Ghost Writer by Yumi
Summary: Neji moves in to a new neighborhood where the clan lives. However, he chooses to stay in the old family house instead of the new one that the rest of the family resides in. There, he finds that he's not entirely alone, and is asked a personal favor by his guest. . . a dead guest





Disclaimer: I don't down Naruto, the characters, or anything else you might recognize as trademarked and/or owned by someone with a lota money. . .
Categories: Characters: Hinata Hyuuga, Neji Hyuuga, Kiba Inuzuka, Itachi Uchiha, Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto Uzumaki
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, General, Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, Supernatural
Warnings: AU, Dark, Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 33247 Read: 20853 Published: 21/10/06 Updated: 31/08/07

1. Chapter 1: Moving In by Yumi

2. Chapter 2: The Old Family House by Yumi

3. Chapter 3: Hyuuga Hinako by Yumi

4. Chapter 4: The Typewriter by Yumi

5. Chapter 5: The First Time by Yumi

6. Chapter 6: Hearts by Yumi

7. Chapter 7: Secrets by Yumi

8. Chapter 8: Discovery by Yumi

9. Chapter 9: Propositions by Yumi

10. Chapter 10: Exchange by Yumi

11. Chapter 11: Favors by Yumi

12. Chapter 12: Hiashi by Yumi

13. Chapter 13: Nightmare by Yumi

14. Chapter 14: Owari by Yumi

Chapter 1: Moving In by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer is in the Summary. So there.


A/N: To let you know, this is actually a personal fear of mine manifesting itself. You see, about 10 years ago there was a horrible plane crash in the city that I live in. The plane landed about a half a mile from where I live now. Many nights when the planes are redirected to go over our houses, I hear air traffic flying through and I'm scared that a crash might happen again. If I was ever killed, who would finish my stories? Would people start to send messeges wondering where I had gone? Who out there who read my stuff would know that I had died?

I don't know why, but leaving things unfinished in that situation kind of scares me.

Anyway, I'm setting this in the present-day with solely the Hyuuga clan because I kind of wanted to use Neji somehow, and I didn't want another one-shot like I've been doing recently. So, here it is!

Enjoy!
Ghost Writer


One: Moving In




I had no desire to move to Massachusetts and leave my home in New Jersey. True, it wasn’t a radical move as my mother had done to Oregon, on the other side of the cost, but it was still a new town with new people. . . and my family.

I hated my family.

They always treated my mother and I as second rate citizens because my father had died on the streets of New York on a business trip. The reports said it was gang-related. My father had worked for the family business, which was making a lot of money off of selling a rather expensive item. Apparently, my father was trying to move some of the product to the distribution center, and ran into a group of people, who then shot him twelve times in the chest. They took the items in his brief case and took off. They never found out who they were.

The rest of the family saw this as a weakness of the family. Every one of the Hyuuga children are taught how to fight, and the adults who work for the family business are required to wear a bulletproof vest out. My father had neither fought the gang, nor had worn the required protective metal. After I turned four, my mother moved us to New Jersey and worked to raise me herself. She didn’t want me to grow up with all the animosity that the family held for us. However, she couldn’t protect me forever. I felt this hatred twice a year: during the New Year, and the summer festival. It was then that I was required to go to Boston and spend a few days with the family. Then, Hinata and Hanabi would try to spend time with me, though it was forbidden by the adults. Hanabi eventually complied with the elders’ wishes, but Hinata continued to speak with me.

All these years later, they’ve become frightened of me. Even Hinata has a hard time looking me in the eye these days. I’ve become the genus that they were afraid I’d become. Finances and business negotiations have become exceedingly simply tasks for me, even though I’m only 18. The family had given me a few small assignments, which they figured would give an intern a bit of trouble. However, I was pleased to find that these “difficult” tasks were little more than busy work for me. I know that they’re afraid that I’ll soon take over the business and possibly run it into the ground to spite the family.

As appealing as the idea is, I couldn’t do that to my posterity.

“Neji, just remember that they hardly know you.” my mother said to me as she saw me off on the plane to Boston. I had gone to visit her in Salem for a few days before going to Boston. I felt I had to for some reason. I had missed her over the last few years while she worked herself to the bone. It showed too. Her hair was prematurely graying, and her skin was slightly wrinkling and always sagging beneath her eyes from lack of sleep. Yet, she always wore a smile, which had created crow’s feet by her eyes. She had gotten more gray hairs since I had seen her last, though it seemed that she was getting more sleep these days. The dark circles weren’t clearly visible anymore. Yet, even with all her imperfections and aging, she was still a beautiful woman. I absently wondered if she hadn’t been put through all the stress of raising a son, working, and being pestered by the family how she would have looked at her age.

“I will, Mother.” I said as she hugged me. “You don’t have to worry about me.”

“I suppose I don’t, but you’re still my son. I’m obligated to worry.” she said, smiling. I would miss that smile most of all while I worked with the family. “Say hello to Hinata for me, will you? She sent me a card and some money last week for. . . well.” I nodded. Last week was my parent’s anniversary, or would have been if my father had survived. I’m sure Hinata sent it with sympathy for my mother, and was sorry for anything that her the Hyuugas had ever done to her. She was always that way, and for that, Hinata was the only one I did not damn of my relatives.

“I will.” I promised. My mother nodded, holding back tears which I knew would pour out once I was gone. “Good bye, Mother.” With that, I picked up my bags and proceeded to check them in and grab my ticket. I turned back once, seeing my mother still standing there: prim, proper, and silently crying. I don’t even know if she knew she was crying. She *was* a Hyuuga after all.




Hiashi and Hinata came to pick me up at the airport, both visibly wearing their bullet proof vests. I never understood completely why my family absolutely *had* to wear the armor. Unless they were involved with the yakuza or something, I didn’t find it necessary for them to protect themselves so. Well, considering I didn’t actually know what the family business *was*, I wouldn’t entirely doubt it if someone told me that the Hyuuga clan was involved in some sort of crime ring.

“Neji.” Hiashi greeted me. Hinata blushed and waved hello. I bowed to both of them, out of sheer respect for tradition. Otherwise, I would have never allowed myself to show that sort of humility to them.

“The family house is ready, I assume?” I asked him, a little more direct than I probably should have. Then again, I was always too direct for his taste.

“Yes it is.” he said, formally. I knew, however, that he wanted to spit out those words. I had specifically asked for the old family house, since that had been abandoned a while ago for a new mansion a few miles away. I refused to stay with the rest of the family. It wasn’t as if the rest of my relatives had a problem with that, since they hated me more than they had my father, but it required that they spend some time cleaning up the old house and restocking it with the necessary food and cleaning supplies, as well as make sure the plumbing and electrical units weren’t going to explode while I lived there. Even they weren’t stupid enough to pull something like that. “Come.”




While I sat next to Hiashi in the front, Hinata sat in the back of the car; being second rate only because she was female. The Hyuuga clan were so wrapped up in their image and traditions that even the heir to the entire family was subject to being ruled by a male-dominant household. When she married, her husband would really be the one who gained the family fortune. She would fade into the background while her husband raked in the benefits of being a Hyuuga. I suppose she knew this from the time she was young, and she felt in the same position as I was. I suppose to a certain extent she was. . . but our problems were not equal.

“Neji-niisama.” Hinata whispered, being frightened to talk to me. “May I come visit you some times?” I sat there in the front seat, wondering why she would purposely go against the clan and see me in a regular basis.

“Yes, you may.” I did not turn back to look at her, but I know she smiled a little. I had not spoken with her since the summer festival, and then it had not been long. I supposed being alone for long stretches of time couldn’t be too healthy, and Hinata wasn’t bad company. Inside, I almost was excited that she might come and visit. I quickly erased those thoughts from my head, feeling a bit strange thinking that I might actually *care* for someone in the family.

“Here are your keys.” Hiashi said as he parked in front of the old, Japanese style house with a matching landscape and gate. “To the house, the gate, the shed, and the car you requested.” I looked at the ring, finding a fifth key on it. I knew that the key probably led to nothing. The Hyuugas were also very superstitious. The number four was a number to avoid, one of the kanji readings is the same word as death. I took the keys, not thinking more of it. “The food was supplied yesterday.”

“Thank you.” I said, getting out of the car and grabbing my things. Hinata slipped into the front seat before Hiashi drove away in his sleek, black Jaguar. I watched it as it turned away, and saw Hinata looking out toward me. When she caught my eyes, she blushed heavily and turned away. I supposed that she was ashamed that she cared so much. Speaking of which. . .

I nearly slapped myself, forgetting that my mother requested that I thank Hinata for the card and money she sent. Then again, Hinata probably didn’t notify Hiashi or any of the others of what she had done. It was probably best that I didn’t blow it for her. I would thank her when she visited me next.



TBC...


**-**-**


A/N: Please review! ^__^ I’ll update sooner if I get more than two or three reviews!!
Chapter 2: The Old Family House by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Yay! I wrote stuff!! ^__^

I'm so not proud of the beginning half of this chapter. . . I was stiil freaking out that the 2nd chapter and half of my first chapter was deleted when I wrote it!! >____
Ghost Writer


Two: The Old Family House




It didn’t take long to actually move in. There were only a few belongings that I had brought with me. The rest I had sent ahead of me, which I trusted the family would put in the house. All I would have to do was a little rearranging to suit my personal tastes, and even that wouldn’t be much. Most of it was books, photo albums, clothing, and tax records. Though the old tax statements had little value here, I didn’t want those records falling into the wrong hands. Thus they came with me to Boston. From an early age, my mother had discovered my gift with numbers, and she taught me book keeping. Soon, bills and yearly taxes were my responsibility. She was so proud of me when the tax returns came. Instead of using it as most others would do, she put it away in a savings account for my college tuition. She always said that I was smart enough to go to an Ivy League college, which would be a lot of money. She even thought about sending me to California if I ever went into a medical field, since she heard that the University of California at Irvine had their own hospital facility. I ended being accepted at Harvard with a double major in Law and Business. Mother was so proud of me. . .

I set down two picture frames on my night stand: one of my mother with me at my year-early high school graduation, and the other of my father and I on a vacation to the sea shore. I had yet to find a picture of all three of us together. . . one I could remember anyway. There was only one I had found. It was professionally taken when I was barely six months old, but even there my father’s face had been washed out a bit. I didn’t need to know what he looked like, though. All I had to do was look at my Uncle Hiashi. My father, Hizashi, and Hiashi were identical twins after all. Even so, I had few memories of my father. He was usually out running errands for the family. I glared at the picture of my father, squeezing it hard enough to crack under the pressure. Why did it bother me so much? Why did the people I hate most have to be the ones that look so much like the person I loved? Was I afraid that I would begin to hate my own father?

Maybe.

I took the picture out and tossed away the broken wood and glass. I shouldn’t be so upset over something like that now. I had other things to worry about. . . like school. I hadn’t quite started yet, but I would next week. Then, all hell would break loose. I sighed as I laid flat on my new bed. I almost wanted to drop my major in Law. I wouldn’t *have* to have a degree in it anyway. The Hyuuga family business had lawyers coming out of their ears. One more wouldn’t make a difference. . . Then again, the clan would whisper rumors about that probably. If I dropped Law, I would be picked on for showing a weakness. I guess I would just have to suffer through another three years of it.

*tick*

I sat up at the noise. Tick? What was ticking? If there had been a clock in the room, I would have heard it before then, wouldn’t I?

*tick tick*

I looked around the room again. There was no clock. . .

*tick tick tick*

“Hello?” I said, keeping the slight fear I felt out of my voice. “Is someone there?”

*tick tick tick tick tick*

“Hello?!” I shouted, getting to my feet. If this was some sort of trick, it was a lame one. I walked down the hallway and to the next few rooms. They were dark and empty. “Who’s there?”

*squeak!*

A rat fell from a hole in the ceiling and scurried away. I closed my eyes and let out a sigh of relief. I was getting worked up over a RAT. I guess I would have to bring in exterminators soon. They family hadn’t done it since I hadn’t requested it. I suppose they weren’t going to do anything extra on my account, now were they?

*tick*

“Again?” I whispered to myself. Whatever. I wasn’t going to go investigate more rats.





The ticking continued for most of the day. Soon, it faded into background noise and I hardly heard it. Only when it stopped did I realize that the ticking had been going on incessantly. I woke up to the sound of it the next morning as well, which annoyed me. Anyone would be annoyed at 3:30 in the morning. I resolved that I would call an exterminator after breakfast, which I was sure to make OUTSIDE of the old Hyuuga compound.

I ended up wandering for about an hour, trying to find some small cafe or donut shop open. At 5:45, I found a Denny’s that looked half decent. I mentally shrugged. They served breakfast 24 hours a day, didn’t they? They weren’t particularly expensive either. . .

What was Hinata doing here?

I saw her step outside of the restaurant and take out a cell phone to make a call. She had a uniform on that clearly had the word “Denny’s” on it, as well as a name tag pinned to the left side of her shirt. I pulled in carefully around the back, trying to keep her from noticing me.

Did the heir actually WORK there?

It didn’t seem possible.

I waited until she went back inside before I approached the front door. Even then, I made sure Hinata was not there when I asked for a table. I was seated at the far corner of the restaurant, by a window, and I made sure that my back was turned to the seating hostesses.

“Niisama??” I heard while taking a sip of coffee. I looked up and found Hinata with a pad of paper out and a pen, ready to take my order. Her blush was so deep it looked as if she had painted it on her face. “Wh-what are you d-doing here?”

“Breakfast.” I said, stating the obvious.

“Well. . .” she said, her blushing getting deeper (if that was even possible). “I mean, why did you choose Denny’s of all places?”

“It was the only thing open.” I said, truthfully. “You work here, I assume.”

“Father doesn’t know about it.” she said, timidly. I smirked a little. No wonder she had this early a shift. “He doesn’t want me working yet.”

“You don’t have to.”

“But I feel so useless. . .”

“You’re the heir. You’re not useless until you stop being that.” I said. We both knew that was the truth.

“You won’t -”

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone.” She smiled weakly.

“Thank you, niisama.”





After she brought out the food, Hinata sat with me for a while. We touched up briefly on various things, avoiding the subject of the clan at all costs. Both of us understood the other’s desire to not speak of those matters.

“How do you like the house?” she asked. That was about as close to the Hyuugas as it got. “I was worried that maybe it wouldn’t be ready in time for your arrival.”

“There are rats all over the place.” I admitted. “I’ve heard nothing but ticking since I moved in.”

“Ticking?’

“I guess it’s like little clawed feet running across the wood.”

“I see.” she said, her browns furrowing slightly. “I guess the exterminator did a lousy job.”

“Exterminator?” I inquired.

“I called in for someone, since I knew it house would be crawling with spiders and mice.” she explained, looking down slightly and becoming very quiet. “You. . . haven’t run into any black widows, have you?”

“Just rats.”

“Strange.” Hinata seemed to be rather disturbed by it, even though she was trying to hide it.

“I’ll call someone in today. It’s no big deal.”

“I’m sorry, niisama. I wanted to save you the trouble.” I shook my head.

“I didn’t expect anyone in the family to even try once.” I said. She smiled a little behind her hand. “Hinata-sama, would you like to come over later today? I could use some help finding my belongings and rearranging them. I haven’t an eye for decoration.” She looked up at me in a bit of a state of shock. I know that was the last thing she was expecting to hear from my mouth, yet somehow she smiled brightly.

“Hai! I’ll go right after my shift!” I blinked a few times. She certainly was eager. . . I finally resolved to give her a smile before finishing my coffee and paying for the meal (leaving Hinata a large tip).




I came home to more ticking and tapping. This time, I distinctly thought I heard thick, hard clicking of a typewriter’s keys being punched in one of the storage rooms. A few hard punches would be heard, then the deafening ticking would begin again. I had called several inspectors and exterminators, but the earliest they could come out would be in two days. It seemed my guests would be staying just a little bit longer. I smirked sadistically. Maybe I could get a couple of cats and just let them run rampant around the compound. I would be rat free in a matter of days. It would be just as fast as any exterminator I could call for.

*clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack*

I turned back to the storage room which now had a vicious attack of hard-pressed clacks coming from it. Was something trapped and trying to get out? Perhaps it was one of the poorly set traps the first exterminator had set. I’d be shocked if there actually *was* a rodent desperately trying to escape inside the room. However, when I turned on the light to the room, it was empty. Well, not entirely empty, but there was nothing that looked like it would make the sound that I had heard earlier. All that was there were boxes upon boxes of miscellaneous junk. I walked in, curious of what was held here. I certainly didn’t send this ahead of me, and most everything else was relocated to the new Hyuuga mansion. What did they leave here?

The boxes were unmarked except with a name: Hyuuga Hinako. I never heard of this member of the family, thus I assumed she had long since passed from this world. What else was strange about these boxes was that they were all on the shelves that could not be reached without a step stool. The other shelves were only occupied by the dust that hadn’t been removed in three decades. Why were they up there? If anything, they were just going to be left here, it would have been safer for the boxes to be moved to the floor. If the wood of the shelves gave out (which I didn’t doubt they would eventually), the boxes would fall and make a huge mess: possibly break anything that may be in the boxes.

“Sumimasen!” I heard from the door. Hinata had come. As with many older Japanese homes, there was no door bell, nor knockers, to ask permission to come into the home. Usually, someone just yelled into the house announcing their arrival and politely excusing the intrusion. Though I had locked the gate securely, I wasn’t at all surprised to find Hinata at my door step. She probably had a key to every Hyuuga owned property in the world, and heaven knows how many properties that is. I’m not even sure myself how much land the clan owns in total, nor the other investments they’ve made elsewhere. “Neji-niisama!”

“Be right there.” I said, looking at the boxes a last time. I would see that they were inspected and moved later. Hinata could help me with that, too.



TBC...



**-**-**

A/N: okay, I finally calmed down after my chapter was erased. . . grrrrrr, I’m still mad about that!! Anyway, please review! There can’t be just one person reading my shit >__< . . .

Review o shite kudasai!! ^__^ . . . well, that's a LITTLE better T__T
Chapter 3: Hyuuga Hinako by Yumi
Author's Notes:
I know I haven't been updating much else, and I appologize for that! I'm thinking about dropping one story at least. . . I'm not too happy about the way it's working out, and I'm not sure if I want to rewrite it either. . . -__-;;

Anyway, I've finally gotten to a chapter that LEADS into the rest of the story!! Please be patient with this one. I'm still a bit uncomfortable working two new characters exclisively!!

Warning, there's a bit of Hyuugacest. I think there's gonna be a lot later on. . . but no lemon!! I think that this will all resolve itself in the end ^__^

Also! Thank you to AkiraHatesYou! She's been a great friend and loyal reviewer! And to my sis. . . for making my head so big it ca't fit through the door. . .

Enjoy! And please review!!
Ghost Writer


Three: Hyuuga Hinako




Apparently Hinata made a stop to some store, for she had bags of organizational supplies with her: collapsable bins, folders, dividers, boxes, labels. . . I began to wonder just how much she spent getting all this stuff. On top of that, there were several items that I knew were purely for decoration.

“Ohaiyo,” she said shyly.

“Ohaiyo,” I said right back , still staring at the bags in her hands. “Did you. . .”

“This was some old stuff we weren’t going to use.” she began, lying horribly. “I thought you could use it.”

“Arigato,” I thanked, taking some of the bags from her. “I suppose we can keep these in the storage for now. We can get them when we need them.” She nodded and brought the rest of the bags into the room I had just come from.

“What are all these boxes for?” she asked.

“I haven’t looked in them yet.” I responded. “Do you know who she is?”

“Hyuuga Hinako?” she read aloud. “No. . . no, I don’t recall anyone by that name.”

“Even in Japan?” She shook her head.

“I don’t think so.” she said “I-I could check.”

“Please.” I asked, taking her up on the offer. “I’d like to return her things to her.”


*clack. . . clack. . . clack*


The clacking had begun again, though softly this time. I don’t think Hinata heard it then, for she did not jump or ask what the noise was. I supposed if she had, she may have thought it was the rats I had spoken of earlier. Somehow, I doubted that however.

“Where did you want to begin, niisama?” she asked, smiling happily.

“How about the common room? I have a feeling I’ll be entertaining guests more often now.”’



**-**-**


Hinata was an amazing help, though she was still painfully shy. She was able to locate everything I hadn’t been able to find the day before, and arranged my belongings to my liking even without asking what I had thought about it. In some of her bags, there were throw pillows and blankets which had magically appeared on the couch and love seat while I had gone off to find a few books to place out. Curtains, flowers, and even an scroll painting emerged from within her numerous bags. I never saw her put up these things, since I had always managed to turn my back or be gone when she did these things, and I don’t think she wanted me to mention it. It was a funny thing about families like ours: so much was said without words or with little action. Many things were just understood. (1)

“I think it looks much warmer,” Hinata said as I hung up a small mirror on the wall. “I like it.”

“I do too.” I admitted. Having started out as just a room with a few stark pieces of furniture, the place was downright comfortable now. I thought maybe about painting it later: maybe I’d use that stippling technique and make the walls a warm copper color.

Hinata opened a window and tied the new curtains back to let in the sunlight and fading summer breeze. I noticed she paused for a moment, looking outside and admiring the pampered landscape. I almost scared myself thinking that this was one of the first times I had actually looked at her. Not that I had ever avoided her face, but I had begun to see her features differently. Her distinctly Hyuuga eyes were full of light and hope, unlike so many other Hyuugas. She was the last of the innocent ones. Perhaps that why I thought she was beautiful. . . She turned to smile back at me.

“It smells like it’s going to rain soon.” she said. “Maybe I should get going. Chihiue doesn’t like it when I’m out in the rain.” I nodded. The head of the family would always be over protective of heir. They couldn’t have the family left in the hands of a second son or daughter.

“You could stay here, if you wanted.” I found myself saying. I blinked once, then twice. Had I just said those words? Why was I inviting Hinata to stay? She blushed heavily before hiding behind her hand again.

“I suppose I could. I’ll just give Chichiue a call.” she said, turning to go get her phone in the storage room.

I was glad she left the room. I wasn’t sure how much I could keep my cool composure in front of her. There were several things about what just happened I did not understand. Words do not just fall from my mouth without my permission. Though I had entertained the notion for a fleeting moment, it was not enough for me to act upon. So, why had those seven little words been spoken as if I had meant every one of them? Then. . . why had I just admitted to myself that I thought Hinata was beautiful? True, I knew she had inherited some of the better of the Hyuuga genetics, but I had never put “Hinata” and “beautiful” in the same sentence. Ever.

“AHH!” I heard Hinata cried. I rushed to the room, finding her in the dark and clutching her head.

“Hinata-sama!” I turned on the light, finding a box had fallen on her. I knelt down to inspect her head. There was already a lump swelling where she had been hit. “Daijobu?”

“I think so.” she said. “Something hit me.” I turned my gaze to the box, the contents strewn all over the floor. I looked upward to where the box had fallen, thinking maybe one of the particle board shelves had given out. However, nothing had been broken. In fact, I couldn’t find where exactly the box had fallen from. There was still a solid, single row of boxes which were collecting dust, forgotten.

*clack... clack... clack clack... clack clack clack clack clack. . .clackclackclackclackclackclackclack*

Hinata heard the clacking this time, and she jumped, hugging me. I felt a heavy blush flash on my face when she did.

“Wh-what is that?” she asked, shaking. I put an arm around her, trying to comfort her.

“It’s nothing. I’ve heard it before.”

“Those a-aren’t rats.” she stated. I hugged her closer, not knowing what else to do in this situation.

“I know. It sounds like. . .” It was then that I saw what exactly had fallen on Hinata. Buried underneath the hundreds of papers was an old, electric typewriter. There still seemed to be a blank sheet of paper in it. . . and it was moving. I felt my heart begin to pound hard against my chest, and I hoped Hinata was too frightened to know that it was my own heart that was heating so loudly. She might have run out of the house screaming if she knew that there was a typewriter that was somehow working on its own. “It sounds like the air conditioner backing out. I imagine that it hasn’t been replaced with a newer model since the house was abandoned. I’m not at all surprised that there’s a noise from it.” Hinata looked up at me.

“You’re sure?”

*clack clack. . . SHING!*

I cursed whatever was pulling this trick that the page a run out of room. Hinata turned around to find the typewriter busily punching the keys away. She stared at it, with the awe that I had when I had first seen it. Her hold on my clothing tightened a little.

“Neji. . .” she said, burying her face in my clothing again. I felt just about as brave at that moment.

*clack clack clack clack clack clack clack clack . . . tick. . . crank crank crank. . .*

The sheet fell to the ground softly.

Was I supposed to pick it up?

I reached out my hand to touch the yellowing parchment. . . and it flew hard into my hand.

The paper had become slightly wrinkled upon impact, but it was still readable.



And somewhere in that moment - in the fog, in the loneliness, in the fear she had tried to suppress so deeply within her - she realized the world around her was

To the Hyuuga who now resides in what used to be my home:

My name is Hyuuga Hinako. I was a writer, artist, and musician: everything the clan is not. I was murdered many years ago - nearly 30 I believe - and I wish to extend a welcome to this deserted place.

However I have a favor to ask of you.

In my belongings there are many stories which I wanted to publish, and one I have not yet completed. I want to finish my story before I pass on. I need your help.

Though I can type without a body, it takes a great deal of effort and strain to touch something physical. Most of us do not do so because we shall quickly fade away into nothingness. However, I have to finish my story, and I am willing to risk fading a little if only to gain more from it. I need to borrow your body. I will do no harm to it. I only need to use it to finish the novel I have been unwilling to let go of.

If you believe these foolish words and will help me, set a new piece of paper in the typewriter tonight. I shall find it later tonight and disclose the details of a body possession to you. I must rest before I disappear altogether.

Hyuuga Hinako




I stared at the paper again. Hyuuga Hinako was a writer? Why was she murdered? Why hadn’t anyone heard of this woman’s death? Was this the reason why the Hyuugas moved away? . . . Why did she want ME to help her?


TBC...


**-**-**

A/N: Wow, I finally got to the good part!! Again, I’m not too proud of the beginning of the chapter, but the rest of it was absolutely stunning!! (but that’s just my delusional opinion ^__^)

Sorry for the cliff hanger! I don’t usually write cliffys, but I had to for this one!! I’ll be sure to update soon!!


Notes:

(1): the Japanese are masters of Silent Communication. A man by the name of Peter Payne (worker of JList.com) pointed this out in one of his mass letters to those who subscribe. After thinking about it, I found it to be a very strange truth. There are a lot of things I know that are ever said aloud, but there are subtle things (even the “feeling” of the room) that will give it away. It’s hard to describe something you’ve grown up with, sorry!!

Ohaiyo: Good morning

Chichiue (that’s Chi-chi-oo-eh): [one’s own] Father. It’s a very VERY formal term.

Daijobu?: Are you all right?
Chapter 4: The Typewriter by Yumi
Author's Notes:
I officially hate school. It's keeping me from thinking about better stuff. . . like writing fanfiction all day long. . .>___<

Anyway, this one is kind of transition into the next chapter. I DID need the second half of the chapter (and it DOES feel like it's been chopped in half), but I still don't like it much. . . It's hard to juggle the romance aspect and the actual storyline all at once. . . Next one WILL be better, I swear it!!

FYI:

Itallics from now on are things that are typed by Hinako

" Italics with quotations are things that are typed by other people." . . . I'll indicate who it is, or it will be inferred.

Thanks!! Please reivew!!!
Ghost Writer


Four: The Typewriter




Hinata and I had quickly gotten out of the room and into the kitchen. I sat her down and got an ice pack for the lump before discussing anything else about the letter, which was still crumpled in my hand. I felt so badly for Hinata. She was still shaking from fear. I wished that I could have erased that typewriter from her memory. . . from mine was well, perhaps.

“What is the paper?” she asked, much more quietly than any of her words before. I handed the letter over to her. “Niisama, this isn’t a joke, is it?” she said, more of a statement to be confirmed than an actual question.

“No, I don’t think so.”

“But who is she? I’ve never heard of her.” I shook my head.

“I don’t know.”

“A-are you going to. . .”

“No,” I said, snapping a little. “There’s no reason in it.”

“But. . . what if it’s the truth?” she asked, looking downward.

“I wouldn’t trust an anonymous ghost taking over my body. Besides, she hurt you.”

“I know that.” Hinata whispered. “But I can’t help but feel. . . sorry.”

“Sorry?” I inquired.

“I don’t know.” She squeezed her eyes shut and took the ice pack from her head. I sighed.

“Why don’t you go home for today? Hiashi is already going to yell at me for letting you get hurt once.”

“I’m okay.” she said, looking up a little. “Honestly.” Her hands were still shaking a little. She wasn’t completely okay with everything that had just happened. “Actually, I’d like to take a look in the library. I’m sure we can find a family tree: maybe something on Hinako.”

“Are you. . . sure?” I asked. Was she honestly thinking about letting this ghost write through her body? Or mine?

“At least we could find out if there’s some truth in it.” Hinata said, standing up. “I know that there’s a few books on the family here. Hiori-sama left them here.” Hiori, our grandfather, had been the one to leave this house for the new mansion. However, why would he leave such important documents in an unused house, where it is subject to theft and fire? There would be no record of the family if the books suddenly disappeared. I shook off the thoughts and followed Hinata into the far east wing of the house.



Though it took several hours of searching, we found several records of the family. Much of the history itself was vague, but we managed to find out exactly who this Hinako was. She was one of Hiori’s younger sisters and made to be a branch family member as I was. It says that she was very different from the rest of the clan, taking up interests in the arts and less in the family business. She lived in the Hyuuga mansion most of the time however, usually locked up in her room doing something. No one really knew what she did, for her occupation was blank. She did manage to make some decent money to live off of, and it wasn’t granted by the family fortune. Hinata assumed that it was from her books she published, however I wasn’t so sure. There was no indication that Hinako *ever* published a novel.

“Well, at least we know that this isn’t a lie.” Hinata said, putting the book with Hinako’s information down. “It does say she died suddenly about 30 years ago.”

“By heart attack, but she claims to have been murdered.” I said, pointing out Hinako’s letter to us.

“True, but why would the books have written something different?” she asked. I did wonder about that myself. Then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if the books were a little different than reality. They were, again, always concerned about appearances. A murder in the family would not be a particularly glowing mark in their eyes.

“I don’t know.” I admitted, closing my eyes. “I wish I did.”

“Are you going to let Hinako. . . well, you know. . .” Hinata trailed off.

“I’m not sure if I want a ghost taking over my body.” She nodded and stood up and put her hand over mine. She smiled a little.

“You have a little time to think about it.” she said, blushing a little at the contact. She let go and wandered back into the kitchen. I let out a slow breath. Too many confusing things were going on at one time. . . a ghost in my house, Hinata in my head. . . I thought it was something out of a poorly written novel or something. Why was everything happening at once? And why. . . I didn’t exactly want to say I was falling in love with Hinata. She was my cousin, and I had never harbored those kinds of feelings for her or anyone else in the past. I didn’t want a relationship in my life just yet. . . maybe in the future, but not now. I had never thought that there was the possibility of Hinata. . . I shook off the thoughts again. One problem at a time. This ghost problem came first.




I stayed in the library for the rest of the afternoon, and the rain Hinata had smelled earlier had come pouring down hard. I paid it no mind while I searched more intimately through the manuscripts held in the room. There had to be more on Hinako than just a small profile with a bunch of informational holes in it. She was, after all, sister to the head of the clan. Even though she was a branch member, she would still have much more written about her than the others. Direct descendants and siblings usually had very detailed, accurate descriptions around somewhere. It was strange that everything we had found before was vague and general.

The next thing I knew, I found a cup of hot cocoa and a biscotti sitting on the table next to the chair I had been sitting at. Hinata, however, was no where nearby. I hadn’t heard nor seen her come in, and her departure was just as quiet. I guess she thought I needed something to take my mind off of Hinako for a while. I smiled a little and put the books to the side as I enjoyed the drink and snack, silently thanking her for it. Hot cocoa tasted best during the rain. . .


**-**-**


That night, I stood in the doorway while I held the blank paper in my hands, staring at the typewriter on the floor. Hinata was beside me, a hand to her mouth and the other to my sleeve. She was just as apprehensive about this as I was, though we had both agreed to take the chance with this ghost. Our family was fill of superstitions, many about the dead. What if this was a demon looking for a host body? My mother used to tell me some of the family legends, many in which demons played a large part. I didn’t believe them until then. I didn’t want to, but a strange emotion consumed me: fear. It seemed that I was going to be getting more and more acquainted with that foreign feeling in this house. . .

“Neji,” Hinata said. “Please turn on the lights. I-I’m getting spooked.” I gladly complied. Not only had I become scared of the room itself, the brewing thunderstorm outside was not making things better.

After carefully moving around the scattered, aging papers on the floor, I placed the paper into the heavy machine. My hands shook a bit while I did so, and even more as I cranked the sheet down to where the top of the page was. I stepped back to where Hinata was standing, trembling, and I put an arm around her shoulders.

We waited.

Then the keys began to move.


Thank you.


I nodded, hugging my cousin closer to me. Both of us were shaking, and the touch was the only thing that was remotely comforting.


Again, my name is Hyuuga Hinako. You are?


I blinked once as I read the paper. Was I supposed to type my name? If the ghost had been able to hear, she would already have known my name, right?

“Are you going to. . .” Hinata asked, trailing off at the end. I nodded, taking her handing and leading her over to where the typewriter lay.


My name is Hyuuga Neji. My cousin is Hyuuga Hinata, the heir to the clan.


Greetings to both to you. The ghost typed. I assume you have agreed to this favor I am asking of you. Thus, I shall explain the Possession Process.

As I understand it, I must take over a body of the same gender as I. I presume since Hinata is with you, Neji, that she will be the one I posses.



Hinata and I looked at one another. Hinata’s eyes were much wider than they had been.


The Possession is simple: I just take over your body by entering it. I can only take control if you are willing to let me going into your body. Your soul and consciousness will be suppressed for a period of time while my own takes over. I will have complete control of your bodily functions, and I will feel pain, hunger, and pleasure. You needn’t worry about me doing any harm to your body, for I will feel the pain, not you.


Hinata let out a sigh of relief. Not that she really needed to worry in the first place. I would never let anything happen to her while Hinako was in her body.


I can only stay in your body for a maximum of 2 hours. Your own soul will expel me from your body after 2 hours time.

Do you agree to this?



Hinata caught my eyes again, worrying about the unknown. I was partly worried myself, though I’m sure not as much as she was.

“Well?” I asked. She knew what I was asking. I had no say in the matter anymore. This was no longer about me helping Hinako accomplishing her dreams. It was about Hinata being taken over by another soul so suddenly. Hinata closed her eyes and buried her face into my chest.

“I’m afraid.” she whispered.

The typewriter began to punch slowly.


Trust me.


I just didn’t know if we could.



TBC...


**-**-**

A/N: okay, another cliffhanger. It’s late and I’m getting creeped out just a little. . . I swear the house ghost doesn’t like to leave me alone >___< Anyway, please review!! I appreciate every one of them and I WILL respond!!! ^__^
Chapter 5: The First Time by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer's in the summary. Sue me not. . .


A/N: okay, I have YET to schedule a conference with the Plot Bunnies about what they're doing to my brain, but it's in the works!! I'm honestly trying to update more than just this fic. . . or writing new ones. . . anyway, here's Chapter 5

Hope you enjoy! Please review ^___^
Ghost Writer


Five: The First Time




“I can’t believe it.” I mumbled to myself once Hinata had left. She hadn’t wanted to, but once the rain had lightened up, I had insisted. There was no way that I would have let her spend the night here: not with Hinako around. I fell back into one of the blue, cushy chairs in the library and reran the event that just occurred almost an hour ago.

Trust me.

I didn’t want to trust. Hinata was shaking so hard. . . Nothing good could have come out of this. This ghost could have made the whole thing up, or been misinformed. . . so many different possibilities ran through my head, I’m not sure I remember them all.

Trust me.

Hinata had peeked at the typewriter with one eye, reading the text over and over again

“You don’t have to.” I told her. She said nothing to me in return, only continued to hold me close to her and look at the messege to us.

Trust me.

Slowly, Hinata’s arm uncurled from her hold on me and reached out to the ancient machine. I think I stopped breathing for a moment as I watched her type with her left hand, punch by punch.

I agree.

I let out a shallow breath as I read over and over again the two words Hinata had typed. Her slender hand lingered over the keys for a moment before they began to move again.

Thank you.

I shall see you tomorrow.

Oyasumi nasai.



The keys had stopped typing, and the paper fell softly to the ground. Hinako had used up the very last few spaces on the page. Neither of us picked it up. We just sat there, unmoving, feeling relieved that it was over, and yet still apprehensive about what was to come.

“Neji-niisama,” Hinata whispered. “Did I do the right thing?”

I didn’t know.

“Yes,” I said, hugging her close. “You did the right thing.”

I wondered how many more times I would be able to hold her if this deal turned for the worse.



**-**-**


It seemed I had passed out in the chair in the library that night, for I woke up to a knock at the door at about 9 the next morning. I hadn’t realized I had slept in that late. . .

“Dare ga imasuka?” I asked, trying to fix my appearance in case it was one of the family members come to check up on me. They did that all the time when I visited in the past.

“Your Ojisan.” Hiashi said. I sighed and opened the door, finding only my uncle at the door.

“Yes?”

“Hinata tells me she was here during the storm.” he said, calmly and without any emotion.

“She was here.”

“I have to say I’m disappointed you did not send her home immediately.”

“It was her wish to stay here.” I retorted. There was a fine line between what was right for the heir and what her wishes were. Though it was not in much use anymore, this was still a family owned property. She would be safe during a storm here, and since it was her desire to stay, I couldn’t exactly disagree with her. “I thought that would be a sufficient excuse.”

“I noticed she was somewhat jaded when she came home.” the man said. “May I inquire as to what she did to make her so tired? She claims it wasn’t anything important to mention.” I restrained myself from glaring at him. He wouldn’t come right out and say it, but I knew he thought that I had done something to her.

“If you would like to come inside, I can show you what we had accomplished while she visited.”

“Accomplished?”

“She helped me arrange a few things around the house. We didn’t do anything spectacular, mind you, but it was enough moving to have tired her out, I’m sure.” Hiashi looked past me and into the living room. He did see that the furniture had been moved around, and there were new additions which he knew had not been there before.

“I see.” he said. “I’m sorry to have bothered you. I was worried that perhaps she was keeping something from me.”

‘You have no idea.’ I thought. “Is there anything else you wanted to inquire about?”

“No,” he said, nodding his head in a slight bow. “Good day.”

“And you.” I said, shutting the door and sighing. Hinata really was a horrible liar. I know she meant well by keeping Hinako a secret, but if she could have just come up with something else. . . I supposed I couldn’t exactly blame her. Hiashi was actually a very intimidating man. It took me a few years to stop fearing him, let alone be able to be “blatantly rude” to him. Hinata would never say anything but pure honesty to him. I was amazed that she managed to at least feign tiredness. Speaking of tiredness. . . I was going to go back to sleep for a while. Chairs were *not* meant for sleeping in. . .



Hinata came over at about 2 that afternoon with a ream of paper in her hands. She didn’t appear afraid of what was about to happen to her. In fact, she almost looked forward to it. Maybe at some point she had come to terms with her decision she had made the night before and felt at ease. I wasn’t. It still bothered me that were were blindly trusting a ghost. . . literally.

“Konnichiwa, niisama.” she said, smiling. “Have you heard anything from Hinako-san?”

“Not yet.” I admitted. That was the other thing that had been on my mind. We didn’t know when the possession would take place. I was nervous that we would not understand what was going on, and both of us would panic. If the Possession took time, Hinako and Hinata’s souls might be stuck half in, half out of Hinata’s body. “We should probably find a way to contact her soon.” My cousin nodded. “Here, I’ve set up the typewriter in the kitchen.”



As before, the typewriter already had left a messege for us when we arrived. It stated that Hinata was to sit at the machine and have her fingers on the home row whenever she felt she was ready. The Possession would only take about half a minute to complete. After reading the paper, Hinata switched out the sheets so that there was a fresh paper in the typewriter. She then sat down as confident as if she had been prepared to do this from the very beginning. I wondered if this was just the perfected facade all Hyuuga women wore to hide their emotions and feelings from the family, or if she was genuinely confident in herself.

I hesitated as her fingers landed on the keys.

The air in the room stood stiller than a tomb as I waited for something - anything - to happen. It was killing me to just stand there and watch, helpless.

10 seconds had passed before I saw Hinata’s eyes close and her hands fall limp. Though they were still resting and positioned on the keys, they looked lifeless and cold. Her already pale skin lost and and all color it ever had, making her sickly and almost yellow.

5 seconds to go. . .

She hadn’t taken a breath in 25 seconds.

Wouldn’t her body function on it’s own even if her soul was being suppressed?

What if she suffocated?!

Hinata gasped for air as life came back to her. I let out a sigh of relief. I hoped this wouldn’t have to happen each and every time, and that this would go more smoothly later on when all three of us got used to this whole process.

“Hinako?” I asked hesitantly. The girl’s eyes turned to me and she blinked.

“Wow, I can hear. . .” she said. Though the voice that I heard was Hinata’s, the tone that was coming out was anything but. It was boisterous, demanding, and without any inhibitions. It startled me at first, hearing something so welcomigly familiar, yet so offendingly different at the same time. “It’s been so long since I’ve been able to hear and smell and feel.”

“Do you like it?” I asked, not really knowing what to say to that. She smiled.

“it’s different than what I remember, really.” she said. “Especially the air. I don’t quite recall this amount of muck hanging in the air.”

“It’s actually very nice today. The rain washed most of the smog away yesterday.” I admitted, knowing how much pollution there could be on some days. She sniffed.

“Typical. The Hyuugas have made more a mess of Boston since I was alive.” she spat out angrily. I blinked in confusion. We were not the ONLY family in the city. There were hundreds of other people who contributed to the destruction of the ozone, not just the Hyuugas. “You’re from the main branch?”

“No,” I replied. “My father was the Head’s younger brother.”

“I see. Hinata is the heir, then.” she said, looking at the body she was in. “Well, I must say she’s weak. She’s not nearly as strong as I was.” I felt a little fire start growing in me. What was with this woman? It was one thing to hate the family, but Hinata. . . I don’t think even I was capable of hating her. “Aw, she likes you!” she said, laughing.

“What do you mean?”

“I can see into her thoughts while I’m in her body, just as she can see into mine.” she explained. “She was terribly frightened this morning. Hinata was worried you might freak if you thought she was too afraid to do this. She’s still worried about you.” I sighed. So Hinata *had* been afraid. I was the only thing that was keeping her from showing it.

“Is she all right?” I asked. Hinako nodded.

“She’s fine now. Her soul was spazing when I first tried to possess her, and her body stopped breathing.” she said. “Now that I’ve taken control, she’s fine>”

“Thank you.” I said. “I’ll leave you to your work, then.”

“I have one more things to ask you, Neji-san.” Hinako said, her voice becoming gravely serious. “I’d like you to investigate my death.”

“You died of a heart attack.” I said. “That’s what the papers all say.”

“I was murdered!!” she insisted. “Someone came into my room and carved my heart out! And that was AFTER severing my arms and legs!!” I raised a questioning eyebrow. “I swear it’s the truth.”

“Even if it IS the truth, the Hyuugas have covered it up. There would be nothing for me to follow up on.”

“There has to be something.”

“It’s been 30 years.” I retorted. “There couldn’t be.”

“Hinata has given up her body to let me write. You have given nothing, and YOU were the one I asked.” I glared. Though she spoke the truth, I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that Hinako had planned it from the beginning; probably from the moment she found out Hinata was close to me and was going to be a regular visitor.

“I’ll see what I can find out, but I don’t guarantee anything.” Hinako gave me a sly smile and then turned to her machine, saying hello to an old friend.


TBC...


**-**-**

A/N: Can you believe I wrote this all during English after a test? It’s amazing!! ^__^

lol, please review!!

Notes:

Oyasumi nasai: Good night

Ojisan: Uncle. No, it’s not grandpa. That’s OjIIsan, and yes there IS a difference

Konnichiwa: Good afternoon

** Oh yes, and I know that “welcomingly” and “offendingly” aren’t real words (at least I don’t think so. . .), but you get my drift. . . lol, neither is “spazing” according to my computer dictionary ^^;;;
Chapter 6: Hearts by Yumi
Author's Notes:
YAY!! I'm really liking this story!!! It's practically writing itself!!! *shifty eyes* I swear sometimes I feels like it has a life of its own. . .


ANYWAY. . . this one's short, and I had a filler in the middle of something I wrote 2 years ago after I had a freaky dream. Forgive me!! >__< The next one will pique your curiosity, I swear!!
Ghost Writer

Six: Hearts





Two hours passed and Hinako slipped easily out of Hinata’s body. My cousin’s soul returned to the front without complications, safely, and apparently tired. Though it seemed she had done little during the process, the Possession took a lot of energy and strength from her body. I didn’t trust her to drive home that fatigued and asked her to stay in one of the guest rooms to rest. She didn’t seem to have any objections to that.

“Aw, she likes you!” Hinako had said. That one quote alone stuck like glue into my memory. I didn’t know exactly why either. Maybe it was the fact that some one in the clan actually care about be as a person and not as a threat. . . or maybe. . .

I shook out the thoughts again. Why I would always stray on the thought that our bond was anything more than platonic continued to puzzle me. It couldn’t be anything like that. . . I didn’t want it to be. . . but it didn’t seem too wrong, either. No. Nothing romantic could ever come between us. It’s not even legal.

Even laws couldn’t keep my thoughts away, though.

I took the liberty of putting Hinako’s papers into a new file to keep myself busy and my mind off of Hinata.

Hinako was actually quite good.


The forest: everyone feared it. Not that there was anything to be afraid of, I thought. What’s one forest compared to another? We all grew up with fairy tales of happy woodland creatures and handsome princes who would meet his love in those very same woods. However, those who would tell us these fantasies forbade us from playing within a hundred feet of that mystifying forest. Even now as I write this as an old woman, I am still drawn to it as I ever was.

As a child, I lived as close to the forest as anyone dared to go. Though my backyard was endless, I was bound to the grass between the wall and the small gate “protecting” my home. Many times I would sit by the fence and stare in awe of the phenomenon before me. The trees were taller than anything in town, and it was always dark. The darkness had never frightened me, thought it scared my parents. Sometimes I would even see something moving between the trunks of the trees and branches. Likely it was a deer or bird I saw, but my parents feared it was a monster.
“What kind of monster?” I would ask. My parents would never answer.

Then I turned fourteen: rambunctious, defiant, and moody. There was nothing in the world that could defeat me! After another argument with my mother, I climbed the fence in my Sunday Best and ran into the forest. However, before I stood one foot past the barrier of trees, a strange feeling took me. It wasn’t a feeling that I was accustomed to having. In fact, fear was something that I never felt. Something moved in the corner of my vision. My senses came alive, and I froze like a doe caught in headlights. What made me so afraid? There’s nothing but those happy fairy tale creatures in there. However, my mind refused to believe it. It would be a while before I would go back to the woods.


It seemed she was revising an old piece of work for I found older papers nearby with similar words. This version, however, had much more detail and mystery to it than the original text. In fact the revised edition appeared written by an entirely different person. I supposed 30 years of nothing else to do would do that to a person. . . or maybe Hinata had influenced it? Hinako had stated that they could see into one another’s consciousness. Maybe Hinako had consulted my cousin while writing. I smiled at the thought. Hinako had her own editor sitting right beside her.

The typewriter began to punch letters again.

You know, she really does like you. Hinako wrote to me. More than the conventional ways friends and relatives love one another.

I paused. Why was Hinako saying - typing - this?

I sat down and began a new page.

What do you meant by that?

Com’on Neji! You’re a smart boy. . . Hinata LOVES you!

We’re cousins.

Did you know that the Hyuugas try to keep their blood within the family? she asked. Ever wonder why your eyes were different from everyone else’s? Why they’re white? It’s because there was so much incestual marriage that the color from our eyes have disappeared.

We wouldn’t be very smart nor healthy if that were the cause.” I reasoned. The gene pool would be too small for that, and many of our children would be dead or deformed. That had to be a lie.

What color are your mother’s eyes? she asked as if she already knew the outcome.

Brown.

Ah, now you see how the family keeps the gene pool from shrinking to nothingness. Some of the Branch families will marry off their sons to others. The child keeps the name, but has a different set of genetics. That, and usually the branches of the family become so large that uncles and nieces are able to marry because they are from different branches and are so close in age.

Why are you telling me this?” I asked. I thought Hinako hated the Hyuugas. Why would she be pairing up the heir and I?

Hinata is a sweet girl. She means well, and she cares about the people of the clan, not just its prosperity and survival.

Did she tell you?

Indirectly. Hinako stated. She sent your mother some money and a sympathy card, didn’t she?

I sighed. Since we had been side tracked by the ghost in my new home, I had completely forgotten about that.

You should have a little chat with her.

And say what?

Blame me that you know. After all, I have nothing to loose really. I was about to type my protest, but Hinako took over the keys. Now, I have to go. My fingers are beginning to fade.

I sighed and took out the sheet of paper, tucking it away in my pocket. Hinata didn’t need to know this right away. But maybe Hinako was right: I needed to talk to her. It seemed that both of us had entertained thoughts of a romantic relationship, but had never done more than that because of the laws prohibiting it.



When Hinata came out from the room, still a little sleepy, I asked her to sit down for a bit; that we needed to talk. She agreed and started asking me about what happened while Hinako had taken over her body. I supposed she thought that’s what I wanted to discuss with her. I kindly answered her questions, though I didn’t make eye contact with her. She eventually stopped and asked what was wrong.

“I talked with Hinako a little afterward.” I said cautiously. I didn’t really know how to break it to her that I knew one of her deepest secrets. “She told me that she’s able to see into your mind, and you are able to see into hers.”

“I suppose I do know more about Hinako than I did before.” Hinata answered. “What does that have to do with. . .?”

“She said that you. . .” I sighed. I didn’t want to hurt her, but. . . we needed to talk. These tense feelings couldn’t go on forever. “You held certain feelings for me.” Hinata’s body froze, knowing exactly what I meant. She sank back into the chair and looked away.

“Oh, I see.”

“I don’t hate you for them, if you think that’s what I’m going to say.” I said, knowing she was fearing rejection at any moment. “I haven’t exactly stayed off that possibility lately either.” Her eyes lit up a little, though she still didn’t look at me.

“I did some research about the family. It seems that in Japan it’s legal for first cousins to get married if they choose to.” she said. “Most of the marriages are done there, or in the other few states that allow it, and there’s a lot of it in the Hyuuga clan. I don’t know why, but,”

“Hinata.” I interrupted. “Are you sure you want it, though?” She hugged herself and closed her eyes.

“I don’t know. I was never allowed to really explore love. Chichiue was always looming over me. I. . . I don’t know how I should feel.” I smirked at that comment a little. Hyuugas weren’t allowed to feel. The fact that she would be openly shy was practically insulting by the clan’s standards.

“I guess I’ll have to let you explore some, ne?” I said, getting up and putting the piece of paper with Hinako’s words down beside Hinata. “If the family is all right with you loving the black sheep, I’ll let you.” She looked down at the paper, not knowing what it was, then looked up at me and nodded shyly. “Only if you want to.” That went in two directions. She didn’t have to read the paper, and she didn’t have to love me. I wouldn’t hate her for either decision. She smiled and pocketed the paper.

“Doomo, Neji-kun.” she said. Inside my heart was beaming.


TBC...


**-**-**

Notes:

First off, for those of you who didn’t get that last part (and I’m sure there are some of you who didn’t), that was the first time Hinata had used the suffix ‘-kun’, which is what someone would use for a boy whom they were close with. It’s informal. No more ‘-niisama’ (older brother); it was her quiet way of saying she had made up her mind.

Doomo: Thank you (very informal). Another little way of saying that the hierarchy of the family wasn’t going to matter if they were going to be seeing one another. ^^
Chapter 7: Secrets by Yumi
Author's Notes:
yo. . . I'm so sick right now I could just puke (I won't though. . .). Anyway, since I'm sick, I finally got around to typing out 10 out of 16 pages worth of "Ghost Writer". . . ^^;; That yellow legal pad of mine is getting a work out!! Also, forgive me if there are dropped capitalizations or letters. . . It's late and I know there are things I need to go back and correct later. . .

Anyway, this is REALLY long. . . it's 10 typed pages and 20 hand written ones. . . I'm really proud of this chapter too! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read everything!! I know it gets a little boring with all the italicized work, but if you don't read it, the chapter will NOT make sense!! I tried not to put unnecessary stuff in there. . .

OH! And for this chapter stuff that has at least one sentence in italics is journal entries. . . not Hinako's marvelous typing. . .

And last but certainly not least, I really really really want to thank Akira-chan for being my number one loyal reader, reviewer, and friend, and to Shreeya for telling me this should be a book. . . That actually gave me a kick in the pants to work on another novel I've been working on for the last year but came to a huge wall about 6 months ago. . . Hopefully I'll be able to finish, edit, and send to publishers. . . maybe I'll have a book for you all to read! ^__^

Thanks! Enjoy!
Ghost Writer

Seven: Secrets



It was a little strange at the beginning. In the mornings I would have breakfast with Hinata at the Denny’s she worked at between her serving orders, and eventually we would discuss various topics which interested the both of us. Mostly politics and humanitarian ideas, actually. I found it surprising at exactly how much Hinata talked when she wasn’t around the other members of the family. I supposed the clan expected her to be quiet and reserved, just as all Hyuuga women were expected to be. In front of me, however, she no longer had to act. I admit it was quite nice to have a decent conversation with her.

“Ja mata ne!” she said as I walked out of the restaurant. I smiled and nodded, knowing I would see her later in the day. Hinako had spoken to me (through Hinata’s body), and we decided it would probably be better if she finished her novel before Hinata began school again. After all, each Possession required a resting period afterward. Hinata would likely fall behind in her classes if these writing sessions went on throughout the year. Thus, each day Hinata would take the afternoons to visit. I didn’t know how exactly she got around that - I hardly believed Hiashi would let his oldest daughter see the infidel of the family daily - but I hadn’t questioned it.

Until then.

Hiashi stood outside of the restaurant, a cold look in his eyes, and had two personal guards with him with equally menacing looks. My uncle had no such eyes for me, however. I watched him look at one of the waitresses through one of the painted windows: Hinata

“Neji,” Hiashi said, turing his gaze to me. “Good morning.”

“Good morning, Jisan.”

“It’s odd finding you here.”

“I wasn’t particularly in the mood to cook breakfast.” I retorted.

“For the last week, too?” he asked. My eyes narrowed. “Or is it because you enjoy your company while you eat?”

“And if I do?”

“She’s no supposed to be working, Neji.” I raised a questioning eyebrow, pretending I hadn’t known before.

“Sou desuka? She’s certainly capable and eager to.”

“She doesn’t need to.”

“She wants to.” I said. “She even told me she feels useless.”

“She is the heir.”

“Is that all she is?” I asked, then bowed. “Good day.” I was mildly proud of myself for shoving this words back into his face, but at the same time I was ashamed. I had told Hinata that her use was being the heir to the clan. Not that I believed it now, but I had still said that. I wonder how many other times the clan has told her that.

I didn’t leave right away, sitting in my car and waiting to see what was going on. It appeared that the conversation between them was calm, though I’m sure the words weren’t. Hiashi was one of those who rarely lost his temper, but would warn you with a slow, steadily increasing burn. That type of anger is the most frightening, especially for Hinata. Eventually, as I saw it, they came to some sort of agreement. Hinata took off her uniform apron and pin, putting it on the cash register counter and speaking briefly to the manager. So, Hiashi had made her quit. Sighing, I pulled out of the drive way, knowing I would likely hear about this later when she came.





“So, what have you found out?” Hinako asked me, typing busily her hand-edited copy of several sheets. She sat straight upward, giving me a snippy attitude even if her voice didn’t given that away. “Anything about my death?”

“Nothing yet.”

“You haven’t done anything yet, you mean.” she said, punching the keys harder. “Why haven’t you done any searching?!”

“I already said that there couldn’t be anything to be found.” I reiterated, making some lunch for the both of us. “If the clan didn’t want their tracks to be discovered, they won’t be.”

“My brother wasn’t perfect, you know.” she said, glaring at me. “I’m sure there’s someone around who can give you a pointer.”

“Who? If you know something I don’t, then by all means do tell.” I spat.

“Try your father.”

“He’s dead.” Hinako stopped typing for a moment, taking in what I had just said.

“I see.” she said, continuing to make a copy of her work, though less intense this time. “What about your uncle? Hiashi, was it?”

“He wouldn’t tell me anything even if I begged on the ground.”

“Hmmmmm,” she said thinking. “I wouldn’t trust the records. They’ve been tampered. . . well, actually there would be one.”

“One what?”

“One record. There are several volumes of records that have the history of the clan as it was, and not how it was cleaned up to be. You’ll find that there are a lot of dirty little secrets that the family has.”

“You’ve seen these volumes?”

“They are kept solely by the Head of the Clan. . . hmm, Hinata? Do you know?” Hinako asked aloud, looking up the corner of the ceiling. I raised an eyebrow when she asked it. I thought Hinata didn’t know what was going on. “It seems that she has knowledge of some sort of vault that she hasn’t been allowed to enter yet. That may be the place where the volumes are kept.”

“Are you saying that I should go and break in?”

“Or you could have Hinata bring you there. She is almost of age, and she’ll need to know where everything is.” she reasoned. “She can just make sure no one catches you discovering the truth.”

“How exciting.” I mumbled, turning off the stove. “And if we get caught?”

“You’ll likely be punished for it, possibly even disowned.”

“Gee, I have nothing to loose do I?”

“Not really.” Hinako said, following up on my sarcasm. I may not like the family, but it was a security for me as well as my mother: especially my mother. She was barely making enough on her own to support herself. Since my father had died, the family sent her a couple hundred each month, which would pay for the food on her table and little else. If they disowned me, they would likely stop sending her money, since she had no blood relation to them. I was the only tie connecting them to her. I didn’t want to risk it, but. . . maybe it was worth the chance. Maybe I could find out how they depicted my father in those records instead of the “official” ones they released.

“I’ll go as soon as I can.” I promised. “Maybe tomorrow.”

“Then I won’t expect Hinata to be here?”

“I’m not sure. You’ll know if she comes, though.” Hinako nodded and went back to her work, satisfied that she had accomplished in convincing me that these records needed to be found. I didn’t think she had really convinced me to look for her. Rather, she gave me an incentive to look. I set the plate of food next to her and left to take another look at the books we had found earlier.


**-**-**


“This way.” Hinata whispered. It only took her two days to wheedle the information out of her father, and on the third morning - about 2 am - she picked me up from my residency to take a look at the vault that was in the other “house” that the Hyuugas owned in Boston. It was smaller and older: shack-like really. However, it stored every volume of history the Hyuugas tried to keep secret. When we arrived, all she had to take with us were a couple of flashlights and a slip of paper with the vault combination. “I’ll go first.” she said, opening a rotting china cabinet back to reveal a retina, hand, and voice scanner as well as a set of numbers with which a code was to be given.

“Will I be allowed in?” I asked. She nodded confidently.

“The security system isn’t that smart.” she answered, giving the scanner her eye to examine. “Besides, even if it didn’t let both of us in, you could go in there pretending to be me.” I nodded, letting her give the machine the rest of her information. Once security passed, the wall opened up to a long set of winding stairs leading far downward. So everything was kept underground. It made sense, though. Even if the house itself burned or was robbed, everything would be protected here. It also explained why documents were just left out anywhere in the other family owned homes.

“If you don’t mind being a look out,” I began. She shook her head and handed me a flashlight.

“Kio tsukete.” she said, turning around to watch for anyone who might come in.


The stair case downward was about fifty steps, enough that I could hardly see anything at the bottom. Then again, I had poor night vision. Hinata might have been able to see the bottom without too much of a problem. Half way down, I could have sworn I heard something echoing from the outside that sounded like a car engine. However, when I looked up at Hinata, she didn’t seem to be worried about it. I assumed I had perhaps just been too worried and my imagination was running wild. I clicked on the flashlight and kept on descending toward the records.

It was hard finding what I was looking for at first. So many things were written in different languages on the spines, though its contents were all translated into English. It took me a bit of searching and deductive reasoning to figure out how this library system worked. Unlike the Dewy Decimal system, all these records were kept by the branch of the family, the year, and, if necessary, the position of the individual to the family. After nearly a half hour, I found something that had caught my eye, which had been something that Hinata and I hadn’t found at the Hyuuga complex I lived in. . .

“Chichiue!” Hinata cried. I quickly turned off my flashlight and looked up at the top of the flight of stairs. I barely could see a figure walking toward Hinata in the doorway.

“You disappeared again this morning.” Hiashi said. “I thought perhaps you had gone back to work.”

“No, I hadn’t.” she said weakly. Hiashi looked down into the vault.

“Why were you here?”

“I-I-I wanted to look for something. I had a strange dream last night.” she answered. “It was something about Hizashi-jisan.” Hiashi froze at the mention of his dead brother’s name, but kept looking downward. I stood still, wondering how far they could see into the winding pathway down into the vault. I hoped it wasn’t far. Hiashi would kill me if he found out I was there. . . possibly Hinata as well.

“Come, Hinata.” Hiashi said, closing the door behind him. “You can come back later.” I wanted to shout at them, fearing I might be left there for good, but I knew better. Hinata would find a way to come back and take me from my newly formed prison. I just had to wait out the period.

I turned the flashlight back on, going back to the dusty book I had picked up. I supposed this gave me an opportunity to take a good look at the records without fear of being discovered. Probably I could give all these books a good dusting too. . . I flipped to the back of my grandfather’s journal and began reading.


December 7:

I made a horrible decision today. Hizashi knew about it too. He told me blatantly I had wronged the family by doing so, but I just told him it was in the best interest of the family company. The business has been shadowed by this new source of technology. These silly computers are taking up the jobs of skilled workers whom have done much more than just college to get where they are. Everything we do we have done for generations by hand. There is no reason to fuse our ways with that of technology. There’s no way we can even if we wanted to. Hizashi thinks otherwise. He believes that computers will make our business grow. He pointed out that the interns aren’t coming in knowing how to manage things without a computer and that the company is slowly shrinking. I admit the interns are dim whited compared to those of the past, but I see this as their wake up call. They can learn from us what those idiots they call “professor” will not teach. I announced that the Hyuuga company will not accept the donation of computers and printers that the rising Uzumaki organization offered.



I thought about the name of the computer company. Uzumaki: that was the label on every computer I had ever used at the Hyuuga compound. Didn’t Hiori just say that he didn’t accept the donation?


January 3:

Hiashi and Hizashi seem to have formed some sort of pact. I know that Hiashi will never say some of the things Hizashi argues with me about, but he thinks them. Hizashi also knows about things he shouldn’t. I think perhaps that the heir is slipping Hizashi that information to use against me. I fear that these little secrets may be leaked out to the other branches of the family, and we might set family against one another. This must be taken care of.



The last three words had been traced over countless times for some reason. I wondered if perhaps he had been thinking of how he would take care of my father, Hizashi.


January 15:

I did it finally. It’s done. Hizashi’s funeral will be held next month.



That’s all that was written.

I dropped the book on the small table I had been sitting at, and then tried to make sense on it. I remember my father’s funeral was held in the winter; On a Sunday I think, but. . . what day was it? It couldn’t have been in January! My grandfather had died in January. . . unless. . .

I picked up the book again and flipped to find the next entry.


January 17:

Hizashi has “gone missing”. There has been an investigation going on for the last day or so. There has been a passing thought that some gang related murder in New York had to do with Hizashi, but no one has yet to fully investigate it. I let them believe what they want. The man in New York was carrying some of our products on him, as well as drugs, and was shot to death in the middle of the street. The body could not be identified completely, thus since Hizashi went missing about the same time, they believe that this man was my son. We’ve just played along as if nothing unusual had occurred.



So, that was it. . . Hiori had killed my father.


I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather lately. Hiashi speaks of my illness as if he had been waiting for it to happen. Perhaps he was. After all, he has been ready to take the role as the Head of the Family for some time.



Gee, was that all he could say after he had admitted to murdering his own son and using some other crime as a cover up?


January 20:

I’m in the hospital now. They say I’ve had some sort of slow poisoning. I didn’t see how that could have happened. No one but the cooks have entered the kitchens, and we have trusted them for years. There’s no way they would do anything after all this time.


January 21:

I spoke with Hiashi today. He almost seemed pleased with my condition. I wonder if he’s the one who has been lacing my food with poison. He’s the only other one who would have been able to do it without anyone’s knowledge.



I smiled, feeling a bit of gratitude toward my most hated uncle. Hiori was getting his just desserts by suffering a slow death. That was the last entry of Hiori's journal. I assumed he died soon after.

I sighed, somewhat angry and somewhat relieved. I finally felt a sense of understanding about my father’s death, but there was no way I could forgive the family now. . . at least not the ones who knew the truth. I vaguely wondered how many actually did. . . It wasn’t many probably. . . I then turned to the earlier pages of the journal, hoping for something else that might give me some clue to Hinako’s alleged murder.


May 14:

I haven’t thought about my sister in a while, Hinako. She came out for the formal family dinner tonight. It’s the first time I’ve seen her in about three years. Strange, isn't’ it? She lives across the hallway from me, yet I never see her. She’s much paler than any of the family is, and that’s saying something since we all have unnaturally pale skin. Her hair was messily kept, and it seemed she had been getting little sleep. Her eyes were drooping and dark, and they were seeping with anger. I don’t exactly know why. Perhaps it was because we forced her to come out of that cave she called a room. our mother had bought her a suitable dress and pair of shoes for the occasion, thought it looked more like a hand-me-down Flapper outfit that had definitely seen better days. Hinako, altogether, looked like a wreck. I think maybe she wanted it that way. She always put down the rest of the family as rich, stuck up pigs. Maybe she was proving a point.

Father had her sitting away from the rest of us, which hurt my mother and I. I know she had practically been erased from all knowledge of the family, but Father should not have encouraged this thought. She was still part of us, and I tried to slowly coax Father into seeing this. He refused, claiming Hinako was born into the wrong family. I didn’t understand how he could say such a thing, even if it was only to me.

I tried to talk to Hinako before she disappeared into her cave again. However, while I talked she just stared. Her eyes could tell me more about her thoughts than even her flowery words could. I even stopped mid-sentence – mid-word – when she turned around and looked at me dead in the eyes. It seemed that she knew more than I did at that point. I continued to try to ask her to make more appearances with the family, but her eyes told me blatantly that she would not. She then asked me when I would take over the family. Heck if I knew. Probably, it would be when Father died. . . she laughed at me when I told her that. Then she said “it may be sooner than that.” I didn’t understand.

May 15:

Last night we heard screaming from Hinako’s room. Father told me to take Mother down into the basement in case something was happening to Hinako that might injure either of us. We waited for hours before Father came down and told us that my sister had died. My mother did not weep then, though I know she is doing so now in privet. When I asked what she had died from, Father did not say. He said that he had called in a coroner and that her body was being searched for the cause of her death. He then immediately forbade me from entering the room in which she died. I understood somewhat. The family is still very superstitious, and I think he fears I might die as well. I still want to go and see Hinako for myself, even if it isn’t in the room itself.


May 20:

Hinako’s funeral was today. Father went ahead to make sure everything was in order, and Mother went to her sister’s house to mourn. She’s been doing that the last few days. It’s truly a shame that Hyuuga women cannot show emotions openly as other women are able to. Thus, in the privacy of the Branch House, she has been pouring out her soul alone.

Before the funeral, I was left alone (as alone as I could be being the Heir) and was given an opportunity to sneak into the closed room that had been my sister’s. For some reason, I was drawn to it. Maybe I felt that there was something else there that Father hadn’t mentioned. The coroner claims that Hinako suffered a heart attack and was screaming in agony and for help when it happened. I think otherwise. After visiting her room, I’m sure of it.

There was blood everywhere; it practically painted the entire room. I nearly was sick at the sight of it. The window had been bolted shut and the curtains were shut to cover the horrors inside. I dared not enter it, afraid for some reason. Maybe it was that I thought I was seeing some illusion out of our family superstitions. Hinako was never “part” of the clan. She was just too different. Maybe this was her spirit getting revenge for not being accepted by the rest of us. Another part of me shouted that Hinako had been victim not of a heart attack, but of another person. That would explain the blood and the screams, but not why Father insisted upon the heart attack theory. . . or why the coroner had reported it. I left soon after, not wishing to be caught in a place I was not welcome.



All right, this confirmed Hinako had been murdered, but there was still nothing about who did it. I figured that Hiori’s father did not want to be perceived as weak or unprepared, thus he probably paid off the coroner to sign the papers with Hinako’s death as a heart attack instead of a murder. I wondered why Hiori hadn’t thought about it at the time. . . Then again, Hinako had said her brother wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I read several more uneventful entries before giving up on Hiori's journal. I figured there must be other books upon which I would read about the same incident. . . perhaps it would fill in the blanks Hiori left.


May 14: The Family Dinner

- Hatsu announced engagement to Nara Kyumi
- Hinako is present
- Latest news of Hana’s health: terminal
- Hiori due to become Head of the Clan in a few months
- Hired help with Hinako



If this wasn’t labeled “journal”, I would have mistaken it for some kind of events list. Hiori’s father, Hakaku, had written each entry as cold and flat as he likely was. However, despite the fact that he didn’t make a big fuss about the details of that evening, there were things that disturbed me about it. Who was this “hired help”? And when did he make up the decision that Hiori would take over the family in only a few month’s time? Didn’t Hiori already express that he didn’t know when he would become the Head?

“Neji-kun?” a voice whispered down to me. I looked up, seeing the door to the vault opening and Hinata calling down to me. “Daijobu?”

“Hai,” I said, pocketing the two journals. “And I think I’m going to need our help just once more.”


TBC...


**-**-**


Notes:

Kio tsukete: Be careful (literally "go with care")

Daijobu: are you all right?

Hai: yes

** I am going to use the last names of other Naruto characters in this fic, but I don't think that the characters themselves will show up.

Thanks for reading! Please review!! ^^ My endorphen (sp?) count will sky rocket. . . meaning hopefully I'll get rid of my head-cold. . . lol
Chapter 8: Discovery by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer in the summary. Don't sue me because I own nothing, and I don't pretend to either. . .



A/N: I'M BACK EVERYONE!!! ^_____^ yay! anyway, finals are over with, and I'm back to writing!! So. . . for this chapter, I KNOW it's not exciting. . . I'm not going to appologize for this. It's a very necessary chapter, especially when it comes to the forbidden relationship between our two favorite Hyuugas. . . Erm, I don't like the title either. I know there are several discoveries in this chapter, but honestly. . . they weren't the discoveries I wanted. There's one other one which I though I was going to get to, but never did. Stories have a life of their own, and they command the writer to going in whatever direction it pleases. Thus, we're taking a couple of detours before heading to the end. . . Sorry!! ^^



Enjoy!!





Eight: Discovery


“Oh? You found something?” Hinako asked me. I told the ghost that I needed to speak with her and that again she would have to wait to write. For this, Hinako smacked me once before I had the chance to explain. “Well, who did it?”

“I haven’t found out that much.” I clarified, rubbing my sore cheek. “All I know is that your father tried to cover it up and your brother saw your bloody room.’

“And?”

“Not much else. I have more digging to do, however–”

“Then why tell me now?” she interrupted, glaring at me.

“You’re part of my digging process.”

“Oh,” she said, crossing her arms. “Well, what do you want to know?” I pulled out Hiori’s journal and turned to the page where he discussed the dinner Hinako attended.

“It claims here that you spoke with Hiori the night of your murder. You didn’t say much: only asked if he knew when he would take on the role as Head.”

“What about it?” she asked, hesitant.

“Did YOU know? Hiori claims you indicated that it may be sooner than he thought.” Hinako sat back and thought about it.

“The night I was murdered? Hmm, I knew that our father was planning to pass the torch soon and it was a month after my death that he did. . . it’s been so long since then. . .”

“Do you remember anything?”

“I had actually conspired against my father,” she admitted. “I don’t remember exactly when – things tend to mull together when you’re dead – but that may have been it. ”

“You wanted to kill your own father?!” I asked, not understanding just how far she would go.

“I was a second, no THIRD class citizen in his eyes! I had no gifts with numbers! I was a creator, not some fool who plays with someone else’s toys and rules! I never loved my family! Even my half whited brother looked down upon my life! He continually dragged me out to be with people I hated!”

“Have you ever stopped to think maybe he cared about you?” I asked. Hiori’s entry about that dinner wasn’t openly caring, but there was enough description for me to understand he did not want her appearance with them merely because she was supposed to appear. He did it because he wanted the best for her.

“He didn’t, trust me.” Hinako said. I sighed, knowing I was not going to get far like this.

“Can you recall what the assassin looked like?”

“Down to the last detail.” Hinako said.

“Then please,” I said. She nodded and closed her eyes.

“His skin was as pale as my own, possibly more so considering he probably only worked at night. He didn’t cover his face or hands, almost as if he were used to the feel of blood. The man’s raven black hair matched his equally cold, dark eyes, which were large yet had tapered points at the ends. My god, those eyes I remember. They were so blank, yet I could feel coldness and impending doom in them.” she said as if she were writing a novel. She shook her head and smirked. “His nose bridge was high, though it almost didn’t exist on his face. His lips were thin and chapped, and they had a small scar on his left corner.” She then stopped and looked at me, puzzled. “You aren’t suggesting he’s still alive, are you?”

“No, but perhaps I can search through police reports or look for this man’s composite.”

“He likely changed his appearance.”

“I’ll sneak back into the vaults and look for the papers. I’m sure there was some type of contract that was signed.”

“Why didn’t you look for that first?”

“I was a bit preoccupied with those.” I said, pointing at the journals. “And I got locked up once already. Hinata and I both thought it best if we just left for now. If we needed to, we could always go back.” Hinako somewhat glared at me. Maybe it was because she thought we had been cowardly, or maybe because it was a reasonable excuse and didn’t like it. Either way it was selfish.

“Then you will pursue this further?”

“You cornered me into it. Of course I’m going to pursue it.” She smirked a little.

“Seems the family’s changed a bit since I’ve been around.”

“Don’t think I’m doing this solely for you.” I interrupted. “I have an incentive to dig deeper into the family’s past.”

“Oh? And that would be?”

“Your brother killed my father.” Hinako raised an eyebrow.

“He’s too stupid to have pulled off something like that.’

“Why don’t you take some time and read your brother’s journal? You might learn a thing or two.” I said, standing to leave. Hinako grabbed my sleeve to stop me from going anywhere. “Yes, ma’am?”

“What happened to my father?” she asked, staring at the books as if they would eat her alive. “My mother?” I shrugged.

“Hakaku renounced his title to Hiori and I presume he died a natural death. Your mother followed.”

“You don’t know that for a fact, though.” she assumed, more as a question than a statement. I put a hand to Hinako’s shoulder, making her eyes come off the journals.

“Read them.” and I left.




An hour later I came back and found Hinata’s body lying on her side, practically passed out on the couch. The journal that had belonged to Hiori had fallen from her hands onto the floor, and the other book hadn’t been touched. I took the blanket that was resting on the back of the couch and laid it on her. Picking up the journal, I took a look at the last page she had left off on. It was the entry before the dinner, which had been written nearly two months before Hinako’s death.

March 2:

Chichiue received a package today. It was just addressed to the Hyuuga compound, and not to anyone in particular. It was a commission for a painting of the current Head of the Uchiha Clan. Father nearly shredded it when he read the letter and details. I managed to save the commission and deliver it to the only other person it could possibly be addressed to: Hinako. I guess she was sleeping when I delivered it, for she did not answer when I knocked and I had to slip the commission underneath the door just as I had done with all the other commissions she had been receiving lately. I didn’t understand how people knew about her and her talent. She’s confided to her room 24/ 7. I never see her out even to eat. . . I wonder how she survives like that.



“Neji?” I heard Hinata say sleepily. She had just woken up, and seemingly confused.

“Sleep well, koi?” I asked. She blinked a few times, probably still half asleep. “Hinata?” I loomed over her. Her cheeks looked a tad red. Maybe she had gotten sick? “Daijobu?”

The next thing I knew, Hinata had wrapped her arms around my neck and had pulled me down for a kiss. It honestly took me a moment to realize what had happened, and when I had it took me another few to make a decision about what to do. This was the first time Hinata had ever made a motion to show her affection in more than just smiles. Should I back away, or should I let her continue? It felt rather. . . pleasant? Well, it was better than any kiss I had received before, that’s for sure. . . It was Hinata who then pulled away looking at my face. She smiled.

“Well, I’d say you’d better practice for Hinata. She’s going to be disappointed if that’s how you kiss.” I blinked.

“Wait. . .”

“Hi!” she said, smirking at me.

“HINAKO?!?” I shouted, falling backwards on my rear. Hinako was the last person I expected to find kissing me. She laughed at me and my state of shock.

“You have no idea how dumb you look right now.” she said. I glared. “Aw, are you going to hurt me now?”

“No,” I said. If I hit her, Hinata would feel the punch later when Hinako left her body. “Why did you–”

“Kiss you?” she finished for me. “Hinata’s been wanting to do that for years.”

“Years?!?”

“How long do you think she’s had a crush on you?!” she shouted. “It wasn’t just overnight!”

“That still doesn’t explain why you used her body to. . . do that.” I said, ignoring her comment.

“Neji, I know you’re busy with my burden and the family, and soon you’ll have school to occupy your time as well, but don’t rely on Hinata’s faithfulness. Did you know she’s already turned down a more than willing suitor? He’s from a family of veterinarians: smart, funny, bold, and rich. The Hyuugas might marry her off to that family because it would benefit them. Do you understand that?” I blinked a few times in semi-confusion. When did this happen? Hinata never told me this. . .

“You think she’ll agree to marry this man?” I inquired, not believing much of it but asking anyway.

“Think of it this way: You will forever be her cousin. This boy will not always be there. She could have both of you if she wished it.” I thought it to be a tad perverse a thought for Hinata, but Hinako had a point. If Hinata was forced into this marriage, it would not be half bad. I would always be there, whether she decided to marry me or not. Hinata could agree to it if she wished it.

“I’ll think about it.” I said, blushing and glaring at the same time. Hinako smirked.

“Good, because I want to see you two tie the knot someday.”

“Why? I still don’t think I understand it.”

“You’re good for each other, and you’re both doing me a huge favor.” she said, leaning back on the couch. “If Hinata can change the clan the way she wants to, then I have to problem helping her out in any way I can, which includes making sure she marries you.”

“How does she want to change the family?” I inquired. Hinata hadn’t told me her plans for the future, and this seemed like a good opportunity to find out.

“Not that I told you this but. . .” Hinako began, trailing off a bit. “Well, she wants to dissolve the hierarchy in the Hyuuga company. You know how only certain members of the family can get powerful, high paying positions? Well, she wants to make the company based on merit and not birthright.”

“I see.”

“And that’s just the beginning.” Hinako said, smiling. “She wants to mesh the branches of the family together. All that animosity between the lower branches will hopefully go away. . . and people like me who don’t appreciate mathematics and logic won’t have to be shunned away as if we had the plague.” I nodded. So, Hinata had been planning this the entire time. . . to think there was a time that I believe all of the Main Branch Hyuugas were the same. Hinako smiled at me. “You know, Neji-kun, I think you and Hinata should go and confront Hiashi.”

“What?!” I asked, aghast that she’d suggest something like that.

“I think so!” she said, excitedly. “Honestly, you should give Hiashi the shock of a lifetime! Tell him you want to marry his daughter. . .”

“No.” I said. “No one is to know about our relationship until Hinata has taken over the family. She’ll be free to do as she pleases then, and no one will be able to stop her.”

“You want to take care of Hiashi, then?” I glared, knowing full well what she meant by ‘take care of.’

“You may be willing to kill your family, but I’m not. I may hate them, but I refuse to go that far.” Hinako rolled her eyes.

“If you insist. . . you’re going to have to wait a loooooong time, then.”

“I’m patient.” I said. “I’ll wait as long as it takes.” Hinako kind of shrugged and looked away. “Did you find out anything interesting in the journals?”

“That my brother was more of a fool than I thought.” she spat, glaring back at me. “And I remember that dinner you spoke of.”

“Who was the ‘hired help’?”

“Some guards who were supposed to keep me from doing anything stupid in front of the family.” Hinako stated. “It was just a ‘precaution’ my father took.”

“You saw them?”

“They were in every room!” she said. “Of course I saw them!!”

“Anyone you think may have been involved in your murder? It would be easy to pass as a security guard and find out everything about you.” The woman crossed her arms, thinking seriously about the question.

“Hmm, there was one rather talkative guy. . . but he didn’t want to know anything about me. He liked politics and foreign affairs.”

“No one?”

“I’m thinking!!” she yelled. “The only person I can think of may have been this one really fat guy who kept looking at me funny.”

“What did he do?”

“It was like he was trying to predict my moves.” Hinako said. “Kinda like those Uchihas do.”

“Uchihas?”

“They were a prominent, rival family. I guess we used to be one gigantic family at one point, but that branch of the family split off a long time ago. I guess they’re not as big as they used to be or something seeing as you don’t know who I’m talking about.”

“If they were rivaling the Hyuugas, perhaps that’s who killed you.”

“They loved me, though.” she said. “They kept sending me commissions for portraits of their family. Hakaku never liked it, but I snuck out and earned money mainly through them. They would have no reason to kill me.”

“You’re sure?”

“Pretty sure.” she said. “Unless there was someone else paying them to do it.” I sighed, not understanding how I was ever going to solve this. “Look them up and ask for their records. Maybe they have something there.”

“I guess I’ll have to, won’t I?” I said, shaking my head. This was going to be a long, exhausting process it seemed. . .



TBC...

Chapter 9: Propositions by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer is in the summary. . . you no sue me. . .

Okay, this one is (again) not what I had originally planned it to be. I had meant for the title to be "revelation" because I didn't get to what I wanted in "discovery". . . yet once again I managed to beat around the bush and find a new detour that will (hopefully) get us back on track!!

Anyway, this is 8 pages long (single spaced!). . . so don't complain about what happens at the end. . . and don't you even THINK about skipping to the bottom!!! It ruins everything for you!

Please review!! I may get the next chapter up sooner if you give me a review. . . ^^
Nine: Propositions




“Uchiha Sasuke, I presume?” I said. He nodded as well. I had reached the only Uchiha in the USA, who was here for his schooling, to inquire on Hinako’s behalf. The vibes between us were just awkward. It was strange from the get-go, really. Our families had not been in real contact for well over 30 years (if you counted Hinako’s contact with them), and since then the Uchihas had suffered a terrible misfortune in their business affairs. It would have been reasonable for the Hyuugas to swallow the Uchiha business, yet they hadn’t. Thus, in retrospect, we were equals still. Yet, I knew there was an underlying tone of mistrust and hate on Sasuke’s part.

“Yes, I was told you have a proposition to present?”

“Yes, but this is not in any way connected to the Hyuuga company.” I explained. Sasuke raised his eyebrows.

“Oh?”

“It has something to do with our families.” The boy froze for a minute, thinking about what I had said, and then nodded.

“Please have a seat, Hyuuga-san.” he said, sitting across from the small coffee table. “Tea?”

“No, thank you.” I declined, wondering why he was being so formally friendly suddenly. “May I begin?”

“Whenever you feel ready.”

“Thank you.” I said, taking out a manila folder. “It has recently come to my attention that, though our families were rivals, the Uchihas had contact with one particular Hyuuga within the last few decades–”

“Hyuuga Hinako.” Sasuke finished. I raised a questioning eyebrow. “Her signature is on all the recent portraits of the Uchiha family heads and of several other members as well.”

“Then you must know of her untimely death.” I said. Sasuke nodded.

“Yes, I’ve heard several complaints from my father that it’s unfortunate she was not still alive to paint my brother and I.”

“I see.” I muttered. “I’ve also heard rumors that some branches of the Uchihas are mercenaries.”

Were mercenaries.” he corrected. “The only members of the Uchihas left are my brother and I.’

“I’m sorry.” He shook his head.

“Please continue.”

“Yes. . . Do you have records of those who have contracted the Uchihas to assassinate others? Or a list of those who were murdered? I have reason to believe someone hired a lower branch of the Uchiha clan to assassinate Hinako.”

“Why would. . .?”

“I’m not asking for reasons why someone would want her dead. I’m just looking for who did it. I would simply like to check. If you do not trust me to look through your records, then I kindly ask that you look through them.”

“What exactly are your reasons, Hyuuga-san?” he asked, very suspicious now, and with good reason. If I were in his shoes, I would have felt the same. I sighed, not knowing how to exactly explain the situation.

“Uchiha-san, so you believe in ghosts?”

“No.” he said flat out.

“Neither did I.”

“Did?”

“Until I moved to Boston about a month ago.”

“What? Did you see one?” he asked, almost accusingly.

“Seen, felt, and talked to one.” I said. Of course he didn’t believe me. “She was murdered about 30 years ago.”

“You talked with Hinako, you mean?”

“In a way.” I said. “She types as a form of communication.”

“Types.”

“Yes.” I said, confidently. Sasuke was still unconvinced. “Believe it or not, that is exactly my reason for investigating.”

“You expect me to believe that one?”

“No, but it is my honest reason.” I said, hoping my tone would make up for my lack of evidence to inquire about his family. Sasuke’s eyes seemed ot be searching for something ni my posture or face which would tip him off to a lie or ulterior motive. I knew there was none when the boy sighed and picked up a cup of tea.

“I’ll see what I can find out for you, Hyuuga-san.” he said, closing off any more negotiations for this topic. Inside, I smiled victoriously.

“Thank you, Uchiha-san.”

“I won’t guarantee anything, however.” he said, looking me dead in the eyes. “I’m not the heir, you see, and there are things that can only be accessed by my brother.”

“Would your bother be willing to help?” I asked.

“I’m no longer in touch with him.” he said, curt. “He runs the family company and I just go to school.” I was confused for a moment until I remembered that Sasuke was Hinata’s age: only a year younger than I was. He was still a senior in high school.

“You must keep in touch with him somehow.” I probed. “Your home if very elaborate and elegant, and I’m sure you don’t earn your own money–”

“He sends me money, but that’s all.” I sighed a little. It seemed there was a lot of animosity between the two surviving members of the Uchihas.

“I see. Unfortunately I cannot stay much longer. Please tell me when you have found the information?”

“Of course.”



I wish I could have said I was more concerned about what was going on with Hinako and her murder than anything else, but I wasn’t. I couldn’t stop thinking about that suitor Hinata had turned down. What was I supposed to do? I didn’t want to expose our relationship, thus I could not do much more than be around her and care for her. Hinata knew this. I was certain about that much. Yet, I still felt that she wanted something more than just the company. Even Hinako had said that Hinata had been wanting to kiss me, but would not act upon those desires.

“Hinata,” I began, having her help me go through more records and scrolls we had taken from the vault earlier that afternoon. “Would you like to move in with me?” I asked. Perhaps it would make things easier for the both of us. She wouldn’t have to make excuses to come see me, nor worry about driving home tried, and I could find a way to show some sort of affection without going overboard.

“Move in?” she asked, a blush screaming loudly on her face. “Chichiue wouldn’t approve.”

“Does he really have to?” I asked. She was seventeen, almost eighteen. In a few months, she’d legally be an adult and could be on her own.

“Well, it would be better than running away.” she said, putting her hand to her lip.

“Tell him you want to get away from your suitor.” I said, only half knowing the reaction I would get when I told her that. Hinata’s eyes grew wide and afraid.

“W-w-who t-told you?” she stuttered.

“Hinako mentioned I might want to pay attention to your life at the Hyuuga mansion.” She turned away and sighed.

“Inuzuka Kiba is from a family of veterinarians. They’re very good at what they do, but. . .”

“But?”

“He smells like dogs.” she whispered, blushing. I smirked. Was that her reason for turning him down? I was sure that wouldn’t be a good enough excuse for Hiashi. “He still tries to come around and ask me for a date, but I. . . I can’t stand the way he smells.”

“Nice guy, though?”

“Fairly.” she said. “He’s much too boisterous for me.” Well, that was a little more valid reason, but it still wasn’t going detour her father from a possible suitor.

“Does Hiashi-sama approve of the match?”

“Not really, but he thinks it would benefit the family if nothing else.”

“Any others?”

“There’s Hyuuga Neji.” she said, smiling. I felt a little more relieved at that.

“Then you’ll consider moving in?”

“I’ll pack as soon as I get home.” she said, blushing but still smiling. She looked so beautiful when she smiled. . .


*AHEM!*


Hinata and I both looked over to the typewriter, hearing it clack again to get our attention. Hinata put the scrolls down and sat at the machine as she normally did. Hinako wanted to know what was going on and, more importantly, to work on her story. I watched while Hinako’s soul took over Hinata’s body to make sure nothing went wrong, as I always did. It still half scared me that Hinata might not come back.

“So!” Hinako said, pulling up her box of rough drafts and searching through papers to retype. “How did your Uchiha adventure go?” I sighed and began to explain what had happened with Sasuke and the possible records that may or may not exist. “More strangers than brothers, huh?” she said.

“It seems to be that way.” I confirmed. “If those files are kept secret from all but the heir, we may never solve this.”

“Is there any way to get in tough with the elders of the Uchiha clan?” she asked. I shook my head,

“It’s only those two left.” I said. “I did a little more digging this morning and found that everyone of the Uchihas were murdered except Sasuke and his older brother. They were in England at the time.”


“Who’s his older brother?”

“Uchiha Itachi.”

“Is there a way to get in touch with him?”

“Possibly, but I won’t until I hear from Sasuke.” Hinako sighed at my decision and began typing again.

“Why? There’s no harm in having insurance.”

“I don’t want to seem pushy. That may lead them to believe that I’m searching for something else.” I reasoned. She nodded.

“I suppose, but you may want to hurry up.” she said. “Hinata’s getting restless.”

“Restless?” I asked.

“This digging business needs to be over.” Hinako said, sternly. “Hinata loves you, but you’re not spending time with her. Neglecting someone you care for could be the same as saying you hate them. She won’t say anything to you because she knows you care. However, if you drag this out much longer–”

“I get your point, Hinako.” I said, cutting her off. She turned to me with soft, sad eyes: eyes that I had never seen on her before.

“There’s nothing more beautiful, you know? A pair of lovers together.”

I turned away and walked out.




“I’m sorry to say nothing turned up in the files.” Sasuke said. He had called me up the next day and said he would like to talk to me again that afternoon.

“Is that all you needed to say?” I asked.

“However,” he continued. “There was something I thought you’d find interesting.” I was then handed a journal, very similar to the ones I found with the Hyuugas’ history in it. “This has the mon(1) of the Hyuuga clan on it.”

“Hyuuga?!” I said, shocked. I took a look at the small circle stamped into the leather-bound book. It indeed was the mark of my family. “Why. . .”

“It’s the Uchiha record of the Hyuuga clan. There are several volumes full of the history of your family. This one contains the incident you spoke of, and I’m somewhat inclined to believe you now. However, I don’t understand how you could possibly believe my ancestors murdered Hinako.”

“I don’t, but I’m just making sure.” I said, looking at the record.

“There is claims that the Hyuugas were involved with the yakuza.” Sasuke said, making me freeze. The yakuza? Why wa a strict, honor-bound family like mine connected to the yakuza?? Did that mean I would have to. . . talk to a yakuza to find out who killed Hinako?!? I refused to go that far!!

“How involved?”

“We don’t know.” another voice said, very similar to Sasuke’s voice. A taller man with long black hair, tied back in a low pony tail, with pale skin and ice cold eyes appeared in the door way. “Hyuuga Neji, I presume?”

“Yes, and you are?” I asked.

“Uchiha Itachi, Sasuke’s older brother.” he claimed. Somehow, just by looking at him, I had already known that. “My otooto tells me you’ve taken interest in the dead.”

“Just one in particular, actually.” I clarified “Hyuuga Hinako.”

“I see.” Itachi said. “Have you found anything?”

“Not much.” I admitted. “Though I really can’t say I knew where to start.”

“Will you check the yakuza?” Itachi asked, a slight change forming in his eyes.

“Only as a last possible resort.”

“I can give you a safe way into the highest circle of the yakuza, if you so choose.” he offered.

“Highest circle?” I inquired.

“Niisama!!” Sasuke shouted, shocked. Itachi ignored his brother’s outburst.

“There is an organization which is linked closely to the yakuza called Akatsuki. All of the members of that organization are very influential in mafias of various countries. I’m part of Akatsuki, and I can give you the information you seek.” I hesitated. The heir to the Uchiha family was part of a organization which, more or less, controlled the major crime rinks of the world. . . and he was offering me information?

“What price are you asking me to pay?” I asked outright. There was never a good deal with the yakuza without paying something. I expected Akatsuki to be no different.

“An inside connection into the Hyuuga business. I don’t want to take it over, but I want a say in what it does.” I held my breath, not knowing how to answer. How could I sell out my family business to Akatsuki?



TBC. . .



Notes:

(1): a “mon” is a family crest. It used to be that only prominent families had mon, but now almost all Japanese families have them. It’s kinda like having a family shield or coat of arms.

Otooto: younger brother.

Niisama: Older brother (formal)



BWAHAHAHAAAAA!! Cliff Hanger!!! XD

Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon enough. . . maybe sooner if I get reviews. . . *evil smile*
Chapter 10: Exchange by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer in the summary.


A/n: I'M SOOOOOO SORRY!!!!! I know this one is about a week overdue for an update. . . I had personal issues and that last week of school before spring break was a bitch. . . This chapter is done though!!

Once again, this is a cliff hanger. . . yes, I am being cruel. . . but you know what? IT'S SO FRIGGIN' WORTH IT!!! XD

Sorry, I'm just having so much fun with this story it's not even funny ^^;;;

Anyway. . .Thank you to Tari-san for reviewing the last chapter ^^ you're awesome!! Everyone! PLEASE LEAVE ME A REVIEW!!!!!! I'M STARVING FOR THEM!!!!!!!! @_____@;;;;;;
Ten: Exchange


“Niisama!” Sasuke said, standing up to face his brother. “This is madness!”

“He wants the information I could easily give him.” Itachi said. “And you have no part to play in this transaction. I suggest you quietly sit and watch.” Sasuke glared hard, which was the first sign on real emotion from either of them.

“I don’t believe I will be able to take you up on that offer, Uchiha-san.” I said, standing as well. “I’m sure you understand my position. I’m not much older than your brother, and the Hyuuga business is huge. I would not be able to give you exactly what you want.”

“I am fully aware of that.” Itachi said, staring at me as if I had just insulted him. “I’m not asking for it now, but when you take over the Hyuuga company. . .”

“I will never be able to take over the Hyuuga company. I am not from the Main Branch of the clan.”

“As I hear it, you’re quite the genius of the family.” Itachi said. “You could easily remove a few obstacles if you so desired.” My eyes narrowed.

“Forgive me if I don’t quite follow.” I said. I knew every well what he meant, but I wanted him to say it outright.

“Your family has had no problem taking out a few of its own members to accomplish something for the, quote, ‘betterment’ of the rest of the clan.”

“You believe that by murdering the family Heads that I will be able to take over the business.”

“Tempting, no?” the older Uchiha said, smiling as if he had just claimed victory.

“I fear that I will cannot agree to your terms, Uchiha-san.” I said, bowing. “Now, if you don’t mind, I need to get home soon.”

“I take it you’d rather take a safe route to gather your information, then.” Itachi said, still smiling. “All right, I suppose I would have done the same if not for my situation.”

“What exactly is your situation?” I inquired. “Why did you join Akatsuki when there are only two of you left of your clan?”

“Akatsuki is the reason why there are only two of us left.” Itachi said, bowing and leaving before me. Sasuke was still standing, though he had stopped listening to the conversation long ago. He was seething.

“Uchiha-san?” I asked, snapping him out of his trance.

“Hyuuga-san,” he said, nodding. “I’m sure you can show yourself to the door?”

“Yes, but one last thing before I leave.” I said, pulling out an old newspaper clipping. “Your brother did it, didn’t he?” Sasuke didn’t even need to see the clipping. He knew what I was talking about.

“It claims there was a rival company who murdered the Uchihas while my brother and I were in Europe, but Itachi had already joined Akatsuki. His membership fee was the lives of all the Uchiha clan. They flew him out from London to Boston, and he killed them all in one night. I hadn’t known he had left until he came back the next afternoon with bloodstained clothing under his coat. I don’t know why he made me the exception. Akatsuki doesn’t care. They actually think it’s sweet that Itachi let his little brother live to perhaps become an Akatsuki member one day.” Sasuke’s fists were balled up, and he was spitting out the words as if they were white-hot fire. Then he looked me in the eye. “I’ll get you the information, and you won’t have to give into Akatsuki’s demands.”

“Uchiha-san–”

“Don’t thank me. This is more to get back at my brother than it is to help you.” Sasuke said. “They’ve been wanting to get their hands back on the Hyuugas for a long time.”

Back on the Hyuugas?” I inquired. Sasuke gave me a stern look.

“I’ll see what I can do for you. Expect a call this week.”




The day after I spoke with the Uchihas, I helped Hinata move into the old mansion I now lived in. Her room was down the hall from mine, though there had been an empty room where I was. I didn’t think it was quite appropriate to have her so close just yet. I suppose she was kind of hurt when she found out the location of the room I had picked out, but she said nothing of it. Hinata was just used to following whatever people told her, I guess.

“Neji-kun?” Hinata said, pulling the last of her belongings out of the car. “Has Hinako said anything else about. . . well. . . about us?” she asked meekly.

“Nothing, really.” I lied. “She just wants us to be happy.”

“Why, though?” she asked. “Hinako hated the family.”

“She sees the good things that you want to do with the family, and she thinks that it will be better for members like herself who aren’t like the rest of the clan.” Hinata blushed and looked away.

“Is there. . . that is, did she say anything about my plans?”

“Not much.” I said, lying again. “I didn’t inquire further.”

“I see.” she said, carrying her bags into the house. “She said she told you about my suitors.”

“One of them, yes.”

“I have another one. . . kind of.” she said. “I was introduced to him just yesterday.”

“Name?”

“Uzumaki Naruto. He’s the heir to the Uzumaki company that the Hyuugas get their computers from.”

“And what about Ojisan?”

“He thinks this would be a great opportunity.” she admitted. “The mergence of two giant companies who are really business partners would almost triple their net gain. Both families would prosper. . . Well, ours would. Naruto-san is the only one left of his clan.”

“He’s the only one?” I inquired, wondering if he was also a member of Akatsuki. If that was the case, I would forbid Hinata from ever speaking with that Uzumaki boy again.

“I guess their family was focused on having only one heir per generation. Naruto-san’s mother disappeared, and his father died in a plane crash. He’s being raised by some of the company CEOs, but they never stay around long.”

“I see.” I said, only somewhat relieved. That was a bit more of a legitimate excuse for being alone than the Uchihas, but it still didn’t satisfy me. Why would a family like that only want one heir? Most families like ours would have at least one other child in case something happened to the first heir. . . that was Hanabi’s position in our family. If Hinata had ever become incapable of carrying on the family tradition, or worse if she had died, Hanabi would take over the family as Head.

“Chichiue wants me to marry him because it would be good for the family. I told him I didn’t want to, but. . .” She shook her head. “I don’t know how much longer I can hold off on deciding. It seems Fate isn’t smiling on us.” I sighed.

“No, Fate is just testing us.” I said. “We can’t swim against that current, but we can work with it to get where we want to go.”

“How?”

“Hold off a bit longer, and little by little we will be able to reveal ourselves to the family without protest.” I said, smiling. She did the same.




Hiashi came to the house the next day, inquiring where Hinata was. I told him that she wanted to stay here, and I didn’t see any reason why she shouldn’t. She hid the entire time that Hiashi was in the doorway speaking with me.

“She should be home with the family.” Hiashi argued. “You cannot tear her away from the family.”

“Why should she stay in a place where she is only look upon as the heir to the family?”

“Because that’s what she is.”

“Is that all?” I prompted again. “She’s still a person, Ojisama.” Hiashi was taken back when I addressed him. “And Hinata-sama is still with the family. I am her cousin.”

“You are of a lower branch than she is.” he said. “And–”

“Chichiue,” Hinata said, coming out from the next room and bowed lowly to her father. “I want to stay here. I need to think about my suitors and my role as the heir. There are too many people in the Main House, and I would rather discuss these matters with Neji-niisama than with the other members of the main branch.” We both stared at Hinata. This was the most I had ever heard her speak out against her father. Ever.

“. . . If that is what you wish.” Hiashi said. It seemed he, too, was surprised by Hinata’s actions and words. “Neji,” he said to me.

“Hai.”

“I trust she will be protected?” Hiashi said in a tone that was more of a threat than a question.

“Of course.” I said. Hiashi nodded and left, more than likely confused and disturbed. Once I closed the door, I turned to Hinata and watched her slowly stand up, ashamed. “Hinata. . .”

“I’m sorry.” she said, shutting her eyes and turning her head away. I blinked. What was she sorry for?

“That was. . . unlike you.” I said. “Thank you.” Her eyes opened in shock. I smiled a little. “Hinata, you just stood up for yourself. I’ve. . . I’ve never seen you do that.” I chuckled to myself. “I think, perhaps, Hinako is rubbing off on you.” Hinata blushed and smiled.

“Maybe.” she said, looking up at me in a way that made her absolutely adorable. At that moment, I wanted to hug her, maybe even give her a kiss, but I was too afraid. Why? I did not know, but I couldn’t bring myself to even move toward her. “I should go see if I can find Hinako. She’ll probably want to start working again for the day.” Hinata said, turning away toward the typewriter.



*ring ring*

It was almost midnight when I heard the phone ring that night. Whoever it was had better have a good reason for waking me up in the middle of the night. . .

“Is this the Hyuuga residence?” a familiar voice asked. It was Sasuke.

“Yes, is this Sasuke?”

“Hai, I needed to call you about the deal I made you.” he said, as if he couldn’t say exactly what he wanted to.

“Is this a good time for you?” I asked.

“As good as any time.” he responded. “My brother is away on a job.”

“I see.” I said. “Then go ahead.”

“Thank you,” Sasuke said, whispering. “It seems the records were correct in saying that the Hyuugas used to be connected to the yakuza.”

“What?!”

“The Hyuugas started their business with the yakuza years ago, and about 30 years ago they wanted out. The only problem with that was that the yakuza needed to make sure none of the Hyuugas would leak information about the organization. The Hyuugas made a deal, giving up a sacrifice as promise that nothing would ever leak from the ones who knew.”

“Let me guess. Hinako was that sacrifice?”

“That’s what I found.” Sasuke confirmed. “They hired a lower branch Uchiha to do the assassination under the table, and then killed him to leave no trail behind. After that, the Hyuugas erased anything in their records that had to do with the yakuza. No one living today would know anything about those deals.”

“Then, Hinako was killed by an Uchiha hired by the yakuza.”

“No, she was killed by an Uchiha hired by the Hyuugas.” My heart stopped for a moment. I knew that the Hyuugas were no strangers to killing members of their own family for gain, but as a sacrifice? As proof? “Hyuuga-san? Are you still there?”

“Hai,” I said, shaking off my thoughts. “Is that all the information you found?”

“That’s all I could scrape up from my sources.” he said. I didn’t ask who his sources were. That may end up deadly.

“Thank you, Uchiha-san. I think this will finally satisfy Hinako.”

“Please do NOT make his information public knowledge.” Sasuke warned. “This is highly classified, and I cannot let this case become known.”

“I understand. Hinako and I will be the only two who know. Thank you.” I said, beginning to hang up.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I heard someone scream. I dropped the phone and ran into Hinata’s room.

“Hinata!! What’s wrong?!?” I shouted, finding her on the floor and huddled in a ball.

“Neji. . . Obasan. . .”

“Obasan?”

“Y-y-y-you-r-r m-m-moth-th-th-er. . .” Hinata began sobbing and shaking so hard that her words were no longer fully audible.

“Hinata, take a breath. Try to calm down.” I said, hugging her, trying to soothe her hysteria.

“N-n-neji. . . Neji your mother. . . sh-sh-she’s b-b-been kidnapped.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Sh-she’s not at home. Sh-sh-sh-sh-she’s been kidnapped from S-s-salem entirely!”

“Hinata, it was just a dream.” I said. “My mother is fine.”

“No she’s not!” she cried. “I saw her!! Obasama was kidnapped by that Uchiha boy!!!”

“What??”

“The older Uchiha.”

“You’ve never met him.”

“You told me what Sasuke looked like.” she said. “He was like Sasuke, just older.”

“Hinata, don’t worry about it. You just had a nightmare.”

“No, it wasn’t just a nightmare.” she insisted. I sighed and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“Here, it’s only about 9:00 in Salem. I’ll call her and make sure she’s still there, okay?” I offered. My mother was always home in the evenings past about 8:00. She didn’t believe that there was a reason to be out so late. There was no chance that she might be out at the time we would call. She sniffed and nodded. I smiled and walked the both of us to the phone I had just dropped. After carefully dialing the number, I set it to speaker phone to assure Hinata that my mother was really the one speaking to me. The phone rang once. . . then twice. . .

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*




TBC...


**-**-**


BEFORE I GO ON TO THE NOTES, I'VE GOT SOME COOL NEWS!!!

I have drawn up a picture of Hinako, and it is waiting on DeviantArt.com. If you type in the search for "Hyuuga Hinako", you should find a sketch and a colored drawing by xYumiChanx. I personally like the sketch better, but you may look at both if you wish. ^___^ Thanks!!



Notes:

Ojisan/ Ojisama: Uncle (In case I haven’t made this clear before, grandfather is ojIIsan, with two ‘i’s)

Obasan/ Obasama: Aunt (just like Ojiisan, obAAsan is grandmother)
Chapter 11: Favors by Yumi
Author's Notes:
I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

*aHEM!!* Anyway, I'm sorry for the delay. I've gone through so much within the last 6 months that I'm not sure if I can even remember it all >
Eleven: Favors




Hinata and Hinako kept up their daily typing routine, but I hardly noticed. My mother was gone and Akatsuki had her. How did Akatsuki know where she was in the first place? Why did hey take her? It was likely that they knew Sasuke had told me about Hinako’s death over the phone, but why take my mother? She had nothing to do with that.

“Neji-kun,” Hinako said, entering the room with some tea. “Hinata told me.” I didn’t say a thing, nor did I make eye contact with her. “Neji, you can’t just mope here. You need to go find her.”

“How?” I asked. “I can’t just go up to Itachi and sai ‘I’ll call the cops on you’ or some shit like that! He wouldn’t tell me that he did it anyway.”

“What about Sasuke?” she asked. “He hates his brother. He would be willing to help you.”

“And if they’ve taken him too?”

“Who else do you know who might have a connection with big, mafia-type organizations?” I first thought of the Uzumaki boy, Naruto, but then thought better of it. I didn’t want to put pressure onto Hinata. Why seek out a boy she doesn’t like who is also courting her?

“Who do you think might?”

“Inuzuka Kiba, Uzumaki Naruto; even your ojisan might remember something.”

“Why Inuzuka and Uzumaki?”

“Uzumaki is now a huge computer corporation, and may be able to pull some strings. Inuzuka has a thing for Hinata, and we’ll be able to use that to our advantage. The Inuzukas may just be veterinarians, but their employers are very prestigious. Inuzuka Omoa took care of the Emperor of China’s pets.” I didn’t look too impressed. “At the time, the Emperor had been connected to the mafia, though that was never made public knowledge, and they’ll deny any connection.”

“How do you know all this?” I asked.

“Being dead for 30 years gains you access to a lot of knowledge.” she said. “I met Omoa and the Emperor: Al Capone, Jack the Ripper, Attilla the Hun, Hitler, and countless others who are still in this damn purgatory. We all have our wishes and regrets, and that’s why we’re still here.”

“Is that why you wanted your death to be known? And why you wanted your works to be published?” She looked at me, her white eyes piercing and hallow. Yet, for the first time since I had known her, tears began to flow from her eyes. . . sad ones.

“What would you have done?”






“Yo!”

“Hello? Is this the Uzumaki Computer company?” I asked. “I would like to speak with your CEO.”

“Um,” a boy said on the other end. I thought he must have been an intern or something. “This is Uzumaki Naruto, but there’s no CEO around here.”

“But this is the Uzumaki company?”

“Who is this??” he asked. I sighed.

“My name is Hyuuga Neji. I’d like to speak to Mr. Uzumaki.”

“Well, you’ve got the only Uzumaki alive.”

“Oh,” I said. I had forgotten that detail about Naruto after he had opened his mouth. Honestly, what heir to one of the biggest computer companies answers the phone ‘yo!’?? “May I come down to your office? I’d like to discuss a few things with you.”

“Um, that might have to change a bit.” Naruto said. “You see, I don’t have an office. The Uzumaki Company runs itself, like Microsoft see? I’m not the head of the company, and I never will be.”

“I see.” I said, not much caring about the politics at the moment. “Your house is fine, then?”

“Yes, let me give you the address.”

“It’s all right. It’s in the phonebook.”

“I don’t live there anymore.” he said. “That was my father’s place. I live on the corner of Pine and East street,”

“The address?”

“1247 E. You’ll see it.” and he hung up. I wondered why he said ‘E’, but I guess it was important for him to say that. Maybe he lived in an apartment complex or something. . .

I couldn’t have been more wrong.

The place the address pointed to was an old, run down mansion that looked vacant. No one had really lived there in ages it seemed. If Naruto hadn’t said ‘E’, I might have gotten lost because there were so many rooms in the house. However, there was only one room in which there seemed to be life, and there was smoke coming out of the window. Actually, it looked more like steam than smoke. . .

“Hello?” I said, knocking on the old door, seeing as there was no doorbell for the room he lived in.

“Hey! Com’on in!” a boisterous voice said. “I’m a bit busy, so just let yourself in and make yourself at home.” I shook my head and opened the rotting door, finding that the boy I had heard was trying to keep a small fire going in the kitchen to boil water.

“Um, are you Uzumaki Naruto?”

“Yeah! You’re Hyuuga-san, right?” the boy asked. “Whoa! You didn’t have to get all dressed up or anything!” Uzumaki grinned from ear to ear. “Sorry for the wreck. I haven’t really been able to repair anything since I’ve been here.”

“It’s all right.” I said. “Um. . . is it okay if we discuss some business matters?”

“Yeah, just let me out the ramen in the pot.” I blinked. Ramen? The heir to a HUGE computer company ate instant ramen?? “SO!” he said , wiping the steam off of his face. “What did you need to talk about again?”

“Well I was going to ask you about a favor.”

“Oh,” Naruto said, pulling up a couple of dilapidated chairs for us to sit at a cup of noodle-filled table. “Well, what kind of favor?”

“My mother has been kidnaped for the simple reason that Akatsuki wants to take over the Hyuuga corporation.” Naruto froze at the name ‘Akatsuki’.

“Oh, I’m so sorry.”

“Could you do anything? Would your company maybe gather information and favors to help retrieve my mother?’

“No.” he said, deadpan.

“Why not?” Naruto went over to the boiling food and blew out of the fire.

“Akatsuki runs the Uzumaki company now. It wasn’t that way until my father took over. There were just too many Akatsuki members in the company, and they pulled a coup. The company claimed that he died of a heart attack and I was too young to take over. Heck, I wasn’t even a year old!” he said, angrily putting a bowl of ramen and chopsticks in front of me. “I get barely enough money from them to live on. The only reason they keep me alive is to make their coup look legitimate. I can’t run a big business like that! That’s just what they want too.”

“So, there’s nothing you can do?” I asked, just to confirm.

“Not really.” he said regretfully. “I’m sorry. I can see if I can get some info from the secretary who gives me my monthly check, but I’m not sure. She’s really nice, but I don’t know.”

“I’d appreciate that. Thanks.” I said. “And I hope everything turns out well for you.”




The Inuzukas were much more formal, but also much harder to get a hold of. I called every number available to the public to try to make an appointment. However, seeing as I did not have a sick pet, I wasn’t going to be able to get any time with them. Hinata finally had to call her suitor, Kiba, who strangely enough picked up right away. I hated the fact that Hinata was so sweet to the boy. I knew that it helped, but I still couldn’t help but feel that hard pang of jealousy pierce through me. The boy agreed only if Hinata came as well. I agreed to his terms, but I didn’t tell him that there would be a slight difference in what “version” of Hinata came to see him. I asked Hinako if she could tag along and posses Hinata when we met the Inuzuka boy. She agreed whole heartedly.




After entering the Inuzuka complex (and waiting for Hinata to be possessed), we were greeted by Kiba and the smell of dogs.

“Welcome to the Inuzuka mansion!” the boy said, grinning happily. “Especially you, Hinata-chan.” Hinako smiled, almost as Hinata would, and blushed a little.

“Thank you for letting us over here to talk on such short notice.” I cringed at her slight lack of formality. “We really appreciate it.” Kiba didn’t seem to mind it.

“Let’s go into the den. It’s cooler than out here, Hinata-chan. Neji-san.” he said, his speech just as informal. . . Well, toward Hinako anyway. He spoke to me as if we were business equals.

“Yes let’s.” Hinako said, taking my arm. I was shocked to see that she was outwardly showing affection, even if they weren’t really hers. Kiba didn’t notice it, or if he did he said nothing.

“Follow me, please.” And we did: down a pathway, up two flights of stairs, down several winding hallways, and finally to a room where we had a table of tea and sweets waiting for us. . . or rather the sweets were for Hinata. Inside, I smiled. Hinata didn’t care for sweets. The only candy that I knew her to eat was dark chocolate: 85% coca. These cakes would have been too much for her if it had been Hinata. Unfortunately, it was Hinako, who hadn’t tasted anything in 30 years and ate anything she could.

“So, you said your cousin wanted to talk to me about a favor?” Kiba asked Hinako, as if I wasn’t there.

“Yes,” I said, cutting in. “I’m in a bit of a predicament. Your family influence may be able to help me.”

“Oh?” he said, amazed slightly that I’d actually do business with him. “Like what?”

“I need to retrieve my mother. She’s been taken by an organization that your family works for.”

“I’m sorry about that.” he said. “However, my family works for many organizations, Neji-kun, but I don’t know of any that would take someone away.” he said. Though the boy sounded confident, his demeanor gave everything away. His grip on his cup was tense, and he blinked a lot within that small time frame.

“Does the name ‘Akatsuki’ sound familiar? Or ‘Yakuza’?” Kiba took a short breath in and then turned to Hinako.

“Hinata-chan, would you mind stepping out of the room for a moment?”

“Yes I would.” Hinako said. “I’m part of this as well. My aunt has been kidnapped and I would like to know the outcome of this.” Kiba nodded.

“All right, but you have to promise me that you won’t hold this against me.” the boy said. Hinako nodded. “All right. Well, to answer your question, Neji-san, yes my family works for both organizations. We’re only their vets and we have no other connection to them, but I guess you could say that we have some influence with them.” Kiba put down his cup and sighed. “Akatsuki is probably the ones who kidnapped your mom. Though the Yakuza do much of that themselves, it’s usually fatal. I’m assuming that you know your mom is alive?”

“I’m not sure exactly, but we know that it is Akatsuki.” I confirmed.

“Good, you don’t want the Yakuza.” Kiba said. “The only thing I could help you out with would be a location. . . but even then I’m not sure if it’ll help.”

“It’ll be a start at least.” Hinako said. “Where?”

“It’s in the harbor.” Kiba said, taking a napkin and a pen to write down something. “This is the warehouse that we go to meet Akatsuki. They seem to have some sort of base there. It’s a small street off to the side of things, and there’s only one building there, so you should have no trouble finding it, really.”

“I see.” I said. “And if we can’t find them there?”

“I wouldn’t know anywhere else to look for them.” Kiba said. “Hey, look, don’t take Hinata there, okay? It’s not as heavily guarded as I think it should be for a base, but it’s not safe for her.” I nodded. I wouldn’t even dream of taking her along with that much at risk.

“I won’t.”

“And take Akamaru with you.”

“Who??” I asked. Kiba pointed to the space under my seat. When I looked down, there was a white dog sleeping. “He’s a puppy.”

“Yeah, but I swear he understands English.” Kiba said. “He’ll do anything you want him to.”

“Why are you lending me your dog?” I asked.

“Well, to be honest, they’re the ones who wanted me to marry Hinata-chan.” he said. Hinako and I were shocked. “Akatsuki told my parents that they wanted a business relationship with the Hyuugas, and that a marriage would be an easy way in. My parents weren’t going to oppose one of the most powerful crime organizations in the world, so they had me meet her a couple of times. I didn’t want to at first, but after the first time we met I thought I could make it work!” he said, smiling. “Hinata-chan is very pretty, and I like her. I didn’t think that it would be that bad to marry her.” Hinako glared at her hands.

“Those bastards.” she mumbled.

“Kiba, I respect what your family did, but I must ask you to not see Hinata anymore.” I said. “That, quote, ‘business relationship’ is the reason my mother has been taken away.” Kiba gulped.

“I see.” he said, thinking about it. “Is there anyone else who was involved?”

“Not really.” I said. “There’s another suitor who might have had a connection like that, but I doubt it. He’s really clueless.” I said, thinking about what Naruto had told me earlier. Maybe he had been told the same thing, but with less details regarding Akatsuki’s motives. “We’ll try there first. Thank you.”





On the way back to the house, Hinata was silent. I didn’t blame her either. She ended up a tool again, only this time used for the downfall of the Hyuugas. Instead of pursuing her dreams and goals for the clan, she would end up being the thing that destroyed the family if Akatsuki succeeded. . . and all she could do was sit back and watch as the game unwound. It seemed it would unwind for the worse, too. I had no idea about how to confront Akatsuki now that we knew where they could be. I’m sure Hinata didn’t have a plan either. She had other things to worry about. It seemed Akamaru knew what was going on, for he was sitting in Hinata’s lap, trying to make her feel better I suppose. I only wished it was working.

*ring*

My phone went off half way home. It wasn’t a number I recognized. Actually, it was a pay phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey, is this Neji?” I sighed. It was Naruto on the other end of the line.

“Yes, Naruto?”

“Yeah, hey! I just found out where your mom is!” he said. I nearly crashed into the car in front of me when I heard that.

“How??”

“It was that secretary. I said I heard there was something going on with the Hyuugas and she spilled everything.” Naruto said. I smiled, a bit relieved. “She’s being held at one of the old Hyuuga properties.”

“What? That’s not possible.” I said. “We would know if she was there then.”

“It’s old, Neji. The Hyuugas don’t own it anymore. It’s a warehouse in the harbor area.”

“Do you know the address?”

“Not really, but I know it’s on a little street that closed off from the rest of the port.” he said. “Well, anyway, that’s what I found out. Hope that helps.”

“It does. . . Immensely.” and I hung up. Hinata looked up at me.

“That was Naruto?”

“Yes, and he told me where Okaasan is.” Hinata smiled brightly.

“Where?”

“It’s the exact same place where Kiba told us to look.” I said. So, we finally had a location. . . now, it was time for the biggest challenge yet. . . Hiashi.



TBC...


**-**-**

Notes: THERE ARE NONE!! *shock!!!*


A/N: Well, I’m sorry for the 6 month disappearance!! I blame that on my itooshi. . . Anyway! I’m sorta back. . .? I’m trying to stop my life for a few moments and get some writing done ^^;;;

Hey! If you read this chapter, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND EVIL!! REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! >< And rate too! This used to be a 5 star story, and after the updates it's down to 3.5 stars!! I'm really really sad about that!!!

Oh! I thank LittleCrane for being an awesome person and reviewing every single chapter for me ^__^ you made me so happy!!

Until next time ^_^
Chapter 12: Hiashi by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Hey all! I popped out another chapter!! XD

I posted this at like 11 pm, but I don't really care right now. I'm just happy this chapter turned out the way it did, and I just needed to post it RIGHT NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

^^

Thanks to all of you who reviewed!! I'm glad to know I've been welcomed back!!!


Enjoy!! PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!!!!!!
Twelve: Hiashi






We had one of the servants take Akamaru for a long, long walk while Hinata and I went to talk with her father. Hiashi needed to know what was going on, but we also needed to ask him for help. I didn’t think he would disregard us, but then again maybe he would. Hiashi was hard to read, even for someone who has known him all his life. I didn’t think Hiashi would ignore the fact that Akatsuki was trying to regain control of the Hyuuga company, but it was the question of my mother. . . would he help?

“Enter.” Hiashi said, seeing Hinata and I standing in the doorway. “You wished to speak with me?”

“Hai,” Hinata said, sitting only after I had. “This is about Obasama.”

“And?”

“She’s been kidnapped.” I said. “Akatsuki took her.” Hiashi looked at me sternly, though I could sense that he recognized the name and was fearful of it.

“Why would they take her? She’s hardly connected to the family.”

“To bribe Neji-niisama.” Hinata said. “They want Neji to take over the company.”

“And they think he could?” Hiashi asked, turning toward me. “We would never let him take your place as heir.”

“They suggested other methods of taking over the company.” I said. “Namely what you did to Hiori-sama.” Hiashi glared hard.

“How do you know about that?” he demanded. I said nothing. “You do know why it was done, correct?”

“To avenge my father, who was indirectly murdered by Hiori.” I said. “Yes, I know.”

“Are you here to use that information against me?”

“No, I’m just saying that Akatsuki has suggested that, since there was much of it in the past.” I clarified. “We are here to ask for help.”

“For what?”

“Retrieving my mother.” Hiashi put his hands on the desk in front of him, his fingers laced together as any good businessman would do when getting to the point.

“Neji, why do they want you to take over the company? You’re 18. And your mother? Why take her and not Hinata?”

“It would be too obvious if they took Hinata-sama, and they aren’t looking to bribe her.” I said. “They’ve heard rumors that I might be able to pull of such am intricate plan and make it look legitimate. I said no to their offer, but crime organizations hardly ever take no for an answer, as you might know.”

“Why would I know?”

“I’m sure you know about your aunt, Hinako.” I suggested. “You are the Head of the clan. There’s no reason for you not to know.”

“She died of a heart attack and erased from the records as a shameful stain in the Hyuuga’s history.”

“She was murdered by her father, Hakaku.” Hinata said. “You know this, Chichiue.” Hiashi sighed.

“Do you both know why she was murdered by Hakaku-sama?” he asked, his head downward. “The Yakuza had control over the Hyuuga corporation before. When Hakaku took over, the Yakuza leader was old and didn’t care about his heir. Hakaku took that opportunity to sever ties with the Yakuza. The leader wanted proof that no one would spill information about his group, as was his duty to. Hakaku offered the murder of his own daughter to satisfy the leader. After that, Hinako was erased from the public records and forgotten about. This was to ensure that the family was kept safe. Hiori-sama had little knowledge of it and didn’t care, but I inquired further before Hakaku died. No one else alive knows of her existence, and I don’t understand how you found out about it.” Hiashi said, looking up at us.

“Chichiue,” Hinata said. “Her things were left in the house Neji-san is staying at.” Hiashi’s eyes grew at the statement.

“Why were they left there?!”

“I don’t know.” I said. “All of her paperwork and belongings were left in a storage room.”

“I see.” he said. “You spoke with her?” Hinata and I were shocked that he came to that conclusion. “She was violently murdered, and her belongings were not burned. Her spirit still lingers in the house, correct?”

“Yes,” I said, remembering the old folk lore about the dead and their belongings.(1) “She wanted us to investigate her death, and she has been completing her writing so that we will be able to publish it.”

“And that’s how you got involved with Akatsuki?” he asked. I nodded.

“We went to see the Uchiha clan to ask for information.”

“They were all killed, weren’t they?” Hiashi asked.

“All but two.” I answered. “The older one killed all of his clan except his younger brother to be part of Akatsuki. We did not find that out until Itachi already knew what we wanted. He offered me a deal, and I refused.”

“I see.” Hiashi said, closing his eyes and thinking deeply about what was happening. “Well, you sure seem to have gotten yourselves in a mess, Neji-kun.”


Hinata and I looked at one another. Did Hiashi just said ‘Neji-kun’??


Hiashi looked up at us and smiled.

“My how you’ve grown,” he said. “I hope you don’t mind my intrusion, Hinata-sama.” Hinata froze.

“O. . . Ojisama?” she asked. Hiashi nodded.

“Hai,” he said. I didn’t move. I couldn’t move. Hiashi was. . . he was Hizashi. . . my father.

“Toosan. . .” I cracked out. Hizashi smiled.

“Hai? Nande?” he asked.

“You. . . you’ve been here. . .”

“Saa,” he said, smiling. “I didn’t want to just leave you and your mother around alone, so I stayed here.”

“Then you’ve been watching this whole time?” I asked. He nodded.

“And I know how to get your mother back.” I smiled. “It’s a simple process. I believe Hinako-sama has already familiarized you with possession, correct?”

“Quite,” Hinata said, sighing a bit.

“There is also another way, which is slightly more dangerous and gives less time, but works the same way.” Hizashi said. “Forced Possession.”

“Forced Possession?”

“Hai,” he said. “Where another soul battles with another soul in a body for control. It could result in permanent damage to the souls, and possibly disappearance altogether. However, if it is successful, then the outside soul has complete control for several minutes. I believe that’s enough to cause a distraction while you take care of your mother.”

“You aren’t going to risk that, are you?” I asked, losing it a little. “You can’t! You just–”

“Neji,” my father said, raising a hand. “I cannot come back from the dead. Possession is only for a short period of time, and not worth the heartache. If I disappear, I will have done it protecting you and your mother. You two are everything, and I am willing to risk disappearing. I won’t be the only one there, too.” Suddenly, there were opaque figures fading into the room. “You’ll have an army of those who love you.” I recognized some of the people: my grandfather, grandmother, great-aunt and uncle. . . so many members of my family. “We’re all here for you.” I didn’t know what to say.

“Hizashi-sama,” Hinata said, getting on her hands and knees and bowing to him. “Doomo arigato.” The ghosts did the same, only to her.

“Our duty is to protect the clan.” one of the figures said. “No matter how far removed they are.”




TBC...



Notes:

(1): There’s some old legends about people who suffer violent deaths, and houses in general. Many times in Japan, a home is rebuilt once it is bought from another owner so that none of th bad things that were left in the old house will affect its new owners. Sometimes, if a person was particularly nasty, their belongings were burned to make sure they did not come back. I don’t think that last part is still in practice, but that’s what happened long ago.


hai: yes

Nande: what?

Saa: it’s kind of like, ‘yeah’ or ‘well. . .’



A/N: Well, that’s number twelve. . . wow, I didn’t think I would make it this far!! And guess what? We’re almost at an end!!! *sniffles* My baby is ending!!! TT__TT Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. . .

Anyway! Please RATE and REVIEW! I believe we’re back up to 4 stars now, but there’s still one more star to go! THANK YOU!!
Chapter 13: Nightmare by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer is in the summary.


A/N: Hey everyone! Well, this is coming to a close. . . and I’m rather sad. I hate to see it like this, but each of my stories are alive in a sense: they take on a life of their own and I watch them grow up. When one is finished. . . it dies. I’m sad to see this one die because I have gotten to know each of the characters more, and I don’t want it to end. I hope that you, as a reader, have enjoyed watching Neji, Hinata, and Hinako survive their trials, and will finish this story with satisfaction and contentment.

‘Til next time. . .
Thirteen: Nightmare





Hinata didn’t want to stay behind, but I made her promise me that she wouldn’t come. I didn’t want her to become a victim in the chaos that would ensue once our ancestors Force Possessed the guards and members of Akatsuki. I would never want to loose her, and after a bit of persuasion she agreed to it. I talked with Hinako before I went to the warehouse as well. I asked her to stay with Hinata and protect her if anything should happen while I was gone. Even though I was concerned about my mother, I was not so ignorant as to think that Akatsuki would only go after her if I did not agree to their terms. I didn’t know how well they knew me through their sources, but Hinata was likely the next member they would try to use against me. I didn’t think that they’d kidnap or attack her, but perhaps there would be stalkers who would, and they would not be associated with Akatsuki.

I drove out to the warehouse three days after the souls promised their help, and I could only hope that they all were following somehow. I didn’t know how many of them there were, nor could I see them, so all I could do was believe that their promises would be upheld honorably.

“I.D. please.” a guard asked as I pulled up to the lonely building by the water. I didn’t have the proper identification to get in, but I did have something. . .

“I’m here to speak with Itachi.” I said. The guard raised an eyebrow. “He said just to say that he sent me.”

“Uchiha-sama is in a meeting at the moment. You’ll have to wait out here until he can verify. . .”

“He’ll be unhappy that I was made to wait.” I interrupted. “I’m here for that meeting.” The guard paled.

“Forgive me. I didn’t know.” he said, pressing a few buttons and opening the gate. “Here’s the entrance card for g-g-g-g-gesss. . .” and he suddenly stopped moving. I looked carefully at the body, which was twitching in various places. Suddenly he stood upright, and pulled out his own card.

“They’ll know if you enter because you’ll be registered as a guest.” he said, though I doubted it was the guard speaking. “Take his I.D. and card. You’ll be able to get to your mother in no time. She’s being held in the second basement in either room 15 or 137.”

“How do you know?”

“He just knows that the prisoners are held there. There are only two being held currently.” he said. I supposed it was good to know, but 15 and 137 were on opposite ends of the numbering system. They were either very close, or very, very far from one another. I didn’t know if I’d have enough time to check both. . .

“Thank you.” I said, driving through the gate and parking the car behind a stack of crates marked in Chinese and Italian. I supposed that Akatsuki stored all sorts of mafias’ equipment. . . and all in an old Hyuuga storage unit. . .




When I approached the entrance, the guards seemed to be all taking a nap. Convenient, I thought, my relatives are making this surprisingly easy. Still, I carefully walked up to the door, making sure nothing accidentally went off.

“You’ll need a key, Neji.” one of them said to me, waking up. “That card won’t get your through.”

“Do you they have one?” I asked.

“Not that they seem to remember. They’re just here to patrol the back lot.”

“Back lot?”

“Yes, you came around the back way.” he said. “They turned the warehouse around to suit their needs.” I cursed them for doing that. Though it was much easier to enter undetected, there was no way to enter.

“Neji, do you have your keys?” the other man asked. “I believe my brother gave you the key to the warehouse, and I don’t think they changed the locks.” I furrowed my brows. “The back of the warehouse always had the back doors closed with a chain and padlock. Perhaps they just cut through the chains and installed their security system there. These doors can be opened from the inside, and would be an obvious way out, but no one would be able to enter this way.”

“I never received a key to this building, though.” I said. “I was given one to the house, gate, the shed, and the car.”

“And one that led nowhere.” my father said. “It’s to the warehouse.”

“How do you know?”

“It’s the key that’s used in case of a four key set.” Hizashi said. “I had one when I lived with your mother, and so do many of the Hyuuga clan members.”

“They probably won’t detect that either.” the other man said. “Even if they never use the door, you have the right key. That shouldn’t be something that will set off the alarm.” I supposed that it made sense. They figured that they were the only ones with they keys. If someone opened the door with the correct key, it would have had to be one of Akatsuki’s members, not an outsider.

“I’ll try.” I said, taking out my keys and finding the older one which had not yet been used. It was difficult getting the key in at first, but after dust and rust was knocked out of the way, the key turned easily. I braced myself for something to happen - anything really - but I heard no alarm, nor the shouts of other people who had seen my presence. I knew that meant nothing, but I was happy at least I might have slipped past their security for now. “All right, it works.”

“Take the stairs on the west side,” my father said to me. “Hiro, Haru, and Haoe have taken care of anyone in the stairwell.”

“If there are more than three?”

“Haoe was instructed to get back up.” Hizashi said. I nodded and went inside, shutting the door behind me softly.



There was no one in the first stairwell when I took it, but I was still cautious. There were cameras rotating around the corners, and I didn’t know if my relatives had gotten to the security center yet. I had to time everything I did just right as to not be caught. . . yet. The first camera I would get past easily, but it would be a challenge to get past the second and third, since there was only a fraction of a second that they were not pointed in my direction. For this strange maneuver, I would have to run all three cameras at once.

It wasn’t as easy as it sounded.

Timing was everything, yet I couldn’t find a way in or out without getting seen in some way. If I got past the first and second, the third might catch a glimpse of me going down the stairs past it. If I got through the third one, the first and second camera would get me for sure. I only wished that this had been flat instead of a stairwell. It would have made things so much easier. . .

Then a person walked in from above with a life-sized puppet in his hands. I ducked to that maybe someone would take care of him before he saw me.

“Neji, it’s all right. I’ve given you a way to get through.” he said. “Get inside the puppet.”

“Inside??”

“Sasori is a puppet master, and he made this one hallow. You’ll be able to fit. Just leave this to me.” he said, opening the latches to the stomach. “Don’t move.”

“How long will you have hold over Sasori?”

“It was strange. He didn’t put up a fight, really, like he didn’t have a soul. I’ll have about 20 minutes of control, though.” I nodded and curled myself up inside the strange looking puppet. It had rectangular holes in the body, almost as if it was meant to carry a person inside of it.



It seemed like forever before we reached the second basement. Sasori didn’t appear to be that strong, for he had a slight build and little muscle mass, but it seemed his body could carry me, even if it was slow and unsteady. My ancestor still had control after all this time that I wondered if Sasori even had a soul.

“Neji, we’re here.” he said. “Which room?”

“Either 15 or 137.”

“We’re at 25 and 26, so let’s look at 15 first.” he said, carrying me to the left. I could see through one of the holes that there seemed to be an endless maze of halls and doorways, that I wasn’t so sure if this plan we had would work. My mother and I would need to get out quickly in order for this plan to work - 5 minutes maximum - but if she was in room 137. . . things would get rather ugly very quickly.

Sasori’s body opened the door with the card he held on him and looked inside. It seemed as if no one was there, though it was very obvious that someone had inhabited this area not too long ago. Sasori bent down and began to open the puppet when someone shouted at him.

“NO!! I REFUSE TO BE PUT IN THAT THING!!!” the boy screamed. “I WON’T TALK! I WON’T GO!!!!!!”

“Sasuke??” I asked, climbing out of the cage. “Is that you?”

“Hyuuga-san,” a now-weak voice said. From the corner of the long room came a frail, beaten body. “W-what are you doing here?”

“Coming for my mother.”

“She’s not in this room.”

“I can see that.” I said, walking over to him and examining his wounds. “What happened to you?”

“My brother found out I had spilled something to you, and he wanted to know what I said. I refused to talk.”

“Why were you yelling?”

“They threatened to send Sasori in to use his puppets to torture me, and his favorite is that one.” he said, pointing to the ugly doll. “He sticks knives in it when a person is inside until they talk.”

“What if they refuse to talk?”

“I don’t know. It’s never happened as far as I know.” he said. “Why is he helping you?”

“He’s not helping willingly.” I said. “Long story. Let’s get you out of here.”

“How? There’s too many people guarding this place.”

“It’s Nightmare.”

“Nightmare?”

“A mass Force Possession of everyone in the building except my mother and me. . . we’ll have to change that to you as well. When everyone is out in the open and they find out my mother has been taken, chaos will ensue and there is an army of souls waiting to Force Possess them.”

“You believe that?”

“Yes, I do. That’s why Sasori seems to be helping us.” I said. “I saw some more cameras in the hallway. I’ll get back inside the puppet, and you walk with Sasori down to room 137. That’s where my mother is.”

“Let’s hurry,” Sasori said, “I don’t know how much more time I’ll have to control him.” I nodded and crawled back into the torture device. Sasori was supposed to torture Sasuke anyway. If they were seem together it wouldn’t look so suspicious.



It was another 10 minutes until we reached the room where my mother was being held, and it seemed shaky as to whether or not my mother was still in the room. There were no lights on as there was in Sasuke’s room, and Sasori’s card didn’t work on the door.

“Maybe he isn’t authorized to open this one?” Sasuke suggested. “My brother can open certain things.”

“Then how do we get her out?” I asked.

“We try Itachi’s card.” Sasori said. “He’s the one who kidnaped her, correct? Maybe this is a door only he can open.”

“Is someone nearby to run up and get him?”

“Hiro is going right now.”

“Okay, we’ll just have to wait it out, then.” Sasuke said, sitting on the floor and resting against the wall. “Will this actually work?”

“Mayb–”

“Neji, I-I-I-I-I. . . I can’t keep hold of Sasori much longer.” Sasori said, clutching his head. “His. . . his soul became violent all of a sudden.”

“How long?”

“F-few minutes.” he said, letting go of the puppet and grabbing Sasori’s red hair.

“Sasuke! Switch places with me!!” I shouted from inside the puppet.

“I’m not getting in that thing!!”

“Just do it or we’re both dead!!!” I yelled. Sasuke hesitated, but opened the latches on the cage as quickly as possible. I slipped out and helped the Uchiha in to the puppet and secured the latches, leaving the bottom three undone. “Kick whoever opens this, all right?”

“Neji, hurry. . .”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got a plan. Stay around.” I said, putting one of Sasori’s hands on the puppet. Sasori went still for a moment and then grunted.

“What the fuck. . . who the hell are you?” Sasori - the REAL Sasori - asked.

“Um, Hyuuga Neji?” I answered, as if it were obvious. “Sasori-san, will you please open the door.”

“Why am I opening a fucking door?” he asked, pissed off.

“Itachi sent you down here with me to let me see me mother and to pick up someone.” I said. “Are you all right, Sasori-san?”

“Why would I take you to see your mother when she’s not even here?”

“I. . . I don’t know.” I said, shocked. “Itachi sent you here.”

“Mrs. Hyuuga is up in the main hall under watch of Rei-dono.” Sasori said. “My god, Itachi’s stupid.”

“Then can you take me to her?”

“Yes, but Sasuke’s first.”

“He’s in there.” I said, pointing to the puppet. Sasori raised a thin eyebrow.

“Do you think I’m that gullible? I would have remembered if I had stuffed his sorry carcass in there.”

“Feel free to check. He’s there.” I said, hoping Sasuke had enough sense to do as I told him. Sasori glared at me, but bent down to open the cage, which was already partially open.

“I didn’t put him there, see? I would have done each latch if someone was inside.”

“Perhaps you missed them?” I suggested. “He’s there.” Sasori was getting impatient and just unlatched them all, finding a body inside.

“TAKE THIS YOU SORRY ASSHOLE!!!” Sasuke shouted, kicking Sasori backward and against a wall. I rushed over to Sasori before he could get up and used a pressure point to knock him out cold. Sasuke climbed out of the puppet and wobbled over to the body. “Is he. . .?”

“He’s not dead, but he’ll be out for some time.” I said, searching for a pen in Sasori’s bag.

“What are you doing?” Sasuke asked once I found a writing utensil.


COMMENCE NIGHTMARE IN FIVE MINUTES


“Oh,” he said, reading the messege. Five minutes would be just enough time for Sasuke and I to get back up to the stairwell and get caught before we found my mother. We would have little time to waste after that.

“Let’s go,” I said, running toward the exit at the other end of the maze of halls.





It was eerie getting to the ground floor. Unlike how it was before, where cameras had been swiveling around and other steps clicking in the background, the first basement and the stairwell were completely silent except for Sasuke and me. We rushed to the top, fighting off the frightening chills running up and down our spines. When we reached the ground floor, the chaos had already started. Guards, subordinates and guests were running around screaming and clutching their heads trying to fight off the ghostly invaders of their bodies.

“Neji!!” a man said, running up to me. “Your mother is waiting for you at the entrance. She’s freed.”

“Thanks!” I said, taking off in the direction of what used to be the backdoor. I hardly cared about Sasuke anymore. My mother was in the midst of all this chaos. If even one of my relatives failed in controlling these people, my mother would be in the gravest of danger. I couldn’t loose her: not for the world could I loose her.

“HYUUGA!!!” I heard a low voice bellow from behind me. I knew it was Itachi, but I had no time to look back. “GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE RAT!!!” I kept running and hoping Sasuke was somehow matching my speed in his state.

“NEJI RUN!!!” Sasuke shouted. “I’LL STALL!!” I didn’t question him, but silently thanked him for what he was doing. I peered behind me for a moment to see what was happening. Sasuke threw himself at his brother, who was running at me with a small sheathed sword in his hands. If I found my mother before Nightmare was over, I’d go back for Sasuke, who would hopefully be still alive.

“Neji-kun!” someone else said, and I spotted my mother, dressed in rags and shaking with fear. “Neji! Neji!” I ran up to her and hugged her tightly.

“Kaasan,” I said, nearly crying with joy. “You’re alive.”

“What’s h-happening?” she asked. “Why is everyone like this?”

“No time,” I said, pulling her arm, “Let’s go.”

“What about that boy you were–”

“NO TIME!!” I shouted, running out of the door and pulling her with me. She stopped and looked me dead in the eyes.

“Uphold your family honor.” she said, fire coming back in to her frightened eyes. I stopped and turned from her.

“Go find the car and get inside,” I said, handing her the key. “I’ll be back.” She nodded and let me run back to find Sasuke.


“Father ALWAYS praised you!!” Sasuke yelled. “And you betrayed him!!!”

“Because he was nothing more than a pawn!!” Itachi shouted back, trying to take out the katana Sasuke was holding shut. “You’re all worthless pieces of shit!!!”

“How could you?!?” he said, kicking Itachi’s legs to knock him over on the floor, where people were trampling all over the place. Sasuke mounted his brother and began impaling Itachi with the hilt of the sword. All Itachi could do was block his face, blow after blow. “YOU KILLED THEM ALL!! EVERYONE!!! THEY LOVED YOU!! THEY WORKED HARD TO RAISE YOU AND MAKE YOU THE HEIR OF THE CLAN!!!!!!”

“SASUKE!!” I shouted, holding his arms still. “We have to go!”

“I’M GOING TO KILL HIM!!” he shouted at me, tears streaming down his cheeks.

“And you’ll be a murderer.” I said. “Let the police take care of it. We don’t have much time.” Sasuke looked down at Itachi who still seemed to be planning an escape. I held the older Uchiha’s throat in just such a way that his air would be cut off. He wouldn’t suffocate to death, but he would pass out.

“You. . . You’ll never get me that way.” Itachi said, smiling and grabbing onto my wrist to pry me off of him.

“Neji, let me take care of him.” I heard someone say behind me. There, in a sheer form stood my father, as young as the day he died.

“Otoosama,” I said.

“GO!” he shouted, “You mother is waiting!!” and he dove into Itachi’s body. Itachi let out a scream of pain and let go of me to grasp at his heart. I wanted to stay and watch if my father would come back out alive. Itachi was not easy, and my father had already Force Possessed one person before. . . I didn’t want him to disappear. . .

“Neji, let’s go!” Sasuke said, pulling me. “They’ve stopped running.” I looked around and saw that there were many who had not only stopped running, but they were looking upon the scene before them and grabbing something that resembled artillery.

“Com’on.” I said, taking off running toward the door. The people surrounding us followed, loading their weapons and taking aim. Sasuke’s face was scraped several times by passing bullets, and my arm and legs were nicked as well. Then, just as we were getting out of the door, Sasuke yelled at me, pushing me out of the way.

All I saw was red.

Sasuke was lying on the ground, his shoulder spurting out blood and crying out in pain. I ran toward him to carry him to the car, but I wouldn’t be able to. Even if I was able to get Sasuke onto my shoulder before the others got to me or shot me, I wouldn’t be able to get to the car in time. My mother would still be waiting for us in the car, and everything would have been for nothing. She would b e killed, my father would have disappeared, and Hinata. . . Hinata would loose me, her hope for the Hyuugas, and be forced to marry a boy associated with Akatsuki: one she did not love. I was on the verge of tears when I thought about that and pulled Sasuke onto my shoulders. Yes, I loved Hinata, and I only wished I had done more for her to prove that. . .

“NEJI-KUN!!” I heard from the door, along with a screech of tires and brakes. I looked up and found Hinata crashing into the doorway in her father’s Jaguar with my mother opening the back doors for Sasuke and I to jump in. “Hurry!!!”

I wasted no time. Sasuke went in first, my mother dragging him in, and I vaulted into the car, slamming it shut as Hinata put the car in reverse and drove away with several broken windows blocking her view. There were several shouts and blasts of gun fire behind us, but nothing seemed to be reaching us any longer. At 80 miles per hour speeds, it didn’t take long for us to loose them, nor pass the cops who were breaking their limits too to get to the warehouse and arrest whoever was at the top of the crime organization.




After the lights were out of our sights and the sirens beyond our ears, my mother climbed into the back seat and tended to Sasuke’s gaping wound, using his shirt to mop up and stop the bleeding. I sat back, taking in the stillness and calm of the car. It wasn’t calm with Sasuke’s cries of pain, granted, but that noise seemed to be drowned out compared to the confusion and disorder of the warehouse. Everything seemed so. . . bland. Maybe it was just the after shocks of being through all that, but I wasn’t so sure. I think it was more like I didn’t know what to do now. Hinako had her story, I had my mother, Sasuke got his revenge, Akatsuki was being arrested, Naruto would be able to reveal the truth about his parents, the Inuzukas would no longer be threatened by Akatsuki. . . and I had nothing left to do.

“Neji, may I use your shirt, please?” my mother said, smiling softly at me. “These rags aren’t working well.”

“S-s-sure,” I said, shaky for some reason. I handed her my torn, battered shirt, and she swiftly wrapped Sasuke’s shoulder as best she could before Hinata reached the hospital. “K-kaasama, daijoubu?”

“I’m fine.” she said, stroking Sasuke’s head to comfort him. “You were honorable. I’m proud of you, Neji, and I know your father is too.”

“Thank you,” I said, feeling an ache in my heart, knowing that my father might not still be around. I felt comforted knowing that all this time my father had been watching over me - over us - and now he wouldn’t. . . I couldn’t tell my mother that. “Will he live?”

“Yes. I believe the bleeding stopped for the most part. He’ll have to get the bullet removed and stitches most likely, but he’ll live.”

“We’re almost at the hospital.” Hinata said. “Neji, please go get someone when we pull up.”

“Haa,” I said, my hand on the door to open at any time. I was shaking so badly and felt so useless that I didn’t even notice when my mother tore off part of her skirt to wrap up my scratched arm. I looked at her after she had done that. . . and she smiled with her sad, satisfied smile; the crow’s feet at the corners of her brown eyes creasing together, and a tear clinging onto her long eyelashes.

“Hizashi said good-bye, Neji.” she said. “He told me to say he’s proud of you. We all are.” My eyes widened.

“Wait! Good bye?? He’s. . . He’s still. . .” My mother - or her possessed body - shook her head.

“He faded after he got out of that Uchiha’s body. All he could do was say good bye, and that you made him proud.” she said, wiping the tears from the corners of her eyes. “I’m sorry, Neji. Farewell.” I couldn’t speak while my mother became still as the soul who possessed her exited her body.

My father was gone.




TBC...


**_**_**


Notes:

daijoubu: are you all right?



A/N: Not quite the last chapter, but this is the last one with much action in it. I’ll have one more I think, and that will be the end of “Ghost Writer”. This chapter took me three days to write, and I’m in a little bit of an emotional torment right now. Everything in this chapter happened for a reason, but I hated doing some of it. I. . . I think I need a bit of a break from this right now.

Thank you to everyone who favorited this story and gave me a review. At times, you were the only thing that was keeping me writing this and not giving up half way as I have done with some of my other pieces of work.

As you may know, November is the time when we have our annual contest here on TONFA. I would greatly appreciate you nominating this story and also voting for it. I have spent too many hours laboring on this and having my emotions torn and raked at for it to not at least be nominated.

Thank you all again for your dedication.

I’ll see you again for the last chapter. . . when it is that I’m in a better emotional state to write.

- Yumi
Chapter 14: Owari by Yumi
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer is in the summary.


A/N:Hello, again, for your dessert course. Well, here it is: the last chapter of “Ghost Writer”. I’m almost reluctant to write this chapter, really. This story has been one of the most wonderful things that has happened to me, and I hate to see it end.

Please, if you have read this story this far, I ask that you leave a review, rate this story, and/ or nominate and vote for this story in the 2007 awards for this site. . . If you have smiled or cried, laughed or shouted, felt uplifted or downtrodden because of this story and the characters, I beg of you: give this story a place in the awards. If I am never remembered for any other story of mine, let my influence on this site be this story.

Thank you, readers. . . especially to those of you who have stuck with me for this one full year that I have been part of this site. . . yes, August 31 is my anniversary of joining TONFA. I love you all.

- Yumi
Fourteen: Owari





Sasuke had been admitted into the ER, my mother and I were seen by a doctor, and Hinata sat in the waiting room, reading. My mother seemed to have sustained a few beatings, but not like those Sasuke had endured. She also appeared to have been starved a little, for she gobbled down the gelatin cup she and I were given. I gave her mine.

“Neji,” she said, a half hour after we had been checked. “What happened?” I sighed.

“When I got into the house Ojisama lent me, Hinata-sama and I found a ghost.”

“Ghost?”

“Her name is Hinako, and she wanted a couple favors from us. Hinata and I had to tread into some dangerous waters, and that led us to accidently deal with Akatsuki. We were trying to find out information through the Uchiha clan, but I didn’t realize that Sasuke’s older brother was part of Akatsuki, nor that Akastuki wanted into the Hyuuga Corporation.”

“So, they took me to convince you to let them in?”

“A bit more complicated than that, but that’s basically it..” I said, sighing again. “Chichiue and our ancestors came up with a plan to help rescue you. . . but. . .” I couldn’t say any more. My father was gone forever. My mother put a hand to my shoulder.

“Your Great-aunt Haeko told me about it.” she said. “She’s the one who possessed me.” I turned away. A Hyuuga shouldn’t loose his composre, but I was so close to. “Neji, I know you hardly knew your father, but. . . Neji look at me.” she commanded. I turned to face her and looked her dead in the eyes, trying to clam myself down.

“He’s gone.”

“I know.” she said. “I never knew he was around in the first place.”

“He killed himself trying to save me!” I shouted, feeling guilty, angry, and hurt. “Why couldn’t he just save himself?”

“He wouldn’t have wanted it that way.” she said. “You father felt as if he had always betrayed you.”

“How?!?” I asked, shocked. My father had never betrayed me!

“Hiashi was born a few seconds before he was, and thus it made him of a lower branch in the family. Then he fathered an incredibly bright boy, one that could have easily been one of the greatest Heads the Hyuuga family has ever known, and yet that boy would never become that because that boy was second class due to his father’s birth. Fate seemed to never have smiled upon him, and he felt as if that had been passed on to you.” she said holding my hands in hers. “Your father would have wanted to do something for you to make up for something like that.”

“He had no control over his birth!” I shouted. “He betrayed me more by dying than by giving me a second class station!”

“Neji,” she said, quietly. “Tell me something.”

“What?”

“Why are you so upset that he’s gone, when he had been out of our lives for years?”

“Because. . . because I got to see him again.” I said. “He was there, speaking with me through Hiashi, and I. . . I had a father.”

“And your father had a son he could be with again.” she said. “Yet, he chose to never come back. Why do you think that is?”

“You just explained why he did it.” I retorted.

“Why else?”

“How am I to read the mind of another man?” I questioned. “I never knew what went on in his head.”

“He could have easily sent someone else to do that job, yet he did not. He chose to do it himself because it would have been too painful to keep living the way he was, perhaps?” she suggested. “He talked with you face to face, did he not?”

“He did.”

“Did he embrace you?”

“. . . No, no he didn’t.” She shook her head.

“He knew he was going to go. To keep watching over people you can never be with is a painful way to survive, even if you are not dead yet. He watched you grow up to be a wonderful young man, and me to be an old woman. Yet, he could never touch us, with words or with flesh. All he could do was watch. I believe he felt that his time to watch was over, and he must finally act. He put himself out of his misery and saved your, Sasuke, and my life. It was the last thing he could do for us.”

I sat there, looking at my mother, saying nothing. I was childish still, wanting my father back as if he had been simply hidden from me. I wanted to see him again, to talk with him, to. . . to know that even if he was dead that his soul still existed. . . that there was some trace of him still around. I wanted to know that even if he couldn’t be there physically, that he was still watching over us. . . But I was selfish. Could I stand to see my child and wife live and grow up while I could do nothing but sit back and watch them like their lives were some television show? I couldn’t have done it. I supposed my father had done what was best. . .

But even knowing that did not slate the ache.

“K-kaasan,” I said, hugging her and crying on her shoulder, my body shaking hard from my sorrow. She hugged me back, stroking my head and crying with me. Somehow, I think we both had the same selfish wants, but my mother had been strong enough to put them away and understand. I needed her to hold my hand to understand. . . and we both knew life still would not be quite the same.



**-**-**


I went to visit Sasuke after they removed the bullet and patched up the wound. He still looked to be a wreck, and the anesthesia was making him groggy, but he was awake enough to make a conherant conversation.

“They told me that my brother and the other Akatsuki leaders escaped.” Sasuke said. “But the subordinates were arrested, and they’re being interrogated for information. They’ll catch them soon, and they will go to jail for life. Most of them will get the death sentence for sure, too.”

“That’s good.” I said, smiling a bit. “What will you do about your financial situation?”

“I’ve still got the Uchiha fortune.” he said. “Itachi never used it because he wanted to forget about the clan, but I still have all the information, and it’s been gaining intrest for over a decade. I’m sure that there will be more than enough for me to live off of until I begin working.”

“That’s good.”

“How’s your mother?”

“She’s well. It seems she was just a little bruised and hungry.” I said. “Thank you.”

“Take care of her.” Sasuke said, kinding drifitng out of consciousness. “It’s painful to loose your parents.” I nodded.

“I know, and I will.”



**-**-**


I finally walked out of the hospital rooms and into the waiting lounge where Hinata was sitting. She was still reading and seemed to be working on something as well. When I walked up to her, she looked up at me and smiled.

“I-I know you made me promise not to follow–”

“Thank you.” I said, cutting her off. “If you hadn’t come, I don’t know what would have happened to us.”

“Hinako actually followed you. Once she saw the situation, she hurried back and got me. I called the police as I rushed to the warehouse.” she said, meekly. “I was. . . I was just so worried.”

“It’s all right.” I said, sitting next to her. “We’re all fine. They want my mother to stay over night to get her nutrition back up, and Sasuke’s sleeping soundly.”

“And you?”

“Fine except for a few scratches.” I said, smiling. She smiled back, closing her eyes as she did so. I was so happy to see her smile again. . . I was so close to never seeing her beautiful smile again. I put a hand to her cheek and kissed her softly on her lips.

I had never kissed her before, but there was something soothingly powerful about it. Even though she was stiff, there was a gentle spark that we shared in that one, fleeting moment.

“N-neji. . . I-I-I. . .”

“I love you.” I said, not afraid to say it for what it was. “More than you could ever know or imagine, I love you.” Tears began to form in her eyes.

“I. . . I was so afraid of loosing you.” she whispered, her lip trembling.

“As I was of loosing you.” I said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. “I didn’t know what I would have done to have made sure I came back to you alive. . . and you saved me.” She hugged me hard and let her tears run silently down her face.

“I don’t ever want you to put yourself in that kind of danger again.” she babbled. I embraced her, and promised I would do everything in my power never to do that again. Once she stopped crying in my chest, she picked up the stack of papers that had fallen to the floor when she hugged me.

“What’s all that?” I asked, finding hundreds of pages with some red marks on them. Hinata smiled.

“Hinako finished her novel today. She wanted me to go through it and check for errors and then send it to a publishing company.” Hinata said.

“Is it any good?” I asked. Hinata smirked in amusement, as Hinako would have had it been her.

“Of course, itooshi.” she said, slipping the papers into a manila envelope. “Of course.”




~ Owari ~
This story archived at http://www.narutofic.org/viewstory.php?sid=2175