The Battle of Wills of Fire by TenFoxDemon
Summary: The final battle between Naruto and Sasuke begins in this epic conclusion to the series!
Categories: General Fiction > Naruto Shippuuden Characters: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Dark
Warnings: Dark, Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 12967 Read: 18399 Published: 25/08/11 Updated: 28/08/11

1. Chapter 1 - The Wills of Fire by TenFoxDemon

2. Chapter 2 - Burning Sorrow by TenFoxDemon

3. Chapter 3 - Student vs Master by TenFoxDemon

4. Chapter 4 - The Next Generation by TenFoxDemon

5. Chapter 5 - Number One Unpredictable Ninja by TenFoxDemon

6. Chapter 6 - Insanity by TenFoxDemon

7. Chapter 7 - Curiousity by TenFoxDemon

8. Chapter 8 - Old Rivals by TenFoxDemon

9. Chapter 9 - Prison of Folly by TenFoxDemon

10. Chapter 10 - Empty by TenFoxDemon

11. Chapter 11 - Reunion by TenFoxDemon

12. Chapter 12 - Reunion II by TenFoxDemon

13. Chapter 13 - Kyuubi by TenFoxDemon

14. Chapter 14 - Resolution by TenFoxDemon

15. Chapter 15 - Conclusion by TenFoxDemon

Chapter 1 - The Wills of Fire by TenFoxDemon
The Battle of Wills of Fire: Part One

“Naruto, you are a fool.” Sasuke spat. His eyes flared as he activated his Mangekyō Sharingan.

“I’m here to bring you back to Konoha, as I promised.” Naruto was calm. He had envisioned this conversation a thousand times in his mind. His stood tall and firm, while chakra flowed into his body from his surroundings as he gathered energy for sage mode.

Sakura was behind Naruto, tightening her gloves as she glanced at her partner’s stern expression and Sasuke’s chilling stare.

Looks like these two aren’t going to show any mercy. Sakura recalled her near death experience with Sasuke when she tried to kill him herself after news of Sasuke’s attack at the Kage meeting. She also remembered Naruto’s ultimatum that he will die with Sasuke at their final battle. I must help Naruto, Sakura thought to herself. This battle is just as much mine as it is his.

“How many times do I have to repeat myself?” Sasuke replied. “The only reason I will go back to Konoha is to destroy it for what they have done to my clan!”

Sasuke charges, as his chidori shot through his arm and concentrated at his right hand. Naruto tensed, and summoned three shadow clones, one of which immediately molded a rasengan, as the rest charged back at Sasuke. The young Uchiha strikes through two shadow clones with ease and run towards the original. Naruto’s raises his rasengan just in time and the two ninjas lock in place; the sound of Naruto’s rasengan grinding against Sasuke’s chidori fills the air.

Sakura immediately seizes her chance to strike and leaps behind Sasuke, kunai in hand. This time, I won’t hesitate.
Sasuke senses her approach, and creates a full body chidori, rebounding Sakura back. At the same time, he draws his katana and slices Naruto’s arm, drawing blood. Naruto winces in pain and loses his rasengan as he retreats back. Sasuke immediately creates a fireball aimed at Naruto.

No time to rest! Naruto leaps to safety and summons a swarm of shadow clones and begins a taijutsu assault on Sasuke.

“Humph! It’s useless Naruto! With my eyes, I know exactly which the original is!”

Sasuke throws a storm of shurikens and eliminates all the clones and the air fills with smoke. Suddenly, the smoke clears as Naruto strikes through and lands a punch square in Sasuke’s face and sends him flying backwards. Sasuke regains his balance in the air and lands on his feet, but his expression betrayed his surprise and anger.

“You’re faster than before.” Sasuke creates a current of chidori though his katana and points it at Naruto. Naruto summons all his sage chakra and creates a rasen shuriken. The extreme energy concentrated at his palm pulses as he throws it at Sasuke.

What unbelievable energy! Sasuke quickly slices it with his katana; the two halves explode behind him. But Naruto has already created two more clones each equipped with a giant rasengan and charges at Sasuke once again. Sasuke quickly blows a stream of fire and dispatches both clones and with astonishing speed, he appears behind Naruto, katana ready to strike. Naruto reacts just in time and lands a kick, creating some distance between them.

Shit, my sage mode is gone. Looks like I used up too much chakra. Naruto looks up and his eyes meet with Sasuke’s as he activates the first stage of his cursed seal. Black streaks begin to spread and cover his face. Naruto clinched his fist. Damn you, Sasuke. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Sakura posed to strike.

“Stand back, Sakura! This is out of your league!”

“Naruto, let me help you! You don’t have to take this burden alone!”

“No. This IS my burden. This fight is reason I’ve trained so hard. Let me handle this.”

Naruto can feel his chest heat up while he summons the nine tail’s chakra and activates kyuubi mode. The burning red energy covers his body and his appearance begins to resemble that of a fox.

“Your appearance, it’s different than that in our first battle,” Sasuke said.

“Yeah, I’ve learned a few tricks since you’ve been gone,” Naruto smiled.

“So have I,” replied Sasuke. A black figure appears behind him.

“Naruto! Be careful, it’s Susanoo!” Sakura warned. The cloud formed into the shape of a warrior and it shoots two rapid giant arrows at Naruto. Using two giant claws formed by his new kyuubi chakra, Naruto grabs the arrows from the air and crushes them.

Sasuke strengthens his Susanoo as he pumps more chakra into it, but suddenly, he screams in pain as his right eye begins to bleed profusely.

“Call it off, Sasuke! That thing is too dangerous!” Naruto exclaims.

“Shut up!” Sasuke replies with more arrows, but Naruto dodges them easily with his new found agility.

Still using his giant claws protruding from his back, Naruto creates a bright red rasen shuriken and hurls it at Sasuke. The Susanoo, only a skeleton form now, quickly shields Sasuke with its ribcage, but it shatters from the severe force of Naruto’s attack.

“Ugh!” Sasuke covers his bleeding eye and summons all his strength to create a stream of black flames aimed at Naruto.

It’s Amaterasu! Naruto sprints to the side, but Sasuke’s flames take the form of a giant crow and follow him. Quickly, Naruto turns and with one swift motion, blasts it with a nine tails rasengan; the extreme magnitude and velocity of the chakra disperses the flames.

How is that possible! No one has ever extinguished an amaterasu before! This new form that Naruto has acquired will be much more difficult to defeat. I need more power, Sasuke thought. Slowly, Sasuke enters into the second stage of his cursed seal. Suddenly, the ground beneath Sasuke’s feet splits as a massive earthquake sends up a shock wave of energy from Sakura’s attack. Sasuke jumps out of the way just in time, but Sakura follows after him and bombardons him with punches and kicks; each strike heavier than the next, but Sasuke successfully blocks them with his wings.

“Hehe, I almost forgot about you stupid girl,” Sasuke sneers. With his Sharingan, Sasuke creates a genjutsu.

Sakura immediately freezes. It is night time and she is back in Konoha’s front gates. She looks down, and notices her small hands and long locks of pink hair. I’m a kid again, she realizes. She looks up and sees Sasuke, also as a child.

“Sasuke? What are you doing?”
“I changed my mind; I’m not going to leave Konoha after all. I’ve given up on revenge and I’d rather stay with you”

Sakura’s heart fills with joy as she wipes away her tears and let out a huge smile. “That’s wonderful! I knew you would decide to stay!” She walks toward Sasuke; her arms wide open welcoming him.

Suddenly, she notices two giant hand shaped wings unfolding from young Sasuke’s back and his right hand was flashing with a ball of lightening; the sound coming from it was as if a thousand birds were all chirping at once. The sound wakes her, but it’s too late; Sasuke’s hand has already begun to strike.

I’m going to die.

Suddenly, Sakura finds herself pushed out of the way. She lands hard on her side, dislocating her left shoulder. She winces in pain, but looks up to see Naruto still in midair, fully exposed and Sasuke sending the chidori through his chest.

“NARUTO!” Sakura screams at the top of her lungs. Naruto coughs, droplets of blood splatters onto Sasuke’s shirt and face. The red shroud of chakra slowly fades away.
---
“NARUTO! YOU STUPID BRAT!” the Nine Tails Demon Fox hissed within him. He rattles within his cage and growled in pain and anger. “NOW WE WILL BOTH DIE!”

Naruto, back in his usual form now, stood in front of the sealed cage. He calmly observed the raging demon inside him as it was going berserk with anger.

“Don’t worry, Fox,” Naruto replied. “It will be over soon.”

“Naruto, it’s not too late! Let me take over! I will show Sasuke our true power!”

“Thank you for lending me your strength all these years. I was hoping that one day we could be friends,” Naruto said.

“NARUTO!! LET ME OUT!!!”

“Sorry, Fox but this is something I need to finish on my own terms.”
---
Sasuke clenched his fist as currents of electricity flowed through. He could feel the weak pumping of Naruto’s heart at his fingertips.

“I’ve always wanted to fight you again, Naruto, and I’ve won. Now you die.” Sasuke proceeded to dislodge his arm from within Naruto’s chest, but suddenly Naruto grabs on.

“What are you doing? At least die in peace.”

Naruto ignores him, and with his free hand, he forms a new rasengan, the shinning blue chakra swirls inches from Sasuke's face. Sasuke desperately tries to free himself, but Naruto tightens his grip and firmly lodges Sasuke’s hand in his rib cage. Finally, with one final motion, Naruto sends the rasengan straight through Sasuke’s chest. Sasuke howls in pain, as the razor sharp chakra slices him open, bursting a hole in his back and completely blows off one of his wings. Immediately, Sasuke returns to normal and his Sharingan eye fades away. He gasps for breath as both ninjas collapse to the ground blood dripping and forming a puddle between the two.

Did he miss my heart on purpose? Sasuke's final thoughts escaped as he faints.

Naruto rolls over onto his back. He could feel his heart rate slowing. Blood is gushing from his wound. He looks over at the unconscious Sasuke and smiles.

I guess in the end, I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t kill my best friend.
---
Sakura tried to stand up, but her legs were weak. Slowly, she crawled with one arm towards Naruto and Sasuke. The fight was over and both were in critical condition. Naruto was a little worse off. He had a minute, maybe two left to live. Sasuke was also badly wounded. Naruto’s attack might have missed his heart, but his lungs were punctured; without immediate help, Sasuke would also die from blood loss and lack of oxygen.

Sakura knew in her condition, she couldn’t help both of them at the same time. She had to choose fast. If she treated Naruto first, Sasuke would definitely bleed out. But there’s also no way she could treat Sasuke fast enough to save Naruto. Either way, one of them had to die.
Tears began flowing down Sakura’s face. In her entire life, she had always been a burden to others. In every critical situation, she always needed the help of her friends; never was she able to take care of herself. But now, faced with the most important decision of her life, she found herself utterly alone.
---
Am I dead?
I must be.

Wait, is that Sakura? What is she doing to me?
She’s healing me.
…But why…?
---
Sakura had to work fast. She had made her decision, but it still might be too late. The bleeding is getting worse and the damage had been more extensive than she thought. Even the airway has been damaged; all she can hear is the sound of him wheezing for breath.

I have no other choice. I need to use my own raw life force to heal the wound.

Sakura bit her finger and summoned all the chakra she had left to form one final seal as she recalled Tsunade’s words: “This technique is extremely dangerous because it not only requires chakra, but also your life force. It’s a powerful medical ninjutsu, but if you over do it, you can die in the process.”

I can’t worry about that now. I need to make things the ways they were before. I need you back in my life!
---
Who did Sakura save? It hasn't been written yet, so if there's enough demand, I will finish the arc!
Chapter 2 - Burning Sorrow by TenFoxDemon
Author's Notes:
The conclusion of Naruto and Sasuke's previous battle is revealed!
Naruto opened his eyes.

Sakura laid on his chest. She had fainted from exhaustion.

How is this possible? I was at the verge of death, how am I completely healed?

Slowly Sakura’s eyes opened. “Naruto, you’re finally awake,” she barely managed to mutter the words.

“What happened?”

“I healed you with a medial ninjutsu.”

“So does that mean Sasuke’s healed too?

“…” Sakura looked away, “I couldn’t save him.”

“WHAT!?” Naruto jumped on his feet, knocking Sakura over.

“Agh! What are you doing?” Sakura was still too weak to stand. Her dislocated shoulder was starting to swell.

“Then how come you saved me?” Naruto demanded.

“Because I had to make a choice! It was either you or him!”

Sakura managed to bring herself to kneeling position. “I told you once before, I love you; I was serious. Sasuke was too far gone; he was no longer the same person that you and I sought to save. He was consumed by anger and hatred; he was a criminal and evil.”

Naruto stared back at Sakura. Her last word stung.

“You knew going into this battle that Sasuke was never coming back,” Sakura continued. “With or without you, he had to die!”

Silence. For a long time, Sakura and Naruto stare back at each other as Sakura tried to catch her breath. Neither one wanted to look away first.

“I’m taking Sasuke back to Konoha,” Naruto finally uttered softly. He picked up Sasuke’s body and slung it over his shoulder. His eyes were closed peacefully.

I wonder what his last thoughts were. Naruto felt strangely detached. He felt empty inside. Sakura leaned forward to touch Naruto, but he evaded.

“I’m not going to apologize for this, Naruto!” Sakura shouted.

“I’ll send Kakashi back here to get you,” Naruto said as he slowly walked away.
Chapter 3 - Student vs Master by TenFoxDemon
Six months later…


Naruto disguised himself behind the bushes within the training ground, kunai raised and alert. His eyes dart from one tree to the next and back, searching for his opponent. He hears a rustling of leaves from above, he immediately looks up to see a shadowy figure dropping in fast. The two clash and sparks fly as their kunai meet.

“You’re gonna have to try harder than that, Kakashi.”
Naruto and Kakashi are now standing in open ground. Naruto tries to take a swing at his sensei, but Kakashi grabs hold of his arm. The two exhibits a storm of taijutsu, testing each other’s strength. Suddenly, Kakashi made a few swift single handed seals and Naruto sees a flash of lightening through the corner of his eye; Kakashi had created a chidori on his right foot. Naruto takes the full blow of Kakashi kick to his gut and electric current jolts up his spine.

Naruto crashes hard on the ground --- then implodes into a puff of smoke.

It was a shadow clone! Kakashi immediately readies himself again. He intentionally lured me out of hiding, he’s gonna struck any second now…

Kakashi sees a dark looming shadow approaching from behind, he quickly turns, but it was too late. An army of shadow clones have already descended upon him, each equipped with a rasengan. The first one was knocked away by Kakashi, but the second clone was fast approaching. Kakashi quickly pulls out his Sharingan eye, as he defends himself against the horde of Naruto-s. One rasengan misses by a hair, right before being sent flying back with a kick.

Kakashi then expertly creates a chidori. But the ground beneath him cracks; as yet another shadow clone bursts upward, raising his rasengan. Kakashi jumps upward while blocking it with his chidori. Suddenly, a great gust of wind blows toward Kakashi, and just as he looks up, he is sliced in half by a rasen shuriken thrown by Naruto. About 30 shadow clones approach Kakashi as he falls and splashes into a puddle of water.

Water clone! Naruto realized. Abruptly, a giant water dragon emerges from the training ground pond, followed by a giant tsunami wave. Instantly, all the shadow clones were wiped out, as the real Naruto tries to swim to the surface. The real Kakashi is revealed, standing on the same wood pillar that he once tied Naruto to, on their first training exercise.

The water slowly subsides, and Naruto gets back on his feet.

“Still using Zabuza’s techniques, I see.” Naruto pants for breath.

“No time to chat,” Kakashi coldly replies, his Sharingan eye shining in the sunlight.

Naruto grins, and switches to kyuubi mode. “I’ll have to get serious,” Naruto says as he molds a giant nine tails rasengan, the dense chakra swirling chaotically. He then charges straight at Kakashi.

Kakashi’s eyes widened as he tensed up and activated his Mangekyō Sharingan, and just before the massive energy could strike, Kakashi sent it to another dimension. The few remnants of the once massive ball of chakra evaporate in Naruto’s hand, revealing a chidori fast approaching Naruto’s face. But abruptly, Naruto vanishes in a yellow flash.

Before Kakashi could comprehend what happened, Naruto landed right on top of him, pinning him down on the ground, with a rasengan swirling inches from Kakashi’s face.

“Sensei, looks like I win this one.”

For a split second, Kakashi could have sworn it was Minato smiling back at him.
Chapter 4 - The Next Generation by TenFoxDemon
“Impressive work, Naruto. I had no idea you’ve perfected the Flying Thunder God Technique left by your father.” Kakashi slowly pulled himself up. The Sharingan really took a toll on his body.

“Thanks sensei, so does this mean I pass?” Naruto replied with a grin.

“I think it’s pretty obvious. Congratulations! You are now a Jounin.”

Naruto let out a sigh of relief. He’s been training double time leading up to the Jounin exam, and it was good to know his hard work has paid off.

“What wrong, Naruto? I’d thought you’d be more excited.”

“You should go rest Kakashi. I’m sure that Mangekyō Sharingan must have taken a lot out of ya,” Naruto replied. “I think I’m gonna go get myself some ramen.”

“Why don’t I join you? My treat.”

Naruto smiled back. “That’s ok. I’d prefer to be alone.”

Naruto has changed since Sasuke’s death, Kakashi thought to himself. And his new fighting style…it’s definitely more unforgiving. I wonder if it’s because he has grown up, or something else…”
---

“So, Kakashi,” the fifth Hokage sat in her office. Her arms were folded and the feet up. “Naruto sure has grown. I saw the whole battle. Even the elders were impressed.”

“Yes. He’s truly surpassed me,” Kakashi replied. “But to be honest, his victory doesn’t surprise me if you consider the caliber of opponents that he’s bested in the past. He handled this battle beautifully.”

“Which is why I need to consult with you on an important matter.” Tsunade stood, and gazed out towards the village. “The younger generation is starting to surpass the old. In many ways they are stronger, brighter, and their will of fire burns much more fiercely than ours.”

“Tsunade, are you suggesting…”

“Yes. It’s time for me to step down as Hokage.”

Kakashi was caught off guard by her decision. Compared to other Kages, Tsunade is still quite young to step down so soon.

“With the leader of Akatsuki, Sasuke, dead; and the Fourth Shinobi War over, my job is finished. It’s time for the next generation to lead and prosper.”

“I see,” Kakashi allowed a brief moment of silence. “Who do you have in mind to replace you?”

“I’ve spoken with the elders of the village, and they have agreed to selected two candidates to succeed me.” Tsunade turned to Kakashi, “One of them is you, Hayate Kakashi; the other is Uzumaki Naruto.”

Tsunade walked towards Kakashi. “Since you are his sensei, do you believe Naruto is ready to lead this nation?”

“Hokage-sama,” Kakashi replied calmly. “Over these years, I have seen Naruto grow into a first class ninja and a loyal shinobi. But furthermore, despite the adversity he has faced, Naruto has won over the hearts of his friends, comrades, and the entire village. I believe it is that ability to earn the love and admiration of others that will make him an outstanding Hokage.”
End Notes:
Sorry if there's considerably less action in this and maybe the next chapter. I guess I'm just trying to use this to set up something else for the time being.
Chapter 5 - Number One Unpredictable Ninja by TenFoxDemon
Sakura kneels in front of Naruto’s bleeding body. Her hands are covered in his blood. She glances over in Sasuke’s direction, but then immediately returns her attention to Naruto.

His wounds are so severe, I’m not sure if I can heal him fast enough…What will do I if he dies…

Sakura could feel her life force leaving her and entering into Naruto, closing the ruptures in his ribcage. She recalled the sight of Sasuke driving his chidori into Naruto, and grimaced.

I have to make things right…

Suddenly, there was a movement in Sasuke’s direction. Sakura looks up to find Sasuke’s body has disappeared! In utter shock and disbelief, Sakura searches frantically for Sasuke’s body. There’s no way he could be moving about in his condition!

As Sakura looked back down to check on Naruto, she realized that she wasn’t healing Naruto at all, but rather Sasuke! The wound on his chest closes and he immediately wakes, his Mangekyō Sharingan staring back at her.

Sakura let out a scream. She was in complete darkness, as she immediately reached for a kunai. Slowly her eyes adjusted and the familiar outlines of her bedroom appeared.

It was just a nightmare. Third night in a row.

Sakura slowly got up out of bed and got a glass of water. Her grip was too tight and the glass shattered in her hands. “Shit!” Sakura cursed.

Why is this happening to me? She asked herself as she proceeded to heal the cuts in her palm. She involuntarily recalled the chilling image of Sasuke lying in Naruto’s place as she healed him, and started to sob.
---

Naruto sat alone, staring at his steaming bowl of ramen. For some reason, he couldn’t feel like eating.

I wonder how Sakura is doing…

Naruto hasn’t spoken to Sakura since Sasuke’s…death. He just couldn’t bring himself to face her. Prior to the battle, he knew she was right about Sasuke; that there was no way he could be saved, but in his heart, he still harbored a flicker of hope. As Sasuke’s friend, it was his duty to save him.

As he sat there, Naruto reminisced about his first days as a Genin. Never give up! That’s my ninja way! How naïve, to think things are that simple.

In fact, Naruto wasn’t mad at Sakura, at least not anymore. She made the right call. Naruto was mad at himself. He not only lacked the strength to save his friend, but he lacked the courage to make the hard decision, and in the last second failed to kill to Sasuke. As a result, the terrible burden was placed on Sakura, forcing her to choose between two people she loved.

“Naruto.”

Having been lost in his thoughts, Naruto was caught by surprise. As he turned, he saw the familiar face of Iruka sensei.

“I heard what happened. How you defeated the ‘White Fang of Konoha’!” Iruka beamed with pride in his former student. “And you’re a jounin now!”

Naruto smiled weakly.

“What’s wrong, you’ve barely touched your food.”

“I was just thinking about the past and the road that has led me here.”
Iruka paused. This was very uncharacteristic of Naruto.
After all he’s been through, I guess he’s all grown up.

Tsunade patiently waited from behind her desk. It was unlike Naruto to be late for anything. Usually he’d be breaking down the door by now.

The door finally opens as Naruto enters.

“Naruto, you’re finally here.”

“Eh? Kakashi, how come your not dressed for combat?” Naruto asked, pointing at Kakashi’s civilian outfit. “Aren’t we going on a mission or something?”

“No, Naruto, not today,” Kakashi smiled.

“I called you here for a very special announcement,” Tsunade explained. “So pay attention, Uzumaki Naruto.”

“I have decided that it is my time to relinquish my role as the Hokage,” Tsunade announced. “And I gave the decision to Kakashi as to who should replace me.”

Naruto stood motionless.

“And he adamantly insisted that you are to become Hokage,” Tsunade voice rang with excitement. “Since day one I knew that you would become a great ninja and I agree with Kakashi's decision wholeheartedly. I have already informed the elders and they have no objections. It seems that your valiant battle against Pain, your contributions in the Fourth Hokage War, and your victory against Akatsuki leader, Sasuke, left an excellent impression on them. Therefore, just say the word and the title will be yours.”

Tsunade braced herself for Naruto’s reaction.

“Granny, thank you. But, I’m going to decline,” Naruto sternly replied. He then turns and leaves the room, leaving Tsunade speechless.

“That’s our Number One Unpredictable Ninja,” Kakashi smiled.
Chapter 6 - Insanity by TenFoxDemon
Naruto steps into the cool night breeze. The village is extremely peaceful and quite. Many parts of the village were still under reconstruction from the damage sustained during the Shinobi War, but spirits remained high. Many people anticipate years of peace to come, since the five nations have agreed to a truce after having been united against Akatsuki.

Naruto quietly observed the night life of the village. Everyone seemed oddly at peace and most all, happy. Yet, Naruto felt strangely out of place. Everyone seemed to be moving on, but Naruto still felt the pain of Sasuke’s death. To others, he may have just been another criminal, but to Naruto, he was also a friend. He may have fulfilled his duty as a shinobi warrior, but as a friend he had failed Sasuke and Sakura. What’s to say he won’t fail these villagers as their Hokage?

I can’t accept this kind of responsibility, Naruto thought to himself. I don’t belong here.
---

It was getting late. A crescent moon hung in the clear night sky.

Where did Naruto disappear to? Kakashi noticed a figure seated in Ichiraku ramen shop, which was not closed. Puzzled, Kakashi lifted the curtains. Naruto wasn’t there. Instead, Sakura sat in Naruto’s usual seat.

“Care if I join you?” Kakashi approached.

“I’d love the company, sensei.”

“Can’t sleep?”

Sakura looked down, unable to meet Kakshi’s gaze. It didn’t take long at all for Kakashi to guess what was troubling her.

“Still thinking about Sasuke?” Kakshi asked.

“No. It’s Naruto that’s bothering me.”

Kakashi was a little surprised. Lately these past six months, both Naruto and Sakura has changed so much that Kakashi wasn’t able to predict their thoughts or understand their actions as well as he used to, despite the fact that they are his closest pupils. Part of Kakashi was proud that they have grown and matured into great warriors in their own right, but another part of him was worried; mainly because these changes were brought on by great pain and suffering, which can give a ninja infallible integrity or hateful corruption.

Kakashi told Sakura how Naruto turned down the position of Hokage earlier today.

“What? But it was his dream!” Sakura exclaimed.

“That’s what everyone thought.” Kakashi couldn’t explain it either. Naruto always wanted the acknowledgement of others, perhaps now he’s chasing something else?

“I feel lately, Naruto has become self-destructive. He refuses to speak to me, but I still feel his pain and what he’s going through.” --- every night. Sakura didn’t want to tell Kakashi about her nightmares.

“Let’s take a walk,” said Kakashi gently as he smiled.
---

Kakashi and Sakura were approaching the front gates of the village now. The night eerily resembled the night of which Sasuke left the village. Along the way the pair discussed the strain on Naruto and Sakura’s relationship. It pained Kakashi to see team 7 slowly fall apart, and he wanted to see if there was anything he could do to help Sakura get thought this, because even though she wasn’t saying anything, Kakashi knew she was hurting.

“Hearing that Naruto turned down the position of Hokage really bothers me,” Sakura said. “Because even though I once doubted him; for a while now I had faith. I developed the faith that he would become Hokage and go on to achieve great things.”

Sakura looked up to see Kakashi staring forward. “Kakashi, are you listening?” Sakura looked ahead. She could make out a dark figure ahead of them. It was slowly walking away.

Who is that? Sakura wondered.

“Let’s go. Stay alert.” Kakashi pulled out a kunai and Sakura did the same. Together they leaped amongst the branches and quickly approached the mysterious figure.

It was Naruto.

He had a backpack on that were usually reserved for ninja missions.

Immediately, Sakura jumped out. “Naruto!”

Naruto turns, a looks of surprise on his face. “Sakura--- and Kakashi!”

“Naruto, where are you going?” Kakashi also jumped out.

“There’s something I need to do.”

“What is it?” Sakura was starting to get extremely worried. Briefly, she flashed back to the night that Sasuke left and the elongation of Sasuke's shadow as he walked away.

“I can’t say,” Naruto coldly replied.

“Then let us go with you!” Sakura exclaimed.

“I can’t. This is something I need to do alone. On my own terms.”

“How could you be so selfish! Especially when the village needs you right now, as their Hokage!” Sakura angrily shouted. “I know you don’t want to talk to me; you may even think I'm annoying and that’s fine! But don’t leave! A lot of people look up to you --- Hinata, Kiba, Lee, Sai --- how would they feel if they learned you abandoned your duties and ran away!”

In a flash, Naruto disappeared. Sakura didn’t know how to react, but suddenly, Naruto appeared right in front of her.

“I’m not running away, Sakura,” Naruto said in a gentle voice.

Sakura was starting to boil in anger. How is this not running away? And to act so nonchalant at a time like this?

“Sakura, calm down ---”

Before Kakashi could finish, Sakura gathered her chakra and punched Naruto in the face, knocking off his head band and sending him flying backwards. Kakashi tried to pull her back, but Sakura already started to charge at Naruto, fist raised and ready to strike again. Naruto reacted quickly and summoned a team of shadow clones.

In unison, the shadow clones shouted: “Sakura, listen to me ---”
But Sakura ignored them, punching and kicking them into oblivion.

“I can’t believe you!" Sakura screamed. "If you really want to leave, you better take me out!”

Naruto stared down Sakura as she charged forward, her fist glowing with raging chakra. In her anger, Sakura failed to notice that, in one hand, Naruto already swiftly created a swirling rasengan.

No! I need to stop this! Kakashi reached out to Sakura, trying to restrain her, but it was too late, he wasn’t going to reach her in time. Naruto pierced the rasengan forward; Sakura finally noticed as her eyes widened in terror and were illumined under the glow of Naruto’s chakra.

But before the rasengan could strike her, it evaporated--- leaving only Naruto’s empty palm, which gently touched her cheek. At this point, Sakura’s eyes met Naruto’s.

“Sakura, I promised to bring Sasuke back,” Naruto calmly said. “Well, I’m going to fulfill that promise.”

Sakura stared blankly back at Naruto.

A single tear dropped down her face, as she took out a kunai. In one swift kick, she swept Naruto off balance, and pinned him on the ground, her kunai against his neck.

It was then that Naruto imploded into a puff of smoke. It was just a shadow clone the entire time…

Off into the distance, a hooded figure in long white robes walked forward, but then suddenly looked back.

Sakura…I’m sorry…
Chapter 7 - Curiousity by TenFoxDemon
“Sakura,” Kakashi walked up from behind. “Are you alright?”

Sakura had her face cupped in her hands. It happened again…

“Sakura, there was nothing we could’ve done. I’m sure he had his reasons…” Kakashi helped Sakura get back on her feet.

Off to the side, Naruto’s head band reflected the silver moon light. Sakura walked up and picked it up.

“Don’t tell anyone,” Sakura began. “Don’t tell anyone that Naruto went rogue.”

Kakashi was silent.

“If anybody asks, tell them that Naruto went off training, like the time he did with Jiraiya-sama.” Sakura turned to Kakashi. “Please! If the village finds out, then they will never allow him to become Hokage, even if he returns!”

“I understand,” Kakashi replied.
---

“Hehehe. That was pretty cold, boy.” The demon fox said as he lay within his cage. “Leaving without even saying goodbye to your friends.”

“I didn’t want to risk a fight,” Naruto replied as he leaned against the bars that held up the cage.

“So what’s your plan,” The demon fox leaned forward up to the giant bars. “I’m curious.”

“First let me ask you something, Fox.” Naruto turned to face the giant beast. “What do you know about the Impure World Resurrection?”

“Now I’m really curious,” the demon fox growled.
Chapter 8 - Old Rivals by TenFoxDemon
Sakura’s clothes blew tight against her slender body as she squinted against the sand. The storm was getting worse by the second, but she could not afford to turn back now. A huge gust of wind blew straight across sending more sand flying her way. The visibility was near impossible now.

That’s it. I think I’m lost, Sakura thought in despair. There is no way I can find the sand village in these conditions.

Suddenly, a figure burst from underneath Sakura’s feet. She reacted just in time and jumped out of the way, but the force of the sandstorm blew her off balance and she fell hard onto the dessert ground.

Ugh, I’m not used to fighting in these conditions.

She squinted to catch a glimpse of her attacker. It wasn’t a ninja, or even a person at all. It was actually a puppet. In fact, Sakura immediate recognized the puppet as Kankuro’s.

The puppet master must have also recognized Sakura as well because it reach out and took her hand. It then led the way and brought Sakura to the entrance of the sand village. The doors opened and Sakura walked inside, where Kankuro was indeed waiting for her.

“Long time no see, Sakura,” Kankuro greeted. “You’re lucky I found you considering you could have died in that storm.”

Sakura thanked him. “By the way, how did you find me?”

“Well, you tripped up one of our chakra wires we set up as surveillance around the village, so I sent my puppet out to see what was going on.”

“Thanks again, I was really lost in that storm.”

“Which bring to mind, what couldn’t wait that you’d risk your life coming here? The Hokage didn’t tell us she was sending Konoha ninjas on any missions in this area.”

“No, I’m not on a mission. This trip is personal,” Sakura replied in a serious tone. “I need to talk to Gaara.”

“For a friend, anything,” Kankuro gestured Sakura to follow him to the Kazekage’s chambers. Once there, Kankuro knocked and opened the door.

“Kazekage-sama, there’s someone here to see you.”

Sakura walked in to see Gaara sitting legs crossed on the floor meditating. All the curtains were drawn and the room is dimly lit by candle light.

Gaara slowly opened his eyes. “Sakura, what a surprise. Is Naruto with you?”

“No,” Sakura looked away from Gaara’s gaze. “Which is why I need your help.”

Sakura told Gaara about Naruto’s departure.

“I’m afraid he’s unstable...mentally,” Sakura didn’t know how else to put it, as she recalled Naruto’s parting words. “I need your help to bring him back to Konoha.”
Gaara’s eyes widened as he stood up.

“I don’t know what he’s up to and I’m worried about him…” Sakaura pleaded.

“I’ll find him.”

“Um, Gaara,” Kankuro interrupted. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. As Kazekage, you shouldn’t be going on any missions. Let Temari and I handle this.”

“No. Temari is out on a joint mission with Shikamaru and the village needs you to keep guard.” Gaara looked over at Sakura.

“Besides, Naruto is my friend. I want go personally.”

“Then someone should at least go with you!” Kankuro replied.

“Don’t worry Kankuro, I will go with Gaara,” Sakura said as she tightened her gloves.

“No. I will go alone. If Naruto really is unstable, then I don’t want others there. It will only be more chaotic.” Gaara walked out of the chambers and into the halls as Kankuro and Sakura followed in surprise.

“Alone! But Naruto could be dangerous!” Kankuro exclaimed.

“I know what it’s like to be a Jinchūriki, and I know what it’s like to lose a close friend,” Gaara explained as they thought back to his dark childhood and his relationship with Yashamaru. “I really am the only person for this job.”

Kankuro was displeased and it showed on his expression. But there wasn’t much he could do. He was never very persuasive in an argument against Gaara.

“But ---”

Before Sakura could finish, Gaara interjected: “Sakura, you came to me for help, and this is my only demand. Please, there are things that only Naruto and I can understand.”

Sakura sighs, admitting defeat.

"Now tell me, where would Naruto go at a time like this?” Gaara asked.

“The Valley of the End,” Sakura replied confidently. “That is where Sasuke died. But he might not stay there for long; it’s already been a day.”

“Then I shall leave immediately. Sakura stay here until the storm is over, then return to Konoha and wait for my news.”
---

“The Impure World Resurrection, eh?” The Demon Fox sat up straight and glared at Naruto.

“Yes, teach me how to perform it.”

“I know of it, but I don’t know how it’s performed,” The Demon Fox leaned closer. “What is your plan, boy?”

Naruto remained silent.

“Fine, don’t tell me. It’s more exciting that way,” the Demon Fox growled. “If you really want to know, you should ask the one that perfected it.”

“Kabuto!” Naruto exclaimed. “Yes. After the Fourth Shinobi War, Kabuto was captured and held prisoner at Kumogakure under the supervision of the Raikage!”

“Correct.”

“I’ll need to question him,” Naruto decided.

“Just don’t get us killed, boy.”
---

Naruto opened his eyes as he returned from his conversation with the Demon Fox. He looked down at his feet. The blood stains left over from his final battle with Sasuke have completely washed away. The sound of the waterfall at the Valley of the End was roaring. He looked up and calmly observed the Valley and recalled his final battle.

Suddenly, Naruto noticed the rocks in valley was sprinkled with specs of dust…no, it was sand. In fact, the rocks were being grinded into sand all around him.

The only person that can do this is…

“Gaara!” Naruto shouted. It was then that Naruto noticed Gaara’s third eye up in the air. From on top of the trees, Gaara appears standing on a floating disk of sand, his hand covering his left eye.

“Naruto.”

“How did you know I was here?”

“Sakura guessed it,” Gaara replied. “She came to me for help.”

“Are you here to bring me back to Konoha?”

“No. I’m just here to try and understand what you are doing.”

“Gaara, I’m going now. Please don’t stop me.”

“I’m not here to pick a fight, Naruto,” Gaara floated in front of Naruto, blocking his way.

“Then why are you creating all this sand around us?” Naruto sneered.

“I can’t let you run wild.”

“There’s something I must do,” Naruto raised a kunai. “Please don’t stop me.”

“You dare raise your weapon against the Kazekage?” Gaara asked calmly. “You need to understand that there are consequences to every action.”

Naruto stared back.

“If this is about Sasuke,” Gaara continues. “I understand how you feel. But you need to learn from his mistakes and move on.”

“You’ve got it all wrong, Gaara.”

Naruto tried to walk around him, but an arm shoots out from Gaara’s gourd, pushing Naruto back into a patch of sand placed behind him. Immediately, bars shoot out from underneath him in all directions, creating a sand prison encasing Naruto.

“Please don’t resist,” Gaara said.

Naruto growled like a fox, as he transformed into Kyuubi mode. Four chakra arms shot out from his back, each equipped with a rasengan, blowing the sand prison Gaara created into pieces.

Gaara immediately summoned a sand tsunami and tried to engulf Naruto, who quickly jumped into the air and threw three kunai in Gaara’s direction. They were blocked by Gaara’s sand shield, however, each was tied with a paper bomb and they exploded upon contact. Gaara was caught by surprise and fell off the floating platform.

He regained balance and landed on his feet. A few cracks appeared in Gaara’s face, but quickly healed. He then raised his arms and the sand underneath Naruto shot up and locking him in a sand coffin. Gaara then slowly clenched his fist and the sand around Naruto tightened.

“Stop struggling Naruto. I don’t want to hurt you,” Gaara said.

Naruto smiled confidently, and then teleported onto the water.

Gaara frowned. He’s mastered the Flying Thunder God Technique…He then molded his sand into projectiles and rapidly fired them at Naruto.

Naruto quickly ran along the lake, with Gaara’s sand bullets splashing all around him. If I stay on top of the water, Gaara won’t be able to control my surroundings, Naruto strategized. He then used three chakra arms protruding from his back and created a rasen shuriken, which he then threw at Gaara.

Gaara quickly crouched low and pulls his arms inwards to encase himself in a ball of sand. The rasen shuriken slammed into the boulder, causing a massive explosion. The boulder of sand flew from the impact and crashed into the stone valley. Inside, Gaara screamed in pain, sustaining a concussion.

After taking a second to steady himself, Gaara used the sand from the boulder and molded it into a clone. Together, the two ran in opposite directions along the walls of the waterfall, shooting spears of sand at Naruto. Dodging swiftly, Naruto evaded and kicked the spears as they approached, but one slices leg.

I can’t keep this up forever, Naruto thought. He then summoned a swarm of shadow clones that each created a rasengan. Together they all teleported and instantaneously appeared before Gaara and the sand clone. Gaara’s eyes widened in terror and quickly shielded himself with sand as a crowd of Naruto-s raised their rasengans and struck forward.

However, they weren’t aiming at Gaara, instead they struck the valley wall beneath his feet causing the walls to crumble down and fall into the lake below. Immediately, the sand clone and Gaara’s shield drowned into mud.

Gaara struggled to stay afloat as his gourd fills up with water and mud, weighing him down. He gasps for air, and then disappears underneath the surface. Quickly, Naruto creates a shadow clone ladder and jumped in after him. He grabbed hold of Gaara’s hand and together, the shadow clones slingshot them out of the lake.

On solid ground, Gaara coughed repeatedly for air with Naruto standing over him.

As he turned to leave, Gaara seized his chance and created a giant sand fist, but Naruto formed a rasengan just in time and the two clashed. However, the sand was not strong enough as the ball of chakra shredded it into bits.

“You can’t stop me, Gaara.”

Gaara coughed up more water, and replied: “You once told me your strength came from your desire to protect others; well, where does your strength come from now?”

Naruto ignored him and teleported away.
Chapter 9 - Prison of Folly by TenFoxDemon
Naruto lowered the brim of his straw hat as he walked the streets of Kumogakure. He had to keep a low profile, since his face has become highly recognizable since the Fourth Shinobi War. He could see the prison off in the distance and casually slid into an empty alley.

One, two, three,…, five guards patrolling the outer parameters, with no telling how many more inside. This might be harder than I thought.

Naruto was deep in thought when he heard a familiar voice: “~Yo ~Naruto! I sensed who from far away~ So I thought I’d come say hey!~”

It was Killer-B.

“Shhh! B! How’d know I was here?” Naruto panicked.

“~Cauz I can sense your nine-tails chakra when it’s near~ Which is why I came straight here!~” Killer-B rapped.

“Well, it’s nice seeing you, but I can’t talk right now,” Naruto whispered.

“Tell me why~ You’re on that wall like a fly~ Maybe I can help~ I promise I won’t yelp!~”

Naruto hesitated. He knew he can trust Killer-B, but he didn’t want Killer-B to know his goal is to talk to the war criminal, Kabuto. At the same time, he couldn’t get rid of Killer-B with an explanation as to why he’s here lurking about.

“~Why the hesitation?~ I can sense yo frustration!~”

To hell with it, Naruto decided. He explained how he needed to break into the Kumogakure prison and question Kabuto. However, Naruto didn’t mention the Impure World Resurrection or his escape from Konoha.

“~I see~ but it’s puzzling me~ why you need to talk to that criminal~” Killer-B asked.

“I’m sorry B, I can’t tell you that…” Naruto replied. “I understand if you don’t want to help me, but please don’t give me away.”

Killer-B folded his arms and looked down as if to think. After a while, he replied: “Of course I’ll help, old friend!~”

“Thank you, B.” Naruto sighed in relief.
---

Naruto waited in the shadows as he looked towards the prison. It was already nightfall and Killer B was taking too much time.

Suddenly the prison doors opened and Killer B emerged.

Yes, now I just need to search for the seal…

Naruto had instructed Killer B to enter the prison and then demand to see Kabuto. If anyone asked, he was to say it was the Raikage’s orders. When he sees Kabuto, place a chakra infused seal somewhere near his cell so that Naruto can sense his location and then use the Flying Thunder God Technique to teleport there later.

Finally, Naruto sensed the seal’s location several stories underground. He then concentrated and with a swift hand seal, teleported into the prison. Once inside, Naruto first checked his surroundings. The cell was almost completely dark aside from the flames of a single candle. It seemed that Killer B drew the seal right on the opposite side of Kabuto’s cell door.

Thank you, B, Naruto thought to himself. Sure saved me a lot of work.

Kabuto was in the center of the cell. He was tied in a strait jacket and a thick iron ring locked around his torso, with six chains connecting it to the wall in different directions. There was a dark seal drawn onto the strait jacket draining away any chakra and leaving only enough for him to survive. There was no way he was leaving this room for the rest of his life.

Immediately, Kabuto noticed Naruto’s presence.

“HAHAHAHAHA! I see you’ve come to beg for mercy! HAHAHA” Kabuto couldn’t contain his hysterical laughter.

Naruto recalled rumors that Kabuto had gone insane shortly after his defeat by the joint shinobi army. Supposedly, the cause was a torturing technique that the Raikage created in order to find the whereabouts of his research on forbidden techniques --- especially on the Imperial World Resurrection. Looks like the rumors had some truth to it.

“Kabuto, tell me about the Impure World Resurrection,” Naruto said.

“Ah! Yes! You would make a fine collection to my immortal army, Minato!” Kabuto hissed.

This is getting nowhere, Naruto thought in despair.

“Along with the rest of the Hokages! And Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Tsunade! Gaara!---”
Naruto was starting to lose his patience as Kabuto spend the next ten minutes shouting out names of famous shinobi. Finally, he shouted one last name.

“And Naruto! Yes I would love to have him…” Kabuto hissed excitedly. “In fact, you are Naruto aren’t you?”

A chill went down Naruto’s spine. “So you do recognize me.”

“Hehehe,” Kabuto chuckled.

“How did you perfect the Impure World Resurrection?” Naruto repeated.

“I’d never guessed you would be interested in a jutsu like that.”

“Tell me how you did it, Kabuto!” Naruto was getting nervous. I can’t stay here much longer, it seems talking to Kabuto was a waste of time.

As Naruto was about to teleport out, Kabuto raised his head to face the ceiling. Then a lump rose from his stomach and up to his throat, which he then spat out onto the ground. Surprised, Naruto quickly picked it up and opened it. Indeed, it contained all of Kabuto’s research on the Impure World Resurrection.

“I don’t understand…” Naruto said.

“Of course you don’t,” Kabuto spat. “I have no qualms giving this to you because seeing you standing here, asking for this forbidden technique, tells me that something has corrupted you. Hahaha! Even I didn’t see this coming! The hero --- Naruto Uzumaki --- now up to no good!”

“You’re not insane at all are you, Kabuto?” Naruto asked.

“Of course not. This is merely an act so that the Raikage will cease his annoying interrogation.” Kabuto let out an evil laugh. “You like it?”

Naruto didn’t respond to Kabuto’s jests.

“So, what are you planning, Naruto? Free me and we can work together.”

“Like I’d ever do that,” Naruto sneered. “I’m not using this technique for evil.”

Naruto heard footsteps coming from behind the door. Quickly he made several hand seals and teleported himself out of the prison, with Kabuto’s hiss of hysterical laughter still ringing in his ears.
Chapter 10 - Empty by TenFoxDemon
Sakura sat on the bench next to the village entrance. The sun has just begun to rise and the golden rays shined on her face as she stared out into the woods. She’s been coming here for a few hours nearly every day, in hopes that she would catch a glimpse of Naruto as he returns.

If he returns…

Suddenly, Ino runs up, her face frozen in horror. “Sakura! You have to come with me!”

“Ino, what’s wrong?” Sakura asked with concern.

“I-it’s S-Sasuke! H-his…” Ino then collapse in Sakura’s arm in tears.

Without saying another word, the two ran to Sasuke’s grave as fast as they could. It took a lot persuading, especially from Naruto, for Tsunade to allow a proper burial for Sasuke. Not many people approved, but Tsunade eventually agreed. The grave and the tombstone were at a bare minimum. The only etchings on it were the name ‘Sasuke Uchiha’ and the symbol of his clan.

It was still early so the grave yard was empty. Ino, still shaken up, led the way.

“This morning I thought I’d come visit him…b-but, look Sakura!” Ino exclaimed.

Sakura looked to see what was out of the ordinary. Immediately, she realized that the dirt was fresh, as if someone had reburied it very recently.

He couldn’t have…!

Sakura felt a wave of panic passing through her from top to bottom.
“Ino! Help me dig up this grave!” Sakura barked.

Ino was hesitant at first, but eventually she agreed. They got two shovels and together they removed all the dirt and dragged out Sasuke’s coffin. Sakura’s hand shook as she opened the lid.

Ino screamed.

Sakura could only stare in utter shock and horror as she saw Sasuke’s face with two empty eye sockets looking back at her.
Chapter 11 - Reunion by TenFoxDemon
The sun was starting to set as Naruto prepared himself for the Impure World Resurrection. A droplet of rain started to fall.

The technique was much more complicated than anything he’s ever encountered. Naruto painstakingly prepared the scroll, and practiced the long series of hand seals. Finally, he took out Sasuke’s eyes from a small bag and placed them on top of the scroll. He was ready.

He summoned a shadow clone for the sacrifice as he performed the required hand seals. Naruto immediately kneels and gasped as a huge amount of chakra was drained from his body.

I was too inexperienced! It took more than chakra than the scroll warned!

Then the shadow clone started screaming in agony. Naruto slowly stood in anticipation.

The sky started thundering and the rain worsened. Naruto thought he saw a flicker of Sasuke’s face as a lightning bolt lit up the sky. Abruptly, the shadow clone’s scream transformed into a different pitch. One that Naruto was far too familiar. The clone covered his face in pain, and struggled as if something was trying to get out from within him. As he removed his hands, Naruto noticed that his eyes were now red --- it was the Sharingan.

Naruto could feel every muscle in his body tense up. In a blink of an eye, Sasuke was once again standing before him.
---

Did he miss my heart on purpose? Sasuke's final thoughts escaped as he faints.

Slowly, Sasuke reopened his eyes. It was dark and he could feel heavy raindrops landing on him. His entire body was in pain and it took all his energy just to stand upright. A crack of thunder jolted Sasuke out of his daze.

Where am I? What happened?

He squinted to see the figure standing in front of him.

“N-Naruto?” Sasuke could barely utter the words; it felt like he hadn’t spoken for months.

“Sasuke…”

“Are we dead?” Sasuke weakly mumbled.

“It’s complicated...”

Sasuke couldn’t comprehend anything that was happening. He felt sluggish and heavy. “What do you mean ‘complicated’?”

“You died in our battle; I survived. That was six months ago.”

Sasuke didn’t understand the words coming from Naruto. Nothing made sense.

“Sasuke, I summoned you back with the Impure World Resurrection…”

“You did what?”

“I wanted a second chance…” Naruto uttered. He was soaked from the icy rain; now standing in front of his greatest opponent and best friend, he felt extremely vulnerable. “I don’t want any regrets.”

“You’re telling me, that you brought me back to this wretched world --- after having killed me --- so that you can FEEL better!?” Sasuke screamed.

“Was that really how you wanted to die!? How you wanted to go down in history!?” Naruto screamed back.

“HAHAHA! You ARE a fool! I suppose I should thank you, Naruto!” Sasuke sneered. “Now I get another chance to destroy Konoha!” Sasuke felt slightly stronger now, as he gradually regained mobility.

“I’m sorry, Sasuke, but that not going to happen.”

“So you want to fight again, huh?” Sasuke creates chidori. But Naruto raised his hands and formed a seal.

Immediately, Sasuke felt his body go numb and his chidori disappeared.

“I resurrected you, so now I have full control of your body,” Naruto said. “I just want to talk.”

“Humph! It seems you don’t have full control.” Sasuke said as he activated his Mangekyō Sharingan. “You may have control of my body, but not my eyes!”

Naruto was mesmerized by his eyes, as suddenly, the world around him dissolved, and was replaced by an empty landscape. All of Naruto’s surroundings were engulfed in black flames similar to the Amaterasu. Naruto blinked and Sasuke appeared out of thin air.

“What is this place?” Naruto asked.

“This is the Spiritual World of Darkness. I’ve cast a genjutsu on you --- Tsukuyomi.” Sasuke replied.

Naruto raised his hands again to form the controlling seal--- but it didn’t work. Sasuke laughed.

“This is MY reality, Naruto! In here, I control YOU!”

Naruto blinked and found himself now bound to a wooden cross. Sasuke is holding his katana.

“I’m going to enjoy this,” Sasuke smiled and stabbed Naruto in the side. Naruto screamed in pain. Repeatedly, Sasuke stabbed at Naruto’s torso; Naruto clenched his jaws and shut eyes as tightly as he could against the pain. As he opened them again, he found that his wounds have completely healed.

“Wha---” Naruto was interrupted by a flash of Sasuke’s katana; his throat was sliced open and he couldn’t breathe;
the pain was excruciating and blood was gushing everywhere. Naruto felt his mind go blank as he closed his eyes and died.

Then Naruto opened his eyes once more. Again his wound was completely healed.

“Now you know what it feels like to die,” Sasuke said coldly.

“Sasuke…” Naruto whispered weakly. “Listen to me…”

“No! You listen to me!” Sasuke snapped. “Konoha needs to feel my hate!”

“Give it all to me!” Naruto shouted. “Go ahead! Kill me as many times as you wish, I will bear your hate!”
With that, Sasuke again sliced Naruto’s neck.
Chapter 12 - Reunion II by TenFoxDemon
How many times have I died now? 20? 30? Naruto completely lost count. It felt like he’s been trapped in this world for days, or has it been hours?

He blinked and again noticed there wasn’t mark on his body.

“Why?” Sasuke finally said. “Why are you doing this? What could you possibly hope to gain?”

Naruto smiled weakly. “I want you to be happy, Sasuke. I want things to go back to before --- with Team 7 ---”

“Look around you, Naruto!” Sasuke screamed; the world around Naruto got even darker, and the air chilled. “Do you honestly think that’s possible!?”

“My clan--- everyone that I ever cared about--- were all murdered! And for what!?” Sasuke continued.

“I can’t say what Itachi did was right or wrong,” Naruto replied. “Just like how I don’t know whether my father was right or wrong by sealing the Nine Tails within me.”

Naruto stared straight into Sasuke’s eyes. “Our circumstances have been different, but we are the same. I could have easily gone down the path you're on now! I know what it’s like to hate and be hated. As a result, for all my life I wanted others to acknowledge me.”

Sasuke showed no emotion. He only coldly glared back at Naruto.

“Well, now that I’ve finally been acknowledged by everyone, I realized something. People respected me for killing Pain and killing you; therefore they acknowledge me; but seeing Pain die was a saddening experience for me. I’ve also never felt more conflicted when I was forced to battle you. So don’t you see Sasuke? Killing only brings on more pain and suffering.

So when I was offered the position of Hokage, I refused. Part of me was scared of letting those that rely on me down; but another part of me was also frustrated. I don’t want people to acknowledge me for who I killed. I want them to respect me for who I saved --- so I set out to save you, Sasuke!”

“Enough! You can’t save ME!” Sasuke shouted. He forcefully stabbed Naruto in the gut. Naruto winced in the pain, but he did not blink. Instead he continued to stare at Sasuke, who couldn’t meet his gaze. His hand that held the blade was shaking uncontrollably.

“Look at yourself, Sasuke! You sought to kill Itachi, but that only brought on more hate; Now you seek to destroy Konoha, but along the way you’ve completely lost yourself. Do you think your brother, who sacrificed his life for Konoha and to preserve peace, would want any of this?”

“SHUT UP!” Naruto shut his eyes as Sasuke punched him in the face and continued to punch him. Naruto felt himself being knocked off the cross that he was tied to and landed hard on the ground. Sasuke pinned him down and gave him one last punch in the face. Naruto opened his eyes and saw that Sasuke’s knuckles were bloody. The genjutsu had worn off; only a few seconds had passed in real time.

“Let the past go, Sasuke…” Naruto whispered, barely audible. His mind was numb from the extreme trauma he just experienced.

Sasuke recalled his childhood and his time spent with Itachi. He also felt weak. He hadn’t mastered the Tsukuyomi. Like Naruto, he also felt like days have gone by and he was extremely tired.

I’ve spent my entire life chasing after lies, Sasuke thought to himself.

He then thought back to the moment before his death--- It had felt empty and meaningless. A million thoughts raced through Sasuke’s mind: his parents, the death of his clan, Itachi, his battle with Orochimaru, killing Danzo, Madera…

Finally, one thought stood out: I don’t want to be remembered like this.
He tried to remember the last time he was happy…
…Team 7…
---

The Kyuubi jolted and was immediately alert within his cage.

Naruto’s grown weak! Now’s my chance!
---

Sasuke carried Naruto’s battered body and helped him sit against a tree. He could feel his own life force weakening.

It seems Naruto is starting to get too weak to sustain the Impure World Resurrection, Sasuke thought. This time I will die for good.

Suddenly, a red shroud of chakra covered Naruto’s body. Sasuke leaped in surprise and distanced himself.

What!? He activated his Sharingan and peers into Naruto’s subconscious. He found himself standing in front of a large cage. Within it, two giant yellow eyes stared back. In front of the cage stood Naruto, like a zombie, rocking back and forth.

“There you go Naruto, now place your hand on the seal…” an ominous voice from behind the cage guided.

It’s the Nine Tailed Demon Fox! Sasuke realized.

A red chakra claw appeared and lifted Naruto’s hand, placing it on the seal’s top corner.

“No! Naruto! Don’t!” Sasuke screamed in horror, but suddenly in one swift motion, the claw forced Naruto to tear the paper seal clean off the cage.

“HAHAHAHAHA! After all these years, I’m finally FREE!” the Demon Fox growled.

Sasuke jolted awake, now back in his own body. He quickly looked at Naruto. For a second, Naruto sat motionless, but suddenly, a beam of dark light emerged from his belly, taking the shape of a sphere.

Within it, one tail slowly emerged…then two, three … Sasuke froze in shock. There was nothing he could do.

Finally nine tails emerged from within the sphere and an explosion erupted with Naruto at ground zero. Sasuke was blown backwards along with half the forest from the blast, creating a giant crater in the center where Naruto once sat moments before.

As the smoke cleared, Sasuke made out the nine-tail’s shadowy figure, with bright yellow eyes staring back at him. All nine of its tails thrashed about wildly.
---

“Hokage-sama!” Yamato charged into Tsunade’s chambers. “It’s Naruto! The seal has been broken and the nine tails is loose!”

“What!? Sound the emergency systems and gather all available shinobi at once!” Tsunade stood.
---

Sasuke took cover behind a tree. The Kyuubi growled loudly, searching to finish the Uchiha off.

Since I’m still here, that means Naruto must still be alive somewhere, Sasuke thought as he tried to calm himself. Sasuke searched frantically for Naruto and finally spotted him to his left. He was unconscious, lying face down in the dirt. Sasuke quickly ran towards him, praying that the Kyuubi won’t notice.

Out of the corner of its eye, the Demon Fox saw Sasuke, and gathered up its chakra for a tailed beast bomb. The black chakra swirled at the tips of its jaw forming a dense ball of energy; once it was ready, the Demon Fox unleashed it in Sasuke’s direction, leaving a trail of destruction along the way.

Sasuke’s Sharingan eyes widened in terror.
Chapter 13 - Kyuubi by TenFoxDemon
Sakura was the last to arrive. Kakashi, Kurenai, Guy, Shikamaru were already there leading their respective teams. In the front, Tsunade stood briefing the crowd along with the Kazekage. Currently the two were arguing about something.

Gaara was picked up by some leaf shinobi at the Valley of the End yesterday after sustaining minor wounds. He was allowed temporary refuge at the village as he recuperated, however he also responded to the emergency call.

“This is a Konoha issue, and we can deal with it ourselves,” Tsunade continued.

“Right now the Nine Tails is in full form,” Gaara coldly replied. “You are going to need all the help you can get.”

“But you are the Kazekage,” Tsunade said. “If anything happens to you out there, our alliance with the sand will ---”

“I am not here as the Kazekage,” Gaara interrupted. “I’m here as Naruto’s friend. Now every second we waste here is another second the Nine Tails gets to run free.”

Tsunade reluctantly paused. “Alright then it’s settled. Gaara, you will lead this mission. Now, let’s come up with a plan on how to get the Kyuubi under control.”

“Is Naruto still alive!?” Sakura interjected.

“It’s possible,” Yamato steps up. “If so, we must first find him and reseal the Kyuubi.”

“Now everyone, move out! Before the Kyuubi attacks the village!” Tsunade ordered
---

Sasuke sees the massive energy fast approaching. As he braced for impact, Sasuke suddenly left himself pushed out of the way. He turned to see the tailed beast bomb demolish a hand composed of sand.

Gaara approached hovering on his sand platform. He abruptly stopped as he saw that the person he just saved was actually Sasuke.

“Sasuke!” Gaara exclaimed. Soon, the rest of Gaara’s team followed, but everyone froze at the sight of the Uchiha. Sakura couldn’t believe her eyes.

“How are you alive!?” she exclaimed.

“I don’t have time to explain, but Naruto summoned me back with the Impure World Resurrection just before the Kyuubi broke loose,” Sasuke said as he got back on his feet.

“What!?” Sakura stepped up. Suddenly it all made sense--- Naruto’s leaving the village, Sasuke’s eyes missing--- it was all part of Naruto’s plan to revive him!

“We don’t time to discuss this,” Gaara barked. “We need to reseal the Kyuubi!”

“Where is Naruto?” Sakura quickly asked.

Sasuke points to his left, “There.”

“I’ll distract the Kyuubi! Kakashi lead your team and get Naruto! The rest of you, try and strike the Kyuubi with long range attacks,” Gaara said as he flew towards the nine tail’s direction, directing its attention away from the group.

Together, Kakashi, Sakura, and Sasuke rush to Naruto’s side.

I can’t believe Team 7 is together again, Sakura thought to herself.

Kakashi shook Naruto wake.

“Kakashi sensei…” Naruto said weakly.

“Don’t push yourself. You just had the Kyuubi ripped out. Rest and leave this to us.”

Naruto looked up to see Kakashi smiling. Sakura was at his side healing his wounds; behind her stood Sasuke.

“No…I need to get the Kyuubi back…” Naruto forced himself to stand.

“You are in no condition to fight!” Sakura said.

“I’ve defeated the Kyuubi before, I can help,” Naruto insisted.

“Fine,” Kakashi decided. “We need to help secure the Kyuubi and bring Naruto close enough so that it can be resealed.”

They’ve got Naruto! I will not be resealed again! The Demon Fox thought as it pointed its tails in nine directions and gathered its chakra to create a tailed beast bomb on the tip of each tail. Gaara quickly ordered everyone to take cover, but it was too late. The Kyuubi fired all his bombs off at once and the explosion blinded everyone in a flash of white light.

Swiftly, Kakashi activated his Mangekyō Sharingan and attempted to send the blast coming his way into another dimension, however there was too much energy and some were left behind. The remnant explosion sent team 7 flying in all directions. Unfortunately, the other shinobi sustained the full force of the blast and lay scattered around the forest. The Kyuubi gave off a roar of victory.

Ugh! We can’t possibly overpower the Kyuubi…Sasuke thought as he faded in and out of consciousness. Slowly, he got back on his feet and steadied himself. He then activated his Mangekyō Sharingan and focused in on the Kyuubi.
---

Suddenly, he was inside the Kyuubi’s mind. What dense energy! Sasuke felt his body go numb in the presence of Kyuubi’s overwhelming chakra.

I need to use the Sharingan and take control of it as Madara did!

“Kyuubi, show yourself!” Sasuke screamed into the abyss.

Suddenly, from behind, Sasuke felt a dark presence looming above him. It was the Kyuubi. As it raised its claw to strike, Sasuke quickly surrounded himself with flames of amaterasu to shield him from the blow. The Demon Fox howled in pain as the black flames climbed up to its shoulder.

“Curse you and your eyes, Uchiha!” The Kyuubi spat.

Sasuke stared into the beast’s eyes and tried to force it under control, but instead, he was only able to force the Kyuubi to take a few steps back.

“HAHAHA, you are not strong enough to control me!”

The Demon Fox covered itself in a shroud of red chakra, which negated the black flames on its claw. Sasuke quickly drew his katana and fused it with a chidori. He then leaped and pointed it at the Fox from above and the blade rapidly stretched toward the beast. The blade pierced the Kyuubi’s torso and briefly pinned him to the ground. Sasuke then appeared in front of the Fox and placed a hand on its nose. Immediately the Kyuubi’s chakra was suppressed and the red shroud around it disappeared.
---

Back on the outside, Sasuke snapped open his eyes. The Kyuubi shrunk in size as the chakra around it disappeared.

“I’ve suppressed the Kyuubi’s chakra! Now’s our chance!” he shouted in Naruto as he also slowly crawled up.

Naruto gave Sasuke a nod.

Just a little more! Naruto thought as he mustered all the chakra he could get and summoned a swarm of shadow clones.

They all created a rasengan and charged at the Kyuubi. However, the Fox swiftly evaded them, while slashing with its tail. All but the real Naruto was knocked away and imploded.

“You really think you are a match more me, boy?” the Demon Fox growled as it pinned Naruto down with its claw; its face leaning inches from Naruto’s.

“I’ve beaten you once before!” Naruto muttered.

“HA! But this time Krishna’s not here to help you!”

Sasuke charged in with a chidori, but the beast whipped its tail sent him flying backwards.

“You are not nearly as powerful as Madara, young Uchiha!” The beast then looked back down at Naruto, “And you are nothing without me!”

Naruto let out a scream and teleported out from under the Kyuubi’s grip. He appeared immediately above the Kyuubi, with a rasengan raised. The Demon Fox swiftly leaped out of the way, and Naruto was only able to strike the ground beneath.

Even with its chakra suppressed, it’s too fast, Naruto thought.

“Naruto…” Sasuke shouted from a distance. “We need to hurry; I don’t know how much long I can suppress its chakra!”

Naruto created a rasengan while Sasuke created a chidori. Together, they charged at the Kyuubi. Naruto struck first, but the Kyuubi again evaded by leaping into the air. Naruto responded by summoning two shadow clones, who then slung Sasuke up into the air. The Kyuubi being suspended in midair had no way to dodge the attack; Sasuke’s chidori struck it in the jaw. Instantaneously, Naruto teleported himself behind the Demon Fox equipped with a rasen shuriken and struck the beast in its back. The Kyuubi yelped out in pain as currents of electricity and razor sharp wind chakra sliced through its body.

Naruto and Sasuke landed on their feet with the Kyuubi crashing hard onto the ground. However, the Kyuubi was still alive. As it tried to get up, Sasuke activated Susanoo and the skeleton warrior landed on top of the Demon Fox. However, due to Sasuke's weakened state, Susanoo was able to completely subdue the Demon Fox which still struggled fiercely. Just as it was about to break free, Gaara reached forward while crawling on the ground, wounded from the blast from before and firmly locked the Kyuubi down with a sand coffin.

At this point, Sakura ran up to behind.

“Now’s your chance…seal…” Gaara muttered.

“I’ll perform the Eight Trigrams Seal.” Sasuke said. “But this will deplete my chakra.”

“Then looks like this will be good bye,” Naruto replied.

Sasuke performed the hand seals for the technique and a ceremonial throne appeared. Naruto started to take his place at the center of the throne. But suddenly, Sakura pushed Naruto out of the way, knocking him to the ground.

“Sasuke, seal the Nine Tails in me.”
Chapter 14 - Resolution by TenFoxDemon
Sasuke gave off a look of surprise.

“Sakura, what are you doing!?” Naruto screamed, his chakra running dangerously low.

Sakura turns to face him, smiling. “Naruto, for years I’ve seen you struggle with that beast inside you, turning you into something you’re not. Every time, I’ve only been able to stand by and watch as you carried this burden; well now I can finally do something about it.”

“Will somebody hurry up and step up! I can’t restrain the Kyuubi forever!” Sasuke yells. He could feel his own existence fading.

“But---” Naruto struggles onto his feet and grabs hold of Sakura. However, before he could finish, Saskura cuts him off with a kiss. For a brief moment, Naruto didn’t know what to do, but then he felt Sakura slip something into his mouth. A puff of gas exploded in his mouth and up his nostril. It was knockout gas!

Sakura quickly dodges away so that she doesn’t breathe in the gas herself as Naruto drops like a rock.
“Thank you for bringing Sasuke back Naruto.” She said just before Naruto fell asleep. Then she turns to Sasuke and said: “Let’s hurry.”

Sasuke had no choice but to initiate the sealing technique. The Kyuubi hissed and growled but it wasn’t able to free himself. Finally, the Kyuubi disappeared into Sakura’s stomach, and a seal appeared. Sakura felt her body go numb under the weight of the Kyuubi’s chakra. She kneeled gasping for breath; the seal was complete.

“Good bye Sakura,” Sasuke stood. His chakra was completely depleted and the Impure World Resurrection was released. Sakura looked up to see his body crumble. At this point, everyone has regained their strength and staggered towards Sakura and the unconscious Naruto.

“It’s over,” Sakura whispered.
Chapter 15 - Conclusion by TenFoxDemon
Three years later…



“Hokage-sama!” A swarm of Genin rushes up, surrounding the Hokage, while jumping up and down in excitement. “You’ve returned from your mission!”

“Yup! The mission was a success!”

“Tell us more! Tell us about your battle!” The young ninjas urged.

“OK, kids, the Hokage is extremely busy,” Ino rushes over to rescue Naruto from assault of Genins. “Why don’t you guys go finish your training, unless you want to stay a Genin forever!”

“Yeah, well Naruto was a Genin forever, but he still got to be Hokage!” one Genin shouted as he left.

Naruto let out a huge laugh, but then stopped once he noticed Ino glaring back at him.

Naruto was glad to be back. The village has been completely rebuilt and was as busy as it has ever been.

“Naruto!”

Naruto turns to see Sakura walking up.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” Ino gave Sakura a wink and walked away.

“Sakura! I missed you!” Naruto replied excitedly. “Let’s go to the training grounds! I want to see how much you’ve improved with Kyuubi mode!”

Sakura blushed lightly and looked away. “I-I can’t,” she softly replied.

“Huh?” Naruto was taken back. “Why?”

After a moment of silence and an awkward giggle, Sakura finally looked up.

“I’m pregnant.”
End Notes:
Well, that's all i got! i hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed writing it. i had a blast with the story! It'll be fun to see how close I am to the actual story when it finally ends.
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=10492