TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Just Above the Surface by Antic Nin

[Reviews - 2]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Oh my, this is my first actual story on here. I am usually a partaker ot reading and roleplaying but now I am "god-modding" so to speak and writing my own story. Please enjoy! I would love reviews and possibly a beta since I am not a grammar nazi.
Just Above the Surface

Chapter 1: Friends or Foes?

Who were these people?

They didn’t look like the ones from before.

Was he safe or would he have to try to escape once more.

Dark eyes traveled down the scarred and dull blue scales, scrapped by the pavement.

He was unsure, but his trust in humans would not change.

Sasuke placed a pale hand over the edge of the large pool located in the water park. God, how he hated it here, trapped with no escape. He’d dry out before he reached the ocean if he tried. Yes, Sasuke was not a human, as most who saw him could tell. Where most people had legs, he had a royal blue fish tail. A merman was something you could call him, although he really just preferred “Sasuke”. He hated being differentiated from everyone else just as much as he hated being stared at.

Which was impossible overcome since he was in a large tank, forced to swim in front of a display window, where young children would beat on the plexi glass, thinking it would get him to swim over when all it did was push him farther to the other side of the pool.

But the performances were the worst.

The owner of the establishment treated him like some sideshow freak and forced him into these performances. He acted as if he had trained the raven-haired male to understand only the commands he yelled out, when he knew the human language perfectly. He wasn’t an idiot, although, he felt like one when jumping and leaping for the man.

But now, the man and his workers were gone. All of the creatures were taken except him. He had put up a fight and remained in his now dingy pool. The screaming children were gone, the tricks and shows were no more. It was just Sasuke, and he enjoyed it.

Somewhat.

What he really wanted was to get back to the ocean where he belonged. He and his brother were the last of his family and he knew that Itachi had left for their summer spot, meaning the younger boy was stuck here until he returned. But, for now, all he could do it watch the new people that were moving into the water park. He didn’t know what they would try to do, but he didn’t like it.

Squinting dark eyes, the pale hand slipped from the side and the dark hair disappeared beneath the surface. He was not going to be seen or used by these people. He would try to escape again soon. The weather was beginning to turn warmer, meaning Itachi would have returned to the coast of Japan. Once again, he would wait by the shore, just beyond the Iron Gate and the large paved path the people here called a highway.

“Alright you brats, get the crap out of the truck and bring- Naruto, quit staring around out there and come help!” Jiraiya yelled, running a large hand through his white hair. He had bought this property just recently and with a lot of persuading from his to adoptive sons, Naruto Uzumaki and Kiba Inuzuka, it was about be turned into a marine animal center, where the people of the community could view the animals that inhabited the waters so close to home.

The blonde turned back, rubbing the back of his head and grinning. “Sorry, I got a bit curious. Thought I saw something in one of the pools.” He explained as the other brunette sat his boxes down and went to stare into the pool.

“Well whatever is in there is dead now. Look at this water, it’s disgusting.” Kiba said, his face scrunched up in discomfort as he ran the tips of his fingers through the top of the water. Some of the grime that took residence floated away, revealing a flash of blue as whatever was in the pool swam by.

The tattooed boy couldn’t help but quirk a brow. Maybe there was something down there. No matter, the water was so dirty that he would have to be drained. Whatever was down there would soon be found out. “Maybe some fish that they forgot about or something. Looked kinda big.” He said, turning away from the other to go grab his pile of boxes once more.

The blonde looked into the pool, his tan finger dipping into the water to explore himself, only to meet nothing but putrid water. A look of frustration spread across his visage as he turned to help the others carry in things. His flip flops smacked against the concrete as he departed, bringing a pair of dark eyes to peek out above the water, a look of curiosity swimming within the dark depths.

These people were not like the ones before. Apparently, from what the raven had gathered was that the bright annoying one was called Naruto. He felt the Naruto boy was one that could be trusted, but being the way he was, his trust was going to no one until he was back out in the ocean.

Sasuke watched the other disappear into the small house before bringing his head fully out of the water. He had no idea how long he would able to stay in this tank. The lack of fresh, clean water was beginning to take its toll. Skin that usually pale shone in sunlight like nearly transparent, veins in the boy’s upper body could be traced throughout their journey to the fish half. Under his eyes, dark shadows marred the perfect face, his cheeks a bit sunken in.

As attention was drawn lower, ribs could be seen poking through the boy’s chest. He had not been able to get food since the previous owners left months ago. How he survived this long was a mystery. Most people would have collapsed of starvation after that lengthy time, but the raven had always been a bit of a trooper. He had contemplated eating small bits of his tail, but after seeing the sickly pale blue scales covered in scratched and tears, he decided against it. Not even he was that hungry.

Resting his back against the wall of the pool, he watched as the tattooed male step back into the driveway. A small white dog, that followed the other religiously, sniffed the air, the black nose wiggling as he looked over to the patio. He barked at the dark eyes that was the now sticking out from the water. Kiba looked over, noticing something extending from the surface. It looked like a pair of eyes, dark eyes looming from the depths of that murky water.

Straightening up, he blinked and looked again to see nothing but ripples in the water’s surface. He motioned for the small dog to inch forward and find out what was really lurking in that cesspool. The small claws clicked against the cement as the eyes sniffed at the edge of the pool, glaring into the water. Kiba began to inch closer behind the small animal when a pale hand extended from the water, taking firm hold of the white fur and dragging the yelping dog into the pool.

“Oh know you don’t! You won’t get Akamaru!” he growled, kicking his tennis shoes off and diving into the water. His eyes scanned the murky depths for his furry companion while only meeting the sight of floating algae and debris. Hus legs propelled him forward and his cheeks puffed out, attempting to hold away the precious oxygen he so desperately needed. As his lungs fought with his ignored lack of air, the dark eyes spotted a visible disturbance sloshing the water. Whatever had his dog was struggling with it.

The small white canine had at this point, broken free of the pale clutches and gently paddled itself towards the edge of the pool. In his sides and legs, scratched and bite marks marred pink flesh where fur had been torn away. There was no way he was ever coming near here again. As paws touched the solid ground, the small body fell onto the earth and lay, panting as he awaited his master’s return which would come a few moments later when said owner ran out of oxygen.

A wave of relief rushed over Kiba as he hoisted himself from the water and gently cradled the pup in his arms, looking at the wounds his pet suffered. Glancing at the pool, he stood and made his way into the house to bandage the suffering animal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Look at that thing. I told ya you were being too rough. Idiot. I’m not getting you another one after you run this one off.” Jiraiya scolded, overseeing the treatment being given to the small white dog. Figures the idiot would tell it to get near water. Probably fell in or something and knowing Kiba, he would leap after if whether life depended on it or not.

“No, I’m telling you, whatever was in that pool got a hold of him. Look at the teeth marks!” he explained, pointing out the wounds the dog sported.

“Probably some kind of carnivore fish. They gotta eat too ya know. Akamaru probably leaned over to get a drink, fell in and the fish got him. Get your panties out of a twist; we’ll drain the pool tomorrow.”

“This wasn’t some fish dad. I saw a hand, a fucking human hand, come out of the water and pull him in. Something freaky is in that water and it’s apparently hungry.” He continued on, holding up his own hand to emphasize the fact that there was a human like something in that water.

At this comment, the blonde who had been idly flipping though his iPod stopped and looked up. Something human in the water? He’d have to go check out down there later. He knew after this, his father would have the place basically taped off, but Naruto was never one for following rules. He lived life on a whim and right now, he felt like looking a bit deeper into that pool to discover this mysterious creature.