TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Team Iwagakure Ch. 1: New Beginnings by Spectacular_Insanity

[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes: These characters are my own creations from scratch. The chapter covers the plot largely from Atsuko's perspective, but later chapters will alternate between more characters.
Chapter notes: Translations:
Iwagakure - "Village Hidden in the Rocks", located in the Land of Earth.
Onee-chan - "Older Sister"
tonkatsu - pork cutlet
Tsuchikage - Means "Earth Shadow", and is one of the five kage ("shadows"). Leader of the Hidden Village of Iwagakure.

She was late. Atsuko quickly shrugged into her mesh undergarments and slipped on her beige colored pants and shirt as she quickly ran a comb through her dark brown hair. This is not the way I wanted to start off the year, she thought to herself. She finished up buttoning her shirt and strapping on her ninja tool pouch and grabbed her Iwagakure headband and tied it around her neck. Despite the late hour, Atsuko’s blue eyes sparkled with anticipation of meeting her new sensei and teammates. Her previous team members had been reassigned, so Atsuko had then been relegated to a different squad.

”Take care, dear,” her mother said to her as she ran past her and out through the door. “Don’t be late, Atsuko,” her father added.

”See ya!” Atsuko called back to her parents.

Atsuko ran down the road to where they were supposed to meet, panting with the effort. She was usually on time for everything, but she had stayed up so late last night worrying that she had barely been able to fall asleep. Passing by the general store and shopping center, she spun on her heel and took off towards the academy, where her team had been scheduled to meet, along with all of the other Iwagakure squads.

She arrived at the academy and ran up the stairs, hoping that they hadn’t started yet. Atsuko slowed her pace and caught her breath, searching for Room 2-04b. She found it, and heard some voices inside. She didn’t know what they were saying, but she stood up a bit straighter and casually walked in, wanting to make a good first impression. Inside waited two other genin, one was a black-haired boy wearing a katana across his back, and the other…

”HONOKA!” Forgetting any pretense of propriety, Atsuko rushed forward and enveloped her younger sister in a bone-crushing hug. “When did you become a genin? This is incredible!”

As Honoka struggled to release herself, she croaked, “You’re hurting me, Onee-chan.”

Flushing bright pink, Atsuko released her and stepped back, murmuring a quick apology, both to Honoka and the boy she didn’t know yet.

”I’m sorry, how rude of me,” she said to the newcomer. “My name’s Yamaguchi Atsuko. What’s yours?” She held out her hand and put on as friendly a smile as she could despite her embarrassment at her previous complete lack of etiquette.

The boy leaned forward slightly, took her hand, and nodded. “Name’s Dazai Masaru. Nice to meet you.”

Nodding in acknowledgement, Atsuko gestured towards her sister. “So I take it you and Honoka have already been introduced?”

Masaru just nodded, and looked out the window, staring at the distant mist-covered mountains.

”I see…” She turned her attention once more to Honoka and asked, “So, how did you get here, anyway? I didn’t know you were a genin yet.”

Her sister blinked her emerald green eyes and just shrugged. “I skipped a level, I guess.”

”I never heard about that. Mom never tells me anything. How did that happen, exactly?”

Honoka looked sheepish and stared at the floor, kicking around some dust underneath a desk. ”Well, you see…”

”Sorry I’m late,” a deep voice murmured from the back of the classroom. All three genin leaped into the air in surprise, and Masaru almost fell off the desk he was sitting on.

Walking towards the front of the classroom, the ninja stood in front of the genin and put his hands in his pockets. His grey eyes reflected the morning light and his black hair was much darker than Honoka’s or Atsuko’s brown. “Sorry for startling you like that,” he said flatly. “Shall we begin?” The genin merely stared at him blankly. Honoka nudged Atsuko and whispered, “He was so quiet, I never even heard him enter.” Atsuko nodded in silent agreement.

The man sighed. “Well, I suppose I should start off my introducing myself. Hmmm… let’s do this by saying your name, your favorite food, and a personal goal.” He cleared his throat. “My name is Yamanouchi Hiroto, but you can call me Hiroto-sensei. No need for extreme formalities. My favorite food is, hm, let’s see…sushi. No personal goals at the moment. Next?” He looked at Honoka.

Looking a bit flustered, Honoka said, “Oh, er, uh, m-me? O-okay. My name’s Yamaguchi Honoka, I like tonkatsu a lot. Um, personal goals? I’d have to say to become Iwagakure’s best kunoichi!” She smiled meekly.

”Well, alright then,” Hiroto said. “Next?” He nodded to Masaru, who didn’t look incredibly enthusiastic.

Masaru sighed. “If I must. My name is Dazai Masaru. I like red-bean manju. My personal goal…” He thought for a moment. “…is to reunite my clan and stop the infighting amongst its members.”

”Excellent. And lastly we have…” He looked at Atsuko.

She stood up straight again and said with confidence, “I’m Yamaguchi Atsuko, my favorite food is beef ramen, and I really want to become a sensei myself one day at the Academy.”

Hiroto took his hands out of his pockets and motioned for everyone to draw together. ”Well, now that that’s done with, I would like to officially welcome you to the newly formed Iwagakure Squad Four. I know that this is going to be a new experience for everyone, just coming out of the Academy and all, but bear with me, because it’s all a part of your training.” He took a breath to gather his thoughts and continued. “As you all know Iwagakure is under pressure from other hidden villages to participate in the upcoming Chuunin Exams, but because of our political instability at the moment, I seriously doubt if that’s going to be possible. Either way, I’m still going to teach you all you’ll need to survive and complete your respective missions with excellence.”

”What kind of missions will we be getting, sir?” Atsuko inquired.

”Because you all are new genin, in all likelihood nothing higher than D-rank missions. Perhaps if you can prove yourselves responsible enough, the Tsuchikage will assign you all something maybe even as high as a C-rank mission, but that’s far in the future,” Hiroto answered.

”Aw, that’s no fun at all,” Honoka complained.

Hiroto smirked and folded his arms across his chest. “Maybe, but that’s how it’s going to be. You all still have a lot to learn.”

”Hey!” Honoka protested. “I bet I could handle a C-rank mission.”

Atsuko grabbed her little sister by the shoulder. “Woah there, watch it Honoka…” she warned.

Hiroto raised a hand to forestall her and looked at Honoka square in the eye. “Are you so sure? C-rank missions are more often than not protection and escort missions. If you didn’t even realize I was there,“ he jabbed a finger toward the back of the room, “then what chance do you suppose you would have of protecting the client?” Honoka stared at the floor, kicking around the dirt again. Masaru was taking it all in silently, with no clue as to what he was thinking.

”I know each of you is eager for more challenging missions to begin, but you must understand that the real world isn’t about fun-and-games. It is a serious matter, and you have to be ready.” He walked over to the instructor’s desk at the front of the room and sat on it. “Now, on a lighter note, your training starts today, right now.” Finally, this is what I’ve been waiting for, Atsuko thought.

”To test your speed, meet me at the training grounds in ten minutes. Last one there buys the rest of the team lunch.” And with that last word, Hiroto vanished in a puff of smoke.

The genin stared for a moment then sprang into action. Masaru silently jumped out of the window and fell one story to the ground, raising a cloud of dust as ran towards his objective on foot.

”Damn,” Atsuko swore. “He’s getting away!” She turned towards her sister. “Honoka, let’s—” There was no one in the room. Atsuko gritted her teeth and clenched her fist involuntarily. That little backstabber. Some sister.

Stretching as quickly as she could without hurting herself, she prepared to make a mad dash through the streets of Iwagakure. There was no way she was going to be late this time. And she definitely wasn’t going to be the one to buy the team lunch. She jumped out through the window that Masaru had used, hit the ground, and started running.