TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


People Like You by m_brainiack

[Reviews - 3]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
“What are you doing here?” Itachi’s voice was quietly harsh. I hadn’t seen him this mad since… ever.

I held his gaze, trying my best not to flinch at the vise-like grip he had on my arm. “You’re going to have to be more specific. Do you mean here, like here in the hallway, or do you mean…”

Itachi’s fist tightened infinitesimally, making me flinch. His voice was still harsh and slightly louder, “What are you doing with the Akatsuki?” I shuddered as his hot breath fanned my face, unable to look away from his cold crimson eyes, unable to show emotion even now. His apathetic eyes caused pain to shoot through me, but I blinked and looked away, carefully sealing away my escapist heart.

I stared at the wall, trying to gather my scattered thoughts. For a second I felt real panic, afraid that I was going to fail, that my bleeding heart would ruin my meticulously executed plan. But the panic was stored with my heart and soon I could feel neither. I felt Itachi shake me a little, repeating his question. I brought my gaze back to his, this time only feeling a little flutter in the place my heart used to occupy. I watched his face as I spoke, trying vainly to match his expression.

“All that talk from you and Kisame got my attention. I did some searching and found that I fully agree with the Akatsuki vision. I’m here to offer my help wherever I can.”

A flicker of something came into Itachi’s eyes as I spoke. What was it? Anger? Surprise? Incredulity? Whatever it was, it vanished before I was finished and his eyes were frozen fire as he replied.

“That’s the worst lie I’ve ever heard. Who would believe you want to be part of the Akatsuki? You hate it to the very core of yourself.” He was watching my face but I was very careful to keep my expression neutral. He continued, “What’s the real reason you’re here?”

I avoided the harder questions, choosing to answer his rhetorical question instead. “The Akatsuki recruiters believed me. And why shouldn’t they? I’m fully committed to the cause. Give me an order, it will be done. Whether it’s theft, espionage, assassination, I’m your girl…” I cut my ramble short, suddenly afraid of the hard line his mouth had become. I was too much of a coward to meet his eyes, focusing instead on his left ear. I felt a blush creeping up my neck as he continued to look at me, not speaking. I silently prayed that he break the silence before my color gave my lies away.

Finally the silence became too much. I steeled myself and shifted my gaze to his eyes. Another tendril of sadness snaked through me as I stared deep into the dead red of his irises, finding none of the anger I imagined there. Only the flat, blank wall that I had come to expect. That one tendril of sadness grew, until it was a thousand long, sticky tendrils threatening to strangle me. I don’t know if Itachi could see the anguish in my expression, his own gave nothing away.

The silence stretched, minutes passing with neither of us speaking. I struggled to force the depression back into its little corner, but it was putting up a fight. Itachi continued to watch, his eyes getting more distant every second. Just when the quiet was about to suffocate me, Itachi finally spoke.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. You can’t do the things you say you can.” I tried to speak but he continued. “It isn’t your lack of skill. I know better than any of them what you can do.

“But you lack the resolve. You cannot possibly hope to commit some of the acts that will be asked of you. Your heart will not allow it.” A glimpse of what might have been triumph flickered in his eyes — he knew he had me. I had my doubts about what would happen when it came to the crunch. But I knew in the end I would have no choice. I was in now, there was no turning back.

With this thought in my mind, I faced him and said, with a ghost of smile on my face, “That’s where you’re wrong, Itachi. My heart is gone. I can do anything I need to now.”

Itachi was confused. He kept it well hidden, but I knew him well enough to see it. He said only one word. “Gone?”

My smile grew, and I knew it was only a hateful imitation of a real smile. “My heart doesn’t control my actions anymore. I’ve sealed it away, just like you.”

“Why would you do that?” His voice was quiet, and just a little patronizing. I could tell he didn’t believe me capable of being detached in any sense. A while ago I would have agreed with him, but not anymore. I felt it was time to prove just how different I was.

I took a small step towards him. He observed my actions with only slight interest, shifting his position to keep the space between us. I took another step, and another, forcing him back. The hallway was narrow and soon he was against the wall, still watching me warily. Two more steps and the space between us vanished. Before my heart could break free I bound it in an extra layer of ice. Then I lifted my face to Itachi.

I thought Itachi had guessed my plan of action. He stood quietly, gazing down his nose at me. My resolve wavered but I closed my eyes and leaned into him. My hands found his head and guided it down so that our lips met. I could tell by the anxious tension in him that I had been wrong; whatever Itachi had been expecting, it wasn’t this. I used his shock to my advantage, pressing my body closer to his. I kissed him as fiercely as I knew how, shocking him yet again with my enthusiasm. I knew I had to strike now, before his mind caught up with what was happening.

One moment I was kissing him with all I had, trying not to enjoy it too much; the next, the blade of my kunai was glistening against the pale skin of his throat.

I tipped my head back, making sure to not look away from his eyes. No shock remained, only the heart-tearing apathy. I was suddenly angry with him, in a rage over the fact that I was inches from taking his life and all he did was stare at me with condescending eyes.

My voice was thick with quiet fury that threatened to boil over. “I could kill you right now, and not feel a thing. Nothing can hurt me now. I could kill you!” I pressed the blade closer to his skin, emphasizing my words. I didn’t acknowledge the little part of me that died at the thought of Itachi dead. I focused on my anger at him, his eyes goading me on.

Itachi’s voice never quavered. “Do it, then.”

I waited for the punch line, but it never came. I realized he was deadly serious. He wanted me to kill him. If I could.

I faltered for one moment and that was all it took. In a second too quick for me to see, the tables turned and I was the one with my back to the wall. Itachi leaned in, pressing my kunai to my flesh. I did not gasp as the blade pierced my skin, watching him with defiance radiating from every pore in my body. Itachi took in everything in less than a second, the set of my jaw, the anger in my eyes, and the misery in my soul. His breath smelled sweet as he whispered in my ear.

“You will never change. People like you never do.”

Then he was gone, walking steadily down the hallway away from me. He took with him all of my anger and my strength. It left me feeling cold and empty. I felt the need to call after him, the lack of feeling in my voice no longer a lie.

“People like me, Itachi?”

He stopped with his hand on the door handle. A moment passed, and then he said so quietly I had to strain to hear, “Good people. Truly good people who love and cherish life. People like you can’t do the things I can.” He left and the door clicked shut behind him.

I stared at the spot where he had disappeared, finally releasing my heart. As the tears flowed freely, assuaging my wounded heart, I replied softly.

“You’re wrong.”
Chapter end notes: This was written as a one shot, but if anyone wants me to continue it I might.