TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Sunflower Love by i_heart_notebooks123

[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: I'm back. Sorta. We'll see how long that lasts, but for now, I just feel good to have finally posted something.

I hope you enjoy this fluffy one-shot, which was beta-ed by the amazing Graceless Uchiha. If not for her help, this story would still be gathering dust.

Disclaimer: All characters, places, etc. belong to their rightful owners (i.e., I don't own Naruto).
It really was a beautiful day.

He closed his eyes and felt the sun warm his skin; after days of hard work, it felt fantastic to lie back and do absolutely nothing. Nothing at all but reclining and taking a nice nap. There were still a few drops of dew left from morning, cooling his heated skin.

He registered someone else’s presence as a soft thud shook the blades of grass beside him. One eye cracked open in response.

Blond hair and blue eyes big, shining blue eyes, filled his vision.

"Hey Shika. Can I sit with you?"

"Whatever." He hoped a vague response like that might send him away, but no such luck. Instead, Naruto lay on his stomach and began playing with the petals of the large sunflower he was holding.

Shikamaru knew better than to start a conversation with him because then the blond would never leave, but Naruto wasn't one to pick flowers. "Naruto, what’re you doing with that?"

"This?" He waved the flower around a bit. Shikamaru nodded. "Kakashi-sensei gave it to me. He said they symbolized happiness or something."

"So why'd he give it to you?"

Naruto shrugged. "He said he didn't want it."

Kakashi must have been planning to give it to Naruto all along. Shikamaru figured he wanted to show his care for his student, although this method might be too subtle. Not that he cared. Shikamaru sighed and looked up at the sky. The clouds were blotting out the sun. He didn't mind, as it was annoying to squint up at the sky with the sun blinding him. He watched as the clouds gently rolled across the sky, so light and free. Shikmaru felt the corners of his mouth twitch; summer days like this were so relaxing. The sky was such a pure blue; it matched Naruto's eyes.

"Shika?"

Speak of the devil...

He rolled his eyes toward Naruto, who was now quietly plucking one yellow petal after another. He seemed to be concentrating. Shikamaru had seen girls do that before. What was that silly thing they'd say as they pulled a petal? "He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me..." Was Naruto doing that now?

Well, he was making slow progress. Five minutes later and the blond had only pulled off a few petals.

"Why are sunflowers yellow?" Naruto asked as he stared at the yellow petal in his hand.

"The petals absorb all light except yellow light and they reflect that back to your eyes, so they appear yellow."

Naruto was nodding, but Shikamaru wasn't sure if he really understood. If he wasn't so tired, he might have further explained about white light and the light spectrum and blah, blah, blah...

"Shika?"

He jolted awake. Shikamaru had been on the edge of slumber, and if Naruto hadn't opened his big mouth, he could have been resting peacefully. He turned his head, the fresh spring grass tickling his ear, and saw that now Naruto had only plucked a handful of petals.

"Naruto, don't you have anything better to do?"

The blond threw a cheeky smile his way. "Nope."

"How about you stay until you're out of petals? Then you beat it."

He turned back to his sunflower. "Okay, I guess."

Naruto seemed to be more compliant than usualShikamaru had been expecting more of a fight, pouting included. Was the boy hungry? Whatever. "Then pluck 'em quickly."

Naruto didn't comment; instead, he seemed to have a new question. "Why is the sky blue?"

Why are your eyes so blue?

"Gas molecules scatter blue light more than any other, so the sky looks blue."

Again Naruto nodded.

Again Shikamaru wasn't sure Naruto actually understood. He was beginning to wonder what the hell was going on.

And why he didn't mind whatever was happening.

Naruto was quiet longer this time. In that time, Shikamaru didn't try to sleep. Naruto had rolled over onto his back, and he found it was very easy to get lost in Naruto's breathing. It was nice feeling his warmth next to him; it was a different warmth than that coming from the sun. He couldn't explain, but it made him even more at ease than simply lying there, staring at the sky.

And his eyes  those eyes that even the clear blue sky couldn't compete with. He lifted his head slightly to catch sight of Naruto's face, resting near his legs. His eyes were glittering because of the light filtering through the clouds; they were focused on carefully removing each petal, not leaving a single thing behind. Shikamaru was saddened to see that the handful of petals plucked now amounted to more than half.

"Shika?"

"Hmm?"

"What is psychology?" These questions were getting more complex, though he failed to see the connection between any of them.

"The study of the mind and behavior."

"Oh."

Shikamaru propped himself up on his arms. "Naruto, do you even understand these answers?"

"Yes! I'm not dumb, I just don't know as much as you do."

It was his turn to say it. "Oh."

Throughout all of that, Naruto had kept plucking, and now he only had one petal left.

"Shika?"

"Yeah?"

"What's love?"

He opened his mouth to answer, but then he closed it. "I don't know." He gazed into Naruto's blue eyes.

Or did he?

Naruto sat up, one petal still left on the sunflower. It looked silly now, just a big brown ball on top of a stem with one yellow petal on top. "Then I'll figure it out before you," he responded, grinning impishly at the thought of knowing something Shikamaru didn't.

Shikamaru's chest tightened a bit at the thought of Naruto lying down next to someone else, napping at someone else’s side. The thought of the blond falling in love, figuring out what love was with someone elsethe very notion made it hard for him to breathe.

Naruto glanced down at the sunflower in his lap and seemed to notice that last petal for the first time. He made to pull it, but Shikamaru gently took the flower away.

"Naruto... what if we find out what love is together?"

Shikamaru waited as Naruto’s cheeks tinted pink, the dusting of color almost unoticable under his tan skin. Those blue eyes, he finally understood, had charmed him, and he wasn’t about to let someone else stare into them.

Stiffening slightly, Shikamaru’s gaze never left Naruto’s as the blond leaned in slowly, brushing their lips together. It was a kiss lighter than the clouds; Naruto’s lips were petal soft, even more supple than the pile of petals resting beside them. Pulling back, Shikamaru decided it didn’t matter why those eyes were so blue.

So long as he was the one drowning in them.