Koibito by Foxter
Summary: Definition for Koibito:
lover, sweetheart. Also used as a pet name for one's love.


Kohaku Shii and Sasuke Uchiha are both starting a new school year at Konoha Gakuen. Both desire to make this year stand out from the previous. Will a school love interest do the trick?
Categories: Alternate Universe & Crossovers > High School Fics, Het Romance > Fluff Characters: All
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: AU, OOC
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3560 Read: 3484 Published: 03/10/11 Updated: 09/10/11

1. Prologue by Foxter

2. Chapter 001. by Foxter

3. Chapter 002. by Foxter

Prologue by Foxter
April 1st. The beginning of the school term in Konoha, Hokkaido, Japan. Another year for the prodigy, Sasuke Uchiha to show up those beneath him, and to challenge those who are worthy of being on his level.

With his usual uninterested glare, Sasuke took one last glace at himself in the lone mirror that hung in his simple, yet extravagant bedroom.

I still don’t understand why I’m forced to spend time with people below me. He thought to himself as he subtly fixed his red Konoha Gakuen Tie. Too bad I don’t have a choice.

A light knock echoed from his bedroom door. “Sasuke, are you ready for school?“ Mikoto asked kindly.

“Yeah, I’ll be down in a few. Give me a few moments.” Sasuke responded, with a certain softness in his voice that he only showed to his mother.

“I’m sure you look handsome as always, no need to stand there fixing your tie Sasuke.” his mother teased. “But I’ll be waiting downstairs.” she added, continuing her journey down the set of wooden stairs that separated Sasuke’s bedroom from the rest of the house.

Maybe I shouldn’t be concentrating so much on this tie, it might give me unneeded attention from 1st years. Or maybe even worse like…Saukra or Ino. Sasuke let out a fearful shiver at the thought of the events that occurred the past year. All of them terrible experiences on Sasuke’s end.

But despite it all, I hope this year will be…different. Sasuke thought to himself as he made his way through his bedroom door.

*


Kohaku happily spun around the winding staircase that led to the bottom level of her family's home.

“Someone’s excited. All ready for school?” Her father, Hiro, questioned with a smile.

“I guess you could say that. I’m just excited about seeing everyone again.” She responded quietly with a small bright smile.

“Plus you’re a dork.” Keiichi, her brother, added from the kitchen.

“You wish.” Kohaku responded playfully. “Aren’t you excited Keiichi?”

“Of course not-”

“Of course he is. This year he’s going to concentrate on his schoolwork, rather than girls. Right, Keiichi?” Hiro answered with a scornful look on his face.

“You bet!” Keiichi responded, sweat dropping slightly. He’s already on my case and I haven’t even started school yet.

“Shouldn’t you two be leaving? School’s about to start in a few minutes.” their mother advised.

“You really want us out the house huh?” Keiichi retorted while collecting his backpack and jacket that previously sat on a chair.

“We’ll see you guys later.” Kohaku bided after she grabbed her backpack and sweater off the counter. “Hope you have a good day.” she added as she follower Keiichi out the front door.

After walking a few moments, Keiichi looked over to his younger sister. “Hey Ko.” he called, gaining her attention. “What do you think this year will be like?” he asked out the blue.

Kohaku shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. I just hope it’ll be different from last year.” she responded thoughtfully.

Keiichi shrugged his shoulders also. “Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. it just depends on what you do with it.”

“Wow Chi. You should so intellectual right now.” she teased.

“Ha. Very funny. C’mon, we don’t want to be late for the first day of classes.” he responded, increasing his pace towards Konoha Gakuen.

Kohaku increased her speed also, until she fell back into step with her older brother.

I’ll make this year different. One way or another. She promised to herself with a light smile tugging at her lips.
Chapter 001. by Foxter
With his trademark stoic expression, Sasuke made his way through the hallways of Konoha Academy, easily avoiding every acknowledgement of every girl.

He sighed quietly once he finally reached his homeroom class, Room 4-B. One that would either be his haven…or his hell.

Slowly, he swung open the door, only to reveal a class scantily full with only a handful of students. One who gave off the vibe of ‘non-fan girls’.

“Welcome! Are you a first year?” a woman asked from her desk.

“No. Second.” Sasuke replied simply.

“Great. You’re in the right place then. I’m Shizune Sensei, I’ll be your homeroom teacher from her on!” she introduced, smiling brightly.

Sasuke simply nodded his head in acknowledgement before taking a seat in the back of the classroom, only to be able to keep an eye on everyone.

Kiba, Shino, Hinata, Sai and Choji. He listed off mentally as he named familiar people. Not too bad of a group.

Kiba looked behind him at Sasuke, with a sour look on his face. “He probably thinks he’s the best person in this class.” he complained to Shino. “He has another thing coming.”

“I don’t think he said anything about being the best person in this class, Kiba.” Shino responded in his usual calm voice.

“Who’s side are you on!”

“No one’s. I’m just stating the obvious.”

“Well you should cut it out. Besides, everyone knows that the Uchiha family is made up of snobby people.” Kiba said turning back around in his chair.

Sasuke smirked to himself, having caught onto Kiba’s opinion. The only snobby person I’m aware of is Itachi. And he isn’t attending this school anymore. He thought to himself, looking out the window to his right.

Perhaps his absence would make this year more enjoyable. He thought to himself hopefully.

*


“Have fun! Don’t get lost though Kohaku!” Keiichi called from behind her as he ran off to his homeroom.

This definitely isn’t fun. Kohaku thought to herself as she looked down at a school map. Does room 4-B even exist?

“Are you lost?” a calm voice asked from beside her.

She turned around to face where the voice was being emitted from. “Just a little.” she admitted sheepishly.

The mysterious person smiled lightly. “I can probably help you. What room are you looking for?”

“Room 4-B.” she responded, looking down at her schedule.

“Hm. That’s right beside my room. C’mon, I know a shortcut to it.” he instructed, walking down another long hallway.

More walking? Kohaku thought to herself sadly as she slowly trailed behind her tour guide.

After a few minutes of walking, numerous hallways, tens of thousands of turns, the man that helped Kohaku finally stopped before a door.

“Room 4-B” he said, moving aside to allow her entrance to the class room.

“Thank you.” Kohaku said sincerely, bowing slightly before she entered the classroom.

“Hi there!” Shizune greeted from beside her. “Are you a first year?”

“No, I’m a second year.” Kohaku replied with a small smile.

“Perfect! I’m Shizune Sensei. I’ll be your homeroom teacher for the rest of this year. Go ahead and take a seat anywhere. We’ll begin class in a few more moments.” she explained happily.

“Thank you.” Kohaku whispered before taking a seat near the front of the classroom.

Her honey eyes slowly scaled across the classroom as she examined everything that decorated the otherwise plain beige walls.

From the corner of her eyes, she slyly took glances at the unknown people seated next to her.

A shy girl, with indigo hair and gorgeous lilac eyes. Why does she look so afraid. She thought to herself.

As if she heard her thoughts, the girl timidly looked over at her, gave a sad shy smile before turning away.

I didn’t think I looked that intimidating. Kohaku joked to herself as she looked over at the opposite side.

He looks wild. She smirked to herself. He looks creepy. He looks…weird. Then he looks…cuddly. Is that really everyone that’s in the class? She asked to herself as she turned around fully in her seat.

In an instant, Kohaku’s honey eyes locked onto pure black ones. The two maintained their eye contact for who knows how long.

Kohaku finally found the will to break away, and turns back around to the front. He looks…unhappy. She thought to herself, pouting slightly.

*


Sasuke smirked slightly once she looked away. Doesn’t seem like a fan girl to me. He thought to himself.

Kohaku abruptly rose from her seat, earning everyone attention, and slowly made her way to the back of the room towards Sasuke.

Sasuke’s smirk slowly shrunk down to his usual expression. I guess I spoke too soon. he thought to himself, as he watched the dull blond headed girl take the seat in front of him.

“What’s you name?” she asked kindly.

Sasuke stared at her, trying to figure out her motive. “Why?” he asked calmly.

She shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. I was just wondering I guess.”

“Until you could come up with an actual reason, don’t ask.”

Kohaku’s smile slowly disappeared. She bit her lower lip, symbolizing her thought process. Taking in a deep breath, she leaned over to his desk.

“Because you seem interesting. You seem lonely. And you look…unhappy.” she responded quietly.

Sasuke tensed briefly at her last reason. “I don’t care if you find me interesting. I’m not lonely. And why would me being unhappy matter to you?” he spat.

“That’s fine. And if you say you’re not, that just makes me not believe you even more. And everyone deserves to be happy, don't you think?” she responded.

Sasuke maintained his glare at her calm expression.

“So, be fair. I gave you reasons. Answer me.” she commanded softly.

“What’s your name?” he countered.

She pouted slightly. “It’s rude to answer questions with another question.”

“It’s also rude to judge a person off their looks.”

“You do it all the time, I’m sure.” she responded.

Sasuke knew she was right. There wasn’t a person on the planet that didn’t judge someone by the way the appeared. He knew there wasn’t any use in denying it.

“Sasuke.” he finally answered.

A light smile grew onto her face. “Nice to meet you Sasuke.” she responded before getting up from her seat. “We’ll talk again.”

“You’re not going to tell me your name?” he asked, slightly irritated.

Kohaku shook her head. “Now why would I do that? You didn’t give me any reasons.” she responded, before walking back to her original seat.

Sasuke continued to glare at the back of her head, knowing surely she could feel it.

Her words ran through his head. “and you look unhappy.”

He looked down at the wooden desk he sat at. Could it really be that obvious?
Chapter 002. by Foxter
Eager to escape, Sasuke rushed out his homeroom wanting to go anywhere. Anywhere away from the girl who read him like a book.

“And you seem unhappy.” Unhappy? What about me gives off that I’m not happy? Sasuke thought to himself coldly as he made his way to his first period. It shouldn’t matter to her, so it doesn’t matter to me.

After a few more moments of walking through the crowded hallways, and ignoring all the calls he received, Sasuke finally reached his first period.

“Japanese Literature.” he said a loud to himself as he stood outside the door.

Calmly, he walked into the classroom only to almost immediately lock eyes with the same girl he wanted to avoid.

A light smile grew across her face as she recognized him.

“Hi Sasuke.” she greeted as he walked passed her to his seat.

“What, are you following me now?” he asked coldly as he took the seat behind her.

“Hmm.” she hummed going into thought. “I’m sure you got here after I did, Sasuke.” she responded smugly. “Lighten up a little.” she advised.

I’ll lighten up when I don’t see you. Sasuke thought to himself as he studied the gold locks of the girl in front of him.

Sasuke’s irritation level slowly rose as he reviewed the few words that he exchanged with her just a few minutes earlier.

Looking over to his right, he spotted the most familiar person in his life. “Naruto.” he sighed as he watched him inhale and exhale while sleeping deeply.

Now I have to deal with both of them. He thought to himself, sighing inwardly.

“Sasuke!” an energetic voice called “I didn’t know you were in this class!” Naruto exclaimed happily. “I’m glad I know someone, I thought I’d be in here all by myself.”

“I don’t think that would’ve been a bad thing Naruto.” he smirked.

Naruto pouted slightly. “Why don’t you ever have anything nice to say?”

“There’s nothing about you that’s nice, loser.”

“Bastard.” Naruto mumbled.

Never denied it before.

Sasuke once again looked out the window that filtered in the sunlight.

He abruptly shifted his gaze back over to Kohaku, as she cheerfully studied everyone around her.

“Hey!” Naruto called, gaining everyone around him attention, other than Kohaku. “Hey! You in the front.” he called again, this time gaining her attention.

“Yes?” she asked slightly confused.

“I’ve never seen you here before. What’s your name?” he asked, growing his trademark grin.

“My name’s Kohaku. But I actually went here last year.” she responded, having a smile grace her lips.

“Oh… well it’s nice to meet you!” Naruto responded cheerfully.

“So you’d tell that loser your name, but not me?” Sasuke asked coldly, leaning towards Kohaku's left side. “Why?”

Kohaku shrugged her shoulders. “Like I said before, you didn’t give many reasons.”

“Other than telling you my own name.”

“Relax. It was a joke, alright Sasuke?” she said with a light smile. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you my name. It’s Kohaku Shii.”

Sasuke simply smirked in response.

Kohaku Shii. He repeated mentally.

His eyes veered over to the doorway, where a silver headed man had been standing for who knows how long.

“Hi there class.” he greeted aloofly. “I’m Kakashi Sensei, and this is Japanese Literature for second year students.” he added, walking over to his desk.

“I only have a few rules:” he paused “First, this is not a rendezvous meeting. This is an honors class and I would like you all to treat it as one. Second, I expect you all know how to act, I shouldn’t have to tell you even once. And finally,” he paused again “let’s have some fun!”

Everyone in the class sweat dropped mentally at his sudden mood change. Everyone but Sasuke.

He’s our sensei? He thought to himself scoldingly.

“You” Kakashi called, pointing in the direction of Kohaku and Sasuke.

Neither responded, not knowing who he was acknowledging.

Kakashi walked over to them before leaning into Kohaku. “You.” he repeated.

“Yes, Kakashi Sensei?” he responded quietly.

“I haven’t seen you here before. Are you new?” he asked happily.

“No…I guess you could say I wasn’t involved in anything last year.” she explained.

She went here last year? Sasuke asked himself as he tried to remember her in anyway.

“Hmm. Alright.” he replied before walking over to the board. “I don’t like giving out work. So we won’t be having a lot this year. All I want you to do is listen to my lectures, take a few notes and pass the test. Shouldn’t be too heard.” he explained, still facing the board.

“What’s the point of being in an honors class if we’re not going to receive any work?” Sasuke asked in his usual stoic tone.

Kakashi turned around with a smile reflecting in his eyes. “You’re more than willing to give out work if you’d like. But I won’t be the one to deal with the chorus of whines from your fellow students, nor will I be the one to grade anything.”

“A main part of a teachers job is to grade work. You should’ve been aware of that when you became one.”

“I didn’t want to be one. They asked me to.” Kakashi responded “You’re quick to speak, but do you go over the things you’re about to say before you do?”

Sasuke grew silent at his comment.

Happy with the outcome, Kakashi walked over to his desk plopping down into the seat. “We’re not doing anything today, just relax.” he instructed as he pulled out a particular orange book.

“You should really cut people some slack Sasuke.” Kohaku expressed sadly. “Every time you say comments like that, you’re that much closer to losing a friend.”

“I don’t need friends.”

“Says the guy who’s unhappy.”

“I’m not unhappy.” He growled.

Kohaku went silent. “I can’t help but think otherwise.” she whispered, mostly to herself.

Kohaku turned back around in her desk, facing the front.

How can someone be so unaware of their emotions? Unless…he doesn’t have any at all. She thought to herself, unknowingly cocking her head to the right in confusion.

That girl. Sasuke growled mentally. Everything she says irritates me. he thought, clenching his fists tightly.

Mind your own business, or things won’t turn out too pretty for you.

*


After his first day of pure hell, thanks to numerous girls and once certain honey eyed blond, Sasuke finally found himself waiting in front of the academy for his mother.

With his uninterested mood, Sasuke scanned his surroundings, briefly studying those around him.

Had he not done that though, he wouldn’t have noticed said honey eyed blond waiting for someone just a few feet away.

Kohaku carefully hopped up onto a large stone, happily taking advantage of the seating space.

Sasuke’s expression slowly turned into a scowl as he thought about their previous conversations.

He sighed loudly. Hopefully she won’t notice me though.

“Oh Sasuke!” a high pitched voice called from behind him.

Already knowing who it could possibly be, Sasuke did everything in his power to ignore the voice.

“I guess you didn’t hear me, Sasuke. How was your first day back? Isn’t it terrible we don’t have any classes together?”

“Saukra. Just like last year, I don’t wish to talk to you about anything. Ever. Not now, not tomorrow, not next week, not next year. Never.” He replied coldly.

“It wouldn’t be all that bad Sasuke.” Sakura countered.

Looking over at her, Sasuke flashed a simple smile. “Sakura, I promise I’ll talk to you when I’m willing. Just not now, alright?”

A bright smile grew on her lips. “Alright, Sasuke. I’ll be waiting!” she said before happily walking off, past Kohaku.

Sasuke watched Sakura disappeared behind a corner before locking eye contact with Kohaku once again. So much for her not seeing me. He thought, maintaining his glare.

At least he smiled when he was with that girl. She thought to herself happily before turning away. Wonder why she left so quickly though.

“Kohaku!” a voice called from the stairway that led into the school.

Kohaku turned to face the voice before waving happily. “Hey Keiichi!” she responded with a wide smile.

Keiichi? She has a boyfriend? Sasuke smirked to himself, curious to who it could be.

“Sorry you had to wait so long.” he said, finally reaching her. “Has dad called yet?”

Kohaku looked down at her pink phone. “Nope. He probably thinks we went to get something to eat.”

Dad?

“Great. Because I don’t want to rush home.”

“Do you want me to carry that for you?” Kohaku offered happily, pointing at Keiichi’s sports bag.

“You sure you want to? It’s pretty heavy.”

“Positive.” she responded before strapping the bag strap across her chest.

“Aren’t you a sweet little sister?” Keiichi teased before turning towards Sasuke to begin their journey home.

Don’t tell me their heading this way. Sasuke thought to himself, sighing lightly.

Sasuke kept his eye on the two as the passed in front of him.

Before she disappeared from his line of sight though, he saw Kohaku as she slowly looked back at him, having a light smile grace her lips.

Sasuke thought nothing of it, as he saw his mother finally drive up to him.

Nonchalantly, he got into the car and waited silently as they made their way home.

*


“Dinner’s in 30 minutes Sasuke.” his mother advised as he marched up the stairs.

Once in his room, he slowly placed his school bag on the floor next to his desk before plopping down onto his bed.

“You seem unhappy.” “you’re that much closer to losing a friend.” “…I can’t help but think otherwise.”

Kohaku’s voice and words floated through Sasuke’s mind, causing him to question himself more and more.

Everything she says irritates me…but I can’t help but get the feeling that she’s right. He thought to himself helplessly. How can she read me so easily? Haven’t I hidden my emotions enough? he asked himself before rolling over into his sheets.

I don’t know a thing about her and yet…she knows everything about me.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=10563