The Life and Times of Team Gai...Oh, and Everyone Else, Too... by Peach Tea Rose
Summary: Gai-sensei fanfic about his students, his family and his par-nins (See Chapter 01)...oh, and everyone else, Too...
Categories: Characters: Kakashi Hatake, Neji Hyuuga, Maito Gai, Rock Lee, Tenten, Naruto Uzumaki
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Poetry, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 11323 Read: 18268 Published: 30/10/06 Updated: 23/07/07

1. Nonaka Yume by Peach Tea Rose

2. Home Is Where the Heart Is by Peach Tea Rose

3. A Lovely Night by Peach Tea Rose

4. The Class (Part 01) by Peach Tea Rose

5. The Class (Part 02) by Peach Tea Rose

6. Meetings (Part 01) by Peach Tea Rose

7. Meetings (Part 02) by Peach Tea Rose

8. Might Tuy by Peach Tea Rose

9. The Spandex Crusade by Peach Tea Rose

10. Facing Fear by Peach Tea Rose

11. Mutual Connection (Part 1) by Peach Tea Rose

12. Mutual Connection (Part 2) by Peach Tea Rose

13. The Legend of the Masho (Part 01) by Peach Tea Rose

14. The Legend of the Masho (Part 02) by Peach Tea Rose

Nonaka Yume by Peach Tea Rose
Author's Notes:
The song featured is "Sharada" by Skye Sweetnam.

Chapter 01

Once upon a time there was a girl
You wouldn't really call her typical
Had her own definition of cool
She lived in her own world

The teenagers at Dancing Leaf High were so American. It was the only non-uniform school in Konoha. All the girls with their plaid skirts and fancy white pullovers were chatting away, using such terms as: "As if" or "Omigod, that's, like, so f-d up!" It was the dawning of a new age, which meant that the fashions were changing, too. It was 1998, and in a year and a half, Y2K would be here.

A bunch of kids clustered in their freshman english class were talking away as always.

"Did you hear," said a small blonde, "They've established a new class for kids who wanna learn more about ninja."

"Oh yeah," said her raven haired friend, "The par-nin classes. What do you think they teach there?"

What she was referring to was the new class called Shinobi Studies 101. The participants were called Part-Time ninja, or Par-nins for short.

"Ask Yume," said the blonde, motioning to a skinny, pale girl in the back room.

She had her own style her own rules
She played along like it was usual
Nobody really even knew her name
To her life was one big game

The girl, Nonaka Yume (Yume means "Dream"), sat slouched over desk. Her short, brunette hair, streaked with bright red chunks, was held back by a purple headband. Her large-collared shirt was an equal shade of purple. She also wore baggy, khahi shorts, black fingerless gloves, striped purple and black socks and jet black combat boots. She scribbled the remainder of her long journal entry and then drummed her pencil on her desk to the music playing on her , her coal colored eyes fixed in an upward gaze.

"She totally looks like she belongs in the ninja academy," said the raven-haired girl, twiling a bit of hair in her fingers, "She, like, dresses like a ninja."

"Does she even hear us," said the blonde, "She's got her head up in the clouds...all...the...time!"

She's got her head up in the clouds
Sharada, Sharada
Don't know when she'll come down
Sharada, Sharada
She can't get to bed
Sharada, Sharada
She's got this song stuck in her head
(her head, her head, song stuck in her head)

Yume didn't care. She just played along with her own drum as best she could. Everyone whispered that she was so different. She dressed like a ninja. She was always in her own world. Though, they had to give it to her...she was a great writer. She loved to write passages in her book...sometimes they were poems and songs.

Dreaming all day
That's all she did
Ever since she was a little kid
All the teacher's thought that she was slow
She was just dreaming about her show

Yume came from an odd-duckling family. They were outspoken and brave in their conviction. On top of all that, her uncle was none other than the self-proclaimed "Green Beast of Konoha" Maito Gai. She had formed a bond with him over the years and it stuck. Even at 14 years old, she was dependent on him...but she was finding her own voice. After all, she was outspoken. It was actually because of him that she was able to find her voice. Gai was a pretty confident, although flamboyant, guy when it came down to it. She watched him all her life and obtained the courage from his actions.

And when they told her she's delirious
She didn't care
She's just oblivious
She likes to make everyone curious
One day she's gonna be famous

Yume went through her day trying to be optimistic, but she heard them whisper about her. What did they know? They gossiped and chattered and swore (boy, if she had yen for every time she heard one, she would be very rich indeed) and created misconceptions simply because they didn't want to take the time in their busy lives to take the time to get to know the 'individuals' and 'outcasts.' What did that even mean? Individual, maybe, but outcast?! Nobody is an outcast in her eyes. Nobody!

She got her head up in the clouds
Sharada, Sharada
Don't know when she'll come down
Sharada, Sharada
She can't get to bed
Sharada, Sharada
She's got this song stuck in her head
(her head, her head, she's got this song stuck in her head)

Well, at least she had her Par-nin classes to look forward to. She didn't know who the jonin instructor was yet, but she was absolutely hyped. She didn't know who her teacher was, but she was excited to find out.

Everything about Yume was ninja. She kept keepsakes: Kunai, skurinken, scrolls, pics of famous ninja...and since her uncle was a jonin, she thought...what the heck? Why couldn't she be one. Her parents, however, mainstreamed her, but she was addled, as her teachers put it. She wasn't...she was just dreaming about being a ninja, which she couldn't do. Then, when these Shinobi Studies classes popped up, she was surprised her mom allowed her. She was so protective of Yume. But, she knew Yume was passionate about, so they allowed her to take the class...she was so happy she could burst...

She got her head up in the clouds
Sharada, Sharada
Don't know when she'll come down
Sharada, Sharada
She can't get to bed
Sharada, Sharada
She's got this song stuck in her head
(her head, her head, her head, her head, her head, her head)

Hopefully, someday, people would look at Yume differently, not as an odd duckling, but someone who had a passion for doing something, as we all did...

Home Is Where the Heart Is by Peach Tea Rose
Author's Notes:
1.Tora is based off of Kronk of The Empreor's New Groove

2.Lee and his family are featured in my fanfic, "Twin Peaks," Featured on Fanfiction.net and here on TONFA.

3.Tenten's family life is based off of various episodes of Pokemon.

Chapter 02

We will take time to look at Gai and his students' families in introspective.


Gai had his hands full, being he was the third born of four siblings. He had two older sisters and one older brother:

Keiko, his oldest sister, was an english teacher at Konoha High. She was a patient woman, even though she had to deal with freshman every day. She mothered Gai's niece and nephew. 16 year old Junior Setsuna, an athletic young man on Dancing Leaf High's wrestling team, and 13 year old Freshman Yume, one of his par-nins, who was outspoken and rebellious (although Gai would tell her she was trying too hard), but had a heart of gold and was brave in adversary.

Cibo, his second older Sister, was a prodigy. She was the manager of a cosmetics company and was an elegant woman, who sometimes came across as snobby, but she meant well and always knew what to say in a dire situation, just like Gai, even though there tended to be friction between them.

Tora, his younger brother, was whom Gai was devoted to, especially in their youth. When they were very young, Tora woke up crying in the middle of the night. Gai came in and asked him what was wrong. Tora wet his PJs. Gai took Tora to the bathroom and got him cleaned up. He then assured the tiny, 4-year-old everything would be alright and he would be there to protect him. He then rocked Tora to sleep...and he slept like a baby. Anywho, Tora had been cooking for a long time. He would always help his mom in the kitchen and quickly got the hang of it. Then, he opened his own restaurant, Fuji Blossom Diner. The food was so terrific, the restaurant had been given a five-star rating by Konoha Times.


(A/N: Read my Fanfic, Twin Peaks, to learn more about Lee's family.)

Rock Lee had a small, broken family, but it was a family. His father died of cancer when he was but a small child and he only had his brother and mother to look up to...as well as a little sister to mentor.

His mother was a gentle, soft spoken math teacher, who was confined to a wheelchair after a disease took her ability to walk. She wanted to have a professional acting carrer, but she figured it could wait. She had two boys and a girl to take care of.

Jin was Lee's older brother. He was a freshman at Konoha High. He had Lee's eyes, but they were more of an oval shape, while Lee's were more circular. He was a tall gangly boy for 15. He had shoulder length hair he always kept in a pulled back ponytail. he didn't want to be considered effeminate, but it was impossible because he had been teased. He, unlike determined, ongoing, energetic Lee, was skeptical, shy and usually burnt out, sprawled on his bed at the end of the day while Lee was out in the backyard until waaaay after dark, doing either leg crunches or pushups. Like Lee, he was easily offended and whenever someone said something against his brother, he would bite their head off, as Lee would when they said something against Gai.

Mei was the baby of the family, but was tough and could take care of herself. She looked up to Lee like the brother he is and he acts as her mentor.

The family was little, but they got by and by.


Neji Hyuuga lead a broken life. he lived with a recently sobered-up sister, Kaoru, who, under irresponsible behavior, wound up pregnant. She decided to keep the child.

After Neji got home from training, They would sit of the porch with Kaoru, who took medicine to rid her of her alcolohic addiction, and listen to the quiet...and try to forget everything the past had done to them, which usually resulted in Neji crying like a baby, which most people never saw, and Kaoru soothing him.

Kaoru, in the past, had some drinking problems, but nothing serious. She ended it when she learned she was pregnant. When Neji learned, he was mad and his sister. Anywho, Kaoru, confronted by a furious Neji, wasn't mad...and when Neji heard her confession, he quietly cried silent tears. Kaoru gently embraced him and all was well there.


Tenten had a less dramatic life, but her hands were full. She was the second of 7 children, 4 girls (Including herself) and 3 boys.

Her older sister, Chan, was frustrated because she wanted to have a singing career, but her father wanted her and Tenten to take over the dojo their parents owned. There was lots of friction and Tenten was aggrivated by her younger siblings' plea and her older sibling's frustration. Tenten usually took her out to walk and they'd open up to one another and got along very well.


Team Gai had struggled, but they had each other and their families to support them.

A Lovely Night by Peach Tea Rose
Author's Notes:
OCD is an anxiety disorder in which one is extremely precise about things, like measurments and alignment. This is associated with perfectionism.

Chapter 03

Gai's Home Life

Mrs. Keiko Maito was a woman in her late 50's who frequently wore kimonos and her black and graying hair in a braid. She had a deep voice and was really short for a woman, but she was an angel to her neighbors and her children...her one daughter and three sons. Her two youngest lived with her.

One night, Keiko was preparing dinner when Tora walked in.

"Hi, mom," said her youngest, a 22 year old.

"Hi sweety," she said back as Tora leaned over for a kiss on the cheek, "What did you-"

Her question was interrupted when her second youngest, Gai, bounced in, his ankle swollen.

"Gai, sweetheart," said Keiko, "What happened? You look horrible..."

"Trust me, mom," Gai said, "It's not a big deal..."

"Well, you have to tell me," said Keiko, "How else will I be able to take care of your ankle?"

"Okay," said Gai, sitting, "The kids were training when we hit a bump in the road...a rock. It was about hay high and really edgy. At first it wasn't a big deal, but when training was to be let out, I ran over to tell everyone to go home and..."

"You tripped over the rock..."

"In front of my pupils," Gai said, ashamed, "I have never been so embarrased..."

"Oh, honey," said Keiko, "I've got some ointment that will take care of that ankle. You stay right there."

As Keiko got the ointment and Tora got dinner started, Gai looked at the picture of him and his family when he was promoted to chunin. The picture included his dad, which was next to his dad's ashes.

"You will be so proud, dad," Gai said softly, "These genin are so...so talented...this one named Rock Lee has really captivated me. He is a doer, does what he's told...by me, I mean, open-hearted, determined...remind you of someone, pops?"


Lee's Home Life

Rock Jin collapsed on his bed. His homework was done, he had eaten a hearty meal and he was burned out. He didn't understand it. He adjusted his oval glasses and watched Lee do more and more pushups. Why did he go on for so long? Then, he came in and Jin ran downstairs to give Lee a piece of his mind. After all, he was about 25 months older than Lee.

What he also didn't understand was how the bed couldn't be straight after he made it several times. He made it over because of the fact it was not straight. He liked everything...and I mean everything...straight and perfect. The root cause of this was OCD, or Obsessive Cumpulsive Disorder. He was always measuring and trying to make things perfect. One time, he threw away a perfectly good sugar cookie his aunt had baked him because he said it was too lumpy. Lee snatched it out of his hand and gave it to Gai the next day.

"You didn't have to, Lee," said Gai.

"Well," Lee said, "Jin didn't want it. He said it was too lumpy."

Gai burst into laughter.

"What is it, sensei," Lee asked.

"It's perfectly fine," Gai said, biting into it, "And it tastes good, too...Your aunt deserves a tip for this!"


When Lee came into the house, his mom greeted him.

"Lee," she said, "I have been cooking for God knows how long...where were you..."

Lee tried to walk, but fell.

"Mo...ther...you...you...do...don't...un...der...under...stand..."

"LEE! What are you trying to do?! Kill yourself?! You're always training like that...Someone'd think you were nuts-"

"Lay off, diptard," snapped a young lady with long, jet black hair in a long braid down her back. This was Mei, the youngest child in Lee's family, "DO you know the long hours this kid puts in?!"

"Young Lady," said their Mother, Shiori, "Must I remind you of the language we do not use in this house? And Jin, be patient with Lee. He's doing this because of hard work...Lee, I'll put your plate in the microwave."

"No...thank you...mother..."

Lee tried to get up, but he was too tired. Jin carried him to his bed, rocked him and sang softly to him, coaxing him to sleep. Jin laid Lee in his bed and kissed his forehead.

"I love you, Lee," he said softly.


Neji's Home life

Neji walked in the door way of his home. Kaoru was asleep. He moved to Kaoru, brushed her chestnut brown hair out of her face and felt her forehead. It was burning. Then, her white, Hyuuga eyes opened up weakly and blinked.

"N-Nej-ji..."

"Shhhh...Hush now...sleep, sister..."

Kaoru turned on her back and grimaced.

"My body aches so much," she moaned quietly.

Neji gently rubbed her stomach.

"Influenza," he murmured, diagnosing the problem, "Have you taken medicine."

She moaned painfully. Neji rose and went to get some cold water, ice cubes from the kitchen. He worked quickly and wiped his sister's forehead. He soothed her to sleep and tucked her in. Then, he collapsed in his bed, which was next to Kaoru's. He instantly fell asleep.


Tenten's home life

Tenten came into a house of hollering siblings, who cried,

"TENTEN! LOOK, TENTEN'S HOME!!"

Tenten put on a happy face and greeted her little sibs at the door. She then headed into her sister, Chan's room. Chan was a gorgeous young lady of 17, with shoulder blade length, brown hair and a graceful figure. She was doing homework.

"Tenten," she said.

"Hey," Tenten greeted happily, "What's up? Dad still giving you trouble?"

"I dunno," she shrugged, "It's like he's either backing off or getting on my nerves. I don't understand it...so, how's training going, miss perfect aim?"

"Great," she said, "In fact, Gai told me he's in utter shock that a ninja would never miss..."

"Heh," Chan smiled, "Great Job..."

Tenten could see her sister's eyes were brimming with tears. She gave her a big hug, gently rubbing her back, and Chan cried.

"I'm so frustrated," Chen sobbed, "It's like Daddy doesn't care..."

"He does care," Tenten murmured, "He's just frustrated...but deep down, he has a heart of gold...he just doesn't show it often."

Chan smiled.

"I love you so much," she said.

"I love you, too," Tenten smiled.

"Tenten, Chan-san," said Chim-Chim, their 8-year-old sister, "Dinner's ready."

Tenten and Chan came down, Tenten squeezing Chan's hand for support between sisters.

The Class (Part 01) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 04

August 1998

Gai looked at the confrence hall. He was going to teach here?! It was plenty of space...and he was happy with how his genin reacted...that is, how Rock Lee reacted...


"It's like this," he said to his genin that Tuesday, "I've been chosen to teach a class of Par-nins."

'Oh, Sensei," Lee exclaimed, "An honor, I am positive!!! Congratulations..."


Gai smiled. Lee was always encouraging and definitely won his affection. Then, a girl with dark, waist length hair in a long braid, wearing a striped shirt with a red Freshman plate, black mini-skirt, black stockings and black, thick heeled boots ran in and leapt onto Gai, papers flying out of her knapsack.

"Uncle Gai!!!"

"Hey, Kiddo," Gai smiled, "Now, could you get off my sorry bones..."

"Oh...sorry," she said as Gai assisted her to picking up her papers.

Yume Nonaka couldn't be happier...she had a par-nin class taught by her favorite uncle! What could be better?


As the rest of the class filed in, some in Uniform, some not, Gai stood upon his turtle, whom mumbled sourly:

"Don't you have anything better to do than use me as a stepping stool..."

"Heh...maybe I should use something different...like your head..."

"Uh...On second, thought, feel free to use my shell...It's much firmer..."

"Alright, Everyone, Let's settle," Gai said, but the students still blabbered on.

"Guys...GUYS...GUYS!!!!"

Gai stared for a few seconds, annoyed...

"QUIIIIIEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!"

The students whirled around and stopped talking immediately.

"Alright," said Gai, "I'm Might Guy...the YOUTHFUL Green Beast of Konoha! Erm...Anyway...I notice you are a little...well...drawn back by my youthful entourage...well, I wear it because I'd rather be judged by who I am instead of what I wear or what I look like. Next, we will learn required ninja technique for Par-Nins, but I'll try to make it sound as easy as possible for those who are not slow learners, but need more time to comprehend these teachings. Furthermore, I'm going to add a twist to break traditional Par-nin studies, as you will see about...NOW! To the Track Field!"


The class walked out...and to Gai's dismay, Kakashi's Par-Nin class (He had been teaching since he fist became a Jonin) was out there, about to run laps, his class just as much in shock as Gai's...Par-Nins usually don't start exercising and warmups until later in the first week...anyway, Gai tried to sneak past, but...

"My, um," Kakashi said, "opposition, if you will...Might Guy. Nice to see you out and about."

Guy laughed with gusto.

"Touche," Gai blurted, "Class, my eternal rival, Kakashi Hatake..."

"Wow, the Kakashi," said a girl with short, white hair in a ponytail, wearing the Konoha High Uniform, "No surprise."

"Hey," hollered a female ninja with kinked, brown and orange hair, wearing a sleeveless fishnet and blue top, jeans, ninja sandals and a forehead protector, "Don't talk about our sensei like that!"

"Oh, come on, Rodriguez," said the white haired girl, "Everyone knows how famous my brother is..."

"Casey, Ruka, shut up," Kakashi said calmly, "Now, for my secret weapon..."

All of Kakashi's students, including Casey Rodriguez, the girl who defended her sensei, crowded around and waited for the "secret weapon" as Gai and Haruka, the white haired girl, rolled their eyes.

Then, Kakashi pulled out...

"A Novel? Sensei...what do you need a novel for..."

"To see what happens next," Kakshi said, staring at it, "I mean, what did you think it was, a kunai knife?"

Guy shot a glance at his rival and shook his head.

"How long do you intend to read this smut?"

"Until I reach the end" Kakashi answered, not breaking his gaze.

"Oh, come on," Gai sneered, "You don't scare me..."

Kakashi turned his hed and bored a hole in him by just giving him his dull stare...

"Okay, maybe a little, but that's not the point-"

All the students stared at the two awkwardly and Guy all of a sudden felt embarrassed.

"Best be going, my rival" Guy said, "I'm making a fool of myself in front of my youthful students and same with you! Alright, first assignment: 200 Laps around the practice field!"

The kids groaned.

"Hey, Come on," said Gai, "You wanna be ninja...you must embrace your youth and strength! Now go out and do those laps!"

Yume and a stoic young man with brown hair, menacing, green eyes, wearing the Konoha High Uniform with a blue junior plate ran out. Then the others followed...many walked but others ran.

"Okay, you guys," Kakashi started, "200 Laps..."

The kids groaned.

No complaining...or no snacks..."

The kids perked up and headed for the hills.

"You idiot," screamed Gai, "That is no way to teach a class!!! You have no youth...you hear me...no youth!!!"

Kakashi sighed and returned to his novel. Must Guy be so...nutty?

The Class (Part 02) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 05

The kids did their laps. Some ran to their hearts content, some walked behind gabbing their heads off, some were jogging...Casey, Kioru and the Konoha High Senior headed the line and ran like there was a fire in the barn. It was like a race between the three and it was very entertaining to watch. The others then stopped and gaped in awe.

"Hey!"

Asuma Sarutobi, a fellow jonin, followed closely by his class, came to restore order.

"What the hell are you doing, you dumbelles," he snapped, "You can't work your kids like-Good God!!!"

Asuma gaped at the three remaining kids running.

"You came to stop us," Gai chimed in, "Is impossible...when we make the class descisions-"

"FINISHED!!!"

Gai gaped, Asuma laughed and Kakashi just beamed...Casey came in first...

Gai grimaced...another victory for Kakashi...boy, that drove him nuts...

Asuma sighed and shook his head.

"Guys," Asuma blurted, "Rivalry is the worst thing that can occur in-"

Kakshi just bopped him on the head with his novel.

"Okay, guys," he said, "Let's roll..."

He put an arm around Casey and beamed:

"Nice work..."

Gai growled...It drove him crazy how Kakashi acted so cool...

Meetings (Part 01) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 06

Yume looked on at her uncle.

"Guy," she asked, "Why did we go out and run...so...early...was it because you are competing with-"

"No, kid," he said, leaning in front of her seat, "It's because I believe that if one wants to become a ninja, they have to push themselves to the limit, even if it means sacrifice...and want you to keep that in mind."

Gai beamed at her, giving his trademark 'Nice Guy' pose.

"Well," he said, "I best be going...I'm meeting with my students' families, one family a night."

"Oh, yeah," she said, "I forgot about that...who are you meeting with tonight?"


Guy knocked on the door of a modest, wooden house.

"Who is it," said a voice.

"The postman," Guy snorted, annoyed at the voice on the other side.

"Well, why didn't you say so," said the voice and a skinny boy with big, oval eyes, wearing blue, striped PJs, hair forced back, answered the door...and then said:

"Go away..."

And tried to slam it it, but Guy caught it and said:

"Very funny, Mr. Unyouthful."

"Oh, Guy," cried a small, dark-haired woman, "Welcome...please excuse Jin's behavior...do you want anything..."

"No, Meiko, I'm good...Now where's..."

"GUY-SENSEEEEEIIIII!!!"

Lee, hair covered by a plastic hair net, wearing a white robe, flung himself on his sensei.

"I am so happy you are here," beamed Lee,"And I am probably breaking your bones...Sorry..."

He got up and looked at Lee.

"What are you doing," he said, "You know...with your hair."

"I cannot tell you," said Lee, "It is a surprise."

Jin tried to pull off the hair net and there was a tackle...and it revealed Lee's hair.

Since it was wet, it was scraggly and in his face. Half was chin length and half was above his ear, which was covered in bloody toilet paper.

"JIN," hollered Lee, "It was supposed to be a surprise!"

"Why don't I just touch that up," said Meiko, brushing it back from his face, "and Jin...leave your brother alone."

Jin grimaced.


The next night, Gai went to visit Neji. He only taught Par-nins Tuesdays and Thursdays, so he had no worries, except for a rapidly growing rivalry between Neji and Lee...

He kocked on the door and he heard Neji...and another voice...a teenage girl...

"Kaoru, I've got it," Neji said, "Go back to bed...now."

"Neji," said the other voice, belonging to the female, Kaoru, "I can get it..."

Kaoru coughed.

"Oh, come on, Kaoru," said Neji, "You're weak enough as it is. I'm answering the door," said Neji and he opened it. His long, chestnut hair was in a braid and the curse mark on his forehead was exposed. He wore a deep blue kimono, as with the young lady behind him. Her hair was just as long as Neji. She looked very ill, as if she were to topple over at any second.

"Sensei" said Neji, bowing.

"Neji," Gai said in turn.

"Follow me..."


Neji walked into a room, got Kaoru into her bed and sat next to her, gently brushing her hair out of her hot forehead and dabbing her forehead with a damp cloth.

"My sister, Kaoru," he said softly, and the young woman smiled softly at Guy.

"Neji," Gai started, "If your hands were so full, why didn't you tell anyone...we could help...or, maybe, Lee could help...if you gave him a chance..."

"Lee," Neji hissed bitterly, "What could Lee do? He's a born, unsatisfied fool..."

"Neji," Gai cut in, "I have told you this so many times...It's not what your born with...It's what you do with it. Now, you may not see it, but Lee has made a very wise choice in his convictions and he has the makings of a great ninja. You can rebel and cut him down all you want...he's just gonna get back up and fight...but, you'll see...I'm positive...and I know you've been through a lot...So that's why you've been cutting people down to size...because...you're insecure..."

"No," Neji snapped, "I'm just cutting him down because he can't get a handle on his destiny..."

The tea kettle whistled.

"Tea?"


The next night, Guy visited Tenten's home, but was completely out of breath from the looong day he had...
"Uncle Guy," offered Kioru, "You want me to get you something...like some Lemonade...I've got some for you...It's fozen, but it's good."

She handed the container of frozen pink lemonade and a spoon to Guy.

"Thanks..."

"Anytime..."


"Well," Tenten said, "Neji's just so...well...cold...I never knew he had to take care of his sister."

"Heh," Guy said, "Tenten, I am just in shock as you are. Now, what's your deal...do you have any-"

"Family Troubles," Tenten cut in, "Oh, yes...well...It's just that...my sister and father are feuding...My sister wants to be a singer and, being she's the oldest, she is supposed to run the temple...and I don't know what to do...If she steps out, I'm second born, so I could run the temple..."

"Yes, but then, you'd be living like Neji," Guy said, "You'd have to take care of your siblings..."

"But, I'll go help him," Tenten said, "Seems like he's under a lot of pressure..."

Gai laughed.

"What?"

"Lee was just talking about you two," Guy laughed, "He said you'd make the perfect couple."

"What?!"

Guy fell down laughing...

Meetings (Part 02) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 07

Lee's Home:

"Where do I start," thought Gai, hand on his chin, looking like a dramatic thinker. Lee, his hair now similar to Gai-Sensei's, beamed...

As usual, he thought, Gai-sensei is too impressed for words to speak-

Jin interrupted those pleasent thoughts.

"Get on with it, dumbell!"

"Now, Jin," Chen warned.

"No worries," Gai said, "I know what I want to say..."

Gai and Lee embraced dramatically...

"Lee," Gai said, sniffing dramatically, "You're such a great person..."

The two bawled melodramatically and Jin banged his head on the table. Chen laughed.

"You know," Chen said, "I read a book on "Love Language." There are five basic categories of Love Language:

"Touch,

"Words,

"Quality Time,

"Gifts,

"and Acts of Service (i.e.: Doing a Chore for your lover, like carrying books or cooking for them).

"I've pretty much figured out what our love language is. Mine is Touch, as with Lee here...and so was Meiko's...she was great, not a healthy person, but..."

"Woah," Gai said, looking at the picture of Meiko that Lee was holding out, "She's a keeper."

"You don't know how right you are," Chen said, "She had cystic fibrosis, whic is a breathing disorder in which the lungs are clogged by mucus due to overproduction of cell fluids. It's genetic...her father had it. She had weak legs when I met her...had to be in a wheelchair her senior year and spent the rest of her life in it. I met her at the school dance... she was sitting on her own and I decided to dance with her...and it was love at first sight. There, we made our destiny and had two cute little boys...but, she only lived to see them when they were five and three..."

Chen jokingly pinched Jin and Lee's cheeks.

"Daaaaad," Jin growled.

Lee's cheeks glowed.

Everyone burst into laughs.

"Lee's is touch and words," Chen continued, stroking his freshly cut hair and Lee snuggled to his dad, "You know why you go into dramatic embraces where you say compliments? You both feel that is how you feel loved. Now, Jin's is tricky...Heck, I can't even figure the kid out. He's so skeptical..."

"I am not skeptical," Jin snapped back, "I'm just sensitive, that's all."

"Psssssssshhhhh," Gai guffawed, "Please...you are an unyouthful stick in the mud...you're always trudging around with no boudaries of youth and-"

"Alright, now," Chen said, cutting the argument short, "We're not here to argue. We're here to talk about Lee's progress...now, Gai, I think you have the same love language as..."

"Lee," Gai said, "Definitley...he's a splendid ninja."

"Ah," Chen said, "Words, a very nice deposit into the bank account of relationships...just think of it like that."

Lee's head was facedown on the table.

"Look, Lee," Gai said, "If Neji's giving you trouble-"

"I am just tired, sensei," came Lee's muffled voice, gravelly with fatigue.

"Alright," Gai said, picking up Lee and holding him like a child.

"Where's his bedroom," Gai asked.

"Up the stairs, first door to the right," Chen said and Gai. Gai the carried Lee up the stairs.

Chen and Jin crept up and watched Gai gently rock Lee (A/N: Get it, "Rock" Lee...ok...that was corny...) in his arms for several seconds, tuck him in, brush strands of shockingly scraggly hair out of his face and kiss his forehead.

"You're so great, Lee," Gai said softly. He then said:

"Okay, I know you're out there..."

Chen and Jin walked in quietly.

"You really care about Lee," Chen said, "That is what I cherish about you."

"You really have one hell of a family," Gai said.


Neji's Home:

Gai watched Neji sing softly to Kaoru. Neji had a very nice voice, pretty much baritone, very soft and gentle, perfect for lullabies.

Neji made some tea and sat with Gai at the table.

"Neji, you're progressing really well," Gai said, "In fact, you're the strongest in my squad...But, you have to stop pinning yourself and others down."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean," Neji growled, sipping his tea, "Once you're a loser, you're a loser for life...And not only that, but hard work and perseverence will never change that...Never..."

Neji was obviously starting to tear up.

"M-my father tried to...to change it," Neji quavered, barely keeping his voice under control, "B-but...they had to k-kill him...and now it know my father let me down...it hurts to know my future niece or nephew will never know his grandfather...and I have no one to look up to."

Neji's teacup shattered, causing his hands to bleed. He cried quietly. Gai put his arms around him, rocking him slightly to calm him.

"How do you know," Gai murmured, "How do you know Lee or Tenten or even you won't persevere...how do you know there is no future...how do you know any of it?"

"I...d-don't know," Neji said plainly and wept bitterly.

"Okay, Neji," Gai murmured, wiping Neji's tears, "Everything's fine...It'll be okay."

"H-how d-do you know," sobbed Neji.

"Because I care about you," Gai said, "You think I was lying about that?! I care about all my students, not just Lee...you and Tenten are a part of me...all three of you are."

Neji had to admit that he was right...he seemed to be on the ball about things like this...


Tenten's home:

"I have to warn you," Tenten said, "I am the second born of seven kids, so...It'll be...a bit crowded."

Tenten opened the door...and two little girls ran out and gave Tenten a big hug.

"Tenteeeeeeeeen!!!!"

"You're pretty popular, Tenten, Aren't you," Gai laughed.

"Yeah," Tenten smiled, being piled on by two boys and one more tiny, chubby-cheeked boy with shaggy, brown hair and pajamas tried to push his way through his siblings, but was pushed and started bawling.

"Dendeeeeeeen!!!"

"I'm here, Kay," Tenten said, picking the tiny boy up, "He's just mad he didn't get to give me a hug first."

Tenten gave Kay a big kiss on his chubby cheek.

"Ah wann- ug Denden virs, bungz!" (I wanted to Hug Tenten first, Punks!")

"Kay," Tenten scolded, "That wasn't nice..."

"O-kee, denden...Towwee, Dim-Dim, Ko-Ko, Dum-Dum, Dao-Den and Koh-oo." (Okay, Tenten...Sorry, Chim-Chim, Ko-Ko, Yum-Yum, Dao-Ten and Koru).

"Alright, Kids," Tenten smiled, "This is my sensei."

"Is this the sensei you got when you graduated from the ninja academy, like I'm gonna do soon," said a girl with shoulder-length hair, big, brown eyes, wearing a red, long sleeved, chinese collar shirt, greenish-khaki shorts and ninja sandals.

"Yeah," Tenten said, "And I think you'll have a great sensei when you get out."

"I was wondering," said the girl, "Are you gonna get married to a girl?"

"Chim-Chim," Scolded Tenten, "Excuse me, sensei...this is my nosy sister, Chimi, but we call her Chim-Chim."

"What about me," Cried a small girl with hair that seemed to touch her waist and eyes seeming very big for her head.

"Of course I wouldn't forget you, Yumi," Tenten beamed, "This is Yumi, but we call her Yum-Yum."

A girl with shoulder-length hair, who looked the same as Kay, waddled up.

"And this is Koto," said Tenten, "But we call her Ko-Ko."

Two boys, who looked about three years apart, with scraggly, brown hair, goolgled and snickered at Gai.

"These two are morons named Dao and Koru..."

"Well," Gai said, amazed, "Biiiiig family..."


Chan, hair in a chestnut ponytail, wearing only a camisole and jeans, ran downstairs.

"Tenten, have you seen my-Holy Monkey shit!!!"

Tenten and Gai looked at her funny.

"Don't look at me funny, big-nose," hollered Chan, "I should be looking funny at you!!!"

"Well, have you looked in a mirror, miss," Gai snapped back.

"Sorry, sensei," Tenten said, "This is my older sister, Chan. She's the one I told you about."

"The one quarreling with your father?"

"Yeah," said Chan, "The old bag wants me to run the temple when he retires...well...there goes my dream..."

Chan sat down sadly and Gai put an arm around her.

"What dream," he beamed, gently lifting her face, "Tell me...I know I'm not much to look at, but I believe in anyone's dreams."

"Well," Chan said softly, "I've always wanted to be a singer...but, my father wants to...ex-expell m-me from the f-family be-c-cause I w-want t-to do s-s-smeth-thing I-I l-love..."

Chen was crying. Gai pulled her close.

"I see what your sister means," Gai murmured, "Have you talked to your father?"

Chan shook her head.

"Butttt...that hasn't worked, has it?"

Chan shook her head a second time. Gai wiped her tears.

"Daddy wants me to take up if Chan doesn't," Tenten said, trembling, "I'm so scared."

"You shouldn't be," Gai said, "I'm sure your father could do with reasoning."

Tenten looked on. Gai was always caring...It wasn't just Lee he gave hugs to...be it his wife, a family member, his regular or par-nin students...or even a complete stranger...he was always lending a hand...


"Tenten has perfect aim," Gai said, "That's the best thing so far...she's dilligent... a very good student...No ifs, ands or buts!"

"Great," beamed her father, Chang, "My little cupcake is doing good in school."

"What about Chan," Gai said, out of the blue.

"Oh, her," Tenten's father said, "She's...um...distracted..."

"Maybe's she's just trying to do something she loves."

"You have to be kidding me," Chang laughed, "She's the eldest...she's supposed to uphold the household."

"Why," hollered Chan, "Why can't you let me do what I wanna do?!"

"This is your destiny," hollered Chang, "You are taking this dojo!"

"What if I don't want to," screamed Chen.

"Well, If you don't want do do something for this family, you're out of the family...go pack your bags."

Chan ran upstairs in a fit of tears.

"I hate you, bastard...I HATE YOU," hollered Chan from upstairs.

"Chan, wait up..."

Tenten ran up after Chan. Gai looked on.

"What the hell is wrong with you," Gai said, looking up, "Why can you not have some spark of sympathy for those two...I mean...She...I mean, both of them...are your own flesh and blood."

"Because I've already lost my daughter," Chang said, "Now, I feel like an utter fool for constantly getting in Chan's face...I don't know what brought this on and I'm scared this road will crush her...I try to stop her, but all I do is wind up getting frustrated with her and driving her away."

"Well," Gai said, "If you want to make this work, tell her instead of flying off the handle."

"What?"

"Ahhhh...enough resting! You're wasting you're precious gift of youth," beamed Gai, pushing Chang up the stairs.


Chan was sobbing uncontrollably, tears and snot strands dampening her face and lips, face and eyes red from so much crying. Tenten was singing softly and rocking Chan in her arms. Their little sisters sat with them.

"Why is Chan always crying," asked Chim-Chim, nosy as she was.

"She's having some problems with dad," Tenten said, "Okay, Chan...Okay...Shhhh..."

There was a knock on the door. Chim-Chim opened it.

"Your father has something to say, Chan," Gai said, urging Chang to spit it out. Chang walked over to where Tenten was singing to and rocking Chan and sat down.

"Baby," Chang murmured, "I'm...I'm sorry."

"Don't...bull...shit...m-me, you...ass...hole...you...don't...care...a...b-b-bout...me-me..."

"Now, now," Tenten murmured, continuing to rock Chan, "Calm down, baby...calm down...shhhh...shhhhh..."

"Listen," Chang said softly, "I understand your dream...I'm just scared...that you'll become famous, forget about us...and be shot down from idiots who think they're better than you...and when I get scared, I become frustrated...and I can get hard-headed sometimes."

"What does that mean," asked Yum-Yum.

"It means when someone feels very irritated or angry, they stick to something they want themselves or somebody else to do and when someone doesn't want to do this, they get frustrated all over again," explained Chang, "It's a whole vicios cycle."

Chang got a tissue and wiped Chen's nose while Tenten wiped her tears.

'You've got boo-gers," said Chang, like Chan and Tenten were little kids again. This made the little ones laugh and put a smile on Chan and Tenten's faces.

Chan seemed to calm down with Tenten's gentle singing and rocking, the little one's laughing and Chang's confession. She leaned into Tenten's gentle motion and harmonized with Tenten.

Go to sleep little baby.
Go to sleep little baby.

Your momma's gone away and your daddy's gonna stay
didn't leave nobody but the baby.

Don't you weep pretty baby.
Don't you weep pretty baby.

She�s long gone with her red shoes on
gonna need another loving babe.

Gai beamed. He finally settled the storm between them.


Next training session, Tenten came over, weeping.

"Something bothering you, Tenten," Gai said, giving her a hug.

"Thank you so much," Tenten said softly.

"Just looking out for you...for all of you."

Lee and Neji looked on. Lee teared up and Neji looked on.

"Gai-sensei really does what a noble shinobi does," Lee said, "He put others before himself...that is what really makes him the smartest man in the world."

Neji just stayed there, silent. Maybe he was right...but that would come in time...

Might Tuy by Peach Tea Rose
Chapter 08

Might Tuy, a young man of 20, sprinkled crispy tenkasu onto a steaming plate of Tanuki Yakisoba. He might have been sharp as a marble, and not a ninja like his brother, but could cook like the dickens.


=

On the television was the Muppet Show, and up started his favorite segment, The Swedish Chef. Said chef began his segment the way he always did: by singing his theme song:

"Yeh Dors Gur

De Yum Gor Dis ke Doo

De Bor De Hurdee Yor Hum

Bork Bork Bork."

Then, he said,

"Gur des hum der hur be horg de Chocolate Mousse."

Tuy clapped excitedly.

"Es Vurn de Hurn de Chocolate."

The chef poured chocolate into a bowl.

"Yum Yum Yum de Chocolate."

"Es Vurn de Hurn...Good, Good Chocolate...Und Nuw, de Moose...uh, Moose-Moose?"

Instead of bringing out merengue and a batter to fluff it, he brought in a real live moose.

"Und poot de chocolate un de moose."

Then, he spread the chocolate on the moose!!! Then, Kermit the frog ran onto the stage and hollered:

"No...No...Wait a minute; Stop, curtain, CUT!"

Sadly, this distraction proved unlucky. He turned to give his order...but ran smack into a pole.


"Tuy?"

Tora's head throbbed and the first thing he saw was his older brother, Guy and his genin hovering over him.

"Is he okay, Tenten?"

"I dunno, Lee...He looks pretty stunned to me..."

The first thing he felt was a pack of ice being placed on his head.

Guy gave a small chuckle.

"Old coot. He gets so distracted. He'll be fine...we in the Might family are troopers..."

"Guy," hollered his mother, being that Tuy lived with her, "Is Tuy awake yet?"

"Look like he's stunned," called Guy, "I'm gonna let him sleep for a while.I'll be training my students...I'm out in the backyard if you need me."

Guy gave a playful ruffle to his brother's head and ordered his genin out.


When Tuy woke up again, he could move. He walked out and saw his mother in the kitchen, making dinner.

"Uh, ma," he said, making his mother jump, "I'd suggest to add about 1 tablespoon of curry and 1/2 of paprika. You know how Guy likes his food...nice and spicy."

"Baby," said Mrs. Maito, "Don't scare me like that...are you alright?"

"My head hurts," he said, "But...yeah. Where's everyone else?"

"Your brother's out in the backyard, training his genin."

"Okay..."


Tuy went out into the backyard and sat out on the porch, watching his older sibling train his genin. He was doing pushups with Rock Lee, persuading him to keep going. Tuy had always been inspired by his older brother. It was like whatever lives Guy touched, they turned to gold. Rock Lee was impacted the most by Guy's strong will and kindness, but in their own language. Guy congratulated Lee in their usual dramatic way. Then he smiled and winked at Tuy. Tuy waved back.
5 year old Tuy looked on at a 10 year old Guy.

"Whatcha dooin'?"

"I'm training to improve my youthful stamina," Guy said, "I want to be great...to protect the ones I love..."

"Will you be a jonin," Asked Tuy.

Guy thought about this. He was lucky enough to make it into the academy. Even if his father, Might Duy, was the 'Eternal Genin' of Konoha...

"That's not what matters, Tuy," Guy said excitedly, "Papa says..what's important is to fight for, and protect, the ones you love...like you. I promise, Tuy, I will prevail in all my youthful glory!"

"Why do you 'n' dad say 'youth' alla time," Tora asked, "It's a weird word..."

"...Yet a wonderful thing," Guy answered, putting his arms around his tiny brother, "You have plenty of it...enjoy it, savor it...and you will have it all your life..."


Tuy smiled back at his older brother and companion. He loved his ongoing spirit and caring heart...and how it prevailed over all.

The Spandex Crusade by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 9

"You...have...to...be...kidding..."

"No," Lee said, "I am not joking! Gai-sensei is one to be honored...and I only have the haircut."

"But, still," Tenten said, "Why do you want to look the part?"

"It is respect, Tenten," Lee said, "Respect to a great sensei."

"Yeah, but since today's incident, Gai-sensei won't let you go anywhere."

What they were arguing about was the fact Lee wanted to wear the exact same jumpsuit as Gai. His hair had grown a little over his ears and he wanted to pay homage to his sensei by becoming a mini Gai. Neji and Tenten thought he was nuts. I mean, the previous day he fell in the lake while training and caught a nasty cold. Gai-sensei took him home and told Neji and Tenten to watch him.


So, that afternoon, while Tenten and Neji were playing cards, Lee, dressed only in his green boxers and muscle shirt, slid out the window and headed to Leaf Vintage, where Gai-sensei bought and repaireed his spandex outfits. Lee slid in under a table while Gai walked in.

"This one is torn," he said.

"But aren't your outfits all the same," Said the girl at the counter.

"Of course not," Gai said, "Each outfit I own is unique in it's own way!"

"Right," said the girl, looking at the completely identical green spandex outfits on the rack...

Jackpot!

Once Gai sensei walked out of the store, Lee rushed up and looked for one.

"Welcome to Hidden Leaf Vintage," said a woman wearing a spandex shirt with chi-chis like Dolly Parton, "Are you looking for a full-body, pants or-"

"Full body," Lee just said, "I am a size 9."

"Okay, we got yellow, green and red," she said, "Take your pick..."

"Green, please!"


Lee tried on the jumpsuit, grabbed a pair of legwarmers and paid the woman...but ducked several times when Gai came and got his fixed outfit...and the girl stared...and looked under the table...

"That's weird," she said, "I could've sworn there was someone under that table!"

A-CHOO!

"The table is sneezing," Gai asked, walking over...and looking under...

"LEE!!!!"

Busted...


"What on earth were you doing...defying me when I specifically said not to leave here!"

"I wanted to..."

Gai looked at the outfit he bought...

"This was why you...Lee...It's just your size!"

Gai was tearing up...

"Yes, sir...This is why I," Lee said, but Gai cut him off.

"Lee...You didn't have to...I coul've gotten one for you...this is paid for, right?"

Lee nodded...

"Oh, Lee...you never cease to amaze me..."

"S-sensei..."

"Lee!"

"SENSEI!!!"

"LEE!!!"

T-T...

Facing Fear by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 10

...KIORU'S POV...

I used to think that gym was the worst class in the world. Coach Takanaka expected us to climb a rope...a rope...

"What does she think I am, a chimpanzee?! I can't climb that thing..." At least that's what the excuse was...Truly, I am acrophobic, or I have a severe fear of heights.

When they did this rope thing, I just backed away. The rope was so high...and when my mom found out...


"Kioru Nonaka, why would you just quit like that," she exclaimed.

"I'm fine with P.E., but this," I retorted, "This is ludicrous! What does she take me for, a monkey?! I don't do this crap."

"First off, little missy," she said, "You don't say that at the dinner table. And second, this is part of your infamous stubborn streak. Sweety...Is there something you're not telling me..."

Mom gently lifted my face...

"I'm...acrophobic..."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I'm afraid of heights," I said, "I haven't told anyone..."

"Sis," said Setsuna, my older junior sister, "You are always trying to act tough. You know, you get it from uncle Gai."

My mom laughed and sighed like a memory came to her.

"Oh, that stubborn little brother of mine," she smiled, "He was so much like you at your age. He was such a go-getter. That boy...what's his name..."

"Lee, mom," I said, "Rock Lee."

"Oh, that Lee boy is so much like him, too," she said, "That's why Gai begged the hokage to take him."

"What?"

"Uncle Gai," said Setsuna, "When he first saw Lee, he fell in love instantly and insisted that he be his student and wrote an essay why."

And wouldn't you know it," added Mom, "The hokage was impressed and told the ninja council to let Lee under Gai's tutelage."

Not only was I surprised, I was smiling inside and out. I guess Uncle Gai and I have more in common than we thought.


The next day, I went on with my P.E. class, but still had no grade for the rope climbing...and Uncle Gai was pretty pissed...

"If you're going to take physical education," He snapped when I walked into the Par-nin class the day after, "I'd suggest you get a lesson in from it!!!"

"Lesson," I asked, plopping in my seat, looking down, "What kind of lesson do I get from climbing a rope?"

"I know about your little phobia," he said, turning and glaring daggers at me, "But don't go hiding! I suggest you go out there and climb that rope. Now worth blowing off an assignment, miss..."

"Who cares," I said, "I'm such a coward."

Uncle Gai brushed a lock of hair out of my face and gently cradled my face.

"Sweetheart, I know you have a strong phobia," he said gently, but with building intensity, "But let me tell you something. When our country went to bomb america, Franklin Roosevelt didn't sit back in a cowardly fashion...he stood up and said...'The only thing we have to fear is fear its-self.' Now, I think you should apply this to your dillema. You are only being kept from your grade by fear building up in your gut...not a good thing. Now, I want you to look that fear straight in the eye and face it with that desire you so have. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

Uncle Gai beamed.


That night, I sat on the roof, letting uncle Gai's words sink in. I usually sit on the roof when I need to sort out my thoughts. It helps me think when I look out at the world. I looked out and then felt someone's jacket wrap around me. I tried to kick them in self defense, but it was caught...by Lee!!!

"What are you doing here," I said, startled.

"I am telling you, here and now, that it is time for a change," Lee said in his usual dramatics, "I am going to help you."

I felt Lee was right...


...KITARA'S POV...

"Kioru, Honey. Dinner's ready! I made your...Favorite..."

Kioru wasn't on the roof. I was in panic...so I called the person I knew she trusted the most...


"What do you mean she's gone," hollered Gai over the phone.

"I went to check and see if she was on the roof," I said, "And she wasn't there...where on earth..."

Gai cut me short.

"The Gym," he exclaimed, "At Dancing Leaf High! I told her about facing her fears...boy am I impressed!"

"Alright," I said, "Setsuna and I will meet you there."

After all was said and done we found the gym door was unlocked...and there was my youngest daughter, climbing the rope...and Rock Lee was there, yelling encouragements.

"Kioru Nonaka," I exclaimed, "What were you thinking giving me a-"

"LEE!"

That was Gai...

Lee panicked...

"It is not what it looks like, sensei!"

"Don't try that on me, Rock Lee," he said sternly, "I can see right through your little shenanigan."

"Yes, sir," said Lee, looking down. Gai put a hand on his shoulder and, beaming, gave a thumbs up.

"Good work, Lee!"

"Thank you, sir."


"Kioru," I said, "Come down...I'm afraid you'll-"

"I'm not coming down," she shouted, "because I'm staring at that fear! I'm not backing down now!!!"

This was Kioru's infamous stubborn streak...and before we knew it, she was at the top...but parylyzed by fear.

"Honey," I said, trying to coax her down, "It's okay..."

She stayed up there...

"Come on, Kia," hollered Gai, "This is the time to stare fear in the face! What the hell are you waiting for! Get down!"

She slowly let her red, throbbing hand start down...but slipped...she fell, but Gai caught her and I rushed up to find Gai, cross-legged, slowly rocking her, trying to comfort her tears. I knew how much she liked to be rocked in my little brother's arms. He was like her father figure.

"You made it," whispered Gai softly, "That's a reward in itsself..."

He kissed Kia's head gently several times and she calmed down.

"This was your idea, wasn't it, Lee," said Gai, but Lee fainted. Gai kissed Kia's head, walked over to Lee and...

"FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, LEE, PAY ATTENTION WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU!"

He shook Lee and dropped him. Lee was awake.

"Pay attention! Yes, sir! No problem!"

Lee and Gai teared up and hugged...

Kia laughed and I looked on, baffled.


...KIORU'S POV...

Well, after that was over, I sat on the roof. I felt proud I got to the top, but sad...sad that I sank. I wasn't supposed to sink!

"Well, Well, Well," said a voice said behind me, "Looks like someone doesn't have a phobia after all."

It was Uncle Gai.

"But," I said, "I didn't make it to the bottom..."

"Don't worry about it," Uncle Gai said, "You faced your fear. That's what's important."

"Listen," I said, "I have something I've wanted to talk to you about..."

"Something wrong, honey," Uncle Gai said, putting an arm around me.

"Well," I said, "My mom and sister told me that you begged the hokage-"

"Okay, First off," said Uncle Gai suddenly, "I didn't beg him...I merely requested! And second, why would they tell you this?"

"I dunno," I said, looking down, "I guess because you've never told anyone but them this and I didn't tell anyone but them I was acrophobic."

""Sweetheart," Uncle Gai said, gently lifting my face, "You didn't do anything wrong. Don't feel ashamed."

He drew me closer and embraced me...

"You know, Kia," He said, "We have a lot in common you and I...we have fire...fire within us, burning fast and brilliant..."

I was still feeling a little ashamed.

He turned my face to meet his and held my hair back.

"Good," he said, "Now I can see your pretty face."

He was making fun of how my mom was always pulling my hair back out of my face, which annoyed her. I knew Uncle Gai was trying to cheer me up.

"Just tell me what happened," I said softly.

Uncle Gai hestiated, biting his lip...

"All right," he said, stroking my hair, "So, when Lee first came, I was a chunin..."

Mutual Connection (Part 1) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 11

"You know, Kia," Uncle Gai said, "We have a lot in common, you and I...we have fire...fire within us, burning fast and brilliant..."

I was still feeling a little ashamed for knowing something he had never really told anyone.

He turned my face to meet his and held my hair back.

"Good," he said, "Now I can see your pretty face."

He was making fun of how my mom was always pulling my hair back out of my face, which annoyed her. I knew Uncle Gai was trying to cheer me up.

"Just tell me what happened," I said softly.

Uncle Gai hestiated, biting his lip...

"All right," he said, stroking my hair, "So, when Lee first came, I was a chunin..."


"I was walking into my ninja academy class one day and they were taking about this new kid that had come...

'Listen,' One of them said, 'There's this kid here...and he has utterly no talent! Only knowing Taijustu..psssssh!'

"The others laughed and I looked on bewildered. How could they say something so hurtful...well, it's the real world...and it has such a way of stinging you...


"So at about 11:00 I was walking along to get some lunch when my eternal rival was reclining in the middle of the hallway...

'Well, Kakashi,' I said, 'You here for a fight or are you gonna move?'

He put a hand out to silence me and motioned with his head to what was happening outside.

'Shut up and take a look at this,' he said.

Apparently, some kids were picking on a ninja until, finally he rushed away with his hands over his ears.

'So this is the no-talent ninja I've heard so much,' I said.

'Yeah,' Kakashi had to reply, 'Reminds me of someone.'

I just rolled my eyes at his cool sarchasm and looked on...

"...At that point...looking at him, I felt something...Like a mutual connection...Sorta like what I feel with you..."

Uncle Gai gave me a kiss on the cheek and contiued with his story.


"You probably imagine at this point, I am starving. So, I went out and noticed the kid practicing, trying to get the hang of using a different jutsu. I thought the kid needed some pep-talk. So I went over and said:

'Hey, Kid...Ignore what those kids say...I think you will make a great ninja!'

He looked at me funny (No surprise...I get that look almost every day), and replied:

"Who are you...you look weird..."

'That's the youth talking,' I replied back, 'Keep up the good work...goodbye...'


"I went to eat a the teahouse where your uncle Tora worked. I had no choice but to tell my two brothers about this mutual connection...

'I feel I'll be of great tutelage to him," I said to your Aunt Cibo, 'He seems so...so dedicated...So much-'

'Like you,' cut in Cibo, dully, as she always does.

'Exactly.'

'He sounds great,' said Tora, 'You met him yet?'

'Well,' I said, 'I did introduce myself just before I left.'

'That was only one meeting,' said Cibo.

'Don't care,' I retorted proudly, 'I feel as if he will fit into my world perfectly...You know, I wish you would be more youthful, Cibo. Loosen up that buttoned shirt once in a while.'

Cibo just wrinkled her nose...

'Rock Lee,' said Tora out of the blue, 'His name is Rock Lee. He's 9 years old and only knows Taijutsu. He usually practices in that field across from the academy. I bet you could watch him there!'

I was struck by genius. I was going to see this Lee kid in action...Tonight...

I watched him...and he sure as hell did practice, barely even pausing to take a break. I was amazed. He had an unyielding will which I couldn't get enough of...I was enjoying it..when-

'Gai! What are you doing?! Smelling the roses or peeping, you tom!'

'Cibo,' I said, 'I'm surprised at you! I would never hurt a fly...unless they threatened me or anyone I care about...just admit it, Cibo! I'm drawn to this kid!'

'Of course,' said Cibo, 'But...the chances of you getting this kid as a genin are a thousand to one!'

'There's still a chance,' I said, walking away.

'I'll be back, Rock Lee...'

To be continued in the next chapter...

Mutual Connection (Part 2) by Peach Tea Rose
Chapter 12

A wind blew from out of the blue. I shivered and then felt something wrapped around me.

It was uncle Gai's vest.

"It's all I have, sweetheart," he said, "Enjoy it."

He kissed my head and comtinued with his story.


'The next day, I went to class and saw Bruce Apo, the most unyouthful snob to ever exist, snooting Lee out.

"You are constantly falling behind, don't have a drop of chakra in your blood, are repeatedly failing...I suggest you find another school more suited for your needs..."

"SHUT UP!!!"

This brought a sudden shock to Bruce.

"I am NOT a quitter! You think I'm gonna walk outta here and say, 'I quit...' Well...forget it!!! I am going to keep taking classes and will become a genin...or a Jonin for that matter...even if I fail..."

Lee shoved Bruce out of the way and marched into class.

I could only say one thing:

"Spoken like a true ninja..."


This past summer, it was my day off. So, I found this a golden opportunity to declare an undying passion for this boy. I got a lot of funny looks...probably because I was wearing a purple turtleneck, dark jeans and a brown leather jacket instead of my lovely jumpsuit and legwarmers. Anyway, I got into the Hokage's office and faced the ninja council, looked 'em straight in the eye and said...

"Pleasepleasepleeeeease can I have that boy in my group?!"


I laughed...

"Okay, okay," Gai admitted, "I begged...at first...But then I got up and said..."


"Alright, I'll be serious this time...I would like Rock Lee as a genin. I know you do selection based upon the stamina of a genin, but this boy...this Lee kid...I am drawn to him...It's a connection. I feel like we have a lot in common...we share the same triumphs and tragedies and don't have much chakra...but, Lord Hokage, I hope you will take this to mind. I will see you soon...and let me know what you decide..."


"Woah," I said. I was so drawn back and surprised. I couldn't believe uncle Gai would do something like that.

"Yep," Uncle Gai said, "I knew you would have that reaction. Your mother near had a heart attack...but I'll tell you what happened next..."

"What?"


I looked on the callboard and saw that my request was fullfilled...and everyone stared as I did a happy dance in the halls. I couldn't help it though...Lee was going to be under my tutelage...and I was so nervous that first day...a good kind of nervous...more of...excited...


"That's great," I said, tired...

"Come on, honey," Uncle Gai said as he carried me in, "I'll tuck you in..."

The Legend of the Masho (Part 01) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 13

...CASEY'S POV...

I'm Casey Rodriguez, a 14-year-old par-nin who has an obvious desire to be a ninja. Now, I know this fanfic is called The Life and Times of Team Gai, but I believe you noticed the ...Oh, and Everyone Else, Too label following it. This chapter takes a look at Gai's 'rival,' Kakashi...and myself, of course.


Let me begin with myself. I was born Cassandra Maria Rodriguez on May 5th, 1985 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I never liked that name, so my friends and family call me Casey...unless mom is really mad, then she'll say,

"¡Cassandra Maria Rodriguez, vienes aquí este minuto! " (Cassandra Maria Rodriguez, you come here this minute!)

Then she'll scream at me in spanish and all that motherly discipline stuff...


I never really fit in with the crowd...I'm more of a tomboy. I didn't care about what other people thought. The comments about, "You can't do this...you're a GIRL" didn't really fly with me. I didn't care...I just had fun...

...but then, when I was in eighth grade, my dad got cancer and passed away over the summer. That summer, I didn't say a word. I was really sad and depressed. My mom wanted a better outlet for me, so she moved me to Konoha and enrolled me as a Freshman at Dancing Leaf High and as a Par-Nin...but I was shocked that I would be under the tutelage of the Kakashi Hatake.


...HARUKA'S POV...

The Kakashi...please...don't make me laugh! If he sooooo famous, why does he spend about 90 of his time reading 'Adult' books? Oh, sorry, I'm Haruka Hatake, the well-known sister of this so called 'legendary ninja.' We get along pretty well, but it annoys me how everyone blows his legends out of proportion...but he doesn't seem to care...he never cares about what everyone else thinks...and on the outside, he's got this shell that's really hard to crack, but he's soft inside, usually around me.

Anyway, this is a story about Kakashi and Casey...and I should let Casey tell it...


...CASEY'S POV...

Anyway, when I started, I was praised by Kakashi. I didn't understand it...I've heard he's really hard to please. Then I found out...

One day, we were taking a chakra basics test and, in the middle of the test, he said:

"Casey, I'd like to see you after class..."

I didn't know what to say. He'd never told me that before...


After class, I met him, nervous that I was to be punished. But, then, after everyone left, Kakashi poked his head out the door and looked both ways as if crossing the street. Then, he shut the door and said,

"Casey, I phoned your mother and said that I was keeping you after class. Now, why don't you take a seat up in the front row and I will explain the basics to you."

I did so and he started:

"Okay, before you get started thinking you're being punished, you're not...Now, it may seem that I'm playing favorites, but, no, Miss Rodriguez...I do, however, think you have the potential to become a great ninja...because I know you only know ninjutsu...and I saw you handling a Masho knife and it seems to me that you need someone to teach you how to handle it...

"...and I'm that person because I am the only ninja in Konoha who knows how to handle a Masho knife."

He walked into his office and walked out with what looked like and enlarged Kunai knife, except the blade was more broad and less narrow, with small, light beige, tentacle-like bristles alligning the blade. This was a Masho knife. It was called a Masho knife because Masho is japanese for "Witch" and the sword's bristles could help sense an opponents chakra and directly attack it, giving the impression that the knife was enchanted, as in witchcraft, hence the name...and it's nickname "The Enchanted Ninjutsu."

"Alright, Casey," he said, "Come down here..."

I did and he handed me the knife and held onto my hands. He had a pretty firm grip on them. No wonder he was such a strong ninja.

"Alright," he continued, "Now I want you to close your eyes and take a few deep breaths."

He and I did so. The knife sort of jiggled, like worms in your hand, and that sort of startled me.

"The knife is just activating itself," Kakashi explained, "Don't worry. Just stay completely calm...you don't want the knife to be too energized."

I calmed down and so did the knife.

"Alright," Kakashi continued, "Now, hold onto the knife. It'll feel a little weird, but just trust me."

I tried, but the knife squirmed and tried to get away and when it did, Kakashi caught it.

"The key to activating this knife is to keep yourself completely calm. It's hard at first try, but you'll get it...now, try again.

The next few tries were a little easier, but after a half an hour, I got the hang of it.

"Alright, now, " Kakashi stated, "Let's see if there's anyone in the courtyard, then I'll show you a few basic techniques."


When we were in the courtyard, Kakashi showed me a couple basic techniques. The first one was rolling the Masho knife from one hand to the other.

"I want you to imagine there's a string connecting the two," Kakashi instructed, not looking up from his book, "It'll create an invisible string of chakra that will guide the knife. Watch me to get an idea."

I watched Kakashi. He tilted his body downward and the knife tumbled along the imaginary path before he caught it swiftly in his hand. No surprise. He's great like that.

"Alright, now," he said, tossing me the knife, "You try."

I did...a few times...with Kakashi saying, " Keep the path straight...Keep it straight..."

It was easier after about 45 minutes...and then Kakashi showed me one more technique: Tying it onto an imaginary string of chakra and skipping over it. I imagined another 'path' and 'attached' it to the knife to it by holding it in between a tiger jutsu hand signal and 'imagining' it connect to the knife. The technique itself was harder, but it was fun, sorta like skiprope.


"Alright," said Kakashi, closing out, "I'm going to show you how to deactivate the knife. It's similar to the way you activate a knife, but a little different. Now, hold it as you were going to activate it. Now, close you eyes and take breaths, but think of it as bringing chakra back into the knife."

I did so and the knife became stark still.

"Now, come back the next time and I'll show you more."

When Mom came, she asked me what this was about. I told her Kakashi was just showing me some new techniques and would be after every class. Mom said that was good and would build confidence in me. But, I was worried that mom would get suspicious.

"Of course not," said Kakashi, "As long as you keep your mouth shut about the sword...for now..."

The Legend of the Masho (Part 02) by Peach Tea Rose

Chapter 14

So, Kakashi showed me many different techniques over the course and then, one day, he said:

"Alright, you've learned a lot...but how much have you learned? I'm going to put you to the test tonight...at the lighthouse by the Lake. Be there..."

I nodded and left class.


Later, that night, I packed my weapons and dinner and went to the lighthouse. There was Kakashi, waiting with his knife.

"You ready for this?"

"Of course!"


"Okay, kid...remember...no holding back! Ready...set...GO!!!"

I managed pretty well. There were a few times where the knife near got me...and then came the intense part. I aimed the knife at Kakashi...but the knife came back and got me. The pain was so heavy that I collapsed...but I didn't back down. I got the last aim before I fell into my sensei's arms and all went black...


When I woke, I was in a hospital and I heard the furious voice of my mom yelling in spanish and Kakashi trying to calm her down. Then I saw my friend, Kioru... a guy looking down at me. He looked really weird...and I realized it was Kioru's uncle Gai!

'So, you're the kid that Kakashi's been training, huh," he said, "Well, you're pretty brave for going into his little lesson. You didn't succeed, but you had a lot of guts to get back up like that...and don't worry...you're mom's not that mad...she's really quite proud of you..."

That touched my heart. Kia was giddy.

"Woah, girl, that was so awesome! Keep it up!!!"

I smiled. I knew I had accomplished something good!


 

Please excuse the briefness of this chappie!

This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=2248