The Hunt by suzieuchiha
Summary: At Gin no Daiyamondo they gather... the Hunters that is... When Naruto follows his mysterious rescuer to the nightclub he gets more than he bargained for! Naruto's life is turned upsidedown as he plunges into the world of demons and Hunters in the underworld of Konoha City. He nows walks a dangerous path with new friends at his side. Main pairing: NaruSasu with other side pairings.
Categories: Alternate Universe & Crossovers > Real World, Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance > Top Pairings > Sasuke and Naruto Characters: All
Genres: Angst, Fantasy, Romance, Supernatural, WAFF
Warnings: AU, Yaoi, Yuri
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 23348 Read: 12692 Published: 07/08/08 Updated: 21/02/09
Story Notes:
[BLANKET DISCLAIMER: I do not own Naruto or any of the associated characters, they are the property of Masashi Kishimoto] AU fantasy fic set in Konoha City. Please note that although the characters supernatural powers are only based on their favourite jutsu to match their characters and they don't actually have ninja powers.

1. Prologue by suzieuchiha

2. A Bad Start by suzieuchiha

3. Bad News by suzieuchiha

4. A Rude Awakening by suzieuchiha

5. A Warm Welcome by suzieuchiha

6. Control by suzieuchiha

7. Help by suzieuchiha

8. Family Issues by suzieuchiha

9. In Preparation by suzieuchiha

Prologue by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
[BLANKET DISCLAIMER: I do not own Naruto or any of the associated characters, they are the property of Masashi Kishimoto] Prologue of yet another new story ^^;
In Konoha City it was said the wind whistled blindly through dark alleys like a thousand lost souls crying out for redemption. But Naruto didn't believe that.

Still there was something eerie about the gusts that battered his temporary home. Naruto shivered as he drew a thin blanket closer to himself trying to bury deeper within it's limited folds. His luck had recently run out leaving him at rock bottom. And rock bottom in Konoha meant no job, no home and no food. Naruto's stomach growled at him to remind him of the fact that he needed to find food soon. But it was never as easy as stealing food from the rubbish. He could do it of course... he just didn't want to.

His 'temporary home' was currently situated in the middle of a series of alleys running through the red light district. Pounding music assailed his ears from a nearby club as one particular occupant was thrown onto the street. Naruto watched as the man emptied the contents of his stomach before stumbling away. Glad the man hadn't decided to come in his direction Naruto nestled back into his box only to sit bolt upright a second later.

Someone was approaching from the opposite end of the alley. As they walked with measured footsteps towards him Naruto could hear the ominous click of stiletto heels. A chill ran down his spine preventing him from burying deeper as his brain told him to. He had always had good night sight and found he could make out every feature of this woman. She wore a sadistic smile as she watched him with eyes that seemed to glow. Every one of his instincts told him to leg it right this second... but he couldn't move.

But then he did move. He began to get to his feet with slow movements that he couldn't explain. Naruto tried to run, he was on his feet now surely he could run... He heard a tinkling laughter, like glass breaking on cold marble, erupting from the woman as she watched his frightened expressions.

"Come now, young one," she whispered, beckoning to him with long silver taloned fingers.

Naruto opened his mouth to tell her to get lost but the words dried in his throat as his legs began to propel him towards her clutches. He struggled against an invisible force for control of his own limbs as his heartbeat pounded in his own ears and he was forced to watch the hungry expression on her misleadingly beautiful face. A hand, cold as ice, trailed down his cheek as he was pulled into her deathly embrace. Naruto clenched his eyes shut as she smiled revealing elongated canines.

'I'm going to die!' he thought frantically. 'I thought I'd already hit rock bottom, that my life couldn't possibly get any worse!'

Naruto waited in her arms for what felt like the longest few seconds of his life. Any moment now he would surely feel those unnaturally sharp teeth pierce his flesh...
A Bad Start by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
Here we go, first full chapter is done! Thanks to the people who reviewed, much appreciated especially when starting a new fic. ^^
Naruto waited in her arms for what felt like the longest few seconds of his life. Any moment now he would surely feel those unnaturally sharp teeth pierce his flesh...

But instead he felt a falling sensation. Perhaps this was part of death...?

"Oof!" Air rushed from his lungs as he hit the ground, eyes snapping open.

Through tear blurred vision Naruto saw a tall figure at the end of the alley, silhouetted by the flashing lights of the city. The newcomers long coat snapped to the side in another gust of wind. Faster than Naruto could track the figure was down the alleyway and Naruto was looking at his heavy leather boots from his position on the ground. Scrambling out of the way Naruto saw the man held an umbrella pointed at his attackers chest. In a quick stab he embedded it's sharpened end between her collarbones. She gave a pained screech and backed away her skin peeling where she had been stabbed. She wasted no time on her injury, instead running at the man again, this time with nails and teeth bared. She launched herself at him hands reaching to scratch at him with steely nails.

Naruto gave a shout of warning that left him after the man had already dodged. His rescuer now held a long thin sword in place of his umbrella and Naruto watched, stunned, as electrical currents ran down the metal length, sparking and chirruping. Quicker than Naruto thought possible he swung the sword at the vampire, lightening leaving it's metal confines to fly at her in a deadly arc. But she was as fast a he was and pushed off from the ground to jump nearly ten feet in the air, effectively dodging the lightening which hit Naruto's home with a cracking explosion. Naruto drew in a sharp breath as she landed behind the man and wrapped strong fingers around his neck with a cry of triumph.

Naruto instinctively leapt to his feet, planning to do this man the same courtesy as he had done Naruto. But before he had taken two steps towards the pair the vampire gave another pained screech as she was thrown backwards. Naruto watched in shock as electrical currents skittered across the mans pale skin before dissipating.

The stranger ignored him as he looked around the alley for something. Naruto looked towards where the vampire had landed to see a charred corpse. She was dead. And he was glad.

The man was now picking up his umbrella. Naruto watched as he sheathed the sword inside the umbrella and turned back towards the corpse. He walked easily over to the body emitting the unpleasant stench of burnt flesh.

"What are you going to do about that mess?" Naruto asked, forcing his vocal cords into action.

For the first time his rescuer looked him in the eye and Naruto felt his voice leave him again. The man was not much older than him, he looked about 19 but radiated a confidence that made him seem older. The darkest eyes he had ever seen fixed him with a calculating stare as he raised one shaped eyebrow in a mocking gesture.

Turning away again he spun his umbrella through practised fingers before hitting the dead woman between singed eyebrows with what Naruto knew to be the hilt of that concealed sword. Naruto was about to ask why he'd done that when he realised the body was decomposing before his very eyes. Within seconds all that was left was dust and that was quickly scattered by the wind.

Without a word that man began to walk away. Naruto looked behind him at his burning home. The box with his few belongings in it was slowly burning to a cinder.

"Oi wait up!" he called running after his rescuer.

The man didn't stop so Naruto ran around him to stop his retreat from the alley. He was fixed with another questioning glare which struck a nerve. Grateful as he may be to this man for saving his life, he had just been left even more homeless than he had been before.

"I hope you're going to pay for that!" Naruto demanded glaring back and pointing at his burning home.

"Hn, was it actually worth something?" the mans deep voice rolled easily over Naruto's ears.

"Yes!" spluttered Naruto, pissed off now that his rescuer was turning out to be such a bastard.

"Whatever."

Stepping around him the stranger walked away setting a quick pace. Naruto stood for a second, stunned, staring back and forth from his rescuers back to his burning home. His belongings, everything he had salvaged of his life before now, was literally going up in smoke. With one last look at the box he turned away and followed the bastard from the alley onto the streets of the red light district.

"Don't follow me," the man said coldly.

"Try and stop me!" yelled Naruto defiantly.

"Don't tempt me," growled his rescuer speeding up until he was almost running.

But Naruto wasn't the kind of guy to give up without a fight. Jogging to keep up he pursued the man past countless dodgy bars and clubs.

"What did you do to that woman - I mean vampire - anyway?" he asked. "I never even believed in vampires before tonight. She was a vampire, right? I mean she acted like a vampire."

"Yes she was a vampire," the man gritted out, looking anywhere but at Naruto. "Now leave me alone!"

"But what did you do to her? You hit my box with lightening, I understand it was an accident, but I'd still like an apology! And then she grabbed you and then she went flying."

They had turned down another alley and were still walking at top speed.

"Hey teme, I'm trying to talk to you here!" shouted Naruto getting fed up with being ignored.

This guys attitude was really grating on his nerves. Reaching out Naruto grabbed his shoulder to turn the man around. The man whipped around and Naruto was fixed with a dangerous glare.

"You want to know what I did to her?" the man spat furiously. "Watch closely!"

Next second Naruto was swearing loudly and clutching his hand to his chest. Where his hand had been resting on the mans shoulder he had been electrocuted! Naruto's hand throbbed and tingled painfully. It had been more of a surprise than anything though and now Naruto did indeed know what had happened to the vampire. She had been electrocuted just like he had but on a much more deadly scale!

Naruto watched as the man continued down the alley his long coat flaring behind him. Naruto thought this man fitted the appearance of a vampire hunter and he was curious to find out more. 'You know what they say; curiosity killed the cat...' thought Naruto nursing his hand. He had a strong feeling that if he tried to follow the 'vampire hunter' he was just going to end up getting hurt again but on the other hand he had nothing to go back to.

Slipping into the shadows Naruto followed the 'vampire hunting bastard' as quietly as he could although the sounds of a nearby club sufficiently masked any sounds he did make. They turned several corners until the man came to the entrance to the street. Naruto ducked down behind a dustbin when the man looked back obviously checking to make sure he wasn't being followed anymore. When he heard the man move on Naruto crept from the shadows and moved quickly to the mouth of the alley in time to see his rescuer enter a busy club. The lit up sign over the entrance read 'Gin no Daiyamondo'. The nightclubs facade wasn't too shabby and there was a steady stream of extremely dressed customers passing the doorman.

Naruto hurried over and entered the club close behind a large group of gothic styled people adorned with piercing's, chains and fake dreadlocks. His own clothes were thankfully dark though plain and worn. Naruto moved quickly through the crowd trying to blend in as much as possible as he searched for the 'vampire hunter'. The nightclub was packed with odd looking people with inventive hairstyles, heavy makeup, neon jewellery and every other fashion item you can think of that would make them seem out of place during the daytime. Naruto let out an exasperated sigh as he reached the bar; he would never find his rescuer in this place and Naruto thought that had perhaps been the mans plan.

"Looking for someone?" asked a smooth voice in his ear.

Naruto turned around and for a split second he thought his rescuer had found him when he laid eyes on pale skin, black hair and black eyes. But it wasn't him. This man was slightly older, slightly paler and showed a lot more skin with a cropped top and leather pants riding low on his slim hips.

"Er..." Naruto was at a loss for what to say to this strange man. Then he decided on the truth. "Yeah, actually I am. You haven't seen a guy in a black trench coat have you? He's got pale skin and black hair that sticks up all funny at the back... oh and he was carrying an umbrella."

The man raised an eyebrow at Naruto's description smirking a little, "Yeah I know him."

"Really?"

"Would you like me to take you to him?"

There was something a little off about the mans smile but Naruto was grateful for the helping hand so he nodded eagerly. The strange man led him across the room, his hips swaying confidently. At the other end of the bar was an unmarked door. As his guide pushed the door open Naruto suppressed a nervous feeling. They entered a small, barely furnished room just as a pair of girls entered through the opposite door. A large man with a vacant expression and ginger hair stepped aside to let them pass and Naruto caught glimpse of a steep spiraling staircase before the doorman closed the door with a decisive click.

"Sai! What are you doing?"

Naruto's attention was diverted to the girls who had just climbed up those stairs. The one who had spoken wore a tight fitting outfit of red leather and had bubblegum pink hair. She stood with her hands and her hips and was glaring at Sai as if waiting for an explanation. The blonde haired girl beside her wore purple leather and had her hair held up by metal chopsticks. She was glaring at Naruto.

"Who is he?" the blonde girl asked, also turning to Sai. "I hope you weren't thinking of bringing him in here."

"He has business with Sasuke," replied Sai.

Naruto looked towards his guide, "Sasuke..." he muttered after hearing his rescuers name for the first time.

The girls both seemed to be sizing him up and Naruto had to resist the urge to shy away from their appraising gazes.

"You know Sasuke won't want to see you," said the blonde girl.

Naruto bristled at her attitude, "I don't care!"

"It doesn't matter anyway," said the pink haired girl speaking to Sai again. "If he can't get past Juugo by himself he isn't going downstairs."

"Who's..." Naruto began, "Oh..." he trailed off as the imposing doorman shifted importantly.

Naruto eyed up Juugo nervously. 'Get past him? He looks a bit much for me to take on in a fight.'

He was just about to say he didn't need to see Sasuke all that urgently when Juugo produced a battered pack of tarot cards. Naruto watched with apprehension as the large man removed one and held it up with the blank side facing Naruto.

Seeing his confused expression Sai leaned closer. "You're supposed to tell him what's on his side of the card."

Naruto turned back to stare at the card. 'How the hell am I supposed to know when I can't see it?' But Juugo was looking expectantly at him. 'May as well take a guess...' Naruto thought quickly of the old tarot cards a friend had shown him a long time ago. He peered closely at the decorated back of the deck. 'Here goes nothing...'

"The Fool?"

Four pairs of eyebrows rose in unison.

"Lucky guess," muttered the blonde beside him.

Naruto looked at her in confusion, surely she couldn't have seen it any better than he could?

"I don't like it, he's not supposed to be in here..." said the pink haired girl uncertainly.

"It's the rule though, right Juugo?" said Sai smiling at the doorman.

"It is," answered Juugo shortly.

Then he stepped aside, opening a door and revealing a dark staircase. Naruto gave them all curious looks, this was all very strange. But he did want to see Sasuke and Naruto knew he could take particular pleasure in knowing that Sasuke hadn't expected Naruto to follow him this far. So he moved through the door and began down a steep spiral staircase of solid stone. He heard Sai and the two girls follow him, obviously whatever they were doing wasn't as entertaining as watching him surprise Sasuke. When Juugo closed the door they were plunged into complete darkness.

There was not a single light down the staircase, which would probably put most people off. But Naruto wasn't scared of the dark and anyway as he continued downwards he found he could see so perhaps there was a light source somewhere. The temperature dropped quickly as they descended. They continued further down until Naruto thought they must be about three stories underground.

Finally they turned into a narrow corridor. Naruto could make out a door at the end by the cracks of light surrounding it. As he paused Sai reached around him and gave the heavy door a hard shove. It opened to reveal a dimly lit lounge like bar. Strangely stringy music filled the room bouncing off of stone floors, it sounded offbeat to Naruto but not unpleasantly so. Around the room were many booths and sofas all covered in the same blood red velvet and the walls were hung with a dark grey shimmering material. Naruto had only a few seconds to take in the colourless fire burning in many braziers around the underground room before one of the girls gave an inpatient huff and Sai pushed him gently over the threshold.

As he followed Sai across the room, Naruto found himself attracting a lot of looks, few of them friendly. Every direction he looked in he saw more people dressed like Sai and Sasuke. To his left a girl with her hair in buns was throwing a knife at a dart board and then retrieving it, without touching the knife! To his right a pale eyed man sat cross-legged and deathly still as though in a trance, he looked blind but even as Naruto passed him those milky eyes followed his course across the room with an eerie intensity.

At the end of the room two corridors led away on either side of a highly polished bar. Sai walked confidently down the left-hand one for a while before turning left again and then right. He stopped outside one of the many identical doors and rapped briskly on it. A few seconds later a familiar face appeared at the door with a familiar glare firmly in place.

"Sai," gritted out Sasuke. "What is it?"

"You have a visitor."

With that Sai pushed Naruto into Sasuke's line of vision and stepped away. He gave a sadistic smile as Sasuke's expression darkened.

"I told you not to follow me."

"I don't take orders from you!" Naruto replied angrily.

"It would be in your best interest."

Sasuke's voice was icy and Naruto heard the girls shift nervously behind him. Sasuke turned his attention to them. Sai was still smiling as though nothing could make him happier than seeing Sasuke in such a position.

"Sakura, Ino, how did he get down here?" Sasuke asked the girls with a tone of superiority.

"Sai showed him the way," replied the blond named Ino.

"Well I can guess that. But what about Juugo?"

Naruto took his chance as they hesitated to reply proudly, "I got the right card."

Sasuke raised an eyebrow at him before turning back to the girls, "Out of curiosity, which card was it?"

"The Fool," answered Sakura promptly.

"How... fitting," drawled Sasuke.

"Teme!" Naruto shouted angrily. "I didn't come to this hellhole just so you could insult me! You owe me a fucking apology!"

"What did he do?" asked Sai immediately.

Before Naruto could answer he was being dragged by his jacket into Sasuke's room. He heard Sai laugh as Sasuke slammed the door. Then he found himself being pinned to the wall, Sasuke's hand now at his throat.

"You don't know what you've gone and done by following me back here."

"Oh? Why don't you explain it to me then?" Naruto managed to gasp out.

Sasuke gave him a long, piercing look as he slowly cut off Naruto's air supply. Then he stepped away. Naruto's knees hit the floor as he gasped for air. Just as he'd seen in the alleyway, this guy was strong!

Naruto pulled himself to his feet and glared at Sasuke.

When Sasuke remained silent Naruto felt his temper boiling, "I never got a 'sorry', teme!"

"I never got a 'thank you', dobe," countered Sasuke.

The two young men glared directly at each other with all the amnosity caused by the night's unfortunate events. Then they both looked away, their eyes still burning with anger. Sasuke walked over to an ancient four-poster bed and sat gracefully on the love-seat at it's foot.

"Are you going to explain it then?" asked Naruto to break the heavy silence.

"Explain what?"

Naruto felt his temper flare at the mans unhelpful attitude. "This! This whole place! Your little underground Goth coven! What you did earlier! Who are all these people? What do they do? How does it work?"

"That curiosity will likely get you killed one day. I have already answered one of your questions though, you have already had a second taste of 'what I did earlier'. Did you enjoy getting your question answered?"

"What? No! It bloody hurt!"

"That should give you some clue as to your other answers."

"Why are you speaking in riddles dammit?!"

"Because it's forbidden to give you your answers."
End Notes:
*bites lip* What do you think? I must admit I had fun with the image of the underground club room. ^^
Bad News by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
I'm really into this story right now, the inspiration keeps coming so I'm going to roll with it.
Neji walked gracefully through the winding corridors of the Hunters coven. His destination was that of their Hunt leader. He had important news to deliver and it ran through his head as he knocked on one of many unmarked doors.

"Enter."

Neji let himself into her chambers to find her at her usual position behind her desk. To her left stood the Hunt's best tactician, Shikamaru. To her right was her ever present assistant, Shizune.

"What is it Neji?" she asked peering over at him with intelligent golden eyes.

Neji gave a half bow before speaking, "Tsunade-sama, a young man has just arrived with Sai, Sakura and Ino."

"From another coven?"

"No ma'am. He appears to be a mortal."

Tsunade stood quickly, her hands moving immediately to grip her desk. "Then what in devil's name is he doing here?!"

"You'd have to ask Sai."

"Oh I will, bring them here!" she gave him a shooing gesture.

"There's one more thing Tsunade-sama..." Neji hesitated, how should he put this?

"Spit it out then."

"There's magick in his blood."

Her eyebrows rose in surprise before lowering into a frown. "Is he a demon or a hunter?"

"Neither. At first glance the magicks appear dormant but perhaps not for much longer. Its hard to tell without asking him but he may have been experiencing the early effects for a while now."

"It's very late for someone to discover their magicks." Shikamaru spoke anxiously.

"So he is weak?" Tsunade asked, surely he must be weak if he magicks were only just beginning to surface.

"On the contrary, from what I can tell at this early stage he is very strong."

"How strong?"

"It's impossible to tell before they fully emerge but perhaps as strong as the Uchiha."

Tsunade cursed under her breath, her hands scrunching the map that was spread over her desk.

"He would make a valuable alley..." Shikamaru said slowly.

"Or a formidable foe," Neji finished.

"The later they encounter the decision the more difficult it will be," Tsunade said ponderously. "Most Hunters grow up with their powers developing slowly but the longer they remain dormant the more quickly they will emerge and if he is strong... the power may be too much for him."

The other three nodded slowly in agreement.

"So what do we do?" pressed Shizune.

Tsunade thought carefully for a moment, "You are sure of what you felt, Neji?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Then we must break it to him gently... He will not be able to leave the coven of course. I should meet him. Neji, where is he?"

A distant look passed over Neji's face as he checked. "With Sasuke."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know. Sai and the girls took him to the Uchiha's rooms and he's alone with Sasuke now." Neji had of course kept the boy under his radar since he first sensed him.

"Well then fetch him and the Uchiha and I'll have a talk with them both."

*

In truth he was surprised, and Sasuke was rarely surprised. He hadn't expected this guy to follow him, most people wouldn't have done so. Even if he had saved their life, most people would still have left when he told them to and wouldn't have told anyone for fear of being thought mad. Not that he encountered people very often.

The fierce young man had just opened his mouth to ask why he couldn't have his answers again but Sasuke thought it best to cut him off.

"Look..."

An indignant look spread across the mans face as Sasuke waited for his name. "Naruto, my name is Naruto! Not that anyone bothered to find out!"

"That's because your name doesn't matter," Sasuke told him bluntly. "All that matters is that you need to leave this place right now, while you still can. You need to go back to your normal life and forget everything you've seen tonight!"

Sasuke knew if he didn't get this guy to leave soon they'd all be in trouble. But then again he'd never really cared about the rules. No, it wasn't getting in trouble that bothered him but the fact that this man was unusual. Sasuke hadn't talked to another 'normal' person in a long time and it felt utterly wrong for this guy to be here poking around.

Sasuke liked his secret lifestyle. The lifestyle of a dedicated Hunter. Some Hunters found it hard to lie to their family and friends but Sasuke didn't have the luxury of worrying about that. The moment he had joined the Hunt he had felt that he was home. Now this man was here and he was a threat to the coven's secrecy.

"I can't go back to my normal life!" Naruto protested. Sasuke looked up when he heard the break in the others voice. "I have no life, not any more!"

Sasuke didn't know what to say but he was saved from having to figure it out when there was a knock at the door.

"Sasuke? You and your guest need to come with me. Tsunade-sama would like a word with you both."

Sasuke groaned at the sound of Neji's posh accent. All hopes of keeping the blond a secret were gone the minute Naruto had encountered Neji. Few things got past that guy.

He looked at Naruto to see a confused and, to Sasuke's pleasure, fearful look on his face. He pulled the door open to reveal the long-haired Hyuuga.

*

Naruto recognised the pale-eyed man with a shock.

What was going on? Was he in trouble? What would they do to him? 'Judging by what I've seen of these peoples violent nature it's probably going to be something really painful!'

"Come on, Dobe." Naruto felt Sasuke walk up behind him. "You missed your chance to escape. Congrats, looks like you might get some answers now," the raven hissed in his ear, his voice, so full of contempt, made Naruto shiver involuntarily.

Naruto gave the long-haired man a nervous glance before Sasuke gave him a push out of the door. They followed the man through more winding underground tunnels. Naruto couldn't help feeling very glad that he had never suffered from claustrophobia. Every tunnel they travelled along had countless identical doors at seemingly random intervals. Naruto found it utterly confusing. 'How the hell do these people find their way around here?!'

Finally they stopped at another unmarked door. Their guide knocked before entering and they were led into what looked like a office. Naruto took in the three people waiting for them.

"Good job Neji," said the woman behind the desk who Naruto assumed was 'Tsunade-sama'. "Care to explain the situation, Sasuke?"

Her voice gave no room for argument. Naruto looked nervously at Sasuke who appeared perfectly calm.

"There is little to explain, Tsunade-sama. Unfortunately this idiot witnessed me deal with a vampire. Despite my best persuasion he followed me. I thought I had lost him until Sai brought him to my door a while ago. You will have to ask Sai for more details."

"I certainly will. But for now..." she turned her piercing gaze on Naruto. "Why exactly did you follow Sasuke?"

Naruto stood up a little straighter at his chance to explain. "Because this bastard owes me an apology!"

"Oh...?" Tsunade looked curiously at Sasuke who glared in the opposite direction, unconsciously pouting.

"Yeah! He burned my house down!"

Tsunade's gaze sharpened and she fixed the Sasuke with a calculating stare. "Sasuke, is this true?"

"Hn."

"Why does this provoke a feeling of déjà vu?"

Sasuke's head snapped towards her, his glare intensifying. As they stared each other down Naruto's eyes flicked between the two trying to understand what Tsunade was referring to.

"That is no longer a problem," Sasuke said stiffly.

Naruto's mind once again tried to figure out the cryptic message but it was no use. The more time Naruto spent here the more questions arose.

*

"That maybe, Uchiha, but it's still a big mistake. I mean, burning someone's house down?" said Tsunade in a tired voice.

"It wasn't a house!" Sasuke burst out, his anger evident as he clenched his fists by his sides. "It was a cardboard box!"

"Oh..."

"It was my house!" shouted Naruto.

Tsunade looked at the boy curiously. He was homeless anyway. Following Sasuke might have been the best decision he'd ever made. He would definitely have to stay here. The Hunt could teach him their ways... but it would be difficult. There was no telling how this would end.

"Well you won't be needing it now anyway," Tsunade said firmly.

The boy turned away from the Uchiha he had been glaring down to stare fearfully at her.

Deep blue eyes seemed to quiver slightly as he spoke, "Why? What are you going to do with me?"

"Do with you...? You seem to think we are as bad as the Yakuza," Tsunade gave a bitter laugh. "What's your name?"

"Naruto, Uzumaki Naruto."

"Well Naruto, you should know, we are the good guys here. From now on you live here."

"What?!" Both Sasuke and Naruto burst out at the same time.

*

Sasuke could barely believe what he was hearing. What the hell was she thinking?!

"He's staying?" asked Sasuke quickly. "Can't we wipe his memories and send him away?"

"Oh? And how do you propose we do that?"

Sasuke ignored how Naruto was now watching him with shock and curiosity. "Kakashi could do it."

"You know very well his methods are only temporary."

"Ino then."

"True, she could turn his mind to mush. But would you really wish that fate on anyone?"

Sasuke hesitated. He had seen Ino's victims after she was finished with them. No, he wouldn't wish that on anyone, even someone as annoying as the blond. But he was still tempted to lie.

"I thought not," said Tsunade before he had a chance to reply. "Naruto, I will assign you your own rooms. Unfortunately you will not be permitted to leave the coven but hopefully you will enjoy your stay."

"I'm not allowed to leave..." Naruto said quietly.

It was the first quiet thing Sasuke had heard him say and he couldn't help looking around at the boy when he heard Naruto's sad tone. The blond was looking at the floor. He expected Naruto to argue but the next second he was looking back at Tsunade.

"Okay, I'll stay. But what am I supposed to do lying around underground?"

"Don't worry we'll keep you busy," said Tsunade.

Sasuke eyed her suspiciously. There was a glint in her eye that he didn't like. Next second he was even more wary when she sent Neji to find Sai and then asked Naruto to wait outside. The blond gave Sasuke a questioning look which went ignored as he passed the raven.

"What's going on?" asked Sasuke as soon as the door closed.

"Was the vampire you encountered after him?"

"Yes, why?"

"Figures, he probably seemed like a tasty treat."

"Care to explain?" asked Sasuke impatiently.

"He has magick in his blood," said Tsunade heavily.

"What? How do you know?"

"Few things get past Neji."

Sasuke was silent for a moment. It explained why the vampire he had chased earlier that night hadn't gone straight into hiding; she must have encountered Naruto and couldn't resist. 'Tch, vampire's are such primitive creatures... no restraint.'

"Why haven't his powers manifested?"

"Neji believes he is in the early stages," explained Shikamaru. "It's unusual but not unheard of for people to develop late."

"So that's why you're keeping him here? To keep an eye on him when they hit him for real?"

"Exactly."

"And if he can't handle it?" Sasuke asked knowing the answer.

"We'll deal with him accordingly," said Tsunade.

"Business as usual," confirmed Sasuke.

He knew how it worked. Whenever a Hunter couldn't handle their powers they were 'dealt with'. It had to be that way. A Hunter without the willpower to fight the demonic pull of their blood magick was a danger to the entire Hunt. They were demons.

"I want you to train him," said Tsunade, taking advantage of Sasuke's silence.

"What? Why me?"

"Because I know you can handle it. You are one of the strongest hunters in our coven and... you of all people know the struggle he will face."

"We all know the struggle," replied Sasuke stubbornly.

"No. Most of us do not know it to the same extent, Sasuke. He is strong."

Sasuke looked her in the eye; he knew what that meant. He glanced to her companions, from their faces he could tell... they didn't know if Naruto could win.

He thought of Naruto. The guy was annoying that was for sure, but he was also determined, he had proved that much already tonight. Sasuke had to believe that with his strong will Naruto could fight his demonic side and win.

"He'll win."

"I really hope so," said Tsunade seriously. "There's a free set of rooms down the hall from you. Introduce him to some people. Get him some new clothes. Train him in basic combat before you bring in any powers. I'll let you break the news to him."

"Lucky me," said Sasuke sarcastically, turning to leave.

As he set his hand on the doorknob her voice stopped him again.

"Oh, and Sasuke?" he turned back in time to see her smile sadistically. "Be nice."

The Uchiha was out of her office and down the corridor so fast that Naruto, who had been leaning against the wall outside, barely noticed him pass until he was already turning the corner.

"Oi! Teme!" shouted Naruto running after him.
End Notes:
Reviews are very much appreciated! ^^
A Rude Awakening by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
*dresses up Naruto characters* ^^
"This is your room," said Sasuke sullenly.

Naruto gaped a bit. It was probably about the same as Sasuke's room but he hadn't really been looking at the Uchiha's room whilst he was being strangled. The bedroom wasn't very big but it was still a lot nicer than anywhere he could ever remember living. The furnishings were old and traditional. A thick rug lay in the middle of the room over hard stone, there was a desk, love-seat, chest of drawers and a wardrobe made of the same sturdy, dark wood as the queen-size four poster bed.

"I'll get the girls to go shopping for you."

"Shopping?"

"You can't wear those rags forever," Sasuke said dismissively.

"They're not rags!"

"Whatever," Naruto growled slightly but Sasuke ignored him. "It's nearly sunrise. Do you want dinner now or do you just want to go to sleep?"

"Dinner?" Naruto frowned in confusion.

"Yeah, the kitchen is back near the lounge."

"Dinner at sunrise?" Naruto asked again.

Sasuke suddenly realised what he was getting at. "The whole Hunt is nocturnal. There's no point being awake in the daytime when we can't hunt until nightfall."

"I suppose so," said Naruto thoughtfully. "So do you all have powers? Like your lightening and Ino's... mind-melting?"

"Yeah, we do..."

Sasuke looked away distractedly. Naruto walked over to the bed running a hand over the covers before throwing himself down on them. A small smile spread across his face at how comfy it was.

*

Sasuke watched Naruto stretch out on his new bed. How the hell was he supposed to break the news to him. How did one tell some homeless guy that he would soon gain powers that may be beyond his ability to control. First he needed to know which of the early symptoms he was showing.

"Say... Naruto?"

"Hmm?" Naruto looked up.

"Have you noticed anything strange recently?" probed Sasuke.

"Strange? You mean other than the existence of vampires and you people?"

"Yeah. Like how good is your night vision?"

Naruto sat up looking thoughtful. "It's good I guess. I mean I managed to see okay on the staircase leading down here."

'Very good then. The only light on that staircase is what leaks through the doors at either end.'

"Okay. How about your hearing?"

"I've never had any hearing problems, why?"

Sasuke ignored his question. "What about your sense of smell?"

"It's good, although that's a bad thing if you live where I do." Naruto pulled a face.

"Have you ever caught a cold?"

Naruto hesitated. Sasuke could almost see the gears turning in his brain. It was unusual not to get ill at some point during your life especially if you're living in less than pleasant conditions.

"Not that I remember. Heh, guess I must have a good immune system," said Naruto lightly.

"Neji-san was right..." muttered Sasuke.

He hadn't completely believed it but now all the signs were pointing toward the same conclusion.

"Right about what?"

"You met Neji on your way here didn't you?"

"I passed by him. He gave me such a weird look."

"Hmm."

Sasuke walked across the room to sit on the desk chair. Naruto was now sitting on the edge of his bed watching Sasuke think.

"Look! Are you going to give me some answers or are you going to keep asking random questions?!"

Sasuke gave him a long look before sighing softly, "Neji and his cousin are powerful Hunters. They can sense the magick within the blood of every demon and Hunter in this city if they put their minds together."

"Sense the magick...?"

"Yes the blood magick that resides within all of us here," Sasuke looked Naruto directly in the eye. "Including you."

"What?" shouted Naruto, jumping to his feet. "That's stupid! I'm not like you people! I'm not supposed to be here!"

"Yes you are. It all adds up. The reason you followed me-"

"I followed you because you owe me an apology!"

"You followed me because you were drawn to the coven, to my magick, the magicks of the people here and the ancient magick which protects our home," Sasuke explained calmly.

"That's ridiculous!"

"It's not. You yourself have admitted to feeling the early effects of magick. The heightened senses, the strong immune system, you've even developed your sixth sense."

"A sixth sense?"

"Yes. It is the sixth sense that led you here. You felt the pull. I also believe you used it to get past our doorman."

"That was a lucky guess!"

"Denial is a common part of the transition. But once your powers really manifest you'll need to except your fate."

Sasuke faced Naruto with a deadly serious look in his eye. The boy was looking properly frightened for the first time since he had arrived. A small, unwilling part of Sasuke felt sorry for him. It was a horrible position to be in, but they had all had to go through it and so would he.

*

Naruto felt quite sick as his knees gave way and he sunk onto the edge of the bed. This couldn't be real. 'This is the most surreal day I've ever had! These people are crazy! Either that or they're not real... which means I'm crazy.'

"One last question," Naruto glanced up at him, wondering if it could possibly get worse. "What's your favourite colour?"

Naruto was stumped, this guy clearly didn't get out much... but of course he didn't, the nocturnal bastard. "Orange, why?"

"Nevermind. I expect you wish to sleep right now but we can continue this conversation when you wake up."

Naruto nodded dumbly. He was in total shock but Sasuke was right; he was tired. So... so tired. He let himself fall back on the bed. It was comfy and warm and if he slept he wouldn't need to think about anything. But Sasuke was talking again.

"Suigetsu, I know you're there."

Naruto managed to keep his eyes open long enough to see a pale man slip out of the wall and into his room but then he sunk into unconsciousness.

*

Suigetsu grinned as he separated himself from the wall. "Making friends, Sasuke?"

"Must you always eavesdrop?"

Suigetsu faked an offended expression, "You make me out to be an insatiable gossip."

Sasuke rolled his eyes as Suigetsu's face broke into a sharp-toothed grin. Ignoring his fellow Hunter, Sasuke walked over to where Naruto was already fast asleep. The boy had had a long and difficult night, unfortunately his life wasn't going to get easier anytime soon.

"Not molesting the poor guy in his sleep, are we Sasuke?" taunted Suigetsu following him over to peer at Naruto. "He isn't exactly an eyesore though..."

Sasuke continued to ignore the other and he bent down to look at the bottom of Naruto's battered converse. He could barely read the size they were so worn out. "Size 10," he muttered, straightening again to take in Naruto's sleeping form. "Probably only one size bigger than me... but orange? What terrible taste."

Suigetsu gave a sharp laugh from behind him that caused Naruto to grunt and turn over. "You going shopping Sasuke?"

"No. Ino and Sakura are, since it's partly their fault he ended up here in the first place."

"But they'll enjoy it so it's not much of a punishment really."

"I don't care, as long as I don't have to do it."

Sasuke found Ino and Sakura in the lounge, gave them Naruto's sizes and told them he liked orange but not to go overboard with it. Judging by the way they both dressed solely in their favourite colour he didn't trust them not to buy Naruto as much orange as they could find. Then Suigetsu might have to rethink his statement that Naruto wasn't an eyesore.

*

Naruto was awoken by a gentle hand on his shoulder. Before he opened his eyes he sent out a silent prayer that it was all just a nightmare.

"Naruto? Wake up, it's breakfast time."

He cracked an eye open to find Sasuke's face very close to his. Dark eyes watched as Naruto stared in surprise at the Uchiha. As Sasuke straightened Naruto took in what he was wearing; a tank top with net sleeves and, Naruto gulped, tight leather trousers.

"What are you staring at?" asked Sasuke innocently, leaning closer and batting long dark lashes.

Naruto coughed looking away from the alluring sight. "Nothing."

"Sure," drawled Sasuke disbelievingly. "Your new clothes are on the sofa."

Naruto looked to the foot of his bed to find several large bags from shops he had never even dared to set foot in. He leapt out of bed so quickly Sasuke had to jump back to avoid a collision.

"Wow! Are these all for me?" said Naruto excitedly pulling several items from their bags. Then his face fell a little, he knew how expensive some of these shops were. "But these must have cost a lot..."

"You think the club upstairs is only for show? It's a very profitable business and the source of our funding," said Sasuke with a sly smile. "Go on, try them on, bet they look good on you!"

Naruto blushed a little at Sasuke's strange comment but nodded anyway. He picked out a long sleeved orange top with black straps and buckles attached, then some black ripped jeans.

He turned to Sasuke, "Er... mind giving me some privacy?"

"Do I have to?"

"What?!" Naruto gave Sasuke a shocked look.

Something was different about Sasuke. True, Naruto didn't really know him yet but he was sure the Sasuke from yesterday wouldn't have said something so forward.

"Okay then, since you're so shy, I'll just put away the rest of the clothes."

Naruto waited until Sasuke had his back turned and was hanging up his new clothes in the wardrobe. Then he slipped off his old clothes and worn out converse and changed into the brand new clothes. Now Naruto understood why Sasuke had asked his favourite colour. He must have guessed his size right too since the clothes fitted perfectly.

He was just pulling the orange top over his head when he felt Sasuke move behind him. He jumped a little when slender fingers helped him pull the top down, grazing the tanned skin of his hips as they did so.

"I can dress myself you know," Naruto's voice hitched involuntarily as he spoke.

He felt those cool fingers brush his skin again. As Sasuke ran his hands over Naruto's abdomen he rested his head between Naruto's shoulder blades.

"I know that," he said softly.

Naruto couldn't help the shiver that ran through his body at the feel of Sasuke pressed so close to him. His warmth was intoxicating and that low voice speaking into the crook of his neck was clouding his mind. Suddenly something occurred to him.

"Weren't you a bit taller than me yesterday?"

"I'm not wearing my boots right now," he could almost hear the pout in Sasuke's voice.

"I'm taller than you?" Naruto asked grinning stupidly.

"Don't rub it in," Sasuke said just as the door opened.

Naruto looked up and his jaw dropped. He had thought he was crazy before but now it seemed he was seeing things. In the doorway stood Sasuke who was looking equally surprised as his calculating eyes flickered from Naruto to eyes the same as his which watched him over Naruto's shoulder. A slight blush adorned the new Sasuke's pale cheeks as he saw where his doppelgänger's hands were. Behind Naruto's back the first Sasuke smirked at the new arrival.

"Naruto," said the second Sasuke to a panicked looking blond. "Get away from her."

"Her? Who are you talking-"

"He's referring to me," said a female voice behind him.

Naruto jumped, spinning around to face the short woman behind him.

"What the hell?!" he shouted in confusion backing away from her.

"Since when do I wear leather trousers?" Sasuke asked her sternly.

"Well there was that one time..."

"Shut up."

"Hello people?! I'd like an explanation, right now!"

"Naruto, this is Karin, she's a shape-shifter," then he raised his voice. "Suigetsu, you can show yourself too!"

Next second Naruto saw the same person he had glimpsed this morning walk straight through his wall. Naruto again gaped. This was the weirdest morning he'd ever had... or was it evening?

"You owe me 2000 Yen," Karin said triumphantly pointing at Suigetsu.

"Yeah yeah," said Suigetsu counting out the money as he turned to Naruto. "Somehow I just didn't think you were gay."

"What?! I'm not gay!" burst Naruto.

"You are, you were loving me as Sasuke!" shouted Karin.

Naruto felt his face burn and knew Sasuke was looking at him, "Well I'm not totally gay."

"You're bi?" asked Suigetsu.

"Yeah."

"Close enough," said Karin. "Pay up Suigetsu."

"Get lost! You bet he was gay, therefore you were wrong! You should be paying me!"

"Like hell I lost!" shouted Karin.

As the both of them started arguing Sasuke pushed between them. He snatched the money from Suigetsu's hand and gave it to Naruto.

"Since you were betting at Naruto's expense and you both lost he can have the money." As Suigetsu opened his mouth to argue and Karin began to laugh at him Sasuke held his hand out to Karin. "And I'll take your loss since you used my form in such a distasteful way."

There was much moaning before Karin finally handed over the cash and they both left. Sasuke and Naruto were left in an awkward silence.

"Well I came to wake you up but I see someone already did that for me," said Sasuke to break the silence.

"She sure did. Is everyone here as crazy as those two?"

"Not really. Those two were orphans and both had behavioural problems from a young age which they never really grew out of."

"Right... So does the whole 'Hunt' live here?"

"No, it's mainly the younger ones. A lot of the older Hunters live within the city, working along side mortals and going about their duties at night. There are similar safe-houses like this one for Hunter's in other cities."

Naruto thought this over for a minute. He supposed it made sense, or as much sense as any of this could make. Sasuke, it seemed, had finally decided to give him answers to his questions, perhaps because he knew Naruto wasn't going anywhere. He chanced a glance at Sasuke, who thankfully wasn't looking at him. He was looking at the clothes Sakura and Ino had brought. Then Naruto noticed them, a pair of heavy black boots on the floor by the sofa. They were just like Sasuke's except that these had red and yellow flames adorning the toes. Naruto stared at them, they were so cool!

Sasuke must have noticed him staring because he spoke with a smirk in his voice. "Why don't you try them on?"

"Hell yeah I will!"

It took him a while to figure out the many buckles and clips but once he did he laced them up properly and stood. He looked down at the flame patterns, then over at his reflection in the wardrobe mirror. He looked so different in these clothes, but he liked it. He gave an experimental jump in the boots; they were heavy and sturdy. With the metal bits on the toes Naruto could imagine it would hurt a lot if he were to kick someone with these on.

"It's cold underground so I told Sakura and Ino to find you a coat. If you put it on we can go for breakfast."

A bit more rummaging revealed a black long coat. As Naruto held it up it unfolded to reveal a pattern of orange flames along the bottom.

"Wow I really need to thank those girls," said Naruto as he threw the coat on, it fitted perfectly just like everything else had. "They're really good shoppers."

"They jumped at the chance."

Naruto grinned at Sasuke who turned away without another word to lead the way to the food hall. Naruto rolled his eyes. Sasuke may have decided to give him answers now but he was still a cold bastard and Naruto found he preferred it that way. "Overly-friendly-Sasuke may have been totally hot but it was still a little creepy.'
End Notes:
Tell me what you think, ne?
A Warm Welcome by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
Here goes...
To get to the food-hall Sasuke led Naruto through the lounge where a few people were milling around and down the corridor at the other end of the bar. The food-hall was packed with more Hunters most of them dressed in clothes similar to Naruto's new ones.

The same girl he had seen throwing the knife when he'd arrived yesterday was now sitting at a long dark wood table pointing her finger around the room causing a trail of silver cutlery to fly around, winding between the unfazed Hunters. Then she made eye contact with Naruto. There was a mischievous glint in her eye as she pointed at him. Next second he was forced to duck as the cutlery flew directly at him. He heard the cutlery crash into the wall behind him before it all landed on top of him.

Several people laughed as she shouted out, "Nice reflexes, Newbie!"

"That was cruel Tenten," said the strange looking boy beside her.

He was wearing tight green leather trousers with an orange belt, matching green t-shirt and green leather jacket. Naruto tried not to stare at the boys eyebrows as he walked briskly over. He grinned showing dazzling white teeth.

"You are Naruto-kun, are you not?" he held out his hand for Naruto to shake.

"How do you know?" asked Naruto as his hand was taken in a strong grip.

"Suigetsu told us all about you of course!" he beamed at Naruto again. "My name is Rock Lee and your attacker over there is Tenten." Naruto smiled warily at her, keeping an eye out for more projectiles. Lee saw his face and gave Naruto a hard pat on the back. "Don't worry she was only messing with you. Anyway what do you want for breakfast? I'm cooking today!"

"Erm..." he looked to Sasuke for help but the other was already sitting at the table. "I'll have whatever you're having, please Lee-san."

"Excellent choice my friend!" the excitable boy shouted. "I'll make us a healthy breakfast to promote strength in our youthful bodies!"

As Lee bounced around the kitchen area Naruto took a seat beside Sasuke. He couldn't help looking around at the Hunters. On the outside they just looked like extremely dressed punks but Naruto knew that wasn't the case. He watched Sasuke take a sip of his coffee as he perused the newspaper, it seemed like such a normal thing to do.

A moment later two familiar girls settled at the table in front of Naruto. They looked him over once before nodding to each other.

"So you're staying then?" asked Ino.

"Yeah."

"And you liked the clothes?" asked Sakura.

"Very much, thank you!"

"Good," said Ino.

"I think we got off to a bad start," Sakura said with a smile as she extended a hand. "My name is Haruno Sakura." Naruto had his hand shaken in her firm grip. "And this is my girlfriend, Yamanaka Ino."

"Girlfriend...?" Naruto repeated as Ino also shook his hand.

"Yeah as in that kind of girlfriend," the blonde clarified.

"Ooh..."

"But I hear you're bi anyway, so assume you don't have a problem with it?" said Sakura in a tone that told Naruto he better not have a problem with it.

"Er no... but how do you know I'm bi?!"

"Suigetsu's a terrible gossip," she told him.

Both girls smiled as he buried his burning face in his hands. It was only his first day here and already it seemed the whole coven knew more about him than he'd ever let on to anyone in his entire life!

Naruto was saved from further embarrassment when Lee produced breakfast. He set down in front of Naruto a bowlful of muesili, a tall glass of some thick green liquid, a banana, an apple and a wholegrain bagel smothered in peanut butter.

"Tuck in my friend!" shouted Lee as he sat down with an identical breakfast.

Naruto looked pleadingly at the girls who were sniggering at his predicament. Giving up on any help from them he turned to Sasuke beside him, motioning at the large meal. The raven gave him a long unsympathetic look before stealing his apple.

It took Naruto a long time to eat his breakfast, he left half the muesili and took one sniff of the suspicious looking drink before pouring it away. They had moved to the lounge at about 10pm and Sasuke had left for the surface a little while later. It was about 4am and Naruto was still finding it hard to grasp that he had eaten lunch at midnight. Sakura and Ino had shown him around the coven earlier, including a musty old library where Sai was ordering books as part of his punishment for bringing an outsider to the coven, although the man seemed to be enjoying it a bit too much for Naruto to believe it was really a fitting punishment. After Sakura had made Sai find her a book the three had spent most of the night in the lounge watching the Hunters pass through.

Naruto looked over at Sakura and Ino who lay comfortably on one of the many velvet sofas, "What's Lee's power?"

Sakura looked up at him, "Hmm it's not an obvious power like most of ours but if I had to choose one I'd say it's his speed, he's incredibly fast. He's also got endless energy and he heals really quickly, but that might be thanks to his diet."

"Cool. So then Sasuke has lightening," said Naruto ticking them off with his fingers, "Karin is the shape-shifter, Suigetsu walks through walls-"

"And pretty much anything else he wants to," added Ino.

"-Lee is fast, Neji and his cousin sense magick-"

"It's not quite as simple as that but go on."

"Right, so then Tenten..."

"Is telekinetic."

"Okay... And Ino melts peoples minds-"

"I do what?" interrupted Ino, sitting bolt upright.

"Turn their minds to mush. Sasuke suggested you do it to me because he didn't want me to stay here."

"He suggested I do that..." Ino looked thoughtful. "You know Naruto-kun that's the extreme of my power."

"The 'extreme'?"

"Yeah, basically I'm able to confuse my enemies minds, mess with their senses and such making it very hard to them to fight well. But if I can get a good grip on their head, like this," she placed her hands over Sakura's temples, "Then I can cause them permanent brain damage."

Naruto nodded. As he looked at Sakura he felt a sudden admiration, he knew he wouldn't be able to sit their, unflinching, when he knew Ino could do that.

"What's your power, Sakura?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Who me?" she said sweetly. "I'm but a weak young woman."

Ino laughed at her performance and Sakura smiled obligingly. Then she stood up, walked around the sofa Ino was sitting on and gripped the back. Without breaking a sweat she lifted the sofa and her girlfriend clean off the ground. At hearing Naruto's gasp she set the seat back down and jumped over the back to sit beside Ino again, satisfied that she had impressed him.

As the conversation lapsed Naruto's mind was drawn to Sasuke, "Is Sasuke out hunting vampires?" he asked the girls.

"We don't just hunt vampires you know," Naruto jumped at the voice directly behind him. He turned to see Neji smiling at him. "It's a full moon tonight so most probably Sasuke's after a werewolf, they tend to make a nuisance of themselves during the full moon."

"A nuisance?"

Neji nodded as he settled himself into an old armchair and crossed his legs neatly. He was wearing an expensive looking cloak, black trousers and a white medieval styled shirt, the sleeves of which were tucked into arm guards. Naruto thought he looked as though he'd walked out of the history books.

"They're a nuisance but werewolves and vampires are not the greatest threats we face," explained Neji. "There are levels of evil within the world, Naruto-kun. At the bottom are the common filth; hybrids such as vampires and werewolves who exist because of viruses. And at the top are the demons. It might interest you to know that the Yakuza consists of mostly top-level demons."

"Really? But why don't the normal people notice?"

"People don't see what they don't want to, otherwise we wouldn't have survived this long."

"How old is the Hunt then?"

"Very old. You've noticed the age of this underground labyrinth?" Naruto nodded. "There wasn't always a club up there," Neji said pointing at the ceiling. "A long time ago there was a church and these quarters were used for worship. The Hunters of that era went by a different name. They were called 'witches' and this was their ground of worship. The protection enchantments they placed over the area were so strong they remain to this day, protecting the descendants of the witches." Sakura and Ino smiled at Neji's storytelling and Naruto's obvious interest. "I suppose you've heard of the famous witch hunts?" Naruto nodded again. "It's believed they started when ordinary people discovered the extent to the witches magick. They were afraid and offended that people they deemed 'evil' gathered in a church of God to worship him, just as they did. They feared that God would punish them all because of the 'sins' of the witches. Some of the old stories tell of how the ringleaders of the witch hunts themselves became so obsessed with their 'purification' that they accused the innocent and eventually became what we now know as 'demons'."

"Storytelling are we Neji-san?" said a cold voice behind Naruto.

The gathered party looked up at a dripping Sasuke, it was obviously raining heavily on the surface.

"Just thought he might like to know a bit of the Hunt's history," said Neji pleasantly.

"Those stories are merely myths, there is very little truth in them," Sasuke told Naruto firmly.

"But I thought vampire's were a myth yesterday," Naruto pointed out.

Sasuke's jaw clenched. "Come with me," he ordered, turning away.

"I don't take orders from you!" said Naruto stubbornly.

Sasuke looked over his shoulder to give the blond a sceptical look. "I've been put in charge of training you, so from now on you do take orders from me."

Naruto glared but followed Sasuke from the lounge and back into the labyrinth. Sasuke walked briskly along the passages and Naruto found himself looking at the large slabs of stone that seemed to be everywhere around here.

"If Neji's story is just a myth, how did this place come to exist?" he asked Sasuke's back.

The Uchiha didn't stop but he slowed down a little. "I didn't say there was no truth in them... history tells us that this is in fact holy ground. But his theory of the witch hunt leaders magically becoming demons is just for dramatic purposes. Most likely the demons started the witch hunt in the first place as a guise under which to exterminate us."

"Oh..." Naruto supposed that made sense.

Sasuke led him through another unmarked door and Naruto found himself standing on a platform at the edge of a cavernous room. Every room Naruto had seen so far had low ceilings and a claustrophobic feel to them but this one... was huge. The ceiling was dome shaped and from the centre of the dome hung a great brazier full of that same pale fire that burned everywhere within the coven. There were twin staircases leading down to the floor and once they had descended the left hand one Naruto moved into the middle of the room drinking in the sight.

"Neji would tell you this is where they used to perform their 'rituals'," said Sasuke mockingly. "I don't know what it was used for but now it's our main sparring room."

"Is that what we're doing now? Sparring? You said you were put in charge of training me."

"We'll get to that later," said Sasuke his voice turning serious. "Naruto... There's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

"You need to understand the situation between Hunters and demons."

"Neji was telling me a while ago."

Sasuke raised an eyebrow. "What did he tell you?"

"That there are lower levels of evil like vampires and werewolves and then top level demons like those in the Yakuza. And that the Hunt has always fought them."

"Okay, but what I need to tell you is about how a demon is formed."

"How they're formed? Aren't they just born demons?"

"No, just as we are not born Hunters, they are not born demons," Sasuke said slowly walking closer to the centre of the room. "Sometimes a child is born with magick in their blood. For their first 13 years they may live a normal life, though they are unlikely to ever fall ill. Any time after their 13th birthday their powers may emerge. You know the early signs." Naruto nodded. "The first time their powers appear will usually be at a time when their emotions are running high. Soon after they use their powers for the first time they will face a decision."

Naruto had been listening intently as the Uchiha explained all this but at the mention of a decision he met Sasuke's eyes. There was a strange emotion hidden within those depths. "What kind of decision?"

"Whether to become a Hunter or... a demon."

Naruto gaped for a moment. "That's how demons are formed? But why would anyone choose to be a demon?" The mere idea seemed ridiculous to Naruto.

"It's not as easy as a yes or no choice," snapped Sasuke. "The pull of the demonic magicks in our blood is strong. You can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to control the demonic urges until you experience it."

"So I'm going to have to face the same choice as everyone here. But if they managed to fight it, surely I can too."

"Do not underestimate the demonic magicks. Yes, everyone else here has conquered their urges. But for people like us it's not as easy."

"Us?"

"Yes, us. Me and you are different. The stronger we are the more difficult the fight is. I am one of the strongest Hunters in this coven... and Neji believes you are strong too."

Naruto looked away, this was beginning to sound very risky. "What will happen if I can't fight it?"

"If you lose... you will be a demon, our enemy and therefore a target."

Naruto's head snapped around to look at Sasuke. "If I can't win this fight they'll kill me," he confirmed.

"Yes."

Naruto searched Sasuke's face for any emotion but the Uchiha had his mask firmly in place. Those black eyes watched as Naruto sunk slowly to his knees on the cold stone.

"What the hell am I going to do?" asked Naruto miserably.

"You're going to fight," Sasuke answered firmly. Naruto looked up at the Uchiha standing over him. "If I can stand here, now, a Hunter, so can you."

Sasuke extended a hand to Naruto. Deep blue eyes looked at the pale hand for a moment before Naruto grasped the slender fingers and allowed Sasuke to pull him up.
End Notes:
Hope you liked it, I have to say I'm having so much fun writing this because it's supernatural and gives me room to be creative... that and I'm writing about my favourite characters! Please review, they always mean so much to me
Control by suzieuchiha
When night fell again Naruto got up and headed for his en suite bathroom. Sasuke's words from yesterday still echoed in mind.

"You're going to fight."

Damn right he was going to fight. If the Uchiha bastard was capable of being a Hunter then Naruto could do it to.

"I won't lose to you, teme," he muttered as he climbed out of the shower.

"Talking to yourself?"

Naruto spun around to find Suigetsu's head sticking through the bathroom door.

"What the hell?" he yelled, quickly covering himself with a towel. "Just because you don't need to use a door doesn't mean you don't have to knock!"

Suigetsu cackled evilly still looking Naruto over, "Sasuke sent me," he said conversationally, pulling out of the door as Naruto opened it and walked into his room. "He said you're to meet him in the arena after breakfast."

"Damn bastard giving orders again," muttered Naruto, searching through his new clothes. "Wait... there's an arena?" he asked turning back to Suigetsu who was lazing on his bed.

"You went there yesterday didn't you?"

"That big sparring place?"

"That's the one."

"Ah... right. Hang on if you guys are nocturnal shouldn't you say 'yesternight'?"

Suigetsu let out another short cackle, "Yeah, but then we'd have to call lunch a midnight feast etcetera etcetera and it'd all get too damn confusing."

"It's already damn confusing," Naruto protested. "Anyway do you mind giving me some privacy?" Naruto made shooing gestures at the annoying man.

"Do I have to?" asked Suigetsu with a sly grin.

Naruto fought a blush as Sasuke/Karin's words from yesterday were repeated. He moved quickly, snatching up one of his old converse and throwing it at Suigetsu. But it never made contact as the grinning man sunk down through Naruto's bed and out of sight. Naruto checked quickly under the bed before getting changed.

"These people are so weird," he muttered as he pulled on his boots.

But weird as they were they had been good to him. He was certainly having more fun down here with the crazies than he had been having on the surface. It was just a waiting game now, until his powers came out... if they even did. Despite everything there was still a small part of Naruto that doubted Neji's analysis of him. What if he didn't discover any amazing powers? Then what? Would he be forced to live in poverty amongst normal people again, with the knowledge of the war that was happening under everyone's noses? Naruto knew he wouldn't be able to go back to that life. But perhaps if Ino melted his brain he wouldn't need to worry about the Hunters war. He shuddered at the thought; even Sasuke had admitted he wouldn't wish that on anyone.

In the kitchen he tactfully avoided Lee's generous offer of breakfast and had toast instead. Then he hurried away back into the main labyrinth. After several twists and turns he realised he couldn't remember the path Sasuke had taken yesterday. Panicking slightly he tried to retrace his steps.

Not looking where he was going he turned a corner only to have a short person bounce right off him. She fell back on the floor with a small squeak.

"Oh crap, I'm sorry!" he apologised immediately reaching out a hand to help her up.

As soon as she looked up his continued apology died in his throat. He knew instantly who this must be when pale lilac eyes looked up at him timidly. Naruto helped the girl to her feet and she blushed madly looking anywhere but at him. Her long hair was darker than her cousins and she lacked his confident attitude as she stood before Naruto twiddling with the lilac silk lining of her black velvet cloak. Like her cousin her clothes were of the old wiccan style.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to knock you over," Naruto tried again. "You must be Neji's cousin, right?"

She blushed again and nodded.

"Well it's nice to meet you! I'm Uzumaki Naruto," Naruto extended a friendly hand.

She looked at it for a moment as though afraid it would burn if she touched him. "M-My name is H-Hyuuga H-H-Hinata," she stuttered with a slight bow. "I-It's very n-nice to meet you, N-N-Naruto-kun."

Naruto removed his hand awkwardly and mimicked her bow with less grace than she had managed. "Er, yeah you too. Anyway do you think you could help me out? I need to find the arena."

"H-Hai, f-follow me."

With that she walked past him and turned down the passage opposite to the one he had just come from. She walked quickly looking at the wall on one side of the corridor. They turned down a long passage that Naruto thought he remembered (but then again they all looked the same anyway).

"I-It's the last d-d-door down here. You s-should hurry, S-Sasuke-kun is looking impatient."

With that she left him, hurrying away quickly with her cloak flying behind her. Naruto shouted a quick "Thanks!" at her retreating back before she was gone.

"Strange girl," he muttered. But then again there was so many strange people in this coven, what was one more?

As he approached the last door of the tunnel he wondered briefly how she had known Sasuke was getting impatient. Surely she hadn't been able to she him? But then he remembered what Sakura had said when he had said the Hyuuga's sensed magick.

"It's not that simple..."

So apparently there was more to Neji and Hinata's powers than he had first thought. As soon as he hurried onto the platform over the arena room Sasuke's voice echoed up to him.

"You sure took you time."

"Teme," Naruto growled as he walked down to the floor. "I got lost! Seriously how the hell do any of you find your way around this maze?!"

Sasuke was standing in the middle of the room. "You will learn to trust your sixth sense in time."

"How the hell does a 'sixth sense' help me not to get lost?!"

"The same way it helped you guess that tarot card. The sixth sense, or the 'undefined sense' gives us a idea of what is right or wrong, if we are in danger, where to strike an enemy, etcetera. The sixth sense is only as strong as the person wishes it to be. It's signals are subtle so we must learn to listen to them."

"Eh? How?"

"Meditation."

"Meditation? Is that why you brought me down here?"

"Yes, it's a relief to know you're not completely stupid."

"Teme! I'm not stupid at all dammit!"

"Whatever Dobe."

Sasuke sat down where he was and gestured for Naruto to sit opposite him. Naruto ground his teeth together and sat on the other side of the circular decoration in the middle of the chamber.

"This chamber is highly charged in magick. Perhaps because of all the fights that have been held here or perhaps because of those old rituals Neji told you about," Sasuke said rolling his eyes. "Whatever the reason, it has always been a spiritually peaceful place which makes it the perfect place to get in touch with your inner self."

Naruto failed to hold back a snigger at that point.

"You think this is funny?" snapped Sasuke incredulously.

"No, I think you're funny, Mr Guru," replied Naruto with a taunting grin.

Sasuke bristled, "Come closer Naruto, I wish to show you something."

Curious, Naruto leaned closer to the Uchiha. Sasuke moved quickly, flicking Naruto hard on the forehead with an electrically charged finger. Naruto let out a cry of surprise and fell backwards rubbing the reddening spot on his forehead.

"Teme! What the hell was that for?!"

"Don't mock me," snarled Sasuke, then he took a deep calming breath. "Now, relax."

"Kind of hard to relax when-" started Naruto.

"Just do it!" growled the Uchiha.

With a huff Naruto crossed his legs again and mimicked Sasuke's peaceful expression as he closed his eyes.

"Now, breath in deeply through your nose... and out again through your mouth," as the Uchiha spoke he demonstrated the simple instructions.

Naruto cracked an eye open to look at Sasuke. The others eyes were closed as he spoke in low calming tones, his deep voice filling the chamber. Naruto took the opportunity to admire Sasuke in the light of the flickering white flames above them. Sasuke's pale skin seemed to glow in the unnatural light and his pitch black hair had taken on a bluish sheen. Suddenly a frown marred the peaceful image of the Hunter before him and Sasuke's eyes snapped open, glaring at Naruto.

"The sixth sense also allows a Hunter to know when someone is watching them, Dobe."

"Stop calling me that!" cried Naruto, his fists clenching by his sides.

"Only when you stop acting like the moron you are!" retorted Sasuke.

"I'm not a moron!" Naruto sprung to his feet.

*

Sasuke felt frustration thread through every vein in his body. This guy was impossible! Every little thing he did seemed to make Sasuke's blood boil.

"You are if you can't see the value of what I'm trying to teach you!" Sasuke was fuming as he shot to his feet. "This is not a GAME!"

As his shout echoed through the chamber the air fizzed and began to get impossibly heavy with wild magick, pressing down on, but at the same time, elevating Sasuke.

"Meditation is an important part of controlling the demonic energies! If you don't learn to control this power you will die and I will most likely be the one to kill you!"

Sasuke's voice was magnified inside the chamber as electrical currents skittered over his skin. He could feel the anger boiling up inside him, burning every nerve within his body. These powerful emotions begged to be released... no they demanded to be released. He wouldn't have a choice in the matter!

Sasuke saw through sharpened vision that Naruto was backing away. Those blue eyes were wide in shock and fear.

"Y-your eyes...!" stuttered Naruto as he stumbled backwards.

'Yessss...' thought Sasuke. 'My eyes!'

His eyes burned but yet they saw every small detail. He could smell the fear radiating from Naruto. Sasuke spread his arms wide, electricity pulsing through him, wild magicks singing to his blood. He felt so... alive! It had been too long since he'd felt this kind of power!

He advanced slowly on Naruto who had fallen to the floor. He would show this idiotic boy what it meant to be powerful!

*

Then someone was standing before Sasuke, barring his path. Sasuke swung at the man planning to knock him out of the way with one powerful strike. But Neji caught his arm and the pent up lightening there disappeared.

Naruto watched as the Hyuuga pressed his palm flat to Sasuke's chest. Neji's long hair was lifted by the energy crackling through the strands and his white eyes glowed with the same light produced by the flames hanging above them.

The Uchiha cried out in pain and anger as Neji pushed him to the floor. Sasuke continued to struggle even as the electrical currents disappeared from his skin. From behind Naruto ran Hinata. As Neji restrained Sasuke, Hinata pressed her fingertips to his temples, a look of concentration on her face. Naruto stared in shock as her eyes also began to glow, but unlike Neji her hair remained flat.

After a minute or so the Uchiha stopped struggling and Naruto soon saw Sasuke's eyes return to their normal colour. Neji climbed off of the drained Uchiha with a sigh of relief and Hinata gently brushed Sasuke's hair from his eyes before standing.

Naruto quickly knelt beside the Uchiha as Neji straightened. Sasuke's eyes where blank as he stared at the fire above him. Naruto would have thought he was dead, if he hadn't been panting, the raven's skin was ashen and pale and his eyes held no life.

"What did you do to him?" Naruto asked turning to glance between the Hyuuga cousins whose eyes were still glowing.

Neji sighed as he ran a hand through his hair which still sparked angrily. "We absorbed his demonic energies."

"D-Don't worry, he'll b-be okay after he s-sleeps," explained Hinata.

"But what was wrong with him? He just changed, it was like he wasn't even himself anymore, and his eyes... they glowed red!" Naruto shivered.

Hinata looked awkward and glanced at Neji to answer. "I think you should ask him that."

"But-"

"Look, Naruto, Sasuke just needs to rest. He will explain it to you later... he will have to. For now would you mind getting him back to his room? I'd do it myself but I need to discharge my hair first; I'll give people static shocks if I touch them like this. Absorbing Sasuke's electricity always does this to me," Neji explained with a wry smile.

Naruto glanced back at Sasuke who's breathing had finally slowed.

"Yeah I'll get him back to his room," then he looked at Hinata. "Why isn't your hair all charged like Neji's?"

"I-I didn't absorb as m-much energy as N-Neji-niisan," she stuttered, looking away shyly.

"Hinata-sama only absorbed a small amount of energy from certain points within his brain whereas I had to diffuse all that electric."

Naruto nodded, "But why are your eyes still glowing?"

"They'll stop in a while, though mine will take longer than Hinata-sama's since I gained more demonic energy which needs to be neutralised. Anyway you should get him to bed, he won't be conscious for very long," said Neji, nodding at Sasuke.

Naruto nodded and approached the Uchiha. He knelt down at Sasuke's side again.

"Sasuke, can you walk?" he asked softly, touching the others hand.

He was surprised by the temperature of Sasuke's skin; he was completely frozen!

"Don't bother," said Neji. "The lights are on but nobodies home. You'll need to carry him."

Naruto took a deep breath and slipped his arms underneath Sasuke's cold body. He really hoped the Uchiha wasn't aware of his surroundings or Sasuke would undoubtedly be pissed off later.

As he reached the stone steps he heard Neji speak in a soft voice, "Mind giving me a hand with this?"

Naruto glanced back to see the Hyuuga's sitting in the same position he and Sasuke had been in. He watched as Hinata pressed one hand to the floor letting Neji put his right hand over it, then Neji put his left hand on the floor and Hinata placed hers over his. The two Hyuuga Hunters then looked each other in the eyes and channelled the electricity from Neji's hair into their hands and then into the floor.

Naruto turned away before they realised he was watching, somehow the ritual just seemed... sacred and Naruto didn't want to intrude.

Naruto found it surprisingly easy to carry Sasuke, the Uchiha wasn't very heavy at all. As he stepped into the labyrinth he took a deep breath. He wouldn't get lost this time. He walked through the maze of tunnels, slowly becoming more familiar with their twists and turns. But just when he was beginning to feel more confident he reached another junction.

"Dammit," he cursed softly.

Sasuke shifted at the noise, his head coming to rest on Naruto's shoulder. Naruto blushed as the Uchiha's breath ghosted over his neck. It would be useful to have the Uchiha awake as a guide right about now. But he didn't really want to wake Sasuke; Neji had said he needed rest and besides the Uchiha was much more pleasant when he wasn't conscious.

So Naruto closed his eyes and took a deep breath and tried listening to this sixth sense that he was supposed to have. Then he looked right and left. Neither felt right.

Naruto looked down at Sasuke, sleeping peacefully. 'Come on Sasuke, which way do we go?' he thought at the Uchiha. Then he looked left and right again. 'Random guess time... we go left!'

He continued down the left hand passage and repeated the process at the next junction he came too. Naruto turned a corner and had to stop himself from cheering in triumph.

"Nice sixth sense work bastard," he muttered to Sasuke who just continued to breath softly.

They entered Sasuke's room and Naruto lay him gently on the bed. Once he'd pulled off Sasuke's heavy boots he pulled the covers over the sleeping Hunter.

Naruto looked around. This was only the second time he'd been inside the Uchiha's room and the first time he'd been able to appreciate how similar it was to his. There were a few subtle differences though, for example the bookshelf near the desk which was full of heavy volumes, dull with age. Naruto crossed the room quietly and ran his fingers over the tomes. He wondered if Sasuke actually read them, they looked really boring.

Once he had explored the Uchiha's room some more he returned to Sasuke's side. He didn't know why he was still hanging around. He didn't need to be here but... he didn't want to leave. Naruto gently ran his fingers over Sasuke's pale cheek, he was still cold but he didn't look like he was dead anymore. He pulled his hand away when Sasuke turned his head towards his fingers.

'I should go, the bastard will probably be in an awful mood when he wakes up.'

Naruto started to walk away but a strangled noise from the bed halted his steps. Sasuke's head was thrown to the other side and his brow was furrowed in pain. Naruto instinctively took hold of the Uchiha's cold hand. He rubbed his thumb over the back of Sasuke's murmuring calming words to the other. After a moment Sasuke seemed to settle down.

Naruto let go all the while whispering that he wouldn't leave. Instead he moved to the love-seat at the end of Sasuke's bed shaking his head lightly as he rested his chin on his arms so that he could look over the back of the seat and watch over Sasuke. He didn't know why he was doing this. Sasuke was a powerful guy, he could take care of his own nightmares.

Perhaps it was because of what had happened tonight; he had seen a scary side of the Uchiha. When Sasuke's eyes had glowed Naruto had felt scared of him for the first time since he'd met him. But it wasn't because of the power Sasuke had displayed, no, Naruto already knew he was powerful. It was because of what he had seen in the Hunters eyes, that wild power and uncontained bloodlust.

Sasuke hadn't been in control.
End Notes:
Hmmm I hope this chapter went how I intended it to. I know there was a lot of explaination of the Hyuuga's ability but it's sort of nessacery and Naruto is a curious character

Please leave a review with your opinion, thanks for reading!
Help by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
I always love to illustrate my stories since it makes the story more vivid in my mind and this time they all have such gorgeous outfits that I couldn't resist. So the first one I've totally finished is actually a picture of Tenten: http://mcrluver25.deviantart.com/art/Hunter-Tenten-Full-Colour-97271133
Next is Naruto ^^
Sasuke had the strange feeling of floating to the surface of a vast ocean as he slowly returned to consciousness. He was warm and comfortable and didn't particularly feel like waking up. His limbs were still heavy and eventually his mind presented the reason for his lack of energy. That woke him up and Sasuke sat bolt upright as vivid red eyes flashed through his mind. His head throbbed in protest and he held it in his hands running his fingers through his hair.

'What the hell happened?' he asked himself. Well actually it was pretty obvious what had happened; he had lost control. It had been a while since he'd had another relapse, he'd thought he had beaten it. Sasuke had been able to keep a firm lock on all strong emotions that might awaken his demonic urges.

There was a soft snore and Sasuke looked up, cursing himself for not sensing the intruder. At the end of his bed was Naruto. He was leaning over the back of the sofa, his blond head resting on his arms as he slept peacefully. Apparently Naruto hadn't recovered from his change in sleeping pattern yet.

Sasuke frowned slightly. This person was the reason for his relapse. Naruto was just so frustrating that he had managed to break the cage where Sasuke kept his emotions safely hidden away.

'Why is he here? Come to think of it... how did I get into bed? Please don't say he carried me... I really hope it was just Neji. But why would Naruto be here otherwise? He must have carried me... is there a dignified way to be carried? At least he didn't decide to undress me for bed.' Sasuke resisted the urge to bury his face in his hands again. This was awkward and embarrassing. 'Why did he have to stay here? Why couldn't he go and sleep in his own bed? Maybe he feels guilty for pissing me off...' Sasuke snorted softly at that idea. 'Not bloody likely, he probably just wants to grill me about what happened.'

"Y-your eyes...!"

Sasuke sighed softly. He would have to explain himself. It was going to be a difficult conversation. 'Maybe I'll take a shower first...'

With much more effort than it should have taken, Sasuke pulled himself out of bed cursing softly as his legs nearly gave way beneath him. He really hated feeling this weak but he always ended up like this after having a brush with the Hyuuga's.

Standing beneath the hot stream of water Sasuke had to cling to the wall just to stay standing. He cursed the Hyuuga's in the same breath as he cursed himself. He could blame Naruto all he wanted but the fact remained that it was his fault. He shouldn't have let himself get so wound up, he shouldn't have lost control.

Every time he closed his eyes his mind conjured haunting images from the past. Of burning buildings exhaling black smoke and... of burning bodies. A low satisfied chuckle rung in his ears and he saw the man responsible for the massacre. He ran his fingers along the silver chain around his neck as he saw red eyes sparking with sickening pleasure and a hint of madness. Sasuke shook his head attempting to rid himself of the images but he only succeeded in increasing the pounding in his skull.

Sasuke stumbled out of the shower and grasped the towel rail. He took a few moments to steady himself before drying off and leaving the bathroom to search for some clean clothes. He checked that Naruto was still snoring before changing into jogging bottoms and a clean t-shirt.

Then he stood over Naruto and poked him, hard. The blond grumbled as he took his time waking up. Whilst Naruto got his bearings Sasuke moved to lean against the post of his bed, not because he was as cool and collected as he appeared but because he needed something to lean on.

"Why exactly are you sleeping in my room?" asked Sasuke coldly.

Naruto reached a hand to the back of his neck and blushed at being caught, apparently he hadn't meant to fall asleep. "I was tired..." he said lamely.

"Well that much is obvious," replied Sasuke snidely.

"Teme! I didn't mean to! You could at least thank me for carrying your heavy ass back here after you went skits!" Naruto retorted, his voice already rising as he stood.

'Well that answers that question,' thought Sasuke trying not to picture Naruto carrying him.

"I'm not that heavy," he said flatly.

Naruto hesitated and Sasuke knew Naruto was agreeing with him. But even as he thought he'd won Naruto opened his mouth again. "Well actually that's true, what with that little girly figure of yours you were easy to carry since I'm so strong."

Sasuke spluttered and glared at him. "Since you're so strong perhaps you'd like to prove it some time?" he challenged.

"Hell yeah I would! Anytime, anywhere teme! I'll fight you right now dammit!" he put a fist up to demonstrate how ready he was.

"Bring it on!" Sasuke replied, pushing away from the bedpost without thinking.

It happened in a split second. As Sasuke pushed away from his support his head began to spin, a rushing sound filled his ears and his knees gave way.

*

Naruto stared in surprise as Sasuke's knees made contact with the hard stone. Sasuke managed to stop his face from hitting the floor with his arms. Naruto immediately dropped to his knees and put a hand on the Uchiha's back. Sasuke's arms shook as he shrugged Naruto's hand away and rolled over to lean against the bed. He was panting and his eyes were almost closed.

"Are you okay?" Naruto asked, fearing to touch the Uchiha again in case he was pushed away or worse, electrocuted.

Sasuke just looked away. Naruto could tell he didn't like to look weak and he had certainly been hiding it well a minute ago. Naruto, after seeing the strong and snappy Sasuke standing there looking so at ease, had completely forgotten about Neji saying he needed to rest. As soon as Sasuke had started insulting him he had assumed the Uchiha was okay.

'A damn good actor is what he is,' thought Naruto angrily.

"You need to stay in bed," said Naruto reaching to help Sasuke up. "Neji said you needed to rest."

Sasuke slapped Naruto's hands away as he glared in the opposite direction, "I'm fine," he hissed angrily.

"No you're not! You can barely stand!" protested Naruto.

Sasuke didn't reply. Instead he wrapped his hands firmly around the bedpost and started pulling himself up, his arms shaking from the effort. Naruto flitted around the stubborn Uchiha, ready to catch him should he fall. This seemed to annoy Sasuke hugely as the raven haired man seemed determined to prove how capable he was.

"Stop worrying like some bloody woman," grumbled Sasuke as he climbed into bed and leaned against the headboard.

"Teme! Why would I worry about your prissy ass?!" Naruto scowled in denial.

"Hn, whatever. You can leave now."

Naruto growled as Sasuke's dismissive tone. "I'm not leaving; you owe me a damn explanation!"

Sasuke didn't reply, he seemed to be battling with the urge to refuse. "I don't have to explain myself to you."

"Yeah you do! Neji said you'd have to!"

Sasuke frowned, looking away he muttered something that sounded like, "Damn Hyuuga." Then he sighed and turned to Naruto. "You may as well take a seat," he said, motioning towards his desk chair.

Naruto straddled the chair and waited for Sasuke to explain. The Uchiha took a moment to gather his thoughts.

"You remember I told you that the choice between demon and Hunter wasn't an easy one?" Naruto nodded. "Well I believe you got a first hand experience of just how hard it is," Sasuke said bitterly. "As I said before the magick in my blood is strong. I can usually control it but when I got angry at you I lost that control."

"You're blaming me?" asked Naruto incredulously.

Sasuke sighed heavily and lifted a hand to rub at his temple, "No, I'm not blaming you. It's just... I haven't a relapse for a while now so I guess... I thought it was sorted."

Naruto watched Sasuke carefully as the man spoke. He sounded regretful and the way he refused to look at Naruto showed he felt shame even if he wouldn't admit to it, but most of all there was a deep set anger... at himself.

"I suppose it's good for you to hear this since you're likely going to be in the same position soon."

Naruto looked away, that was not a pleasant thought. Sasuke had been really scary, Naruto was pretty sure if Neji and Hinata hadn't turned up when they did Sasuke would have had a good go at killing him.

*

Sasuke looked up find Naruto staring at the ground. The apprehension was obvious in the boys face.

"Were you scared?" asked Sasuke softly.

Naruto looked up at him in surprise and Sasuke forced himself to hold eye contact.

"Yeah, I was," said Naruto slowly. "You looked like you were going to kill me."

"I probably would have," agreed Sasuke.

He hated feeling this way, knowing what he would have done and feeling guilty for it. He was thankful Neji had turned up in time. Sasuke knew only too well what he was capable of; during the darkest period of his life he had cost several people their lives.

There was a long silence as Sasuke dwelled in memories.

"What does it feel like?" Naruto asked suddenly.

"What?" asked Sasuke startled, he had almost forgotten Naruto was still here.

"What does it feel like to be a demon?"

"I'm not a demon!" snapped Sasuke immediately. "Demons are people who sink so far into their powers that they can't return! I have never sunk that low!"

"No, no I didn't mean that. It's just... what did it feel like to lose control."

"Oh..." Sasuke paused, he wasn't sure if he could trust himself to talk about it. "It's... scary. Well, it's not scary at the time but afterwards it is... When I waver on that line between Hunter and demon I feel... elated. It's hard to explain really, but it's addictive. When I have that much power coursing through me I feel free. Because I have to constantly keep my power under control I'm always fighting it, so it's a relief to let it go."

"You feel free..." Naruto repeated slowly.

Sasuke nodded, "But it's different for everyone so it'll probably be different for you." He hesitated again, unsure of revealing so much to Naruto. "It may be that I associate power with freedom because I'm trapped here."

"Trapped? But you can leave whenever you like! You're always off to the surface to hunt," Naruto looked down, "I'm the one who's trapped," he muttered so low Sasuke wouldn't have heard it if he didn't have the hearing of a Hunter.

"I'm allowed to go hunting only because they know I wouldn't stay like this if I couldn't. If they didn't allow me that small piece of freedom I would most likely lose control and try to fight my way out of here." Naruto's eyes widened at that. "Even when I hunt, the Hyuuga's keep an eye on my magick levels," Sasuke said bitterly.

"Will I be forced to stay here forever too? You said most Hunters live on the surface."

"If you prove to be better at control than me then you may be permitted to live amongst normal people."

Naruto looked down at his hands clasped on the back of the chair. He seemed deep in thought but after a moment he looked up at Sasuke with a determined gaze.

"I'll do it."

Sasuke just stared at him. How could he be so sure? 'Because he hasn't experienced his powers yet, that's how,' he answered himself. But even as he doubted Naruto a small part of Sasuke sparked with hope. He wanted to believe it was possible to control this power. The unflinching confidence in Naruto's eyes was eroding his scepticism.

Sasuke had encouraged Naruto by telling the other that he could fight it. Didn't that make him a huge hypocrit when he didn't really believe that he, himself, could fight it and win? It either made him a hypocrit or a fool for placing his hopes on this boy. Why would Naruto be able to fight it when Sasuke couldn't? Naruto was surely going to fail.

"How can you be so confident?" Sasuke asked, ashamed of the slight tremble in his voice.

Naruto's eyes widened for a moment before he smiled. "Because you said I could do it."

Sasuke stared at him. 'Because I said he could? That's ridiculous!' But even as he threw away Naruto's words Sasuke couldn't help but feel a little bit flattered.

"I only said you could fight," Sasuke reminded him.

Naruto shook his head, "I don't care. I know I can beat it because I'm going to beat you!" Naruto declared standing up and pointing at Sasuke.

Sasuke just stared. What could he say to that? Naruto had just pointed out his weakness. Suddenly Sasuke felt so stupid. 'What have I been doing all these years? Barely hanging onto myself, caught between becoming a real Hunter and slipping into my demonic self? And then this guy comes along!'

Although Sasuke was almost certain that Naruto would be another borderline case, just like him, he hoped Naruto would be different.

"You think you can beat me?"

"Duh! I'm going to beat you and these stupid demon magicks and then I'm going to live up there," Naruto pointed at the ceiling, "With all those normal people and I'm going to kick demon butt every night!"

Sasuke felt the corners of his mouth twitch and resisted the urge to smile. This guy sure was animated, it made him annoying but also likeable and interesting. Sasuke looked into those blue eyes, glinting with determination, and made a decision.

"Come here Naruto."

Naruto cocked his head to the side and walked over. But as soon as Sasuke reached out his hand Naruto jumped back. "No way am I falling for that one again!" he said triumphantly, one hand coming up to rub at his forehead.

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "Baka, I'm not going to shock you." Sasuke couldn't actually use his powers at the moment but he wasn't going to tell Naruto that, he had already shown too much weakness for tonight.

Naruto looked sceptical but stepped forward anyway. Sasuke held out his hand again and this time Naruto took it.

"I'll help you beat it," promised Sasuke his expression deadly serious.

Naruto grinned and shook the Hunters hand. "Heh, I didn't know you could be so nice, teme," said Naruto, pulling away with a slightly wary look on his face.

"Hn. I have my own reasons for doing this, Dobe." 'I have to believe it's possible to beat this!'
End Notes:
Tell me what you thought, ne? It's their own little compromise ;D
Family Issues by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
Okay I just realised I forgot to post several chapters on here (since the main place I post is ff.net) so now I need to update them on here.
Naruto turned over again in his new bed, it wasn't that he wasn't comfortable, his four-poster was definitely comfortable, he just wasn't tired after his earlier nap in Sasuke's room. Sighing, Naruto sat up. Glancing around his new room he shook his head, a small smile on his face. He could no longer kid himself; this was all real. He didn't have to steal food out of the rubbish anymore, or endure the countless attempts of drunks to pick a fight. This place was surely better than anywhere he had lived his entire life... except perhaps the place he had been born.

Naruto had very few memories of those precious few years when he had been part of a family. He had lived with his father in one of the nicer suburbs of Konoha. Naruto closed his eyes, trying to make out the face of his father, it was fuzzy but the resemblance to himself was obvious. Their house had been warm and comfortable, Naruto remembered staring at the picture of his mother on the mantle for hours on end. She had died giving birth to him but his father had made sure to keep plenty of photos of her around the house. Naruto had always thought she looked like one of those mothers that everyone loves, with long bright red hair and dark blue eyes... but perhaps that had only been his imagination trying to conjure up an image he could treasure.

Then one night when Naruto had been 4 years old he had woken up in the middle of the night to find his father gone. He had curled up in his fathers bed to wait for him but in the morning an old man had arrived. He had introduced himself as 'Uncle Jiraiya' and told Naruto he would be living with him from now on in his downtown flat. Jiraiya had been good to him, even if he was a total pervert who always spied on women. Naruto smiled at the memories of a younger him telling his Uncle off. Jiraiya had never been a very good parental unit, there was always strange people turning up demanding money and they had to move several times but at least he'd had a roof over his head.

Until it had happened again, Jiraiya had gone missing in the middle of the night just like his father and this time no one had come to tell Naruto what had happened. So Naruto had tried to keep the flat, whilst working at a local bar. But his pay was bad, his education lacking and after he'd lost his pitiful job there really was nowhere else for him.

Naruto looked around his room again, fingering the covers of his bed, and smiled; he'd been given another chance. He was living in the most interesting place he'd been so far with some dangerous, crazy but essentially nice people. All he had to do was learn to control the magick inside of him and he would be able to live the exciting life of a Hunter. It certainly beat working in some dodgy bar where you had to pretend you didn't see any of the illegal stuff going on.

It's not everyone who gets to observe people levitate objects, lift things three times their weight and throw lightening at will. It was all so crazy! A part of Naruto knew he wouldn't believe he really belonged here until he started doing weird stuff too but he was beginning to trust the Hyuuga's judgement a little more now. Perhaps it was because Sasuke seemed to wholeheartedly believe that Naruto was going to have to face that ominous decision and Naruto found himself more inclined to trust the Uchiha's judgement.

Naruto sighed; maybe if this 'sixth sense' made itself known he'd be prepared to believe that he had blood magick. Sasuke had said that he could learn to listen to it through meditation.

"No time like the present," muttered Naruto.

He climbed out of bed and settled himself in the middle of his bedroom floor on the thick old rug. It would probably be more effective to do this in the arena but Naruto didn't fancy getting lost in the tunnels during the day, when no one was awake to show him the way. Remembering Sasuke's instructions he began to slow his breathing. He could almost hear Sasuke's voice...

"Clear you mind... Do not think... Concentrate only on my voice... And then on letting my voice drift from your consciousness leaving only the sounds of you own body...

"No!"

Naruto frowned. Sasuke's voice had changed; it was no longer in his mind... it felt far away but yet it sounded close.

"No! Aniki please, don't do this! Come back to me!"

Naruto's eyes snapped open. He wasn't imagining it! He could hear Sasuke's voice, panicked and trembling. Naruto looked at his right hand wall; the cries were coming from this direction. Sasuke's words were no longer distinguishable now that Naruto had broken out of his trance. He knew the Uchiha's room was in that direction, down the hall... but there must be nearly 10 metres of solid wall before you even reached the bathroom, he couldn't possibly be hearing Sasuke through that?!

Sasuke suddenly cried out in pain, 'What the hell am I doing?!' thought Naruto frantically. 'I should be helping him!'

He dashed out of the door, ran down the hallway and burst into Sasuke's room in a matter of seconds. Naruto scanned the room quickly for the distressed Sasuke, but the man was lying in bed. He felt an enormous relief hit him as he realised Sasuke was just having a nightmare. It was a violent one though; Sasuke was tossing and turning, muttering to himself and his covers had been thrown to the floor.

"Stop it...! Mpmh... nooo!" Sasuke's cries didn't seem as loud now that Naruto was here with him, when he'd heard him through the wall Naruto had thought Sasuke must have been screaming as though his life depended on it, but he wasn't.

Naruto walked cautiously over to Sasuke's bed. What should he do? Sasuke wouldn't like to be seen like this, that was for sure... But Naruto couldn't just leave him. He bit his lip in decision as Sasuke turned over again, his face screwed up in pain.

Slowly he reached out a hand and gripped Sasuke's shoulder, giving him a good shake.

Sasuke woke up immediately. Naruto jumped back in surprise as he bolted upright, eyes wide and his hand swiftly revealing a tantou (1) from under his pillow.

"Woah, chill out man!" said Naruto, holding his hands up in a gesture that showed he was unarmed. He eyed the tantou that was already halfway out of it's sheath. Sasuke glared at him as he put it away again with a decisive click.

"Why are you in my room again, dobe?" he asked, sounding utterly exasperated.

Naruto felt an annoyed growl rumble in his throat. "Jeez teme! I came in here because I thought you were being bloody attacked! I mean how the hell am I supposed to sleep when you're in here screaming?!"

-0-

Sasuke visibly stiffened. "What did you hear?" he asked, dreading the answer.

"Erm... well... you were doing a lot of shouting, calling out for someone to stop... you called out to your... brother," Naruto shifted awkwardly.

Sasuke inhaled and exhaled slowly. "I don't understand how the hell you heard that," he began, an angry edge to his voice. "I mean what were you doing, meditating or something?"

"Well... yeah," said Naruto lamely.

Sasuke looked at him with something close to shock. "Wow great time for you to start listening to what I say," he said sarcastically.

"Whatever you paranoiac bastard." Sasuke scowled at the comment turning the sheathed tantou over in his fingers. "I thought it was going pretty well actually. That sixth sense will come in handy if you ever actually need to me to rush to your aid."

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "You will never get the chance to play the hero since it will most likely be me who has to save your ass. And anyway it wasn't the sixth sense that alerted you to my apparent 'danger' since the sixth sense would know I was not actually in danger, therefore you still failed at tuning in to it's subtle signals and only succeeded in using your advanced hearing."

"Eeeeh? B-but there is no way I could have heard through that wall!" spluttered Naruto waving wildly in the direction of Sasuke's en suite.

"You couldn't, but a Hunter could if he listened hard enough."

Naruto gaped a little and Sasuke smirked. "Not still doubting you own ability are you?"

Naruto scowled, crossing his arms and looking away, "Not anymore I'm not," he muttered under his breath.

Sasuke smirked again, "You should also know that I can hear you perfectly when you speak like that."

"Whatever bastard, you're avoiding the fact that you obviously have family issues!"

-0-

The change in the smirking Uchiha was instantaneous. Sasuke's face turned to one of such raw fury that Naruto immediately regretted his words. Sasuke flung himself off of the bed and began stalking towards Naruto who started backing away. When he felt his back hit the wall the blond's eyes flicked to the door. The Uchiha was emitting such an menacing aura that Naruto was seriously surprised that he hadn't been hit by lightening yet.

"Family issues?" hissed Sasuke, his demeanour reminiscent of an angry snake. "Oh Naruto you have no idea," he said in that dangerously soft voice, sounding out every syllable.

Naruto frowned; Sasuke was admitting that Naruto had been right? "Tell me then," he said defiantly.

Sasuke let out a low growl and closed the distance between Naruto's neck and his hand effectively pinning Naruto in a stranglehold not two metres from where he had first experienced the Uchiha's physical strength.

But this time Naruto expected it. One hand wrapped around Sasuke's wrist whilst the other balled into a fist and flew straight at Sasuke's unguarded stomach. Naruto heard Sasuke's breath leave him in a rush but had no time to think as the Uchiha's other fist made contact with his jaw. Naruto groaned and fell to his knees only to feel a well aimed kick connect with his side. Sasuke was on him in an instant, straddling him and pinning Naruto to the floor, preparing to land another hit to his face.

Naruto caught his fist just in time, gripping Sasuke's other wrist as it aimed for his stomach. "Dammit Sasuke, your family can't be that bad!" he gritted out, flicking his tongue over the split in his lip.

Sasuke glared at him, panting more from pent up anger than physical exertion. "They're dead," he bit out snatching his wrists away from Naruto and sitting back a little.

Clear blue eyes widened in understanding, "Then... your brother..."

"Dead," Sasuke pushed away from Naruto and moved to sit leaning against the wall, "At my hand," he finished bitterly.

Naruto leant up on his elbows to stare at Sasuke; surely he hadn't heard right? Did Sasuke just admit to murdering his brother?

Sasuke caught him staring and glared as if to say: don't you dare look at me like that!

As Sasuke looked down at his clenched fists Naruto watched his face for any sign that he hadn't meant it. His usually carefully controlled features had taken on an odd expression and Naruto suspected he was lost in memories. He had a feeling Sasuke wouldn't tell him anything until he was good and ready so Naruto made himself comfortable leaning against the wall beside Sasuke.

They sat in silence for a long time, neither looking at the other. Sasuke was absorbed in the past but Naruto was itching to ask about his brother.

"I didn't want to kill him."

Naruto started in surprise; he hadn't really expected Sasuke to break the silence.

"So he was a real brother to you, huh?"

Sasuke 'hmm'ed in agreement and when Naruto looked his way he found the Uchiha resting his head on the wall, his eyes unfocused.

"Then why...?"

*

Sasuke was close to telling Naruto it wasn't any of his business but something stopped him. He knew if he refused to tell Naruto then the boy could ask anyone in the coven and Sasuke knew Neji would be all too happy to share the story of the Uchiha family's downfall. Sasuke didn't want Naruto to hear Neji's version which would surely portray his brother as the hideous bloodthirsty demon that he never was.

"He changed."

Sasuke sighed deeply, it was not something he liked to think about. Itachi had been the one person whom he had really loved and admired. His brother had been one of the strongest Hunters in the Uchiha family and had astounded everyone with his flawless control.

"He met a demon in battle, I think it was the first time anyone had ever bested Itachi. The demon's name was Madara, he had a way of bringing out the worst in people. I had to watch as Itachi's defeat began to eat at him, it shouldn't have done, he would never have let anyone get to him like that. I don't know what exactly that demon's power was but it got Itachi bad. He became obsessed with gaining the power to beat Madara and he eventually lost control. The entire Uchiha family was wiped out during that night."

"But you managed to beat him?" asked Naruto.

Sasuke turned to him to see blue eyes sparkling with admiration. "I was no match for Itachi," he said coldly.

"But... then how-"

"When he fought me he didn't use his full strength," he explained softly, his fingers automatically tracing the outline of the pendant under his shirt. "I think the real Itachi was trying to gain some control over himself."

Sasuke refused to look away from Naruto. In those blue orbs swirled a million different emotions, each laid out for him to observe; understanding, admiration and perhaps even gratitude towards Sasuke for telling his secret. He was surprised to find no pity in Naruto's gaze and he was thankful; they all pitied him and, to a certain extent, feared him. Everyone knew the basics of his story; they had found out via the members of the last remaining Hunter family: the Hyuuga's. Sasuke found that he had to use all his self control not to look away from Naruto, he didn't want to appear weak or ashamed, because he wasn't, but it was hard to keep eye contact with Naruto; it did funny things to his insides.

Eventually Naruto broke their staring contest frowning slightly, "So your whole family had magick inside them?"

"Yeah, the Uchiha clan was the strongest Hunter family in Konoha," said Sasuke proudly. "Why?"

Naruto looked thoughtful, "So does that mean my parents were Hunters too?"

"Not necessarily. Magick used to reside only within strict family boundaries resulting in strong clans of Hunters or demons but they slowly began to diminish, constantly killing each other probably didn't help. So the old families split up, marrying normal people and concealing their powers from their spouses, meaning their children may or may not possess blood magick. With the downfall of such families as the Namikaze clan and most recently the Uchiha clan there is only one old family left."

"Who's that?"

"The Hyuuga's."

"Wait a minute... did you say Namikaze?" Naruto said suddenly turning to Sasuke, understanding dawning all over his face.

"Yeah, why?"

"It can't be... otou-san..." he said slowly, staring into the distance.

"Your father?"

"Mmmm... I think his last name was Namikaze."

"What?!" Sasuke sat up a little straighter. "But you said your name was Uzumaki."

"Yeah, but that was my mother's name. Dad called me after her in memory of her death..."

Sasuke suddenly sprang to his feet, "Follow me."

*

"What?" Naruto watched as Sasuke threw his coat on and walked briskly out of the door. "Hey, teme! Wait up!"

Sasuke sped through the labyrinth with Naruto hot on his heals. The Uchiha refused to say where they were going no matter how many times Naruto asked him. Naruto thought he recognised where they were going by the faint feeling of déjà vu but that might have been his imagination.

When Sasuke stopped abruptly outside a seemingly random door Naruto nearly crashed into him. Sasuke scowled and put his finger to his lips urging Naruto to be quiet. Naruto watched with amusement as Sasuke pulled several lock picks from a hidden pocket in the sleeve of his coat.

"Hehe prepared for everything aren't you?" muttered Naruto.

Sasuke replied with a glare and a swift gesture to 'shut the hell up'. Then he pushed the door open and sidled into a room full of the flickering light of pale flames. Naruto recognised the place immediately, it was Tsunade's office. There were doors leading out on either side of the room. Sasuke gave the right hand one a wary look before heading left. Naruto followed him into a dark lounge area as silently as he could; it was quite obvious they weren't allowed in here.

As Sasuke closed the door trying not to let it click, Naruto looked around. None of the braziers were lit but the light filtering under the door was enough. The room looked as though it was used for meetings with two sofas positioned either side of a low table. Sasuke walked around him to the far wall and beckoned him over. The wall was adorned with a long line of portraits and photos going from old to new.

Sasuke pointed at one of the more recent photos, "Is this your father?"

Naruto looked at it, once again failing to notice how he didn't need light to see every detail of the mans face. The man looked just like an older version of Naruto, with slightly longer hair and more slanted eyes. His eyes were of the same bright blue as Naruto's and his skin was tanned though it lacked the distinctive whisker scars. The name plaque below the picture read: Namikaze Minato.

"I don't fucking believe it," said Naruto, scanning every detail of the image that was so like his own. "He was a Hunter!" he exclaimed.

"Shhh keep your voice down! Yes he was a Hunter-"

"And coven leader for a short while too."

Both of them jumped and spun quickly. In the doorway stood Tsunade with her hands on her hips and a stern expression on her face.

But Naruto didn't seem to register her annoyance, "He was coven leader?! But what do you mean 'for a short while'?"

"You should remember the night when he didn't come home," she said tiredly, taking a seat on the sofa facing them.

"He died."

"He was killed by a demon," she corrected. "And then, at Minato's request, my old friend, Jiraiya, took you in."

"You knew about all this, all the time I was with Jiraiya oji-san you knew I had magick in me?!" Naruto burst out.

"No. When you walked in here I didn't know who you were, though you bear a striking resemblance to your father I couldn't be certain. Sit," she ordered, directing him to the opposite sofa. "Minato gave you your mother's name to prevent demons tracking you down by his name. There was no way of knowing whether you had inherited his blood magick until it began to manifest and, as you know, neither of your guardians lived long enough to see that happen. Jiraiya never told me anything about you: your name, what you looked like, nothing. I believe that was also Minato's wish."

"Why? Why did he want to hide me from everyone?" asked Naruto.

"It's not that he wanted to hide you but that he wanted to hide this world from you. You would certainly have had a more peaceful life away from the coven; our world is not an easy one to survive in."

Naruto nodded slowly, he thought he understood though he would still need time to get used to the idea of being the last Namikaze Hunter.

"So you knew my father?" he asked Tsunade eagerly.

She sighed wearily, "Yes and I absolutely refuse to tell you about him at this time of the day. It's nearly the evening and I don't know what the hell you two are doing up but I'm tired so you had better get your asses back to bed this instance or I'll do something that would make your father very unhappy!"

"But-" began Naruto before Sasuke grabbed the collar of his t-shirt and dragged him out of the door.

"Are you going to start calling yourself Namikaze now?" asked Sasuke quietly as they walked back through the tunnels.

"Nah, I think I'm more of an Uzumaki," proclaimed Naruto, slapping a hand to his chest proudly.

As they rounded another corner Naruto thought he saw something out of the corner of his eye that made his step falter. For a second there he thought he had seen a genuine smile pull at the corners of Sasuke's mouth but then it was gone. 'I probably imagined it.'
In Preparation by suzieuchiha
Author's Notes:
Next one.
He was breathing in... and he was breathing out. He was trying to locate this sixth sense but it just wasn't happening! Naruto let out a frustrated puff of air. He couldn't hear any little voice in the back of his mind all he could hear was a loud voice in the forefront of his mind telling him that the bastard Uchiha was having him on.

"Do you really find it that hard to listen to yourself?"

Naruto's eyes snapped open to find Sasuke watching him. They were sitting opposite each other in the arena. Naruto was supposed to be tuning into his sixth sense but they had been meditating for hours and all he could think of was how his left butt cheek had fallen asleep.

Naruto let out a low growl and jumped up, trying to shake some life into his ass.

Sasuke watched him jiggle around, "What the hell are you doing?"

"My ass cheek has gone to sleep!"

Sasuke looked away with a muttered, "Oh..."

"Look, Sas, this meditation stuff just ain't working, isn't there some other way?"

"No. And don't call me that."

"You sure?"

"Yes I'm sure!"

"But-"

"No!"

Naruto scowled at the bastard, throwing himself back down on the ground, "I probably only have five senses."

"You have a sixth, just like us. You've already been using it."

"I have?"

"Yeah, you didn't get lost on your way here, did you?"

"Yeah, but I think that's just luck. I mean everytime I get to a point where I'm not sure I just take a guess."

"Exactly!"

Naruto gave him a sceptical look, "You make no sense."

"It makes perfect sense, dobe! I told you before that the sixth sense is sometimes referred to as the undefined sense and this is exactly why. You may put it down to luck but the sixth sense is what makes you guess correctly. Some people without magick can possess the sixth sense to a certain degree but it will only ever be something like someone who can actually use methods of divination to learn things about people or a Policeman who is unusually acurate with his firearm-"

"That's not some sixth sense that's just being a good shot!"

"How about when people know someone's following them?"

"The person's obviously not very stealthy!"

"And when you turn around and look at the exact spot they were?"

"Then you heard them!"

"A human's hearing it not that accurate. Just stop questioning me for a moment and believe me when I say that all of that is just part of the sixth sense. It's not some little voice in the back of your head, it's instinct, chance and luck!"

"Huh... so I'm already using my sixth sense?"

-0-

"Yes!" exclaimed Sasuke, glad Naruto was finally seeing things his way.

"So that means... there's no point in all this meditation crap-"

"The point of the meditation is for you to learn how to put your mind in a state where the signals come through loud and clear for when you're fighting."

"But you said I was already hearing the signals so you can just teach me to fight with a sword already!"

"Wait, what?" he stared at the blond who nodded eagerly before Sasuke let his gaze fall to his sword which lay in it's sheath by his side. "I never said I'd teach you sword fighting."

"Then how am I supposed to kill demons?"

"You're not going to be killing demons for a long time."

"What?! Why?!" cried Naruto impatiently.

"There's a lot to do before you can officially join the Hunt. First we've got to wait for your power to emerge, then you'll need to learn to control it and then how to use it. Only after that will you be able to start fighting with it and then you'll need extensive weapons training. And you'll only be permitted to fight alongside a hunt member after your initiation. It's not something that can be acomplished overnight."

Naruto looked totally appalled and Sasuke had to admit he felt a little sorry for him. At least he hadn't been stuck underground during his training process; he had been trained at their family estate just outside the city, by his brother and father. But after the massacre it had been decided that Sasuke would not be allowed to stay there for his own safety and due to his unstable condition. Sasuke expected that by now the Uchiha estate was either the home of bums or populated by demons.

"When will I be able to go to the surface again?"

"It depend's how quickly you pick up basic fighting, since your magick has surfaced you can guarantee demons and parasites will be drawn to you just like that vampire was."

"I'm a fast learner."

"I'm sure you are, but you definitly won't be allowed to visit the surface until you gain a firm control over your own power."

"How will I do that?"

"Meditation-"

"Not more!" burst Naruto.

"-will help," finished Sasuke. "But it will be mostly a test of willpower."

"Willpower... I can do that!"

Sasuke nodded, he had no doubt that Naruto could. Naruto had been underground for nearly a week now and he was getting on fairly well. He hadn't gotten lost in the last few days and had taken Sasuke's lesson's with as much patience as he could muster.

Sasuke glanced at his watch, it was nearly 1 O'clock. "Let's go for lunch."

Naruto gave him a shocked look, "You're actually initiating a break in your grueling regime of meditation and push-ups?"

Sasuke gave him a scathing glare and hit him over the head with the sheath of his sword as he passed, "I can hear your stomach rumbling, dobe."

It was true that Sasuke had been working him hard. Though the excercises were actually an attempt to wear the energetic boy out enough that he would concentrate on meditation they had, for the most part, failed. Naruto seemed to have an endless supply of energy and Sasuke found him almost as annoying as Lee, though at least Naruto didn't feel the need to set himself constant challenges of strength!

As soon as they entered the kitchen area Naruto headed for the cupboards where Hinata had put away his requested ramen. Sasuke shook his head slightly, Naruto had looked like he was going to melt when the shy girl had asked if he wanted any particular food.

"Sasuke-kun, do you want donburi?(1)" called Sakura from the kitchen.

"Please," he replied as Naruto brought his ramen over to sit next to Sasuke.

"You actually say 'please'?"

"It's polite," Sasuke said snidely.

"Yeah, but you're not."

"I'd be polite to you if you offered to cook me lunch."

"Ha! You wish!"

"No I don't, since I'd probably end up with that crap," said Sasuke, turning his nose up at Naruto's cup ramen.

Naruto gasped, clutching his ramen to his chest protectively, "It's not crap!" he said sounding scandalised.

"Hn, it's also not nutritious. Thanks, Sakura," he added as a bowl was placed in front of him.

"Ha, whatever! I don't need nutrients since, as you can tell, I'm a strong, well developed young man!" Naruto replied looking very pleased with himself.

Sasuke choked a bit on his rice as Naruto puffed out his chest. He wanted to come back with a clever insult that would prove the idiot wrong but a voice in his head was agreeing that Naruto definitly looked perfectly healthy. Naruto had demonstrated his physical fitness every time Sasuke attempted to tire him out and several of those excercise periods had involved Naruto getting too hot and removing his shirt; not only was he physically fit but he had nothing to be ashamed of. Sasuke concentrated hard on his food trying to think of something to say. But he was saved the trouble as a loud shout echoed from the doorway.

"PAAAAARTAY!"

Naruto started coughing as he had nearly inhaled his noodles. Lee was immediatly at his side giving him a hard pat on the back and saving Sasuke from watching Naruto's 'death by noodles'.

-0-

When Naruto emerged from his coughing fit he saw the source of the boistrous voice. A young man with messy brown hair and red, triangle tattoo's on his cheeks was standing in the doorway as Hinata hurried over.

"K-Kiba-kun! You're very early, the p-party's not until later."

"I know that, I'm just here to help set up. So when does the birthday boy get here?"

"As if you don't know, you're just here to harrass Hinata whilst Neji's not around to threaten you with castration!" scolded Ino.

"Ah young love!" cheered Lee.

"Ino-chan!" cried Hinata.

"Shut it, bitch!" growled Kiba.

"Bite me, werewolf!" Ino shouted in return.

Kiba gave a shout that sounded more like the roar of an animal than anything and charged at her. All around the room people jumped to their feet, except Sasuke who was still eating his donburi. But before anyone could move towards the pair a pink-headed blur had fixed herself firmly between the two.

Sakura had her hand at Kiba's throat, "You won't touch her," she said, the threat evident in her voice.

Hinata had moved to Kiba's side. She lay a gently hand on his and pulled him away as Sakura let go. As Hinata led Kiba over to the dining table Sakura turned to her girlfriend.

"That was uncalled for," she said, her voice softening at the sight of the other.

"Whatever," muttered Ino, pushing past her girlfriend and storming from the room.

Sakura gave a heavy sigh before running after her.

"Will they be okay?" asked Naruto as Hinata and Kiba joined them.

"They will be fine, they are always fighting like this," said Lee, returning to his seat.

"But m-more frequently recently," Hinata bit her lip.

"They will be fine," repeated Lee. "They will sort it out, you will see!" he gave a broad grin and a thumbs up that made Sasuke roll his eyes.

"So Neji's out, huh?" asked Kiba, casually.

"Shikamaru said that he would k-keep him b-busy."

Kiba's face split into a lechurous grin, "Oh I bet he will."

Hinata blushed and quickly changed the subject, "Where's Shino-kun?"

"Ah, he's not coming. He said to apoligise but he got roped into the early shift. He's a bit pissed really since we were out hunting earlier and now he's got to spend the early hours patrolling some sleepy warehouse with those dum guard dogs. They really are stupid, I mean the security company paid an arm and a leg for these trained guard dogs and they're not half as smart as Akamaru!"

"Akamaru?" asked Naruto.

"Yeah my dog. He's the best, he was only a stray but he's really clever, I mean he must be since he found me and immediatly knew I'm the best pet owner there ever was. Only he doesn't like it underground so I had to leave him at the apartment."

"You live in the city?"

"Sure do. Me and Shino rent a place down by the docks. But anyway you must be Naruto, Hinata mentioned you last night when we were hunting." He extended a friendly hand and Naruto shook it.

"So... you're a werewolf?" he asked curiously.

"No goddamnit I'm not!" shouted Kiba jumping to his feet.

"But Ino..."

"Ino is wrong!" Hinata spoke up in a firm voice that sounded odd coming from her, a second later she blushed and look down at her hands.

Kiba sat back down looking at her fondly. "I was bitten by one though, a werewolf," he said turning to Naruto. "I was only ten when it happened. My big sis was supposed to be looking after me but she was on the phone and I heard something in the backgarden and went to investigate. My ma had a look at the bite when she got home and she looked completely alarmed when I said I got bitten by a wolf-man. She told me it was probably just a dog but afterwards we kept having strange people call around and they all wanted to have a look at me. It was a bit scary to be honest, they always asked me if I felt any different during the full moon or wanted to see my teeth. I kept expecting to change into some monster like I'd seen him do but it didn't happen.

"Then when I was thirteen my powers started to appear. Only then did we realise that the bite hadn't been completely ineffective and my mum was forced to come clean about being a Hunter. I'm not a werewolf but I can transform almost completely into one, with all the benefits of heat sensing vision, extra balance, speed and strength. What sets me apart from those parasites is that I don't feel the need to transform every moon and kill as many people as I can, I have no such blood lust."

"Wow, that's pretty cool," said Naruto honestly.

"It's cool but I challenge you to find a werewolf that's 'pretty'. At the end of the day I'm a half-bred and some people just won't except that," Kiba gave a heavy sigh.

"Like Ino?"

"And m-my cousin," added Hinata.

"Neji really doesn't like you, eh?"

"Nope," Kiba's face suddenly split into a grin. "But since when have I let that stop me, eh Hina-chan?" Hinata blushed profusly as he hooked an arm around her waist. "Anyway I'm here to help set up for that asshole's party, not everyday you turn 20 and I'd just love to see him get pissed!(2) So what can I do to help?"

"There is not much left to do actually," said Lee brightly. "Hinata just finished the cake and I am going to decorate the lounge in five minutes!"

"Well I can help with that then."

"No, it is my personal challenge to hang all the streamers and the banners that Sai made in five minutes flat! If I cannot do this I swear I will run a circuit from downtown, to the suburbs and then back via the docks!" Lee declared, standing on his chair and putting one foot on the table in a determined stance.

Naruto turned to Sasuke to ask if he was serious but the Uchiha answered before he could speak, "He will do it," Sasuke said looking completely exapperated.

"That's a long way," muttered Naruto; a triangular circuit like that would cover over half of the city, and Konoha wasn't small!

"Good luck with that mate," said Kiba with a wolfish grin. "So... if we aren't needed here fancy a trip to the surface?" he asked Hinata.

"O-okay, give me a minute to get ready."

"Meet you in the lounge, I want to see Lee's decorating record attempt."

Hinata left and when Kiba got up Naruto decided to follow him.

"We should get back to training, I have an idea that might help you concentrate," said Sasuke, effectively stopping his escape.

"But I want to watch Lee!" moaned Naruto.

"Training is more important!"

"He said it'd only take five minutes," he protested. Then Naruto had an idea, "I think it would be best for me to see as many people using their powers as possible because it might help me with my training," he lied.

Sasuke narrowed his eyes, "I don't see how watching Lee bounce around will help you."

"It will!" insisted Naruto as he pleaded with his eyes.

Sasuke huffed, crossing his arms, "Fine!" he grunted. "Five minutes and then we train."

Naruto grinned and ran back to the lounge with Sasuke in tow. Lee was standing in the middle of the club lounge with several boxes of white streamers, a number of banners reading 'Neji no Tanjobi Omedeto(3), paper lanterns, balloons and for some reason a box of masks.

"I will now complete my mission!" he shouted happily.

Sasuke rolled his eyes and threw himself into an armchair as Lee hit the timer on his watch. Naruto didn't understand where Lee had gone at first until he looked around to find a banner behind him that hadn't been there a second ago. He caught a green blur fly past as Lee attached a balloon to the helium and hung several streamers before returning to tie the balloon and attach another. After four minutes Lee hit his watch again and gave a loud cheer.

"Gai-sensei will be so proud! I must tell him!"

Naruto saw a green blur disappear through the door to the staircase and he was gone.

"Wow!" said Naruto throwing himself into a chair beside Sasuke. "He really is fast."

"Do you feel as though you learnt anything?" asked Sasuke scathingly.

"Might have if I could actually see him," replied Naruto. "Who's Gai-sensei?"

"His mental mentor, he's even worse than Lee," said Sasuke leaning back into the chair with a expression of long suffering.

When Hinata returned she was no longer wearing her cloak but a thick coat. She was still wearing her long gypsy skirt but she looked a lot more normal now. Then Naruto realised what she was carrying.

"You're not blind, are you?" he asked, nodding at her cane.

Hinata blushed, "Er no, b-but Neji and I p-pretend to be since we c-can't hide our eyes very well."

"That and being blind means she's allowed to carry a weapon," added Kiba. "Nobody suspects a poor blind girl."

"A weapon?! Seriously?" asked Naruto looking her over for a katana or dagger.

The Hyuuga girl nodded. Tossing the white wooden cane in the air she caught the middle and rotated it around her wrist before catching it in both hands and holding it in a fighting stance. Naruto's eyes widened in understanding; it wasn't a walking cane at all it was a bo staff!(4) As Hinata let it slide back into an relaxed grip Naruto noticed that at both ends of the staff there was about 20cm of a silver metal and he was sure he saw something glint in the top end before she covered it with her hand.

As soon as Kiba and Hinata left Sasuke ordered him back to the arena. But the Uchiha didn't come with him, instead taking another tunnel and telling Naruto to meditate while he waited. Naruto thought the strict boy was being hypocrytical when he'd been in such a rush to train but settled in the middle of the room to meditate anyway. 'I am such a good student,' he congratulated himself.
End Notes:
(1) Donburi is a dish consisting of boiled rice and some sort of savoury topping.
(2) The drinking age in Japan is 20.
(3) Basically 'Happy Birthday Neji'.
(4) A long staff made of tapered hard wood, bojutsu originated from the Chinese monks and reached Okinawa via trade, the monks tend to use more flexible bo's but Hinata's bo is a rigid maru-bo (round staff) which is more common in Japan. I find their martial arts fancinating ^^
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=8509