Kakashi you idiot! by naomi_sama
Summary: It all started during training. Kakashi absentmindedly had his nose in his book when he pissed off Sakura. And well...things go downhill from there. KakashixOC
Categories: OC-centric Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Shinobi Love, Pain, and Death
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 34604 Read: 16054 Published: 19/09/06 Updated: 04/01/07

1. Chapter 1 the girl in the woods. by naomi_sama

2. Chapter 2 Hospital Visit by naomi_sama

3. Chapter 3 Pay Back by naomi_sama

4. the rabbit that attacked Kakashi by naomi_sama

5. Chapter 5 by naomi_sama

6. Chapter 6 Kakashi's past by naomi_sama

7. Chapter 7 Kakashi's ALL MINE! by naomi_sama

8. Chapter 8 by naomi_sama

9. Chapter 9 I win by naomi_sama

10. Chapter 10 This is what happens when you drink!!! by naomi_sama

11. Chapter 11 The Morning After and the flying matress of DOOM by naomi_sama

12. Chapter 12 The Face behind the mask by naomi_sama

Chapter 1 the girl in the woods. by naomi_sama
Kakashi absentmindedly walked through the thick forest, nose buried in his book. Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto followed behind a ways. They were bickering with each other so he quickened his pace for some peace and quiet. There was no point in stopping them. A new argument would arise 5 minutes later anyway. Its been two years since he first met them and they havent changed one bit. Minus the raging hormones of 14- year -old teenagers. *cough cough PMSing Sakura cough cough* Had to add that.

He flipped the page and stared at the book, his half lidded eye scanning the page. Despite what people said about him, he enjoyed his Icha Icha Paradise series romance novels. They were a sort of release for him. Not only from training his students but also from the terrible missions the Hokage sends him on. They were his escape from the nightmares that resulted from those missions. Without them, he would have cracked long ago. Unfortunately, many people took him for a pervert because of it. But what does he care?

"Kakashi-sensei!"

A voice called out to him. He looked back. It was Sakura. She was running towards him while Naruto and Sasuke stayed behind. Naruto was yelling out in frustration at Sasuke, who replied in his cool, collected manner. Figures. Wait, why was Sakura approaching him? Usually she would be back there with the other two bakas, bickering away.

"Kakashi Sensei, how can you stand him? He wont SHUT UP!" She exclaimed, her face flushed with anger. She was obviously talking about Naruto.

Kakashi simply shrugged and returned to his book. He knew pretending to ignore her would make her angry but he found that prospect amusing. He was right about the angry part. He could sense how mad she was. Like a volcano about to erupt.

"You can never be serious, can you?" She snapped, eyes blazing.

He chuckled. Bad move. The volcano proceeded to erupt.

"Argh! You MEN are all the SAME!" She yelled. Before he could stop her, she leapt into the trees and took off into the forest, seething.

"Sakura, wait-- dammit!" Kakashi put away his book. Stupid girl. he thought. This was no place for a lower rank ninja to go off on her own. The forest was too dangerous. Many people from all different villages have entered the forest and never returned.

"Naruto, Sasuke!" He called. The two appeared at his side. Despite how hopeless they seem at times, when it comes down to it, you really can depend on them.sometimes er.okay, maybe not. But at the moment they were okay. Eheh. Okay, moving on.

"Whats up?" Naruto asked, glaring at Sasuke.

"Sakura just took off into the forest. I want you two to stick together and try to find her on foot. Ill look in the trees." With that said, Kakashi leapt into the thick branches of the trees and was gone. Naruto stared at the place he vanished, not quite registering what the jounin said. It hit him like a semi truck.

"Dont just stand there! Sakura's in trouble-hey! Wait for me!"

Sasuke, who was already leaving the trail and entering the trees, shook his head, a sweat drop forming at his temple. He's HOPELESS he thought.

--------------

Sakura stormed through the thick branches of the trees looking livid and she couldnt even remember what she was angry about! Figures. All that ran through her mind was that she wanted to get as far away from that particular group as possible. Shed had enough ofWhat the-- She froze and gasped when she came across a dead body. NoTWO dead bodies-three-four What the HELL? She entered a forest clearing that had bodies littering the ground in all directions. Most of them looked like normal people minus a ninja here and there. They were all armed, weather it be kitchen knives or Kunai. they were armed. Yeah did I mention they were dead?

"Sa-ku-ra!"

She heard her name being called but was in too much shock to respond. What could have happened here? Was all that was going through her mind as she stared at the carnage.

"Sakura! Where are you!"

The voice was closer now. It sounded like Naruto. An instant later, nearby bushes rustled followed by two people, Naruto and Sasuke, emerging from them.

"Yay! Sakuras okay!" Naruto cheered.

"Yeah, no shit, Sherlock. Where were you? We were worr-- whoa! What did you DO?" Sasuke said, staring at all the corpses.

"I didnt do anything, you brainless idiot. They were already dead when I got here." She replied savagely.

"Well, you didnt have to be mean about it."

"Wheres Kakashi?"

No sooner had she asked that then he leapt from the tree and landed near her. You could always count on Kakashi to make dramatic entrances. He was about to say something to Sakura when the smell of blood greeted his nostrils. He then noticed the dead bodies. He stared in silence. Naruto and Sasuke were quiet too.

"What happened here?" He asked in his usual have-all-the-time-in-the-world drawl.

Hed have to admit that this little incident surprised him but not so much that he had to lose his cool. Nope, not at all. It wasnt so much the fact they were dead that surprised him. What shocked him was that most of these people were completely normal and innocent civilians.which meant that there had to be a town nearby. But that cant be! he thought. There isnt a village mapped for this area unless... His visible eye widened considerably as a thought entered his mind. Before the three young genin could do or say anything to stop him, their sensei had leapt into the trees again without a word.

Sasuke, on the other hand, didnt even look fazed at the sight of all the dead bodies. On the contrary, he was calmly inspecting one of the ninjas. He finally spoke.

"This is odd."

"Whats odd?" asked Sakura, kneeling next to him. She liked being close to him. Even if he felt nothing for her.

"They all look to have been torn apart be a wild animal. But..."

"What kind of animal could have done this to a ninja?" She finished the sentence for him. A brooding look formed on his face. They sat in silence for a while. Well not really. They would have if Narutos voice hadnt pierced through the silence.

"Hey, guys! Over here!" The kitsune called from a little ways off. He must have wandered off on his own. He never was one for common sense

"Ugh. NOW what?" Sakura mumbled. Despite herself, her curiosity drove her to following Sasuke towards Narutos voice. The blonde haired genin came into view. He was bent over the form of another body, this time it was a girls. She looked to be in about her mid twenties. She didnt look that much older than them so she was probably 21 at most. She had long, dark brown hair in a high ponytail tied by a blue ribbon. She was definitely a ninja, for she had shuriken and kunai on her. Neither of the three genin could figure out what village she could be from. They didnt recognize the symbol on her forehead protector.

"Whats wrong?" asked Sasuke.

"Shes alive!" The smiling kitsune exclaimed. Sakura knelt down next to her.

"Shes in bad shape..." Sakura said, referring to the deep cuts and bruises all over her body. There was a large bruise on her temple area that must have been the source of her unconsciousness. "but she wont die. What should we do? We cant just leave her here."

"We should just wait for Kakashi to return." Sasuke replied, sitting on the ground and leaning on a tree trunk. "Just think of this as an opportunity to rest and get our strength back up. Weve been traveling for a while."

Not wanting to argue with the Uchiha anymore, Naruto sat on the ground smiling. Gotta hand it to him, he sure can stay cheerful in any situation. He looked at the unconscious girl on the ground and his cheeks tinted pink. He couldnt help but notice how pretty she was-whoa, there, Naruto. Shes too old for you anyway. Well, on with the story.

Narutos thoughts were interrupted as a puff of smoke signaled Kakashis return. He had a brief look on his face that was a mixture between confusion and disappointment. It was quickly replaced, however, by his usual lazy cheeriness.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto and Sakura said in unison. Sasuke merely stood up from his sitting position on the ground. Kakashis one-eyed gaze briefly passed over each of their faces before falling upon the unconscious girl where it lingered.

"Shes alive." The jounin said. Eye curved upward in a grin, he approached the girl and knelt beside her, which earned a few dubious stares from his students. Her forehead protector caught his eye and he removed it from her head before staring at it curiously. He tucked it into his shirt pocket before hoisting the girl onto his back, her head resting on his shoulder. "I suppose we should bring her along then. Shall we go?" he said, walking in the opposite direction from where they were headed earlier.

"Kakashi-sensei, what about the mission!" Sasuke exclaimed.

"This mission will have to be postponed. I need to speak with the Hokage." Kakashi replied. The three genin could only follow him dumfounded.

--------------

"And your sure of it?" The hokage asked, her eyes piercing into his with utmost seriousness. "After all, this was a pretty serious matter."

In reply, Kakashi reached into his pocket and pulled out the forehead protector he took from the girl. When they finally arrived at the village, Kakashi ordered his pupils to take her to the hospital for treatment. He, himself, refused to accompany them. The jounin refuses to enter a hospital unless absolutely necessary. So he proceeded to talk to the hokage, thus, landing him here. Okay, enough babbling. Back to the present. The hokage blinked and looked at the cloth in Kakashis hand. The symbol on the metal part was different then any she had ever seen before. Finally, she spoke.

"You will have to question her when she regains consciousness." She said, tearing her gaze away from the head band. She resumed reading what seemed to be an important document from the hidden mist village. They were causing trouble again as usual.

Kakashi blinked. "I have to?"

"Yes. You and I are the only ones who know of this."

"Well, why cant you do it?" The lazy jounin asked, smirking.

The hokage allowed a brief smile to cross her features before saying, "Because she is bound to want some answers as well and since you and your students are the one who found her, who better to give them to her? That, and I know how much you hate hospitals so Im sending you there as punishment for postponing you mission." She said this in a business-like tone. Kakashi started chuckling and scratched the back of his head.

"Youre a shrewd woman, you know that?"

"I try." she replied. "Oh, and be sure to report back to me once speaking with her."

"Hai."
Chapter 2 Hospital Visit by naomi_sama
Kakashi sat in a chair next to the hospital bed where the girl lay, nose buried in his book. He tried to focus on the contents on the pages but the fact of where he was still lingered in the back of his mind. Damn these hospitals! I should be enjoying reading this but I cant focus. I hope she wakes up soon.Now, I bet you are wondering why he hates hospitals so much. Yes? Well, Ill tell you. The reason is...drum roll .ITS A SECRET! MWAHAHAHAHAHA-hack cough.hahahahackahem. Sorry bout that. Im not weird all the time but I have my moments. Better to save the hospital thing for later. Anyways, lets continue with the story, shall we?

The girls wounds were all healed by the medic nins but she had yet to regain consciousness. That is, until now. Moaning, she slowly opened her eyes and stared at the hospital light above her bed, a look of confusion on her face. She blinked and sat up in the bed. Slowly, she took in her surroundings until her gaze met Kakashis.

Kakashi froze when her eyes locked with his visible one. They were the most intense blue he had ever seen. They were ringed with long, dark lashes that made them look bluer. Snapping himself out of his entranced state, he smiled and said, "Hey." Her shock finally wore off. She blinked.

"AIIIEEE!"

She rolled off the bed and landed with a loud thump on the hard floor. The blankets went with her. I think everyone in the village heard her scream, for everything went very quiet. On the other side of town, an ice cream vendor dropped a cone of ice cream in shock, causing the little kid he was serving to wail. Luckily for Kakashi, he saw it coming and plugged his ears ahead of time.

He chuckled as she slowly raised her head over the bed to glare at him.

"Who are you? Where the hell am I!?" she pointed a finger at him, as if accusing him of something.

"My names Kakashi, and you are in the hidden leaf village." He said pleasantly, returning to his book. This seemed to piss her off big time. She ran around the bed and grabbed him by the front of the shirt.

"Listen, you! Dont just brush me off like that! What the hell is going on here!?" She snarled. Her frown managed to deepen as she scowled. Kakashi sighed and put away his book. Just what I need. Another temperamental one.

"I should be asking you the same thing." He replied. "When we found you, you were unconscious among a mass of dead bodies." Her anger dissipated and turned to confusion. He continued. "Any idea how that happened?" The look on her face was answer enough.

"I guess not. What is the name of the village you came from? Where is it hidden?" She shook her head and backed away.

"I dont remember anything." She clenched her head. "WHY cant I remember?" Kakashi stared at her. He almost felt sorry for her. Almost.

"I see." he said seriously. "You must be suffering from amnesia. Do you remember your name?" She nodded.

"Maya." she said thoughtfully. "My names Maya. I cant remember my last name."

"Well, Maya. What DO you remember?" Kakashi wanted to get this over with as soon as possible so that he could get the hell out of there and report to the Hokage. That, and he was hungry. Ramen sounded pretty good at the moment.

Maya thought long and hard. What did she remember? She remembered a lot, actually. She remembered all the villagers and their names. She remembered that she was a medic nin too. She remembered that just days before she was helping with the chuunin exams. She remembered going on her first mission as a chuunin also. What she couldnt remember was all of the important things. Like her last name, the villages location and name, who the Hokage was, who her parents were She repeated her thoughts to Kakashi, who nodded.

"A jounin, huh? Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura are going to be taking their chuunin exams in a few months." He replied. His visible eye looked up as if he were in deep thought. "And I think Sakura wants to be a medic nin." WHO these people were she had no idea. Suddenly, she remembered something.

"I was banished." she said in a monotone sort of voice.

"What?" His visible eye widened and he looked at her.

"You heard me! I was banished from my village." She looked down. Whoa. This certainly is a change of events.

"Why?" He asked. Oh shit. he thought. I hope shes not some psychopath killer.(Me: XD)

"I cant remember that part very well. I think it was for something I didnt do." He sighed in relief at that. Maya punched the wall in frustration. Lets just say it left quite a dent.

"Dammit! Why cant I remember anything?" she buried her face in her hands and began to cry. Not sure what to say to comfort her, Kakashi left in a cloud of smoke.
Chapter 3 Pay Back by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
Okay, I got lazy, and didn't put quotation marks...I'll fix it later!
Disclaimer: Naruto belongs to some other people I dont know. Never met em.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 2- Payback

2 years later

Maya took her time in walking towards the training area. After all, Kakashi would be late as usual so why should SHE be on time. When Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto came into view, she waved at them cheerfully. Naruto and Sakura waved back while Sasuke merely stood there and looked at her coldly. This made her grin. Some things never change.

"Hey, Maya!" Naruto called.

"Hello, Naruto." Maya replied, trying to sound polite. Over the past few days, Naruto had developed a small crush on her. A crush that soon became annoying for he tended to switch back and forth between Sakura and her. Sakura was still hung up on Sasuke, of course.

All three of Kakashi's students were now Chuunin, which meant that they were being trained under Tsunade now. Once a week however, they meet up with their former sensei, Kakashi, for additional training. Maya was already a Jounin when she arrived at the village, but it was the Hokages wish that she trained with Kaakshi and then take the watch over the Hidden leaf villages chuunin exam with the other jounins. This made her a real member of the villages ninja. It was one of the rare occasions where a ninja cell had two sensei's instead of one. It so happened that the cell she was put in was team 7; meaning she would train with Kakashi with the others.

Maya was a bit apprehensive at first about staying at the village and becoming one of their ninja. But, after a bit of persuasion from the Hokage and Kakashi (with Naruto's help as well), she finally agreed. After all, she had nowhere else to go.

Finally, a full two hours late, Kakashi showed up.

"Youre late." the four said in unison. It was the same every week. Next comes the lame excuse.

"Oh, well I have a perfectly good reason this time." Kakashi said. There was a lot of eye-rolling at this. "As I was making my way over here, fully intending to be on time, mind you, I saw an old woman who--"

"Save it." The four of them cut him off. Yep. Same routine every time. Kakashis eye curved upward in a grin and he scratched the back of his head. Naruto then noticed that he was holding some sort of box that was making odd sounds.

"Whats that?" he pointed at the box. Kakashi put it down.

"Training is going to be a bit different today." He said, earning himself a few dubious stares.

Training was indeed different. Kakashi released 15 ferrets into the forest and they had to catch them all within a certain time limit. The one who catches the most ferrets would get a reward at the end. It seemed at first that it should be a genin practice but something about those ferrets were not normal. They were abnormally clever. Lets just say the young ninjas had a pretty hard time with it

"Times up!" Kakashi said into his transmitter. One by one, they exited the forest and stood next to Kakashi. Sakura had only caught two ferrets each and Naruto three. Sasuke caught the other 10, but...

"Sasuke, Im going to have to disqualify you." Kakashi said. He earned a cold glare from the Uchiha boy. "I told you to CATCH the ferrets. Not KILL them."

Sasuke dropped the bloody ferrets on the ground, retrieved his kunai from a few of them, and turned away sulking. Something about that makes me laugh. Damn. Im getting off the story again. Lets continue.

"I suppose that means Naruto wins today." Kakashi continued, reaching into his pocket. He brought out a package of.instant ramen! How cheap is that? Naruto didnt think so.

"Yes!" Naruto said and he caught the package Kakashi tossed him. "Can I go eat it now?"

"You are dismissed." Kakashi pulled out his book after saying this and walked off. Typical.

"Yay! Lunch time!" The kitsune boy cheered.

"Moron." Sasuke said coldly.

"Quit calling me that!"

"Then stop being one, Moron." The dark haired chuunin replied. He was obviously angry about losing. Not that he wanted the ramen or anything.He didnt even LIKE ramen that much. Just the fact that he lost to Naruto ticked him off.

Naruto and Sasuke walked towards the village, still bickering with each other. How the two 16-year-olds boys were friends is still a mystery.

Maya and Sakura were left alone. Over the past couple of years, the two girls had become very close. They usually hung out after practice, but...

"Hey, Maya". said Sakura. I have grocery shopping to do. "My cabinets are starting to get a little bare, if you know what I mean. Im gonna have to pass on hanging out today."

"Sure, thats fine." Maya replied, turning to the pink-haired chuunin. "By the way, have you heard anything about--"

"My parents? No." Sakura said, her mood dropping considerably. A few months ago, Sakuras parents had left town to visit some friends in a nearby village. On the way back from their visit, they, along with the ninja escorting them, had mysteriously disappeared. Search partied were sent, but they were no where to be found. They were proclaimed dead but Sakura still hadnt given up on them so Maya continued to support her the best she could. But anyway, Sakura had been living alone ever since.

"Ill talk to you later, Maya." The pink-haired chuunin said, turning to leave.

"Bye." Maya replied sadly.

She watched her friend walk away until she was out of sight. Then, a sweat drop formed on her head as she realized something. She was alone. NOW what? She could always just go back to her apartment but there was nothing to do there. Besides, it was only 1 oclock. She cursed to herself. "I should have offered to help Sakura with her grocery shopping." She looked around and spotted Kakashi in the distance.

He was sitting in the grass, his back leaned up against a tree. He was intently reading his Icha Icha paradise novel. Pervert. Oh, well. She had nothing better to do, anyway. She made her way over to him.

Maya sighed and sat down next to him without a word. The only acknowledgement he gave to her presence was a brief glance in her direction before returning to his book. She didnt mind, though. She didnt expect to converse with him anyway. It was very peaceful sitting in the damp grass like that. She smiled and looked up at the sky. The fluffy white clouds formed all kinds of odd shapes. She tried to make some of them out. A rabbita tree a birdKakashi? She saw one that resembled Kakashi a smiled. It looks kinda cu--

Whoa! She cried. No such thoughts shall poison my mind! Hes my FRIEND! She inwardly screamed, hitting herself repeatedly on the head.

Kakashi tensed when he felt someone approach him but relaxed when Maya's flowery scent reached his nostrils. He glanced at her briefly as she sat down but returned to his book immediately. He sensed her look up at the sky and wondered what she was doing. She was pretty strange sometimes. Speaking of strange, after a few moments of silence, he heard her exclaim whoa! Looking over, he saw her hit herself on the head several times. This caused him to chuckle.

Hearing the laugh, Maya turned her blue gaze in his direction and noticed that he was looking at her.

"What are YOU laughing at?" she snarled. He only grinned.

"No reason." He replied. "Why were you hitting yourself?"

"Shameful thoughts."

"Ah. I see." He smirked.

"Get whatever twisted thought you have out of you head." Maya said, noticing his smile. "I didnt mean it like that."

"I never said you did."

"You were thinking it."

"How do you know what I was thinking?"

"Y-You!" She exclaimed. Kakashi restrained himself from smiling. Making her angry was amusing.

After a long moment of silence (Kakashi had started reading again), Maya spoke in a much calmer voice.

"So, why were you really late? Where do you go all the time?" A brief frown appeared on Kakashis face but it was quickly replaced by a look of innocence.

"Go?" He said, turning towards her again. "I dont go anywhere. As I said earlier, the old lady--" He was interrupted by Mayas laughter.

"You really need to work on you lame excuses. She said between laughs. I mean really. Why are you ALWAYS late?"

In an attempt to anger her and make her forget about this onslaught of questions, he ignored her and began reading again. It worked.

"I HATE you and that sorry excuse for a book!" Maya exclaimed angrily. WHY do I even bother trying to have a conversation with you, you idiot!!!" Having said this, she stood up and leapt into the tree. She sat on a large branch and seethed. They stayed like that for a while; Kakashi reading and Maya scowling. Occasionally he turned a page and she shot him a glare of death here and there but other than that it was rather uneventful.

After a couple hours, Kakashi finally got up and stretched. He glanced up at Maya, who gave him a dirty look in return, before turning to walk back to the village for some food.

Maya actually felt a little sad when he left but she brushed it off. I dont like being around him. Nope. She assured herself. I just like company in general. Yeah, thats it. She leapt down from the tree and was about to leave when she noticed something that made her stop in her tracks. Kakashis book was laying on the ground next to the tree. He must have left it. She went and picked it up. Great. Now she had to go find him to return his book. Or maybe...

A mischievous grin passed over her face and all thoughts of returning it whisked away. A single word entered her mind: Payback. She was curious to see how long he could survive without his book. Hahaha. What now, baka-sensei?

--------------

CRAP. Kakashi thought, digging through his pockets and pouches. Sasuke, Naruto, and Iruka were all looking at him curiously.

"What are you looking for, Kakashi-sensei?" Naruto asked, mouth full of ramen noodles. Kakashi ignored him.

"My book! Where did it--" Kakashi stopped and took a deep breath. Okay. He just had to think. Where did he last see it? Oh, yeah! The tree. He calmly stood up and left the restaurant, oblivious to the stares he was getting from his friends. His walk quickened a little bit when he started to feel raindrops here and there. Aw, crap. Not only did I leave it on the ground, but its probably going to get washed away! When he made it out of the village, his cool, collected stride turned into a dash. Good job keeping your cool, Kakashi. Heh heh heh.

--------------

As Maya walked home, holding Kakashis book, a wave of curiousity passed over her. What was it about these books that he found so interesting? Smirking, she opened the novel to the first page and started to read. Hmmm Its not so bad she thought. A few moments later, her face was turning five different shades of red and the book slipped from her hands and fell onto the soft grass.

Kakashireads thisin PUBLIC?

Mind still reeling from what she read, she began to yell.

Kakashi, you perverted BASTARD!

--------------

As the silver-haired jounin made his way over to the tree where he left his precious Icha Icha Paradise, he heard someone yell something about a pervert in the opposite direction. Curious as he was to find out what it was, he was on a mission. Well not a REAL mission but you know what I mean. Okay, moving on.

To Kakashis dismay, when he reached the tree the book was nowhere to be found. He cursed. What was he supposed to do now? Wait Maya was there while he was reading Maya was there when he left. Maybe

Smirking, and with a new lead, he made his way over to Mayas apartment.

--------------

Maya sighed and looked at her clock. It was already 7 oclock. Supposing that maybe it would be a good idea to eat something, she entered her kitchen. She stared inside her almost empty refrigerator, a sweat drop forming on her head. Maybe she SHOULD have gone grocery shopping with Sakura. Shrugging, she pulled out a can of soda and a bag of chips. Good as any. She munched on potato chips for a while but her meal was interrupted by a small noise coming from her bedroom/ living room combo. Talk about cheap. Oh, well. She got along with it just fine. She always made sure it was clean and she decorated it pretty nice. Her walls were painted a light blue and her bedding was in various shades of blue and violet. Whoa. Way off topic there. Grabbing her kunai off the counter, she snuck into the living room.

Everything seemed to be normal. She stood in the center of the living room and looked in all directions. Nothing. She was about to return to the kitchen when she heard the noise again. Realizing it was coming from her window, she whipped around and was faced with.Kakashi? What the heck!

Indeed, the silver-haired man was peeking through her window, tapping it lightly with his forefinger. That must be where the noise was coming from.

"Kakashi! What the heck do you think you are doing here!" She shrieked, knocking over a lamp. He smirked and signaled for her to open the window. She complied reluctantly and he entered the room. Does he ever use a door?

"What do you want?" She asked, attempting to sound polite. He was looking around the room with a curious look on his face.

"Nice place." he said pleasantly. "I wondered if you were organized. This pretty much answers it."

"Thanks." She smiled, forgetting the fact that Kakashi, was in HER room. Wait a second Switch back to angry mode. "What do you want?" She repeated. She had a feeling why he was here.

"My book." He said, still gazing around.

"What book?" Maya asked innocently, her face matching her voice. A face he saw through easily.

"The one you have." He looked at her this time. "My Icha Icha Paradise. I accidentally left it by the tree and you were there when I left. I know you have it." She smiled.

"Yep, you got me. Youll never find out where I put it."

"Oh, really?" He smirked. "So, if I happened to walk over to your desk and look into the drawer it wouldnt be there?"

"How in the world--"

Before it could even fully register in her mind that he had known EXACTLY where she put it, he began walking towards her desk. She beat him. Opening the drawer and grabbing the book, she used her ninja speed to leap towards the window.

"Come and get it, Ka-ka-shi!" She teased, leaping out the window.

Kakashi stood there in shock, not sure exactly what happened. She was messing with him? He smirked. Does she really think she can outrun me? With that thought fresh in his mind, he leapt out the window after her.

Maya sensed that the jounin was catching up, so she entered the forest and leaped into a tree. She was a master at hiding herself. She could go up to 5 minutes holding her breath and could disguise her chakra easily. Sitting on a sturdy branch, her back against the trunk to support herself, she didnt so much as blink.

Kakashi smirked when he saw her enter the forest. There was no way she would get away from him in there. No matter how much she tried. He ran into the forest and halted. He couldnt sense her anywhere! Clever girl must have learned to disguise her chakra. He grinned. Hed just have to rely on his secret weapon his sense of smell.

Her flowery scent was easy to find. He glanced up and saw her in a tree, her eyes closed. Deciding that scaring her would prove to be amusing, he sneakily leapt up into the tree next to hers and then silently moved to the same branch she was on. She didnt notice him. Leaning in, he put his face right next to her ear and...

"Boo!" He yelled.

"Aii-ya!" Maya shrieked, nailing her head on the tree trunk. "You so mean Kakashi!" She rubbed the back of her head gingerly. He laughed.

"So I win. Can I have my book back now?" He asked, backing away. Slightly.

Trying not to blush at their closeness, Maya plastered a mischievous look on her face.

"Why, Kakashi, Im afraid you are looking in the wrong place." He quirked an eyebrow when she said this. "You see, I hide it somewhere else on the way here."

Kakashi easily saw through this lie. Smirking slightly, he closed the already close space between them and put his mouth next to her ear. She inhaled sharply.

"Tell me the truth." he said, amusement etched into his voice. He chuckled at her embarrassment.

"What the heck is funny now!?" She said angrily. She was a bit nervous. I mean, this was Kakashi. Her friend. The perverted one. She tried to back away. Unfortunately, the Laws of Nature were against her going through the tree trunk, so she was pretty much trapped.

He pulled away from her ear and looked her in the face.

"You know, youre cute when youre angry but you are a lot more pretty when you smile." He resisted a laugh when she turned bright red. He wasnt trying to seduce her or anything. He wasnt like that. He was just trying to throw her off so that he could get his book back. Yeah, thats it. He looked into her eyes. Bad move. He was immediately entranced, losing himself in the deep blue pools of her eyes. Her thick, dark lashes ringed her eyes and gave them a nice effect. He suddenly had the urge to kiss her?

No, you idiot! Look away! the more rational side of his mind cried.

Her eyes are so nice

No! Moron! Look away! Save yourself!

I want...

No! You dont! Blink! Blink!

Is her eyes getting closer?

Stop! Stop leaning in! Youre going to--

Too late. He leaned in too far, causing something majorly awkward to happen. Well, his mask was still on, so maybe it didnt really count. But at the same time Ugh! There I go again. Okay. This is what happened: He kissed her.

Dammit! he thought numbly.

Maya, momentarily too shocked to do anything except stare, froze. Whatthe? Is he? Is he KISSING me? Nah This is KAKASHI were talking about. But then why is heOMG! Her inner mind screamed.

Kakashi, despite being completely dazed with shock, took this opportunity to reach into Mayas pocket and pull out his book. At least the rational part of his mind had SOME say in his actions. She didnt notice. Finally, after about 10 mind-numbing seconds, he pulled away. Maya was still staring at him in shock.

Crap crap crap. He had to think of something to cover up his actions. ANYTHING. Suddenly hit with an idea, he backed away. Eye curved up in a grin, he held the book up for her to see.

"I win."

Those two words snapped her out of her dazed state.

"You--you.." She began, clenching her fists and shaking.

"I what?" He asked innocently.

"you BASTARD!" She brought her fist up and laid it across his face. In other words, she slugged him. Hard. Well hard enough to make him fall out of the tree anyway. Whether because he thought he deserved it or he wasnt expecting it, he did nothing to block or dodge it. He lay on the forest floor motionless. Not that he was unconscious or anything, but rather he was going over the last several moments in shockor maybe he was just unconscious. Hard to tell.
the rabbit that attacked Kakashi by naomi_sama
"THAT KAKASI IS GONNA PAY!" Maya yelled, punching the counter and leaving a dent. The entire restaurant went eerily silent. Even the restaurant owner was too terrified to remark on the damage to his counter. Naruto was now choking on Ramen noodles while Sakura, Sasuke, and Iruka merely stared. Sakura was the first to speak.

"Maya, what--"

Before she could finish talking, Maya let out a cry of frustration and stormed out of the building angrily, knocking over and demolishing chairs as she went. Sakura looked at Naruto, who shrugged. Something was up. She could feel tenseness coming from Maya all day and she was sure the others felt it too. They were just waiting for her to crack.

"Sakura--" The others began. The pink-haired girl cut them off.

"I know. I know." She said irritably, rising from her seat. Ill talk to her. She left the restaurant without another word. A few silent moments passed. Then

"Hey, Sasuke, wanna spar?" Naruto asked, ramen bowl licked clean.

"Whatever." Sasuke replied, standing up. The two left the Restaurant, bickering again.

Iruka was left alone. As he sat there eating, unsure what he should do, it dawned on him. He was left paying. AGAIN. Poor guy.

--------------

Maya jumped when she heard her doorbell ring. She had been looking out her open window and plotting the best way to kill Kakashi. First Kakashi defiles her, and now someone expected her to talk to them. Grumbling, and wondering who could have possibly made her day worse, she opened the door and was faced withdrum roll DUH. Sakura, of course. Did I have you going there? Ahem.

"What do you want?" Maya snapped.

"Well I have a certain friend who threw a hissy fit randomly in a restaurant before storming out and I would like to know why." Sakura replied casually, letting herself into her friends apartment. She entered the kitchen and retrieved two sodas from the refrigerator.

"Its none of your business." Maya replied coldly.

"First of all, I did nothing to you, so I would appreciate it if you would stop taking everything out on me." Said Sakura. "Second of all, you look as if you need to get something off your shoulders. Talk to me." She handed her one of the sodas. They looked at each other hardly for a long moment. Maya sighed.

"Im sorry." She said, accepting the soda. "I shouldnt have been so rude."

"You are forgiven. Now spill."

"Fine."

--------------

Kakashi entered the Hokages office in his usual lazy stroll, several hours late. Some things never change.

"About time." Tsunade said, glancing up at him. "I was just wondering how late you were going to be this time." Before Kakashi could start in one of his lame excuses, Tsunade stood up and sighed deeply.

"You probably already know why I called you here." She said.

"I have an idea, yeah." He smirked. "Cant someone else do it?"

"Kakashi, I know how much you hate this, but you are the best man I have."

"I understand. What class?"

"A-class. And its a solo mission. She handed him a rolled up piece of parchment. Your instructions are all inside of that. Be careful. Report back immediately upon return."

"I will." he turned to leave but was stopped by a much more amused Hokage.

"By the way, what happened to your face?" Tsunade asked. "Your eye is as black as your mask."

"A rabbit."

"Are you telling me a rabbit gave you a black eye?" Tsunade asked, a sweat drop forming on her head. She couldnt help but wonder where he got his excuses.

"Yes, actually." He said with false dignity. "The rabbit just happed to be exceptionally strong and temperamental."

"You are dismissed." Tsunade rolled her eyes.

Kakashi bowed quickly before exiting the room. When he left the building, he blinked into the bright sun. As he walked to who knows where, he pulled out the parchment, unrolled it, and began to read.

Crap. he thought. This is gonna be a tricky one. He was planning on going to his house to prepare for the trip when he passed a flower vendor. The blossomy smell reached his nostrils and he was suddenly reminded of Maya.

She smells good. he thought, remembering the day before.

No. Stop thinking about her. Youll only make things worse. The logical part of his brain commanded.

He was so wrapped up in his thoughts, he didnt even notice that he was approaching someone. That is, until he collided with her.

The girl looked to be about 19 or 20 with shoulder-length bright red hair. She had a lot of freckles and looked to be a little shy and timid. She was fairly pretty, though. When she and Kakashi collided, a bunch of medicines and books fell from her arms. She was obviously a Medic nin in training. She probably knew Maya, for she was training to become one too.


paragrapgh breaker.
Sorry. She mumbled, kneeling down to pick up her stuff. She appeared to be distracted by something because she didnt even glance at him. Figuring it would be impolite to leave while she cleaned a mess that was partially his fault, he bent down and helped her. It was then she finally looked at him. Her eyes were green. Now that she was looking at him, he did remember seeing her around. But they had never spoken before. She turned slightly red.

Ka Kakashi-san! She exclaimed. He quirked an eyebrow. Im so sorry! I didnt know it was you! She picked her stuff up at top speed. Frowning, he handed her the books he was holding.

How do you know my name? he asked. She turned redder and became a little flustered.

U-uhm Everyone knows you! Your one of the top Jounin in the village.

Oh.right. He replied.

The red-headed girl stood up quickly, and, bowing, left quickly without another word. He stood up and stared at her departing figure.

Hmmmm strange girl. I forgot to ask for her nameHe shook his head to clear his thoughts. It was of no matter. Besides, he had a mission to concentrate on a mission he was dreading. Shit.

--------------

Are you SERIOUS? Sakura exclaimed. KAKASHI did that?

Yes, now be quiet. I dont want the whole village to know! Maya replied.

Well, how was it? Is he a good kisser? Sakura asked cheerfully. Maya merely glared at her.

I think you are getting off point here. The 18-year-old said. Kakashi, my SENSEI, just KISSED me!

Ah. Right. The pink-haired chuunin frowned. What do you think it meant?

Meant? Its didnt MEAN anything! Maya cried in frustration. Why do you think Im so pissed off? He was just trying to catch me off guard so he could get that stupid book of his back. That bastard stole my first kiss and he wasnt even serious!

Yes, I understand why you are angry, but what if the whole I win thing was just a way to cover up for what he did? Sakura mused. What if it really means something? Maya stared in disbelief.

..Thats crazy.

Yeah. youre right. Sakura laughed. Oh! And I have another question.

What? Maya asked suspiciously.

What does his face look like? Sakura said excitedly. Maya fell over Anime-style. Whatthe hell?

What kind of question is that?

Aw, cmon! Sakura laughed. Nobody has ever seen him without that mask on! You cant blame me for being curious.

Fine. If you must know, I didnt see his face. He kept his mask on when he kissed me. Maya replied indignantly.

..he doesnt even take it off for THAT! Sakura cried.

I guess not. They both sat there in silence, unsure of what to say. Finally, Sakura spoke.

Hey, I have an idea! I couldnt help but notice how empty your refrigerator is. How bout if we go get you some food before you starve to death? Maya started laughing.

Good idea. She replied.

Lets go then!

--------------

A mission? Naruto and Sasuke said in unison.

Yeah. Kakashi sighed. Ill be gone for a while so our weekly training will have to be canceled this Saturday.

Thats weird. Naruto said through a mouthful of ramen. Yes, they were back at the Restaurant again. Narutos stomach is a bottomless pit. You havent been sent on a mission like this for a long time. Whats this mission about, anyway?

That, Im afraid, is classified. Kakashi replied, grinning. Say Wheres Maya and Sakura? I need to tell them that practice is canceled.

Kakashi frowned when he noticed that Sasuke was smirking and Naruto was laughing. What the---

Maya went crazy and started breaking things! Naruto said, pointing at damaged chair and counter. Something about a pervert. She ran out and Sakura went to talk to her.

Kakashi smirked. She must still be mad about what happened the day before. Saying a quick goodbye to his two students, he left the restaurant and headed towards Mayas place.

At Maya's House
Thanks, Sakura. Maya mumbled, stopping in front of her apartment door.

Hey, dont worry about it. Sakura smiled. Im sure everything will be alright. Kakashis not a bad person. Its dark outside so I should head home Ill see you later.

Yeah. Im really tired so I think Ill go to sleep early tonight. Bye. The two friends hugged briefly.

Sakura climbed back down the stairs and left the apartment complex. Maya unlocked her door and entered her pitch black apartment. She attempted to flip the light switch. Unfortunately, her hands were full of grocery bags so her attempt failed.

She made her way through the dark and, entering the kitchen, she put the bags on the counter. She turned the kitchen light on but when she went and turned the main rooms light on.um. Lets just say she had a little surprise.

When the light went on, Mayas eyes widened when she saw someone sitting on her window sill. Thats creepy. And that person was none other than Kakashi himself.

Ka-Kakashi! WHAT do you think you are doing in MY APARTMENT? Maya exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger at him.

Relax. I have a perfectly good reason for being here. he said innocently.

YouIYouWHAT!

Shhhh. Youll wake up everyone in the building. said Kakashi. Now, as I was saying, I was passing by and I couldnt help but notice that your window had been carelessly left open.

So you went in? Maya cried. Why?

Well, since it was open, I thought I should wait here until you got back so that no burglars could rob you.

.why couldnt you just close the window?

Has anyone ever told you that you over think things? he asked, a sweat drop forming on his head. Maya rolled her eyes.

Why are you really here? she asked angrily.

Okay, okay. You got me. He said, holding his hands out as if to surrender. But it wasnt a total lie. Your window WAS left open. You shouldnt be so careless.

There was something different in his voice that she couldnt quite decipher. Was it concern? Nah she mentally shook her head. This is KAKASHI. The lazy, emotionless pervert. He could never care for anyone. She then, noticed the bruise over his eye. She inwardly grinned.

Okay, so what do you want? She tried not to sound too smug about hitting him. But the grin kind of gave it away.

Oh, I came to tell you that practice is canceled this week. Kakashi replied, looking around her room once again.

Why! Maya exclaimed.

Your reaction is the exact same as Naruto. He said, amusement in his tone. Tsunade is sending me on a mission. He jumped down from the windowsill and stood on the carpeted floor.

Mission? What do you have to She went silent when she realized that he was sitting on her floor with his nose buried in one of his Icha Icha books. Figures. Wait a second. That book was oddly familiar. It was the same as the one That asshole! she thought, remembering what happened the day before.

YOU! She yelled, grabbing him by the front of his vest and pulling him to his feet. If he was surprised, he didnt show it. He just looked at her lazily with his half-lidded eye.

Who the hell do you think you are? she exclaimed, yelling in his face. First you steal my first kiss and then you just let yourself into my apartment! Kakashi smirked.

Is that what you are angry about? He asked innocently. This only made her more pissed. As if he didnt know! At least I had my mask on when

Thats beside the point! The fact is, you still-- huh! One moment, she had been clenching the front of his vest. An instant later, she was staring at nothing and grabbing air. How did--

She looked around wildly but couldnt find him anywhere. He must have left through the window.

Argh! That bastard! Maya turned around to go put away the groceries when she bumped into something soft and warm It smelled really good. Like trees or a forest. It took all the willpower she had not to lean into the comforting warmth. She forced herself to look up and see who or what she had run into. It was none other than Kakashi. There was something about his eyes that made her feel strange. He lookedconfused? No. Thats not the right word She didnt know what it was. They were very close and this made her uncomfortable. She took a small step back. They stared into each others eyes for several long moments. Finally, she broke eye contact with him.

Why are you still here? she asked. There was a long moment of silence. Maya was staring at the floor and Kakashi at her. She could feel his penetrating gaze. She started when she felt his hand on her face. She looked up from the floor and locked eyes with him again. His warm fingers gently traced along her slender jaw line. Maya was having mixed emotions. She didnt know if she should back away or yell again so she just stood there, motionless.

Suddenly, as if awakening from a trance, he backed away abruptly. Without another word, he leapt out the window and was gone. Maya remained where she was, touching the spot on her cheek where his fingers were moments before. He was so gentle.

What happened?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Chapter 5 by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
Too lazy to fix quotation marks! *laugh* I'll fix it later.
Kakashi limped through the forest, beads of sweat covering his body. His clothes were torn in many places and stained with blood. There was a gaping wound in his stomach. He tried to patch it up the best he could but mere seconds later it had bled through the bandages and soaked his clothes. There was also a wound in his right leg so he was having trouble walking on it. More than once, he ended up losing his balance and falling to the forest floor. He assumed he had a concussion because his head was splitting open with pain. Not to mention the countless bruises and cuts he had all over his body. All in all, he was in pretty bad shape to say the least.

As his face paled even more with the loss of blood, he thought back to the last time he was with Maya. He smirked as her angry face popped into his mind. Suddenly, he frowned.

No. Stop thinking about her. Shes nothing. he thought.

Thats not true. Shes something alright... the more perverted side of his mind said.

Dont think about her that way! Shes you friend!

your very HOT freind.

THATS BESIDE THE POINT!

"Shut up, both of you!" Kakashi yelled. (rabbits and birds looked over at him and murmured to each other about psychos who talk to themselves) "Your giving me a headache!" Ummm you can ignore this paragraph if you want. I was kinda weird when I wrote it.

Thats it. he thought. Im just not gonna think anymore. Yeah, thats it. No more thinking. With that thought fresh in his mind, he focused all his being on getting back to the village so that he could see Mayas angry face again.

--------------

Maya and Sakura were walking on the dirt path along the villages main street. They had just got back from their lesson with Tsunade so they were trying to find something to do.

"Hey, how long do you think Kakashi is going to be gone?" Sakura asked. "Its been two weeks already. Do you think everything is alright?"

Maya shrugged. "I dunno."

"Hey, did you here that he has a whole new fan club of girls now?" Maya choked on her soda.

*cough* "WHAT?" *cough*

"Its true! Remember Maiyuko Akira? The redhead with the freckles?" Sakura continued. Maya nodded. "Well, she and her friends are practically obsessed with him. I guess they have a thing for older guys."

"Where did you hear this, anyway?" Maya asked doubtfully.

"Nobody told me, really..." Sakura replied. "I just always hear them talking about how perfect he is. Maya rolled her eyes."

"They must be crazy!" she exclaimed. "I can understand Sasuke having a fan club, but Kakashi?"

"Hey, thats a little harsh." said Sakura. "I think Kakashi is very attractive. Hes just a little odd at times. For all we know, he could be really hot under that mask!"

"What ever. Lets change the subject." Maya replied. Sakura noted the irritability in her friends voice. Could it be jealousy? The pink-haired girl smirked at that thought.

"What are you smiling about?" Maya asked suspiciously.

"Nothing." Sakura laughed. "Lets get something to eat!"

--------------

I will have him! she thought wildly. She had been crushing on him for several years, never having the guts to do anything. But now, Maiyuko was going to take action. Mwahahaha!

It is little known, but the sweet and shy girl she seemed to be was only an act. On the inside, she was a shrewd and calculating 19-year-old.

Hey, Maiyuko, when do you think Kakashi-san will be back? her friend Arimi said. Arimi had long, light brown hair and brown eyes. She was very soft spoken.

I dont know, hes been gone too long! Maiyuko exclaimed. If he doesnt come back soon, Im going to go find him! If anyone has so much as scratched him, Im going to-- mmphf! two hands, belonging to Arimi and her other friend, Rin, closed over her mouth.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, Mai-Mai. Rin said, smirking. Hes one of the top jounin in the village. Im sure hes okay. Besides, youll draw a crowd if you keep shouting. Rin was the jokester of the group with short, bobbing black hair and blue eyes.

Do not mock me! You filthy work monkeys will all die! I will.. Etc etc.

((Authors note: Invader ZIM action.))

Arimi and Rin ignored her ranting and began talking to each other seriously.

He HAS been gone fore a while. Do you really think hes okay? I heard he was on a dangerous mission for Tsunade-san. Arimi said.

Really? I heard he left the country to get a sex change. Rin replied thoughtfully.

Are you SERIOUS?

Nah Im kidding. As for Kakashi, Im sure hes okay. At least I hope so. If not, Id hate to be around when the wrath of Maiyuko is released into the open.

Yeah no kidding.

--------------

.so the mission was a failure? Tsunade asked seriously. The silver-haired jounin nodded, blood dripping on the floor.

Well, Im glad you are alive, but you are far from being fine. Im surprised you were able to make it to the village. Let me take you to the hosp--

No, Im fine. he said with a wave of his hand. This is hardly bad enough for--

Kakashi Hatake, do not lie to me. Tsunade said hardly. If you die from this. Please, let me take you. She knew how much he hated going to the hospital but she wasnt about to have one of her ninja die for it.

Fine. He said simply.

W-What? Now, THAT was unexpected. Who are you and what have you done with Kakashi? He laughed at her words, causing him to wince.

Ill go, but I dont need you to take me. I can get there myself.

Are you sure? Id really rather--

Im sure. His voice was firm.

Very well. the hokage sighed. You are dismissed.

He bowed, or at least tried to, and left.

As he walkedor limped down the street, he couldnt help but notice that a lot of people were looking at him. Wait, scratch that. More like they were bluntly staring. Weather because the loss of blood slowed his brainpower, or he was just plain stupid, he couldnt figure out why they were staring.

Thinking that maybe his mask had fallen off, he panicked and reached up to check, causing him to lose him balance and fall over. He winced as he hit the ground. Several people were at his side instantly.

Are you okay, Hatake-san? Youre bleeding! An old man said. Oh. THATs what they were staring at. Should I call for a doctor?

No. the stubborn jounin said, slowly and painfully standing back up. He noticed that many people were whispering to each other and throwing him looks. This is nothing serious. I have bandages and stuff at home so Ill be fine.

Are you sure? A woman next to him said. You look in pretty bad shape

Yes, Im sure.

He felt a little guilty about disobeying the hokage and not going to the hospital like he said he would. But he would rather die like this than return to that damned place. Maybe die isnt the right word to use this situation, but yeah.

--------------

He WHAT! Maiyuko screamed, dropping her bag of groceries.

You heard me! Kakashi-senseis dying! a young boy said, excitement in his voice. I saw it! He was bleeding and stuff! It was cool!

Uh-oh. Rin and Arimi said in unison.

Kakashi! Maiyuko took off in the direction of the silver-haired jounins house, running over the little boy as she went. Hang on, Kakashi! Im coming!

--------------

Maya was sitting by the river and watching the fish swim through the water. She was having mixed feelings about many different things. Her thoughts mostly dwelled on Kakashi but she depended on her good friend, anger when it came to him.

How dare he even THINK about touching me? she thought. He will pay!

Damn you, Kakashi! she exclaimed, standing up! Im going to KILL y--

uh Excuse me, Miss. She turned and saw two ninja wearing all black. They were looking at her warily.

May I help you? She asked politely, looking from one to the other. One of the men cleared his throat in a professional way. He reached into his messenger bag and pulled up a rolled up scroll.

This was sent by the hokage. She wishes you to investigate something immediately.

Me? Why me? Maya took the scroll, frowning.

Tsunade-san says that she needs someone who has at least a little training in the medic field That, and she says you have the attitude for handling this situation. The other ninja said, smirking. Maya sweat dropped. She wasnt sure if she should take that as a complement or an insult

What do I have to investigate? She asked curiously.

Your instructions are inside the scroll.

Frowning, she looked down at the scroll in her hands. She unrolled it. What could the hokage need her to investigate? Mayas jaw dropped as she read the scroll:

Kakashi Hatake has returned from his mission
in critical state. I instructed him to get immediate
treatment from the hospital but I am doubtful that
he listened. Please go to his house and see how he's faring. He looks to have suffered a serious woundto the stomach and was bleeding profusely when I last saw him. I fear the worst. Please investigate immediately.

- Tsunade

Without a second thought, Maya took off in the direction of the village.

--------------

When Kakashi had finally gotten home, his vision was starting to get blur and he felt dizzy. He also had a searing headache that wasnt helping in the least. He had a flashback of the previous battle. After the wound was inflicted on his stomach and leg, his movements and senses were slowed so he was unable to keep track of his opponent the entire time. He remembered being thrown back with an inhuman force and was sent hurtling head-first through several trees, causing him to be knocked unconscious. That must have been how he got this concussion.

He made his way into the living room and collapsed on the couch. Just a little rest is what he needed. He could treat his wounds later.they could wait.yeah.

The doorbell rang. Damn. He couldnt ignore it. If he did, everyone would probably assume he was dead. It rang again. And again. And again. And. Are they ringing on the doorbell and pounding on the door at the same time?

Indeed, it sounded as if someone were trying to break down the door.

He got up dizzily and made his way over to the door. Unlocking the door and opening it slowly, he looked out to see who it was, and got the wind painfully knocked out of him.

Thinking he was under attack, he reached for his Kunai but stopped short when he recognized the flowery scent of Maya.

Maya could have jumped for joy when the door finally opened after her assault on the doorbell. When Kakashis familiar face was in view, she threw her arms around him and buried her face in his shoulder.

Kakashi! I was so scared! I thought you were dead! She exclaimed.

Kakashi was having mixed feelings besides pain, of course. She was worried about me? he thought doubtfully.

Maya was beyond freaking out. She had been so afraid that he was dead and that she was going to find his corpse laying in his living room, and now seeing him standing before he alive made her feel such relief, it exploded in her gut. But something was confusing her. Why should she care if hes dead or not? Shouldnt she be angry at him? And is she HUGGING him! Turning bright red, she released him and backed away from him as if he were infected with an incurable disease, which, for all she knew, he was. Not sure which emotion to choose from, she decided on her most familiar one. anger.

You baka! What the hell were you thinking? I thought you were dead and-- She went silent as she realized something and looked down. Her shirt was soaked with blood. Not her blood. Kakashis. She looked at him closely. Even though most of his face was hidden behind the mask, she could see how pale he was from the loss of blood. His clothes were practically torn to shreds and he was covered with cuts and bruises. He looked to be bleeding majorly in the stomach area.

Kakashi youre hurt. She said softly. She placed a hand on his forehead and recoiled. He was burning up!

Im fine. He said. In fact, I was just about to patch it upwhenyou uhhnn A blank look passed over his face before he blacked out. He landed with a hard thump on the floor. Maya let out a cry of shock and kneeled down next to him. His breathing was shallow. Without a second thought, she pulled off his shirt and vest but was faced with a shock. His arms, chest, and stomach were all covered in horrible battle scars. She had never seen anything like it before. He had obviously see a lot of battles in his lifetime. Pushing the surprise from he head, she put her hands over the wound on his stomach and channeled as much of her chakra into that one spot as she could.

Please, dont die she mumbled.
Chapter 6 Kakashi's past by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
Geez...I really need to update more often...R/R!!!
Aww...such a sad chapter!!! T_T Had to do a lot of research on Kakashi's background for this.
Maiyuko was running at top speed towards Kakashis house. Rin and Arimi were struggling to keep up.

Dont worry, Kakashi! Im coming to rescue you she thought desperately. She sped up when his house came into view that is, until she tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and did a face-plant.

"Real smooth, Mai-Mai." Rin said, laughing as she and Arimi stopped on either side of her.

"Shut-up, Rin!" Maiyuko replied, hoisting herself up off the ground with Arimis help. "Like youve never done it."

"Not like that." She laughed. "At least I can catch myself before impact."

"Why you--"

"Hey, shouldnt we be going to see Kakashi?" Arimi said, breaking up the argument between her two friends. Maiyuko gasped.

"Oh, yeah! Kakashi needs me...Whos that?" She pointed to a girl running for the same destination. She was very pretty with long, dark hair tied by a blue ribbon. The girl stopped in front of Kakashis door and pounded on it while ringing the doorbell. There was something about her Maiyuko didnt like.

"Hmmm isnt her name Maya?" Rin said, staring hard.

"I think so." Arimi replied curiously. "Whats she doing here?"

"I dont care what she here for!" Maiyuko said fiercely, walking once again towards Kakashis house. "Thats not going to stop me from-" She went silent and stopped in her tracks as the door opened and Maya embraced Kakashi.

"Wow." Arimi said. Do you think they're..." she trailed off.

"Damn. Hes taken." Rin mumbled. "Ah, well. Lets get something to eat. Cmon, Maiyuko."

Maiyuko was shaking with anger as she was literally dragged away by her friends.

That wench! she thought wildly. She probably seduced him into dating her! But no matterTheres no way Ill let her have him!


~*~
He was only three when it happened. In my opinion, three is way two young of an age to lose someone, let alone losing three.

His older brother, Kyoshi, was never a healthy person. He was constantly sick and was never able to train as a ninja because of it. He died when he was only eight.

Everyone took it hard but none so much as Kakashis mother. Within 6 months, she had wasted away and had to be hospitalized. She died a month later. Kakashi remembered how angry he was. He had always been told that hospitals were supposed to help people, so why didnt it help his mother?

His father, on the other hand, was shunned by the entire village because of past mistakes. He had broken the rules and abandoned a mission to save his friends. Unfortunately, this cost the village many ninja. He was hated and tormented by everyone, even the ones he had risked his life to save. The only thing keeping him from losing himself to guilt was his wife, and when she died, it made him weak of mind and body and ultimately led him to suicide. Because of this, Kakashi was strict about rules and regulations so that he would never end up like his father.

Kakashi was left alone. No family. No one to take care of him. Most of the village treated him horribly because of his father's actions. He had to look after himself at such a young age.

At age four, he began studying as a ninja. His teachers called him a prodigy and he graduated from the ninja academy at age 6. He was only 8 when he became a chuunin. Because of his extraordinary talent at such a young age, he was trained under Yellow Flash, the future forth hokage.

Despite his talent and cuteness, yes, cuteness. Picture a little Kakashi! I think its adorable! Whoaway off topic. Anyways, despite his talent, Kakashi didnt have a single friend. Everybody either feared him or thought of him as a rival. Most feared him, though.

"Hey, did you hear? That Hatake kid is a chuunin now. And to think he's such a little kid..."

"Do you think he's a demon?"

"Did you hear what his father did?"

"He should be killed before he turns on us."

"He's a demon. I know it."

That was what he usually heard when walking down the street. Demon Demon Demon. Because of this, he became very distant and discreet about everything, even himself. It was then that he started wearing a mask. Well, there was another reason for that but I won't go into detail just yet. Ah, suspense.

Nobody treated him like a real human except one person. He met her when he was just 13 years old. Her name was Kei.

Kakashi remembered when he first laid eyes on her. He had finished training and was sitting in the grass by a river. The cherry blossom trees surrounding the area were in full bloom. He thought nothing could be as beautiful as she could with her long, blonde hair and big brown eyes. His heart was pounding in his chest when he saw her approach him. What was this new feeling inside him?

"Hi. Why are you sitting here by yourself?" She asked, taking a seat in the grass next to him.

"What do you want." He said coldly, not looking at her. The past several years had made it hard to trust anybody.

"Nothing really." She seemed unfazed by the iciness in his voice. "I'm Keiko Saianji, by the way. I'm a genin here." Kakashi merely ignored her and gazed unblinkingly at the river. This made her snap.

"What the hell is your problem?" She grabbed him by the front of the shirt and made him face her. "Why are you being so rude! You could at least look me in the eye when I'm speaking to you!"

He started laughing, a snicker at first, but it builded up to full-blown mirth. The look on her face was priceless! She glared at him for a moment before laughing as well. Kakashi realized something in that instant. He loved her. It was so sudden but so right, he could think of nothing to talk himself out of the feeling. He couldnt remember ever laughing like this before. Was this what it felt like to love someone?

"So, whats your name?" Keiko asked once they stopped laughing.

"Kakashi Hatake." he replied. They shook hands. He felt so at ease around her. He couldnt help but trust her.

"Hello, Kakashi. Im Keiko, but call me Kei. Everybody does." she said cheerfully. I" think Ive heard about you from some of the villagers."

"Im not a demon." He said abruptly, looking back at the river. Kei merely smiled.

"I didnt think you were."

Kakashi glanced at her.

"You dont?"

"Nope. You seem perfectly normal to me. Besides the fact that you wear a mask...why do you wear that, by the way?" She reached up to touch it but was startled when she felt him grab her wrist.

"Ow." she winced. "Im sorry. I didnt know you were touchy about that." He released her and she rubbed the forming bruise on her wrist. He glanced at her again.

S"orry, if I hurt you." he mumbled, and he truly was.

"Its fine. I better go." she said, standing up. I"ts been nice talking to you, Kakashi." She walked away and he stared after her sadly. After what he just did, she probably wouldnt want to talk to him again

how wrong he was.

In fact, they talked to each other at every opportunity. After lessons, they were often seen taking walks together.

A couple years later, Kakashi met somebody who would become his greatest rival and best friend: Obito Uchiha. Obito was two years older than he was. At first, they hated each others guts and they constantly played a win-lose game with everything. Foot races, Sparring, spit contests (had to add it) even eating. They got into the biggest ramen-eating contests the village had ever seen. Obito won almost every time.

"Ha! I win, Hatake! NOW who's the superior one?" Obito would constantly exclaim through a mouthful of noodles. The silver-haired boy would merely moan in reply due to over-eating. He didnt lose every time, though. When they actually sparred, Kakashi usually had the upper hand. Obito was good but he lost every time to Kakashi. Spitting was a different thing entirely I wont go into detail.

Despite their constant war on each other, they were actually close friends. In fact, Obito was the only one who knew what Kakashi's face looked like (he often teased Kakashi about it). It was very rare that you would see one without the other. Actually, they usually just argued with each other because Kakashi was very uptight about the rules while Obito was addicted to bending and breaking them. For instance, Obito was ALWAYS late, no matter where he had to be. Kakashi, on the other hand, was always sure to be on time to appointments.

When Kakashi was sixteen years old, he, as well as Obito, became Jounin. He was very exited about going on his first A-class mission. Little did he know, it was a mission he would never forget. It would leave a scar that would never fade...physically and mentally.

The mission itself was a Sabotage assignment during the Third Secret World War. All didnt go as planned, for during the mission, Rin had been captured by enemy Ninja from the rock country. Obito wanted to go after the ninja and save her but the rule-strict Kakashi refused to abandon the mission.

"You idiot, shes your FRIEND!" Obito yelled angrily. "Youre just going to let her die!"

"We cant abandon the mission. The rules--"

"Rules! Thats all you talk about! You would sacrifice your friends life for RULES?"

"My father--"
"Dammit, forget your father, Kakashi! Thats in the past!" Obito was positively shaking with anger now. It started to rain lightly as Obito turned around. "Forget it. A heartless person like you wouldnt understand. Ill do it myself!" He took off into the trees.

"Obito, wait--" but his friend was already gone. Kakashi stood in the rain staring at nothing, unsure of what to do. After a while, was it minutes? Hours? He took off in the direction Obito left, using his sense of smell to track him down. He hoped he wasnt too late.

When he saw Obito fighting in the distance, he sped up and desperately tried to get there in time. Obito wasnt faring well. In fact, the final blow was about to be delivered when Kakashi jumped in and injured the rock ninja. Obito didnt look at all surprised to see him.

"I knew youd come around." He said. Now with a new comrade, he and Kakashi jumped into battle.

The fight raged on for a while longer but it wasnt looking good. They were severely out-numbered by enemy ninja and the ninja rock master wasnt exactly a pushover. He kept shooting large rocks at them so it was hard to dodge them and still battle the ninjas. That fact was proven when one of the large, jagged rocks made contact with the left side of Kakashis face and blinded him in that eye.

"AHHHH!" Kakashi yelled, clenching a hand over his eye. It was pouring out blood and there was a long gash over his eye and eyelid.

"Kakashi, what is it!" Obito exclaimed. "Dammit!" He grabbed Kakashi and leapt into the same tree he had told Rin to hide.

"What's wrong!"

"My...My eye!" Kakashi gritted his teeth in pain.

"Let me look at it." Rin said, pulling his hand away from his face. She sighed and shook her head. "There's no hope for it. You'll never see out that eye again." she said sadly.

"Damn them!" Obito punched a hole in the tree trunk. He looked positively furious... and were his eyes turning red?

"Obito...your eyes..." Rin said, staring open-mouthed. "Obito, you've awoken your Sharingan!" Obito didn't seem to notice anything unusual. He ripped off his goggles and looked at Kakashi with burning red eyes.

"We have to take them down." His voice sounded... harsher. More confident. "Kakashi, can you still fight?"

"Yes." The silver-haired jounin replied, straitening up and wiping blood from his face. He did his best to ignore the pain.

Obito leaped out of the tree and...vanished? No, because he then appeared behind several of the enemy ninja and took them out. The battle ensued for a short while longer, the two Konoha comrades at a considerable advantage due to the Sharingan. Finally, the deathblow was delivered to the rock ninja by Obito.

Before death, unfortunately, the rock ninja used one more technique...

"If I die, you little bastards are coming with me!" he shrieked. To Obito and Kakashi's surprise, huge boulders started to fall from the sky. Obito dodged them easily but, due to his eye, Kakashi had trouble.

A particularly large boulder was about to hit, but Obito pushed him out of the way just in time and saved his life. Unfortunately, that meant Obito took the blow himself.

Half crushed under the boulder, he cried out in pain.

"Obito!" Kakashi and Rin were at his side immediately as a lightning bolt flashed in the sky and thunder shook the ground.

"Hang on, Obito! I'll get this off you!"

Even as he said it, Kakashi knew he wouldn't be able to move the rock. It was just too big. That didn't stop him from trying, however. As he tried to move the rock, Rin used her transmitter to call for reinforcements.

"Don't bother, Kakashi..." Obito said.

"Obito, no! I'll move it! You can't die!"

He used all his strength in trying to move it. He tried and tried but it just wouldn't budge. Rin was in tears.

"Dammit, I can't move it!" He punched the boulder in frustration before sinking to his knees. Tears streamed down his face. This was the first time he cried since his mother died.

"This is all my fault." he said through gritted teeth. "I should have come earlier."

"Nobody blames you...Kakashi..." Obito's voice was getting weaker by the moment. "So, stop crying...it doesn't...doesn't suit you..." Rin took Obito's hand and held it for comfort. She knew what was to happen. Even if Kakashi refused to accept it. That didn't stop her from silently crying, though.

"You are too cold and... and distant sometimes...but that's nothing to... to the good qualities... you have...uhnnn..." he winced in pain.

"Stop talking like you're saying goodbye! Our comrade's will be here soon and they'll get this off you!"

"Kakashi...I...have a gift...for you..."Obito rasped. "My...Sharingan..."

"Obito--"

Obito smirked as he looked up at Kakashi with tearful eyes.

"I guess...you win...after all..." Those were the last words he ever spoke.

At the funeral, Kakashi stood in the back and avoided everyone else. The entire village was here, even the Hokage. Many people were sobbing. Obito was well known throughout the village. He was the type of person who got along with everyone.

A warm tear trailed down his face as he thought of Obito's last moments. Rin had removed The Uchiha's Sharingan eye and had implanted it into Kakashi's left eye. He hated being called a demon so he tilted the forehead protector to hide his fearsome eye.

As the Hokage said a few words in Obito's name, Kakashi felt someone grasp his hand. He looked down and saw it was Kei, who was looking up at him and smiling sadly. He looked away from her but clenched her warm hand tightly.

Over the next week, Kakashi kept himself locked up in his apartment and refused to see anyone or answer the door.

One day, Kakashi had just gotten out of the shower so he dried off and he put his pants on. He went and looked at his bare face in the mirror, free of the mask and forehead protector. He stared at the face he loathed for the longest time. Wait. Scratch that. More like he glared.

Angrily, he punched the mirror, causing it to shatter. It didn't stop there for he resumed to destroying the rest of the apartment, knocking things down and breaking the furniture. When he was done, he put a shirt on and then left his apartment. Once outside, he broke into a run. He ran and ran until he couldn't run anymore. When he stopped, he found himself in front of a river surrounded by cherry blossom trees. It was the same place he met Kei all those years ago. But his thoughts weren't on Kei. They were on his dead best friend, Obito.

He pulled out his Kunai.

"Kakashi, no! What are you doing!" Kei was running to him, her long blonde hair billowing behind her.

"Leave me alone." He said coldly, turning away from her.

"Dammit, why do you have to be such an ass all the time?" She said, embracing him from behind. "Stop it, Obito wouldn't have wanted this, and you know it!"

"I deserve to die. Obito is dead because of me."

"It wasn't your fault! Obito died to let you live. If you kill yourself now, it all would have been for nothing! He would have died for no reason! Do you want that!"

"..." Kakashi silently looked down.

"Kakashi..." Her voice softened as tears streamed down her face. "You always told me that you would never end up like your father. Was that a lie?"

He dropped the Kunai he was holding and turned around. When she reached up to remove his mask, he didn't object. When his face was exposed, she smiled.

"So that's why you keep it covered." She stated, leaning forward. It would be the first and last time they kiss.

They spent the next hour or so holding each other, neither wanting to let go.

The moment was ruined when they were suddenly attacked by enemy ninja. A large Shuriken flew at them both and they dodged it just in time. Kakashi and Kei pulled out their Kunai.

"Sorry for ruining you intimate moment," the leader, a tall, blonde man said. "You must be Kakashi Hatake. I've been sent to get rid of you."

Kakashi stepped in front of Kei, whose eyes were narrowed in a furious glare.

"Kei, go hide in the trees. Whatever happens, don't come out." He ordered.

"No! Don't treat me like a kid, I'm not leaving you!" She replied heatedly.

"You aren't a jounin yet. It's me they want and I don't want you getting hurt. I can't lose you too."

"But--"

"GO!"

Kei stared at Kakashi a moment more before reluctantly leaping into the trees. The blonde-haired man was watching them with an amused look on his face.

"Hmm... My orders didn't necessarily say I had to KILL you..." He smirked. "I think crushing your spirit would be a much more amusing way to destroy you." he vanished before Kakashi's eyes. Even the other enemy ninja seemed dumbfounded about where their leader went. A split second later, he reappeared holding a kicking and screaming Kei.

"Put me down, you bastard!" she screamed, pounding her fists on his back.

"No!" Kakashi started forward but froze when the man held a blade to Kei's throat. The brown haired girl had stopped moving as well. The man chuckled. Without removing the blade from her throat, he put his face right next to Kei, holding her chin with his free hand. He was looking at Kakashi.

"I'm going to make you watch her die."

Kakashi stood there motionless, afraid that if he moved, Kei would be killed. He glared at the man angrily, who merely smiled back at him.

"Hold her!" he said, tossing Kei to the other ninja. Smirking, he looked back at Kakashi. Something flashed in the blonde ninja's eyes and Kakashi found that he suddenly couldn't move.

"What...did you...do...?" Kakashi said, unable to move a muscle.

"Tie him up!" he ordered. The other ninja leaped forward and slammed Kakashi against a tree before roughly tying him up. The paralyzed jounin could do nothing to resist. He kept his eyes on the blonde haired ninja, who now had Kei, who was in tears.

"First, I'm going to fill her body with this poison." he held up a small glass vile. "Then, I'm going to leave you here like this so you can watch her slowly and painfully die when there's nothing you can do about it." He started to laugh a cold, heartless laugh that filled Kakashi with dread.

The poison started to work almost instantly. The enemy laid the poor girl on the ground in front of Kakashi before leaving in a cloud of smoke. He could barely move but it was not enough to get him out of the ropes. He watched in horror as he noticed through her eyes that she was starting to fade.

"Kei, hang on! You'll be alright, just hang on!" he kept shouting. She smiled up at him.

"Kakashi..." she said weakly. "I'm sorry."

"Kei, no! Don't do this! I need you!" he pleaded. He suddenly heard voices coming closer. They had obviously come from the village. Kei must have called for reinforcements while she was in the trees! With a new spark of hope, he called for them desperately. He couldn't let her die. Not now.

Kei was immediately taken to the hospital but it was no good. She died within an hour. It was the second time that a hospital failed to save someone important to him.

Obviously, he didn't take her death very well. He became more silent and talked less. Nobody could cheer him up. Kei's death seemed to break him inside, causing him to be something of an emotionless walking zombie. Jiraiya-san was the one who gave him his first Icha Icha Paradise novel. He refused to read it at first because of the contents it contained, but, when he did finally read it, he found that he couldn't put it down. It intrigued him, and, it got his mind off Kei and Obito, even for a short while.

Despite what he was taught about not seeking revenge, he couldn't forget the man with the blonde hair who killed the only person whom he loved. That man left him with nobody. When he finally caught up with that bastard, he was sure to inflict as much pain as possible before killing him. He remembered that man lying on the ground before him, looking up at Kakashi with fear. Kakashi felt no guilt, no pity. All that mattered was vengeance. He raised his Kunai and went in for the attack.

-----------

Kakashi awoke with a start. He hated it when he had dreams of his past. No matter how hard he tried to forget, it always came back to haunt him during the night. Blinking the blurriness out of his eyes, he sat up and looked around. It was night.

He was in his living room on the couch while covered by a blanket. He noticed that somebody had taken off his forehead protector. Panicking, he reached up to make sure his mask was still on. Good. It was. His shirt was off and he saw it, as well as his vest, lying on the floor covered in blood. His blood.

It all came rushing back to him. The mission, Tsunade, Maya's warm, slender arms embracing him... whoa. Rewind. She what? Strangely, that was the last thing he remembered. What happened?

Realizing that he could no longer feel any pain in his lower abdomen, he looked down at the wound...only there was no wound! Minus the extreme soreness he felt in his back and neck area, he was pretty much healed! Wait, Maya is a medic nin trained under Tsunade, so maybe...

His suspicions were confirmed when he saw her on the recliner, fast asleep. She must have fallen asleep while watching over him. He smiled behind his mask. She looked innocent when she slept. Her features were relaxed and her mouth was slightly open.

He glance at the coffee table and saw a glass of water with two pills laying next to it. A note beside it said:

Kakashi-sensei,

These pills should help with some of the pain. Take them... or else!

Maya

He took the pills. He felt most of the tenseness and the forming headache temperarily ease away. Suddenly, a wave of drowsiness overcame him, forcing him back down into a laying position on the couch. After all, as the clock read, it was only about 3 a.m. Deciding that he would think about this more tomorrow, he allowed his eyes to droop and he soon fell into a more peaceful sleep, thanks to the pills.
Chapter 7 Kakashi's ALL MINE! by naomi_sama
Chapter 7- Kakashi's Mine!

Maya slowly opened her eyes and blinked in the morning light. Realizing that she was sleeping in a chair, she sat up and looked around. Where was she? Her gaze eventually rested on Kakashi's sleeping form on the couch. He had his back to her and was mostly covered by the blanket. Her eyes widened and she blushed as it dawned on her. She had spent the night at here. KAKASHI'S house. Shit. And to make matters worse, the pills she had left out for him were gone so he must have known she was here. Damn it all. She had only meant to stay for a little while to make sure he was stabilized. She hadn't meant to fall asleep.

Hoping that nobody saw her enter his house and not come out, she made her way to the front door. She didn't want rumor to spread about her and Kakashi. Her reputation would take a nose-dive.

Unfortunately, as she was sneaking to the front door, she tripped over something and stumbled over. Standing up, she angrily picked up the book she tripped over and stared at it, a sweat drop forming on her head. Know what book it is? Thought so.

These Icha Icha paradise books! Maya inwardly screamed. Why do they keep coming back to haunt me?

Deciding to burn it as revenge, she was about to pocket it when she saw something fall out of the book and flutter to the floor. It looked like a picture.

She picked it up to get a better view of it and saw it was a picture of two teenager sitting in the grass next to a tree. She recognized one as Kakashi. He was looking away and seemed to be embarrassed about something. The girl he was sitting next to had long blonde hair and big brown eyes. She was laughing and waving at the Camera holder. This picture had to have been taken a long time ago because, even though he was wearing a mask, Kakashi looked a lot younger. He had both normal eyes as well.

She opened the book and flipped through the pages for more pictures, trying to ignore the graphic images the book held. Nothing. She paused when she reached the back inside cover of the book. There was a small leather pocket. She reached in and pulled out a few more photos.

The first one was of a young Kakashi and another dark haired boy who were arguing heatedly with each other. They were looking at each other with utmost hatred.

The next picture made her fall over anime-style. In this picture, the two boys were laughing their asses off with each other. Were they friends or enemies?

The picture after that was of the blonde girl from before. She was sitting by the river and looking up at the sky, totally oblivious to the fact that she was being photographed. Who was this girl?

Maya smiled when she flipped to the next photo. It was a picture of team 7. She remembered when this picture was taken. It was right before the chuunin exams. Everybody looked happy in this photo. Even Sasuke. Well... he was actually glaring as usual but if you look long and hard enough, he looked a LITTLE less like an ice bitch... er... maybe not. But yeah.

The last picture completely caught her off guard. It was none other than Maya herself. She was sitting in tree looking majorly pissed off about something. It was taken the day when Kakashi left his precious book under the tree.

That bastard! Maya thought angrily. He must have taken a picture of me when I wasn't looking! Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard movement coming from the couch. Shit! She quickly stashed the photos back into the pocket and put the book back where she found it.

-------------

Kakashi awoke with a blinding headache. He clenched his head with both hands and stifled a moan. When the pain didn't go away, he sat up and tried to blink the blurriness out of his eyes.

Maya was staring at him open-mouthed. His already unruly hair was even more messed up do to sleep and the lack of his forehead protector. He had his mask on and only one of his eyes was open. He kept the one with the Sharingan closed. She also had a pretty good view of his muscles. He wasn't overly muscular but he had a really nice tone. The battle scars only seemed to accent it. Maybe Sakura was right. Maybe he WAS pretty attractive... WHOA! Don't think like that! She immediately shoved that thought from her brain as he looked at her for the first time.

"Good morning." he said. "You're awake." He gazed at her with his normal eye. Her face was somewhat flushed from sleep and her long hair wasn't tied back. Instead, it flowed down her back. It wasn't very often that he saw her hair down. She always tied it back with that same blue ribbon she had worn since her first found her.

"Morning." she said, blushing lightly. "Listen, I didn't mean to...I mean, about me sleeping here...uh..."

"It's fine. Just be more careful next time." He yawned. " So what happened?"

"You passed out." She replied. "Why didn't you go to the hospital? You could have died! I'm really getting sick of this!" And she really was. More than once, she or Sakura had found him bleeding in the dark when they came to check up on him after missions. It's as if he would rather risk dying then seeking treatment there. Was it his pride? Or something else...

Kakashi said nothing. He just looked at her with his usual impassive face. Finally, he broke the silence.

"I'm still alive, aren't I?"

"Yes, but... grrr..." She couldn't think of a comeback.

Kakashi said nothing more. He pulled the blanket off him and tried to get up when pain shot up through his leg, causing him to fall back down on the couch. He had forgot about the wound on his leg. Maya was kneeling down by him instantly.

"I must have missed this..." she said, pulling his pant leg up to examine the wound. Once again, she was surprised at the numerous scars she found. She held her hands in front of her chest and performed a number of complicated seals. She placed her hands over his wound and channeled her chakra into him.

Kakashi exhaled deeply when he felt all of the pain in his leg slowly ease away.

"Kakashi?" Maya began. He said nothing but she knew he was listening. "Why do you wear a mask?"

Silence.

"That's for me to know and you to never find out." he said with mock cheeriness.

"Baka." Maya mumbled, pulling his pant leg back down having finished healing him. He tried to stand up but was pushed back down by Maya.

"Sit." she said. "You shouldn't move too much yet. You have a slight concussion."

Tell me something I don't know... he thought as his head throbbed with pain. He gazed at Maya as she took a seat next to him on the couch.

"Turn around so your back is facing me." Not wanting to feel the rage of the blue-eyed monster girl, he complied without question. An instant later, he felt her cool hands on his bare back and felt Chakra flow into him, easing the tenseness and massaging his sore muscles. He could barely keep his eyes open. Maya was stared at his upper back, her eyes widening. She held her breath to keep from laughing.

Kakashi could sense that she thought something was amusing but didn't question her. When she was done, he felt her hands pulling on his shoulders and he allowed himself to be pulled into a laying position with his head resting on her lap. Before he could ask her what she was doing, her slender fingers began to massage his temples.

He allowed his eyes to close as all the tenseness and pain from his headache was replaced by bliss.

"Where did you learn this?" he asked.

"A long time ago... I remember being taught this in the village I lived in before I came here." she replied. He didn't press the matter any further. He knew how touchy she was about her past.

"It feels so good." he said contently. She giggled. She had never seen him like this before. She liked being this close to him for some reason. His hair felt nice and silky to her fingers. He smelled... well, there wasn't really anything to describe what he smelled like. He wasn't one to wear manly fragrances, so it had to be naturally him. She often found herself trying to figure out what he smelled like when she was near him, but failed. What it pine trees? Forests? All she knew was that he smelled really good. It was strangely intoxicating... She mentally slapped herself for thinking such thoughts.

"I know. Do you feel better?"

"mm-hmm."

"So your headache's gone?"

"mm-hmm."

"Can I burn you Icha Icha Paradise collection?"

"mm-hmm... Wait! I mean..." Maya laughed.

"Gotcha." She said, a grin on her face. He couldn't help but smirk at her prank. "I guess I'd better go... I have a lesson with Tsunade today." She pulled her hands away but was stopped when Kakashi grabbed them.

"Don't stop." he said. She complied and massaged his head some more.

"Why do you have so many scars?" His normal eye opened upon hearing her question. They locked eyes for a moment.

"I've always been told that I scar too easily." he said behind his mask. Despite the fact that he always wore that black mask, she had analyzed his facial expressions by looking at his shapely jaw and the way the fabric of the mask moved when he smiled. She wondered if he was handsome behind the mask... "Let's just say this isn't the first difficult mission I've had."

"Oh." was her simple reply. She smiled. "Can I ask you something else?"

"mm?"

"Why do you have a tattoo on your upper back that says 'I am inferior to Gai' with a picture of him on it?" She tried not to laugh but she really wanted to know the story behind it.

"...You don't wanna know." He said, grimacing. He had totally forgotten about that.

"Try me."

"Let's just say it involved a lot of drinking on me and Gai's part and a rather stupid bet that ended with me losing." He said, finality clear in his voice. She grinned and didn't continue the matter any further. She blinked in surprise when she felt his hands grasp hers and pull them away from his head. He stood up.

"I won't keep you. I don't want to make you late for your lesson..." She shook her head.

"I've still got a while. Besides, You're my patient now and I'm not leaving until I'm sure you're okay. Go get dressed and I'll make you something to eat." Her voice was so firm and commanding that he could think of nothing to say to refuse. Thus, he found himself walking down the hallway in the direction of his room.

He got out one of his other ninja uniforms from his closet and went into his bathroom to take a quick shower and wash all the blood off his body.

As he let the scalding hot water beat on his back, he thought about his dream. He had dreams of Obito's and his family's death often, but it had been a while since he dreamed of Kei. It was always too painful to even dream about her. Why was she haunting him now? Maybe he was going crazy...or maybe there was something about Maya recently that reminded him of the girl from his past. Could it be... Is he moving on? The thought seemed absurd. And yet... could it be possible for him to reopen his heart and love again? He pushed that thought from his mind. He didn't WANT to experience it again. The pain he felt from before was carved into his heart. It was still bleeding. He had learned, over time, how to close his heart against the pain but that only made him an emotionless stone who seemed to care for nothing. At least that's how other people saw him.

Once he was out of the shower, he dried off with the large black towels he kept in the bathroom cabinet and got dressed in his usual uniform. He refrained from putting his mask on, though, and looked at his face in the mirror... the same one he kept hidden from the world.

He combed his hair and put his mask and forehead protector on. Once he was completely ready, he made his way to the kitchen/dining room combo.

Maya was standing at the stove, making what smelled like an omelet. He returned to the living room and removed his weapons from his other uniform and added them to his present one. Seeing that there was no hope for cleaning and repairing it, he took the bloody and torn uniform from the day before and went to dispose of it in the kitchen trash can. Maya was now putting the omelet on a plate and she placed the plate at the small dining table.

"Eat." she said. More of an order, actually.

He was about to say 'I'm not hungry' when he felt his stomach growl, the traitor. After all, it had been a few days since he had properly eaten anything. He didn't have the strength to try to hunt and he had run out of supplies long before. So, despite his brain screaming to refuse, he found himself walking over to the table and sitting before the meal. He looked at Maya, who turned red.

"Oh! Right." She turned her back to him. He gazed at her a little while longer. She laughed. "Don't worry, I won't look." Seeing that she was true to her word, he pulled down his mask and picked up the chopsticks.

Geez... he thought angrily. It was good.

"How is it?" she asked, back still facing him.

"Edible." He said between bites. She smiled.

"Coming from you, Kakashi-kun, that's a complement."

He couldn't help it. He had to ask her.

"Since when do you add 'kun' at the end of my name?."

"Habit, I guess." she shrugged. "Besides, I respect you. I respect you as a sensei and as a friend."

"... One day you all will be good enough to teach me." kakashi said with a smile. Maya was always an extremely gifted ninja anyways. Naruto was very gifted as well. Sasuke is still the best on the team, but Naruto has been slowly catching up to him over the years. Sasuke knew it. Even if he refused to accept it. Maya was also very skilled, and Sakura... well, she was weaker than the rest of them but she was an excellent shinobi herself.

Once he was finished with his meal, she took the plate to the sink and washed it for him. He couldn't help but wonder why she was doing this for him. Maybe it was in her nature. Despite her temper and impatience towards Naruto and Sasuke, she sometimes babied them. He smirked. She really cared for her students. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. Both have no families so I guess it was important for somebody to fuss over them sometimes and keep them in line. Naruto cared for her especially... probably because she was the only one who constantly bought him ramen without complaining.

"Well, I guess I'd better--" Her sentence was cut off when she felt his strong arms embraced her. He buried his face in her hair and inhaled her flowery scent.

"Kakashi..." She said questioningly, but she didn't try to pull back. Well, in her mind she did but her body wasn't reacting the way it was supposed to. His scent and warmth were too intoxicating. She stood there without moving a muscle as his hold on her tightened. Suddenly, he let go and held her at an arms distance, not quite meeting her eyes.

"Sorry." he said. "I guess that concussion had a bigger affect on me than I thought." They stayed like that a moment more. Finally, having regained her voice, Maya broke the silence.

"It's fine. See you at practice later today? Or are you not feeling up to it?"

"Yes. Tell the others that we will be practicing for the next three days to make up for when I was gone." He said, eye curving up in a grin as he tried to get rid of the awkwardness of the moment.

"Okay. Good-bye, Kakashi-kun." With that said, she left his house in a bigger hurry than she intended to. She was having mixed feelings about the Jounin.

Damn that Kakashi! she thought angrily. Damn him and his... his good-smelling self! Crap, I can't even think straight!

--------------

Having just gotten back from a lesson with Tsunade, Sakura and Maya were walking down the village's main street and heading towards the place they were supposed to meet Naruto and Sasuke for lunch. The two girls were laughing and talking like usual, but there was something about Maya that was different. Sakura noticed that she was strangely quiet. And her eyes seemed distant and confused about something.

"Hey, Maya, why so glum? Is something bothering you?" Sakura asked.

"No. I'm fine." Maya lied. She couldn't tell her. She couldn't picture Sakura's reaction upon hearing that Maya was having weird thoughts about Kakashi. Besides, it's probably just a phase. In a few days, she'll probably go back to her normal Kakashi-hating self. Yeah.

Maya's thoughts were interrupted when she ran head-long into someone.

"I'm sorry!" she said, looking at the girl before her. Wait... I know her... she thought, looking at the red-headed girl who had many freckles.

"No, it's my fault." Maiyuko said sweetly. "I'm sor--" she went quiet and stared at Maya with her bright green eyes. "YOU!" she exclaimed, leaping back. Several on-lookers stared.

"uhhhh..." Maya and Sakura said in unison.

"Back off him! You can't have him!" Maiyuko yelled, pointing an accusing finger at Maya. Rin and Arimi merely exchanged there-she-goes-again looks.

"Wha...You must be mistaken." Maya said dumbfounded.

"Who are you talking about?" Sakura asked.

"Kakashi-kun, of course! He's MINE!" Maya sweat dropped upon hearing this.

"You can have him..." Maya said.

"This is WAR! We are both thrown into this battle for his heart... but I will not let you win!"

"What part of 'not interested' don't you understand...?" Maya was starting to get annoyed.

"RIVALS IN LOVE! That's what we are!"

"No convincing her, is there?" Sakura whispered.

"I give up..." Maya sighed.

"Poor Kakashi-kun... It must suck having a tramp like you liking him..." Maiyuko said. Maya felt herself starting to get angry.

"I don't like him!" She exclaimed.

"You low-down, lying little--" Rin covered her mouth before she could say anything more. People were starting to gather around. Unfortunately, despite having her mouth covered, Maya heard every word that came from Maiyuko's mouth.

"Why you--" she was about to attack but was held back by a sweat dropping Sakura. Likewise was happening with Maiyuko and Rin.

"Calm down, Maya. Just ignore her. I think she's crazy. You shouldn't attack crazy people. They can't think straight." Sakura said, loud enough only for Maya to hear. Maya stopped trying to assault the red-headed girl but she continued to glare at her. Sakura let go hesitantly.

"Sorry about this. She gets like this sometimes." Arimi said.

"Well, we have to be somewhere, so we'll see you around I guess." Rin added, dragging Maiyuko away with Arimi's help. Sakura said a quick 'bye' while Maya kept glaring.

"Who the hell does she think she is? Where did she get the idea that I liked Kakashi?" Maya mumbled.

"I don't know but we better hurry to the Restaurant. We were supposed to meet Naruto and Sasuke a while ago."

"Right." The two girls continued on their way, totally oblivious to what lay ahead of them. I know, though! heh heh heh...

--------------

"No way." Maya and Sakura said at the same time as they, as well as Naruto and Sasuke, entered the restaurant. At the ramen bar, of all people, Maiyuko and her friends were sitting there. Who would have thought that right after an encounter with the redhead, they would end up eating lunch in the same place. Ironic actually.

"Ramen ramen ramen ramen!" Naruto chanted, heading towards the ramen bar.

"Hey Naruto." Maiyuko said cheerfully, waving at the blonde boy excitedly.

"Hello, Maiyuko-chan! I didn't know you were gonna be here!"

"Baka. I eat here every d--" Maiyuko went deathly quiet at the sight of Maya. She looked at the dark-haired girl coldly. Maya glared back just as intensely. Sakura, on the other-hand, spoke up.

"You know her!" she exclaimed, looking at Naruto in shock while pointing a forefinger at Maiyuko. Naruto nodded excitedly.

"Yeah. She eats ramen with me here every day! She didn't talk much and was really shy at first but now she's my friend." Naruto said, leaving out the fact that he only started talking to Maiyuko because he thought she was pretty. He didn't want to be teased about it.

Naruto was starting to feel uncomfortable due to the tenseness coming from Maiyuko and Maya's direction. He moved to the end of the bar and looked over the already memorized menu as he sat down. Sakura took a seat next to Naruto while Maya, not wanting to sit next to Maiyuko, sat next to her. Seeing that there was nowhere else he could sit, Sasuke scowled and sat in between Maya and Maiyuko, who were engaged in an all out staring war. On second thought, change that to GLARING war. He shifted uncomfortably because he was pretty much in the line of fire.

"I sense a catfight coming on." Sasuke muttered. "I have a sixth sense for these things." Sakura looked at him.

"What?"

"Nothing." He replied quickly, taking a bite of his ramen.

Maiyuko and Maya, at the moment, were engaged in a Ramen-eating contest. Sasuke sweat dropped as the bowls started to pile up in front of him. I don't mean pile a little bit. They were REALLY pi-- oh, you know what I mean.

"ummm... Sakura-chan?"

"What, Naruto?"

"What are Maya-chan and Maiyuko-chan fighting about?" he asked, staring at the scene before him. Sasuke had given up on eating his food and was now staring at the two battling girls incredulously.

"Well... more of a fact of WHO they are fighting about..." Sakura replied.

They are both feminine girls but they were eating like barbarians...and the intake at such a fast pace is incredible... the Uchiha boy thought, unable to keep his mouth from opening in shock. Arimi and Rin were both rooting on Maiyuko while trying to hold back their laughter.

"Who are they fighting over?" Naruto asked curiously through a mouthful of noodles.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." Sakura said, smirking. I don't think it has registered in Maya's mind that she is fighting over Kakashi... Brushing that thought off, she resumed to watching the girls duke it out. Maya was capable of eating an extraordinary amount of food in one sitting, but Maiyuko seemed to be keeping up pretty good. The cook was cooking at top speed to keep up with them. The entire restaurant had gathered around and were watching the spectacle with awe. Where do they put it all?

"Uhhh... Maya? We have a lesson this afternoon with Kakashi, remember? You shouldn't--" Her voice trailed away as both girls suddenly passed out.

Wow. Sakura thought. A tie. This is the first time that Maya has ever found someone in her league... Her thoughts were interrupted as the ramen bowls that were piling on the counter came crashing down on top of Sasuke.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Author's note: hahaha. I just had to end it that way! So how'd you like it? Good? Bad? Okay? Tell me!
Chapter 8 by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
Read and Review please! This has to be the hardest chapter I've written.
Chapter 8- Chapter names are overrated...

Once Maya had recovered from her eating spree, she, Sakura, Sasuke, and Naruto headed towards their usual training area to wait for Kakashi.

"Is he here yet?" Naruto asked after a while, lounging on the ground in a bored manner. Kakashi was already an hour late.

"No." Maya sighed angrily.

"Is he here yet?"

"No."

"Is he here yet?"

"No."

"Is he here yet?"

"No."

"Is he here yet?"

"No."

"Is he here yet?"

"No."

"Is he here yet?"

"Yes."

"Really!"

"No."

Naruto sighed in disappointment before sinking to the ground again. Silence. Then--

"Is he here yet?"

"Ask me that again and I'll shove my kunai down your throat." Maya said in a deathly quiet voice, looking at the hyperactive blonde with the mother of all death glares. Naruto went silent. Sakura, who was already getting her kunai out, replaced them in her pouch and inwardly thanked Maya for shutting the kitsune boy up.

Finally, half an hour later, Kakashi showed up.

"Hello team. And Maya." he said lazily as he strolled to them with his hands stuffed in his pocket.

"You're late." They said.

"Yeah, sorry bout that. Gai insisted on--" Realizing that his pupils and Maya were giving him glares of death, he quickly canceled that excuse. "Um... right. For the next few days that we have together, we're going to have a little competition."

"What do you mean?" Asked Sakura.

"You are going to choose a partner first..." Sasuke and Naruto shot a quick glare to each other. "...And then you will spar with that person over the next three days. Whoever wins two-out-of-three in each team will face off with each other next week. Understand? Pair off." With that said, he pulled out his Icha Icha paradise book and plopped down on the grass.

Naruto and Sasuke paired off almost immediately, leaving Maya and Sakura to be partners.

"What now, Sensei?" Naruto said seriously. He wanted to prove himself to Sasuke once and for all.

"Hmmm... Maya and Sakura, you can go first." Kakashi replied, not looking up from his book. How he knew that they were paired together is a mystery... Naruto and Sasuke took a seat in the ground next to Kakashi to watch the girls spar.

The fight didn't last too long. Sakura tried to trick Maya by throwing a Kunai at her, and while she was busy blocking it, Sakura would appear behind her and kick. Unfortunately, Maya saw through it and dodged both assaults by leaping to the side. While Sakura was recovering from the shock of what happened, Maya leapt foreword and delivered a round-house kick to Sakura's stomach.

The pink-haired chuunin bent double and let out a quick 'oof!'

Grabbing Maya's kicking leg, she spun her around and flung her away. Maya landed on the ground with a thud and scraped her elbow but was just as quick to leap back and launch forward at Sakura. Sakura, who was prepared for it, pulled out her kunai and slashed through Maya. Surprisingly, Sakura went right through her.

An illusion! she thought, looking around wildly for the real Maya. She couldn't see the blue-eye chuunin anywhere. She gasped when she felt the cool blade of a kunai touch her throat gently. Maya had sneaked up behind her.

"It looks like Maya has won this round. Good job, Maya." Kakashi said casually, looking up from his book. Maya replied by pulling back from Sakura.

"You okay?" she asked.

"Just a few cracked ribs. Nothing I can't heal." Sakura replied. "That's one hell of a kick you got there." She winced as she said this.

"You should feel her punch." Kakashi mumbled, half to himself. Sakura, who knew exactly what he was talking about, stifled a giggle.

"I'll heal you myself while the boys go at it." Maya said, watching Sasuke and Naruto take their places on the sparring area. They had very serious looks on their faces... as if this were a life or death battle.

Men and their egos. Maya thought.

As Maya healed Sakura's injuries, she, as well as Kakashi and Sakura, watched the two boys battle it out.

The battle was much more intense than the one between Sakura and Maya. By the time it was over, both boys were badly burned and were bleeding in many places. Sasuke won of course, but Naruto still put up a hell of a fight. There wasn't a single blade of live grass within a hundred yard radius of the sparring area.

As Naruto and Sasuke were healed by Maya and Sakura, they threw each other glares of death. Sometimes they got a little too competitive. This was one of those times.

------------

Kakashi awoke around two in the morning. He didn't know why, he just woke up and then couldn't get back to sleep. He tossed and turned and when he couldn't return to sleep, he angrily threw his blanket off and got dressed. A good nighttime stroll would do him some good.

Once he was outside, he leaped into the air and started to leap from roof to roof with his usual vigor while heading in no particular direction. Not exactly a nighttime stroll, but just as effective. It was a really chilly night. Whoa. That was kinda random.

He paused when he landed on the roof if a large apartment building, for a familiar scent reached his nostrils.

This must be the apartment complex Maya lives at. Kakashi thought. He leapt on the tree branch next to her window, the same one he sat on when he was trying to get his book back, and was surprised to see that it was left open. How could she have been so careless?

He peeked in and saw her in bed asleep, shivering. She was obviously cold but he couldn't help but notice that she was covered in a thin layer of sweat. Eyebrows furrowed on concern, Kakashi entered the room and walked over to her bed. He touched her forehead with the back of his gloved hand but recoiled quickly. She was burning up!

Is she sick? he wondered to himself.

Not knowing what to do, Kakashi scratched the back of his head. He knew he shouldn't be here, but he couldn't just leave her like this.

Mind made up, he went and shut the window before going into her kitchen and retrieving a rag with cold water. He wanted to get her temperature so he placed it on her head and covered her tightly with the blankets.

He didn't know what more he could do in this situation, so he pulled a chair up to the side of her bed and sat in it so that he could watch her sleep.

-------------

A six or seven year old Maya stood in the field and stared out at the horizon. It was sunset now. she could see the big, orange ball slowly sinking below the hills, melting and burning the atmosphere with it's intense colors. She couldn't help but marvel at it's beauty.

"...ya! Maya!"

Maya tore her eyes away from the spectacular scene to see who had called her. She smiled when she saw the familiar faces of her mother, father, and brother. Her mother was smiling and waving at her. Giggling, she ran and threw herself into the woman's arms.

Her mother was a truly beautiful woman. her long, light brown hair that reached her waist was usually braided. She had brilliant blue eyes that were almost as blue as her daughter's. She always had a blue ribbon that was tied at the end of her braid. She wore a sleeveless blue top and flowing black skirt that reached her knees.

Her father wasn't too bad-looking either. Tall and lean, he had really dark hair and equally dark eyes. His hair was always unruly. His outfit consisted mostly of black and gray, the usual Jounin outfit for the village.

Toru, her twin, was a very strange boy. He was quiet and shy and always seemed very lonely. He had hair as long as Maya's but he kept it tied back in a ponytail, whereas Maya always left hers down. Many villagers questioned their mother why she kept his hair so long, but her reply was always the same:

"He likes it that way."

Little did she know, the real reason was that he was merely afraid of scissors. Maya knew, though. The two were very close. Well, duh. They ARE twins. Toru was actually afraid of a lot of things. Especially women. Can't blame him for that one, though. For you see, Toru was a VERY cute little boy...meaning that women constantly fawned over him. See my point? Thought so. He was also very afraid of thunderstorms. When they got bad, Maya would sometimes climb into his bed and hold his hand for comfort.

Despite all of his fears, he never let anyone know about them. Unless you were someone like Maya, and could see past the cold exterior, you couldn't tell because he tended to keep things trapped inside.

During the past week, strange things were happening to Toru. First, his usual bright blue eyes had turned to a dim gray color. A few days later, lightning bolt markings formed out of his pupils and ended at the outside edge of the irises of his eyes. Maya's parent's made him wear sunglasses whenever they left the house so that the villagers wouldn't see. Of course, at the time, both Maya and Toru were two young to understand why.

"Maya, honey, it's getting late." Her mother said cheerfully, placing Maya back down on the ground. "We should probably go soon."

"But--" Maya's sentence was cut short when she saw her father sneak up behind her mother. She smiled. Unfortunately, her mother had long before sensed the man and dodged to the side just as was about to grab her.

The woman giggled and started to run, her husband chasing close behind. Once he caught up with her, he spun her around before kissing her. Maya made a disgusted face.

"Hey, what's with the face?" her father asked. He swooped down and lifted Maya up off the ground before throwing her into the air as she screamed with delight. Catching her, he kissed her cheek before placing her back down on the ground. Toru merely watched at a distance as he usually did.

The family's peaceful moment was ruined when a group of Shinobi attacked. They couldn't tell if the ninja were from their village or another, for they had no forehead protectors.

Maya's father pulled out his Kunai and ordered his family away. Her mother took a hold of her two childrens hands before taking off into the forest. Maya looked back only once and saw that her father wasn't faring well. He was greatly outnumbered.

When they reached a forest clearing, Their mother suddenly stopped and ordered them to hide in the bushes. Before the children could comply, the several ninja from before appeared. Her mother screamed at the sight of them.

Curious about what had upset her mother so, Maya looked and saw that one of them was holding something...a head...her father's...

"Daddy!" Maya screamed, bursting into tears. "Nooo!"

Toru merely stared. Maya , despite the shaken state she was in, noticed that he was clenching his fists and shaking with anger. His sunglasses had long fallen off so his fearsome eyes were filled with rage.

Their mother took a step in front of her children and crouched defensively.

"Oh, look." One of the men sneered. It seemed that he was the leader of the group. "The little wench thinks that she can protect her babies. How sweet." He ran forward, leaped over Maya's mother and then landed between Toru and Maya. he grabbed them both by the back of the shirt and lifted them off the ground. "Who's first?"

Toru was hanging there motionless while Maya kicked and screamed to no end.

"Let me go! Put me down!" she screamed.

The man holding her smirked and tossed Toru to the ground roughly. The boy turned to face him but didn't get up.

Maya's mother was about to start forward but stopped when a kunai was put at her daughter's throat.

"It seems that you volunteer to go first." he said. His fellow ninja began to snicker. "Ready to die, brat?" The cold blade was pressed against Maya's throat. All of a sudden, she couldn't feel it anymore and there was a sickening thud followed by a scream of pain.

She was dropped to the ground. She froze when she saw that she was laying next to an arm. A SEVERED arm. Looking up in shock, she saw that the arm belonged to the ninja who was holding her moments before.

"M-my arm!" he screamed. "What did you do to MY ARM?"

Maya numbly looked and saw her brother standing there, holding a short sword stolen from the now one-armed shinobi. It was soaked with blood. Toru's face looked strikingly angry and his eyes were almost glowing. The other Shinobi were paralyzed with shock. One of them actually took off into the forest screaming about demon children. He was heading in the direction of where the village was hidden.


"Leave her alone." Toru said quietly. It was rare that he spoke... ever rarer when he spoke to someone who wasn't Maya.

Eyes wild, the bleeding man grabbed some kunai with his other arm and threw them at the boy. Toru's reply was to knock them away with the sword he held.

"What the hell do you think you are doing!" The desperate man shrieked at the other shinobi. "Don't just stand there! Kill the brat!"

The other ninja complied and attacked Toru at the same time. Maya watched in shock as her beloved brother killed them off one by one. Once they were all dead, Toru dropped the sword to the ground and started to shake. Her mother ran forward and embraced him tightly. It was the only time Maya had ever seen him cry. He was the type of person who avoided showing what he was feeling. She saw that her mother was crying too. Maya was...well, her shock kept the tears at bay. This kind of thing has never happened to her before. She had never seen an actual dead man. That, and her father--

She jumped when she heard the voices of people come from all directions. They were shouting and cutting branches out of their way. She was only able to catches snatches of what they were yelling.

"Where's the demon boy? Have you found him?"

"The man said they were somewhere around here!"

"Keep looking!"

"I think I see someone!"

Maya saw her mother jump up and push Toru towards the trees.

"Run, Toru!" she cried. "Go to the secret place! Do you remember what I'm talking about?"

Toru nodded. Maya remembered too. A while back, their parents had taken them to a place in the forest that is difficult to find unless you knew where it was. They told Maya and Toru that if anything bad happened, to go there and hide.

Once Toru had gone, her mother approached Maya, untying the blue ribbon in her hair as she walked. She held it out to her daughter.

"I want you to keep this, Maya." she said tenderly. "It was my mother's." She turned Maya around and pulled her hair back, tying it with the ribbon.

"Mama?" Maya said softly.

"mm?"

"What's going to happen to Toru?"

"Nothing." her mother said firmly. "I won't let anything happen to him, do you hear me? He'll be fine." Maya nodded to show that she understood. Her mother's eyes filled with tears as she embraced her.

"You! Woman! Hand over the demon boy!" the mob of villagers had finally showed up. Maya recognized most of them. They were all armed with some kind of weapon and were radiating a murderous intent.

Why are they doing this? thought Maya as her mother rose from the ground.

"He's not a demon!" the woman cried. "He's my son, and I won't let you hurt him!"

"Akin..." a gentle-looking woman in her mid-40s stepped foreword. "You can't say that you weren't expecting this. We told you from the start that if there were any signs--"

"There were no signs!" she bit back savagely. "He was just protecting us! He--"

"Look around you!" An elderly man exclaimed. "No normal boy his age could have killed them, not like this! Tell us where you are hiding him!"

"Hey, we got him!" A voice sounded in the near distance. "We caught him running away!"

"No!" Maya heard her mother scream. Several villagers grabbed a hold of the woman as she tried to run in the direction of the voice.

Maya was then taken away by several of the villagers. She kept hearing things about demons but she didn't understand what that had to do with Toru. No one would explain it to her. She was locked in a small hut and was told to wait there until someone came to get her. She waited there for what seemed like hours.

Finally, some ninja entered the hut to retrieve her. She was taken to the village's head ninja, Shinzaburo, where she heard the news. Shinzaburo was a large man with balding black hair. His cold, black eyes always made her feel nervous. The only thing that was nice about him was the fact that he spoke with a calm, reassuring voice no matter what the situation.

The ninja left once she entered the room. She really wished her mother and father were there with her. When she stepped forward from the door and approached his desk, Shinzaburo looked up.

"You're Maya, aren't you?" He said. Her reply was to nod nervously. "Yes, you look a lot like your mother. I'm afraid I have some unfortunate news. There was...an accident."

"Sir?"

"Maya, I'm sorry. Your mother is dead."

There was a silence. Maya's voice caught in her throat. Suddenly, she felt so...alone. Hot tears trailed down her face as she stared at the man before her. He didn't look away.

"W-where's Toru?" She asked in monotone. She prayed that she had at least him. She prayed that she would not be alone in this world and that her beloved brother was okay. Her prayer was in vain.

"Toru... had to be killed." Shinzaburo replied seriously. "This may be too hard for you to understand... you are still so young after all... but your brother had a demon inside him. It's what forced him to do all that to the shinobi who killed your father."

"No!" Maya shot back. "My mother said that he wasn't a demon! She said that he was just protecting--"

"Toru was the one who killed your mother."

------------

Maya's sleep this time wasn't as peaceful as the time when she was in his house. He knew this because she was shifting a lot and her face depicted that she was being tormented by bad dreams.

Thinking that she would be fine, Kakashi was about to leave when she suddenly cried out in her sleep.

"Nooo!" He turned around and saw that she was actually crying. He made his way back over to her side. What could she be dreaming about?

She suddenly screamed and started thrashing around while crying 'no!' several times. He wasn't sure what he should do, so he climbed into the bed and hugged her to him tightly to get her to calm down. After a moment or so of trying to struggle out of his hold, she suddenly stopped moving. She started to sob into his chest a few seconds later. He knew that she was partially awake, but he didn't think her sleep-deprived mind registered that someone was there. Unsure of what to do to comfort her, he just stroked Maya's hair gently as she cried.

Once she had cried herself back to sleep, he couldn't bring himself to leave. He didn't WANT to leave. It felt so right to hold her like that.

What's happening to me? The silver-haired jounin thought miserably.
Chapter 9 I win by naomi_sama
Maya woke the next morning and blinked the blurriness out of her eyes. Not wanting to get up just yet, she rolled over and threw the blankets over her head. Frowning, she thought about the dream she had last night. It was such a weird dream. She couldn't figure out if that was really her family, or if they were just figures of her imagination. She thought about the person who was supposed to be her 'mother'. She was so beautiful.

Maya blinked the tears out of her eyes. She had never felt so lonely before. Over the past few years, she had accepted the fact that she didn't have much of a past and she had accepted her amnesia... but what about now? She had never wanted to know as much as she did now. She wanted her memories. She wanted to be normal with a family and have a last name. She wanted a past.

Could this dream be fragments of her lost memories? Or was it just her desire to know that caused her subconscious to invent a false family?

She blinked as she remembered that she had another dream. She dreamed that she was sleeping next to Kakashi as he held her to him tightly.

Reading over her last thoughts, she blinked. Wait a second. She dreamed--

OMG! she inwardly cried, sitting up in bed. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Her thoughts froze in place when she noticed a piece of paper laying on her nightstand.

That wasn't there last night... she thought, raising it up to inspect it. This is what it read:

Team 7 is meeting today at two instead of noon. You look like you could use some rest. See you then.

Kakashi

P.S. You shouldn't leave your window open at night.

Maya smiled pleasantly and set the note back down on the nightstand. This was good news. Kakashi was there last night so she obviously wasn't having dreams about him. She felt a lot better. Wait a minute...

Kakashi... was in MY room last night...? she thought. She slumped back down on her bed and stared at the ceiling in shock, anger not quite settling in yet.

-------------

When Maya got to the training grounds, she was surprised to find only Naruto and Sasuke. She understood the bastard not being there on time...he never was... but what surprised her was that Sakura was absent. She wasn't one to miss practice. Heck, she was rarely even late! Another thing that caught her eye was that Sasuke was more moody than usual. He also seemed... distracted. Naruto was standing a little ways from Sasuke while looking at him fearfully. The threatening aura coming off of the Uchiha boy was enough to shut even Naruto up.

They stayed in silence for a while longer before Kakashi showed up. They forgot about the whole 'you're late' routine and stayed in silence. Kakashi looked between the three of them frowning. Even he notice that something was up, and he had his Icha Icha Paradise book out.

"Why so glum today?" he asked. Silence. He scratched the back of his head uncomfortably.

After a few more tense moments, something came to Kakashi's attention.

"Wait a minute, there's only three of you. Where's Sakura?" One of Sasuke's eyes twitched upon hearing this.

"I don't know. She never showed." Maya replied, shrugging. She momentarily forgot that she was angry at Kakashi.

Kakashi frowned with concern.

"Well, that's not like her..." the copy nin said.

"Hey, Kakashi-sensei?" Naruto said, butting his way into the conversation.

Yes?"

"If Sakura-chan's not here, who is Maya gonna spar with?"

"hmmm... That does present a problem..." Kakashi frowned thoughtfully. "I guess she'll just have to spar with me today." He sighed. He was planning on reading while they all trained. He was at a very interesting part in his book. Ahem.>.>

Maya looked up in surprise when he said this.

"Are you sure that's fair?" Naruto asked. "I mean, you're a lot stronger and--"

"It will be fine." Kakashi replied lazily, pocketing his book. "Since Sasuke seems to be off in his own little world at the moment..." Sasuke didn't so much as blink. "...Maya and I will go first."

With that said, he strolled out onto the usual sparring area. Maya followed.

I'll teach him to come into my room while I'm asleep. she thought, inwardly smirking. She lowered herself into a fighting stance while he just stood there, hands shoved in pockets. Typical. Maya ordered herself to focus. She couldn't hold back against someone like Kakashi.

They stood a little ways from each other, each waiting for the other to attack first. After about 10 seconds, Maya leapt forward and delivered the first set of attacks, which he evaded easily. It continued like that for a while. Maya attacking and Kakashi blocking and dodging her assaults.

Kick.

Block.

Punch.

Block.

Punch.

Dodge.

He seemed to be barely trying. Her efforts were futile but she kept herself going. After all, this was payback.

Kick, punch.

"Why areyouso angry all the time?" he asked.

Duck.

"That's my business." She threw her Kunai at him, which he easily dodged. "Aargh, fight back! How can this be considered a match if you won't fight back?"

He smirked before completely vanishing. Maya blinked and stared at the spot where he disappeared, Kunai still raised. Suddenly, Kakashi reappeared behind her and, leaning in, he whispered into her ear.

"Boo." he said, causing her to jump.

"Can't you ever be serious?" She attempted to stab him with a Kunai but her attack was cut short when he tripped her.

Once she had fallen flat on her back, Kakashi climbed on top of her and grabbed both of her wrists and held them above her head with his legs on either side of hers, effectively trapping her. Due to being pinned, Maya could do nothing but glare. His face was inches from her own. She forced back the rising blush in her cheeks. Having nowhere else to look, she looked at the Jounin who's face was so close to her own and fixed her gaze on his only visible eye. She had always thought it was black, but if you look at it this closely, it was actually an interesting brownishgreencolor.

Naruto and Sasuke were watching this little scene with raised eyebrows. After all, they certainly were in a very interesting position. hmmm... On second thought, change 'interesting' to 'kinky'. They were in a very kinky position.

Enjoying the flustered look on her face, Kakashi leaned in close until his mouth was right by her ear.

"I win." he said.

Maya could feel the rage rise in her gut as memories of the last time he said those words fill her mind. She was extremely pissed off to say the least.

Much to Kakashi's surprise, she suddenly smirked.

"You seem to have forgotten something." she said in a cheerful voice that scared the crap out of Kakashi.

"What?" he asked uneasily.

My legs." she replied. With that said, she resumed to kicking him in the stomach. HARD. She stormed off towards the village.

All in all, Naruto almost died from laughing. Even Sasuke snapped out of whatever trance he was in to smirk.

--------------

Maya pounded on Sakura's door fiercely. This had been going on for a while, but there was still no answer. Once she was ready to crack and bust the door down, the door opened and a familiar pink head looked out.

Sakura looked terrible. Her face was slightly puffy and her eyes were swollen and red. She had obviously been crying.

"Yes?" the pink-haired girl said.

"Sakura, what happened? You missed practice. Everyone's worried about you." Maya said, entering Sakura's house. The place was a mess. Books and clothes lay everywhere and the floor really needed to be vacuumed. The shelves needed dusting too. Sakura was obviously not accustomed to living alone.

"I... missed... Oh my God!" Sakura's eyes widened. "I completely forgot! Was Kakashi-sensei mad!"

"No, Kakashi-sensei is probably in too much pain at the moment to care." Maya said angrily. Sakura didn't want to know. "We were all just worried about you and... have you been crying?"

"N-No."

"Come on, you can tell me."

"No, I'm fine. Really."

Maya didn't press the matter any further. Her friend obviously didn't want to talk about it right now. Sakura would come out when she was ready.

"I know what'll cheer you up." Maya said cheerfully. "Genma's birthday party is today, remember? Everyone's meeting at the small, unnamed bar Joben owns. Are you still going?"

"But aren't I underage?" Sakura replied. Maya rolled her eyes.

"Honestly, Sakura. Has that ever stopped you before?"

Sakura smiled despite the current state she was in.

"True." the pink-haired girl said. "Okay, let's go have fun."

"I'll meet you there at seven." Maya replied. "But first..." she took a look around the room. "I'm going to help you clean this place."

Sakura laughed in reply.
Chapter 10 This is what happens when you drink!!! by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
...Er...I'm warning you, this chapter is a little...Out there.
Chapter 10- This is what happens when you drink...

Maya leaned forward slightly and closed her eyes contently as the warm water pounded on her aching back and soothed the muscles. She loved taking showers. It was her favorite part of the day. The water always seemed to wash her worries away and give her time to think. At the moment, he thoughts were on Kakashi.

Why is it that with him, the slightest thing made her angry? Well, she wasn't REALLY angry all the time. Usually she was just confused about her emotions so she covers it up with anger. The alien feeling she experienced when she was with him frightened her.

I hate him! she thought savagely. Why does he have to confuse me so much! That idiot is going to pay one of these days, mark my words...

Once all of the hot water had run out, she stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around her slim form. She stepped in front of the mirror and started to brush her long, dark hair that almost reached her waist. She hated her hair. It was so long and got in the way often. She wondered often if she should get it cut.

Maya frowned at her reflection in the mirror and scowled.

I'm so average-looking. I wish I looked like that girl in the picture. she thought, remembering the photo of the blonde girl in Kakashi's book. She had been wondering all day who that girl was. She was obviously really important to him at some point. But the question is, HOW important? Maya couldn't picture Kakashi actually falling in love with someone.

Once she had tied her hair back with her usual blue ribbon, she got dressed in a red tank top and black pants. Nice and simple. When she was completely ready, she grabbed a black jacked from the coat rack and left her apartment in a hurry. It was already a few minutes past 7 so she was late.

Oh well. A little Chakra in the feet never hurt anyone, right? With that thought fresh in her mind, she darted from rooftop to rooftop at top speed.

----------

Kakashi sat in the darkest corner of the bar with his arms crossed, wondering why he was dragged here in the first place. Oh, yeah. The party. Genma's birthday. He scowled and finished his drink. Not only was he tired due to getting hardly any sleep the night before, but he was also sore from Maya's kick. Poor guy.

Half of the village's ninja were crammed into the bar. Even the underage ones. Of course the bartender, Joban, never eally cared enough to check their ages. Sure enough, Naruto was sitting with Sasuke not to far from the silver-haired jounin, chugging away.

Kakashi sighed. Why am I here again?

His thoughts were cut short when Maya and Sakura entered the bar together. He was pleased to see that Sakura was okay, but was surprised to see her lead the other girl to a table on the opposite side of the bar as Naruto and Sasuke. He expected them to want to sit with the boys.

Shrugging, and reasoning that it was none of his business, Kakashi pulled his mask down to his chin and took a drink from whatever alcoholic substance he was drinking. After all, he sat in this corner for a reason. It was shadowy enough so he could pull down his mask and drink as he pleased.

He quickly put his mask back into place when he saw Genma approach him. He looked closely and saw that the Jounin was fairly tipsy from drinking. Most likely because it was his birthday so everyone insisted on buying him a drink.

"What's wrong, Hatake-san? Rough day?" Genma asked, indiacting the numerous empty glasses in front of the copy nin.

"You might say that." Kakashi replied. His thoughts were on Maya.

Genma ordered himself a drink and took a seat next to his friend. He watched the silver-haired jounin carefully.

"So who is it?" He said, removing the senbon from his mouth to take a long drink.

"What?"

"Don'y play dumb. You keep sighing and are in deep thought. You've obviously fallen for someone."

At this, Kakashi's eyes... or make that eye... visibly widened.

"Me? Fall for HER? That's ridiculous!" he exclaimed, alcohol taking affect. "Besides, it's probably not allowed."

Genma was choking on his drink by then. Ugh. That's gotta burn.

"W-Wha--? You mean there really IS someone?" He said between coughs. "I must be good! Wait... What do you mean 'not allowed'? It doesn't have to do with incest does it? Or are you becoming a pedophile? Or maybe..." his voice lowered at this. "Is it a GUY?" Kakashi merely stared at him.

"What are you rambling about?" The copy nin asked. Genma frowned.

"I...don't know." he replied.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the bar, Maya was on her third drink and was starting to get really lightheaded. She and alcohol never really went together. Sakura, on the otherhand, had consumed half her body weight in liquor. The girl was still going too. She always drank a lot when the two went to places like this.

Several 'Happy birthday, Genma' choruses later, Maya convinced Sakura to stop drinking and go home. The pink-haired chuunin tried to resist, but Maya was more stubborn. She didn't want her friend to die because of drinking too much in a short period of time. That's something the girl would do, too.

Maya convinced her friend Shikamaru to take Sakura home. He tried to talk his way out of it, but one glare of death from Maya was enough to shut the lazy shinobu up. He finnally complied and mumbles things about 'being too troublesome.'

Lazy Bastard. Maya thought. She would have taken Sakura home herself, but she still hadn't talked to Genma or wished him happy birthday yet.Well, speak of the devil. There he is.

She looked around the bar and finally spotted the brown-haired jounin. He was sitting in the corner of the bar... sitting next to... next to...

Crap. she thought. For she had just noticed the fact that he was sitting and talking with none other than Hatake Kakashi. She didn't want to see him now! Oh, well. She wasn't going to let her perverted sensei ruin her night.

She stumbled across the bar and around a rather large bar fight towards the two.

"Why, hello, Miss Maya!" Genma said once she approached them, knocking over his drink in the process. Kakashi merely looked away and seemed to take interest in the bar fight.

"Hi, Genma-san. Happy birthday!" She said, sitting in a seat next to the two jounin.

"Thank you. Coming from you means more than anything!" He said with a wink. Maya rolled her eyes.

"I bet you've said that to every other girl who has said 'happy birthday' to you today." She said, ordering herslef another drink.

"You know me too well." He replied. "Aren't you too young to be drinking?

"Nope! Look around you, Genma. This place is swarming with underage drinkers. Why does it matter so much if I have a drink or two?"

"Good point. In that case, will you let me buy you a drink?" He asked, smiling flirtatiously at her.

"I'm not going to sleep with you, Genma." Maya replied. "But I will take that drink, thank you."

"Hey, what do you take me for?" Genma replied, sounding a little hurt. "I wasn't looking to sleep with you."

Kakashi scoffed.

"Yeah, right." the silver-haired jounin mumbled.

Another half hour passed and the three of them spent it talking and drinking. Maya was seriously starting to feel herself getting lightheaded and was on the verge of being an all out drunk. And it didn't help that Genma kept ordering more and more alcohol for her to drink.

Maya's scrambled thoughts were interrupted when she suddenly made eye-contact with Kakashi. She stared into the black eye before smiling. He seemed a little surprised at her sudden gesture but he allowed his eye to curve upward in a grin in response. Maya suddenly had the urge to do something crazy.

Kakashi and Genma quirked an eyebrow when Maya suddenly straddled Kakashi's lap and sat there. She nuzzled her face in the crook of his neck.

"Are you drunk?" the copy nin asked. He stiffened when she started to kiss his cloth-covered neck.

"Not even tipsy." she giggled.

Frowning, he looked around while trying to think of something to do. He cursed alcohol for slowing his brainpower.

Genma was looking at the pair of them with shock. "Hatake, are you and Maya--"

Kakashi fixed his fellow jounin with a 'What-do-you-take-me-for-you-idiot?' look before turning to Maya and saying, "I'll take you home."

------------

As Maya and Kakashi walked down the deserted street, Kakashi had to support a drunken Maya to keep her from stumbling.

"Hey, Kakashi-kun?" Maya suddenly said.

Kakashi sweatdropped and momentarily forgot that she was drunk.

KUN?

She drunk, you moron. the logical side of his brain replied.

Oh. Right.

mm." he replied to show that he was listening.

"Who's the blonde girl?" she asked. A confused Kakashi looked around the eerily quiet street but didn't see anyone.

"Who are you talking about?" he asked, trying to ignore the fact that she was snuggling his arm. To his surprise, Maya reached into Kakashi's vest pockey and pulled out his Icha Icha Paradise book. He watched as she flipped to the back cover and pulled out his picture of Kei.

"Her." She said, words slightly ilegible. "Who is her?" Okay. NOW she was making little sense.

Kakashi snatched the book and the picture back from her and stuffed them both in his pocket.

"She's no one." he replied coldly. Despite being drunk out of her mind, Maya knew not to press the matter further.She suddenly had to stop and lean on the nearest building.

"Going to throw up?" Kakashi asked. Maya shook her head in reply.

"Just dizzy..."

"Hmmm... maybe we should go to my house instead. It's closer." he said after a moment. Maya replied by nodding. She suddenly started to giggle and he wondered what was so funny. Yep. She's plowed.

-----------

Kakashi said nothing as he helped his intoxicated friend into his house and down the hall way to his bedroom.

"You can have the bed and I'll sleep on the couch." he said. He tried to take her to the bed and make her sleep off the alcohol. Unfortunately, on the way there, Maya tripped over her own feet and fell, thus, taking Kakashi with her. They tumbled to the floor and landed in an awkward position with Maya half-way laying on top of him. Kinky, ne?

Okay. he thought, crossing his arms. Maya is in MY room and we are now laying on the floor on top of each other. What to do... Kakashi sighed and started to get up but was stopped when a hand clenched his sleeve.

"Maya...?" he questioned. Blue eyes looked at him.

"Don't go." she said, not letting go of his sleeve. He gazed into her eyes. He could tell, by the haze in the blue depths, that she was drunk out of her mind. But he still couldn't find the strength...or willpower... to get up.

Maya suddenly climbed on top of Kakashi and straddled him. He stiffened as she ran her fingers through his silver hair and traced kisses up his jawline. Despite the cries of the logical side of his mind, he found the perverted side start to take over. Probably because of the fact that he was pretty drunk himself... That wasn't water he was drinking in the bar, that's for sure.

Kakashi was mildly surprised when Maya suddenly reached behind his head and removed his Hitai-ate. He had his Sharingan eye closed. She reached up and traced her finger over the scar there. She then, leaned down and did something he was not expecting.

She kissed him.

Kakashi stiffened up and resisted the urge to gasp when he soft, full lips pressed against his cloth-covered ones. She gently bit his lower lip and he resisted the urge to give in. Yes, he still had the mask on. But right then, he wished it wasn't there. Could he be developing feelings for her?

Why aren't I pushing her away? he thought, eyes closing as his hand tangled in her hair, other pulling her closer. Maya broke the kiss and removed his jounin vest.

Because you are a moron, moron! Push her away! the logical side of his mind cried. She had stripped her shirt and was now in only her bra. He was shirtless as well.

Don't push her away. The perverted side of his mind joined in the conversation. Your extremely HOT friend is coming on to you! Why would you push her away?

She's drunk! She doesn't know what she's doing! You can't just do this to her knowing that!

Screw you! On second thought... screw HER... heh heh.

...You know by saying 'screw you' you are talking about screwing yourself?

Shut the hell up.

Make me.

Kakashi flatly ignored the raging battle in his head and, for once, just went with what his mind and body did... Too bad his mind and body were both drunk. eheh.

Maya's hands began to wander. She ran them up and down his sides and kakashi copied this motion, earning a giggle from Maya.

As if coming out of a trance, Kakashi's eyes snapped open. He pulled away from the kiss and reached down and grabbed her hands to stop their progress.

"You're drunk." he said, gently pushing her back while getting into a sitting position with his back leaning against the bed. He didn't let go of her wrists.

He ignored his screaming perverted instincts as they looked at each other. This was Maya. His student...he cared for her. She wasn't another one of the random women he picked up in a bar. She wasn't in her right state of mind and he didn't want to do something they would both regret.

"I'm not... drunk..." she said quietly.

Suddenly, Orochimaru bursted into the room and dropped onto his knees in front of Maya.

"W-Wha---?" Kakashi sputtered.

"Maya! I love you! I've loved you since I first saw you! Will you be mine!" Orochimaru cried, pulling out an engagement ring.

HAHA! Just kidding! Hahahahahahaha! Did I have you going there? Did I? Did you fall out of your desk chair? uh... why are you glaring at me...? Well, Sor-ry! I was just trying to lighten the mood... anyways, on with the story.

"I'm not... drunk." she said quietly. There was a moment of silence, both unsure of what to do next.

Sighing, Kakashi picked the chuunin up bridal-style before laying her on the bed.

"Sleep." he ordered, pulling the blankets over her form. Her eyes never left his. He found himself staring into the many swirling blues and voilets in her eyes. She was so...beautiful.

What is she doing to me? he thought miserably. He tore his eyes from her gaze and turned to leave.

"Wait!" Maya reached out and grabbed his arm. "Don't go. Will you stay with me for a while?" Kakashi looked and saw the pleading in her eyes. He gave in. What? Don't look at me like that! What's a jounin to do in this situation?

"Alright." he said. "I'll stay with you until you are alseep." He climbed into the bed and pulled the sheets over him, making sure to lay as far from his former student as possible... not too good on his self-restraint, but oh well. This was so wrong in his mind but he didn't really care at the moment.

Suddenly, he sensed her shiver. He ignored it, thinking that maybe imagined it, but that theory was squashed when he felt her shiver again, harder this time. It WAS pretty cold. His heater was broken at the moment and he hadn't bothered getting it fixed yet. Ugh. He was going to regret this later...

"Turn on your side." he said firmly. She complied without question and turned away from him to face the wall. Following suit, Kakashi turned on his side to face her and draped an arm over her slender figure, all the while bringing her closer. Maya forced back a blush as he pulled her closer to his chest and stomach but sighed contently at the warmth she found there. She was out seconds later.

Unfortunately, Kakashi himself was hit with drowsiness and couldn't stop himself from falling to sleep as well. He had only meant to stay until she was asleep. Uh-oh.


~*~
Kakashi- you know, I am so going to kill you after this
Naomi- Pshhh...Like you don't want this.
Kakashi- ...
naomi- My point exactly
Kakashi- At least I don't spam people with yaoi!
Naomi- >.> So...? And that's because you have Iruka...
Kakashi- *evil glare*
Naomi- well, I'm going to leave before Kakashi kills me...REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!
Chapter 11 The Morning After and the flying matress of DOOM by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
Yeah, a lot a Kakshi pounding in this one. This is my favorite chapter though. ^^.
BTW...
Kakashi- 26
Maya- er...22? or is it 24???
Itachi- 24
Other genin(not including sand) 14
"Itachi-san, what would you have us do?" A man wearing full black said, kneeling before Itachi. A party of 5, all wearing the same thing, stood just outside of Konoha's gates and were planning their course of action.

"For now, nothing." he replied quietly. "Find our target and follow her around for the next few days. Get to know her schedule. In three days, meet me back here and we will attack."

"Hai." With that, they leapt over the walls surrounding Konoha and disappeared into the night.
~*~
Sasori stood in place and pulled out the picture of the girl he was here to kill. He had wondered at first if this was someone from his past, for they looked so much alike. They even had the same name! But he knew it wasn't her. The girl he knew was long dead. Replacing the picture back into his pouch, he leapt over the gates to do what that bastard had ordered him to do.

qpqp ...FLASHBACK 1 week ago... qpqp

"Itachi-sama, we cannot allow her to live. If her memory returns--"

Do you think I don't know that, you idiot?" Itachi retorted, glaring at his advisor. "I am aware of the danger involved with her still being out there somewhere. In fact, for the past two years, I have sent search teams out to find her. I now know where she has been hiding all this time."

"You do! Then why--"

"Shut up and let me finish. I am sending an assassination team to finish her off."

"Assassination team? You can't mean--"

"I do. Sasori!" He now spoke to the dark corner behind him. The advisor couldn't see the person standing in the corner, for the shadows were enough to hide him from sight, but he knew he was there none-the-less. .

"Yes, Itachi-sama." Just hearing the low, deathly quiet voice sent shivers up the advisor's spine.

"You and the village assassin team are to travel to Konohagakure on a mission." Itachi replied.

Sasori stepped out of the shadows and stood before the one addressing him. The advisor glared at him distrustfully. Itachi pulled out a picture of a girl with dark brown hair standing at a ramen bar next to two boys with blonde and black hair and a pink-haired girl, all looking to be about her age. In the background, a tall, silver-haired man was seemingly laughing while trying to keep the boys from killing each other. Sasori frowned when he saw the man. He recognized him from somewhere...

Itachi pointed at the dark-haired girl with blue eyes.

"This is your project. Her name is Maya." he said. "Kill her as soon as you get the chance. This is a very serious matter, don't screw it up."

"Hai." With that said, Sasori was gone. After a few moments of silence, the advisor cleared his throat.

"What do you want now?" Itachi snapped.

"Itachi-sama... are you sure we can trust him?" he asked timidly.

"What do you mean?"

"Well... Sasori, he... he's new to this village. Are you sure we can trust him with something like this?"

"Do not question my judgment. Sasori is a very skillful assassin. The best part is, he NEVER asks 'why?'. All you have to do is give him a job and he'll get it done. You can't compete with that."

"Yes, but--"

"Leave my sight."

"Hai." the advisor sighed before quickly leaving the room. He wasn't one to provoke Itachi's infamous temper. This was going to end up bad, he knew it.

--------------
When Maya awoke the next morning, she didn't open her eyes right away. She had a horrible headache and she felt really sick. That, and she was enveloped in a soothing warmth and she didn't want to leave it. Instead, she snuggled closer to it.

mmm...smells good... she thought contently. Waitaminute... was this skin she felt? Her eyes shot open. She couldn't see where she was, for she was facing the wall. But, she knew it was not her room, for her sheets were blue, not black like these ones were.

She couldn't remember much of the previous night. All she remembered was going to Genma's birthday. She couldn't remember why or how she got here.

Oh, my God! Where am I! she thought desperately. Was I kidnapped? Did I get raped? I CAN'T REMEMBER!

Kakashi, due to being a light sleeper, awoke when he felt the girl in his arms snuggle closer to him.

Oh crap. he thought numbly. He didn't mean to stay all night! His panic quickly dissipated as an interesting idea formed in his head. He smirked evilly. A little joke never hurt anyone. Boy, was he wrong.

Okay. Don't panic. Maya thought. Maybe it's a dog! Yeah, that's it! A dog! Maya reached behind her to check for fur.

Kakashi blinked in surprise when he felt a hand touch his bare stomach. What was she doing?

Okay, not a dog. she thought coolly. Whoever it is has really nice abs, though... Maya allowed her hand to move a little higher and she saw that it was flat. And he's a guy. Great. Maya felt the panic well up inside her. She took a deep breath.

Kakashi plugged his ears.

"AAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...!" she screamed. She rolled off the bed and took the sheets with her. Unfortunately, Kakashi was tangled in those same sheets, so he went with her. They rolled off the bed and landed on the floor in a tangle. He was on top of her. She thrashed around trying to get up, but it only got them more tangled in the sheets.

"Calm down! You're making it worse!" he said over the screams. Finally, she stopped and looked up at Kakashi for the first time. He still had his mask one, but his Hitai-ate was off. The Sharingan was closed at the moment. Her eyes widened.

"K-Kakashi? W-Wha--?" she began. Kakashi inwardly smirked. Project 'Freak Maya Out' was now in motion. He smiled.

"Morning, love." he said, leaning in slightly closer to her bright red face. "Have a bad hangover?"

So THAT'S what this headache's from... she thought. Wait a second. Did he say 'love'? This is a joke, right?

"Hey, did you... Did we...?" she began. She went quiet when she realized something that she hadn't realized before. Kakashi wasn't the only one without a shirt. She, herself, was in only a bra. No...WAY... She flinched when he suddenly smiled and moved slightly closer.

"You were a wild fire. Was it your first time?"

"..."

"Um... Maya...?" he began uneasily, seeing the dark look on her face. "A-Are you okay...?"

"..."

She was now glaring at him with utmost intensity. Mother-of-all-death-glares is a nice way to put it. Kakashi quickly disentangled himself from the sheet and backed away from Maya while looking at her fearfully.

"Maya? Um... About what I just said--"

"YOU BASTARD!" Maya leapt up and started throwing everything in sight at him. "HOW DARE YOU TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME!"

Kakashi blocked and dodged the flying objects the best he could. Unfortunately, he was caught off-guard and was hit square in the face with the alarm clock.

"OW! Maya, I-- AH!" He had thought that she had run out of things to throw but, man, was he wrong. She threw the mattress... yes, the whole mattress... at him. He definitely wasn't expecting it, to say the least. Realizing that he was distracted, Maya made a dash for the door. Kakashi struggled out from under the mattress and ran to meet her before she could leave the room. He firmly clenched both her wrists.

"Maya, wait--"

"GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU PERVERT!" With that said, she swiftly kicked him in the stomach. Again. As he doubled over in pain, Maya ran out of the bedroom and stumbled down the hall for the front door, stopping only once to pull one of his tee-shirts on over her... er... slightly undressed state. Ahem. She tried to open the front door but the deadbolt was stuck. Crap. Just her luck.

"Maya, wait! Let me explain!" Despite his current agonizing state, Kakashi had managed to follow her somewhat to the living room. He saw her trying to wrench open one of his windows.

----------

Meanwhile, a rather large crowd had gathered outside of Kakashi's house ever since Maya had first screamed. They then heard screams about perverts and rapists, so they were starting to get kinda worried about what was going on in there.

"Someone call Tsunade! There's a girl getting raped in there!"

Hahahaha... Poor Kakashi
---------

Kakashi pulled her away from the window, causing her to lose her balance and fall to the floor. Kakashi saw this as an opportunity to make things right, so he climbed atop her and pinned her to the floor, making sure to trap both her arms AND her legs this time.

"Maya, we didn't really--" His sentence was cut off when she head-butted him. Hard. It was once of the last things he expected and it left him dazed. Maya resumed to beating the living shit out of the poor guy.

Suddenly, two ANBU busted down the door and looked around the room wildly. They saw Maya first. One of them spoke.

"Uh... We were informed that there was a large commotion and that there was a rapist--Dear God!" Their gaze had just fallen on a black and blue Kakashi who was holding his hands up as if to defend himself from a brutal attack.

"Who's raping who!" the other ANBU cried. Maya's eyebrow visibly twitched and she slugged the man across the face. Well, what would you do?

----------
"WHAT were you thinking? What possessed you to take advantage of an innocent woman...you're supposed to keep an eye on her, not woo her!" Tsunade seethed, glaring at the silver-haired man before her.

"I didn't--" Kakashi began but his sentence was cut off.

"DO NOT LIE TO ME, HATAKE KAKASHI! YOU SRE SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING HER, YOU PEDOPHILE! I AM NOW PUTTING A RESTRAINING ORDER ON YOU! I WILL NO LONGER ALLOW HER TO PARTICIPATE IN THESE WEEKLY MEETINGS! IF I SEE YOU WITHIN 10 FEET OF HER..." Tsunade stopped yelling and took a deep breath. Kakashi was looking at her fearfully, not really sure what to say in his defense.

"I am severely disappointed with you, Kakashi." Tsunade continued in a normal voice. If you EVER do something like this again... I will have no choice but to permanently remove you from duty."

"May I speak?" Kakashi said.

"No."

"Nothing happened!" he said anyway. "She was drunk and... a little out of her wits... but I didn't do anything to her."

"Then why did she wake up in your house this morning?" Kakashi could tell by the tone in her voice that she didn't believe him.

"I took her to my house because hers was so far away and she was about to pass out at any moment."

"That still doesn't explain why you two were sleeping in the same bed."

"I don't know how that happened." he lied. "I was drinking myself so I must have not been thinking strait."

"But Maya told me that you said--"

"I was only kidding. I didn't expect her to react so fast so I didn't get the chance to tell her so."

Tsunade stared at Kakashi long and hard, as if sizing him up. He didn't so much as blink.

"I suppose that makes sense..." She said after a while. "But what you did is still foolish. You should know by now of Maya's spit-fire temper."

"Hai." he said, glad that she believed him.

"I am leaving it to you to explain it to her, however." Tsunade smirked at him maliciously. Kakashi blanched at the idea.

"Do I have to?"

"Hey, you brought this on yourself. And you should get checked out. Those bruises look like they hurt like."

"Fine..." With that said, Kakashi bowed and turned to leave. He was stopped, however, when Tsunade spoke again.

"Oh, and Kakashi?" she said hesitantly. He turned to face her.

"Yes?" He quirked an eyebrow.

"About Maya... I trust her as she is now, but... We still know nothing about her." she said. Kakashi didn't quite understand what she meant by that. He frowned at her.

"What I mean to say is... If she IS from that village, we have to have caution. If she were to suddenly get her memory back, we don't know what to expect from her. So..." Tsunade's eyes locked with his dark one. " Don't get too attached to her, if you know what I mean. It will only hurt the both of you."

Still not fully understanding what the hokage was talking about, Kakashi left the room, still pondering her words.

----------

Kakashi stood outside Maya's apartment door and thought about what he should say to her. after a few drawn out moments, he knocked.

"Just a minute!" he heard from within. After a couple of minutes, the door opened to reveal Maya.

"Hey." he said, grinning behind his mask. The door slammed in his face. Well, that didn't go too well...

Okay, time for plan B... he thought, walking away from the door. He climbed down the stairs of the apartment complex and, once he was outside, he climbed onto the branch of the tree that was just outside of Maya's window. He looked in and saw her with her back facing him.

Tapping on the glass with his forefinger, her resisted the urge to laugh at the look on her face when she whirled around and saw him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing!" she screamed, opening the window and pointing an accusing finger at him. In reply, Kakashi shrugged. He was tempted to pull out his Icha Icha Paradise book but reasoned that it probably wouldn't be the best idea at the moment.

"What do you want?" she snapped, glaring at him with pure hatred.

"I came to apologize." he said while gazing at the ceiling. Maya was taken aback. This was the furthest thing from what she was expecting.

"For what? Taking advantage of me?" she replied angrily. "Apology NOT accepted." She tried to close the window but a hand stopped her progress.

"Actually, no." he said coolly. "As I tried to tell you earlier...when you weren't killing me... nothing happened between us last night."

'W-Wha--? But you said--"

"Oh, that? I was joking. You went ballistic before I could tell you so." He pulled out his Icha Icha Paradise and flipped to a page.

"O-oh yeah? Then how do you explain me not having a shirt on!" Kakashi looked up at this and stared at her hardly.

"You took it off yourself, remember?" he said. Maya frowned and shook her head. "Oh, so you're THAT kind of drunk..." he finished thoughtfully.

"Hey, what's THAT supposed to mean?" Maya retorted angrily. "It's not MY fault that I can't remember!"

"Of course not. Nobody said it was."

"..."

"..."

"...I don't know if I should believe you..."

"Maya, look at me. Kakashi said seriously, quite unlike himself. He pocketed his book. Maya complied and turned her blue eyes towards his dark one. "I swear, nothing like that happened last night. You can trust me. I promise." They looked into each other's eyes and there was a long moment of silence. Then--

"I believe you." She said quietly, and she really did. He could see the trust in those blue orbs. He smiled at her and she followed suit.

"um... Kakashi?" she began, turning bright red.

"hm?"

"Sorry about...about..."

"Beating me black and blue and possible making it to where I will never reproduce? Apology accepted."

Maya turned, if possible, redder. Saying a quick farewell, Kakashi departed, leaving the girl to think over things in her mind.

Why am I so red? I have nothing to be embarrassed about. Every time I'm around him, I get butterflies in my stomach... Could it be... just possibly... That I'm starting to like Kakashi?




----------------------------
Well, I had fun reading this chpater....^_^
R&R!!!
Chapter 12 The Face behind the mask by naomi_sama
Author's Notes:
moo...-.-
Chapter 12- The face behind the mask

"Naruto, when are you going to just GIVE IT UP?" Sakura cried, eyes rolling.

"When I finally see his face, of course!" Naruto replied with a mouthful of Ramen. "I won't let him outsmart me again! Kakashi-sensei is going down!"

"Moron..." Sasuke mumbled.

"HEY! SAY THAT TO MY FACE, BASTARD!" Naruto yelled savagely at the Uchiha sitting in stool next to him. Passerbys stopped to see what the commotion was about. Maya and Sakura looked at each other while rolling their eyes, each thinking the same thing. They're at it again...

"Shut up, Naruto." Sasuke replied.

"Oi! Make me!"

Naruto and Sasuke sat there and they glared.

...and glared...

...and glared...

...and--

"Well, that was surprisingly easy..." Sasuke said after about 5 minutes. Naruto frowned in confusion.

"Wha-- OH!" It dawned on him. "DAMMIT, SASUKE!"

"You're a moron."

"Shut UP!" Maya yelled. These boys were really starting to get on her nerves. They went quiet immediately and looked at her in alarm.

"How can you STAND him?" Maya whispered to Sakura. "I swear, he can be just as immature as Naruto sometimes..." Sakura turned red with embarrassment. She was, of course, talking about Sasuke. The night before, she had gone to Sakura's house to talk to her about what had happened with Kakashi and also to return a couple of her kunai that she had left at the training ground when she found something quite interesting...

qp ...FLASHBACK... qp

Maya knocked on Sakura's door... actually, she had been knocking on her door for a while... and was irked that there was no answer. Sighing, she pulled out the key her friend had given her. She didn't like using it, but Sakura had said that she could use it and let herself in whenever she wanted. Besides, Sakura was probably just taking a shower so she couldn't hear the door. Maya unlocked the door and entered.

The house was much more tidy than it had been the last time she was here... probably because she had helped the pink-haired chuunin with cleaning the place.

Suddenly, she heard what sounded like moaning coming from the kitchen. Frowning, she entered the room. What she saw made her want to face-fault and laugh at the same time.

Sakura was there, alright, but she wasn't alone. Sasuke was there too, and the two of them were kissing. Nah, that's not the right word. More like they had their tongues down each other's throats and their hands were wandering. Sasuke had Sakura pressed against the kitchen counter. At least they were still fully clothed... eheh...

Deciding that she would talk to Sakura when she was little less... er... preoccupied... Maya climbed up the stairs to put the kunai in the girl's room. Once she did that, she went back down the living room and decided to watch TV while the other two made-out in the other room. Well, what else is she supposed to do? They were bound to come up for air at some time so she decided to preoccupy herself in the meantime.

After an extremely annoying hour of watching stupid cartoons, Maya turned the television off and went into the kitchen. Her eye twitched. They were STILL kissing. Okay, this calls for extreme measures.

Without them noticing... sadly... I mean, they ARE ninjas for God's sake... Maya went to the sink and detached the faucet sprayer thingy (not sure what it's called) from the sink and pointed it at the two. She turned it on. Hahaha. I don't think I have to describe what happens next.

"AHHH! WHAT THE HELL?" The two of them broke apart and started to slip on the wet floor while Maya busied herself trying to turn it off. When she had finally accomplished it, she looked at her soaken wet friends.

"It's for your own good!" She yelled dramatically. "You have to wait till you're married!" She laughed.

"Maya?" Sasuke said incredulously.

"What was THAT for?" Sakura exclaimed, wringing out her wet shirt.

"Sorry, I was curious to see if the water would turn to steam on contact. You two seemed to be producing a lot of heat." Maya said teasingly, resisting the urge to laugh at their embarrassed faces.

"I... uh... have to go do... uh... I have to go!" Sasuke's face was as red as Maya had ever seen it as he quickly left the house. She turned to look at an equally embarrassed Sakura.

"So... How long have you two been together?" Maya said conversationally, seating herself at the dining table. Sakura followed suit and sat across from her.

"Since my parents went missing." Sakura replied quietly.

"Hey, don't be embarrassed. I won't tell anyone. I don't see what you are so ashamed of." Maya said. "What I'm curious about is why you didn't tell anyone. Isn't this what you've always wanted?"

"It's mostly because of people like Ino who would try to get between us." Sakura looked up and smiled at Maya. "And with someone like Naruto knowing, he'll never stop teasing us. He needs to get a girlfriend. I still can't believe he still hasn't noticed Hinata."

"Well, she's really quiet, so she can be pretty easy to overlook..." Maya said thoughtfully. "But he's bound to realize it eventually. So does the whole 'not showing up to class' thing have anything to do with Sasuke? Did you guys get in a lover's spat or something?"

"Hey, don't call it that!" Sakura exclaimed, turning bright red again. "And, yes, we did get in a bit of an argument... but that's over now."

"OH... So what I was witnessing was a make-up kiss... It's all making sense now." Maya couldn't help but tease her friend. This was just so funny.

"Maya!"

qp ...END FLASHBACK... qp

"C'mon, you guys! Are you going to help me, or what?" Naruto was back to talking about the mask. In case you haven't noticed, he's a really determined young man. Whoa. I just sounded like an old person!

"Oh, give it up, Naruto!" Sakura said, exasperated. "We've tried EVERYTHING to get off... Ever since we were twelve we've been trying."

"I know! That's why I've recruited some help!" Naruto ordered another bowl of ramen.

"Some help?" the other three said in unison, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, I told them to meet us here so they should be here any minute..." He dug into his new bowl happily.

"Who?" Sakura asked.

"Hey, there they are! Over here!" Naruto waved his hands in the air as Maya, Sakura, and Sasuke turned to see... Maiyuko, Rin, and Arimi. Whoa... That sentence had a LOT of names in it! Okay, getting off subject. Anyways, Maya's expression turned dark as she turned her gaze on Naruto, whose eyes widened in fear.

"You... invited... her...?" she growled. Sasuke and Sakura shook their heads at the kitsune's stupidity.

"Uh... uh... y-yeah." Naruto said uncomfortably, looking at everything except Maya. He could feel her penetrating blue gaze, however. "I mean... she's really... really nice cause she buys me ramen sometimes and... and she's really pretty and..."

"Hello, Naruto." Maiyuko said shyly as she and her friends walked over to team 7. At the sight of Maya, the two girls glared at each other intensely.

"Hi, Maiyuko." Naruto replied, glad that Maya's furious glare was focused on something else.

"So, what did you need?" Arimi asked. Naruto put on his game face and stood up on his stool.

"I need your guy's help with getting Kakashi-sensei's mask off." he said. There was a moment of silence as his statement sank in. Rin was the first to speak.

"Sure." she said, shrugging. "I'm all for it."

"I'm in." Arimi added.

"Me too." Maiyuko said, smiling. MWAHAHAHA! she thought. I finally get to see what he's hiding under there!

Naruto turned his attention to the rest of his team.

"What about you guys?" he asked. Maya and Sakura both shrugged and nodded while Sasuke merely rolled his eyes and stood up from his seat.

"I want no part in it." he said coldly.

"Aw, c'mon, Sasuke!" Naruto exclaimed. "Don't you want to see what's under his face? I bet he has a big, deformed nose!" Sasuke stopped in his tracks and pictured Kakashi with a nose like that.

"No way!" Rin added. "Maybe he has really bad acne!"

"Or a mole!"

"What if he has deformed lips!"

"Or freckles... er... no offense, Maiyuko."

"None taken... Maybe he's really good-looking and just doesn't want attention!"

"...no way..."

"He probably has no chin!"

"Or too much of a chin!"

"Maybe somebody bit his face off!"

"...Say WHAT?"

Sasuke's curiosity was at its peak and he walked back to the table.

"Maybe I WILL help you guys. I have nothing better to do anyway..."

"I knew you'd come around." Naruto smiled. "So I was thinking... maybe we could invite him to eat lunch here. He's bound to take his mask off to eat!"

"What?" Naruto frowned at the looks on their faces.

"Naruto, we have tried that so many times already, that it seems pointless to even consider trying that again." Sakura said. "We need to come up with something more original--"

"Just set up a video camera." The party turned to see who had spoken and saw that it was Arimi. All was quiet.

"That's... that's... brilliant..." Sakura cried.

"Good idea, Arimi!"

"Thanks." she replied, smiling.

"Meet me back here at 2 'o'clock!" Naruto said excitedly. "Project 'Get Kakashi's Mask Off Sabotage' is back in motion!"

Kakashi entered the Ramen shop with Naruto and, once he took a look around, he saw Maya, Sakura, Sasuke, and that Maiyuko girl and her friends, who were already eating their ramen. He smirked. He knew what they were up to. He knew the moment Naruto invited him for ramen. What puzzles him, is why they never came up with something more original. It was always the same ramen scheme. They probably thought that they would have a better chance if they had more people to watch for it. Fools.

"What can I get you, Hatake-san?" The ramen cook asked. The waitress, who had seen Kakashi's face in a previous encounter, was blushing deeply and trying to catch his eye. Maiyuko saw this and gave her a glare of death, causing the poor girl to inch away in fear.

"I'll have the special." Kakashi replied.

"Good choice." Once the cook had taken Naruto's order and had placed the two steaming bowls in front of the two, all eyes were on Kakashi. He picked up his chopsticks. Then--

--there was a loud crash coming from behind the chuunin. Everyone whirled around to see what the ruckus was about and saw that two men had gotten into a fist fight. By the time they had turned back, Kakashi's bowl was empty and his mask was back in place.

Their first reaction was to get angry, for they had once again been out-smarted by the jounin, but then they remembered a certain factor that made all this worthwhile.

Laughing like a maniac, Naruto leaped up from his seat and climbed over the ramen bar. He reached behind a tall set of glasses and pulled something small and black out of there. He leapt back over and then took off out of the restaurant.

"That moron!" Sasuke exclaimed, chasing after him.

"He's too conspicuous!" Rin said as well.

"Bye, Kakashi-kun!" Maiyuko said before being dragged off by the rest of the group. Kakashi sat their and frowned.

"What was THAT about?" He said, watching the group of teens running out of the restaurant as if it were about to explode. "It's not like I'm going to take it from them." Smirking, he turned to the ramen cook, who smirked back just as evilly. They were in for a surprise.

"Yes! We've finally got him!" Naruto cheered, waving the camera in the air. He, as well as the rest of the group, were all crowded around the television.

"Yeah, yeah. That's great Naruto." Sakura said, rolling her eyes. "Now put it in. I want to see his face!"

"Okay, okay." Naruto replied. "Crush my enthusiasm, why don't you." Grumbling, the blonde took out the tape from the camera and plopped it in the VCR. At first, all they could see was static, but soon after, the screen became blue. A moment later, the video began to play and they all went quiet with anticipation.

The shot seemed to be taken outside and it was zoomed in on a snail the was moving down the sidewalk.

"Hello, Mr. Snail! What a wonderful morning, huh?" The voice in the TV sounded like Naruto. Everybody sweatdropped.

"Naruto, what--" Maya began.

"Eh, oops!" Naruto turned bright red and pushed fast-forward. "Sorry, forgot that was on there."

The scene was now at the restaurant and Kakashi had just gotten his ramen. They could hear the crash and the two men fighting in the background. Everybody in the room held their breath as Kakashi reached up and pulled his mask down. What they saw made them facefault anime-style. For just as Kakashi was pulling the mask down, the ramen cook stepped in front of the camera and started to clean off some of the glasses. Coincidence? I think not.

"NOOOOOOOOO!" Naruto cried.

"That bastard!" Maya yelled, punching the ground. "He probably knew this was coming the whole time!"

"Hey, don't call my Kakashi-dearest a bastard!" Maiyuko exclaimed.

"Make me!" she bit back savagely. Well, let's just say the two temperamental girls had to be chained to the chairs to keep from killing each other. I feel no need to go into detail.

"Okay, we'll have to come up with a better plan." Sakura said optimistically.

"Like what?" Naruto replied.

"Uh..." she said. "Anybody got any ideas?"

"Let's seduce him into it!" Maiyuko said excitedly from the chair she was bound to. Everybody ignored her.

"How about when he's sleeping?" Rin suggested. "We can sneak into his room at night and just pull his mask down, take a picture, and be outta there! I bet we could sell the picture for a lot of money, too."

"It won't work." Maya said. "He's a really light sleeper."

"And how do you know that, Maya?" Naruto mused with a suggestive eyebrow.

"...WHAT are you implying, Naruto?" Maya replied in a deathly quiet voice. The edge her voice contained was enough to shut the rambunctious blonde up.

"What about the shower?" Sasuke said. "He's got to at least take it off then."

"Yeah, that's perfect!" Maya exclaimed. "He has a window in his shower so I bet one of us could look in and see his face. He usually takes them in the morning, but I bet we could somehow get him dirty so that he'll take one tonight!"

"You seem to know a lot about Kakashi-sensei." Sasuke replied. "How do you know so much?"

"Uh... um... well, he hates going to hospitals so I have to check up on him and sometimes heal him after missions!" Nice cover-up, Maya.

I need to learn to keep my mouth shut... she thought. People are going to start assuming things.

"The shower?" Maiyuko cried. "I'll do it! I'll do it!" Everybody looked at her.

"Shut-up, Maiyuko." they all said in unison.

"Sasuke, you and Naruto should do it. Here, take this camera. Get some good pictures!" Rin said, handing him a small disposable camera. "The rest of us could find a way to get him dirty."

"Whatever..." Sasuke replied, taking the camera. He had a bad feeling about this.

----------

Kakashi was covered in mud. How, he wasn't entirely sure. One minute, he was sleeping under his favorite tree, and the next, he was fully awake having had a bucket full of mud dumped on him from above. He had a feeling of who it was, for right as he was looking up to see who had done it to him, he saw a girl disappear in a flash of pink. A certain pink-haired chuunin was gonna get it when he next saw her.

He unlocked his front door and made a beeline for the bathroom. The mud in his hair was starting to annoy him, so he wanted to take a quick shower. But just as he was taking his jounin vest off, he sensed two familiar chakras standing right outside his window. The silver-haired jounin smirked.

"Shut-up, Naruto! He'll notice us!" Sasuke exclaimed, hitting the loud-mouthed blonde on the head.

"Ow!" Naruto cried, rubbing the sore spot. "Dammit, Sasuke, That hurt!"

"Shut up!"

"Fine! Hey, look! There he is!" Naruto pointing in through the window. They couldn't actually see Kakashi, for the shower curtain was closed, but they could see the outline of his shadow and it looked as if he were undressing. They held their breath. Finally! They were going to see their sensei's face!

Sasuke whipped out his camera as the curtain started to open, revealing... the back of his head. The two of them face-faulted. Once they had regained their composure, they watched closely until he finally turned around. What they saw made their hearts temporarily stop.

It was ugly, to say the least.

Wait, scratch that. More like it was hideous.

One eyebrow was bigger than the other, his nose was twice as big as a normal man, the nose had a gigantic mole on it, his lips were twisted, and he had buck teeth. All in all, he was the ugliest man they had ever seen. In fact, he was so ugly that they could have passed out. Wait, nevermind. They just did pass out. Oh, how cute. Naruto fell on top of Sasuke. They're gonna flip out when they wake up like that. Ahem. Sorry. Off-subject.

Kakashi laughed and removed the Halloween mask when he saw his two students faint. It was just the reaction he was hoping for. The idiots. They were the ones that were with him when he bought the mask. In fact, the whole reason he had bought the mask was for if they ever pulled a stunt like this. He chuckled light-heartedly.

He redressed and went outside where the two boys were laying unconscious. He smirked as an idea came to mind. As he was putting the costume mask on Sasuke's face, he suddenly saw another person's chakra. It seemed strangely familiar. Once the mask was in place, he straitened up to see who was approaching him. To his surprise, it was that Maiyuko girl who always hung out with Naruto. For some odd reason, she was looking at him really funny. Hmmm... actually, it was more like bluntly staring. She looked to be memorized by something and her face was bright red.

"Hello, Maiyuko. Here to get a shot at getting my mask off?" He asked conversationally.

"...I was supposed to come here to check on Naruto and Sasuke..." she said without blinking. The staring was starting to get to him. Suddenly, it dawned on him. He forgot to put his normal mask back on when he took the Halloween one off. He reached up to check and, sure enough, it wasn't there. Crap.

Before he could even think of recovering his face, Maiyuko raised a camera and shot a picture of him. As he was about to stop her, she disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Shit! He didn't know where she lived!

----------

Naruto blinked and sat up. It was nighttime. Why was he sleeping on the ground? He had just had a really scary dream about killer trolls with big noses and twisted lips. Wait, wasn't he supposed to be at Kakashi's? Looking around, he saw something that made his heart stop. Laying next to him on the ground was a dude with a big nose, a large mole, and twisted lips. It suddenly got very quiet. Then--

"AIIIEEE! IT WASN'T A DREAM!" He screamed and ran away from there as if he were on fire, resulting in Sasuke jerking awake from the noise.

"Eh?" he sat up and looked around. He saw Naruto running away from him like some kind of maniac. His hand shot up to his face and he pulled the mask off. Standing up, he threw it down on the ground. "Damn it!" He yelled. "He tricked us again!"

----------

He looked at his surroundings in shock. An eerie silence coursed throughout Konoha. The stench of blood was thick in the air and bodies were strewn everywhere. Everyone was dead.

"No..." he gasped as a terrible sight greeted his gaze. "Naruto!" Said boy was laying in a pool of his own blood. He raced to his side and put his hand close to his former student's mouth. He was still breathing! It was ragged, but he was still alive. He turned Naruto over onto his back.

"Naruto, can you hear me? It's Kakashi!"

Slowly, Naruto opened his eyes and stared up at him with pain, grief, and most of all question.

"Kakashi... Maya, she... she's a monster..." With that said, Naruto took his last breath before slipping into darkness. Kakashi stared at the blonde sadly but his mind was on something else. What did he mean by 'monster'? She couldn't have done this... could she? He stood up and once again made his way through the village. He came across many of his friends and allies. Genma, Iruka, Kurenai... everybody. Students too. Even Neji, the great Hyuuga prodigy, he found dead. He couldn't believe this was happening. This is a dream... isn't it?

He felt his heart tighten in his chest when he came across Sasuke and Sakura, but this time he didn't stop to check them. He needed to find Maya. He had to know.

Despair settled over his mind as her limp, bloody form came into view.

"Maya..." he whispered, kneeling next to her. He gathered her into his arms and checked for a pulse. She was alive, but barely. The red liquid from her wounds soaked into his clothing, matting her hair against her face as it paled with the loss of blood.

He felt a knot of pressure rise in his chest as he cradled her limp form against his chest as her hot, sticky blood flowed over his hands. Her eyes opened and she looked up at him sadly.

"Kakashi... I'm sorry... I... I couldn't stop it..." she said weakly. She smiled bitterly before closing her eyes and slipping into a permanent blanket of darkness.

A haze of anger and despair settled over his mind and his lips formed the same pattern of denial over and over again. Hot tears trailed down his face as he embraced the lifeless body to him even harder. As he sat there holding her, one realization burst upon him with the inarguable truth... He loved her.

"Oh, Kakashi!" someone teasingly called his name and, not really caring, he looked up to see a person standing before him. What he saw paralyzed him with shock. That person was none other than Maya herself. But then how... He looked down at the woman in his arms. Maya. How can she been here and there at the same time? But wait... there was something different about the Maya standing in front of him than the one in his arms.

She was... smiling. But that smile was so unlike Maya's usual cheerful grin. It was more like a sneer, filled with hatred and bloodlust. He couldn't see her eyes, for most of her upper face was darkened by shadows.

"Maya..."

She laughed a cold, heartless laugh at that and she stepped closer. He could now fully see her eyes. They were dim gray and there were blue lighting bolts in her pupils and ending at the outside edge of her irises. Her face was radiating a murderous intent and she pulled out a kunai.

"Maya... no..." he heard himself say as she launched herself at him before piercing him in the heart with the kunai.

----------

Kakashi's eyes shot open with alarm and he launched himself automatically in a sitting position, kunai raised. After a few moments of heavy breathing, he realized that it was all just a dream and that everyone was still alive.

Sighing, he sank back into a laying position on the bed and closed his eyes, still heavily breathing. He was covered in a thin layer of sweat. Unable to get back to sleep, seeing everyone important to you dead could do that to a ninja, he climbed out of bed and made his way to his window before opening it and letting the cool night air enter his room, calming his senses. He looked at his alarm clock. It was only 1:30 am. Damn.

He decided to go outside and leap on a few rooftops to calm his nerves. His mind was still reeling from the dream. Once he found a comfortable rooftop to sit on, he looked out over Konoha. He always liked the view of Konoha from high places. It was very nice. But, at the moment, his mind was on other things.

What was that dream about, anyway? he thought, unable to get the image of the sadistic Maya out of his head. Do I... really love her...? he wasn't entirely sure. In the dream he was, but it was just a dream. Did he really feel that way about her?
He smiled as Maya's cheerful, pretty face entered his mind's eye. Maybe so...

"I'm sorry, Kei..." He said softly, looking up at the sky. "I guess I couldn't keep my promise to you after all." He had always swore that he would never fall in love with anyone ever again. But now... he was starting to wonder if he could or should keep that promise.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he heard what sounded like shouting coming from the house below him. It sounded as if a male and female were screaming at each other at the top of their voices. He couldn't even tell what they were saying and he still felt extremely uncomfortable. The voices suddenly stopped.

All of a sudden, there was a scream followed by what sounded like something being broken. There was the sound of shattered glass several times.

What... the hell... is going on in there...? Kakashi inwardly wondered, frowning deeply. There was more shouting followed by a slamming of a door. Someone had just gone outside. Curious as he was to see who it was, he reasoned that it was none of his business. To his surprise, that person climbed up the side of the house to the roof. It was Maiyuko. There was a moment of silence as they stared at each other.

Maiyuko's face was... well her left cheek was swelling up, and her mouth was bleeding. Her jaw was bruised and her face was covered in tear stains. Kakashi raised an eyebrow at her appearance.

She frowned at him, obviously trying to act like everything was okay.

"Kakashi-kun? What are you doing here?" She asked without batting an eyelid. The shy tone in her voice was gone and replaced by something much harsher. It probably had something to do with the state she was in.

"Umm... I had no idea that this was your rooftop. I was just enjoying the view..."

"..." Maiyuko wiped at her face, trying not to let him see that she had been crying. She climbed the rest of the way onto the rooftop and took a seat next to him. Kakashi felt a pang of pity.

"What... happened?" He asked her. She looked away.

"Nothing." She said calmly.

"Who do you live with?"

"My... Father. And my little brother Seiji." Ah. So she didn't want to talk about her father. He could tell by her voice.

"Where is your mother?"

"Died two years ago."

"Oh..." Kakashi was slightly taken aback when she had said it so bluntly. "Do you often come up here or something?" He asked, trying to change the subject.

"Every other night. It's the only way I can get away from him." she replied. "My mother and I used to come up here when he drank. She was calle out on a mission and never came back. I continued the tradition, but now he drinks everyday."

"I see... Did he do that to you?" He asked, referring to her face. She flinched and looked away.

"Do you ever wish..." She said, clenching her fists. "That you could be stronger? That you could protect those you love?"

"hmm... A long time ago." He replied. "But everyone I love is dead."

Maiyuko glanced at him in surprise, but said nothing. She felt quite happy actually. He was actually somewhat opening up to her. It's small, but it's still making progress. The remark he made, however, was still echoing in her head. ...everyone I love is dead... She look at her hands, which were folded in her lap. She had lost her mother... but she still had people she cared about. If it weren't for Seiji, she didn't think she could live with her abusive father. But to lose everyone...

"I'm sorry." she said quietly. He replied with a wave of his hand. They sat in silence for a while, looking at the view of Konoha. Kakashi was the next to speak.

"Why do you let him hurt you like that? You're a ninja. You should be able to defend yourself."

"For Seiji." she replied. "You see, when he drinks, he gets really abusive. If I let him hit me a lot, he wouldn't hurt my little brother as much."

"Where's your brother right now?" he asked.

"He's hiding in the closet. I always tell him to go there until our father drinks himself to sleep. Once that happens, I come down from the roof and go get him. It's become kind of a daily routine for us."

"Maiyuko... You really should tell Tsunade about this--"

"No!" Maiyuko cried. "Don't tell her, please! This is my problem and I don't want anyone getting involved in our family affairs. I'll be fine..." She brought her hand up to her face and used the medic jutsu Tsunade taught her to heal her face.

"If you say so..." he replied, still unsure of what he should do in a situation like this. He wanted this to stop, but he didn't want to do anything against her will. For now, he decided to just let it go.

"About that picture..." He began.

"Oh, that?" She said, seeming a little more cheerful. She pulled a photograph from her pocket. "I haven't showed it to anyone yet."

"Could you give it to me? Please?" He begged.

"Hmmm... what's in it for me?" She asked slyly.

"Uhhmm..."

"I have an idea... I'll give you the picture. But you'll have to do something for me first..." She said, a maniacal grin spreading across her face. Kakashi looked on in fear.

"And... umm... what is that...?" He asked, under the impression that she would ask him to do something kinky. I hope she doesn't want to sleep with me... He thought nervously.

"In order to get the picture, you must go out with me!" She smirked at the look on his face.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=1919