TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Control: Legacy by proxy_flame, Midan no Hatake

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes: Diclaimer: I have not claim to the copyrights of Naruto. Don't sue.
Chapter Two



I woke up needing to urinate, and then remembered the catheter. The light that came through the window was gone, only a black patch within the bars and borders of the opening. The light bulb shone brightly above me. I squinted at it and turned my face away from the glaring light. Dr. Kanami looked up from her clipboard and smiled at me.

"How are you feeling?"

I squinted at her without answering. She frowned. "You still can't talk?" When I didn't answer she leaned over.

"Let me check your throat again, okay?" I nodded and she peered and squinted for a few minutes, aided by a penlight produced from a pocket of her coat.

"There isn't anything wrong with your throat, so you should be able to talk. It must be mental trauma then," she decided.

Oh really? Mental trauma, huh? No kidding. I glared at her. Nearly being burned alive and then kidnapped does that to you, I thought acidly.

"Do you think you're up for writing? There's someone who wants to talk to you."

I shrugged and nodded. Why not? Finding out more might help me find a way to get out of here. She shuffled a few sheets on her clipboard around and handed it to me along with the pen, and then went outside. A big, scar-faced hulk of a man came in the door covered in dark clothing came in after her, along with two other people in matching uniforms.

The scar-faced man and the two guards... I wanted to laugh at first, until I got a good look at the big man's eyes. Abruptly I wanted to run away. This couldn't be possible but it was happening right in front of me.

The man sat down in the chair Dr. Kanami had been sitting in. "I'm Ibiki Morino, from the Intelligence Section. Would you tell me your name please?"

The urge to shriek hysterically was almost jaw breaking in intensity, rapidly morphing into an equally hysterical and intense desire to laugh. I closed my eyes and tried to hold in the laughter, my ribs immediately beginning to ache from the strain and my body shuddering.

"Miss? Are you all right?" asked the big man.

I gritted my teeth and shut him out. Hearing his voice wasn't helping my hysteria at all.

"Miss, are you all right."

No, certainly not helping. That terrible burning sensation was beginning to come back.

"Doctor Kanami!"

Won't help. I couldn't possibly be here. Not here, in some fairy tale world. I couldn't be an entire world away from home, away from my family. It should be impossible. But no, that was hypocritical. I had done many impossible things before. I knew there were impossible things which were extremely possible. I clenched my hands into fists. But how? Did they bring me here? But then why would they? How could I possibly be in Konoha?

"Miss?" Doctor Kanami's voice. She paused a beat and then the most lovely feeling I'd ever experienced began. It was like being bathed in the softest, tenderest feelings, the most wonderful energy in the world, all soft and warm and sweet. I instantly relaxed, my aura responded to the doctor's energy, reaching out further than it ever had and trying to pull her to me. But when she felt me reach for her she pulled her energy away. I nearly cried. I wanted that sweetness back because if Heaven existed then I swore, that was what it felt like.

I opened my eyes and stared at her piteously, hoping maybe she'd do it again. More impressions of what her energy had felt like came floating into coherency. I had felt her through it, her concern for me, the worry that the disease I now suffered would kill me before she could even find out the tiniest detail about me. It wasn't a conscious one, the decision not to think about the fact that somehow I'd gotten sick and the doctor believed it would kill me eventually, it was just unconscious practicality.

"Is she alright? What happened?" Ibiki's voice was gruff.

"The corruption is of the chakra network and the cells that renew it. When she got upset just now, her chakra flared up and irritated the affected areas. The Mystical Palm seemed to soothe it."

She wasn't going to do it again then, only when this thing rose up. I reluctantly turned my gaze back to Ibiki and he looked at me with intense dark eyes. Looking at him again I could feel it could be true I was in the story. I looked at him with my aura... and shrieked soundlessly as I was engulfed in pain. From top to toe I burned again.

Vaguely aware of Doctor Kanami and Ibiki shouting and then the soothing heaven came back, radiating from multiple points this time. My aura reached out instinctively as the burning faded under that sweet intrusion.
I lay gasping and shaking when the energy pulled back, running through things I'd picked up the second time around in the healing energy.

They didn't know who I was -or what I was for that matter.

I had been found in the training grounds, convulsing on the leaf-littered ground by two jōnin.

My leg had been bleeding.

When I had been brought under intense security to the ANBU post in the Forest of Death, the doctors who had examined me had been shocked into incoherency by the fact that I'd had no chakra system and was developing one right in front of their eyes.

And the developing system was rapidly being compromised by the disease imparted by whatever had bitten my leg. By using massive doses of the liquid form -twenty times more potent than the pill form- of the medication used to treat the disease, they stalled the development of the virus corrupting my chakra vessels and managed to let the system develop as well as it could naturally.

The Sandaime Hokage himself and two of the Council Elders had come to see for themselves when I had been unconscious.

Ibiki was here to find out everything he could about me.

Inoichi Yamanaka was waiting outside the room in case I turned out to be an enemy.

I turned my head and stared at Ibiki in shock. And fear. And then pure recklessness as I realized that I was really here and what Inoichi waiting outside meant for the rest of my life. Even if I went back home nothing was going to change, that I could now be seen by anyone as an enemy. I wondered if this was what the blacks had felt in slavery -if they wondered at it as I did in that instant- that something of your physical aspect was so horrifying that you were stereotyped as something to be eliminated in the instant you did not fit the pattern you were given to follow. Beyond that I dimly sensed something huge and vast that stalked humanity from the instant of birth and it vanished the moment I tried to grasp it.

There wasn't anything I could do but appease them and try to find out why this was happening to me and even then I might not be able to do anything about it for myself. I willed myself to relax, loosening the muscles slowly, evening out my breathing. Moderately calm again, I looked at Ibiki and waited. Doctor Kanami put the clipboard and the pen in my hands again. I didn't remember dropping them. I took them and rolled the pen between my fingers, knowing that I'd have to use pictures to communicate with them. I couldn't talk, and I couldn't use their writing anyway. I could copy the characters perfectly, yes, but I'd do it in a meaningless pattern unless told what each stroke, each symbol separately and grouped together meant.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Can you tell me your name, please?"

Diana, I tried to say, but the word wouldn't come out again.

"Da-aana?" asked Ibiki.

I stared at him. He'd read my lips, it seemed. "Daana? That's your name?" I shook my head and held up my hand with the index and thumb an inch apart. On the paper -it felt good, as it always did, to draw- I sketched a seed, then sketched it again, this time with the two halves separated. I could have gotten across the correct first syllable with a simpler method but with Inoichi outside the door I didn't really feel like risking it. Ibiki stared at me waiting for me to explain. I mouthed my name again.

"Daana," he repeated.

I shook my head and repeated it while pointing to the second drawing of the seed.

"A seed?"

I held up my fingers again and pointed to the two halves, repeated my name.

"Am I getting part of your name wrong?" he asked.

I nodded and mouthed my name once more. He stared at the picture for a moment.

"Di-ana?" he tried again.

I nodded at him. He'd gotten it right this time.

"And your last name, Di-ana, can you tell me that?"

I shook my head and held up one finger.

"Diana."

I nodded and mouthed my surname.

"Mat-yuuz?"

On the paper I wrote down a long algebra equation that had stuck with me and then a log with an axe stuck in the top.

"Mathematics," he said. I made a chopping motion with my finger.

"Math?" asked the guard. I nodded.

Ibiki still looked at the sketches. "Hews?" he asked cautiously. "Math-hews?"

I nodded and held up one finger.

"Mathews. Diana Mathews," he pronounced and looked at me shrewdly. "Why didn't you just spell it out?"

Well. Either I die now, or this will lead to trouble in the future, I thought. I sketched a map of the -my- world and showed it to him. The already quiet room went so still that the beeps of the machines in the corner sounded like detonations. Silently, Ibiki took the clipboard from my hands and began to sketch another map, this one a map showing the Shinobi Nations and three more continents I'd never seen displayed there. He handed back the clipboard and pen and I started sketching again.

In one of the continents of my world I drew a comic panel, with Ibiki and the guards, sitting down, talking, drinking, one guard crouched in a tree holding a kunai. In one panel I replicated perfectly the map he had drawn, and drew Hiruzen Sarutobi inside the borders of what I knew to be the Land of Fire. Lastly I drew myself lying on my bed reading the very same comic book with the same panels. I showed him the sketches and again he gazed silently from them to me.

"Inoichi," he called quietly. "Would you come in here please?"

I tried very hard not to start shaking again but the moment the door opened and Inoichi stepped in my heart leapt into my throat. Ibiki got up and gestured for Inoichi to take the chair. He sat and looked from me to Ibiki. The big man came to stand by the head of my bed and nodded to Inoichi.

"Are the things you drew true? You are from another world and in that world this one is a story?"

I nodded. My hands were trembling in spite of my very best effort. I flinched when the burning started up again. It felt like an energy had just brushed mine, only for an instant, then settled back down gently. I got the feeling that with anyone else it would have gone unnoticed but because of my ability I noticed it and felt it.

"She's telling the truth, she knows both of us," Inoichi murmured.

Ibiki stared at me appraisingly. "How did you get here?"

I shrugged and scribbled a question mark on the paper. Flicking a glance at the two ninja, I sketched Ibiki's face under the question mark.

"No, we didn't bring you here, if that's what you are asking."

Well, if they didn't bring me here then somebody had to. I could never rip open some dimensional barrier and go through myself. So who was the one who had brought me here, if not them? As a matter of fact, how was I going to find out who it was? I scratched another question mark and the burning flared up again.

"How old are you, Diana?"

16, I wrote on the paper.

"Can you tell me when your birthday is?"

I numbered from 1 to 12 and then circled 9, writing the number 15 next to it.

"September 15th. Alright. We need to report now. Get some rest, we'll be back tomorrow." He took the clipboard and pen from me. "Diana are you an artist?" he asked, sounding slightly curious. I nodded yes. "Were you the one who created that... story?"

I wish, I thought and shook my head no. He nodded and they all left except Dr. Kanami who got up and began straightening me up and fiddling with the IV. Then she went out and I was left with a burning under my skin.
Chapter end notes: Read and Review.