TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Walking The Road by TokehGecko

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Naruto Fanfiction

Disclaimer: I don’t own Naruto

Author’s Note: Pre-read by Pyr00tje

---

“Good morning, Captain.”

“Good morning, Captain!”

“Captain, good morning!”

Enthusiasm created by his very presence, something he would never get used to. He just shrugged and grunted a ‘Good morning’ back to several ANBU Members on his way to the Hokage Tower.

Many of the ANBU didn’t even know who he really was, anyway. The only ones knowing his real identity were the Hokage, Jiraiya, Shizune, Aburame Shino, Inuzuka Kiba and all of the Hyugas. All of the Aburames and Inuzukas would too, because of their enhanced senses, if it wasn’t for the Captain’s skill to cancel out his own smell and Chakra Presence.

He never took his mask off, not even when he was asleep. It’s not that anyone dared to intrude into his home, because of the many traps all around it. He wasn’t an ANBU Captain for nothing.

“Good morning, Captain.” The Hokage greeted as he walked into the office Tsunade had just awoken in. “I’ve let you come here to inform you of the number of missions you’ve accomplished. From Genin til now.”

The Captain nodded his head.

Tsunade smiled. “You can remove the mask at the end of your mission; then your days of being ANBU Captain are over, Uzumaki Naruto.”

The Captain snorted. “I know of my total amount of missions, Hokage-sama. I also know you’ve made it a possibility for ANBU Captain, even Members, to become Jounin after a certain amount, but... I don’t want to be Jounin yet.”

Tsunade frowned. “Why not? I’d thought you’d be more enthusiastic about this.”

Naruto shrugged. “I enjoy being an ANBU Captain. I enjoy being unknown to almost everyone in this Village. Perhaps it’s best if I stay ANBU Captain.” He suggested. “Besides, being a Jounin is no fun.” He let out with a very short chuckle. “I sure as hell ain’t gonna baby-sit some Genins.”

‘And he wanted to be Hokage so bad a few years ago…’ Tsunade shook her head with a small grin on her still young face. “Unfortunately, there will be a day where you will have to become a Jounin, Naruto.”

“Then I’ll just be Captain until that time really comes, eh?” He replied with a toothy grin. Truth was, Naruto really liked being ANBU Captain, a well respected one at that.

“That day will be here faster than you can imagine.” Tsunade said as she threw a scroll at Naruto, who easily caught it. “But as you wish, until then, you’ll remain ANBU Captain. But there’s one thing you might want to know…”

“Oh?” Naruto said, and Tsunade could actually feel an eyebrow rising behind Naruto’s mask.

“There will be new ANBU Members this month…” Tsunade said. “They will be divided under the best ANBU Captains…”

Naruto nodded his head. “I still got all my subordinates, Hokage-sama. None of them died. Did Aburame lose some by any chance?” He asked, but he already knew the answer.

Tsunade shook her head. “No, it’s time to promote some of your subordinates and some of theirs to ANBU Captains as well… Maybe a few to Jounin.”

Naruto snorted. “So, you’re taking Inuzuka from me, huh?”

Tsunade grinned at the mask before her. “Not only Kiba, I think your entire team will have a new rank… or will be doing missions with other Jounins.”

Naruto sighed, annoyance dancing through his mask. “So, who’ll be joining the ANBU Ranks?”

“I was hoping you’d take the offer of becoming Jounin, then you wouldn’t have to worry about any of this.” Tsunade stated. “But as it is now, you’ll have to work with at least one of the next Shinobis…”

Naruto folded his arms, trying to ignore his own impatience.

“Hyuga Hanabi, Sarutobi Konohamaru, Gekkou Udon, Ami, Fuki-“

Naruto’s eyes widened. “Ami and Fuki! They were in my class along with Sasuke and Sakura… Damn, they were the female bullies of the Class…”

Tsunade glared at Naruto for interrupting her, earning an apologizing cough. “Hijiri Tsumon, Inaho, Kamizuki Izumo, Hagane Kotetsu-”

“Ha! Those two lazy bastards finally decided to join our ranks, huh?” Naruto interrupted once more. “What about Iwashi?”

“I’m still reading the list, Naruto…” Tsunade warned, a vein appearing on her forehead. Naruto sighed and shrugged. “Aburame Minoji and Tatami Iwashi… Obviously, there are a lot more, but I don’t have the patience to read the whole list to you. Also, a few Jounins wanted to become ANBU again… So our ANBU section is expanding this season. Be ready for some competition, Elite Captain!” Tsunade grinned cheekily.

“Pff, as if anyone can be more competent than I.” He let out cockily. “My leader skills are absolute, my motivation for cooperation is never-ending, my-”

“Naruto.” Tsunade interrupted. “I would love to listen to your bragging, but would you just open that scroll in your hands already?”

Naruto didn’t respond and just opened the scroll. “Sheesh, and you wanted this to be my last mission? How boring.” He commented after reading it.

Tsunade glared.

“Well, I’m just gonna do this mission with only Kiba, I think.” Naruto said as he eyed the scroll. “This seems too easy.”

Tsunade’s glare grew in its viciousness.

“I mean, how hard can it be hunting down Yakushi Kabuto and Orochimaru?” He said with a massive grin.


Walking the Road
- Prologue

Tsunade was signing Mission Reports that had come in yesterday as Shizune came in. “Tsunade-sama, about twenty Missions have already been accomplished today.” She announced as she put down another pile of papers on her desk, which was already pretty full.

Tsunade rolled her eyes. “Heard anything about the S-Rank Mission I released, Shizune?”

Shizune shook her head and turned around. She was about to walk out again. “Who did you give the mission to, Tsunade-sama?” She asked. “I mean, it’s Orochimaru who’s being hunted on…”

Tsunade shot her an amused gaze. “I’ve sent our best ANBU Squad, of course…”

Shizune grinned. “Heh, I think the rumours have spread through to every country by now, hm, Tsunade-sama?”

Tsunade nodded. “Hehe, yeah… The Yellow Flash has returned, they say…”

“Now that the Kyuubi is gone…” Shizune began. “You’d think Naruto-kun would be less powerful, but…”

“It’s quite the opposite.” Tsunade ended. “The process of the Chakra Bonding thanks to the seal of the Fourth made part of Kyuubi’s Chakra permanently accessible to Naruto, even with the Bijuu extracted. Naruto has an enormous Chakra Capacity, even without the Kyuubi, we can conclude now. But now that we’ve found out that Kyuubi left Naruto a lot of Chakra, the two Chakra sources just fused together, giving him more than twice as many.”

“And without the Kyuubi inside of him, Naruto-kun’s Chakra Control is abnormally high.” Shizune said. “Konoha truly breeds monsters…”

“No one can sense Kyuubi’s or Naruto’s Chakra, as it has now become a completely different Chakra altogether… So no one can guess it’s Naruto hiding behind that mask…” Tsunade mused. “Well, let’s get back to work. Naruto’s team probably won’t finish this mission. Orochimaru was spotted close to the Grass Country, but that Hiding Place is probably already destroyed by now. Orochimaru must be pretty far away from Grass by now.”

---

“He’s long gone.”

Kiba nodded his head, his Dog mask moving up and down once. “I can still smell him, though.”

Naruto shrugged. “His smell usually lingers for about a week. But there’s another familiar smell.”

“Yeah, Yakushi Kabuto’s…” Kiba added. “There were four people in total here. But now that you mention it…”

“Yes, there seems to be another familiar smell…” Naruto stated.

Part of the team was going through burned wood and debris in a cave and the other part was outside, searching for anything that might help them in their search for the Snake Sannin.

“What do you think, Captain?” Kiba asked as he helped a few ANBU lift up a huge boulder.

Naruto walked over to a few burned papers and tried to read what was left of them. “Nothing. We return to Leaf. The Snake Coward has run away again.”

Kiba nodded his head. “We’ve found nothing.”

“Oy, Shinji.” Naruto called out softly as he walked to the opening of the cave. “You found anything outside?”

Shinji, a guy slightly smaller than Naruto appeared before him. “Signs of a fight just half a mile away from here.”

Naruto nodded his head. “Fire Techniques?”

“At least a few.” From behind Shinji’s mask, one could see black hair. “More Water Techniques, actually. A lot of trees are affected by poison too.”

“I see.” Naruto sighed. “Make a report on the battlefield. Let Shigeru and Setsuko scan further ahead. Kiba, Miku and Kasumi will scan the cave. I will see if I can still find the ones who battled where you said.”

Shinji nodded as the duo disappeared and reappeared on a big battlefield. “Hooo… I think this was a fun fight.” Naruto commented as he took a look at his surroundings. “Definitely Orochimaru… To think he would use Manda…”

Big parts were scraped away and one could easily conclude a Summon, or summons, were used during the fight. Naruto narrowed his eyes to see which way the Shinobis went after the fight. “Both survived…” Shinji let out suddenly. “I’m sorry; I forgot to mention that I didn’t find any corpses…”

“Doesn’t matter.” Naruto replied as he waved an arm. “Good luck on your report, Shinji. I’m off; I’ll try and track the ones down who fought here.”

Shinji saw how Naruto left him in an amazing speed. ‘Damn, I still wonder who our Captain really is…’

---

As Naruto’s ANBU Squad returned to Leaf, they received the same welcome they always received, a welcome full of respect. But only by other ANBUS of course, since they were the only ones actually seeing them return.

They hadn’t encountered anyone, Naruto had chased after a few tracks left behind by Shinobis, but the battle was at least two days old, so it was no use going after either Shinobi. And maybe there were more than two. Safety first, after all.

“Captain.” Tsunade greeted, while Naruto greeted her back with a formal bow. “I have some interesting news for you.”

The Captain just stared at the Hokage. “You’re not interested in the Mission Report?”

Tsunade smiled. “I’m sure you know of the fact that Uchiha Sasuke has run away from Orochimaru several years ago?” As Naruto nodded, Tsunade continued. “Well, I’m also sure you’ve seen scars on the land of a fight close to where we’ve sent your team to.”

Naruto nodded.

“Uchiha Sasuke has engaged Orochimaru and Yakushi Kabuto to a fight nearby Grass Country. Alongside Uchiha Sasuke was a female, also fighting against Orochimaru and Kabuto.” Tsunade stared intently at the ANBU’s Mask. “Yesterday, Uchiha Sasuke has returned with this female friend, a former Sound Jounin. They have sworn allegiance to Konoha… They’re now both under treatment of the highest team of Torture and Interrogation.”

Naruto nodded. “Ibiki must be having fun, then.”

“You don’t seem to be happy.” The Hokage commented.

“I don’t really care about what happens to the Uchiha. Even if he’s stationed in my ANBU Team in a few months, it still wouldn’t make a difference. I won’t reveal my identity.” Naruto began. “I am sure you’ll allow that Uchiha traitor back in the Village…”

Tsunade shrugged. “Under heavy surveillance for the first year, perhaps.”

---

A year later…

“Well, what do you say?”

Ami, a girl who he would definitely recognise as a bully several years ago, had now become a very good friend of his. He acted as if it didn’t matter that the girl didn’t know who he really was behind the mask. Back at the Ninja Academy, Ami used to bully, for example, Sakura because of her huge forehead. Naruto was amazed at how beautiful Ami had become.

His new team was consistent of Ami, Hagane Kotetsu, Iwashi Tatami, Kamizuki Izumo and Tobitake Tonbo. Naruto sighed as he had already dismissed his team and was on his way back home. Ami lived close by him and Naruto had remembered before she had become a member of his team that Ami didn’t have any parents either.

“I don’t know. I like where I am right now. No one knows who I am and still people recognise me and respect me almost as much as the Hokage.”

Ami snorted. “Pff, as if you’re as respected as the Fifth.” She took her mask off, to reveal long, blue hair and beautiful brown eyes. “Anyway, don’t you think it’s about time you show your subordinates who you really are?”

Naruto shook his head. “Haven’t done so in years, won’t do it now. My previous subordinates didn’t know who I was either, except for a single one. But he was very trustworthy. He’s a respected Jounin now.”

“The only one I know who worked under you and has become Jounin is Inuzuka Kiba.” Ami grinned. “Perhaps I should ask him. I’m probably able to beat him to a pulp.”

Naruto snorted. “You? Pff, the only thing you are is a Mitarashi Anko wannabe.”

“Hey, I resent that!” Ami yelled as she hit Naruto on the top of the head. “Hey, Captain? Your hair colour, this is fake, right?” She asked as she ran her hand through his brown hair from behind. “To think you’d go as far as to use such a solid Genjutsu to keep your identity secret.”

Naruto shrugged. “It also helps that I have to keep it up every day, all day. My Chakra Stamina can’t be beaten as it’s getting bigger and bigger.”

Ami pondered as she put a finger under her chin. “You know, you’d be even more powerful if you just reveal who you are, wouldn’t you?”

Naruto nodded. “Yup! Imagine that, my entire team is unable to even lay a finger on me, and I’m still not fighting at my best, eh?”

“Shut up!” Ami said, dignified. “Anyway, why not turn Jounin? A guy like you would probably become Hokage in no time.”

Naruto fell silent at that one. “Becoming Hokage… It was once my dream, you know?”

Ami fell silent as well. The Captain never talked about himself. The reason they were having this conversation was because Ami had accepted a promotion a few days ago. The Hokage told her she has done enough missions to become Jounin. The silence didn’t last long, though. “You? Become Hokage! I was just kidding that you’d be able to become one in no time!” She burst out laughed. “As if you could ever become so responsible!”

Naruto silenced her by tripping her to the ground. “You know I’m the most responsible, why are you mocking me?”

Ami glared at him for letting her fall. “You know I’m kidding, Captain, why trip me?”

Naruto shrugged. “To become Hokage…” He mused. “Superficial people don’t deserve a leader like me.” He declared.

Ami coughed wildly, trying to hold in her laughter. “Don’t deserve a leader like you! Don’t act so high and mighty!”

Naruto sighed. “Well, you’re home. Report six in the morning tomorrow for debriefing. I have important news.” With that, Naruto left.

Ami shrugged, used to him leaving so abruptly, and stepped into her home.

---

Tsunade was not one to get enthusiastic, but even she had trouble concealing her joy as she stared at the man in front of her. “So, you’re finally taking the mask off?”

Naruto nodded, but didn’t pull the mask off just yet. “If I become Jounin, what will change?”

“Your payment, for starters. As it is now, Konoha has become even more powerful than before. You’ll become a Jounin Team.”

Behind the mask, an eyebrow rose. “Jounin Team? I didn’t even know those existed.”

“That’s because at first they didn’t. But next to ANBU, I also want Jounin Teams in this Village. For security and S-Rank Missions which should actually be higher than S…” Tsunade explained. “You’ve become a force to be reckoned with… Rookie Jounin, Uzumaki Naruto. You know, you’re one of the last of the Genin group you were part of to become Jounin. But you’re probably stronger than all of them.”

Naruto shrugged, not really caring.

“Another Rookie Jounin, Hyuga Hanabi, will be your subordinate.”

“Subordinate?” Naruto asked. “What do you mean? Am I going to be some kind of Captain again?”

Tsunade grinned. “Yes, these Jounin Teams are very secretive, Naruto. Most Jounins don’t even know of their existence… But yes, you’ll become a Jounin Captain.”

“Never heard of that Rank before…” Naruto frowned.

“Your team will be consistent of a Captain and four subordinates. Hyuga Hanabi, Yamanaka Ino, Ami and Mitarashi Anko.”

Naruto held in a gasp, a mighty big one at that, too… “What! Four women! And why the hell is Mitarashi Anko a subordinate of mine?”

Tsunade tried to punch Naruto to silence him, but Naruto seemed to become two as Tsunade’s fist went through Naruto’s face. “You’re lucky you’re so fast, Naruto…” She warned. “Now be quiet.”

Naruto glared at her through his mask.

“Mitarashi Anko wanted to become part of a Jounin Team as well. Unfortunately, there aren’t many Jounins who can… overpower her. You’re one among few who can probably restrain her.”

Naruto sighed. “What about the other three women? Why do I only have women in my team?”

Tsunade grinned. “What, you can’t handle women, little Naruto-kun?”

Naruto ignored her.

“Anyway, to more important matters.” Tsunade started, but was interrupted.

“You didn’t answer the question, Hokage-sama…” Naruto said.

“I don’t have to.” Tsunade replied with a grin. “Ok, who’s going to be the next Captain of your team?”

Naruto snorted. “Iwashi Tatami. Who’s gonna replace me and Ami on the team?”

“Sarutobi Konohamaru and the other one I’m not sure about yet.” Tsunade answered. “Now, are you gonna dispel your Genjutsu and pull the mask off?”

Naruto sighed. “You’re the first in three years who’s going to see my face, you know?” He said as he did a single handseal. Tsunade looked intrigued as Naruto’s blonde hair appeared behind the mask.

Naruto then pulled the mask off and revealed to Tsunade he didn’t have any whisker marks on his cheeks anymore. His eyes had become a bit more narrower than before, making him look a bit like the Yondaime. But Naruto’s eyes were still bigger as Tsunade looked at the picture of the Yondaime on the wall.

And no longer was there the childish look Naruto always had. Now he was more mature and the look in his eyes carried experience, harshness, sadness and… curiosity?

“Well, how do I look?” Naruto asked. “Can I cross a street with a face like this?” He asked as he put his hands on his face.

“Naruto, I don’t think you realize how handsome you are…”

Naruto frowned. “You’re too old for me, Hokage-sama.”

Tsunade again lashed out with her fist, but missed again as Naruto moved in high speed. “Catch this.” Tsunade said as she grabbed a Jounin Uniform and threw it at Naruto.

“A Jounin… A Jounin Captain.” Naruto whispered. “I hope I’m not going to regret this decision.” He said as he stared at the Jounin Vest in his hands.

---

Naruto landed in a clearing and saw his subordinates waiting for him.

“Ok, listen up. I’ve got important news.” He announced as everyone gathered around him.

“Why did we have to come this early, Captain?” Ami whined.

“Obviously, a mission.” Kotetsu pointed out.

“Our last mission.” Naruto said, silencing everyone.

“Last?” Iwashi asked. “Suicidal mission again?” He whined. “You always scare us like that…”

“No, starting next week, actually when we get back from this mission, I’m Jounin.”

“Active?” Tonbo asked. His eyes were covered by bandages and over the bandages he wore his headband.

“Kinda.” Naruto said. “Anyway, Iwashi will be Captain and Sarutobi Konohamaru will join the team. I don’t know who the last one who’ll join the team will be.”

“Man, we were such a kick-ass team…” Izumo said. “With you as our Captain and we as your subordinates… We really were invincible, eh?”

Ami nodded her head. “Even Elite Jounins would get their ass handed to them…”

Naruto then did something which froze them all. “Cuh-Captain!”

He was pulling his mask off.

Everyone was cautiously gazing at him…

Naruto pulled the mask off and grinned at his team. “Nice to meet you all…”

“You… You’re…” Kotetsu and Izumo both pointed.

Ami’s eyes were slightly widened. “You do look familiar, Captain.” She said. ‘And hot, too…’ She added as an afterthought.

Iwashi didn’t know what to say. “Ah…”

“The name’s Uzumaki Naruto…” He introduced.

---

TBC