TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11987
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Hdidh
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


The Journal of Kiba - A KibaxHinata Story by TTM

[Reviews - 14]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, or any of it's characters. I DO own my original characters, which are and remain my own intellectual property.

Written by Inquisitor-Bryce (Time Travelling Mechanic), for use on bandaicg.com, TONFA, deviantART, and LH’s Forum ONLY. If this FanFic is posted anywhere else, please contact me
**********

Chapter Two

Date – September 19

Weather – Rain

Song listened to today – Tomorrow Comes Today by The Gorillaz

After debriefing last night the Elder Council asked that Hinata, Iruka and myself take a few days off before we are assigned a new mission. No complaints from any of us. I’m just happy to see the end of that mission. If I never see another canary again I will rest easy after I’m dead. At least the old man got what he wanted.

When we got home it turned out that a few of our friends have some time off tomorrow, so Hinata and myself politely asked them to come around for a midday meal and tea, since we haven’t seen any of them for a while. Still waiting on a response from Shikamaru, Chouji, Ino and Kankurou but I think they’ll be here. I checked with Shizune and they haven’t got a mission rostered on for today. I told the kids they can invite a few of their friends over too, but I think they all said they were busy because both of them are sulking. Ah well, they’ll get over it, I told them they can go and play once the party is over.

So, a little weight training in the morning followed by a lunch with friends. It’s been a while since we had everyone over like this, so I’m looking forward to it. A shame that Iruka won’t be here but he has told us he will be otherwise engaged, and is being quite secretive about it. Whatever, he can do what he likes without us prying. He is a grown man after all, even if he is drunk half the time.

Reminder: the bathroom sink the kids use isn’t getting hot water. Look into that on the weekend.

(Narrator’s Note: Different pen)
Huh, there’s quite a storm raging outside the mountain. For once I’m glad we don’t get weather in here.

**********

Lightning exploded across the sky, carving a silver arc of energy as it sliced through the torrent like a flashing blade through the heavens, striking off at nothing in particular, venting it’s anger on the clouds which created it. Unseasonable rain assailed Kozu Mountain, the twisted pines on it’s feet groaning and swaying in torment under the battering they received from the strong winds. The brown pine needles on the forest’s floor had decomposed already and left the evergreen trees vibrant and green as they swayed like a sea of hands clawing towards a pool’s surface forever out of reach, a sure sign that Autumn was retreating in the presence of Winter as it always did. The sky erupted again, the crash resounding across the forests around the dark mountain, standing unfazed in the midst of the storm. It had withstood thousands of tempests which put this to shame, and although the angry black clouds raged at the rock it still stood as it always did, imposing it’s menace across the land, the rain which reached it’s mantle freezing soon after contact.

The downpour drove in through the roof of the cavern, a solid sheet of water which doused two of the bonfires out in the wastes of Kamigakure, that barrier of nothingness between the city’s walls and the entrance to the mountain. The runoff sluiced down redundant streets and old foundation lines, sweeping small splinters and glass shards along as it mosaiced the carved stone floor, the lifegiving water wasted in that desolate cavern. One thing was for sure: the storm wasn’t letting up anytime soon. Outside thunder boomed, the sound muffled from the populated ventricle of Kozu’s dark heart by the thick walls of obsidian light-absorbing stone.

A squad of four Ninja on guard out in the wastelands stood near one of the extinguished burners and watched the downpour as it filled the old streets in front of them before moving onward towards the giant mountain of rock, stepping over the larger of the crevasses caused by the slab’s inglorious impact after falling from the vertiginously high ceiling all those years ago.
Nothing had happened out of the ordinary this morning, apart from the six ANBU and the Chunin escorting the two envoys from the Land of Lightning across the wastes to the city. None of the Ghost-Nin liked having outsiders in their home but the fact that Kakashi was leading the ANBU squad made them feel much better. Besides, Matsukara Yuriko was using her Pitch Black Midnight Jutsu on them, so it’s not like they could report anything apart from a shroud of black. She was a powerful Chunin, likely to become a Jounin very soon. And she was very attractive, her twin brown ponytails of satiny hair displaced by her eyes, blue like an inviting sky on a clear day. But everyone knew that she was not attainable, that her appearance belied a heart frozen in time. Less than that knew the why, the story behind her, that she was not interested in having a boyfriend since some old flame of hers died during the fall of Konoha. One of the younger of the four guards out in the wastes had asked her out to a club while intoxicated a good year ago, and pressed the point after she refused. Yuriko had used her Genjutsu to make him dance on the awning to Akiko Hotel in his underwear just as the Elder Council had adjourned their meeting and were leaving Akiko Temple. Very few men had approached her with romantic advances since, leaving her to perpetual loneliness. As was her preference.

*****

Another dulled clap of thunder resounded across the black and gray city, safe from the onslaught of the elements taking place outside the evil looking mountain. Hinata looked out from the balcony of her home towards the hole in the cavern’s roof, an almost clearly definable line of rain torrenting in through the great rent in the stone above before crashing to the floor near the great rock in the wastes. It was very unusual weather, to have such strong rains and winds at this time of the year. Maybe some malevolent Kami spirits wanted to fill this chasm with water and let it become frozen by the winter, trapping the mournful city and it’s ghosts in a tomb of ice forever. She smiled at the thought. If that was the case, the spirits would have to try harder.

She dismissed the foolish train of thought from her mind with a smile and kept on walking to the kitchen, a tray laden with crockery used over lunch in her hands. Her simple house shoes sounded against the wooden deck of the verandah softly as she crossed the dark stained wood, stopping at a shoji door before the corner where Minoruko and Satoroshi sat and waited, looking bored. Today Hinata wore a thin cotton jinbei, a simple robe-like garment, tinted forest green and tied with an emerald obi. Black three quarter pants matched her sandals in ease of wear. As always her sapphire necklace hung down around her neck, delving towards the folds of the jinbei which it complimented elegantly. Kiba had once told her that the bejewelled necklace matched personality and spirit and not the clothing she wore, which is why it always looked stunning when Hinata wore it. She loved the necklace. It was one of the most treasured objects she had ever received.

“Here, let me help you Hinata-san.” Sakura said, appearing beside her and opening the shoji door for her so she wouldn’t have to break step.
“Arigatou, Sakura-san.” Hinata smiled at her friend before entering, inviting Sakura inside for a moment where together they cleared the tray and stacked the dishes to be washed later.

The years had been kind to Haruno Sakura. She had grown taller than both Hinata and Ino by a small amount but was still shorter than most men, almost what one could call a perfect height. Her emerald green eyes shone with inner intelligence and strength, brighter than they had years ago, yet they also spoke of compassion and understanding, a trait which helped her immensely as a Medic-Nin. Her light pink hair was still short but since her first Chunin exams long ago she had come to like it at this length and maintained it at just over shoulder height. Her large forehead had stayed the same but it didn’t detract from her soft and vibrant face, still youthful in appearance despite the death and suffering she had seen through her work at the hospital and her rare mission afield. Lastly, but arguably most noticeably, she had become quite busty as she had come of age. Shikamaru once joked to Iruka that she must take after her old Sensei in that aspect. Tragically Mizune overheard the comedic remark, and made his life ‘more troublesome’ for a good month, giving him demeaning personal missions before figuring he had learned his lesson. Indeed Sakura’s knockout figure had attracted a good deal of attention, but across the years she had not kept a relationship for more than a month. In her absence Ino and Tenten disclosed that Sakura still held a candle for Uchiha Sasuke, even if she herself didn’t realise it.

Today the pink haired kunoichi had opted for a slim fitting fuchsia sun dress, over which she wore a simple gray jacket. Her headband was absent today as she wasn’t on duty at the hospital. Even though she was now one of the senior nurses at Kamigakure Hospital Sakura was glad that Suna’s refugees had included a few Medic-Nin to help her cope with the injured. Without them, she would still be sea deep in a sea of the dead and dying practically by herself, losing her very soul in an unending sea of blood and pain, blood which couldn’t come off…
Those memories were still hard to bear. But now that she had help it wasn’t so bad.
Suddenly snapping out of her dark memories Sakura commented politely on the warmth of the house as the pair of old friends finished up in the kitchen, ready to return outside and save Ino from her boredom.

*****

Outside a table had been set up so that everyone could enjoy their lunch in the open, if such a term can be used in the hollow heart of a mountain. The traditional wooden table sat near the tea ceremony house where the scent of lavender had drifted to the guests as they ate and forgot about their worries, if only for a few hours. Now that the meal had ended the group had split into smaller groups who had drifted apart from each other, some venturing further into the compound’s yard as their conversations consumed them.

Strolling along a path around the gently rippling koi pond, Kiba spoke with Kankurou and Shikamaru. Light from the balcony’s rail mounted braziers reflected off the pond’s surface and alighted on the figures as Kiba spoke to Kankurou, his hands gesturing in front of him animatedly. Today the black leather jacket had been traded for a zippered hooded jacket of the style he still enjoyed in casual settings with fatigue style brown pants and a scuffed pair of hiking boots. Next to him Kankurou Sabaku replied, scratching his chin with his right hand, careful as always not to smudge the facepaint he so carefully applied every day. He still wore the black stage suit and Cat Hat of a Bunraku puppeteer that he had always worn, but since the fall of Suna he had removed his family’s crest from his shirt for personal reasons. Strapped across his back were two large summoning scrolls he had written himself, containing his two newly made puppets. The symbol of Suna sat proudly on his Cat Hat’s reflector, shining with the sunburst of Kamigakure in it’s background. Following the group was Shikamaru. He listened to the conversation as the group wandered directionlessly across the compound and back again as they talked, occasionally butting in or joking with the pair. He sported an expensive blue buttoned shirt with long sleeves and casual jeans over his Ninja tabi, his hair drawn back as it always was with the tips of his tie hanging down loosely as he listened to Kankurou talk in his rough, low voice.

“It scared the hell out of me, I’ll tell you. I mean sure, we’ve been dating for a few years and we’ve shared our apartment for about twelve months but marriage is for old people. Only idiots get married young.” the puppeteer said resolutely before realising his faux pah and apologising hastily “No offence Kiba-san. You and Hinata-san are one of the exceptions.” He said, smiling in embarrassment and scratching the back of his head through his Cat Hat.
Kiba looked at Kankorou for a second before lowering his half cocked fist. It wasn’t like he had intentionally said it, after all. Today the puppeteer wore a blue line across his eyes which spiked twice to his temples, blue the colour in Kabuki and Noh plays which signified the villain. The facepaint was what a stagehand who controlled a Salamander puppet would paint on their face. So, he rebuilt another of the puppets. Good to see that he is moving on. thought Kiba, happy for Kankurou.
“Hey, you saved my life back when we were Genin and I haven’t paid you back yet. I think I can overlook the insult.” The Dog-Nin retorted quickly with a smile, dismissing the unintentional insult. Kankurou and Shikamaru laughed a little as another crash of thunder rumbled outside the mountain before Shikamaru interjected, walking between the two and parting them a little with his hands.
“She has always wanted to settle down while she was young, even when she was a little girl. Well, at least to my knowledge. Surely you two talked about marriage and kids before this?”
Kankurou replied in a surly tone, his eyes perturbed at the thought. “Man, I hate kids.”
Kiba laughed out loud at this and patted his old friend on the back above the top summoning scroll.
“That changes when you have your own. Trust me on that one. But putting that issue aside, she’s a beautiful woman and like you said you’re both young. So just forget about it for a while and have some fun, neh?”
“That’s exactly what I’ve been telling her! We’re young and in love, why can’t we just enjoy that before moving on? Maybe it’s because she’s blonde?” Kankurou replied forlornly, his hands palm up in exasperation. Shikamaru laughed, hands in his pockets while he shrugged, a gentle smile illuminating his face.
“In my experience, most blondes are controlling. And beautiful.” he said, referencing Kankurou’s late sister Temari. There was silence for a moment as they both remembered the bossy older sibling of Kankurou, and how much they missed her.

*****

Kankurou had been present at the fall of Suna, and had fought to keep Orochimaru away from Gaara alongside his sister Temari. At the battle of the Kazekage’s keep Temari had been horrendously injured by one of Orochimaru’s Death Jutsu, crippling her. Kankurou had rushed to his sister’s side as Orochimaru and Gaara fought their clash of ages above, the roof of the tower collapsing from the sheer mightiness of the combatants, two beings of unimaginable power, one a Legendary Sannin, the other the Fifth Kazekage. Kankurou, his puppets destroyed, had grabbed his comatose sister and fled, looking back long enough to see his brother’s demise and the end of Sunagakure. He joined up with a group of refugees and escaped. Two weeks later they were found by a Kamigakure squad and led back to Kozu, away from their home and everything they had ever known, lost forever.
Upon arrival Temari had been admitted to hospital where the doctors did what they could for her. But the Death Jutsu’s crippling was only part of her terrible illness. As the weeks passed she became weaker as her very soul rotted and wasted away, the illness gaining access to the spirit through her chakra pathways. After a few days Shikamaru had learned of Temari’s arrival and feeling indebted to her for saving his life sat with her, keeping her company in those lonely days alongside Kankurou and staying even when her brother was called away by the Elder Council. After all he was the last surviving family of the Kazekage, and looked up to by the refuges from the Country of Wind.
It was during these long days and nights of waiting with her, holding her hand and brushing her golden hair out of her face that Shikamaru realised that out of all the women he had ever met, even though she was undoubtedly the most troublesome she was also the only one he truly felt a deep connection with, on a spiritual level. On the day Temari passed he confessed his love to her. Kankurou had been absent at the time of her death, returning to find only an empty bed and a devastated and broken man. He took it hard, blaming himself for not caring enough for the last of his family, but was eternally grateful to Shikamaru for being there for her and seeing her to the next world, a caring and familiar face to see her peacefully depart this world. They had been friends ever since, both sharing the pain of Temari’s loss. And although it was okay now sometimes the picture of that day would come back to them, her form finally at rest, a beautiful golden haired angel.

*****

Shikamaru leaned in to his black clad puppeteer friend and spoke consolably.
“Hey, I’m sure Temari would approve of you and Ino. She’s really something.”
“Yeah.” Kankurou said softly as he looked over at the blonde kunoichi seated near the flame lit tea house, a thin smile peering through his make-up. “She is.”

*****

Yamanaka Ino sat on the wooden bench outside the teahouse with her sleeve covered arms crossed as she watched Chouji cram another rice ball into his gullet, unashamedly seated at the table after the others had left. Even after all these years seeing someone eat so much when they were so overweight was slightly nauseating. The fact that he was a teammate and confidante made things worse. He barely even chews the food! she screamed in her mind, wanting to ignore him but unable to look away as her shock reached previously unplumbed depths.

Over the eight years Ino had really taken care of her figure. She stuck with a specific diet and applied herself endlessly to taiso, the physical conditioning of one’s body a Ninja had to endure. As a result she was extremely flexible, lean and athletic, without an ounce of fat on her. Her hair had grown very long, ending just lower than the small of her back and she tied it in one great ponytail, with a lengthy golden fringe obscuring part of her face from time to time giving her what she liked to think of as an air of mystery.
Outside a bolt of lightning arced past the hole in the roof, lighting the city dimly for a split second before fading just as suddenly, the mighty crash still muffled by Kozu. Unconsciously Ino drew the tie of her black woollen tenchcoat tighter, outlining her figure darkly and highlighting her ponytail as she sat in the scent of pleasant lavender and waited for Hinata and Sakura to come back so she could continue gossiping about Kankurou.

Originally when he had arrived Ino had wiped Kankurou off as an unattractive, blunt man who hid his hideousness behind a layer of face paint. But as the weeks passed at the hospital and she brought in clothing and food for Shikamaru, who sat alongside the puppeteer and refused to leave Temari’s side, Ino began to see him in a new light. He obviously cared deeply for his siblings, and held himself responsible for, inevitably, both their deaths. Not to mention that behind the Bunraku Cat Hat he was actually attractive, as she saw once in the Shrine of Ghosts where he had removed his hat as a sign of respect to the many Kami who chose to reside in that dark junction of underground rivers. Three years ago she had gone on a date with him out in the Wastes and they had been together ever since, even moving into the same apartment on Akiko Hotel’s second floor. Chouji could see the change in her personality, she only rarely told people what she thought of them on occasion, unlike she used to. In return she had helped Kankurou to stop hating himself, eventually enabling him to carve new puppets and become a Ninja again. The first, a Crow style puppet, he had carved with the kanji for love in it’s forehead. He missed his family every day.

Tsuboro noticed Ino’s discomfort from his spot leaning against the perimeter wall. He would have said something but there wasn’t much to say. Chouji eats large amounts, it’s for his Ninjutsu and she’s had ten years to get past it. Nothing he could say would make a difference.
The sick Ninja had grown tall but remained thin and malnourished in appearance, his skin becoming slightly paler and even more corpselike over time, the yellow hue more pronounced and discomforting. His jaw had strengthened somewhat and was now covered in stubble from where not being shaved that morning. Black greasy dreadlocks decorated with beads of different colours, shapes and materials remained his hairstyle, the lengths now parted down the middle of his head and trailing down close to his shoulders, more a the back. Occasionally he would bundle a ponytail before beading the lengths, but not today. Under his front locks and behind his severely defined cheekbones Tsuboro’s sunken eyes had remained sickly yellow and clouded, judging everything across the dark courtyard from his current station. He crossed his arms as if trying to get warm, not that he could feel the cold. As always he wore a tattered light brown gi, the sleeves torn so that his forearms could fit through the gashes. The Kamigakure reflector was tied over his obi on a brown tie which matched the brown of the suit’s trim, and lastly the sickly thin ninja wore a good pair of wooden geta as he preferred to do when not on mission. Silently he wished that either Burai or Yuriko were here to talk with. But Burai was off training out in the torrential rain outside the mountain and Yuriko… well, Yuriko would rather stab herself with a senbon needle than come here. Besides, she had been called away by the Elder Council early that morning as Tsuboro had left his apartment in Akiko, chatting with her limitedly as she had hurried past. One didn’t keep the Elder Council waiting too long.

So far Tsuboro Ominari hadn’t dated anyone. Looking like a corpse and being immune to physical sensation isn’t something your average woman looks for in a boyfriend. But in truthfulness he had never asked anyone either, reasoning that he was young and he wasn’t currently missing what he had never known. He preferred to be alone and train, the life of a Ninja having become his only passion.

Over at the low wooden table itself Chouji plucked the last morsel of food, half a ripe nashi pear, off it’s plate. As he did, Akamaru stared at him across the wood, sensing there was nothing more and begging for the sweet fruit. The efforts were in vain.
“Sorry Akamaru but I will enjoy this more than you will.” Chouji intoned simply before eating the slice, elicting a whine of self pity from the large white dog who slunk away to find Kiba in defeat. Akimichi Chouji wore a red robe which could easily have armour fastened over it’s top in a moment with traditional grass sandals. His cheeks still had the red spiral paint on them and his light brown, almost red hair he had kept long and rough as he thought it emphasized physique and not girth. He had enough weight to perform some powerful jutsu but through his arduous training just couldn’t achieve a truly heavy weight. Not that he had applied himself to weight gain. He wasn’t anywhere near as heavy as many Akimichi had grown to be but that also suited him fine, as he wanted a wife someday, and the heavier he was the harder it would be, and he had standards, even though they weren’t incredibly high.

Sensing the lack of mood Tsuboro spoke out, his gravelly voice projecting through the void to the two close to him.
“So Ino-san, why couldn’t Lee and Tenten come?” They had promised they would. Ino replied after flicking rogue golden hair out of her eyes, the scent of the lavender drifting to her suddenly, pleasantly.
“The Elder Council had a mission for them. Someone who had hired them before asked for Lee and Tenten specifically.” As she spoke Ino leaned in and studied Kiba’s Juniper Bonsai tree on the table in front of her. He really did take care of it, the leaves sculpted in pontoons like green clouds. She forgot the name Kiba had given the plant.
“Hey, they’re getting popular.” Tsuboro joked about their friends, the dreadlocked Ninja shivering involuntarily. Ino was about to ask if he was ill, but remembered it was Tsuboro she was talking to. She smiled politely at his joke before Hinata and Sakura finally emerged from the house and walked over the stone yard to her bench again, greeting everyone present and apologising for their lengthy absence.

*****

“What do we do now?” asked Satoroshi, staring lazily over the koi pond in front of their stretch of balcony. Minoruko didn’t even respond, staring across the brazier lit compound with bored eyes, waiting for a good excuse to leave.

The brother and sister sat on the balcony in their usual attire, tired of the party. Their friends had already planned to play in the back alleys today and didn’t want to be caught up in a compound, leaving the Inuzukas to their boring fate alone. This hadn’t particularly bothered Minoruko at the time because she still thought her best friend Taroji was coming to keep her company. But last night Taroji had a fight with the Cutters, a small group of orphans the same age as they were and all involved had been reprimanded by the orphanage’s Director. Stupid Cutters the little girl thought venomously. They always started fights with the other kids, either in recess at the Academy or out in the streets and back alleys where they played. One of these days her, Taroji and Satoroshi would have to beat them up to show them they weren’t as tough as they thought.

Satoroshi leaned back on his hands with his legs in front of him, staring at the colourful koi and bland white cavefish he had trained his Byakugan on most days that week. Mindless animals. All they do is swim around and eat. His pale, pupilless eyes narrowed in disdain of the small animals before moving on to Taroji’s situation. He wanted to beat up the Cutters too, but they needed a plan first. Attacking them in the open was suicide. There were, like, six of them. No, this would definitely take a plan. Later, I’ll think of one he resolved as he rolled his neck, the joint cracking and popping hollowly.
Nearby the half-heartedly scheming boy his sister was slouched against the rails with an arm hanging through the bars lazily, watching her parent’s guests off in their little groups. They both yawned, her sapphire tattoos standing out starkly from her pale skin and his purple hair shining slightly in the light of the brazier, the tips bent downwards as always. To pass the time earlier on the siblings had taken turns to punch each other in the shoulder. Now even that had gotten boring so they sat in silence and waited for at least one guest to leave so they could follow along out of the compound. It was nearly twelve thirty. Everyone was probably at the vacant lot they had found a week ago playing soccer across the mounds of rubble. And we’re stuck here. Minoruko yawned again.

The squad of ANBU at the gate shattered their boredom completely.

*****

Kiba left Kankurou and Shikamaru and walked across the stone compound yard to the open gate, approaching the Ninja at the entrance as Hinata and Akamaru joined him, their guests retreating to the lunch table politely.
“What do you think it’s about?” Ino asked Kankurou, putting her arm around his lower back as they both stared across the yard.
“I don’t know, Ino-chan. Maybe the Elder Council has business?” he guessed. Tsuboro leaned in slightly, greasy black dreadlocks swaying with his movement as he did.
“I learned a while ago that back before the Second Founding Kiba and Hinata had been forced to kill two ANBU, while they were rogue.” he said in his now hushed raspy voice. Usually he didn’t gossip but this seemed relevant enough to share.
“Whatever it is, ANBU don’t make social calls.” Shikamaru said, devising over thirty stratagems of assassinating the ANBU leader purely out of boredom. How troublesome, that they interrupt the party. Chouji grunted in assent, watching the group quietly.

Minoruko and Satoroshi slowly made their way along the stained wooden balcony, closer to the armoured Ninja who had entered their compound. However boring today had been, getting this close to ANBU was totally worth it. They stopped near the balcony’s front right corner, Minoruko in front as both of the young Academy students gripped the spotty iron bars in front of them and tried to listen into the conversation.

“Inuzuka Kiba?” the leader of the masked operatives asked, a deep male voice emanating from a mask painted in the likeness of a smirking monkey, with long silver spikes looming over the top as always: Kakashi. It was reassuring that someone as strong and as capable as Kakashi had graciously accepted to head the Kamigakure ANBU all those years ago, but when he had his armour and mask on he ceased to be someone you addressed by name, or attempted to engage in polite conversation. Not that he was the most receptive audience at the best of times. All the ANBU wore their full gear: black body suit with full chest, forearm and shin armour minus upper arm, revealing the ANBU tattoo, and masks depicting an animal, most sad or angry. Ninjato were strapped on their back over the armour, the short swords built for slashing and enclosed combat such as hallways in easy reach at all times. A general aura depicting expectation of immediate and complete cooperation mixed with violent tendencies resting on a hair trigger followed the ANBU around, warning the perceptive what to expect from these, the blunt instruments of Kamigakure. Kiba and Hinata both were uneasy around ANBU. They had been forced to kill two during their days as Rogue Ninja. This group would know that, and ANBU never forgive. Even now the others remained silent, staring through the faces of frowning animal masks at the couple standing before them with their great white dog.

“I am Inuzuka Kiba.” The blue fanged Ninja stated, waiting for the purpose of their visit. Hinata stood close by him and looked behind the silver haired spokesperson. There were at least five of them, and they had some others in the darkness with them too, not wearing armour or masks.
“Two envoys from the Village Hidden in Clouds are here to speak with you.” With that Kakashi motioned for three silhouette figures to step forward from the street’s darkness and into the compound, ANBU dragging two of them forward roughly, a hand on either shoulder.
Kiba was aghast. “To speak with me? What for?! I’ve never even been to that country!” The squad of masked Ninja stared impassively at him as he looked down at his wife. Hinata trembled slightly until Kiba held her reassuringly around her shoulders for a moment. She had almost been kidnapped by Ninja from the Country of Lightning when she was very young, the ordeal still traumatising even now. Kiba knew this and held her for a moment more before letting her go, still shocked at this truly random turn of events.
“They asked for an audience with the leader of the Inuzuka clan specifically. Know that this entire conversation will be reported, word for word, to our superiors.” Kakashi stated in a harshly serious tone as the figures were dragged or walked through the emblazoned gates, everyone within the gray, glass capped walls except for two ANBU operatives who stationed themselves out in the shadows of the street in case the prisoners made any attempt to escape. Two Ninja dressed in green envoy robes with the symbol of Kumogakure emblazoned on the breast in gold were pushed in front of Kiba and Hinata, the ANBU ready to fall on the pair at the slightest hint of treachery with deadly force. The middle aged male on the left wore his forehead protector, emblazoned with the cloud symbol of his village, on his bicep and had graying hair slicked back to hide a balding spot. He held a small scroll in one hand. The other envoy was a younger female, possibly twenty five, with her reflector made into a bandanna which covered her short, pixy-like blonde hair. She wore thick glasses but still looked around confused, like her partner did due to the Jutsu the third figure had used on the pair. Hinata’s stomach turned to ice as she recognised the Genjutsu user, a thunderclap echoing dully through the mountain as their eyes met.
“Hello, Yuriko-san…” she said gently, not having spoken to her for nearly eight years.

Yuriko had indeed become an unattainable beauty over the years, which seemed almost a sinful waste as she had chosen a life of celibacy after Shino’s death, dedicating herself to the Ninja art. Her twin brown ponytails shined over her black mid-sleeve tee shirt, the ties keeping them together yet apart equally black. Continuing the theme black conscript pants, crisscrossed with jagged silver lines resembling the pattern of broken obsidian tiles bloused over her jet Ninja tabi and were held up with a darkened leather belt, which held on her darkened kunai pouches and scroll holsters. The tipless gloves had the fingers rolled back to the first knuckle, revealing immaculate nails which she had coloured a dull silver. As she stared at her two most hated people on Earth with her usually soft eyes, now as cold as the frozen peak of Kozu above, she suppressed the urge to attack them with her Genjutsu. Kakashi was watching. And the ANBU had been asking for her help a lot these days. Maybe they would ask her to join soon. But not if she let her emotions get the best of her this easily.

“Inuzukas.” Yuriko said in a borderline insulting tone, her voice as icy as her expression. Turning away from the two she looked at Kakashi, who nodded underneath his monkey mask. Forming the dispelling seal she removed the two envoys from the Pitch Black Midnight Jutsu, which had been used on them before sunrise that morning three villages away before their escort here. The Jutsu made the affected person’s vision to be shrouded with an impenetrable sheet of darkness, forcing them to fight without the use of sight. Today it had been useful in hiding the layout of Kamigakure from these two, even though they claimed to be on business not related to their Ninja Village. It had been made inescapably clear that any attempt to dispel the Jutsu or record their journey would result in immediate death by the ANBU who surrounded them at all times, two of whom dragged their sightless captives along behind them. No doubt they already knew this was Kozu Mountain, but because of this extra precaution they had not learned anything of the city’s layout nor the existence of the wastes, and they remained intact, ready to deliver their message as ordered.

The elder man, after blinking and rubbing his closed eyes with his fingertips, looked at the pair ahead of him. “You are the speakers of the Inuzuka clan?”
Hinata linked her forest green sleeved arm with Kiba’s jacketed one, resting her free hand on his upper arm gently, drawing his strength. Neither knew what this was about but they were prepared for anything. Akamaru stood next to Kiba’s black jeans attentitively, his shaggy white tail wagging slowly while he summed up the situation. He whined once, disguised as a yawn. Both Kiba and Hinata knew he was prepared to attack, Hinata having learned how to understand Akamaru over the years with her husband’s help. Either one could communicate with him now, a useful advantage in the field.
“We are the Inuzuka clan.” Kiba replied in a serious tone, the words carrying through the still air and out of the compound.
At this the young woman leaned to her friend, a nearby ANBU reaching toward his sword as a precaution.
“Our records state that the Inuzuka had red fangs on their cheeks, not blue.” She adjusted her glasses as she rechecked her file quickly, confirming what had been said.
“It has changed.” Kiba grew impatient with these two unwelcome guests. “Get to the point.”
“Of course, so sorry…” the male said before bowing slightly and clasping his hands in apology, the young female envoy doing the same before they rose. As he spoke she quickly corrected the file with a silver ballpoint pen, adjusting her glasses as more thunder rolled outside in the wilderness.
“We are envoys for the Dog-Nin Master Tournament, a tournament which is held every twenty years and attracts the greatest Dog-Ninja from across the known world to compete for fame, money and eternal glory. It is our duty to inform you that the Inuzuka clan has been issued a formal invitation to compete in the tournament in one month’s time, taking place in the south of our country, the Land of Lightning.” At this he offered the small scroll to Kiba with an outstretched hand, waiting for him to accept.

Everything changed at that moment. Kiba’s pulse raced as he looked at the white paper. This is it! This is the answer, the chance I have prayed for! If I win I will be able to broker breeding rights with Akamaru and take a share of the pups as would be my right! The other clans would BEG for the chance to breed into my champion kennel! Casually he looked over at Hinata, just as elated at this fortuitous turn of events as he was but masking it coolly. Surely this was a sign that it was the karma of the Inuzuka to continue as Dog-Nin. Provided they were able to win, of course…

Kiba stood up tall and spoke with as much of an authoritative voice as he could manage, his friends and children looking onward in shocked silence as he took the scroll.
“The Inuzuka clan will accept your invitation, and grace your competition with our unparalleled skill.” Damn, overdid it a little. Hinata stifled a laugh deftly, a remnant on the smile still on her lips.

Yuriko balled her fists at their fortune, wishing to be gone from this place, these people… she saw Tsuboro in the background, leaning against the compound’s steel decorated boundary wall. At least there was someone here who she liked. He waved to her silently, she returning the greeting with a nod.

“Excellent. May I enquire how many teams the Inuzuka clan will be entering?” the male envoy asked, readying his calligraphy brush to write the details into the official register.
“Just myself and Akamaru here.” Kiba said falteringly after a moment, suddenly feeling underpowered. The envoy raised an eyebrow in slight surprise as he entered the data quickly, his female counterpart quickly judging Akamaru as he stood next to Kiba, staring at the ANBU outside the gate with attentively listening ears pricked. A large Nin-dog. Healthy, maybe twelve years old. Still young. Maybe he isn’t as suicidal as we’re thinking…
“Interesting. But not all that surprising.” The male said before folding the papers and storing them in his loose green sleeves as thunder sounded again, the storm intensifying in strength outside, almost tempest-like. The deluge continued to pour through the cavern’s roof, crashing down in the near-black wastes with incredible force. No light followed the water in, aside from the luminescence of the lightning strikes which plotted lines across the gap.

Something nagged at Hinata. Leaning forward she addressed the female, who glanced up at her through the thick rimmed glasses as she spoke, silver pen in one hand.
“So sorry to ask, but why us? Why are we receiving an invitation specifically?” Kiba looked at his wife momentarily and then shifted his attention to the woman across from her. That was a good question. The robe clad messenger looked almost surprised at the query, the stone below her and her ANBU guard glowing slightly with the light of the braziers.
“Why, to ensure that the line of Inuzuka Kojiro is able to participate!” she answered as if it were as obvious as the land and the sky itself.
At the mention of that name Kiba and Akamaru perked up slightly, Kiba’s eyes growing colder, intense, edged with hatred.
“What about him? What does he have to do with this?” he asked in a reserved voice. Hinata looked across at the messengers, ready to restrain her husband if he attacked after learning the answer. Whenever someone spoke of Kiba’s father bad things happened. The middle aged man spoke in what could have been thought of as concern, the brazier light from within the compound walls shining in his eyes gently.
“He never told you? Why, he was the winner of the Tournament almost twenty years ago, using only one dog as you are yourself!”
Kiba’s teeth clenched in anger at the pair of envoy’s comments. So. It was by the grace of his bastard father that he had been invited to compete in this prestigious event. A crushing fist tightened around the scroll, and a fraction of a second before he tore it to shreds and sent the two home in bloody ruins of broken bone his reasoning stayed his hand. Sighing he closed his eyes and attempted to calm himself. No matter my feelings towards him, I have to do this for the good of the clan Inuzuka. My clan Inuzuka.
“I see…” Kiba said seethingly, still angry after he opened his eyes despite his best efforts at self-placation. The ANBU and Yuriko saw his barely contained rage, all looking directly at the spiky haired man as they tried to discern the cause of his anger. Only Hinata and Kakashi knew the answer. Cautiously the blonde envoy looked away and stopped talking, not wishing to incur his ire. Unfortunately the subtle hints and warning signs were lost on the older envoy, continuing on oblivious of the situation he and his protégé were now standing in the center circle of, but a final slip up from destruction.
“Yes indeed. He brought much honour to your clan. You see, I saw his fight twenty years ago and it was truly an awesome spectacle to behold, one of the greatest events I have ever borne witness to. If he is here I would request an audience with him, to speak with such a fine Ninja.” He smiled meekly and awaited a response. The ANBU operatives continued to watch the spectacle in front of them in interest. Everyone in the compound was silent and watched on with baited breath, the thundering heavens the only party voicing their opinion in the uncomfortable silence.

Kiba’s saw red as his rage boiled over. The man in front of him may as well have told him that he tortured and killed his family at the demise of Konoha. The messenger’s eyes widened as the world around them started to grow darker, colder, almost reaching absolute darkness except for the three of them and a slight glow from the stone beneath them, as if they had been cordoned from the rest of the world with an unsettling black veil. But it was when he looked at Kiba and Hinata his veins ran cold. The entrant’s tattoos had drained of all colour, becoming as black and consuming as the soul of Kamigakure itself. And his eyes… Kiba’s eyes had turned into a vision of primal rage, of some diamond pupilled bloodlusting beast entrapping his prey. The gigantic dog next to him looked ready to join the kill and devour the corpse, his mouth almost frowning in disapproval at this newcomer with hackles raised and tail upward and still in anger. His wife, she clasped his arm dearly as if he was leading her across a crowded soiree, mistress to some unholy murderous beast. The green robed man, realising that he had caused a grave offence, could only gasp in fear as the world became disjointed inside the claustrophobic black sphere surrounding the four. The movements of those across from him were jerky and unnatural like badly maintained puppets. Kiba addressed him in a disquietingly calm voice, the fangs in his mouth sharp enough to tear the envoy’s throat out.
“Thank you for the invitation. Please leave.” he said simply, Hinata’s face impassive at what could be his gruesome death.
With that, the world returned to normal, what dim light existed in the yard brightening the compound walls and the house’s decking once more. Kiba’s face became what it always was, albeit annoyed as if an unwanted guest couldn’t take a hint. The tattoos were their elegant sapphire blue once more and his eyes were softer and again capable of happy emotions. Kumogakure’s envoy had shrunk back in fear. What had happened? Why hadn’t anyone else reacted to this? The slowly balding envoy bowed shakily, stammering as he stepped back out the gate, the ANBU following them out, still ready to kill at any sign of deceit.

Kakashi quickly leaned in to Yuriko, concerned about the chakra he had just felt emanating from the couple and their dog.
“What was that?” he asked quickly. Yuriko still watched the two with narrowed eyes, recounting what she had seen softly, unable to comprehend how either one could know a Genjutsu technique she couldn’t read.
“An opaque chakra dome grew around the three, encompassing the victim until he was alone with the user or users and forcing him to see whatever made him afraid like that. Even I with my considerable Genjutsu knowledge couldn’t see into the Jutsu, the veil was so thick. Not only that but I didn’t witness either one of them perform the seals. Whichever one did, they are incredibly fast.” With that she was silent, still looking unhappily at the bastard couple who dominated her white hot hatred. Kakashi grunted, glancing at the pair for a moment longer as the female envoy exited out the compound gates emblazoned with the blue Inuzuka symbols after her friend, green sleeves and ANBU guard flowing after her, official documents and files stowed away in the folds of her attire discreetly in anticipation of this quick exit. Everyone had sensed that something had occurred, either through feeling the strong chakra or because envoys don’t habitually excuse themselves as if their life depended upon it for no reason. But none had been able to see the inside of the bubble apart from its occupants, which sat right with none.

It never occurred to any aside from Kakashi that the Jutsu this powerful had been activated without seals. Or that both Kiba and Hinata were unaware of what had taken place at all.

Hatake Kakashi narrowed his eyes in grim recollection, the light of the brazier brightening his armour and mask gently. This was a form of Death Jutsu. One which was akin to another he had felt over twenty years ago. Kojiro. Without looking around at his men Kakashi ordered Yuriko to perform her Pitch Black Midnight Jutsu on them again before they were to be taken into the wilderness outside and dumped. As his ANBU squad marched off down the shadowy stone streets of Kamigakure, their violent aura leaving with them, Kakashi approached the couple, concluding their business.
“Thank you for your co-operation. You will likely be summoned within the next few days by the Elder Council to discuss your acceptance of the invitation. Until then you may not take any holidays or accept any missions outside of Kamigakure. That is all.” With that he disappeared in a flash, off over the rooftops and leaving the party on their own.

Kiba and Hinata stood frozen for a long moment before Minoruko and Satoroshi approached along the illuminated wooden balcony decking and across the small span of stone to join them, unsure what had just occurred and unaware that this may be one of the defining moments of their clan. As Minoruko asked about the competition, the others walked slowly across the lifeless, sterile yard to congratulate the family on its invitation. Just being invited to such an event was impressive in itself, and provided they did alright in the competition it would bring prestige both to their clan and to Kamigakure Ninja as a whole. None brought up the Jutsu directly. It was a time of celebration now, not a time for an inquisition. But all were unsettled by such a Jutsu’s use, as if the married couple had embodied some of Kamigakure’s heart directly.


*****

As he ran over the filthy concrete slab rooftops of Kamigakure’s black and gray western district he was lost in thought, steering unconsciously towards the bar Iruka and his date were drinking at, his face hidden by the smirking monkey mask shielded from the rush of air as he leapt between the buildings. Lightning crashes muffled by the sheltering mountain accompanied the ageing Ninja as he picked up the pace, arms trailing behind him as he sprinted along awnings and over shops and gambling dens, all immersed in shadow as always. It had begun today, and Iruka had to know. Kiba had exhibited the first sign. And because Hinata had not recoiled in horror from being so close to the Jutsu, somehow she must have been desensitised to it unconsciously, either by being in his presence for so long or from being intimate with him. Which meant that maybe she was infected too. Would she have to be eliminated for the good of the village too if the time came? And her children?

Kakashi sighed underneath the mask, feeling sick from the prospect as he approached his destination. Iruka, I hope you can do what is necessary if the time comes. I am now certain it will.

**********
Chapter end notes: Well, there it is. Sorry about not posting this chapter for a few weeks but I have been busy with a new job, and that coupled with my unwillingness to release work which isn't up to my usual standard and it has taken this long. Thanks for understanding, and if you enjoyed it, or have a critique please leave a reply :D Cheers!