TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Goggles by Uozumi

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Title Goggles
Author Uozumi
Genre AU/General
Rating PG-13
Disclaimer I do not own nor claim to own this. The characters, ect...contained within are not my property. This is an act of fandom and I do not make a profit from this endeavor.
Summary Funny how a simple shift in fate changes everything and nothing at the same time. Naruto’s life had Obito lived and Rin died. Possible epic fic. Various couplings.
Chapter Prologue, One
Note The genre most likely will evolve with the story. This also will probably turn into an epic fic. Various couplings. Oh and the Yondaime’s name was given out officially as Kazuma Arashi, so I didn’t come up with that name by myself. ^__^

Goggles
Prologue: Rin


The battle was winding down and with a few well places kunai and a kiai, the two boys looked down at the bodies at their feet. The newly appointed Jônin surveyed the look through apathetic brown eyes while the taller and older boy beside him growled under his breath. “Rin! Where is she?” he looked back down the trail the pair had come down moments before the ambush. “Rin’s back there,” the dark haired Genin noted worriedly.

“The mission objective is to deliver this to Daidôji-san,” the silver haired teenager noted without indicating the scroll on his person. “We don’t have time to go back.”

“She would go back for us,” the dark haired boy countered.

“Obito – ”

“I’m going back, Kakashi,” Obito declared. He took a few steps towards the path as he continued to speak, his voice low and intense, “A ninja who can complete missions successfully might be considered skilled, but a ninja who forsakes his friends is trash.”

With the affront to his pride, Kakashi had no choice but to follow after his teammate. They hurried down the path and as they came to another rather open area, they halted, ducking out of the way of an attack. ‘More enemy nins,’ the boys thought as they began to fight. Kakashi, as usual, took down most of them as Obito tried to catch up in number.

“She’s not here,” Kakashi noted dryly. Maybe she had gone to help their sensei with his part of the mission.

“But…” Obito looked around and then froze slightly, his expressive features registering shock which he tried to hold down. Kakashi walked up to look over his competitive teammate’s shoulder and then he stopped short.

“Rin…”

“Rin!” Obito hurried forward to where the girl was bleeding under several fallen trees. “Rin!” He began trying to move the trees off her.

“Obito…” the girls eyes fluttered open and looked up and then she added, “Kakashi…” as her other teammate came into view.

Obito was already picking up the tree nearest her chest when Kakashi held up a hand. “What the – ” he began to demand why Kakashi would stop him and then he looked down. Rin’s body was too crushed, there was too much blood, there wasn’t anything anyone could do.

“I’m sorry,” she was speaking again, blood trickling down her chin. “They came up and I fought but…”

“Don’t talk,” Obito said. It seemed to be aggravating her wounds and he couldn’t think of anything better to say.

Rin gave an uncharacteristically mirthless laugh. “I’m dying…I can’t even feel anything…” her eyes drifted down as though she wanted to see if her body still was attached to her. “So weird…”

Both boys were at a loss what to do and it showed to varying degrees on their faces. Rin gave them a very weak smile as she closed her eyes. “Don’t join me too soon…Tell Arashi-sen…” her voice trailed.

Kakashi and Obito watched her for a long time. Obito opened his mouth to say something, but there wasn’t anything he could say. Everything seemed inappropriate. Kakashi tried to move but he couldn’t, to move seemed disrespectful. Far in the distance there was a screech of a hunting bird. “We – We have a mission,” Obito said quietly. He didn’t want to stay longer to watch the scavengers poke at their teammate.

Chapter One: Ramen


He was just Obito now, never picking a new last name after the clan disowned him. The nineteen-year-old Chûnin had never activated his Sharigan and his right arm was prosthetic after a nasty run in with a boulder that crushed his arm when he was fifteen. That had only been a few months before his sensei became the fourth Hokage, only to die a scant five months later in a battle with the feared Kyûbi.

Just returning from a low B-rank mission, the teenager walked through the streets of Konoha considering what to do with his spare time. The Sandaime had suggested that perhaps Obito should become a teacher at the academy. They had a position they needed to fill, but he thought seventeen-year-old Umino Iruka was the better choice. Obito would always been too late to class anyway and he wasn’t strict enough to do it.

Hearing a commotion, he looked over his shoulder in time to see one of the vendors charging in his direction. Obito wondered what could possibly have the man in such a mood. “Hell, Fujiwara-san, wha – “

“Where is the brat?” the man demanded.

Obito blinked. He knew of many brats, but he had an idea of which the man might be thinking of. “I haven’t seen him in some time, Fujiwara-san.” His foot slip under a table set out nearby. “Maybe he went that way,” he pointed down a nearby alley. “That is where he always runs off to after all.”

Fujiwara eyed Obito for a time and then he went off back to his fruit stand, muttering obscenities. Watching him leave, Obito pushed his glass up his nose slightly as he spoke out the corner of his mouth. “I’m not going to hurt you, but that was too close you know.”

There was no sound from anywhere nearby.

“If you tell me what you did, I’ll take my shoe off your shirt.”

Again there was no answer and Obito simply kept his position relaxed and sighed inwardly. “If I wanted to hurt you, I would have by now you know.” He waited for a response of some sort.

“I drew on his stand,” a small voice came from under the table after a while.

“Ah,” Obito nodded as he spoke in a friendly voice, “you shouldn’t do that you know.”

“He asked for it,” came a dark response.

Obito considered this. He had to concede that Fujiwara was not his most favorite types of people in the world. “What’s your name?” He knew it, but he wanted to make sure. He wasn’t sure he was stepping on the shirt he thought he was.

“Uzumaki Naruto. Can you let my shirt go now?”

“Are you going to run?” Obito watched as people passed him by. He was known for being slightly exocentric so no one seemed to care that he was seemingly talking to himself.

“Only if he comes back,” Naruto replied.

“Promise?”

There was silence on the other side of the table. Obito took it for the best reaction he was going to get out of the boy. He gently eased his foot off the boys shirt and watched as the toddler slipped out from under the table. He barely came up to Obito’s knee. He was very thin as well and looked like he rarely washed the shirt and shorts he was in.

Obito gave him a smile nonetheless as he watched the boy’s eyes give him a suspicious look. Well, he had the boy’s attention, but what to do with it? “I was going to get some ramen, wanna come?” It was the only thing Obito could think of. Everyone loved ramen, right? Or at least, liked it maybe.

Naruto thought this over. He scrutinized Obito who kept his hands where Naruto could see them. Then the boy reached into his back pocket, but Obito spoke. “It’s my treat you know.” Again came the suspicious look, but Naruto agreed after a minute of thinking. Holding out a hand, Obito said, “Well, come on.”

Naruto looked at the hand oddly. Obito instantly drew it away. “You’re a guy, you’re too old to let me lead you around, eh?”

“What?” Naruto gave him a questioning look.

Obito just gave him his lopsided grin. “Let’s go get that ramen.”

~*~


There was sauce all over the boy’s face and his small hands awkwardly tried to imitate Obito’s style of handling chopsticks. Laughing lightly, Obito carefully took the boy’s right hand and put the chopsticks in it in the proper way. “You’re probably right handed. Try it this way now.”

Naruto tried to make the chopsticks pick up a piece of meat in the sauce and his eyes lit up when it worked. He didn’t say thank you, it wasn’t a word he knew. He simply returned to gobbling up the ramen. It was the best thing he had ever tasted. Ichiraku, the man who owned the restaurant had been very accommodating, which surprised Obito. Most people he knew would have been averse to having Naruto in their shop, but the man had only smiled warmly and asked what they wanted.

Naruto was quiet through the meal and simply began to inhale the ramen especially after Obito helped him with the chopsticks. He had always been clumsy at chopsticks, but he used them in his left hand now after going for several months without a right arm. It was just habit now and was surprisingly easier. Smiling to himself, he began slurping up the noodles watching out of the corner of his eye as Naruto tried to mimic him. After finishing, he asked Ichiraku for seconds and noted Naruto was very excited about a second bowl. The thought of how much Naruto must eat usually never crossed Obito’s mind, he just knew the boy looked hungry.

“You know, I always thought you’d look more like your dad.”

Naruto stopped half-way through his slurp, a lone noodle dangling down his chin. His blue eyes were wide as though Obito had started speaking a foreign language. “My dad?” The idea he had parents never occurred to Naruto or if it had, he had quickly dismissed the thought.

“Yeah,” Obito said. “I thought you’d have his hair, but you look kind of like your mom.”

“You know them?” Naruto was surprised.

“Kind of,” Obito murmured. “I met them, but I never really talked to them.”

“Oh,” Naruto said, his eyes casting downward. He wasn’t sure what to make of this. Then he looked back up at Obito. “Whe…” the question died and then Naruto shook his small head. He didn’t want to know where they were. If they were dead, it would be too tragic, and if they were alive, that would be far worse.

Obito shouldn’t have said anything. Even at nineteen, he still had a tendency to say things without thinking. Frowning inwardly, he put on an apologetic smile and changed the topic, “The ramen here is good, isn’t it?”

Naruto accepted the topic change with a smile. “Yeah.”

~*~


Of course when Kakashi had to find Obito he wasn’t anywhere. Why was he playing messenger anyway? He was a Jônin and he hadn’t even talked to his teammate in about three months. Yet, here he was trying to chase down the former Uchiha. He had tried Obito’s apartment but the older shinobi wasn’t there and his landlord hadn’t seen him in two months. Walking down the street, he heard a familiar voice ask, “The ramen here is good, isn’t it?”

Kakashi paused and looked into the ramen stand. There was Obito talking to someone he couldn’t see. Actually, from Kakashi’s angle, it looked like Obito wasn’t talking to anybody. ‘Great…he is going insane,’ Kakashi muttered under his breath. His Hitae-Ate slid over his left eye he lost in the same fight Obito lost his arm in, Kakashi began walking up to his former teammate. He suspected that this was the Sandaime’s way of forcing Obito and Kakashi to talk to each other. It had been four years since their sensei died and the pair just hadn’t kept contact. They had no reason.

“Are you talking to yourself?”

Obito turned at the voice and felt Naruto shrink behind him as though using Obito as a shield. Obito really didn’t blame him, not with Kakashi’s unique appearance of the slight hint of a scar down the bit of his cheek that wasn’t covered by his band. “Kakashi,” he greeted the teenager with a smile, “what are you doing here?”

Kakashi decided to ignore the hint of ‘what the hell do you think you’re doing here’ in the question and replied, “The Hokage wants to see you.”

Obito held his gaze. “Okay.”

“He wants to see you now,” Kakashi added when it looked like Obito wasn’t going anywhere.

“I’ll go in a bit, I’m busy.”

“Talking to yourself?”

The teenagers exchanged an almost visible spark between them. They had never been on the best terms, but with every year their terms seemed to get worse. Naruto managed to make himself even smaller next to Obito. He didn’t like how this conversation sounded. He hoped he wouldn’t be brought into it. He didn’t want this Jônin to notice him here.

Obito considered his retort. Naruto definitely didn’t want to be shown. “If you want to call it that, sure.”

Kakashi stared hard at Obito. Obito stared hard at Kakashi. “Oh well, you’re late to everything,” the Jônin said. “Have fun talking to yourself.” Then he was gone.

“Prick,” Obito murmured under his breath and then he looked down at Naruto. “Sorry about that. Kakashi and I don’t get along.”

“Then why would Gramps want him to talk to you?” Naruto looked up at him. He knew the Sandaime pretty well he thought and pitting people who so blatantly couldn’t stand each other didn’t sound as smart as the Sandaime normally was. Maybe he was finally getting too old for his job or something.

“‘Gramps…?’” Obito gave Naruto a questioning look.

“You know, the old man Hokage,” Naruto continued.

Obito raised an eyebrow. “Fancy you to call him that,” the Chûnin remarked and then he shrugged. “He thinks he can fix things. He can’t.”

Naruto observed Obito’s face and then he said, “You should probably go see Gramps . He doesn’t like it when people are late.”

Obito shrugged. “He knows that I’ll be late.” It would take some time to find the complex anyway. Obito had a habit of taking the long way to places. Looking down at the blonde, he gave him a smile, trying to keep the boy from looking so worried. “Hey, everything’ll be okay,” he said. Then he put money on the counter. “I should start off now.”

“There’s a shortcut,” Naruto said as Obito helped him off the high stool. “You have to go over everyone’s roofs, but you’ll get there fast.”

Obito only smiled. “Sometimes, Naruto, even if it makes you late, the long way is the best way.” Pausing, he asked, “See you around?”

Naruto considered this and then nodded. “Sure!” He watched as Obito went in the completely wrong direction of the shortcut. Sighing, Naruto accepted it. Nobody listened to his advice anyway.

~*~


Obito smiled sheepishly at the secretary outside the Sandaime’s office. It had been two hours since Kakashi caught up with him.

“Looks like Kakashi probably found you in five minutes and you headed straight out,” she murmured. “Probably ran into a whelping lion and got attacked by birds, right?”

“Actualy, I – “

“I don’t want to hear it,” the secretary quipped. “Hokage-sama is expecting you.” She thumbed in the direction of the door. Obito thanked her and then knocked on the door.

“Come in, Obito,” an man’s voice responded.

Swiftly, Obito entered through the door and closed it quietly behind him. “Kakashi said that you wanted to see me, sir?”

“Have you thought about taking the Jônin Exams?” Sarutobi asked. He motioned for Obito to take a chair. He didn’t like prodding people to do things, but they were in a pinch.

“I did last year,” Obito said. “I don’t know if I’m ready to do it again.” He didn’t add that he thought people wouldn’t let him become one again.

Sarutobi accepted the answer. He knew that would be it, but he felt the need to ask. The council was breathing down his throat again and he was keeping himself from lashing out at them. This was why he relinquished his job to Arashi even though the man had been young. The council had enough of the unconventional man. Of course, now he was back in the position (as the Yondaime had requested) and he wasn’t going to give it up again until he was very old.

“Obito, I have a mission for you,” he said after a time. “I need you to go to Suna for a while, do some spying,” he continued eyeing the former Uchiha. “I will need information before the Chûnin Exams this year.”

Obito nodded. Relations with Suna had always been shaky and there were rumors that the Kazekage wasn’t a stable man, especially after his wife’s death five years ago. “What would you like me to do?”

“I would like you to blend into the general population, see what you can find out,” Sarutobi said. “I will send word when I want you to return to Konoha, but I need you to do something else as well.”

“What is it, sir?” Obito was pleased with the job so far. The chance to get out of Konoha sounded nice enough and he liked spy work.

“Do you remember Naruto?” Sarutobi asked.

“Yeah, I just saw him actually,” Obito replied, blinking.

“How did your meeting go?” Sarutobi asked watching Obito intently.

“Not too bad,” Obito kept from adding, “but Kakashi almost ruined it all, the prick.”

“Good, good, because I want you to take Naruto with you,” Sarutobi said. He held up a hand before Obito could say anything. “Orochimaru is missing, and the rumors circulating over his disappearance means Naruto is in danger. I don’t know how you feel about the boy, but it is important that he be taken out of Konoha and hidden.”

Obito frowned inwardly, but kept his expression calm. “Why would he want Naruto?” At the Sandaime’s look, the teenager nodded. “I’ll do it. Should I tell Naruto?”

“No, I plan to tell him tomorrow morning. Can you arrive at eight in the morning?”

Obito nodded. “Yeah, I can.” Well, it was the right thing to say even though they both knew he would be horribly late.

“Good,” Sarutobi smiled in reply, “you will leave soon after our meeting. You may leave.”

“Thank you, sir,” Obito bowed and then he left to prepare for the trip.

To be continued…