TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


The One Possessed by antilogicgirl

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Okay guys. This is something I'm doing for Halloween! I figure I rarely write creepy stuff, and almost never do anything supernatural, but this is the best time to do it. The big thing you need to keep in mind is that there will be a lot of mention of witchcraft and demons. Other than that, there will be mild swearing, some blood, and lots of evil-ness.

Warnings:

FL--
Foul Language (mild)

Sup--Supernatural

If you see

"text" = demon speech

text = normal narration

text = human thoughts

Legal Stuffiness: I do not own Naruto, or any of the characters therein. Kishimoto Masashi, sole proprietor.
Title: The One Possessed
Author: antilogicgirl
Occasion: Halloween, 2006
Genre: Horror, Suspense
Summary: Seven years after the murder of her mother, Hinata has turned to less conventional methods to find the truth. During a midnight ceremony, she summons something she did not intend. Something dark, over which she has no control. Will she be able to live as the one possessed? [Dark]

--

Prologue: Shut Your Eyes

--

The street was calm, save for the light breeze that blew strangely warm across her skin. It was dark, though it did not frighten her, even as she approached the gate. The metal rusted, resting crookedly in its frame, jagged points of wrought iron twisted and at times broken, resembled the mouth of an ancient beast. The night pressed in, pushing her forward. This place drew her in, like no other could. Headstones broken, crooked, weathered and moldering away to nothingness, it was a place that held a sort of finality that she found frightening and comforting at the same time.

Her pale hand rested on the latch, but only for a moment. This was something she had come to do every year since her mother’s death, and she would not stop. The gate opened as she pushed, screaming out into the night its protest of being too old, to ancient for any such activity. After entering, she removed her shoes, for this was indeed the home of the dead. Eyes glanced up, catching the light of the moon in irises equally pale. That warm wind came again, ruffling night-black hair, throwing it into her face.

It was good, she decided as she walked, that none of her family knew that she did this. Perhaps it was better that her father did not know what she did on the anniversary of her mother’s death. Her father would have stopped her. Her sister would have said, once again, that it was weakness. She was not fit to take care of herself, let alone be head of the family. All of that was pushed from her mind. Right now, all that mattered was her mother. It hadn’t taken much to lead her to the fact that her mother had not died of natural causes. But still, seven years after she was murdered…she still knew nothing of the monster that taken the life of the gentlest, kindest woman the world had ever known.

“If only I knew…”

Her voice died on the breeze as she approached her family’s plot. There was a mausoleum at the very back, all white marble, glowing like the entrance to heaven in the moonlight. She was there. The building was easily the largest of the houses of the dead in the entire cemetery. Because of this, it rose like a monolith, pale and imposing, lording in death over those the family had done the same to in life. From the pocket of her dress, she drew a bronze key, and looked up at the inscription over the door.

“Eternal rest, eternal peace await within…”

Her pale eyes squeezed shut. It wasn’t true. There was no way that a soul taken so soon would be at peace. Slender fingers tightened around the key before she jammed it into the lock. The tumblers in the ancient lock were, as always, a bit sticky, and she had to lean into it with her full strength to actually disengage the barrier. Somehow, the door swung quietly out, and she rested it against the pale stone. Inside, it was dark, black as Hell.

Now, as ever when entering this room, she was afraid. The dark seemed to reach out, wanting to pull her in, not let go, and make her stay and live among the dead until she joined them. From her slender shoulders, she pulled a bag, and out of the bag, she drew a candle, tall, thick, and white. A cigarette lighter came next, to light the wick. When it burned brightly, she took one step into the darkness before letting wax drip to the floor and securing the candle with it.

“Let this light illuminate the path…”

Her hand delved into her bag, withdrawing another candle, and she lit it on the first. Taking another step in, she placed the candle as she had the one before, and stood.

“Let this light open the way…”

Another candle, placed at the third step.

“Let this light awaken the sleeping…”

Her body began to shake at the fourth step. The light was growing, but it did not pierce far enough. That was all right. She would not go all the way there. She never did. Here at the fourth step, she pulled a cloth from her bag. Unfurling the dark purple velvet, she placed it in the center of the room, at the edge of the light. Small candles in tiny glass jars were the next to be set out, and lit. These she placed at the five points of the silver star embroidered on the soft fabric.

“Let these lights raise the awakened, and bring them forth…”

The last preparation was a small bowl of black glass, filled with dark red wine, placed at the edge of the northern point of the star. Having done all of this, she settled herself into the center of the star, closing her eyes.

“Will you rise?”

Wind howled outside the door, having become more violent the moment she sat. The temperature began to fall. Her breath misted before her face, though she did not see it. Rain fell, pattering down on the stone and grass outdoors, but she and the silent occupants of the room remained dry.

“Will you rise?”

Had her eyes been open, she would have seen the candles guttering and nearly flickering out when the door banged shut. Her breath came in quick gasps as she heard nearly-silent footfalls.

“Is that you? Mother?”

There was no answer, but she dared not open her eyes.

“Mother…I’m sorry…another year has gone by, and still I don’t know. I still search. I still seek for the answers, but they all try to stop me. What should I do?”

The footsteps came closer, whispering like dried leaves against the ground. Longing took her, and she wished to see, but the spirit would flee if the attempt were made. There was still no answer from the spirit.

“Will you not speak? Will you not tell me what to do?” A tremor came into her voice. “Please…I need to know. I must know…” Tears, warm and salty on her chilled skin, ran down her face out of frustration and despair.

A presence came close, and she could feel the disturbance in the air. Why did she not answer?

“Hinata…” A low voice said, so unlike her mother that her fear at stepping into this place returned. This was not her mother. This was something else. Cold fingers traced the lines left by her tears. “Why did you come here little Hinata?” She did not want to answer. She would not.

Jaw clamped shut, Hinata set herself against the spirit, creature, or whatever it was that she had summoned. She forced her breaths to come at an even pace, even as her heart hammered in her chest. That low, haunting voice came again.

“Why are you here? You will tell me…” Icy hands gripped her face. They were solid, and were not even the least bit yielding. This was no spirit. What then? Some ghoul from Hell? Some demon waiting to devour her…soul? Cold seeped down into her flesh from where she was held, numbing her and setting her on fire. It felt as if she were being doused in an icy river. “Why are you here? Why have I been summoned?”

She did not intend for her voice to sound. But she was compelled, and had no control over her own body. “I came to seek comfort, and to gain knowledge…Please…let me go…” What was the creature doing to her? She was pleading with it. Why did it have to be so? She had summoned it, had she not? If that was the case, then why could she not control it? A jolt of pain shot through her and she screamed, eyes squeezing shut more tightly than they already were.

The hands that had been holding her hostage suddenly let go, and Hinata crumpled to the floor, having been unaware that she was standing. The pain was gone, but now was replaced by an empty cold that was eating away at her insides. “Open your eyes.” Her stomach lurched, and her breathing became ragged as she tried in vain to resist the commands of this thing that she had brought forth. Her eyes opened slowly, against her will. Hinata couldn’t see the thing. It was behind her now. The phantom pain in her chest returned for a moment, and she tried very hard to stifle it. The voice, which she was beginning to think might be only in her mind, said, “Stand up.”

Again, she found herself obeying. Dragging herself upright, she stood stiffly as if held in place by wires. The skin on her arm prickled as she was touched by hands she could not see. “You have summoned me, little one…what is your wish? Knowledge? Comfort?” the voice, vaguely male, laughed. “There is no comfort but the grave, little Hinata. You cannot possibly wish for that. Knowledge…this I can offer you.”

The hair on the back of her neck stood on end as chilly breath blew over her skin. It was near. What did it say? It can give me…knowledge? Could the creature tell her who killed her mother? “W-W-What do y-you know?” Her voice was her own again, but she could not control it. The shaking, wavering quality did not go away.

Cold breath on her neck became colder as she surmised that the creature came nearer, chuckling just a bit at her query. “Nothing is given without something taken in return…it is the way of things, little one. What are you willing to give?” Hinata shivered as she felt hands like cold steel take hold of her shoulders, pulling her until her back came into contact with what appeared to be a very hard, very masculine human chest.

“I—” her voice stopped as she willed it to do so with all of her strength. Why could she not speak as she wished to? All she really wished to do was to banish this thing…this monster that she had summoned. But her mouth only seemed to move to say things other than what she wanted. Hinata clamped her jaw shut to keep herself from speaking.

“You are a very stubborn girl. It seems that you must be persuaded to speak, yes?” One of the hands that had been gripping her shoulders like death itself moved to her face, taking hold of her jaw, squeezing cruelly, and Hinata cried out in pain, her mouth finally opening. She could now see the hands that held her, as one used a long, sharp nail to cut the snow-white palm of the other, and blood black as tar welled up in the hollow of that pale hand. The creature seized her jaw again, pouring the inky substance into Hinata’s mouth, causing her to gag on the cold, acidic taste. Her attempts to spit it out went in vain, for it soaked into her tongue, her throat, and her mind reeled at the sensation. Every sense was nullified that did not involve pain. She could not see, hear, smell or feel anything other than her body’s own torment.

Her face was released, and her body fell into convulsions, back arching painfully as the creature placidly held her against its chest. As the shaking of her body eased, Hinata found that she was weeping, and her hands were twisted in the cloth of a shirt worn by the creature behind her. The fabric felt rough against her skin, and the air colder. She could hear the wind much more loudly, and many hundreds of feet…scampering, running, stopping, and starting again. Hinata could smell dirt, rain, death, and cold. Why? She felt as if…

“W-What did you d-do to me?” Damn her shaking voice…she hated it.

Laughing lowly, the creature purred in her ear, “Nothing is given without a price being exacted. I have given you what you need to gain your knowledge. Now, what are you willing to give me in return?” Lips brushed over her ear as these words were spoken. They felt like dead flesh. She could not answer. How did she answer something that she had never thought of? “So you still will not tell me?” The grip on her waist tightened painfully, and the creature laughed again. “That is not satisfactory, but since you will not tell me, there is another course. I will take whatever payment I deem worthy of the gift I have bestowed upon you.”

Hinata began to shake, then when panic took her over, she began struggling. It was no use. “Let me go!” She screamed, beating her fists on the arm that held her. “You—you—let me go you—“ Hinata’s raving was interrupted as she was whirled around, her heart trying to jump from her chest. The thing was turning her to face it! Could she possibly lay eyes on something so frightening? Her eyes shut on their own, but something made her open them, though she was unsure if it was morbid curiosity or the strange, terrifying beast that now held her.

The girl found herself looking up into eyes like black ice. It was like being hypnotized: all she seemed to be able to look at were those bottomless black eyes. Her gaze strayed after half an instant to the rest of the creature’s face. Pale, delicate skin, an elegant nose and a graceful mouth formed an image of terrible and intense beauty. Long hair hung down before those icy eyes, disheveled and unkempt. Her mouth was still poised, the last word of her sentence on the tip of her tongue, but it would not come. That word had now died.

Pale lips parted, revealing perfect white teeth, and a pair of short, gleaming fangs. The creature spoke harshly, shaking her slightly with each word. “What? What will you call me? Monster? Beast? Demon?” Black eyes flashed white for a moment, until the creature calmed. “I am all of those, and much, much more, little Hinata. But you will know me by none of those names.”

She could only stare, open mouthed, as this unearthly being held her almost roughly enough to break bones and as he—she was certain now that it was male—glared down at her from nearly a head and a half above her own height. Even if she had the use of her voice, she would not have been able to speak.

“You will call me Sasuke…”

--

A/N: Well. That's the first bit. Hope you like it, and that you'll read through to the end.