TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [645]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [862]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [290]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [124]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11986
Series: 261
Stories: 5877
Chapters: 25362
Word count: 47451233
Authors: 2161
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Niri6q
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


A Flash to Brighten Her World by yellowflash24

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: I do not own the settings or characters to this, just the plot.

OK, I hope that was a good disclaimer.
The darkness slowly consumed Anko’s mind, and the pain. It seemed as though she had spent days in this dark room, and the place where Orochimaru-sama had bit her was burning like a raging fire. It was all she could do to keep from screaming out anymore. She thought her scream had forever left her after the first hour. In a way, her brain had numbed her entire body, as it was wracked by bouts of pain.

She hadn’t been able to stand for….she didn’t know how long. She could see nothing but the blackness that had even crept into the corners of her mind, hear nothing but her own screams, and imagine nothing but a brave ninja warrior coming to save her, handsome and strong. Scooping her up in his arms and carrying her gently away from this place. How she longed to leave this lying position, how she longed to no longer be paralyzed here.

It seems her sensei had abandoned her. She hadn’t heard anyone come into this part of Orochimaru’s hideout since he locked her away in here, in the dark. Almost all her hope had gone.

But then…..light….a piercing ray of hope cracked its way into the featureless void that the dark had provided for Anko, and she felt her heart get hundreds of pounds lighter. Someone had found her. She raised her head as much as she could, before she found out she could barely move it at all, to see if she cold get a good look at who was coming in the room. Instead, all she heard were voices.

“Lord Hokage, look at this. It’s a little girl.” A young, male voice said, apparently shocked.

She heard footsteps, slowly approaching. They were right to be cautious here. Did I just hear Hokage? She shook her head, she must be hallucinating. She didn’t seem to be hallucinating when strong arms picked her up and appeared to be almost cradling her. She tried to move her arm, but her nerves were not responding.

“What’s wrong with her, Lord Hokage?” The same young voice asked.

“Orochimaru’s doing. It’s obvious. This mark…”

The finger of the man, who was carrying her, brushed across her neck and came in contact with the tender, burning spot where her sensei had bit her. At that moment, a scream, high and piercing, came from her lips and her nerves came alive. She flailed like there was no tomorrow in the man’s arms, but to no avail. Tears came and she kept screaming.

Whoever this was, she didn’t know them, and that means she by no means trusted them. Her eyelids seemed to be glued shut, and even when she felt the warmth of sunlight hit them, she still did not cease her screams. It was only when she felt a sharp pain on the top of her head that she stopped, and then came more blackness.

When Anko awoke, she winced at the sun pouring into her eyes from a window next to her. She appeared to be lying on a soft surface, somewhere. She almost cried out in joy, if she hadn’t been so tired. Anywhere except that room…anywhere.

Once her eyes got adapted to the light around her, she could see her surroundings clearly. She was in a hospital, or at least it looked like one. Her bed was more than big enough, so she rolled around a little bit, and stretched out her aching muscles. She was weak though, weaker than she had ever felt. She took in the room around her. It was small, containing only her bed, a white dresser, and a counter with a sink and cabinets above, all white. How plain. At least I’m not back in the dark.

She shivered and buried her head in her pillows. She lay there for a few moments, stretching out her legs. The fish nets had been removed, she just realized, and so had the rest of her clothes. Once she took this in mind, she covered herself up hastily with a blanket. It was soft against her bare skin, and warm. Sleep almost immediately enveloped her and ended her thoughts.

Well, that was quick. She’s too tired to even find out where she is. Yondaime thought to himself as he appeared out of nowhere to the girl’s bedside. Picking his sealed kunai up from the floor, he adjusted his favorite cloak, the white with the red markings on the back, so it was comfortable, and then started examining the mark on the girl’s neck.

He was sure that if he did this while she was awake she wouldn’t let him, especially when she didn’t have any clothes on. What the mark was, he did not know exactly, nor did Sarutobi, but he was going to find out. It had become just a plain black mark overnight, as it was no longer the color of flame. It’s obvious that it causes her pain. She screamed when I touched it back in the sewer.

His thoughts were interrupted as Sarutobi entered the room with a young Asuma Sarutobi and an older Sakumo Hatake. All three sets of eyes flickered immediately to the girl, particularly the mark on her neck.

“Have you reached any conclusions yet?” Sarutobi asked, scratching the white stubble on his chin.

“Well, as of now, nothing. I do know that it hurts her. When I touched it back in the sewer, she screamed like someone was cutting her open.” Yondaime said, rubbing the mark gently.

“Hm, it is obviously the work of Orochimaru. From what we’ve seen, it is probably a hindrance, since we did find nine other children around the hideout, which had been branded with the same mark. They were all….dead.” Sarutobi said.

“Dead? Were they around her age?” Yondaime asked, eyes widening in surprise.

“Yes, just about around her age.” Sarutobi said sadly. “It is one of Orochimaru’s experiments without a doubt. This, I did not expect, even from him, but it is so. She is the only survivor, and we will raise her here. Whose care do you want to place her in?”

“She can stay with me. I will take care of her. I’ve needed an apprentice for a long time. Asuma would have done well, but it appears you’ve taken him from me 3rd.” Yondaime said, smiling and patting young Asuma on the shoulder, which made Sarutobi chuckle.

“Lord Hokage, I must speak to you.” Sakumo said once Sarutobi and Asuma were out the door.

“What do you need Sakumo?” Yondaime asked.

“I was wondering if you could also have Kakashi as an apprentice. He needs this training. He’s already a Chuunin, but I feel as though you can exploit his full potential.” Sakumo explained, eyes drifting towards the sleeping girl on the bed.

“I’m sorry Sakumo, but the only reason I chose this girl is because she’s special. Kakashi is indeed an advanced student, but picking him out of a crop of other worthy students would show favoritism, and that is something I cannot do. This girl was never part of our Shinobi system. It is best if I show her things and train her, instead of putting her in a school environment. You understand, right?” Yondaime said, looking straight at Sakumo.

Sakumo nodded, and directed another glance towards the girl. He then said farewell to Yondaime and left the room. He’s a good man, and Kakashi is a good kid, but it can’t be done. Yondaime thought, looking at the mark on the girl’s neck. She is special after all. She has potential. That is clearer than a giant bonfire in the night.

It took him awhile to notice Jiraiya leaning against the doorway that Sakumo and the other two walked out of. He was looking at the girl, and the mark, and munching on an apple.

“Well, I guess everyone is walking in on me today.” Yondaime said, walking over to Jiraiya and smiling.

“So where’d you find the little girl?” Jiraiya asked with his mouth full.

“We discovered her after we drove away Orochimaru. She’s going to become my apprentice. I’ve decided I’ll train her to become Hokage.” Yondaime said, casting a glance at the girl, who had now rolled over and was breathing hard, and yelping in her sleep.

“Must be a bad dream eh? What makes you think she’ll grow to love this village and the people in it as you have?” Jiraiya asked.

Yondaime hated it when his old sensei asked questions like that.

“That’s a chance I’ll have to take.” He said, grabbing the apple from his sensei and taking a bite out of it.

“Yes……..yes it is.” Jiraiya said, taking the apple back and gnawing at it.

Yondaime winked at his sensei and disappeared, leaving Jiraiya to chuckle and think. He hasn’t changed much since he was a little squirt, just in ability. This girl…she is special. Not as special as he was when he was a student, but very special. Now, where’s the damn women’s bathhouse in this place?

Yondaime reappeared right next to the Ichiraku Ramen Shop. His special kunai he always kept in this spot right beneath his feet. He loved ramen and came here almost every day to eat it. He didn’t like eating it in his private quarters, like the past Hokage did. He liked to come and talk to the people here, and hear what was going on in town, so they could relate to him and he could help them at times.

He liked talking to the kids more than anything else. He had always wanted kids of his own, but if he got killed on a mission...

Sitting down, he ordered ramen with chunks of honey ham in it. That was his favorite, and after this last mission, he needed something to lighten his mood.

When he came here, he was soothed. He didn’t have to think about missions, or enormous responsibility, or anything like that. He could just sit and be with his people, and talk to them. The man on his right turned to him and shook his hand, telling him his name amongst other things. I think I should know everyone’s name by now, if I’m not mistaken, at least all the Shinobi.

“There was a big racket under the sewer, like some kind of earthquake was going on or something, and then after a while, a bunch of ninja are being carried through the streets, and everyone is hustling around getting things done. It was all stressful. Lord Hokage, did you guys fight a war under there or something?” The man sitting next to him asked.

“In a way...but you guys don’t have to worry about anything now. It’s all taken care of, one hundred percent OK! I want to know what you people are up to around here.” Yondaime said, sipping up another noodle off of his chopsticks and giving the man his best smile.

The man brightened and looked at him with appreciation. He talked about his son, and how much he wanted to be like “Konoha’s Yellow Flash” which made Yondaime smile. He then talked about his daughter, and how handsome she thought the Yellow Flash was, which made Yondaime laugh over his ramen.

“Sounds like you have a great family my good man. I’d love to meet them, but I’m afraid I’ve been here longer than I’m supposed to. I have very important things to look into for this village.” Yondaime said, clapping the man on the shoulder.

“Lord Hokage, before you go...can you...can you come and meet my son? He wants to meet you so very badly.” The man asked.

“Well, I suppose I have time, take me to him. I’d like to meet the little squirt as well.” Yondaime said, following the man.

The man and his family lived right across the street from the ramen shop, and the boy happened to be standing outside. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw Yondaime, and he rushed forward and began speaking hurriedly.

“Lord Hokage, I’m going to be like you. I’m going to grow up and become Hokage, and then I everyone will look up to me, and love me. I’m going to be the greatest ninja ever and show everyone how powerful and wise I am! Isn’t that awesome Lord Hokage?” The kid yelled, causing Yondaime to smile.

“Well, you have a long way to go. Becoming Hokage isn’t easy. You have many people to protect and lots of responsibility.” Yondaime explained.

“Protect...responsibility? What do you mean?” The boy asked, scratching his black hair. It was matted down with sweat, probably from playing all day, and his auburn eyes sparkled with excitement at meeting Yondaime.

“Well...don’t you have anyone you love? Anyone that is precious to you?” Yondaime asked, adjusting his cloak again.

“Well, yeah. I love my mom, and my dad, and as much as she annoys me, my little sister.” The boy said, smiling smugly.

“See what I mean? You must become strong, because then, you can protect the ones you love.”

“Well...who’s precious to you Lord Hokage? Who do you love?” The boy asked, looking questioningly at him with those mesmerizing auburn eyes.

“Everyone in this village of course! I became Hokage because I love this village and want to protect it, and that, my boy, is when someone can truly become strong. When they want to protect something they love, and will give their life to defend it, that is the true meaning of inner strength.” Yondaime explained, kneeling down and putting both hands on the boy’s shoulders. “When you can protect someone close to you, and keep them from being harmed in a dangerous situation, there is no better feeling in the world. Sometimes people have to make sacrifices, but those sacrifices only make you stronger, and keep your loved ones out of danger.”

“Wow...I understand now. Thank you Lord Hokage.” The boy said excitedly.

From the corner of his eye, he could see that the boy’s father was smiling a huge smile. He touched Yondaime’s shoulder and mouthed a sincere thank you. Yondaime nodded, and turned back to the boy and gave him a wink.

“Can you do that for me? And what’s your name?” Yondaime asked.

“It’s Iruka, and yeah, I’ll never let any of my loved ones get hurt, so I can become strong!” Iruka said, pumping his fist.

“Well Iruka, thinking like that is what allows you to become Hokage, and I think you have it in you.” Yondaime said, patting the boy’s shoulders and giving him a big smile.

“Really? You think I can become Hokage like you?” Iruka wondered.

“Well of course you can. Now, excuse me, I have to be going now. There are some important things I have to attend to. I’ll see you guys later, and Iruka...” Yondaime said, standing up and pointing at the boy. “Remember what I said tonight, and you’ll be happy in life.”

With that, Yondaime disappeared into thin air, and left Iruka and his father standing there in the fresh night air, amazed.