TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Drifting Spirit by Angel Crack

[Reviews - 3]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer - I do not own Naruto, I do not make any money off this, please don’t sue, I have no money to give if you do.....
"text" = Speech
'text' = Thoughts
_____ = Scene Change
(text) = Added Comments

Warnings - A little OOC-ish, Lime, Sasu/Naru, Shounen Ai

-Drifting Spirit-

Chapter 1- An Old Relic?

Within the hidden leaf village there lingered a young blond browsing a library on his tiptoes. The sun just began to set, but you would never tell by looking at it the sky overhead was gray and gloomy, like it had been for a week before that, but it was the season for rain. Shit, why do you think everything is so green in Konoha? There was one season in all the year where it rained every day. If you were here during those two months of the rain season, you would swear that you not in the fire country at all, but in rain.

Looking on one of the top shelves, in the fiction section, an old book caught Naruto's eye. Blowing on the book, dust flew everywhere. Coughing and trying to get the dust out of his lungs, he stared at the book in awe. The thick book was tiny in his hand, most of it was a dark shade of brown, some area's almost black. The book had certainly been around, the pages were tattered and weather beaten.

He looked for a date on the back of the book, or maybe even a name. But he felt something he didn't notice, it just suddenly appeared under his fingers, he quickly turned the book back around. A red cross was burned into the cover, the pattern on it was beautiful. It swirled around so smooth, yet the pattern was jagged. The cross was a bright red, unlike the rest of the book, 'I don’t remember seeing it when I pulled the book off the shelf.' He stared at the book cover for a few minutes, a smile rising on his face, 'I’m just thinking too much.'

Books, one of his main joys in life. They were a great way to learn while escaping reality. Life was easy to forget when you have a bowl of hot ramen, and a great book in front of you. It didn’t matter what type of book it was, he would read it. Naruto found it funny how something he hated so much three years ago, he wouldn’t be able to live without now.

He opened the book and just by the smell he could tell it was old. He handled it so carefully, afraid he would rip or chip pages. Naruto encountered, read and studied a lot of books within the past three years, but he never saw such delicate hand-writing, even the ink was something he had never seen before. He read a few lines, the way it was written was extremely difficult, something he would have to sit down for hours and figure out.

Naruto looked around to see that no one was near, he quickly stuffed the book in his bag.
"I'll have to read you later," he said with a grin and lifted it onto his shoulders.

The hyper active blonde continued to search the top shelves for a book similar to the one he *barrowed* but couldn’t find one. He went to the next bookshelf and looked there. There were tons of old books, but not one anywhere similar to the one in his bag with the red cross on the cover.

Thick black clouds gathered in the sky, covering the lighter ones and making the library go three shades darker. Lightning struck outside, indicating a storm was on the way, but Naruto ignored it. There had to be a book in this library that was somewhat close to the one in his bag. But his search was soon becoming a waste of time. 'No I have to find one!' He had no idea why he had this determination all of a sudden, but he always went with it. So enthralled in looking for a second book, he didn’t notice the ebony eyes and matching hair walking up behind him.

Sasuke smirked and Naruto turned around, but was suddenly pushed so his back was pressed against the bookshelf.
"Good afternoon, dobe," Sasuke said, pushing Naruto farther into the bookshelf, making books fall onto the opposite side of the shelf.
Naruto looked up and saw the very eyes he wish he would never have to see again.
"Not now Sasuke," he muttered with irritation.

But before he could say anything else, sweet lips overtook his own. The same lips that his body refused to pull away from, the same sweet lips that spat out bitter, harsh words. Once again their mouths mingled and their separate tastes became one, how many times? 'How many times does this have to happen?'

But this was something that he secretly longed for all of his life. Unlike Uchiha Sasuke, he had never been touched, unless if it was to get his ass beat. He never before felt such intense feelings and longing for something so fair, until recently. Sasuke saw the glazed look, the flustered cheeks and heavy breathing Naruto was demonstrating and smirked. He firmly pressed his knee in-between Naruto's legs, making Naruto arch his back and thrust his body forward.

Lightly moaning, pleasure shot all up and down Naruto's body like pure lightning. But all the while, one thing was running through his mind, 'what are you doing? Run away!' But like every other time, his body would not react to his mind, he was left standing helpless. He hated it, he hated Sasuke and he hated being weak. Black eyes piercing into him like cold steel daggers. Naruto clenched his fists and closed his eyes tightly. 'Why?'

Sasuke leaned in and lightly kissed the side of the dobe's neck, tilting his head slightly, "What's wrong moron? Not going to scream or yell?" He asked playfully and bit the blonde’s neck, hard enough to hurt, but not quite hard enough to draw blood, "going to stay silent?"
Naruto could feel Sasuke's breath running over his ear, sending goose bumps run down his spine and up his arms.

Naruto flinched, "that's cause we are in a library, stupid bastard."
The Uchiha looked up at Naruto with those red eyes.
"Good," he murmured in Naruto's neck, putting more pressure between them, making sure to move his leg slightly in-between Naruto's legs in attempt to make him go crazy.

The flustered blond continued to push Sasuke away, "stop, please..." Naruto whispered.
"What was that?" Sasuke asked with venom in his voice, moving his hands up the orange shirt.
"This needs to come off," he demanded and began to lift it up over Naruto's head.
"No!" Naruto's hands immediately went to his shirt to pull it down. "No Sasuke, not here."

"Why not?" Sasuke glared into pleading blue eyes.
"Because this is the library!" Naruto whispered, but never took his glare off the Uchiha.
Sasuke let a small smile raise up on his lips, "you need to remember, you don’t say when and where," he said before taking in Naruto's lips, bruising and forceful, Sasuke was not happy.

Backing away just enough so he could look Naruto in the eyes he whispered, "Besides, you don’t have the control to stop me."
That was it, 'who the fuck does he think he is?' "You want to bet?" Naruto said with determination, and spat in Sasuke's face, smiling.
Sasuke saw it coming and moved in time, but he backhanded Naruto, "your so slow."

A red mark swelled up on the side of the blonde’s face. But within moments it was gone, but so was his shirt. There Naruto was, in the library, with this bastard and he had no shirt on. Sasuke backed up and admired the golden-haired boy with delight.
'Why does he always have to stare at me like that?' Naruto thought, still glaring.

Within a second, Sasuke had Naruto pinned to the floor, one hand was lightly rubbing his right nipple, while taking the other one into his mouth. Sasuke was drowning in Naruto's everything, his sent, his taste, his every being, it was heaven for him. While Naruto...well he really wanted nothing more then to get the hell out of there, but Sasuke's touch confused his senses.

Locking lips with Naruto again, Sasuke tugged on the zipper of Naruto's old orange pants...they were way to small for him, but fit him around the waist none the less. "Nnn" were Naruto's stifled cries.
Sasuke unlocked lips and held a playful smirk.

"See, you cant so anything, you know what I think dobe?" Sasuke grew into a light whisper, moving closer to Naruto's ear.
"Deep down, you don’t want me to stop, I think you enjoy this way to much. Could it be that perhaps you want this touch?" He ran a finger gently up Naruto's torso, and then back down. Swirling his fingers around Naruto's seal.
"I’ve never seen you try all that hard to get away from me."
'Yet you know you can. Shit, you could kill me in a blink of an eye...if you wanted to.'

Naruto frowned, in the back of his mind he knew Sasuke was right, he never really tried. When it came down to it, he could never bring himself to do it. Its hard to pull away from something that you never had your entire life. In a lot of ways he did enjoy it, but the problem wasn’t the Uchiha, it was how Sasuke came to him. Naruto knew that Sasuke had no real feelings for him, it was just a better way for the bastard to get off.

Sasuke finally got Naruto's pants un-zipped, he slowly crept his hands down Naruto's stomach and slightly under his boxers. Only lightly touching so as to make the bond go crazy, and crazy Naruto went. He gave in and let his mind be devoured by Sasuke's touch.
"Ah, so this must mean I’m right?" The raven haired boy asked, already knowing the answer.

Naruto said nothing, but Sasuke seemed pleased and let Naruto feel more.
He gently wrapped his hand around the head, "aahh! S-sasuke!"
Naruto pleaded for more, the boy was torturing him...like always. "I hate you," Naruto stated bluntly.
Somehow he knew it was true, a lot of him did hate Sasuke. He was a egotistical bastard and didn’t deserve respect from a flee.

"You don’t sound too convincing," Sasuke whispered before taking a small bite behind Naruto's ear.
"S-stop.." Naruto whimpered. He wasn’t really expecting Sasuke to stop, and for some reason he didn’t care, why even try anymore?
Sasuke moved lower and lower until he reached Naruto's pants.
"These are a bother." He simply stated and began to pull Naruto's old orange pants off.

Just then a young librarian came walking around the corner of some bookshelf. The books and papers she was holding were instantly dropped to the ground. Her dark brown eyes wide and full of disaprovement. "What the hell is going on here?" She demanded.
Naruto shot his head to the left. 'Damn it! I’m so screwed!'

Sasuke looked down and bit his lip. "Che!" He spat and got off the dobe to dust himself off and take his leave.
"What do you think you are doing to Uchiha-Sama?" She yelled, ready to kick the little demons ass for contaminating the soul survivor of the Uchiha clan, the Uchiha Prodigy.
"Answer me!" She screamed again.

Naruto said nothing, she glared at him the whole time he put his clothes back on. He put his hands above his head and stretched before the librarian took hold of his wrist. "Your coming with me," she demanded and noticed that the young Uchiha was taking his leave.
She turned to him and bowed, "I am so sorry for this whole mess Sasuke-kun."

Sasuke didn’t say a word, but kept his glare on her until he passed, turning the corner with no expression on his face. That was one thing Naruto always hated about Sasuke, he looked so lifeless. He was alive, but somehow he wasn’t.

Naruto noticed Sasuke was always like that, like his mind was detached from his body. He hated it, it gave him a deep feeling of sorrow. 'Here I am thinking too much again, and its about stupid things, like that bastard! I should be worrying more about...oh yeah,' Naruto thought, looking back up at the librarian who still had a tight grip on his wrist.

She was holding his wrist as tightly as she could, making sure he wouldn’t get away. But Naruto couldn’t tell, he could get out of it in two seconds and be out of there in no time. But he would eventually have to deal with it anyway, best to not make things worse. It was cruel how Sasuke would mess with people he considered 'below' him. Yet he was the only one who Sasuke would do 'that' to, well as far as Naruto could tell.

With everyone else, Sasuke would say bitter things. He could look at you and know what would make you tick. 'I suppose he could be a lot more cruel,' Naruto thought, while letting himself be dragged to (know doubt) the person who owned and ran the library. He had been through this twice before, only it took place in different areas, this one just happened to be at the library.

The woman stopped at a door and knocked lightly before walking in. There was a older looking man sitting behind a small desk cluttered with papers and books. Naruto was somewhat amused at how many scrolls and papers covered the room, he never before saw so many in one room. There were tons of old worn books lining the bookshelves. It was a small room, it could have been lit better, but the old mans desk and all around that area was lit up very well. There seemed to be a lot of different magnifying glasses used for reading small print. It was a fascinating room.

The old man wore thick round glasses on the end of his nose, his white hair frizzled out from the sides of his head. He had very bushy eyebrows that curled a bit at the ends. He was a funny looking man, but he looked nice, Naruto had that going for him. The man looked like he carried great wisdom, maybe it was just his age. Naruto was used to old farts like Tsunade and Jiraiya, so he wasn’t in the least bit intimidated.

The young librarian bowed and began to tell everything she had seen (which wasn’t much, and some that never happened.) But Naruto wasn’t in the mood to argue with the witch, like the old man would believe him over her anyway. After she was done, they both looked at Naruto.

The old man cleared his thought. "What were you thinking while deciding to do such...inappropriate behavior in this library?"
"I didn’t do anything! That bastard-"
"Even so, I can not allow you to step foot in this library again. Just be happy I am not willing to take it farther," the old man gestured to the librarian and she left the room to escort the blond out.

Naruto didn’t say anything further and left without scene. Although he was extremely tempted to tell them all to go to hell, but decided not to, what would it prove? Nothing he could say would change the old farts mind anyway, nothing he could do would change the fact that he was no longer welcome there. 'Damn it! Why does this shit always happen? And that Sasuke bastard gets off scotch free?'

"Its all a bunch of crap I don’t want to deal with," he said to the dark road he was walking on, trying to ignore the staring people and whispers he pretends he never hears. Naruto looked up and smiled, "its not the end of the world."

He felt a bounce in his step and it soon turned into a run. There were two more libraries and five book stores in Konoha he could still visit. But he was more anxious to get back to apartment and take a closer look at the book he 'borrowed' from the library. It was still early and he had all day, he wasn’t going to let it get ruined by the bastard.

_____


Back in another part of town Sasuke cursed himself, why was it that every time he would see the idiot, his whole body would go haywire, he would just have to do something about it. 'Shit, its not like the dobe doesn’t enjoy it,' Sasuke thought, he knew the blond did. No matter how many times he says "no" or "stop" Sasuke could see though it, deep in Naruto's eyes there sat a deep desire and longing.

But all that did was make him want the dobe even more. When an Uchiha decided that he wants something he will always get it, the blond was no exception. But the problem was the hate between them. Naruto really did hate him, he could see it in his eyes behind all that lust and longing. 'He hates me with everything he's got....heh, that never stopped me before....So your willing to hurt the one you love to get what you want?......Yea that’s about it.' Sasuke would have Naruto one way or another, no one could change that....not even himself.

There was nothing stopping him, except for his feelings afterward. He would always feel this heavy guilt, something he was not used to at all. But it would pass after a day until he would see the blond again, shit he had to, they were on the same team. That was another problem, there was no way he could get away from Naruto. This time he saw Naruto in the library and his body went haywire, like it does, no fail, every time he would see him. And now here he was feeling guilty again.

'Why does my heart race every time I see that stupid idiot? Every time I see him its like the first time and every time he is more beautiful. I just cant help but go in there and have a taste.' It was intoxicating to have someone who doesn’t treat you like some Uchiha Prodigy.

As far as Sasuke was concerned Itachi is, and will always be, the Uchiha Prodigy. There wasn’t anything that any village elder could say to change that fact. 'I’m just some pathetic loser,' he thought while charging up another chidori and throwing it into a tree. Why couldn’t life be easier? Why did everything have to stand in the way of what he wanted in life. "Not like it matters, I will get it anyway," he said panting, glaring at his hand.

_____

Naruto swung his apartment door open. "Tadiema!" He yelled aloud and flung his book bag onto the small couch. He dug around a little and found his book with ease, marched into the kitchen, found a apple and headed off into his room.

He was quickly seated at his desk and opened the book. But Naruto found reading it was a lot harder then he thought, every five minutes he would have to look up words in the dictionary. By the time he got past one page, it already passed a hour. But it was a extremely fascinating book, he could tell right away that everything written in it was true. After the first few sentences he realized that the book was about past ninjas and all the trials they went through. It was definitely hand written. But every entry had the same hand style and strange ink.

It was very odd that the book was found in the fiction section. If the events in this book were true, then shouldn’t the book should have been in the non-fiction or history section. 'It was probably misplaced at some time or another...' He thought, turning the page.

He really didn’t care anyway, he was mostly amazed at the amount of jutsu's mentioned, he never heard of more then half of them. It made him more eager to read on, maybe he could learn a few and kick Sasuke's ass the next time they were to train. Not that Naruto had to try very hard to kick his ass, he just liked doing it in a variety of ways, just to get back at him, just to rub it in his face. Naruto smiled at his thoughts and turned the page.

A few lines down, Naruto began having a strong feeling of nostalgia. "I swear I have read this book before....or maybe wrote in it?"
He stared at the book for a long while, his hair was standing on end and every one of his senses increased 10 fold. His ears were booming with noise, he could taste the sweat in his mouth and smell this old relic that should have fallen to ash many years ago. For some reason, panic consumed him, tears began to fall from his eyes and all he could do was stare at the book in horror. But it wasn’t the book that was driving this fear into him, it was something else.

His thoughts came back to him for a flash, 'I need to get away....I need to get out!'
Naruto forced his body to move and darted out of the apartment, leaving the door wide open in his panic. He ran, knowing that he needed to get away from that book.

Naruto reached the edge of the Konoha forests. He sat under a tree and thought about what just happened back in his apartment. Most of him felt like a fool, like some five year old child afraid of some book. But it wasn’t just the book that drove that fear into him. Actually, thinking back on it now, it had nothing to do with that book. He had experienced this kind of fear before.

It was in that dark, dank place. That place where the gate stood, the very place Kyuubi was sealed. That stupid Jiraiya pushed him off into those cliffs and just before he was too late Naruto asked the great fox demon to lend him his power for a moment. The kitsune laughed and the young blond threatened the wise kitsune.

The fox demon agreed to lend Naruto some of his power and Naruto was engulfed in flames. While those flames were consuming him, fear struck his heart. But what was he afraid of? Death was something that did not enter his mind while he was engulfed in the kitsune's flame. All he could remember was the intense panic he was in.

Now he could remember what he was so scared of, it just came back to him while sitting in that little desk, as if the book triggered those thoughts. He shook his head to try and get rid of the thought, but it lingered not wanting to be forgotten this time.
"I need to talk to that old hag..." He said in a low, depressing tone.
He really did not want to go and talk to the old hag about this, she would be sure to tell Jiraiya who would tell Kakashi who would blabber about it to every one in the village and he will end up being more shunned and hated... 'What? They would just dispose of me...if it was just that simple. I wouldn’t have to deal with any hate if I’m disposed of.'

Now he felt even more idiotic. Naruto ran from something that he can never run away from. Shaking his head of all of that gibberish, he decided that he would go visit the old hag and see if they had any missions, maybe he would talk to her about other things...if he had the right feeling or if she wasn’t busy.

When he reached the doors to the Hokage tower, it was nearing dark, he decided maybe he wouldn’t talk to her about the other things, and it would be better to wait. The Jounnin guards keeping watch recognized Naruto and let him enter without question, but waved instead. Naruto waved back, a huge smile plastered on his face. Things were good now, why not be happy? He reached Tsunade's office and went in without knocking.
"Wake up you old hag!" Naruto screamed as he threw the door open.
Shizune looked up in surprise, but smiled when she noticed it was Naruto, "ahh, Naruto-kun! Come in, I need to talk to you," she said, over-joyed to see the blond.

Naruto was surprised as well, but more angry, he immediately concluded that the old hag slipped away. Probably to go gambling all the villages funds away. "Where is-" he began to ask but was cut off.
"Hokage-sama is in the village of sand, Shikamaru will be leading Kiba, Hinata, Sasuke and you to Sand where you will meet Gaara. Gaara will lead you to the Hokage and she will give you further instructions. You leave tomorrow morning at dawn, this is a B ranked mission so please be on your guard." Shizune explained.

Naruto jumped up and down in excitement. He would be going on a mission! The last mission he went on, was two months ago, and that one consisted of finding that damn woman’s cat again. This was a B rank mission, the only problem was Sasuke would be coming along, but he could bear with him. There was one other thing that disturbed him, why was Tsunade in sand? The Hokage usually never left the village without hardly anyone knowing, and why was it ranked B when they were just going to sand? 'The ranking is probably because the Hokage is involved,' Naruto thought, agreeing to the mission given by Shizune.
She wished him luck and he burst out of the tower and back to his apartment.

_____

Shikamaru was slowly walking his next destination. He grumbled about what a burden it was to stop at all these places, he was out after dark and Ino was still just as over-protective as his mother. He shook his head and sighed, "how troublesome."
Walking up to Naruto's apartment door he noticed that it was wide open. He then went on alarm and approached at a very slow pace, every step rang in his ears and he tried to walk lighter.

The lazy Jounnin took one step into Naruto's 'home' with a kunai in one hand and the other on the doorknob.
"Naruto?" Shikamaru called lightly.
"Naruto!" He yelled louder, but got no answer.
He quickly searched the apartment, but found no one. He concluded that there was no struggle, it looked like nothing was out of place....although he didn’t live there so he wasn’t sure. He decided that the best thing to do was leave the mission scroll on the table in the front room, then leave, closing the door behind him.

Shikamaru shut the door and made sure that he locked it.
"Hey Shikamaru! ..... What were you doing in my apartment?" Naruto asked Shikamaru.
Naruto noticed his door was wide open from the bottom of the stairs, he ran as fast as he could to see who decided they were going to break in his house and steal his belongings. That’s when he saw Shikamaru come out and close his door.

"I wasn’t doing anything in your apartment idiot, I came to inform you of our mission-" Shikamaru tried to explain, but was cut short.
Naruto's eyes lit up at the mentioning of the mission, "oh yeah! I know about that mission! I just talked to Shizune about it, by the way....so you have any idea why that old hag left the village?"
"No I don’t know why. Anyway, I came to inform you of our mission when I found your door wide open. I went inside and checked, there's no one in there." Shikamaru finished explaining and walked away.
"I will see you tomorrow morning at the tower steps." Shikamaru said, waving his hand.

Naruto waved back and walked into his apartment, pacing himself for the book that was sitting on his desk. But when he got to his room, he noticed the book missing. He looked on the floor and under his bed, maybe it fell when he ran out panicked. But it was no where to be seen, "Shikamaru..." Naruto thought, jolting out of the apartment to track down the person who 'stole' his book.

_____

Shikamaru, almost home and happy that he was done for the day heard Naruto yelling from down the street.
"SHIKAMARUUU!!!!" Naruto screamed as soon as he caught sight of the lazy Jounnin.
Shikamaru slowed his pace allowing the blond to catch up, he gave Naruto a weird look, "now what?"
Naruto pointed a finger in Shikamaru's face, "playing dumb? I want my book back!" Naruto demanded.
"What are you talking about? I didn’t see any book, or stole ant book from your apartment. Maybe someone came and stole it before I arrived to give you the mission," Shikamaru suggested.

Naruto gave Shikamaru a suspicious look, not so ready to believe what Shikamaru was suggesting. Shikamaru was the last person in the apartment before Naruto got home, and Shikamaru was the only person who Naruto knows entered his apartment while he was not there. There was no proof that he did or did not do it and Naruto was frustrated.

Shikamaru shrugged, "there is no way that I can prove I didn’t take it, even you were to check every bit of my clothing and found nothing, I could have easily stashed it somewhere on my way back. So there is no point in being later then I already am, but if I see your book I will return it to its rightful owner," he said before resuming his walking.

"Oh yea..." He stopped and turned his head a bit, "What does it look like?"
"Ha! Like you don’t know!" Naruto said, still not ready to believe a word that Shikamaru said. He had good reason to, Shikamaru was very intelligent and could have easily said all that to make Naruto think he was helping him when he really stole it.
Shikamaru rolled his eyes, "ah, never mind then. I cant find a book if I don’t know what it looks like and it will probably end up a bigger burden then its worth."
Naruto didn’t see any harm in telling Shikamaru what the book looked like, even if he might already know.
"Its a small dark brown book, but its thick and heavy. It's very very old, please I need that book back. Its a very special thing to me and I-" 'What am I saying?'
"I hope that your able to find it." Naruto finished, lowering his head. He hoped that either Shikamaru would give it back if he had the book, or if he found it return it to him.

Shikamaru smiled a bit, "yea, I’m sure we will find your book. Just don’t worry about it so much, go back and double check your apartment, you might have mis-placed it." Shikamaru sighed and resumed walking once again, getting ready for Ino and the wrath that awaited him.
Naruto nodded, bowed and dashed off to check his apartment once again.

_____

The sun began to rise from the east and Naruto didn’t sleep a wink. All through the night he turned his apartment upside-down looking for that book, but it was no where to be found. He didn’t know why he was so determined to find that book, it was just some old book. But it wasn’t, this book was very important, but why did he know that? Why did he have this feeling of panic, somehow knowing that it was gone, lost somewhere where he could not dare go and find.

Light filled the room and he looked at the scroll sitting on the table. Maybe it was stolen. Naruto picked up the scroll and walked out of the door towards the Hokage tower where his team was probably there waiting. If he went on this mission with Shikamaru, Sasuke, Hinata and Kiba, he might find out who stole his book. But he knew that he would have to attend the mission anyway, he could not stay here and search for that book even if he wanted to.

Naruto could just see it, Tsunade bitching the daylights out of him for not going, "I finally give you a B mission and this is how you show your Hokage material? You ungrateful whiny brat!" Naruto mimicked with his tongue sticking half way out of his mouth.

Naruto approached the steps of the Hokage tower and noticed everyone assembled and ready to go. He smiled and quickened his pace, "Naruto! What took you so long, we were supposed to leave at dawn." Kiba complained, Shikamaru nodded in agreement and Hinata blushed.
"Oh, I was looking for something." Naruto explained and Shikamaru narrowed his eyes, 'was he up all night looking for it?'

Sasuke noticed that the dobe was ignoring him, purposely not looking at him. Sasuke almost laughed, 'so scared that I would touch you in front of these people, take you as mine.'
"Lets get going!" Kiba cheered and Naruto joined in.

Shikamaru agreed and they all began their journey to sand, within a few hours they would all be out of Konoha territory and they would not have the ease of mind that there might be an ANBU guard posted somewhere in the forest nearby. But this was nothing new to them, although some wondered why the mission was ranked B and they just began to live in peace once more. What was the reason Tsunade-sama left Konoha and went to sand without anyone knowing. Shikamaru didn’t know that she left Konoha and he knew that Naruto didn’t know she left.

All during the day he found a good time to ask each one if they knew certain things about this mission, he was trying to work in the dark and he didn’t like it. But each person knew nothing. When Shikamaru asked Kiba he could tell that Kiba felt somewhat threatened, like Shikamaru was trying to accuse him of something. When he asked Hinata it took a little while to get anything out of her but she didn’t know and was telling 100% truth. Sasuke simply just stated in three words that he didn’t know and then walked away. So Shikamaru was still left in the dark and wasn’t sure what he might or might not be up against on the way to sand. But no matter what, good or bad, he was going to keep every person alive during this mission.

Two days went by surprisingly very quiet besides Kiba and Naruto's chattering. Sometimes Shikamaru or Hinata would join in but not much. Most of it was Kiba and Naruto talking about the new moves and justu's they learned and are very anxious to try them out. Hinata would mention how happy she was that it was quiet and that they haven’t run in to anyone yet, she was not fond of people getting hurt, no matter who.

Sasuke was irritated, he didn’t receive one glance from the blond during the two days they were into their mission. Naruto was stationed with Shikamaru and Kiba was with Hinata. Sasuke (of course) slept alone in his own tent. During the past two days, there was no opening or chance for him to even talk to Naruto. It was annoying, that stupid dobe was annoying. Sasuke knew that Naruto received great pleasure in watching him suffer, knowing that he cant do a damn thing in front of these so-called teammates who did nothing but get in his way.

He wasn’t used to this anymore, the last time he went on a mission with the dobe was over five months ago and even then it was hell. Not being able to take what was his whenever he wanted. But no one can know, no one. The one thing going for him in this village was the fact that he would be resurrecting his clan. He was expected to find a nice wife and settle down. Produce the next line of Uchiha Heir's so that the village could posses even more Sharingan.

"Maaa! Shikamaru lets stop and make camp for the night," Naruto whined, the sun had set and the team grew tired after walking all day.
"We keep moving, we get to the village in two hours." Shikamaru was restless.

Something was not right from the beginning of this mission but he couldn’t put his finger on it. For the past two days he half-expected some sound nin to jump from around them and attack. But they defeated sound and Orochimaru a while ago and the chances of that were around one in ten thousand. Still, something was not right, the faster they got to sand the better. Then maybe he could find out what the hell was going on and why the Hokage left the village.

The few hours they walked before they got to sand was spent very quiet, besides Naruto's mumbling every so often. They all climbed a very tall dune, one they know well. When they all reached the top Shikamaru and the others were able to see from a distance, Sand was under attack. The tallest building in the city, the tower, was covered in flames.