TONFA
The Original Naruto Fanfic Archive

Main Categories

Het Romance [1092]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around different sex couples.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers [651]
Where cast of the Naruto Universe are inserted into an alternate universe.
Essays & Tutorials [17]
An area to submit intelligent essays debating topics about the Naruto Universe and writing tutorial submissions.
 
General Fiction [1739]
Any Naruto fanfiction focused without romantic orientation, on a canon character in the current Naruto Universe.
OC-centric [865]
Any Naruto fanfic that has the major inclusion of a fan-made character.
Non-Naruto Fiction [291]
Self-evident
 
Shonen-ai/Yaoi Romance [1575]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around male same sex couples.
MadFic [194]
Any fic with no real plot and humor based. Doesn't require correct spelling, paragraphing or punctuation but it's a very good idea.
 
Shojo-ai/Yuri Romance [106]
Any Naruto fanfiction with the main plot orientating around female same sex couples.
Fan Ninja Bingo Book [125]
An area to store fanfic information, such as bios, maps, political histories. No stories.
 
 

Site Info

Members: 11985
Series: 261
Stories: 5884
Chapters: 25418
Word count: 47689150
Authors: 2162
Reviews: 40828
Reviewers: 1750
Newest Member: Redxkenny
Challenges: 255
Challengers: 193
 


Sonzai by Silvercatninja13

[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes: Just a random idea that popped into my head awhile ago...
Chapter notes: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!! ...Which was yesterday, actually. I'm now 16! Anyways, consider this my gift to you all. Cause I'm wacky like that! :3
Enjoy!

Well, isn’t this just peachy, the annoyed teen thought to herself as she stopped to stare up at the gray sky. Icy drops of rain hit her pale skin. ‘Of all the times to rain, it has to be now?!

Sighing, she walked towards the nearest tree in the small hope that there might be some form of shelter from the rain. The teen couldn’t help the faint smile that appeared on her face when she saw that the bottom of the tree looked hollowed out.

Crouching down and looking inside, she inspected it for anything potentially dangerous, but found nothing to be worried about. It was completely empty, save for some moss growing on the bottom.

Once she was inside, she curled up into a ball and rested her chin on her knees, ignoring the spatters of blood that didn‘t belong to her, while gently combing her fingers through her long obsidian hair. For the third time in her life, she thanked her small frame, which allowed her to fit into places that most people her age wouldn’t be able to. It didn’t help hold the heat very well, though, and she shivered, wondering why she had been so stupid as to leave the base in only a thin purple tank top with fishnet sleeves and shorts.

She couldn’t help but remember how she had gotten herself into this mess.

z88;

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo__Flashback__oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

“Welcome, child!” the pale man said in a sickeningly sweet voice. It took all of her willpower to resist a shudder. “I have a new task for you, and I do hope you’ll accept.”

“If I may ask, Orochimaru-sama, what is the task I must complete?” the teen asked, barely managing to keep her voice steady. This man gave her the creeps.

“Nothing too dangerous, my dear. You simply have to retrieve some information for me, most likely by using your feminine charms,” the snake informed her.

“I see. When am I to leave?” Though her voice remained the same tone, her eyes reflected her dislike at her given task. She knew that by the end, she would probably have to kill somebody, which she really hated doing. The only thing that made it bearable was the thought that the people she killed were usually bad, and they had it coming.

The snake seemed to think for a moment, when in reality, he had figured that out long ago, so he was just holding her in suspense. She very much disliked it when he did that.

“Ah, I’d say as soon as you can. The man you must target is in disguise as a farmer, when he is actually a Iwagakure nuke-nin. He will be leaving the village he is at by tomorrow morning. It takes almost half a day to reach from here if you run.” Orochimaru paused. “Do you accept this mission?”

The teen resisted the urge to sigh. She knew that she didn’t have a choice in the matter. “Hai, Orochimaru-sama.”

“Good girl,” he hissed in his snake-like voice. He gently tossed a scroll to the girl and said, “The scroll contains the details. I trust that you will succeed, child.”

To anyone who didn’t know him, it would seem as though he had faith in the teen and her abilities. To his underlings, the last sentence was an unspoken threat; a threat that Orochimaru would not hesitate to carry out.

‘You are expendable, and should you fail, you will be taken care of and replaced.’

The teen bowed respectfully. “I shall not fail you, Orochimaru-sama.”

‘I know and I accept that, Orochimaru-sama.’

“Good.” He let a look of false relief show on his face. “I expect to see you back here soon, Sonzai-chan. Good luck!”

The teen, Sonzai, bowed again before exiting the room and going to her quarters to pack. To her dislike, she wore revealing clothes that left little to the imagination. Boy, did she ever hate these missions. In her backpack, she put three small rice balls and one cup of instant ramen, along with a fairly large sum of money. She also packed a very baggy sweatshirt and loosely fitting sweatpants should she need to change before she got back ‘home’ the next day. Opting to leave her Oto headband behind, she gave herself a quick once over and deemed herself ready before leaving.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo__EndOfFlashback__oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

z88;

Well, Sonzai’s mission had gone quite smoothly. As she predicted, she had ended up killing her target, but not before getting the information from him. However, she was unnerved by that information, because it was about someone whose name she had heard many times while growing up.

The thing that she knew for sure was that Orochimaru didn’t know that.

She was from a completely different country. She wasn’t born in Otogakure or the surrounding lands. She wasn’t even born onto the standard shinobi map of the five nations. She had been born just outside of the eastern edge of that map, on a relatively peaceful and remote island with few inhabitants. She had been one of two children to be born and raised there, though her mother hadn’t actually named her ‘Sonzai’ when she was born. Her given name had been Tsukihime.

After a tsunami had befallen the island, she had been washed away to the mainland, where a kunoichi had found her. Sonzai had found no good reason to trust the stranger and had given out a fake name. When asked about her last name, she had been able to tell the truth by saying that she never knew. Her mother had never told her while she was alive.

The kunoichi had believed Sonzai, who had been about eight years old at the time. She had been brought across many lands until they had reached Kumogakure. Once there, she had been introduced to the kunoichi’s family, which had consisted of Kurokaze Takashi, the kunoichi’s husband, Kurokaze Tori, their five year old daughter, and the kunoichi herself, who was named Kurokaze Kin. They had adopted her without much trouble. They even allowed her to train as a ninja, which she had heard of but had never seen before that day.

The problem came about two years ago, when Sonzai was almost thirteen.

She could remember that day quite clearly. She had been training with Kin and Tori when someone had attacked and something in Sonzai had snapped.

z88;

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo__Flashback__oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

z88;

“Kaa-chan!” the younger child yelled indignantly, moving her shoulder length hair out of her eyes. The curly golden locks framed her face cutely and made her eyes seem even more luminous as the sun made then glow neon green. “This is too hard! Can we go eat dinner now? Pretty please?”

The older woman sighed. She shook her head exasperatedly, causing her chin-length, very light blonde hair to flutter around her face. “Not yet, Tori-chan. We’ve only been training for twenty minutes!” Kin locked her bright green eyes on her daughter. “Isn’t it your dream to surpass the Raikage in strength? You need to keep training to achieve that goal, sweetie. Right now, you can’t even beat Sonzai-chan.”

“Please don’t drag me into this argument, Kin,” Sonzai muttered. “I was planning on perfecting my fire style jutsu, not fighting one of you, especially not a ten year old brat.”

Kin sighed, ignoring Tori‘s shout of annoyance. “But Sonzai-chan, you also need to work on your defense. This is a good way to do that.”

Sonzai blinked, before drawing a kunai to fend off a barrage of senbon, thrown by Kin. “My defense is good enough. Now can I keep working on my jutsu?”

Kin sighed again, staring into Sonzai’s seemingly bottomless eyes. The sunlight was making them show their true color, which was a very dark red. Her black hair, which barely hit her shoulders, was parted in the middle to show off her newly earned Kumogakure hitai-ate on her forehead.

After a long staring contest between Sonzai’s dark red eyes and Kin’s bright green ones, Kin relented and looked away.

“Okay, okay! You may practice your jutsu… But in return, you have to spar with Tori tomorrow! Deal?” Kin tried to compromise.

Sonzai seemed to think about it for a moment before nodding. “Fine, deal.”

Kin smiled warmly. “Well, alright then! Why don’t you go --”

At that moment, a barrage of kunai flew towards the three. Kin deflected them from herself and Tori, who was frozen in shock behind her, while Sonzai caught them and threw them back the way they’d come. Looking down at the last one she caught, Sonzai noticed an explosive tag. Eyes widening, she threw it back while trying to warn the other two.

“Kin, Tori! Explosive tags!”

Kin’s head whipped up to look at Sonzai before looking at the ground surrounding her. She had carelessly deflected all the kunai so that they were surrounded, and each one had a tag on it. She wasted no time in grabbing Tori and throwing her to Sonzai.

The moment the little girl was caught, the tags went off, blowing back the two girls. Tori had hit her head on a rock and was unconscious… Or dead. Sonzai couldn’t really tell, and she was too afraid to check. Instead, she got up and faced the spot where the explosion had gone off.

Now, there was a huge crater, surrounded by chunks of rock. There was no sign of Kin; not even a bloodstain was around to suggest her fate.

Suddenly, a clang sounded to Sonzai’s left. Whipping her head in that direction, she saw a bent piece of metal, with mild charring on the edges. In the middle was the Kumo village symbol.

Feeling sick, she found it hard to stay standing. She wasn’t given much choice, though, when a panda-masked man appeared in front of her and forced her to the ground.

“Foolish women,” his deep voice sounded. “Never let your guard down before eliminating your enemies.”

“Who are you?!” Sonzai yelled in his face, seeing as she was immobilized by the man above her. She figured that even if she couldn’t beat him up, she could still make him deaf.

“Nobody of importance, young lady,” the man said almost lightheartedly. “It doesn’t matter anyways. You’re about to die, just like that woman, Kurokaze Kin. The man is already dead, and the girl is next.”

Sonzai’s eyes widened. “No! You can’t! She’s just a child, and she can’t even defend herself!”

“Hm? What’s your point?” the man responded, sounding rather confused. “I’m afraid I don’t understand your reasoning…”

Sonzai visibly paled and her face relayed her shock. “I… My point is that it’s wrong to kill children! Especially one who can’t defend herself! There is simply no honor in that!”

“Honor is something I was never allowed to have. I don’t think it wrong to kill a child, so long as it’s justified.” His voice became emotionless at the end. Sonzai noticed that his hand momentarily vanished from view before reappearing where it had been. She heard a thud from Tori’s direction.

Whipping her head to the side, she saw Tori laying in a pool of blood.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo__EndOfFlashback__oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

z88;

Sonzai’s memories were scattered after that. She remembered being able to see what she had assumed was chakra inside the man’s body. There was a flash of him attempting to attack her, and she easily dodged. The last bit was very clear to her. She had grabbed the man’s kunai and hacked his head off.

The man, who she would probably never know the name of, had turned out to be a chuunin from Kumo. He had covered up his crime well, and had led the trail to Sonzai. Most of the village had turned on her, thinking that she was the murderer. The Raikage, though, had believed her story, and she was placed under his protection for awhile. The hostility never died down, however, and about a week after the fact, people began to try to assassinate her. The Raikage dealt with them, but he still recommended that she leave the village for her protection.

And that’s exactly what she did. She packed up some food, a bottle of water, and some sentimental items, like Takashi’s and Kin’s headbands (or what was left of them, since one was missing the cloth and the other had split in half), along with her own. She also took Tori’s locket, which held a picture of the four of them.

She had only taken one step out of the village when the Raikage had appeared, giving her a katana with a purple hilt and a black blade. He had said something about not leaving kids totally defenseless before bidding her farewell and vanishing as quickly as he appeared.

About a month after that, she had found her way to Otogakure, though at the time she hadn’t known that. There, she had literally bumped into a boy called Kabuto, who had then taken her to Orochimaru, saying she was strong and would be useful to them. She wasn’t given much choice; if she refused them, they would kill her or use her for experiments. If she joined them, she would be given her own room, would not be used in experiments, and, most importantly, would be allowed to live.

All that was two years ago. Since then, she had gradually been preparing for a chance to escape Orochimaru. This mission gave her a true reason. The name, which was quite well known, was something from her past that needed to be sorted out. Orochimaru wouldn’t be expecting her back for another day, so if she left now, she might be able to successfully escape him.

Mind made up, she devised her route while she waited for the rain to stop.

‘First stop,’ she thought. ‘Konohagakure.’

Chapter end notes: Opinions?