face turn hot.

"You're gonna give a girl a heart attack if you do that," I said, and he looked at me, almost confused.

"Do what, Sakura?"

"Catch them like that," I mumbled, embarrassed. "Put me down, put me down!"

"No, I don't think I will," Sasuke said, turning his nose up at me.

I blinked in surprise. "Eeeehhhh?! What?! Put me down, Sasuke Uchiha-- put me down! I won't ambush Naruto again, I promise!"

"Fine, but if I see you ambush your dear brother again, I'll carry you to the beach and throw you into a coral reef full of sea urchins and you'll hold your injured, poked ass in pain."

"Jeez, thanks!" I aid sarcastically as he set me down.

Naruto was laughing, shaking his head.

Temari walked with us to the breakfast buffet, and we grabbed a table. Other people from our group started wandering in-- Sai and Choji, then Lee and Tenten, followed soon by Neji, Ino, and Hinata.

"Hey, guys," I said.

"Where's Shikamaru?" asked Temari.

"He's still asleep. We woke him up once to tell him to come get breakfast, but he told us to tell you to just grab something for him."

Temari frowned and said, "That lazy bum," her voice dry. "I get so sick of him sometimes."

"But...you still love him, don't'cha?" said Naruto, smiling a little.

Temari looked over at him and grinned. "How could I not?"

I glanced over at Sasuke and was surprised at the way he was looking at my brother.

It was a smile he'd never shown any of us before.

I shook my head, ignoring it, and got a plate. "I'm gonna get some food."

I walked over to the buffet and stood in line, right behind two of the girls from Arisaka-sensei's fan club. They were talking about him.

"His eyes are tired today," said one as she stared at him. He was sitting with the other teachers and rubbing his eyes.

That's because he was up most of the night running around like an idiot with me, I thought, my face getting warm and a smile creeping to my face. Like I could ever tell them that, though. They'd slaughter me for sure.

The girl with her straightened her too-short skirt. "Hey," she whispered, "do you think he's staring at a girl? He looks sorta distant right now. Maybe I can get him to stare at my legs. That's why I bought this skirt, y'know."

"No way. I bought this shirt so he'd stare at my chest!" the other girl giggled flirtatiously, nudging her chest a little bit. Her skirt was way too low, revealing a pale chest and tiny cleavage.

I almost gagged as I put a few pancakes on my plate. God, these girls were dumb.

I glanced over at Sensei at the same time he looked over at me. I gave him a quick smile, and he nodded, a tiny smile on his lips.

"Ooh, did you see that?! He nodded at me, he nodded at me!" hissed the girl with the tiny skirt.

I almost laughed. No, he was smiling at me, I thought, almost feeling something like smugness. But why did I care? I didn't, right?

Then the memory of Sensei kissing me flooded back, and my cheeks flamed with warmth.

It was nothing, Sakura, I tried to reassure myself firmly. A kiss is like a handshake, right? A kiss is like a handshake. Or a greeting. There's no way Sensei could feel anything for you.

You don't care whether or not he likes you, right?

I thought about this. Did I care? If I did, why? If I didn't, why?

I put some scrambled eggs on my plate, also grabbing an orange. My face flushed again when I remembered Sensei tossing the orange to me last night, a smile on his face. I had so much fun. I had loved every minute of it.

I looked back over at him. Sensei...did he know how much fun I had?

As if he could read my mind, he looked over at me and smiled the smile that I hated so much.

But now I found...that smile wasn't half bad.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Naruto, we should go somewhere tonight," I said, flipping through the hotel's copy of all the stuff you could do on Konoha beach as I sat in the lobby with Naruto. There were several restaurants that I found appealing, such as Lagoon-- a nice, high-end sort of restaurant that was outdoors. The picture of it showed a large patio-looking area that has empty in the middle (A dance floor? I thought), and beautiful trees covered in twinkling lights surrounding it. The tables were mostly two-person tables, all wrought iron and covered with a white tablecloth. It was obviously an evening-dress up sort of place, and it appealed to me greatly.

"Sure, why not?" said my brother, also flipping through one. "We should try this while we're here too," he added, pointing to a page that said "Parasailing."

"Parasailing?" I asked. "That does sound fun..."

"Yeah, we should try it!"

"I don't see why not."

"Aw right!" Naruto pumped his fist.

I chuckled, then said, just out of curiosity, "Naruto...is there anyone else you'd like to go out somewhere with, besides me? I mean, you must have people you want to hang out with, and all."

"I only need you, Sis," he said seriously.

I faltered. "...Naruto, you shouldn't say that. One day you'll find someone that you love more than anything else in the world."

"I dunno," he said, shrugging. "...I actually promised Sasuke we'd do something while we were here, actually. In return for taking me out that day we ditched school."

"There's a start," I said. "There's a start."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Temari, Tenten, Ino, and I were in the town, shopping. Hinata was out on the beach with Kiba at the time, and even though we asked her a few times to go with us, she shyly told us "No thank you, I'm going with Kiba."

I wandered with them, going past lots of shops with clothes out in front, and wind chimes making soft sounds in the breeze.

That's when I walked past a dress. I halted midstep, then backed up, almost slamming myself against the glass window where I saw it, eyes wide and intense.

"That's it," I said, "that's the dress."

Tenten, Ino, and Temari turned around. "Huh?" they asked, walking back to me and looking up at the dress.

"It certainly is cute," Ino said. "Not my style, but it's cute."

"That takes a perfect body to pull that dress off..." Tenten said dryly, looking down at herself.

Temari didn't say anything, just walked into the boutique, calling, "Hello? That dress in the window..."

We all trooped in after her, following her to the front desk where a young woman with a short, spiky haircut and a tattoo of a rose on her neck stood. She pushed her square glasses up her nose and said in a slightly hoarse voice, "I'm surprised you're interested. That dress hasn't caught anyone's eye in all the years I've been here, even when I put it up for sale in the front window." She gave Temari a once-over. "I don't know sweetie, you have the long legs to pull it off, sure, but I don't know if it's right for your skin color. You're tan and this needs a pale peach, y'know?"

"It's not me that wants it, it's her," Temari said, jerking a thumb over her shoulder in my direction.

The woman's name tag read Satsuki. Satsuki looked me up and down and said, "Ah, yes, that might work. That dress is unusual. Let's see if you can pull it off."

She walked over to a rack that only had a few of the dresses on it, and asked for my size. "What's your dress size?"

"Four," I said.

"Four?! Gawd, you're so tiny..." Ino muttered.

Satsuki handed me a size four of the dress and showed me to a dressing stall. "Take your time, sweetheart," she said, "I'll be at the desk if you need anything."

I quickly stripped down to my underclothes and slid the dress over my head. It was a close fit, but that was okay. Finally, I stepped out.

I saw Ino's eyes widen and Temari nod her head with approval and Tenten grin and give me a thumbs-up.

"That works. I didn't think you could do it, but you did it," Temari said. "Those dresses are difficult to pull off if you don't do it right."

I turned and looked at myself in the full-length mirror, gasping in delight.

The dress was short and flouncy, pure snow white with the exception of a light green belt that was studded with patterns of sequins.

"I love it," I whispered, smiling widely.

I went back in the dressing room and changed back into my regular clothes. I took it to the cashier and she rang it up, along with a pair of dangly earrings and silver shoes that I bought.

I hugged my new purchase to my chest, giggling. I couldn't wait to wear it when Naruto and I went out. We'd decided that our last day here would be the best day to go out.

A sudden crazy thought went through my head, but I quickly brushed it away.

That crazy thought was me wondering what Arisaka-sensei would think of me in this dress.
It Gives Me Thrills to Wind You Up. by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Ha ha ha. Good interaction scene. It reminds me almost of KuroFai... KuroFai is my OTP, y'know, so no disrespect or you'll answer to me, y'hear?!
NARUTO

"That guy there...he's so hot."

I blinked in surprise.

...Were they talking about me, those girls that stood by the ice cream parlor with the open door? The cold air was rushing out as I passed it.

"I love his dark, sexy black hair," one said, and I realized dryly that no, they weren't talking about me, they were referring to the moron behind me.

"Teme," I muttered, "someone's talking about you."

He heard me. "I'm not opposed to that. Are you jealous?"

"No."

"You sound jealous."

"I'm not."

"I think you do."

"How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not, Teme?" I said almost wearily. "...You really wear me out."

"I'm sorry," he said, not sorry at all. "Do you want me to grovel?"

"No, no," I muttered. I sighed. "I'm in kind of a bad mood and you tagging along on my walk isn't doing much in the way of helping, y'know."

Sasuke, standing next to me now, didn't say anything, just got a little smile on his face.

I was looking at him from the corner of my eye. "...You can't take a hint, can you?"

"What was the hint?"

"Scram!"

"Don't think you can get rid of me that easily, dobe."

"ARRRGH!" I roared, frustrated more and more by the second.

"What's your problem?" asked Sasuke.

"YOU'RE my problem!"

"Well, I think you're stressed. You should become a vegetarian."

"What does that have to do with my stress levels?" I demanded.

"I dunno. But don't people who eat meat tend to get stressed easier?" he mused.

I stared at him.

After a moment he looked over at me and made a face. "Hey, what's with the unfathomable expression?"

"What the hell? Where do you come up with this crap? 'Unfathomable expression'? How can you say that with a straight face?" I asked, half-incredulous, half-dumbfounded.

He shrugged, looking at me like I was nuts. "I dunno... do you expect me to have a good answer planned?"

"Sure, why not?"

He just shook his head.

"And now you're shaking your head like I'M the one who's strange!" I almost yelled.

"You ARE strange!" he said in return.

All of the sudden, a voice called, "Hey, Raven!"

Sasuke and I looked around.

"Yes, you!" called a girl flirtatiously, standing with her friends by a shop. "Why don't you and your little blond friend hang out with us tonight?"

Instead of ignoring them or brushing them off with a smile like I did, Sasuke walked over there and said something to her while I stared, stunned, eyes wide.

Finally, he jogged back, grinning a little.

"What did you do?" I demanded.

"Just asked them where this one shop was," he said innocently.

"Oh, yeah. Nice try, teme," I said sarcastically.

"Are you callin' me a liar?" Sasuke asked, smiling dangerously.

"I didn't say that," I said, shrugging innocently.

"But you were thinkin' it."

"You don't know that."

He laughed quietly, smiling at me with kind eyes. "I do-- I can read you like a book. You're so obvious."

Is it obvious that I like it when you smile at me like that?

I halted. Where had that thought come from? Certainly not me. I felt tempted to look around and see who the real perpetrator of that thought was.

"Dobe? You got a little unfocused there," Sasuke said, smiling at me teasingly. "Are you thinking about how you wish I had set up something with those girls?"

"I thought you could read me like a book," I said, suddenly looking into his eyes. I'd never noticed before that, dark as they were, I could see even darker speckles in them.

Sasuke blinked, then burst out laughing. "Ha ha ha! You're so funny, dobe!"

"Don't call me that..." I sighed. "It makes me mad."

Sasuke looked over his shoulder at me, grinning a little. "I've gotta admit... it gives me thrills to wind you up."

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks and I looked away. "Whatever," I muttered, but what he'd said stuck with me for hours.
To Leave Behind, or to Be Left Behind by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Sakura's insecurity revealed. I tried to put in there the possessiveness I feel for a boy I've liked for a long time that has a girlfriend whom he's hopelessly devoted to. Yes, Sarah-hime has her share of sadness too.
This chapter is for Miki Everless, who finally has her answer as to how Sakura feels about her Sensei.
SAKURA

I knew it would happen eventually.

"Sakura Uzumaki, we need to talk to you!"

I turned around. There, standing in front of me, were three girls in over-revealing swimsuits. They wore ridiculous makeup and they all wore their hair in very poofy ponytails. I resisted the urge to laugh.

"Yes?" I asked.

"We've noticed that you've caught the attention of Arisaka-sensei for whatever reason," one said angrily.

I thought for a second, confused. "...Wait, who are you?"

"I am Madoka Minami, president of the Arisaka Fan Club!" cried the one who had talked to me.

Another girl spoke up with, "I am Karin Kawahara, Vice President of the Arisaka Fan Club!"

The last said, "I am Yukino Yamazawa, Sense's Biggest Fan!"

I stared for a second, then nodded. "...Okay." Ah, yes, the fan club. I should've known.

"Enough with introductions! YOU, Sakura Uzumaki--" cried Madoka, dramatically pointing a finger at me, "--are formally accused of seducing our teacher!"

"...Okay," I said.

Madoka almost faltered, but came back stronger. "Do you not deny this?!"

"...I frankly don't know what you're talking about. I've never tried to...seduce Sensei. I don't go for older men. He was probably just staring because I had...food on my shirt."

They looked visibly more relaxed. "So you deny any relationship with him?!"

"Yeah."

"And you will never get into any such relationship?!"

"Again, yes."

"This is your only warning, Sakura Uzumaki!"

"I'm not a threat to you," I said dryly.

They didn't find this funny. "Everyone is a threat to us, and everyone is a rival," hissed Madoka.

And with that, they stalked off.

At that moment, Temari sauntered over. "Did they get'cha?"

"Yeah, they did-- wait, what is that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"...You like Sensei, don't you?" she said quietly.

I was surprised to feel my cheeks flame and my heart pound. "...No..." I said, though my voice was unsure.

Temari sighed. "...I wish you'd be honest with yourself," she said even more softly than before, and walked away from me.

Her words left me stunned, confused, and my thoughts swirling, mostly with Arisaka-sensei.

One thought caused my throat to creak, dangerously close to closing with tears. It was a thought that Sensei was..well, he was my sensei-- nothing more.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Sakura," Naruto said, as he sat on the pier next to me, "you've been awfully quiet. What's wrong?"

"...Naruto...it's nothing," I said, smiling at him.

"...You sure? You seem kinda down. Or confused. Or maybe both."

"No, Naruto, I'm not okay," I said, shaking my head and covering my eyes with my hand. "I'm really, really confused right now. I don't know what's going on with me... I think I love someone."

Naruto furrowed his brow. "I don't understand."

"It's not that simple, Naruto-- I think I'm in love with some--"

"No, it's just that-- how do you 'think' you're in love?" Naruto interjected. "You would probably know, right? You would know that you're in love?"

His words stopped me short, and then I knew the truth.

"Naruto, I know I'm in love."

He smiled. "That's good, isn't it?"

I nodded.

His smile became sad. "Then why are you crying?"

I wailed, "I don't know!"

He sighed a little bit and wrapped his arms around me, and I cried into his chest, feeling his heartbeat against my cheek. He was warm from the sun, and he smelled like sweat and lotion and soap and boy and Naruto. That calming scent reminded me of when we were kids and how I would crawl into his bed at night. He wouldn't complain that I woke him up, but would just lift the covers up silently and let me snuggle up against him.

"Who is it?" Naruto asked quietly.

"...A...Arisaka-sensei," I said, and Naruto jolted.

"A-Are you serious, Sis?!" he demanded, staring at me with wide eyes. "You're gonna get in a heck of a lot of trouble with that fan club!"

"They heckled me today, yes," I said, sniffing.

Naruto sighed a year's worth of sighs. "Aw man, Sis. You could've picked someone different. But whatever. If it's love, then hey, it's love. And...remember...I'll be by your side forever."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

The whole gang decided to go out for dinner. The restaurant we picked was within walking distance, and it was only mildly formal, so I put on a lacy brown dress and jeans underneath, complete with brown flats. I tied my hair up in a bun and put the dangly earrings I bought earlier that day in.

Naruto was walking slightly ahead with Sasuke, and they were bickering-- playfully-- back and forth, like a married couple. I mentally giggled at the comparison and knew Naruto would kill me if I'd ever said that to him-- he couldn't stand Sasuke.

Or could he? There was a tangible difference in their relationship-- even I could see that. Sasuke was softer around the edges, always teasing, and when Naruto wasn't looking, smiling at him in a way I could only describe as affectionate.

Naruto was constantly on the edge, like he wasn't sure how to deal with Sasuke appropriately-- one wrong move and he'd be falling.

Falling over what? Falling in what? I didn't know these answers.

At one point, though, I saw Naruto blush.

Blush.

Sasuke told him something and Naruto retaliated with a witty sort of retort. Sasuke looked surprised, then laughed. He leaned in to Naruto's ear and said something, looking a little smug, and Naruto's face just flamed.

I furrowed my brow in confusion. Perhaps Sasuke had said something to embarrass my brother?

But something whispered in my heart that this wasn't the case. There was something deeper, more meaningful behind why Naruto looked at Sasuke that way. There was something that I didn't understand, and might not ever understand.

And it made me feel lonely.

"And remember, I'll be by your side forever," my brother had said to me earlier, as he had said many times before, as he had also said, "I only need you, Sakura."

I knew in the bottom of my heart that this was not so-- he was just saying his feelings now. But he didn't know what was coming in the future; neither of us did. There were so many variables that could pull my brother away from me, away from my side. More than anything, I wanted him to be happy, whether it meant staying by my side forever or not. But the more he told me that he'd stay by my side forever, the more I knew that there would be so much more hurt and sadness when the day came where he told me that he could no longer be by my side forever.

I didn't want to think about it; it was as grim to me as Naruto dying. Losing him was losing my other half-- and though I would love for him to be with me forever, I knew this would never be so . He would find someone and fall in love with them, and his attentions and affections would turn to that person.

That thought terrified me. It was an insecurity of mine that I would never reveal. The fear that I would be pushed aside-- the intense fear of loneliness, of being left behind, or of leaving behind.

...To leave behind, or to be left behind. What hurts more? Either way, they both take root in selfishness or complete unselfishness... and both reasons were equally painful for either side.

Naruto...

I stared at him, talking with Sasuke, blushing, smiling, laughing, frowning, being Naruto...

I missed him already.

"Hey, we're here!" Temari cried, snapping me from my thoughts. I looked around, slightly disoriented, and saw a wharf that was covered with restaurants and shops, lit brightly in the dim evening light. The waves were lapping up against the shore nearby, creating a soothing sound that calmed my aching heart.

The restaurant we were going to was sailor-themed. Old and wooden, it was like stepping into a giant ship.

Neji stepped up to the "Please Wait To Be Seated" waiter, saying, "Hyuga party of 13."

"Do you have an all-you-can eat buffet?" asked Choji.

"Sakura," Sai inquired, "are those new earrings?"

Slightly surprised, I said, "Yeah, actually." I was surprised that he'd noticed-- Sai was quiet and unsociable, and rarely talked. When he did, it was usually some input that was more or less wise tidbits.

"I noticed!" my brother said, "...But I just didn't say anything."

Yes, I thought sadly, You were too wrapped up in your new best friend Sasuke to notice.

I immediately rebuked myself. Why was I jealous?

Then I knew why. It was at the back of my mind, but at the center of my heart.

Sasuke was going to take my brother away from me someday. And that day would be coming soon.

I gave in to the impulse to reach out and grab my brother's sleeve. When I did, he looked back at me, smiling inquisitively, as if to ask me what was wrong. But he wasn't focused on me...his eyes sparkled with a new kind of light that he didn't show around me.

That light...it hurt me. It hurt me. That light was what would take my brother away from me. It was Sasuke's light.

...But that light would bring happiness to my brother.

So I smiled, said, "Nothing, sorry," and buried away my selfishness.
End Notes:
Hey! I've updated my profile on TONFA. Check it out when you get the chance. Also... a KuroFai picture! I love KuroFai. They are my OTP forever!
/Users/thomasdorger/Desktop/kurofai.jpg
Copy/paste that address into your URL bar and you'll see my favorite KuroFai picture. Aren't they so precious together?
Closer Than Being Next to Me... by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
I loved the interaction between Naruto and Sasuke in this-- I hope you all enjoy it, too.
NARUTO

"I want the fish sampler," I said, pointing to it on the menu. Next to me, Sasuke said, "Please get me the same thing."

I added, "Oh! Could you also get me an ice water with lemon?"

"Me too," said Sasuke, straight-faced.

I glanced at him. Coincidence, I suppose. I just had to test it, though...

"Please, could you lightly grill the salmon, but char the tilapia?"

"I wold also like that," said Sasuke, a smile flickering to his lips, and I cried, "You ARE copying me!"

The waitress, Kazune, looked disgruntled. "Kid-- make up your mind."

"Sorry, just get me the fish sampler, however you guys make it, and water with a lemon slice," I said, watching Sasuke out of the corner of my eye.

He looked at Kazune, and, totally deadpan, said, "The same for me, okay?"

"Sure thing," Kazune said, and took everyone else's order.

I glanced at my sister, who was staring at me with a strange look on her face. I reached across the table and grabbed her hand. "Hmm? You're looking at me funny," I said, smiling.

She swallowed a little and said, "...I just don't feel great right now."

"You could take a walk along the beach or something," suggested Ino. "The fresh air might do you good."

"You do seem sort of pale," said Lee in a slightly concerned voice, looking over at her.

Sakura smiled a little uneasily. "Yeah, a walk will make me feel better...I'll be back in a little bit, you guys." She stood up and walked out of the restaurant into the evening.

Then a thought struck me. It was something that had always bothered me.

"This would be considered dusk, twilight, or sunset?" I asked, pointing at the sky's condition at the moment.

"Are you asking which one?" Shikamaru said, his eyes wandering over to me. "...Well, with sunset, the sun is still in the sky. Twilight is the period of time between sunset and dusk...and that's when you can only see the light that the sun has left behind, but not the sun. Dusk is when the sun is still slightly lit with the sun's rays, and it's not completely dark yet. I guess this would be dusk."

"That has always bothered me; I can never tell if it's one or the other, you know? It constantly confuses me," I said.

"It's never bothered me," said Choji, who was eating more breadsticks than any of us combined.

"That's because the only thing you ever worry about is whether or not you have enough food," Shikamaru said lazily.

Sasuke put in, "Honestly, I think it's a good question. Maybe not important to know, but a good question."

I felt myself smiling. He was sticking up for me? Agreeing to what I said? It was a nice feeling. He was close, too-- I could smell something like cologne on him. It was kinda nice.

!!!

What. Are. You. THINKING?!

My heart pounded. I stood up suddenly, smiled tightly and said, "Hey, I'll be right back, you guys," and ran for the door.

I had to get my thoughts straight.

I went out into the dim evening-- no, the dusk-- and leaned against the wooden railing that made the deck. There weren't tables out here, but there were some people milling around.

I looked out on the beach, hearing the water and the waves and the people and my heartbeat in my ears.

My sister was down on the beach, standing in the ankle-high water. Her jeans were rolled up to her knees so that they wouldn't get wet, but the splash from the surf was getting them a little damp anyway. She pulled on her ponytail holder and shook out her long hair, and it lifted slightly in the breeze.

It took me a second to realize that she was crying.

I straightened and was about to walk to her when I noticed someone beat me to it.

Kenshin Arisaka.

The first thing that popped into my mind was the question of his knowledge of her being there.

I realized, however, that he had been sitting on a towel a little ways away from her, about ten yards to the right and a little farther back. He was reading a book with a flashlight. That was kinda dorky, but the idea appealed to me.

She didn't notice him until he gently put his jacket on her shoulders. She jolted, startled, then hastily wiped her eyes, smiling unconvincingly and taking a step away from him. He took a step toward her, cocking his head like he was asking her why she was stepping away from him. I knew why.

She was scared. She was scared of getting too close to him. She loved him, and that idea frightened her. That fact risked the friendly relationship they had now.

And because she loved him, she would never let it show, because if she did, she was afraid he'd get rid of her. She was smart.

Could I ever do that? Could I ever think that clearly, or would I be drugged by my adoration for the person I loved?

I watched them. I watched the cautious way she stifled her feelings, being polite and keeping her distance. I watched the way he gazed at her intently, wondering what happened. Where was the girl he'd known? She'd changed, obviously-- but for the better? She was saving the both of them this way, sure, but she didn't want to be saved.

Her heart was hurting. He was making her sad. He'd made her cry. He'd made her cry out of sadness, out of pain, out of love. She loved him, and I know she did. But... a teacher and a student could never be happy together.

But...once she graduated from high school, none of that mattered, did it? My sister had a chance at happiness, but it was two years away, and that was if she still loved him then.

There were too many possibilities playing into this, and it was hurting her. I loved my sister more than anything at that moment, and I wanted to comfort her.

But, in that same moment, she didn't need me.

She had him.

He gently took one of her hands and smiled at her softly. My sister's defense crumbled and she burst into tears again, but laughed at the same time. Sensei looked alarmed, bending slightly to be at her eye level. She opened her eyes, seeming surprised to see him so close.

He must've asked her what was wrong, because she just raised a hand, making a motion that was like she was brushing it off. But he grabbed that hand, now holding both, and stared at her.

She looked surprised, just gazing back at him with an unreadable expression. Her lips were slightly parted, as if she was going to say something but couldn't get the words quite out.

My mother once joked with Sakura that when a girl became a woman, her lips would be just right for kissing. I had no idea what that meant as a child, but now I understood. What mom meant was that when my sister finally fell in love, then she would have grown up.

Sakura finally smiled at Sensei, and her face was so gentle that it made me want to cry.

I continued to watch them as Sensei bowed a little. My sister curtseyed, and they began to dance.

The moon was up. It shone down at them, casting an ethereal, beautiful light that I adored and despised. That light made my sister beautiful and vulnerable and innocent, and it made me jealous.

She was being taken away from me, and it made me want to scream in fury and sadness and longing and loneliness. My sister, my sweet, darling little twin sister, my most important person, had found the man she wanted to be with for the rest of her life.

They continued to dance, twirling and moving along gracefully. They were right together-- there was no denying the wonderful love between them. Arisaka-sensei loved my sister back-- I could see it in the way he held her waist and cupped her hand gently in his, his palm light touching her wrist and his fingers wrapped around hers,, the way he smiled at her and the way he watched her as she blushed and smiled bashfully. My sister's hair was wavy, curling ever so slighly at the ends, and it floated behind her when she moved.

"Do you see that couple down there?" a sudden voice said. There were two teenage girls also leaning against the railing, a little ways away from me. One had short, choppy black hair and black square glasses, wearing short jean shorts and a black halter top, and the other wore a pink sundress, her blond hair in a braid.

"They're perfect together. And that's so romantic-- I wish Kazuki would dance with me like that," sighed the blond happily.

"Come on, Usa. Kazuki thinks he's too manly for stuff like that," said the black haired girl.

Usa complained, "Hey, don't be like that, Komaki! Your boyfriend doesn't do much in the way of romance either."

"Still..." Komaki looked down at my sister and Sensei, smiling a little. "It's nice to know that there are people out there that really love each other."

"I really love Kazuki..." said Usa, sounding confused.

Komaki shook her head. "It's different for them."

I looked away, feeling sad and angry. I was jealous of the person who got to take my sister for himself.

The two girls finally walked away, and I watched my sister for a while longer. She looked the happiest she'd been in a long time.

"They're nice together, huh?" said a voice finally.

I turned around to see Sasuke. I smiled. "Hi," I said quietly.

"You're jealous?" Sasuke said, walking up to me and leaning against the railing. He looked over at me with those dark eyes that magnetized me.

"Yeah. He's got her heart."

"Ha ha ha, you sound so possessive," Sasuke chuckled. "It's weird."

"No it's not," I cried, and then faltered. "It's just...she's my other half."

He got a little more serious, then nodded. "I've never been a twin, so I don't know what it's like. But...I can understand the need to protect her, being as close as you are, and also the feeling of her being taken away. That's what you feel, right?"

I nodded. "You...read me that easily?"

Sasuke smiled, a gentle smile that I liked, and nodded. "You're clearer to me than other people."

That made me blush for some reason and I looked away, embarrassed.

"Dobe, no matter who she falls in love with, she'll still love you, y'know," Sasuke said quietly. "In the meantime...you should find someone you can be happy with, okay?"

I nodded sadly, my eyes welling up.

Sasuke glanced over at me and then got upset. "Oh jeez, have I made you cry? Aw, don't cry, dobe, or I'm gonna cry too!"

"Sorry," I muttered, "but I just feel so lonely."

The deck and beach were now empty of people. It was just my sister and Sensei, and me and Sasuke.

Sasuke deliberated for a second, then sighed. "I'm sorry, dobe."

"It's okay," I said quietly, my voice cracking. I choked on my tears. "I...I don't wanna cry in front of you."

Sasuke was looking at me with sad eyes, his eyebrows furrowed. Suddenly, he wrapped an arm around my head, in something of a hug. "You can cry in front of me any time you need, dobe. You're important to me. I don't care. You know, it makes me jealous when the shoulder you're leaning on isn't mine. We're friends, aren't we?"

I nodded into his arm. He smelled so nice. It was soft, like clean clothes and a scent I could only describe as...Sasuke.

"Thanks, teme," I whispered, as he ruffled my hair and pulled his arm away. He looked at me with those kind, dark eyes and smiled.

"For you, it's okay," he said.

And at that moment, I knew my sister hadn't found the someone she wanted to be with forever.

I found mine, too.
Throughly On Top of the World by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Ha ha ha, I loved this chapter! What a crazy chapter-- lots of stuff happening at once. Can you keep up? MWA HA HA!
Kisses,
Your Favorite Princess, Sarah-hime
SAKURA

Everyone left after dinner, with Naruto being particularly quiet and reflective. I linked arms with him as we were walking back to the hotel.

"What's up?" I whispered in his ear, his hair brushing against the bridge of my nose.

"Nothing," he said, giving me a quick smile. "Just...happy. And confused. And a little surprised at myself."

I chuckled. "Okay, okay. I won't ask about it. But I want you to tell me sometime."

"I will. Promise." He locked pinkies with me.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Temari was changing into her pajamas and I sat on the bed, reading a book. Finally, she said, "What's up with you? Your hands are shaking a little."

I hadn't even noticed. I looked at my hands. They were shaking, but ever so slightly. Temari reached out and took both of them in hers.

Suddenly the memory of dancing with Sensei was flung back at me and my face turned hot. I quickly yanked my hands away from her and put them to my cheeks, embarrassed, my heart pounding. I could barely suppress a grin.

Temari looked at me, wide-eyed. "...What the hell was that?"

"He danced with me," I breathed.

"Who?"

"Arisaka-sensei."

"What?!"

"It's true, it's true, I swear," I said, breathing heavily. "He danced with me. When I stepped outside, he was there on the beach, and he took my hands like you just did and he danced with me!"

Temari's jaw hung open. "You're serious, aren't you?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" I laughed.

"About Sensei?"

I faltered. "He's my teacher."

"And you're his student."

"Dammit, what am I doing?" I whispered, gritting my teeth. "Temari, I'm such a stupid girl. I am such a stupid girl!"

"So is everyone else in this school who has a crush on him," Temari pointed out, then went over to her suitcase and pulled out a bag. The label on it said, "11 Drops of Rainbow" and I realized it was the shop we were at when I bought my dress.

"I bought something for you when you weren't looking," Temari told me. "I was thinking about you and Sensei when I did, and I wanted you to wear it sometime. I know it would definitely catch his eye. And if you're thinking it's something like those fan club whores wear, then think again...you'll be surprised," she told me.

Surprised and flattered, I pulled out the item in the bag.

It was a very simple sort of shirt, but it radiated some sort of ethereality. The shirt was a very silky, pure white color, like virgin snow, and covered with a gossamer layer of opaque cloth, also white, like it had filmy wings. It was longer than most, and it could've been a short dress.

"It's beautiful," I said, wondering what I could wear it with. For a second I considered black slacks, but that wouldn't look very good. Jeans? Very nice jeans, maybe, but not normal jeans. Where could you get nice jeans, anyway? Most jeans were casual-- all mine were, anyway.

How about a skirt? I considered a few, but took them off the list of possibilities. The shirt was too beautiful to wear with anything.

"What do I wear it with?" I asked.

"I solved that problem too," said Temari, nodding at the bag.

I instantly dove my hand into the bag, desperately curious to see what could go with the shirt.

From the bag I pulled out a belt made of silk, but it was a grass green color. From it dangled a diamond-shaped pendant with emeralds in it.

"...I don't remember seeing this at the store," I said, holding it up. The emeralds were dazzling.

"I didn't buy it. It was mine," she said in explanation, straightening her black pajama top.

"But wait, what do I wear for, like, pants?" I said.

"You don't. It's a tunic, honey. you just wear it like it is, maybe with some leggings or whatever, but I say you just wear it without all that. Try it on," she suggested.

I slipped off my clothes and put the tunic on. Wearing it without the best, it was more like a nightshirt that reached to halfway down my thighs. It was loose, especially around the waist and chest.

"Now put the belt on," Temari instructed.

I obeyed, taking the belt and tying it in the back, making sure that the emerald pendant was in the front. I shook my hair out of it's ponytail and looked at myself in the mirror.

The angel in the mirror lifted a hand to her mouth, her leaf green eyes wide with surprise. At the same time, my hand traveled to my mouth, and my eyes went wide, but I felt as if I was imitating the ethereal beauty.

Who was that girl staring back at me?

"That's me," I whispered, trying to convince myself. But I could hardly believe it-- I had never been more beautiful.

"This...it's so much better than the other dress," I giggled, remembering the other one. It was also pure white, but it was more flouncy and it didn't have long sleeves like this one did; it didn't have sleeves at all. And while this one also had a belt, this one was a medium-sized dark green ribbon, and the other was much larger, sewn onto the dress, and a very light mint green color.

This dress was beautiful. While some would show off bust size, this one defined the way my hips and shoulders curved, making me look delicate and soft. It emphasized the way my cheeks flushed easily, and the light peach color of my skin, and made my eyes shine, bringing out the green and making them deeper and a darker shade.

I realized something as I mentally compared the two dresses: Temari had bought this in case the other one didn't work out for me. And still, she gave it to me, when she could've kept it. I laughed aloud, now knowing that this dress she bought completely outshone the other in every way.

I adored it.

"Temari, thank you!" I said, running over to her and throwing my arms around her. I felt lighter and more airy than before-- perhaps the dress was messing with me mind.

She laughed. "I'm so glad you like it. To be honest, I didn't like the other dress on you...so I purchased this one while you were getting changed out of it because I thought this one would look better on you. It does, doesn't it?"

"Yes," I giggled, running over to the mirror to admire myself again. My hair flowed in waves down my bak and shoulders, and I felt so glad that I'd decided to grow it out. When I was younger, I used to have very straight hair until I had it cut short. After a while, I liked it that way, and kept it as such-- but until maybe a year ago, I'd decided to try growing it out again and, much to my surprise, it was no longer straight and spiky, but soft with curly waves.

"I like it-- and I dare you to wear it to the masquerade dance we're having on Thursday night," Temari said in a low, mischievous voice, her face breaking into a dangerous grin.

I whirled around to face her and she grabbed my arms. "I can't," I said hastily, looking down. "I didn't even know about it--"

"I forgot to mention that every year on these field trips, we hold a differently themed dance," Temari said, her voice resonating with excitement, "and this year is the masquerade. Everyone will be stunned, asking, 'Who's that girl? Who's that girl?' Sensei will be beside himself because of course he'll know it's you, and--"

"And what? He'll dance with me again? You're joking," I said, laughing. "Sensei would get in trouble, in front of all those people--"

"But it is a masquerade," Temari breathed excitedly, enunciating each syllable so it sounded like mass-ker-aaaade. "No one could know it was him. You yourself wouldn't know. Sensei would be careful--"

"What makes you think he'd want to--"

"Dance with you? He did so tonight, didn't he? Sensei loves--"

"To put me on the edge--"

"No, he doesn't love to put you on the edge, he loves y--"

"Yes, I know, he loves yanking my chain. He's jerking me around, and I don't even know why. He's never seemed cruel to me--"

"SENSEI LOVES YOU!" Temari blurted out, shaking me a little. "God, don't you see, Sakura?! It's in the way he looks at you and smiles at you and treats you differently than he treats all the other students and the way he's danced with you and held your hands and loved you as much as he has--"

"Wait," I said, confused, "what are you saying, Temari?"

"You're telling me you've never actually noticed how he feels about you? Sensei has told me himself that he loves you, and I would never lie to you!"

I didn't-- couldn't-- process this information. It just seemed so ludicrous to me, so insane.

"Sensei's smarter than that," I said dumbly.

In answer, Temari's jaw dropped, incredulous at what I said. "You're kidding me, right?"

"Um, no," I said, looking at her like she was the biggest fool I knew. "Two things: why would Sensei do something to risk his career like that, and two, why would Sensei...treat me...special...?"

Temari smiled at me. "Because he loves you," she said quietly.

"Could it be true?" I whispered, talking to myself. "Could he love me? There's no way--"

"There is a way, and it's taken place, Sakura," Temari told me gently, smiling slightly. "Do you believe me?"

"That's absolutely ridiculous, but that's okay," I whispered, covering my eyes with a hand.

Temari smiled more broadly. "Told you, dear heart."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

That night, I had a dream.

I dreamt that I got up out of bed, straightening my shorts and baggy tee shirt that I wore to bed, and went outside of the room. I wandered through the hall and finally, I found him. He was leaning up against the wall, looking tired and thoughtful, like he did the mornings after he had patrol duty. His brown hair was mussed a little, his calm gray eyes were soft and quiet, and a gentle smile on his face. He was staring into space like he was thinking of something important, but I knew that he was just bored.

I watched him for a second, and finally, I spoke.

"Sensei?"

He turned his head, surprised, and finally smiled when he saw me. "You shouldn't be out of bed," he said quietly, but he wasn't rebuking me.

I walked toward him and sat down next to his legs. He slid down the wall and landed next to me, his arm touching mine for just a second.

"Sensei," I whispered, "I'm kind of confused."

"About what?" Sensei asked me, his voice kind.

"...You," I said finally.

He couldn't hide his surprise. "Me?"

"If I tried to tell you something else, you'd see right through me," I explained, brushing it off.

"...Okay, tell me how I confuse you."

"I don't know," I told him honestly, "that's why I'm so confused!"

He laughed, ruffling my hair, which was in a messy bun. I undid the bun because it was tight enough to hurt my head.

"Even if this is just a dream, I'm glad to admit even that much," I said, earning something of a surprised look from my teacher. I didn't care-- I was feeling exhausted. My vision was starting to blur dangerously, and my head was spinning. "I'm really tired," I said, my voice almost slurring with exhaustion.

Sensei just laughed quietly, and I felt my head fall on his shoulder. He was warm and he smelled nice-- like something I'd smelled before, but once I was close to naming it, it would slip away from me quietly.

"You wanna know something strange?" Sensei asked. "You're the closest thing I've ever smelt to come close to being the scent of sunshine."

"That's nice," I mumbled, then remembered something he did the last time I was wandering the halls.

Thank God it was just a dream.

I sat up, leaned over and kissed his cheek. "That's payback for last time," I whispered, then everything went dark.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I sat up in bed, confused and blushing. "Ack, what the hell was that dream?!" I whispered, and on an instinct, turned to look at Temari. Much to my surprise, she was sitting up in bed and facing me, staring with wide eyes.

"Sakura, what hell was that? I wake up because someone's knocking at the hotel door in the middle of the night when I have to wake up tomorrow at SIX IN THE FRICKIN MORNING to go jogging with Shikamaru and when I open the door, I see you laying there, asleep or dead. So I freak out and carry you back in and when I realize you're mumbling I know it's okay because you're not dead-- but you would've been a lot easier to forgive if you had actually been dead! Where were you?! What's going on?! Make it quick, because I don't wanna stay up any longer or I'll be a demon when I wake up tomorrow!"

I stared, wide-eyed.

"I thought it was a dream...but it was real," I said, realization of what had happened creeping over me.

I was so upset that I slapped myself, hard. "You STUPID girl!" I cried. "What the hell are you doing?!"

"Good question!" Temari snapped dryly. "Tell me some other time, I'm going to bed. Night, darling-- and don't wake me up again, y'hear?"

"Yeah, yeah," I said quietly, lying back on my pillows.

I swallowed, upset, excited, confused, nervous, embarrassed, flying, falling, and throughly on top of the world.
End Notes:
I feel bad for Sensei-- he's the one that's being jerked around, not Sakura.
She Turns Me Inside-Out by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Aww, Kenshin, it's okay! I'm here for you, Kenshin, I'm here for you!
This chapter is for the wonderful Miki Everless, to whom I owe eternal servitude for adding me to her unfinished favorites list, at the very top, no less. :D I am in nirvana!
Kisses, and a thousand to Miki,
Sarah-hime
KENSHIN

I watched around the corner, seeing a throughly frightened Temari lift her friend up and haul her back into their room.

Sakura had mumbled three things before she fell asleep, all making me laugh so hard that my whole body shook and I had to hide my face in my hand.

Thing one: "That's payback for last time."

Thing two, as I carried her back to her room: (twitches a little) "Sensei, your driving skills must be questionable."

"Yes," I'd replied, trying to stifle my laughter and failing, "I am a questionable twenty-two year old, aren't I?" What did she mean, my driving skills were questionable?

Maybe she meant she couldn't trust me?

That's okay. Because it meant that if she knew she couldn't trust me, she had considered trusting me before that point. And that meant she was thinking about me.

Thing three: "Sensei, I hope I never meet your ex-girlfriend."

"Why are you so love-illerterate?! Have you eaten the fruit of obliviousness?!" I'd asked her, laughing again. "You're such a dimwit sometimes. But it's okay."

Now I leaned against the wall, remembering the feeling of her in my arms. It was a nice feeling-- she was warm and soft and, to me, utterly perfect. Like some sort of angel.

I sighed, putting a hand over her mouth.

She's the worst liar.

She beats herself up for the tiniest, craziest things.

She thinks my driving skills are questionable.

Sakura turns me inside out.

Always.

I want to stay by her side forever.

Is she close enough for me to reach?
You're The Only Reason by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
The song was random. I don't even know where it came from... *sweatdrop*
All my reviewers have disappeared. It's made me very sad.
Hey, I'm reading this awesome fic, and you've GOTTA check it out! See, I'm real picky and critical of fics, so if I say it's good, then it is GOOD. It's "A Vampire Rose" by Crimson Lily. It rocks-- you've gotta check it out!
Kisses,
Sarah-hime
NARUTO

Wednesday passed by quickly.

Sasuke told me that on Thursday, the day before our last, there would be a masquerade.

"We hold a differently themed dance every year on these trips-- this year is the masquerade," he told me at breakfast, shoveling scrambled eggs into his mouth.

I nodded. "Sounds fun."

"It's not-- it's a bunch of gils flocking you and asking you to dance."

I kept the comment that he could dance with me if he wanted to myself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sasuke and I eventually went back to Meroko's because he needed to sing again in her bar.

"Sasuke, how's your trip going?" cried Meroko when we came in. She grinned at me. "Hello again-- Naruto, right?"

"Yeah," I said, smiling back. "And you're Meroko."

She nodded, and turned back to Sasuke. "You're singing that song today," she told him. "It's the most popular one you sing."

Sasuke sighed and grunted noncommittally. "I hate that song," he said wrinkling his nose in distaste.

"Well, they love it. Sorry!" Meroko didn't sound that sorry as she straightened up his shirt and smoothed his hair. I wanted to do that.

"Naruto, I'll get you a seat up front and a martini," she told me. "Sasuke, you're on in seven, mm'kay?" She tossed a water bottle at him and he caught it deftly in one hand.

"Sure, sure," he said. He opened the water bottle and took a long drink of it, then paused for breath, looking over at me. He offered me the bottle.

"Dobe? You're looking at me funny. Do you want a sip?"

I blinked, then nodded, taking it from his hand, our fingertips brushing. I took a sip, the water cool against my lips and throat. It calmed my nerves a little bit, which were already haywire from being around Sasuke, now that I recognized my feelings for him. I was surprised things weren't more awkward between us.

But why would it be? I would be the only on being awkward-- surely he didn't feel the same way about me.

I wondered for a second how my sister would handle it when I told her that I loved Sasuke. That I couldn't stay by her side anymore-- because now I had Sasuke, or however brief a time.

Meroko prepared me a drink, explaining that when it's nonalcoholic it was referred to as "virgin."

I asked her if it was like extra virgin olive oil.

She told me that was different.

There was a dim spotlight on the stage, where Sasuke stood now. He tapped on the microphone, cleared his throat, and waited.

I quickly sat down in the same seat that I had the first time I'd gone to Meroko's. It took me a second to realize that this table was reserved for Sasuke.

Sasuke took a step toward the microphone and began to sing, a cappella, his voice soft and longing.

"Far, far away from here,
More silent than the sky,
I fly past fields of gold,
Soaring on the wind..."

I was completely blown away. It was so beautiful, I wanted to cry. I quickly put a hand over my mouth.

"Will I always fly alone?
Time will never tell.
I wish to walk with you someday to find my home,
The home I had forgotten what seems an age ago.
I want you to take me there, back to the place I've lost."

It didn't rhyme, or make sense, and that was okay. It didn't need to, like many songs did. It was just pure and simple-- asking someone they loved to take them back. To take them to where their heart was.

"When will I ever find a place to call my own?
Perhaps your heart is the place where I belong.
When will I ever find a way to speak my love,
To you, the only one, who saves me from the dark."

The words resonated within me. I felt them pierce my soul. I wanted to tell him-- I wanted to tell him just what he'd sang.

"Far, far away from here,
Against the setting sun
I walk, holding hands with you,
My heart at peace at last."

I wanted him. I wanted him and his beautiful voice and his kind eyes, and the way he looked at me and the way he made me feel. I longed for his hands and his smile and the way he talked to me, gently and teasing, and the way he said my name.

"We've reached a turning point,
A fork in our path.
I'll choose whatever you choose, out of love for you.
I'll open my lonely heart, to you, who understands.
Together, we'll run into the future, embracing all our fears."

I resisted the urge to cry.

"I've finally found a place that I can call my own.
Now, residing in your arms, I say 'Take me away.'
Take me to the moon, where we'll live alone
Take me to that place, where I'll love you for always."

He finished, and there was silence for a moment. I looked around and saw some people crying. Then, there was this huge, sweeping applause and Sasuke bowed. He jumped off the stage and sat in the chair across from me and said, facing the stage, "I hate that song."

"Why?" I asked. "It's beautiful."

"It doesn't make sense to me. You know, if you wanna go somewhere, then go!"

"But Sasuke, don't you understand the sentiment of wanting someone to take you there?" I asked.

That got him, I could tell. His eyes changed expression and he turned to look at me, his gaze intense. "What did'jya say, dobe?"

"I think, to sing that song to its full potential, you have to understand the feeling behind it-- the love and the desire of being with someone," I said, smiling. "Just think of someone you want to be with, and imagine you're singing it to them."

He stared at me, an unreadable expression on his face. I didn't understand-- he was so intrigued by this idea, as if the thought had never crossed his mind before.

Without warning, I informed him, "Sasuke, if you wanted to, you could woo any girl of your choice."

He blinked in surprise, the furrowed his brow, but smiled. "Huh? Where's this coming from, dobe?" He reached over and ruffled my hair. I bowed my head slightly under his touch.

"I wonder if my sister will dance with Sensei tomorrow," I said as he rubbed my head.

"You keep changing subjects. It's exhausting," Sasuke told me.

"I don't really like dances," I said.

"I'll only go if you're going," Sasuke said.

I blinked. "...Really?"

He grinned at me. "Yeah-- dobe, you're the only reason I'd attend something stupid like that."

I felt myself smiling despite myself.

"Thanks," I said, meaning it.
Wonderful Tonight by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
This is the chapter that Kensaku fans have been waiting for-- no joking you.
KENSHIN

Normally, I never cared for student events like dances-- it just meant people bothering me and watching happy couples float across the room.

But this time, it was a masquerade. I could go anonymously and just chaperone like I was supposed to without students bothering me!

Now, let me get this straight. I knew I had a fan club. I acknowledged it, but I politely ignored them. So, every dance, I would sort of hide out, watching them as they hawkishly tried to find me and ferret me out. Once, a girl did find me and started getting too touchy-feely. Like, sitting on my lap, grabbing my hand, hugging me, making me feel like I should be arrested... it was awful. But now, with no one to tell who was behind the mask, I could stand out in the open.

I could see the person I wanted to see.

...I could even dance with her, passing off as a student. The guys were all around my height, and I was only a few years older than them. Could it work? I was risking a lot... but it was worth it.

The night of the masquerade, I was wearing a tuxedo and a black mask. It was a very formal event, and people started pouring in to the hotel ball room wearing fancy dresses, suits, tuxedos, and masks. Eventually, I saw Temari wander in, wearing a red silk gown and a matching red mask, her hair sleek and straight.

She wandered over to me and said, "Hey. You're waiting for someone, aren't you?"

I nodded, unashamed. She knew, and she cared.

I saw Shikamaru, wearing the uniform black tux and mask wave her over. "Hey, Temari," he said in his easygoing voice. "Nice dress, hon."

"Thanks, dear," she said, going over to him. They went over to a group of their friends, and I scanned them for Sakura.

The boys were all wearing black tuxedos and black masks, barely distinguishable. I thought silently that only girls got to have fun with choosing outfits for formal events like these.

Tenten wore a thin, tissue-paper like pink gown and a dusty rose colored mask, her hair in an elegant bun. Her hands had pink gloves on them too, and she linked her arms with Neji's.

Ino and Sai were talking. Ino wore a deep purple gown that swooped it's way down to the floor, with a wide, open back. She wore a amethyst colored mask and had her hair in a braid.

Hinata, standing with Kiba, wore a lavender mermaid gown covered in lace. Her mask was also lavender and she held a lavender fan. Her long black hair tumbled down her back.

I saw Naruto, Sasuke, Choji, and Lee all talking together, laughing and looking around the room.

No Sakura.

Maybe she wasn't coming. maybe she'd gotten sick. Maybe she didn't like things like this--

And then the door to the ball room entered, and I felt my heart stop.

She walked in, her hair curling down her back in beautiful cascades. She was positively glowing in a short white dress with an emerald belt, complete with a white mask and white ballet shoes, the ribbons tied criss-crossing up her legs. She looked like an angel, floating into the room with a grace that put everyone else to shame.

I swallowed, overcome by my emotion. I loved her, and now she hadn't looked more beautiful to me.

She looked around, slightly disoriented, unaware that almost every eye in the room was on her. At once, I saw Ryu Takashi go up to her and asked her to dance.

Sakura looked a little concerned, then kindly and politely turned him down, smiling bashfully.

She started to walk over to her friends when her brother turned around and saw her, completely struck, as if he never knew his sister could look so beautiful.

I didn't now about it either, Naruto, I thought dryly.

Naruto grinned and held out his hands and she took them shyly, also cracking a smile. He pulled her gently along, taking her over to their friends, who all turned and stared. The girls (except Temari, which led me to think she had gotten the dress) clapped their hands over their mouth, no doubt asking her where she had gotten the dress. The boys chuckled at the girls' frantic excitement and nodded, voicing their approval.

Sakura was blushing behind the mask.

There was loud, thumping pop music that kids these days liked. And, not for the first time at these dances, I wished for my iPod stocked with heavy metal and hard rock.

I wondered for a second what kinds of music Sakura liked, thinking that I should ask her sometime. She wouldn't like heavy and power metal like I did-- she probably had mellow, light, airy music on her iPod. No Nightwish or Lacuna Coil or Metallica or Black Sabbath. No Alice Cooper or Iron Maiden or Dio or Ozzy.

That was discouraging. I'd dated before, six girls, but never really loved them, saying, "You don't get along with my music, you don't get along with me, babe," like the stupid punk kid that I was.

She probably didn't like the songs "Rainbow in the Dark" or "Holy Diver", "The Unforgiven" or "Dead to the World", or even the songs "Run to the Hills" or "Metal Militia." But if she didn't like it, I'd throw it away. It was okay. I wanted to be with her.

I watched her for the next half an hour, various people asking to dance with her. She nodded politely and danced with them, one song each, and didn't seem to get too attached.

I waited quietly for a chance to ask her.

Finally, she took a break and sat in a chair by the wall, drinking a glass of water, and that's when I went over and sat down next to her.

She didn't recognize me, but looked at me from the corner of her eye. "Hi," she said.

"...Hi," I said back, resisting a smile. "It's pretty hot in here, isn't it?"

"Yeah," she agreed, sipping her water. "The music sucks too. I wish they'd play some...oh, I don't know. Something more my style."

"And what would that be?" I asked.

"Heavy metal," she answered.

I was stunned. "...That's my favorite kind of music," I said, barely able to contain my excitement. I couldn't believe it. "Who do you like?"

"Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Metallica... um... Tarja Tururen, but she's more symphonic... um... Disturbed... the list just goes on and on," she said, counting off each band on her fingers.

"Those...I love those bands too," I said, even more surprised than before.

"I haven't met anyone else with the same tastes as me!" Sakura cried, looking at me, surprised and pleased. "How cool is that?"

I almost laughed. "Really cool. Cooler than you think."

"Hey, you wanna dance?" she asked me, still not knowing who I was.

"The song's in the middle, though," I informed her. "You're doing one song per person, right? I wouldn't get to dance much."

"We'll dance the next one then," she said, and smiled. "You wanna go outside?"

I nodded. "Sure."

She stood, her dress making an extremely light swishing noise. I followed her and she glanced back at me. "What's your name, anyway?"

"You'll figure it out," I said, smiling. She laughed at my ambiguity.

We went out into a garden-like are behind the hotel. There was a gazebo, and she ran to it. "Oh, how neat is that?" she cried excitedly, whirling around and looking at me, eyes shining.

I just smiled at her, leaning against the railing leading up to the gazebo. I could still hear the music pretty well, and the other song was starting to end.

She stopped. "Your smile seems really familiar," she said slowly. "...It's not the smile that I hate, though. Who are you? I've gotta know!"

"You'll figure it out," I repeated, puzzling and exciting her.

"You're a mystery to me," she said quietly. "Are you in any of my classes?"

"...One," I said. That was technically right, wasn't it?

She studied me. "You seem really familiar."

"Maybe you're in love with me," I joked.

"Nah, I'm already in love with someone," she told me, smiling apologetically.

That threw me. "Huh? Who would that be?" I asked.

Sakura's cheeks turned pink behind her mask. "I'm not telling."

A new song started-- quiet, soft, and sweet-- a mellow guitar sounded and I recognized the song "Wonderful Tonight." Who was this DJ his impeccable timing? I'd have to thank him later or something.

It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her makeup and brushes her long blond hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."


I looked over at her, and she turned even redder. "A slow dance, huh?" she said, as if she had almost expected this to happen. "Figures, huh? If you wanna find the person you like and ask them, it's okay..."

I cut her off. "No, that's okay. I'd really rather dance with you."

She gave me a confused smile. Like she was asking why I would want to dance with her. She stood at the top of the steps of the gazebo, so she was looking down at me a little as I stood on the ground.

"I was hoping to get a slow dance with you," I said honestly, chuckling and turning a little red myself.

"Yeah? I'm flattered," she said. "Maybe when we dance I'll figure out who you are."

I walked up the stairs and she backed into the lit gazebo. So far, none of the other students had found it yet, and I wanted to keep it that way.

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."


Finally, she placed one hand on my shoulder, and I gently placed a hand on her waist. I held out my other hand and she softly fitted hers into place. I grasped her hand, firm and tenderly, to let her know that I wasn't letting go.

She stared at my hand for a second, something like recognition in her green eyes. Finally, she murmured, "No way," and looked straight into my eyes.

I stared back, and I knew that she identified me.

"Sensei," she breathed, starting to pull away, but I just held on tighter.

"You didn't pull away Tuesday night on the beach," I said quietly, gazing at her. She looked away from me, something like embarrassment on her face.

I lifted my mask off and looked at her straight in the eyes. The jewels on her mask sparkled around them, framing them beautifully, but I still gently lifted it off to see her face.

She looked up at me with a ridiculously pink face, so pink it made me want to laugh. "I'm not letting you go," I said, my cheek on her head, wrapping my arm around her waist. Her hand was pressed against my chest, and I held the other one tightly in my hand. Her passive resistance made me want to hold her even tighter.

"I can't dance with you," she said quietly, embarrassed. "You're my teacher."

"That didn't stop you before," I told her earnestly, looking into her eyes.

She bit her bottom lip. I loved how rosy it was.

"Surely you know how I feel about you?" I said quietly, letting go of her hand and gently touching the side of her face. She lay the hand I'd just let go of on my chest as well.

I feel wonderful tonight because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you don't realize how much I love you.


"What?" She breathed, her eyes getting wide. Was that...hope I saw in them?

"I'll say it as many times as you need me to," I whispered, leaning my forehead against hers and gazing into her beautiful green eyes. "I'll say it as much as you need to hear it. I love you. Please, Sakura...choose me."

Sakura looked down at the ground and a smile came to her lips. "...I chose you a long time ago, Sensei."

I sighed in relief and held her tight, her head leaning against my chest, my lips pressed to her soft hair, as we swayed to the music. "...That's a relief."

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head,
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."


I whispered with the last line, "Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight," making her sigh happily. Finally, I tilted her face up toward me and looked into those green eyes that I loved so much. I leaned in and I did exactly what I'd been longing to do for so long: I kissed her.

It didn't last very long,and it was simple-- soft and sweet. Her scent filled my nose and when we broke apart, she smiled, saying nothing, and leaning against me gently.

I would never let her go. Not now, not ever. No matter what I had to give up.

And for the rest of the night, we danced to music only she and I could hear.
End Notes:
Okay, everyone. Now that KenSaku is pretty much wrapped up and they're happy and things are fine and dandy, we're gonna focus on Naruto and Sasuke. Stay tuned, everyone!
Also, I have two more fics in mind already, soon to be published, but I just wanted to say: If you have something in mind, may it be a oneshot or a full fic, just shoot me a message. I'm totally ready to take on the challenge. Except I don't like doing yuri. Yaoi I can handle. If you want me to do a yuri, I will, but keep in mind that I don't enjoy them.
My email is on my bio page, and you can just shoot me a message using TONFA. Thanks for all the support from ChicagoIsCalling7, iheartnotebooks123, and Miki Everless for their stupendous reviews, and a big thanks for Crimson Lily, who has said very nice things about me in her story, which is shaping up to be a favorite!!!!!!
Heaven by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
I just want everyone to know that everything that happens is happening for a reason, okay?
It is 6:05 Monday morning on July 13th, 2009. I am leaving for a trip today and won't be back until Friday-- and that's why I'm posting as much as I can in this time. Because I love you guys. And remember...everything happens for a reason in my stories, okay?
NARUTO

My sister had wandered off with a young man who I thought I recognized. There was something familiar about his eyes... though I was the room's length away from him, I could see them. They were a light gray color, like the sky after a snowstorm. They had that effect on me too, when I looked into them-- mysterious and almost eerily silent, but it was that deafening silence and calmness that could be shattered with one word that I liked about them.

Now I stood there, bored, in the throng of my friends. They were talking to people that I recognized-- a few were in my classes, and the rest I knew from seeing them in the hallway. There was a girl talking to Sasuke, and he was telling her something that made her laugh. I wondered what they were talking about.

I also wondered why I was jealous. Sasuke could talk to anyone he wanted. It wasn't like I... okay, I cared a lot. Was I being possessive? Yes, I was. Was I being unfair? Yes, I was being that too.

The song that had been playing, "Wonderful Tonight," had just ended and people were shaking off their slow dance atmosphere and started to rock again, swinging their hips and dancing to pop music.

Temari walked over to me, a glass in one hand. She followed my eyes and saw Sasuke in her line of vision. She looked at him, and then she looked at me staring at him. I heard her tiny gasp of surprise and when I turned my head to look at her, I saw her evergreen eyes searching me, searching my soul.

I waited for her reaction. I could tell that when she'd figured it out, she was shocked. I'd never seen her this agitated-- she always seemed to composed. I was also surprised that she'd figured it out with just a glance-- I should've given her more credit. That girl was sharp, her mind grasping things faster than other people could. I knew that she had an untapped talent for observation.

Finally, she closed her gaping mouth and said, "I wasn't expecting this."

"I wasn't either," I said honestly, "I just decided to accept it."

She looked down at her drink and said, "I'm not mad or upset, y'know. Just surprised. I mean, I had never even thought..."

"I didn't know until a little while ago," I told her, trying to make her feel at least a little better. "Not even my sister knows."

That got her. She whipped her head toward me. "What?!"

"I haven't told her."

"No way-- you tell her everything!"

"I know," I said, "it's just as a surprise to me as it is to you, Temari."

Temari pulled a loose hair from her bangs. "...Just...gimme a minute to organize my thoughts."

"As long as you need," I said.

She was silent for probably a good six or seven minutes, her eyes staring intensely at nothing. Finally, she said, "I am not against your feelings."

I almost laughed. "That's all you want to say, Temari?"

She nodded. "There."

I patted her bare shoulder. She was wearing a strapless red silk gown, and I'd caught Shikamaru staring at her and smiling a lot all night.

I had only now noticed that Sasuke had disappeared while I was talking to Temari. I this crowd, he could've been anywhere and I wouldn't be able to find him.

I also noticed that the girl he was talking to was gone. A sickening though hit me and I wondered if they were dancing.

I tried to blow it off. Whatever. If Sasuke wants to dance with her, he can.

Instinctively, though, I felt something in my chest tighten and harden, and my throat closed up. I had to find him. I started pushing my way through the thick mess of dancing couples. He may not have ever given a damn about me, but he'd said we were friends, right? That was good enough for me.

I started to walk quicker, more desperate, looking for him.

Where are you, Sasuke? I need you, I need you.

I made my way to a door that very few people were near to. It led outside and down a path surrounded with trees, which were strung up with lights.

I went outside and started walking down the path. Though it was lit, I couldn't see very well, and without warning, I tripped.

The ground was coming closer much too fast for me, and I close my eyes, waiting for the impact of hitting the gravel path, but a pair of strong arms reached out and grabbed me, one hand wrapping around my elbow, the other clutching my left hand. That person yanked me up and suddenly, I was standing nose-to-nose with Sasuke.

He smiled at me and his eyes were teasing, kind. "Seriously, dobe, what would you do without me? You'd be in a sorry state without me around, wouldn't you?"

He was close enough for me to kiss him.

I turned my head and pulled myself away. "Thanks," I said, my voice controlled. Be like Temari, I thought. Nothing fazes you-- you take things in stride.

However, Sasuke held on. "Hey dobe, let's walk."

"Okay..." I said hesitantly, and we started walking down the path.

After a while, we came to a gazebo, and I saw my sister and her mysterious suitor ignoring the pounding rock music playing and dancing slowly to their own music that only they could hear. She had her head on his chest, her arms around his neck, and he had one arm around her waist and the other around her upper back, squeezing her to him as tightly and gently as he could.

I looked a little closer and saw that it was Arisaka-sensei.

"So they're together now, eh?" said Sasuke quietly. "Who woulda thunk?"

"...As long as he loves her, it's okay," I said in return, just as quiet. "I know that she loves him."

Sasuke glanced over at me. "...Let's leave them an keep walking. They deserve their privacy."

I nodded, my throat closing up.

Well, Sensei, I thought. You did it. You took her from me...but that's okay. That's okay.

Please take care of her.

We walked away from him until we reached a lake. I had seen it from my hotel window earlier that day, and I had been thinking that I wanted to go to it. But I wasn't sure if I'd get the chance.

I heard the music still. More loud rock, but I knew that soon, they'd be playing another slow dance.

"...They're gonna be playing another slow dance soon," I said, glancing up at Sasuke, then quickly looking at the lake. "If you wanna go back and dance with that girl, it's okay."

Sasuke gave me a puzzled look. "...What girl, Naruto?"

"That girl that you were talking to earlier," I said, managing to keep the bitterness from my voice. What a child I was.

Sasuke's eyes widened, then he laughed. "Omigawd, dobe, seriously? That was Meroko's little sister, Tokiko, and she was telling me about how Meroko might be moving her bar to a different location! I was just saying that I hopes she fires me when she moves, because Meroko doesn't pay me enough! Aw man, I can't believe you thought I was interested in her!"

I couldn't deny that I felt relieved. "Oh..."

Sasuke looked at me from the corner of his eye and asked me suddenly, "Were you jealous?"

"Yes," I replied without thinking, then mentally kicked myself.

Sasuke blinked in surprise, and I saw that he was biting his lip.

I hadn't noticed it before, but the slow song I anticipated had started. I heard piano music, followed by a guitar.

Oh, thinking about our younger years
There was only you and me
We were young and wild and free.


"I know this song," I said, trying to cover up my blunder. "It's 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams. Do you know...this...one..." I noticed that Sasuke had taken a step closer and was staring at me with a serious, almost sad look in his eyes.

Now nothing can take you away from me
We've been down that road before
But that's over now
You keep me coming back for more...


"Dobe...I've been thinking," Sasuke said quietly, even closer now. I felt my heart starting to pound unnecessarily. I cursed my blood for betraying me and rushing to my face, but then I noticed that there was some color in Sasuke's cheeks too. But he wasn't embarrassed or shy like I was. there was something about him that seemed...desperate, almost pleading with me.

He reached up and I felt his hand on the side of my face. "If...If I..."

Baby, you're all I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms


"Sasuke?" I asked, my voice quivering, but he shushed me by putting his fingers on my lips. He bit his lower lip and looked away from me for a second.

"Just...stand still," he said, his voice a little strained. "...Be quiet."

I'm finding it hard to believe
We're in Heaven


"If I told...you...that...wait. If...if I confessed my love to...someone...would you be okay with it?" he asked me, biting his lip again. It was a bad habit of his that I'd noticed he'd do before, but only when he was upset, nervous, or...around...me.

And love is all that I need
And I found it here in your heart


"Wait, let me rephrase that," Sasuke said, his hands on my shoulders. "If...if I...Naruto, if I was interested...like, I loved someone, how would you feel?"

I was confused and a little breathless, but I told him the truth. "I'd feel...jealous..."

I saw his eyes light up with something like hope. "But if I told you who that person was, would you care?"

I nodded slowly, drawing in a breath.

Isn't too hard to see
We're in Heaven.


Sasuke leaned in and whispered in my ear, "That person is you, Naruto."

My world stopped then.

He loved me.

I felt my eyes widen and my breath catch. My heart rate exploded and it wasn't blood pumping through my veins, it was liquid gold.

Oh, once in your life, you find someone
Who can turn our world around
Bring you up when you're feelings down


Sasuke looked at me, hesitating, then saying, "What...what's your answer?"

Yeah, nothing can change what you mean to me
Oh, there's lots that I could say
But just hold me now
Cause our love will light the way


I wanted to say yes. I wanted to scream yes. But something held me back.

It was Temari.

Or more, Temari's reaction.

What was it she had said, done? Well, she had been shocked, that was for sure. "I wasn't expecting this," she had said. "I'm not mad or upset, y'know. Just surprised."

Temari, I realized, was a kind girl.

And baby, you're all that I want
When you're lying here in my arms
I'm finding it hard to believe
We're in Heaven.


And the thing I knew was that not everybody was as kind and forgiving as Temari. Some people would hate Sasuke for how he felt, and like him, they would hate me. However, it wasn't me I was worried about-- it was Sasuke.

And love is all that I need
And I found it here in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in Heaven.


I couldn't let him go through that. Not because of me. The guilt would never end. He would be shamed because of me, and I didn't want that.

I thought of my sister then, and when she was on the beach the other night with Sensei. How she'd tried to put distance between them.

It was for his sake. She didn't want him to be unhappy because of her. She was trying to save both of them. In the end, though, she'd given in. And now, they would have to face a world where their love was forbidden, it frowned upon and scorned.

I've been waiting for so long
For something to arrive
For love to come along.


But...I loved him too. And nothing-- especially nobody-- could stand in the way of that.

Now our dreams are coming true
Through the good times and the bad
Yeah, I'll be standing there by you.


I was ready to give him my answer. I leaned in and whispered it in his ear.

"No."

And baby, you're all that I want
When you're lying here in my arms
I'm finding it hard to believe
We're in Heaven.


I started to walk away, knowing that I had done what was best for the both of us. He reached out and grabbed my hand.

"Naruto."

"Please let go," I said quietly, slipping away from him and walking away. I didn't want to see the look on his face, though I already knew the expression he was making. I could hear the pain in his voice when he'd said my name.

And love is all that I need
And I found it here in your arms
Isn't too hard to see
We're in Heaven.


I left him there, though I didn't want to, and I went back to the hotel room and fell asleep. I was sure that Sasuke wouldn't be there in the morning.
Kenshin by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Remember what I said last chapter? Everything I do, I do for a reason. You'll see. If you don't like the direction this is going, then too bad. It sucks for you. But in the end, this princess will solve everything.
Also, who remembers what Kenshin's name means? If you don't, it means "modest truth." Just so you know.
Kisses,
Sarah-hime
SAKURA

"Naruto," I said, running up to him the next morning, "don't forget we're going out to eat tonight at the Lagoon! You've got to wear something nice. Meet me at six there-- I have a reservation."

Naruto turned and smiled at me as we stood in the hotel lobby. "Yeah? Okay, I'll have to write it down on my hand or something. Do you have a pen?"

"Yeah," I said, fishing through my purse. I was going to go out with the girls and get something to bring back for Mom and Dad.

I finally handed him one. "Here."

"Thanks," he said, and that's when I noticed it.

My brow furrowed. "...Naruto? What's wrong?" I asked, suddenly a little afraid. "You're really upset right now."

"It's nothing big, don't worry," he told me. "Just something on my mind."

"You're a rotten liar," I said, frowning sadly. "You know I can see right through you."

He looked up at me then, and his face was cold. Instinctively, I took a step away from him.

But he gave me a smile like he always did and said, "No, you must be imagining it."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Something's wrong with my brother," I said as I paid for a shell necklace.

Temari was silent.

I turned my head toward her. "Do you know something about it, Temari?" I asked quietly. "This is the worst he'd been in a long time."

"I don't know what it is," she replied, just as quiet, "but I can't help but wonder if I had some hand in it."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

I sat at a two person table in the outdoor restaurant the Lagoon, waiting for Naruto. It was six exactly, according to my silver watch, but it wasn't unusual for Naruto to be a little late.

It was beautiful out tonight. The sun was not too hot, but warm enough to heat my skin to the right temperature, and I could hear the ocean's waves lapping against the shore, and some people still on the beach.

I was wearing the dress I'd worn to the dance. Going out to eat was a great excuse to wear it again, I thought happily.

I was sitting near one of the trees that surrounded the patio-like restaurant, and I touched one of the branches. It was strung up with lights, and they glowed like tiny fireflies.

It reminded me of last night with Arisaka-sensei.

I sighed happily, trying to suppress the giddiness I felt. Really, just the thought of last night could've gotten me high.

I glanced at my watch and was sent crashing down a little, though. Naruto was now fifteen minutes late.

If there was one thing I appreciated, it was punctuality. Naruto would never let me down.

A voice in my head told me to lay off a little. He was obviously not himself at the moment, and we should give him more time.

But another fifteen minutes passed, and then twenty, and then thirty, and still he was not there.

I didn't like being all alone, really-- I could tell that it was strange. A waitress came up to my table and said, "Would you like to order, or would you still like to wait for the other party to arrive?"

"I'l wait," I said, biting my lower lip and resisting the urge to chew on my pinky nail.

And soon, I was waiting again. I was starting to get hungry, and I was also a little sad.

Maybe he'll still come, I tried to reassure myself.

But when an hour passed, I knew I'd been stood up, and I felt like I was going to cry, and I put my face in my hand so I could keep at least a little dignity if I did end up crying.

But then someone said, "Princess?"

My head jerked up and I saw Sensei there, cocking his head at me.

I felt a smile spread across my face. "How do you always know?" I asked him.

"It's a wonderful coincidence," he told me, smiling with that smile I hated.

However, in that moment, there was no smile I wanted to see more.

"So what are you doing here, Sensei?" I asked.

"Well, I felt like going out to eat to escape the students-- there were several girls asking me if I was there at the masquerade last night, to which I replied that I was not. I decided to go here, because students don't seem to enjoy this restaurant much and never come here. Imagine my surprise to see my favorite student here," he said, laughing. "And you? Aren't you with anyone?"

"Well, I was supposed to be," I said, feeling sad all over again, "but Naruto stood me up."

Sensei had the grace to give me a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry," he said, "but I can't help but feel a little relieved."

I blinked in surprise. "Huh?"

"It means I get to eat with you now," he said, grinning and sitting down across from me.

I laughed and smiled, telling him, "That's a plus."

The waitress returned and smiled. "Are you ready to order now?"

"Yes," I said. "My date's arrived."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sensei and I walked along the beach, holding hands and looking out across the water. The sun was making a reflection across it, dying the water pink and orange.

"In a way, Sensei," I told him, "I'm glad Naruto never showed up. I wonder what held him back..."

"I don't know, but I'll have to thank him for standing you up some other time," Sensei said, squeezing my hand. "I'm sorry that it made you unhappy, though."

"It's okay, it's okay," I said, squeezing back and smiling. "It means I got to spend time with you."

But that brought another thought to mind.

"Sensei... I have to say something, though," I said, slipping my hand form his, turning to face him. "You know that I love you, right?"

He nodded, frowning in confusion.

"But, Sensei... I don't want to hold you back in any way. If you want to...well...forget about me because of your job, that's okay," I said.

Sensei gave me a wide-eyed look. "Sakura, I thought you knew me by now," he said, seeming almost hurt. "You know that I'm not going to let that stand in my way. I talked to Tsunade-sensei this morning, and I told her that at the end of this year, I'm quitting."

"What?!" I cried, stunned. "Why?"

"So I can be with you," he said earnestly, taking both my hands in his. "Because I love you. And I care about you more than anything."

"But...I'm standing in the way of doing what you love, teaching! I feel horrible about it, and now that you're quitting--"

Sensei let out an almost exasperated sigh and got down on one knee.

"I feel kind of bad that I had to do this this way, but I guess you need to see how sincere I am. It's a nice location to do this, but I would've much rather have done this in a different situation. This will have to do," he said. "Sakura, when you're old enough, I want to marry you."

I was too stunned for real words. All I said was, "Sensei?"

"You're only in high school, and I'm sensitive to that," he continued. "But realize this-- while you are only sixteen and still my student, I will not do anything. But soon, I'll court you aggressively. I'm sorry to say that I will be very selfish about you. And I'd like to think that I'm a decent sort of guy, willing to wait for you, but the question is, will you wait for me?"

I nodded, still mind blown. "Yeah."

"I hope you're aware of what you just agreed to," he said. Was he teasing me?

I saw that little smile and I knew he was. I started laughing and I threw my arms around his neck.

"Court me aggressively? What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, giggling.

"It means I don't intend to let anyone else have you," he said honestly, pulling away from me. He held one of my wrists in his hand, and he kissed it. "These hands, this hair, this face, this waist...they're all mine, and I'll take good care of everything," he promised, putting his forehead against mine. He kissed my lower lip, and I almost died of happiness.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we got back to the hotel later that night, we entered at different times so it wouldn't look like we were together. I went in first.

The lobby was in an uproar. People were running around, and I saw Tsunade-sensei talking to a man in a paramedic uniform.

Temari ran up to me, frantic. "There you are!" she cried, yanking me toward Tsunade-sensei. "Here she is!"

"Sakura," said Tsunade-sensei seriously when I was with her, "we have...some bad news for you."

"...What is it?" I said, apprehensive.

"Your brother was in a car accident earlier this evening, around six forty-five. Evidently, he was crossing the street to go to a restaurant called the Lagoon, and he was hit by a drunk driver."

My vision faded and my knees buckled, but I was caught by a strong pair of arms.

"Steady now," Arisaka-sensei's voice came from behind me. I hadn't even realized he'd come in.

He straightened me and put his hands firmly on my shoulders to keep me from fainting. I looked at Tsunade-sensei and said, "...Is he okay?"

"He's in critical condition," she said. "He'll be all right, but right now, he's pretty badly injured. He hit his head really hard, and he lost a lot of blood."

I turned and started running, ignoring the voices that called after me. I ran until I reached the hospital, and there I asked the receptionist about Naruto Uzumaki.

"I'm afraid you can't see him right now," she told me, observing me-- a frantic, wide-eyed girl with shaking legs, covered in sweat from running the whole way here. :At the moment, he's receiving a blood transfusion and doctors are trying to stabilize his condition."

I thought I was going to faint again and wished for the arms of Arisaka-sensei.

At that moment, he appeared at the end of the hall, skidding to a stop. He was panting, and I realized that he'd run the whole way after me.

"Sakura," he said, his eyes sad.

It was then that I burst into tears, and I ran at him, throwing myself into his waiting arms.

"Kenshin!" I sobbed. "KENSHIN!"

Kenshin held me tightly, stroking my hair while I repeated his name over and over into his shirt, sobbing. Right now, I needed him. I needed him and his modest truth. I needed Kenshin.
I'm Sorry by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
This story is almost over, everyone! Only a few more chapters, and then an epilogue. I hope everyone's enjoying it...I hope the ending is satisfying...I hope you'll continue to support me...and I hope you'll stick with me for my next fic!
Kisses,
Sarah-hime
NARUTO

Ow.

I was hurting all over, and my whole body was creaking and sore. Even though everything was dark, it didn't stop the pain.

Someone was poking me with something sharp, and in a haze, I hoped it wasn't a needle. I hated needles. They made me feel ill.

Wait, where was my sister? I was supposed to meet her at a restaurant. I wondered if she was okay.

I mean, I know I was going there. I was going to arrive there a little before six, because my sister's got a thing for punctuality. I remember...I was walking across the street. Then headlights...then there was someone yelling my name.

Someone was crying and saying, "Naruto."

Who was that crying? Was it my sister? No, wait. I knew that voice. It was Sasuke.

Crap-- I had to tell Sasuke something. I had to apologize to him. I had to tell him that what I did, I did because I loved him.

But maybe he was mad at me. Maybe he didn't want to hear what I had to say.

That didn't matter. I still had to tell him that I was sorry.

I'd let him down. I'd let him down so much. I wish I'd been honest with him. I wish that I'd said "Yes." I wish I hadn't said something as stupid as "No."

Why had I said "No" anyway? It was probably the most idiotic thing I'd ever done in my life. I needed him. I thought maybe I was saving him from the hurtful words of other people, but in truth, I was depriving myself. I was depriving myself of something I needed, but wish I didn't need. I didn't feel deserving of someone so wonderful.

Sasuke, I realized, I never should have let you go.


I opened my eyes to blinding white.

I raised a hand to my face, feeling something tug on my arm. It stung a little. Once I adjusted, I sat up.

A hospital room.

That's when I remembered that I had been hit by a car on my way to meet my sister. My mind wasn't very clear that that moment, but it was clear enough to realize that I had to get out of there.

I glanced at my arm and saw an IV in there, and almost got sick.

"Dammit, I hate needles," I muttered, and, looking away, I ripped it out. It didn't hurt too much, but it was still making me queasy.

I swung my legs out of the bed, looking around again. My clothes were sitting on a chair. I quickly put them on and tried to stop my legs from shaking. And without a word to anyone, I checked myself out of the hospital to apologize.
Only Sasuke by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
This is...the second to last chapter, I think. They're gonna be short and sweet, but the epilogue will be a little longer.
Enjoy!
Kisses,
Sarah-hime
SASUKE

When I got to the hospital where the idiot Naruto was staying, his sister was in a panic.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN, 'HE'S GONE'?! WHERE DID HE GO?!" she roared, panicking. "WHERE IS HE?!"

"Whoa, what?" I said, going over to her and putting an arm around her shoulders. "Calm down, Sakura. Slow down and tell me what's happened."

"Naruto's GONE!" she told me, wide-eyed, and I raised my eyebrows.

"Gone," I repeated.

"GONE!" she shrieked.

"So...where did he go?"

"I DON'T KNOW!"

"...Okay then. Any ideas?"

"NO! IF I HAD ANY, I'D BE GOING TO BEAT HIM UP AND DRAG HIM BACK HERE!"

"Naruto's hurt enough as it is; we don't need you slaughtering him any more than you have to. But believe me, when he does show up, I totally give you permission to abuse him verbally."

"THAT'S NOT HELPING ME RIGHT NOW," she said, much calmer but still loud.

"Hey, calm down. You don't need to talk in capital letters," I said, reassuring her and rubbing her hair. "Hey, so what are you gonna do about the dobe?"

"I don't know," she said, biting her thumb nail nervously. Finally, she turned and looked at me.

"Sasuke, I need you to find him," she said seriously, and I almost laughed.

"Me? Why me?" I asked her.

"You're the only one who can find Naruto-- I know you are," she told me.

I smiled at her. "I'd be honored," I told her honestly. "I'll bring your brother back for you, okay? And I'll spare you the yelling and lecture him myself, okay?"

Sakura hugged me. "I think Naruto was destined to find you," she said.

I was a little startled, but gently hugged her, my hands on her shoulder blades. "Yeah, I bet he was."
Soulmates by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Who has been waiting for the big SasuNaru chapter? Well, here you have it! I really hope you enjoy it...I tried to do this well...I hope it lives up to peoples expectations...!!!!!!!!
Afer this, there's the epilogue, and then it's over. And I'll be starting on my next fic! Please make sure to look for it, okay?
NARUTO

Sasuke.

He's a really awesome guy, I realized. I realized probably too late. He's nice, and gentle, and I know that he loves me as much as I love him.

I wish I hadn't been such an idiot.

I wish I hadn't been so mean to him.

I wish I could take it all back.

Now, I just have to say I'm sorry.

At that moment, Sasuke appeared in the darkness, sitting down next to me as I lay on the black nothingness.

"Hey, dobe," he said, smiling in that way that was purely him.

"...Sasuke, I'm sorry," I told his apparition after a moment's hesitation. "I wanted to save you, I think. I wanted to save you from the horrible things people might say. But the truth is, I love you. I love you more than anything. I'll do anything to take you back."

Sasuke didn't say anything. He just smiled and laughed a little. "Really?" he said. "That's nice to know, dobe. Feel free to 'take me back' whenever you want."

I felt so happy I could cry. "Then you've forgiven me?"

"There was never anything to forgive," he told me gently, giving me the kindest smile I'd ever seen. It made my heart hurt. I loved it so much.

I really did start crying then, closing my eyes tightly. "I'm so happy. This is like something out of a dream."


"Yeah, but it isn't a dream, obviously," Sasuke said, dispelling the darkness with those words.

I blinked. "...Oh." Everything started coming in to focus.*

Sasuke started cracking up. "You really thought you were dreaming? Dobe, you're really kinda dumb." And with that, he lifted me off the ground and swung me onto his back.

Me, hefted like a bag of flour.

"Hey, what the--!" I cried, staring to squirm and kick.

"Hey, you can't do that, I'm gonna fall over!" Sasuke cried, trying to hold me still. "Quit squirming around!"

"Put me down, put me down! I can walk!"

"Yeah, and that's why I find you collapsed in the middle of the park, right?" he said sarcastically. "Totally."

I fell silent. I was just so surprised.

"I'm surprised you made it that far," he told me, "in your condition and all."

He was just...talking to me. Like I hadn't wronged him or told him no.

Like everything was the same as ever.

"Wait," I said, "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"What is there to not understand, dobe?" he asked me, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. "Anyway, I've gotta take you back. Your sister nearly had a heart attack when she found out you were gone. I mean, really, Naruto. You can scare her like that-- you know she cares about you more than anything else in the world. Except maybe Sensei-- he's got a place in her heart that's reserved for no one else."

"...Like my spot in your heart?" I asked quietly, almost afraid to say it.

Sasuke nodded and smiled. "Yup."

I tightened my hold on him, my arms around his shoulders. They were broad. I put my face in his neck, inhaling that scent I loved.

"Sasuke," I said. "I do love you. But I wanted to protect you. I didn't want anyone to hurt you or say mean things about you."

"Why would they do that?"

"...Because I'm a boy," I said, surprised.

Sasuke sighed in exasperation. "Naruto, I don't think you get it. I didn't fall in love with Naruto, the boy. I fell in love with Naruto, the soul. I love the soul, and therefore, I love the person. It isn't that hard to understand, Naruto. I think that it would never have mattered who you were-- you could've been another person, of another race, or of another gender, or someone I never thought I'd get along with, and I would have still loved you like I do now...because I love your soul, I love you, no matter who you are." He turned his head and looked at me, smiling that Sasuke smile. "I guess that's why they call it 'soulmates', right, dobe?"

I cried. I was so happy. He swung me around so he was holding me and I stared into his eyes, my vision blurring everywhere else except his face.

"Sasuke," I said, "you found me!"

He was quiet for a second, then he hugged me tightly, sighing and smiling like he always did. "Yeah. Welcome home, dobe."
Epilogue by inuyashas_only_1
Author's Notes:
Well, this is it, everyone. I hope you guys enjoyed "You Found Me", and I hope that if you enjoyed this, then you'll read my other fanfictions. I want to thank the awesome people who reviewd: Miki Everless, iheartnotebooks123, and ChicagoIsCalling7. You guys were great! This story is dedicated to you three. Thank you.
Until next time, everyone.
"Gah, where is he?" demanded the young woman dressed in the wedding gown. Several bridesmaids were standing with her, all wearing gowns of the same color, a light green shade in silk, but in different styles.

The bride turned to one of them, the maid of honor. "Temari, what do I do?!" she wailed. "Do you think he'll miss it?! It's, like, ten minutes until the wedding staaaaaaarts!"

"Calm down, or your face will turn red. It's hot enough as it is. You had to pick a June wedding?" complained Temari, even though she smiled. She wore a beautiful dress. It was short and tight, twisting around her body like a sari, going down to her ankles. It was covered in gold beads that matched with her dangling earrings and bracelets, both of which caught the light and sparkled beautifully. Her hair had been cut in a short bob around her face.

"But he's a groomsman! He's gonna get worried..." the bride said, reaching up to bite her pinky nail, but another bridesmaid, a beautiful blond, smacked her hand away.

"No!" the blond, Ino, said. "Don't you dare! I spent an hour yesterday trying to do your nails perfectly!"

"Sorry, sorry," the bride said, hastily taking her hand away from her mouth. Instead, she twisted a lock of curly hair around her finger, turning to look at herself in the full-length mirror.

Ino stared at her for a second, then smiled, walking over. Her long blond hair was twisted into a fancy bun on the back of her head and wrapped in a net of pearls. She wore a simple dress that reached to her knees and had a full skirt. She wore a strand of pearls around her neck.

"You look beautiful," she told the bride. "I don't know what else to say."

The bride smiled, her lips shining with the gloss she'd applied a little earlier. "Thanks," she said quietly, blushing and tucking her hair behind her ear. Her long locks were piled gracefully on top of her head, a few sleek tendrils curling around by her face.

"Yes, you look wonderful," said another bridesmaid, Hinata. She wore a long strapless dress that reached her ankles, with an empire waist and lace around the hem. Her long black hair was in a braid that she had twisted around her head, like a crown. She had woven flowers into her hair, like she had done for the bride. All the bridesmaids, in fact, had contributed to the bride's ensemble that say-- Hinata had done her hair, Ino had done her nails, Temari had helped her put on her dress, and Tenten had put on her makeup.

Tenten entered the room, carrying a platter of fruit. "Hey, you guys want some of this pineapple? It's so good...wait, where's Naruto? Shouldn't he be here by now? I mean, he's one of the groomsmen, right? I would've thought for sure he'd be in here, wishing you luck!"

"Tenten, you're gonna get food on your dress!" Ino chastised, swooping over and snatching the plate from her hands. "And if you get close to Sakura with those strawberries, I'll rip you limb from limb! She's wearing a WHITE DRESS!"

"You don't think I see that?" Tenten said dryly. "She's getting married. Do you think she'd wear a black dress? Or this dress?" She gestured at her own dress, a short, tight one with no fancy decoration. Her hair hung down, no longer in her trademark bun, but simply hanging down on her shoulders.

Sakura smiled and said, "Actually, eating something might calm my nerves." She turned and went to the plate of food, which Ino had set on a table, and picked up a piece of pineapple.

Behind her, someone jumped in through the window silently, winking. All the bridesmaids grinned and glanced at one another.

"But if Naruto misses my wedding, I'll kill him," Sakura vowed. "I don't care if he was dying of appendicitis--"

"He'll make it, don't worry," said someone, wrapping his arms around Sakura's waist from behind and twirling her around.

"Sasuke!" Sakura cried happily when he set her down, whirling around and hugging him tightly. "Yay! I'm so happy you could come!"

"Yeah, I had a hell of a time trying to wake your brother up," Sasuke told her, slipping off his jacket. "God, it's hot. You had to pick June? Why not December?"

"December? No, then it's too cold!"

"But then it's not this blistering heat," Sasuke told her pointedly. "You girls can wear your strapless sundresses and whatnot, and us guys have to wear suits." He took her hand and spun her around, then caught her other hand and danced around the room with her, laughing.

"Stop it! Knock it off!" Sakura cried, laughing. "You're gonna mess up my hair or something. Hinata spent so long on it, too!"

"You'll still look good," Sasuke assured her, dipping her and then picking her up. He went over to the bridesmaids, who were all giggling, and set the bride down.

"I saw Kenshin. He looks beyond psyched," Sasuke informed them as Sakura smoothed out her dress. "How long has that poor guy been waiting to marry you? Four years?"

Sakura nodded. "I told him twenty was young, but to be honest, I wanted to get married as soon as I could too. I spent four years living in fear that he'd fall in love with some woman who was his age, not six years younger than him."

"Are you kidding? That guy has the restraint of a master," said Temari, "and the patience of a saint. I swear, one time last year when we were at a party, some guy came up to you and stated talking to you. Kenshin came up behind you and gave this guy a glare that could've killed him! It took me my all to keep from laughing..."

"Are all men that possessive?" asked Ino. She turned to Sasuke. "Tell me."

Sasuke thought for a moment, putting a finger on his chin. Finally, he answered, "Yeah. It's instinct. Once we find something that's precious enough to us, we'll go to any lengths to keep it safe. It's the same with everyone, isn't it?"

Tenten nodded. "Sure. My signed baseball collection is precious to me, and once I hit my brother over the head with an iron rod when he tried to touch it--"

"No, that isn't what I meant," said Sasuke, waving away her ridiculous comment. "It's more like..."

At that moment, a young woman ran in. "Girls, you're on in thirty seconds!"

Sakura started turning pale, and Sasuke quickly grabbed her shoulders. "Hey," he whispered, "it's gonna be okay."

She hugged him and nodded. "Yeah. I'm really glad my brother has you around."

"I am too," he told her honestly, "and that brother that's precious to both of us is waiting with your fiancee down at the end of that altar."

He squeezed her shoulders softly, then left, throwing her a smile over his shoulder. She smiled, comforted.

Finally, they left the small room in the back of the courtyard and Sakura waited near the doors and her father came over to her. "Hey," he whispered, running a hand through his blond hair. "...I'm kind of sad to have to let you go, Sakura."

"I'm sad to leave, Dad," she whispered back. "...But there's someone who's waiting for me."

Her father nodded and, to the sounds of Canon in D, Sakura Uzumaki walked down the aisle that was covered in light pink rose petals.

Kenshin Arisaka was waiting for her at the end of the aisle, near a fountain, where they were getting married. When he saw her, his face flushed happily, and he smiled the smile that she'd come to adore.

She bit her lip and smiled a little, trying to hold in her laughter.

Her eyes wandered over the various people there-- her bridesmaids and Kenshin's groomsmen. Kenshin's best man was his brother, Yuki, who had walked down with Temari. Naruto and Tenten has walked down together, and Sakura was relieved to see that her brother had in fact made it on time.

She finally reached the end of the aisle and Kenshin took her hand in his, squeezing it tightly. Her hand still fit perfectly in his, like it had when they had danced only a few years before.

Everyone watched in anticipation as the two said the vows, laughing occasionally, Kenshin wiping away a tear from Sakura's face at one point. Her brother stood watching, inhaling deeply once to hold back his tears.

Finally, they were wed. "You may kiss the bride," the minister said, and Kenshin took his new wife, Sakura Arisaka, in his arms and kissed her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Naruto said later that it was a cheesy choice for a first dance, but Sakura and Kenshin argued that it was the only one they'd agreed on-- and the only song they liked that wasn't heavy metal or hard rock. It was "Hero."

Sakura and Kenshin laughed about it later when Kenshin made his speech, starting out with, "How's everyone doing? Pretty sweaty, huh? Sweating in some pretty funny places, aren't you? I told her not to pick a June wedding, but she forced me to..."

He told everyone how they had met: that he was her teacher, six years older than her, and had incurred her wrath on the first day he'd met her by humiliating her. Slowly, though, they became close and he had fallen well and truly in love with her, this girl he hardly knew. This girl that was his student.

"I didn't feel bad about disappointing the girls in my classes who had already decided that I would be their husband someday," he joked. "I only had one person in mind."

He told them how he had quit his job after he'd proposed to her and taught in a different school the following year, where he bragged to all his students about his beautiful fiancee.

"I could tell they were sick of hearing about her," he laughed. "But I never stopped."

He told them about how he had asked her to dance that one night, and that was when he decided that he wanted to be with her for the rest of his life.

Finally, he turned and looked at his wife beside him and said, "I liked our song for a reason-- the lyrics reminded me of you." He walked around the table and took her along. "...Would you dance, if I asked you to dance?" he asked her, quoting it.

She smiled and nodded, and they invited everyone out on the dance floor.

The whole wedding hall shook with their pounding and stomping and dancing and laughter. Kenshin and Sakura were the true stars of the show that night, and everyone was there to watch them as they fell in love all over again.

Well, almost everyone.

Two young people had escaped while no one was watching. A blond and a raven. A dobe and a teme. Soulmates. And together, they watched the moon and lost themselves in their happiness they shared.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=9393